[Drama 2019] The Joseon Romantic Comedy: Tale of Nok-Du, 조선로코: 녹두전

marykarmelina

@bebebisous33 I agree with @angrytomatothat while Heo Yoon is possibly a villain, I'm not so sure he's a "big" one. Actually, I'm not so sure yet what I think about him. As for who Nok Du really is also, and Heo Yoon's role in the massacre of Dong Joo's family, I'm also not too sure. I think the confusion is because of how the various ages line up (or don't).

• Nok Du is older than Dong Joo - but if he is the baby that Jung Yoon Jeo carried away during the war, then that means many years must have passed before the massacre of Dong Joo's family because she was quite old already (at least 9 or 10) when her family was killed.

• If that follows, then Dong Joo's family's massacre was a separate incident, not during the war.

• Nok Du is at least 20 years old? If he was born in the year of the snake and Dong Joo in the year of the goat/ram, that will make her 2 years younger than him. 18? Sounds about right. So her family must have been killed off some 8-10 years ago when Nok Du was about 10-12 and already living away on that deserted island. The young prince looks about only 10-12 though. So he must've been conceived round about when Dong Joo's family was killed. Was it mentioned anywhere that he was the previous king's son? If the previous king was King Gwang Hae's brother, that cannot make his wife the "Queen Mother". She would have been killed off in the coup already. The only way she could've survived the coup and lived on in the palace is if the previous king was Gwang Hae's father, and this "Queen Mother" was a young concubine who became emplaced as "Queen" for whatever reason. So who is this prince if not the Queen Mother's son?

*Royally confused*

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

@bebebisous33 I agree with @angrytomatothat while Heo Yoon is possibly a villain, I'm not so sure he's a "big" one. Actually, I'm not so sure yet what I think about him. As for who Nok Du really is also, and Heo Yoon's role in the massacre of Dong Joo's family, I'm also not too sure. I think the confusion is because of how the various ages line up (or don't).

• Nok Du is older than Dong Joo - but if he is the baby that Jung Yoon Jeo carried away during the war, then that means many years must have passed before the massacre of Dong Joo's family because she was quite old already (at least 9 or 10) when her family was killed.

• If that follows, then Dong Joo's family's massacre was a separate incident, not during the war.

• Nok Du is at least 20 years old? If he was born in the year of the snake and Dong Joo in the year of the goat/ram, that will make her 2 years younger than him. 18? Sounds about right. So her family must have been killed off some 8-10 years ago when Nok Du was about 10-12 and already living away on that deserted island. The young prince looks about only 10-12 though. So he must've been conceived round about when Dong Joo's family was killed. Was it mentioned anywhere that he was the previous king's son? If the previous king was King Gwang Hae's brother, that cannot make his wife the "Queen Mother". She would have been killed off in the coup already. The only way she could've survived the coup and lived on in the palace is if the previous king was Gwang Hae's father, and this "Queen Mother" was a young concubine who became emplaced as "Queen" for whatever reason. So who is this prince if not the Queen Mother's son?

*Royally confused*

OK... So I went to wiki and read up on Gwanghae-gun - in history, he was the Crown Prince and defacto ruler only because (as @bebebisous33mentioned) his father had fled during the Japanese invasion of Korea in the Seven Year War. His father, King Seonjo, had 2 consorts -- Queen Uiin, and then later Queen Inmok, known later as Queen Dowager Soseong. In the drama, she is already promoted to the title of Queen Dowager Soseong, and her son is Prince Yeongchang, the little boy with the dog. 

The Tale of Nokdu takes place in the period after the Seven Year War where Gwanghae was still ruling, but there were political factions in the royal court -- the Lesser Northerners and the Greater Northerners. Heo Yoon is of the Lesser Northerner faction which wanted to install Prince Yeongchang as king. Presumably then, Jang Yoonjeo was part of the Greater Northerner faction. Eventually, neither of these factions truly win -- King Gwanghae was eventually deposed by the Westerner faction and the son of Gwanghae's illegitimate brother was installed as king in his stead. Despite his having been deposed eventually and not accorded the respect of kings past, he is not written in the annals as having been a bad king.

In history, there is no record that Gwanghae and his queen had any sons. We can probably assume that in this drama then, Nokdu will never assume any royal position since he is purely a fictitious character built into a historical fiction.

That is definitely Aeng-du’s hand. Not only it is grabbing onto food, notice the sleeve color is very light pink. Smart girl, can recognize her man even though he is in disguise... true love? :lol:

I think DJ will think she is the “wife” that ND has been waiting for all this time :lol:

2 hours ago, elan1 said:

that would be a mega wave of LOLssss

Not only that I can envision "little finacee" acting all jealous and hit and cause trouble to DJ whenever nokdu is not looking hahaha

But being all innocent and kind when Nodku is looking hahaha 

HAHAHA... not to mention Aeng Du is a very strong little 'lady' :D. Dong Joo is gonna have a hard time for sure now that she's found a strong rival ^^. 

Even though right now, everything is pointing at Nokdu being a royal, I still don't mind it despite the fact that I never want him to be one since, you know, it's been an overused trope in sageuk Kdramas ever since. I think they only included this plotline just to spice it up a little bit and leave a little room for mystery for us viewers. As of now, I am glad that the palace issue is just a minor story to the overall drama and hope that it keeps it that way till the end. Since I know the webtoon is pure romcom, I'm sure this drama is gonna be as light as the original material, only with a few tweaks here and there, and will end like it is, HE, of course :lol:.

Watch: Kim So Hyun Playfully Knocks Jang Dong Yoon Around In Rehearsals For “The Tale Of Nokdu”

Watch: Kim So Hyun Playfully Knocks Jang Dong Yoon Around In Rehearsals For “The Tale Of Nokdu”

Oct 10, 2019
by C. Hong

Kim So Hyun and Jang Dong Yoon continue to have what looks like the best time behind-the-scenes!

The two actors are currently starring in the KBS drama “The Tale of Nokdu,” which tells the story of a man who dresses up as a woman to gain access to a mysterious all-female community, and a gisaeng-in-training who wants to pursue a different path in life.

The behind-the-scenes video released on October 9 begins with Kim So Hyun and Jang Dong Yoon rehearsing a scene in which Dong Joo grabs Nok Du by the collar and pushes him up against a wall. After rehearsing the scene a few times, Jang Dong Yoon goes to have his makeup retouched and Kim So Hyun jokes, “He’s having so much fun dressing up as a woman. He was so excited to have his makeup done.”

Jang Dong Yoon suggests that his makeup go even harder for the scene and ends up smearing red lipstick all over his face. Kim So Hyun finds this hilarious and says, “Nok Du is so pretty,” but quickly changes her mind when he smiles like the Joker and creeps her out.

Later in the clip, the two actors rehearse a scene in which Dong Joo almost pokes Nok Du’s eye out through a paper screen. The director tells Jang Dong Yoon to make his acting more dramatic, and a crew member jokes, “Dong Joo should actually poke him in the eye.” On the other side of the screen, Kim So Hyun remarks, “I think my finger has gotten the hang of it now” and jokes to a staff member, “Do you want to poke him instead?”

Jang Dong Yoon says to the camera, “It’s a little scary because Dong Joo will actually poke me. In fact, I think I’ve been poked in the eye three times already. My life is in danger but you can hear her laughing behind the screen.” Kim So Hyun says on the other side, “I think I felt his eyeball that time. This is very thrilling.”

Check out the clip below!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1357931wpp/watch-kim-so-hyun-knocks-jang-dong-yoon-rehearsals-tale-nokdu

10 hours ago, selen4ever said:

@Ameera Ali @cinnamonsterxx I think the hand belongs to ND's little "island wife". It seems like too small to belong to Nokdu and it's maybe holding something to eat (the little girl is often seen eating something like the cucumber last episode).

And meeting your mother's incredibly strong child bride would be absurd enough to seem like a weird dream the next day...

Ah I was talking about the scene in the preview where Nokdu looks like he's having trouble sleeping, too (sorry, should've cleared that out haha:sweatingbullets:) but yes yes, that hand indeed looks like it belongs to Aeng Du:D

MEME OF THE YEAR ~ :joy:

20191010-192545.png 

I swear if someone walks in on me and saw me watching this part, they'd think I'm watching something inappropriate :lol:

20191010-195933.gif 

I badly need the BTS of this...lol... kinda disappointing that KBS is not releasing the BTS part we need...

Even the always-serious Ssook is astonished at that smacking. It's going to be a Monday full of laughs.

By the way, I'm starting to get obsessed by this drama. Walking in the streets, every time I see a big woman with ponytail from a distance, I think she's a member of the Virtuous Women Corp.

Forget about the possibility of Nokdu being a tiger eomoni. Dong Ju ddal wins, all the way.

Updates from the cast:

Saw some discussion about the age of Nokdu vs Dong Ju (https://namu.wiki/w/녹두전). If the drama follows the webtoon, Nokdu is 18 and Dong Ju is 16 when they first meet. In the drama, she did say that she's born in the Year of the Goat, but he thought she was older (because she had boasted that she was already reciting the classics in the year of the snake). If he's born in the Year of the Snake, then he is possibly around 2 years older than her. Either way, he's an oppa forced to call her noo-nim when he's begging for a favour.

On 10/9/2019 at 3:49 AM, valNK said:

Let me list some questions after 4 episodes.

1. Thing everyone wants to know: whether Nokdu is the king's child.

2. Why did his father take the baby away?

And... finally, how Nokdu and Dongju fit in that palanquin? :joy:

Indeed, listing those questions just make me want to forget all and focus on our couple only LoL

Cr: DC

I'm sticking to the fact that the King was young and he didn't want a son to become the Crown Prince who will take over his throne. He wanted all the ultimate power to himself.

I have a strong feeling that Nokdu is the Crown Prince, but in the end, he's not going to take the throne, he's going to give it away to the other young prince we saw with the puppy.

About that palanquin! :joy: It is very small and the fact that they were both in there with Dongju stripping Nokdu's clothing off... Let's just say there was a lot of touching. Lol! :lol:

I am very excited to see next week's episodes and how it will turn out, especially Nokdu running around chasing after Yul Moo. Lol!

I notice that there're many hints (or should I say links?) for our couple love-progress.

1. How to deal with woman: Follow what she denies (aka too shy to admit). 

Remember the cat fight with other widows? Now, Dongju said no to the chicks and the swing, Nokdu got them for her. And even when she said she hate becoming a gisaeng but kept working on it, he helped her out. Uri Nokdu is such a good student of observation :wub:

2. Dept.

After being released from jail, Nokdu asked Dongju for money and a meal. It ends up she was released from gisaeng house and got a debenture from him. And even their surname Dong-Jeon together means Coin.

3. The rooster crow.

First time we heard it is when Dongju found out Nokdu was a man. Second time is when Nokdu told Dongju to call him mother and they got goosebumps. That sound is like taking Nokdu's masculine back to the situation. 

4. "Dal-nim".

When Dongju visited her old house and broken down, Nokdu caught her calling her daughter. Hmm... it was a bit scary when you visit an empty house at night where a massacre once happened and someone hold you back and call you the way your late mother did...T_T Anyway, it was Nokdu. And now he becomes her family, he takes her back to the time she was still a daughter. This can be the most important factor to ease her aim of revenge and suicide.

Well, we know the "mother" joke is not just-for-fun.

5. The pillows.

They went to the market and buy pillows (those blocks of wood, I guess) And then, there was a pillow fight, they switched their pillows which had same colors with their clothes... Now, they're going to switch their clothes :D

EGfNoLSUwAAJEMf?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Thanks to @herina_90, I read the review and totally agree about how different Nokdu and Yulmu to Dongju. Nokdu can wake up the her inner power, while Yulmu keeps staying around her and solves her outside-troubles. Maybe because Yulmu is just the 2nd male lead so he doesnt have any chance to understand her. It's sad for him to realize that all the things he did for her just evoked her painful past.

I'm really amazed with the details in character development and hope this drama can preserve it till the end.

BTW, should we get a name for Nokdu and Dongju? Ex: Coin Couple?

Archived