[Drama 2019] The Joseon Romantic Comedy: Tale of Nok-Du, 조선로코: 녹두전

marykarmelina

For the first time, I'm about to get a Viki account to watch Tale of Nok-du, but wonder if they are going to release every episode soon after it is aired on KBS (at least, giving some time for the volunteers to translate it to English). Are there any other alternatives to *legally* watch ToN? (don't talk about illegal ones, I already know them), besides living in SK and understanding Korean?

And I guess Viki streaming will be available in Europe, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Table122000 said:

Here is Teaser 5 with subs from Viki:

https://www.viki.com/videos/1157422v-teaser-5

Unfortunately, the Tale Of NokDu in Viki is not available in my region as always. :pensive:

Even If it is, I can't afford to watch the premium (Viki Pass) version.

Even If I have a Viki Account, I have to wait for several days to watch the full episode in Viki.   (Non Viki Pass Accounts)

11 hours ago, angrytomato said:

For the first time, I'm about to get a Viki account to watch Tale of Nok-du, but wonder if they are going to release every episode soon after it is aired on KBS (at least, giving some time for the volunteers to translate it to English). Are there any other alternatives to *legally* watch ToN? (don't talk about illegal ones, I already know them), besides living in SK and understanding Korean?

And I guess Viki streaming will be available in Europe, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks in advance.

Tale of Nokdu has also been liscensed by Kocowa and VIU.

Kocowa: https://www.kocowa.com/series/the-tale-of-nokdu/2308902

VIU: https://www.viu.com

As far as when episodes are released on Viki, the raw episodes are usually released  anywhere from 2-24 hours after the episode airs in South Korea and then the teams start to work on them. Average time for the raw upload is usually around 5-6 hours after episode airs SK.  The volunteer teams do not start to work on the episodes until after the raw files are uploaded to Viki, so you will not see translations right away as soon as the raw files are uploaded. In other words, Viki does not post the episodes fully subbed, it only posts the raw files. There is a % indicator that you can check the progress of the team. It usually takes anywhere from 24-72 hours for an episode to be segmented and completely translated into english, depending on the size of the team. Then, the editors work on it some more before it is "released to other languages". At that point, other languages begin translation and editing work. 

We will have to see what happens with Tale of Nokdu. Since this drama is also on Kocowa, I do not anticipate upload of the episodes at Viki to happen before 6 hours after broadcast in SK.  Because of the popularity of this drama, I am anticipating that the team will be large and the episodes will be segmented and subbed quickly after upload, so it may be even less than 24 hours after upload before it is fully subbed. And I feel the editing will go quickly as well, although a lot of people don't care about that. 

Dong-yoon's coffee truck is driven by teddies :P

And... am I wrong or the caption says "unnies truck" instead of "oppas truck"? Another joke about JDY's femininity? LOL, he must be facepalming all the time...

@Table122000, that's not an answer, but a full Viki guide! Thanks a lot!

As for the alternatives...

KOCOWA: "We are truly sorry. Kocowa is currently only available in North and South America (...)"

VIU: Some Asian countries and South Africa.

So we Europeans must stay at Viki, I guess.

@angrytomato You're welcome! :) Sorry if it was a little too much, but I wanted to let you know more of the process at Viki since lately there has been a lot of things going on at that site.  Many people don't understand about how the volunteer model works at Viki  ( and unfortunately Viki does not make things clear) and it often leads to a lot of frustration and bad feelings. Viki works very differently from the other legal streaming sites because they do not use paid subtitling teams but volunteers who work on the dramas as time permits between real life jobs, school, family. 

As a result, the subtitling process is slower than at other legal streaming sites. And you are correct that  when other sites post episodes they post them fully subbed and edited, whereas Viki posts the episodes raw. So a lot of Viki viewers come to the site expecting the same procedures as at other sites and are upset when things are so different. 

I just wanted you (and anyone else new to Viki) to have an understanding of the process so you could know what to expect and wouldn't be upset. 

Anyway, as I said before since this drama is super popular I expect that it should be subbed quickly. it will be interesting to see how fast things get done because Viki is trying to repair damage to its reputation right now. 

@Table122000, Viki and translating off-topic:

Spoiler

No, please, don't misinterpret me... the longest and well explained a speech is, the more I'm loving it. And I understand it pretty well: some years ago, I was also a volunteer at translating (Japanese manga, in my case), but with no schedule or time pressure.

Actually, I've watched several series at Viki (no pass, free access) and I was always annoyed by a zillion comments like "por favor subs en español"... "onde estão os subs de língua portuguesa?"... "it's been 0.00001 seconds since this episode's upload and still no English subs" :sweatingbullets:

Finally D-1!! I’ve been waiting for this drama since the day first casting news broke out, already 6 months ago. 

Btw I’m still struggling to find a legally source to watch TheTaleofNokdu since none of Viu, viki and kokowa available in my country and none of the vod platforms in my country has bought Nokdu yet :bawling:

Kang Tae Oh, Kim So Hyun, And Jang Dong Yoon Share What To Watch For In “Tale Of Nok-Du” Premiere

With just one day till the premiere of the new KBS 2TV Monday-Tuesday drama “Tale of Nok-Du,” Jang Dong Yoon, Kim So Hyun, and Kang Tae Oh personally shared what viewers should look out for in the drama.

“Tale of Nok-Du” is a fun romantic comedy set in the Joseon era that tells the story of Jeon Nok Du (played by Jang Dong Yoon), who disguises himself as a woman to enter a mysterious all-female community, and Dong Dong Joo (played by Kim So Hyun), a gisaeng-in-training who wants to be anything but a gisaeng (female courtesan). Kang Tae Oh will play Cha Yul Mu, a handsome man who is also a great chef.

Jang-Dong-Yoon4.jpg

Jang Dong Yoon will be taking on his first historical drama through “Tale of Nok-Du” and will also be playing a character who disguises himself as a woman. He said, “We’ve done a lot of preparations and worked really hard for this drama, so I’m excited and nervous,” and “From the first episode, viewers will be able to see Nok Du, who is disguised as a woman, and Dong Joo meeting, as well as the various characters who live in the community. The drama is like an assorted gift set that brings action, melodrama, and comedy. I can guarantee that this will be a fun drama to watch so please tune in.”

Along with him is Kim So Hyun, who will play a character who isn’t afraid to speak her mind. She said, “I still can’t believe that our drama is starting soon. We’ve been working hard since the summer, so I hope we get a good response. I hope viewers will enjoy the drama as a Joseon romantic comedy,” and “The setting in refreshing, as an all-female community in the Joseon era, and the characters all stand out. The first episode will also explain why Dong Joo decided to cut her hair short and how it became her trademark characteristic, so please anticipate it.”

Kim-So-Hyun3.jpgKang-Tae-Oh.jpg

Sharing his excitement for the drama’s premiere, Kang Tae Oh said, “The drama will be so fun that you won’t realize that time is passing, so please tune in and give it your attention.” He also shared what to watch for in the drama as he said, “We’ve captured many beautiful landscapes that Korea has to offer. The various colors and unique characters will create a fun viewing experience that makes the drama even more enjoyable.”

“Tale of Nok-Du” is set to premiere on September 30 at 10 p.m. KST and will be available with English subtitles on Viki.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1355666wpp/kang-tae-oh-kim-so-hyun-and-jang-dong-yoon-share-what-to-watch-for-in-tale-of-nok-du-premiere

K-Drama Sneak Peek: Jang Dong Yoon Challenges Cross-Gender Acting In “Tale of Nokdu”

KBS 2TV’S NEWEST OFFERING IS SHAPING UP TO BE HILARIOUSLY ENTERTAINING WHILE CHALLENGING GENDER BOUNDARIES.

Tale of Nokdu is an upcoming historical romantic comedy drama set in the Joseon era. It stars Jang Dong Yoon, in his first sageuk role, and Kim So Hyun, a historical drama veteran. While a number of dramas featured a woman dressing up as a man for a reason, Tale of Nokdu is the opposite.

FEATURED

K-Drama Sneak Peek: Jang Dong Yoon Challenges Cross-Gender Acting In “Tale of Nokdu”

By Emylyn | September 29, 2019

KBS 2TV’S NEWEST OFFERING IS SHAPING UP TO BE HILARIOUSLY ENTERTAINING WHILE CHALLENGING GENDER BOUNDARIES.

Tale of Nokdu is an upcoming historical romantic comedy drama set in the Joseon era. It stars Jang Dong Yoon, in his first sageuk role, and Kim So Hyun, a historical drama veteran. While a number of dramas featured a woman dressing up as a man for a reason, Tale of Nokdu is the opposite.

Tale of Nokdu

Offering a fresh take on gender swapping roles in K-Dramaland, it will be interesting to watch the transformation of Jang Dong Yoon as he portrays a man dressing up as a woman in a time period when doing so is definitely deemed controversial and unheard of.

THE MAIN PLOT

A man disguises himself as a woman to enter a widow village. He meets a young woman who is a reluctant gisaeng in training. With Jeon Nokdu trying to conceal his true gender and Dong Dong Ju rebelling against a life set out for her, these two characters go on a journey finding themselves.

It is a romantic comedy so viewers can expect a ton of hilarious moments happening in the drama which only makes more exciting. From the teaser video below, which seems to show the main leads’ first encounter, it is a guarantee that Tale of Nokdu is going to be a fun watch.

THE MAIN LEADS

JANG DONG YOON AS JEON NOKDU

He aspires to be the best general the country would have. He prides himself with his great visual and physical strength. Growing up in a small island, he dreams of going out to see the big world someday. His father discourages him from getting off the island and his neighbors find his dream hilarious.

Tale-of-Nokdu1.jpg

An attack in their family home forces Jeon Nokdu to go away. He finds himself in a village full of women. Since no man is allowed to stay inside the widow village, Jeon Nokdu has no other option but to dress like a woman and present himself as a widow.

KIM SO HYUN AS DONG DONG JU

A young woman who is training to be a gisaeng. Her personality is different from the women in the village. She speaks her mind and could not stand injustice. She has no innate characteristics that would make her a perfect gisaeng as she can’t sing or dance. However, she is good with her hands if she is given tools to use with.

Tale of Nokdu

Dong Ju refuses the path chosen for her, so she is planning to leave the village at the right moment. However, her plans of escape may be derailed by the appearance of a suspicious “widow”.

KANG TAE OH AS CHA YOOL MU

Known in the village for his good looks and his ability to cook. He knows Dong Dong Ju since they were children. Despite the attention he gets from women and gisaengs-in-training, he only has eyes for Dong Dong Ju.

Tale-of-Nokdu4.jpg

Other casts include Jung Joon Ho as King Gwang Hae, the troubled King of Joseon and Kim Tae Woo Heo Yoon, the King’s most trusted man and loyal subject.

Actress Yun Yoo Soon plays Haeng Soo Cheon, the courtesan who sheltered and took Dong Dong Ju in.

Lee Seung Joon takes on the role of Jung Yoon Jeo the father of Jeon Nokdu. There is a mystery that surrounds his character as he was born from a noble family.

THE CREATIVE TEAM

PD Kim Dong Hwi takes on the directing duties for Tale of Nokdu. His works include co-directing the 2017 drama Fight For My Way and the 2015 KBS 2TV’s special drama The Merchant: Gaekju 2015.

Writers Im Ye Jin (Love in the Moonlight, Who Are You: School 2015) and Baek So Yeon (Drama Special Seaon 9: Dreamers, Drama Special Season 8: The Reason We Can’t Sleep) are in charge of the screenplay.

Tale of Nokdu is based on the webcomic of the same title which was first published on Naver in December 2014. The TV series adaptation will premiere on September 30 at 10PM KST.

https://www.hellokpop.com/kdrama/tale-of-nokdu-k-drama-sneak-peek/

Archived