[Drama 2019] The Joseon Romantic Comedy: Tale of Nok-Du, 조선로코: 녹두전

marykarmelina

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of spoiler:

Spoiler

At this rate, I don't know how Nok-du is going to keep his "secret". Not only pretty-ninja-girl :P is suspecting more and more, but Kang So-young... errrr, the assassins' boss is being closer to catch him.

And now pretty-ninja-girl is in danger. I really hope the writers don't try to kill her, because it would be a tooooo easy way to save Nok-du.

Edit: pretty-ninja-girl's name is Deul-rae. I writting it here for me not to forget it :sweatingbullets:

2 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

EDIT: O.M.G.. the ending is exactly like in the webtoon, which I totally love :kiss_wink:

I loved that ending too! So lucky I could catch the live-stream today.

Video of ending scene:

English translation for Dong Joo's and Nokdu's dialogue in the ending scene:

Spoiler

Dong Ju:  I'm Dong Joo from the Gibaeng.

(He tilts her face upward and she is surprised to be facing Nokdu.)

Nokdu: (teasing) You look a bit irritated.

Dong Ju: How did you appear here?

Nokdu:  I have something to say to you.

Dong Ju: At this place?

Nokdu: Yes, it's the appropriate time to say this. From today onwards, I will be....your mother.

Dong Ju: What?

Nokdu: Yes, your mother.

Credits for translation (KR to CN): https://www.weibo.com/kimsohyun?refer_flag=1005055013_&is_hot=1

English translation for Dong Joo's and Nokdu's dialogue during the dance practice by the stream:

Spoiler

Nokdu:  I'm telling you this with sincerity: why don't you find another way.

Dong Ju: You jerk...

Nokdu:  No matter how I look at it, you're not suited to become a gisaeng. It's not something you can just do just because you want to.

Dong Ju: Who said I wanted to become a gisaeng. You said it's something that you can't do just because you want to? It's something that I don't want to do but don't have a choice.

Nokdu: Apologies, my thinking is too shallow.

Dong Ju: Forget it.

Nokdu:  Next time, I will also be like other people doing whatever I wish to do. Why...do you think I look handsome now? Why aren't you responding? I thought you would have rebutted me.

Dong Ju: Handsome, my foot! It's almost dry. Let's hurry back.

Credits for translation (KR to CN): https://www.weibo.com/kimsohyun?refer_flag=1005055013_&is_hot=1

More translations available at this fan's twitter account:

https://twitter.com/zarazarafa/status/1181201618034810880

Preview for Episodes 7-8:

14 minutes ago, angrytomato said:

You read my mind. I was like "Wow! A deep one, that early??" (but Love Alarm's first kiss was even faster).

But it’s coming soon , the touch between them is electric :mrgreen: - they not dump to not notice it :lol:

download

download

32 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

Shouldn’t she take it , so he wouldn’t cover up his abs :joy: 

She's got this tomboy reputation and can't ruin it just by drooling at a perfect, shaved, wide, tanned chest along with, yes, these prominent abs. You will surely understand her.

And she's the main lead. She knows the male main lead will be at her feet. With his abs.

Another water scene with So hyun?!? hahaha 

Drama Team: We would like you to join our drama!

So Hyun: Will there be a water scene?

Drama Producer: We can make it happen!

So Hyun: Sign me up!

Related image

Hahaha So many of So hyun dramas since 2015 has a water scene (School 2015, Radio Romance, Pure Love, Ruler) with the exception of Love Alarm...but maybe in season 2 there will be one as well :lol:

Ooooh things are heating up between our not-woman Nok Doo & tomboy Dong Joo ha-ha:lol: It's funny that it seem as if they both switch gender! Dong Joo really suck as a dancer while Nok Doo seem to excel at almost well, everything:w00t: I just knew it was him to save her at the end though... "I am your Mother.."  huh LoL!?

Ahahah that scene where Nok Doo ripped his clothes look like an instant Aladdin inspired costume LoL:lol: I feel like this drama gives whatever excuse to expose his washboard abs on full display. I'm not complaining though..:phew: 

@elan1

WoW that's really shocking to see the many water related scenes So Hyun has in her other dramas! I'm sure it's coincidental;) What I'm concerned most though, So Hyun has been known to have mishaps during filming.. like didn't she have a horse riding accident of some sort? Luckily she's fine.

“Tale Of Nok-Du” Going Strong As No. 1 Monday-Tuesday Drama

Tale of Nok-Du” is still going strong as the No.1 Monday-Tuesday drama!

According to Nielsen Korea, the October 8 broadcast of the new rom-com recorded 5.4 and 7.1 percent viewership, making it the top drama in its time slot. Meanwhile, SBS’s variety show “Little Forest” aired its final episode on October 8, recording 3 and 3.8 percent.

In cable broadcasting, JTBC’s “Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency” recorded 3.297 percent viewership.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1357523wpp/tale-of-nok-du-going-strong-as-no-1-monday-tuesday-drama

Child actors and Nokdu

Jang Dongyoon and Kim Sohyun ended save each other on 'The Tale of Nokdu'.

8393f16ecb48be0067bb3aaa1f0eb8a7.jpg

(+48,-1) Let's go for Best Couple awards!

(+37,0) It was so fun yesterday, I feel they're doing a good job in romance comedy.

(+22,-2) It's like Jang Dongyoon's top star~

(+12,0) Its so funny.

(+2,0) It's a lot more fun than Arthdal.

(+1,0) Kim Sohyun and Jang Dongyoon's chemistry ㅠㅠㅠ  Besides of that, the other actors and actresses have great acting skill

https://www.storykpop.com/2019/10/jang-dongyoon-and-kim-sohyun-ended-save.html

Watch: Jang Dong Yoon Impresses “Tale Of Nok-Du” Cast With His Muscular Shoulders

KBS has released a new behind-the-scenes video for “Tale of Nok-Du”!

The drama is a romantic comedy about a man named Jeon Nok Du (played by Jang Dong Yoon), who disguises himself as a woman so he can enter an all-female community, which holds clues to uncovering the truth of his past.

In the latest behind-the-scenes look, Jang Dong Yoon and his fellow cast members have a blast as they film scenes of Nok Du’s first days in the all women’s village.

tale-of-nok-du5.jpg

The first scene shows Nok Du’s encounter with the village guard after entering unaware of the women-only rule. After being confronted by one of the guard, Jang Dong Yoon says to the actress, “You’re so intimidating. Even more so because you’re tall. I feel like I’m really going to get hit.”

Jang Dong Yoon adds, “I really feel like a guy that walked into a women’s locker room. It’s scary.”

Later, the actresses offer Jang Dong Yoon some fresh fruit, and he tells them that he’s already had some. Jokingly, they reply, “Did you say you’ve already had some? Why didn’t you share?”

tale-of-nok-du-2.jpg

During a bath scene with a disguised Nok Du, the village guard, and Dong Ju (Kim So Hyun), the actors try to work out how much of Jang Dong Yoon’s top they can take off in the scene. Seeing his exposed shoulders, the actresses comment, “You’re saying we’re not supposed to know he’s a guy? His muscles look too good,” and they eventually decide on only exposing one shoulder.

After falling into the water, Jang Dong Yoon says, “It feels like my legs are paralyzed. No lie, it’s colder than ice water.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1357515wpp/watch-jang-dong-yoon-impresses-tale-of-nok-du-cast-with-his-muscular-shoulders

Just watched episode 3 (or 5&6 if you're counting in 30 min blocks) and am loving this show! The pacing, the storytelling, the background intrigues and the humour! Jang Dong Yoon is totally nailing it with his cross-dressing and trying to convince (as he is meant to) the women around him that he is one of them! I'm also loving that the women there, suspicious ones aside, are all starting to take to his Lady Kim alter-ego and slowly bringing him into their community. I do wonder what would happen when the great reveal to the entire community of women takes place. Will they start to trust men more after they've encountered him? Or would they feel absolutely betrayed by him? It's difficult to say, considering the women are all there because they have been betrayed by the men (and their families) in their life. Not everyone's gonna be pleased when they find out that he's actually a man, though at the same time, it does look like not many know that a significant sub-community in their midst serve the bidding of powerful men in their society.

And that's where the intrigue is really being set up very well. I like how seamlessly they are pulling all the people and connections together, giving us some idea of how people are related, but dropping only hints of the nature of each relationship such that our interests are now piqued as we join Nok Du vicariously through our TV screens to solve his mystery. As it stands now, this is what I think could be going on, but who knows, ya?

• The current king does not seem to have been at ease since his ascension to the throne. He does not sleep well and seems threatened by that young prince that is with the woman the king refers to as "Mother". That's a curiosity in itself because she certainly looks too young to be his mother, which can only mean she must be the wife of the previous king he must've either deposed or inherited his title from. Does that make that young prince his half-brother? But if King Gwang Hae ascended the throne at the same time the baby was born, and that baby is Nok Du, then how is that young prince his brother? Not possible timeline and age-wise. That prince is too young to have been conceived by the "mother" from the previous king who must have died in order for the current king to have taken over. UNLESS

• King Gwang Hae and his queen were expecting the baby before the war that killed many, including Dong Joo's family. Dong Joo is younger than Nok Du, and her family is massacred (which we see in her flashback memories) when she was still very little. That must have been the war that placed King Gwang Hae in his seat. BUT

• Nok Du's "father" supposedly died during the war when Nok Du was a baby. If Nok Du is older than Dong Joo, but was a baby at the start of the war, then perhaps this was a long drawn civil war and Dong Joo was born later, with Nok Du being born at the start of the war?

• Nok Du's "father", Jang Yoon Jeo, clearly ended up in a camp different from Minister Heo. But he was holding onto baby Nok Du and Minister Heo let them both live. Was it because he ultimately could not kill them but also did not want either of them to survive and hence current regrets leading to attempts to kill Jang Yoon Jeo and his family now? From yesterday's episode, he clearly is the one who is commanding the female assassins.    

• And so I'm thinking, perhaps King Gwang Hae was not the one who was after baby Nok Du's life. His queen talks about it and he is upset about it being mentioned, but he is not angry per se. He asked Minister Heo again if the baby did indeed die, but perhaps not out of malice, but lingering hope? The other court officials who were in the shrine mentioned that the King lacks an heir, but is threatened by that young prince who is with the young woman King Gwang Hae refers to as "Mother". Is he the next in line to the throne if King Gwang Hae passes on without an heir? SO

• Did Minister Heo pretend to be on King Gwang Hae's side all this while because he had seen that during the time of the revolt, King Gwang Hae's faction was definitely to win and so to ally himself with the winning party just to stay alive? Because clearly, he is not a fan nor true loyal subject of King Gwang Hae. Maybe Jang Yoonjeo was that true loyal subject instead which Minister Heo spun lies against, telling King Gwang Hae that Jang Yoon Jeo killed his son and therefore Minister Heo killed Yoon Jeo.

I'm still waiting to see how Dong Joo's family is connected to all of this though. What if it turns out that her family is of the faction that is against Nok Du's family? Afterall, she wants to kill the king, so clearly he has something to do with her family's death. :unsure:

I for one don't believe that Hwang Tae is the actual royal baby. I do think Nok Du is the one. But Hwang Tae had to change his name and live under his current pseudonym instead of Jang XX (which was what his mother tried to say at her death bed). The family had to give up the family name "Jang" cos of Nok Du, cos clearly, the King for some reason wanted Jang Yoon Jeo's life, and it's Minister Heo that wants Nok Du's life.

Archived