[Drama 2019] The Joseon Romantic Comedy: Tale of Nok-Du, 조선로코: 녹두전

marykarmelina

YM is the worst. He is literally a villain. 

Now knowing what we know, It must interesting to rewatch every episode and see YM’s actions/words. 

I am so sad for every woman who were already shunned and almost killed in the world outside the widows village. Now most of them are surely dead. Survivors have to deal with theirs friends being dead and theirs homes and protections destroyed. The little girls learning to be Gisaeng ? DJ’s friends ? 

I agree YM do things for himself not to save DJ. In episode 7, we know YM came only to the gibang to collect informations. He only discovered DJ’s real identity later. As DJ said, YM find her weakness and use it. So she really get YM’s manipulative nature but I don’t think she get how much YM is cruel.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yulmu came first, but Nokdu came fast.

It's all abt speed.

I was wondering how ND got DJ, but... Just look at the red collar behind, guys B)

Who can win against flying ninja :joy: 

5db0228b91a59318031355.gif?download

or sliding champion  :mrgreen: 

5db022ae9457d475584092.gif?download

One word.... INTENSE ~ 

I feel like I was watching two genres in this episode. From that sweet moment of DJ and ND...

20191023-171904.gif 

Spoiler

20191023-172334.gif 

To all the angst... I swear, KSH and JDY pairing is the best. Not only that they have undeniable and sizzling chemistry, but both of them are so great at delivering such great emotions...

20191023-174237.gif

20191023-174329.gif 

I can imagine if these two have a crying scene together, I'd be freaking bawling my eyes already.

My favorite scene would definitely be that ending ~!!!! .. add that new OST too... gaaaahhhh.. love the new song already :lol:

Spoiler

20191023-181648.gif

20191023-181720.gif

20191023-181751.gif

I just wanna give a shout out to PD-nim because he's been doing such a great job at these episode endings. Although I totally love those hilarious ones from the previous eps, I got to say ep 7 ending is my fave one so far because it's just soo BEAUTIFUL and perfect. 

Yulmu.. aigoo.. he's just plain, greedy and selfish evil, except when it comes to Dongjoo. I'm surprised that given his personality and power, he never forced anything to DJ against her will since he can do whatever he like in just a snap of a finger. He respects her and her decisions. 

But where's my fluff now? If things escalated this quickly, we should have gotten another kiss from our OTP... ha ha... DJ hasn't confessed yet. And they'll be separated in the next episode. If not for that dem baseball game last week, we should have gotten ep 8 already and not left hanging at that ending! Yes, still bitter about it :rolleyes:.

Though I was here for the rom com, I definitely love all the angst of it....except for the killings of those widows..RIP to those poor souls. It just went too dark all of a sudden at that moment.

1 hour ago, kshuuuuuw said:

OH gosh that's a kiss scene... yayyyyyy!!!!

Btw

In yesterday's episode I'm relieved I was wrong abt Nokdu's adoptive father \o/ I was happy ND is loved by both his "father & big brother".

SoHyun's acting in showing DJ's contrasting feelings abt ND were on point. 

And  abt those last minutes in the ep were heartbreaking, seeing how all the widows being brutally killed, I can't just forgive YM :angry:

1 hour ago, cherryblossomkawai said:

YM is the worst. He is literally a villain. 

Now knowing what we know, It must interesting to rewatch every episode and see YM’s actions/words. 

I am so sad for every woman who were already shunned and almost killed in the world outside the widows village. Now most of them are surely dead. Survivors have to deal with theirs friends being dead and theirs homes and protections destroyed. The little girls learning to be Gisaeng ? DJ’s friends ? 

I agree YM do things for himself not to save DJ. In episode 7, we know YM came only to the gibang to collect informations. He only discovered DJ’s real identity later. As DJ said, YM find her weakness and use it. So she really get YM’s manipulative nature but I don’t think she get how much YM is cruel.

Did yulmu got to the gisaeng house to find information and found dongjoo or vice versa. This is a chicken and egg story that will be sorted once they reveal how dongjoo landed at the gisaeng house. Why did the madame take her in? Why was she allowed to live there without having any skills to become a gisaeng? The new turn of events is very exciting. I'm more invested in the actual plot now before I was only invested in the romance. Since dongjoo has established her arrow skills can we have her join the widow assassins? She will have to take revenge against her own former fiance and the farther of her current love interest. Dang that is cruel. 

17 minutes ago, petunia said:

Did yulmu got to the gisaeng house to find information and found dongjoo or vice versa. This is a chicken and egg story that will be sorted once they reveal how dongjoo landed at the gisaeng house. Why did the madame take her in? Why was she allowed to live there without having any skills to become a gisaeng? The new turn of events is very exciting. I'm more invested in the actual plot now before I was only invested in the romance. Since dongjoo has established her arrow skills can we have her join the widow assassins? She will have to take revenge against her own former fiance and the farther of her current love interest. Dang that is cruel. 

I have to rewatch everything but I think the madame knew DJ’s mother or something. She made a promise to protect DJ. 

Since she dislike the king and believe the king was responsible of DJ’s family death, she was sympathetic to DJ’s pain and tried to help her.

I believe YM came to the gibang because of his suspicions towards minister Heo. He knew something was on the verge of happening ( he was right : gibang and widows village was home to assasins and réunion to prepare a coup). 

Theory : YM watched DJ and an inkling she wasn’t truthful about her identity. And somehow he discover her real identity. He has spies and ask where DJ come from. And then boom. Maybe DJ went to her former house and YM who already think DJ looks like her ex fiancé, concluded her real identity. 

Short preview of JDY'S Entertainment Weekly interview :lol:... yaasss.. JDY just took my heart at 0:56-1:05 and went away with it ^^.

... so funny how he has to prove he has Adam's apple by drinking ....LOL ..

Yes, yes, she's yours :wub:... KSH too if you want... HAHA 

4 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Question though - was that a chance encounter on Yulmu's part to find out the King's plan to have Prince Yeongchang killed, that fuelled his political ambition? Or had he always been biding his time, planting himself so close to the nerve centre of the political activity between the gisaeng house and the Widow Village.

While it is an intriguing idea that Yulmu had political ambitions for Dongjoo's sake, I highly doubt that that was the case. I think it more likely that he probably had it fed to him that he had more rights to the throne than Gwanghae did. Dongjoo is a side distraction that likely further justifies his ambition since he sees that his taking on the throne would "right the wrongs" of Gwanghae's rule. 

Wow I love your post! Thank you for clarifying the history about the Joseon King, posting your organised thoughts about YM, DJ and ND.. My opinion about your question.. I believe YM has ambition being a King from long time ago. He has been watching  the political activity and disguised his underground work by living at gibangs all over the country, collecting all the information. I realised in ep 7, he has his swordman Dan Oh as his right hand and also owns private army (we can see them when they ambushed the temple in Widow Village)

I agreed that Yulmu had political ambition not because of Dongjoo.. I think he was set from beginning to replace King Gwanghae by his father and Dong Ju's grandfather since Dong Ju's Grandfather get the Royal Will?? 

Dong Dongjoo

It's clear she is of aristocratic lineage. Her grandfather had possession of the secret will that would place Yeongchang on the throne and Minister Heo was the one who ordered the massacre of the family because of it. Before her grandfather died, he had said to Minister Heo that he would regret ever having taken this will. Why is that?

I think when the dongju's grandfather said " You will regret taking the royal order from me"

My interpretation: Heo and King GwangHae should be afraid of him as he has the royal will. It means he has an upper hand over the King. He kept the royal will quite for some time without exercising the will. it's possible that he never wanted to install Yeong chang as King but to crown YM. When someone's child/grandchild is betrothed to another powerful family, I think it's political arranged marriage. So i guessed it implicates in Dongju and Yulmu's engagement. 

Afterall, wasn't Minister Heo of the faction that exactly wanted to install Yeongchang as King? 

Heo was loyal to Gwang Hae before.. I think he changed his mind after serving Gwang Hae for some time and decided Gwang Hae must be Replaced. The reason? His greed for more power.. not as King's servant.

How will her story be resolved with Nokdu then? If she believes the death of Gwanghae to be the revenge that she needs and Nokdu is Gwanghae's son, then this is the lousy "Romeo and Juliet, Capulet vs Montague" trope. Oh, please. NooooooOOOOoOoOoo..

The show told us that Lee Duk (NokDu) was legally dead as he's infant 20 years ago. Eun Seo (Dong Ju) was dead 6 year ago. Remember both were killed by the same person, Gwang Hae. in recent ep, Dong Ju apologized to her late mom that she couldn't stop loving Nokdu. She desperately wants to be with him. (It's The CLUE!!!) I think finally she still go to Nokdu despite knowing him as the enemy's son.  This show will become a beautiful love story where two of them live together far away from the Palace and political things... Lets enjoy the ride  

Yulmu is double cruel after I watch this episode with sub T___T

And once again, I have to say: no way back for him since he's Injo. Even though this is a fictional story, once they bring real historical figures into it, they cant change any history event. So you guys may know how will this drama end.

Back to our drama, 

1- The question: whether Yulmu knows abt Dongjoo's killing-king-revenge. Does he aim to get the throne bcs of Dongjoo? See the reason he destroyed the village. To sweep all Muwol trace? Like madame Chun said, it's no need to be that much, those widows were innocent. It's not that ND was still in the village for him to kill either.  And why he hasnt killed ND yet? He hasnt known ND is the king's child is one of the reason. Bcs of DJ's words is an excuse. He's annoyed by ND, but totally underestimates ND to consider him as his rival threat. Which also means DJ's tearful confession didnt burden him. And it's true, he ignored her feelings, he burned her village. That's not love, that's possession and manipulation over his once-upon-a-time-finance.

It's fair to say he showing off his aim to the throne is just bcs his time is coming, Yeongchang is dead, nothing related with ND or DJ here. So all of these just shows his thirst of blood, power and kind of psycho :fearful:

Btw, DJ once said he got her weakness and manipulated her somehow, so I guess that DJ's already known his true color.

2- Now YM's the only villain here. Since Heo shows off as an officer who is searching for a good king. Bringing Yeongchang to the throne doesnt mean he gonna betray Kwanghae, he's just loyal to later king. He  and madame Chun are the real protectors of the village. So it's necessary for them to team up wih ND asap... But we know the result.

The point is: does madame Chun know DJ's background? She treated DJ in a very special way.  So if she does know DJ, Lord Heo may know too. So there's no way they just keep her here for no purpose. 

3-  @kshuuuuuw Indeed I think up till now, it's Nokdu who is a damsel in distress :lol:. Everybody kept secret from him for... 20yrs and now, they hurt him in order to protect him. He's the one who is clueless abt everything and has no real plan to access the truth. The only difference is he's a male lead aka male center, so he's allowed to do things clever.

But for DJ, although I'm so unpleased with her suddenly-fading-out, to tell the truth, it's her choice. That's what the character aim to be. She settles her own path, focuses on it and keeps herself away from everyone despite she knows how much ppl love her, only ND is annoying enough to distract her -_- But I'm still praying for her plan. Writer-nim, pls dont waste KSH talent for any stupid lovesick or revenge thing. Pls show us what she's really doing.

PS1: I'm still suffering from the village-burning scene :dissapointed_relieved:

PS2: If you want to watch a real rom-com, just watch the BTS

awww i love the bts - its hilarious they were laughing sooooooooooo much when the scene is supposed to be all sad and moody. Glad they are all having fun on set. Love reading all the analysis by everyone - will try to add when I finish watching ep 7 with subs! 

19 minutes ago, valNK said:

Here's my opinion about your questions :D I love to discuss this drama ...

19 minutes ago, valNK said:

1- The question is that whether Yulmu knows abt Dongjoo's killing-king-revenge.

.Watching his 1st episode that he's the one who found Dongju's will when she went for her revenge. I think he knew and that's why he thinks she's an ally and good for him

And does he aim to get the throne bcs of her? 

I don't think so.. He has hidden agenda long time ago. I think it's his family and the political party who back up his family.

Why did he want to destroy the village?

The King is suspicious with the village and the people from the village. He's looking for witness.  YM must cut his trails and left no traces to avoid the King have any tiny suspicious about him. He use thugs robbed the village as the cover.

Like madame Chun said, it's no need to be that much, those widows were innocent.

But some of them maybe ever met YM and afraid mention his name to the King...  HOWEVER, YM forgot about Yong Geun.. I really want to know what Yong Geun told the King. I think the King is aware about YM

2- Now YM's the only villain here. Since Heo shows off as an officer who is searching for a good king. Bringing Yeongchang to the throne doesnt mean he gonna betray Kwanghae, he's just loyal to later king. He  and madame Chun are the real protectors of the village. So it's necessary for them to team up wih ND apas... But we know the result.

I think Heo is a greedy minister. Nokdu's dad knows about his personality that's why he asked Heo.. what kind of treason plan you are making now... (something like that). The King Gwang Hae over power him that's why Heo wish to replace the king with the young and inexperience King? I'm not sure ND's dad will team up with Heo to make ND to replace the King.

Madame Chun know DJ's background? She treated DJ in a very special way.  

True, I'm curious too..

So if she does know DJ, Lord Heo may know too. So there's no way they just keep her here for no purpose. 

I don't think she told Heo Yet. Madam Cheon is a very smart person and she really cares for her girls. But she knows YM is eyeing on Dongju

3-  But for DJ, although I'm so unpleased with her suddenly-fading-out, to tell the truth, it's her choice. That's what the character aim to be. She settles her own path and focuses on it, kept herself away from everyone despite how much ppl loves her, only ND is annoying enough to make her distract -_- But I'm still praying for her plan. Writer-nim, pls dont waste KSH talent for any stupid lovesick or revenge thing. Pls show us what she's really doing. 

I think KSH is really shining in ep 7. And I'm happy that the drama shows that she's a very strong woman, who is so much in love with Nokdu, and protect Nokdu from Evil YM using her own way. She can fight along the villagers too.. I love she's using her bow to safe the lady cop of Muweol Village.. She totally nailed it! :wub:

Me too.. I'm very sad they destroy the village... the memory of Muweol Village :bawling:

And I love the last part of the episode... Nokdu run like a bullet to safe his princess. Dongju called his name and Nokdu really came just in time catch her in his arm... SWOOOOOOOOOOONN!!!:wub:

4 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

@petunia gisaeng Nok-Du , what would be his skill :joy: ( dancing ) 

Show and tell to prove he has an adams apple and of course abs. Who said a gisaeng can't have abs and we can never talk about nokdu without talking about his abs. Anyone need any fish?

4 hours ago, cherryblossomkawai said:

I have to rewatch everything but I think the madame knew DJ’s mother or something. She made a promise to protect DJ. 

Since she dislike the king and believe the king was responsible of DJ’s family death, she was sympathetic to DJ’s pain and tried to help her.

I believe YM came to the gibang because of his suspicions towards minister Heo. He knew something was on the verge of happening ( he was right : gibang and widows village was home to assasins and réunion to prepare a coup). 

Theory : YM watched DJ and an inkling she wasn’t truthful about her identity. And somehow he discover her real identity. He has spies and ask where DJ come from. And then boom. Maybe DJ went to her former house and YM who already think DJ looks like her ex fiancé, concluded her real identity. 

I'm not ready to believe how much the madame knows. Did she already know the true identity of yulmu? Has she always known about him since he came to the gibang? I'm also not sure if they will ever answer the question regarding how he knew the true identity of dongjoo if she was presumed to have perished with her family. She must have been 9-10 at the time of the incident how did she manage to escape after being buried? Who helped her and why? What am sure of is yulmu wanting to become king has nothing to do with dongjoo. His ambitions are his own but at the same time I do think he genuinely loves dongjoo but in the way only a psycho ambitious person can love another person. 

7 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

@lightbringer06 Every time I think Nokdu & Yulmoo are cousins, I understand The meaning to the phrase kissing cousins  :joy::mrgreen:

* nokdu should be excited to meet the whole family & greet them with passion :lol:

That scene just reminded me of when we know nothing of Yulmu. Those were the good times... yeah, good times ^_^. That image of him now is completely buried in the very back of my mind because I only see selfish evil Yulmu now.

I too hope Dongjoo joins the Muwol and starts training her other skills besides archery while she and ND are separated for the meantime. I still believe that the grave where she was crying is not ND's because the conversation between her and Ssook was her saying it was the doings of the robbers and Ssook telling her they will pay for it. My guess is that it would probably be one of the widows she's close to, or any females she is close to. But, yeah, there's a slight possibility it might be a fake ND death because why else would they be separated if ND will choose to fake his death. But then again, Nokdu isn't like that, why would he hurt the woman he loves the most by faking his death? He himself knows the sorrow of losing someone you love but to go as far as fake his own death isn't like him. So, noble idiocy? Please... hope not.

28 minutes ago, lightbringer06 said:

I too hope Dongjoo joins the Muwol and starts training her other skills besides archery while she and ND are separated for the meantime. I still believe that the grave where she was crying is not ND's because the conversation between her and Ssook was her saying it was the doings of the robbers and Ssook telling her they will pay for it. My guess is that it would probably one of the widows she's close to, or any females she is close to. But, yeah, there's a slight possibility it might be a fake ND death because why else would they be separated if ND will choose to fake his death. But then again, Nokdu isn't like that, why would he hurt the woman he loves the most by faking his death? He himself knows the sorrow of losing someone you love but to go as far as fake his own death isn't like him. So, noble idiocy? Please... hope not.

I hope he doesnt disappear willingly on DongJoo after what he asked of her to do in this ep. He looks pretty hurt in the preview though so maybe Master Hwang did some saving and he woke up sometime later, wanting to go back. I am curious though - they destroyed the widow village but did the gisaeng house survive? It's in close proximity and would have the same "history" as the widow village no? What if DongJoo's friend Hwa Soo is the one who died? Wouldn't want that though, because then really everyone in DongJoo's world is dying. I doubt its the Madam Cheon who died since she's in Hanyang. I hope the Virtuous Corps survives and joins Muwol too. 

Maybe DongJoo ends up in HanYang with YulMu and HwangTae somehow... then we get that HT-DJ link as with the webtoon? They stil haven't even met haha. And well the secrets are rather rapidly revealing! ND knows he's the king's son, Mdm Cheon should know he is male by now, where will the 'conspiracy' bring us?

Archived