[Drama 2019] The Joseon Romantic Comedy: Tale of Nok-Du, 조선로코: 녹두전

marykarmelina

Jang Dong Yoon Describes Preparations For âThe Tale Of Nokduâ + Portraying A Man Disguised As A Woman

Jang Dong Yoon Describes Preparations For “The Tale Of Nokdu” + Portraying A Man Disguised As A Woman

Jang Dong Yoon shared his thoughts on his latest drama “The Tale of Nokdu,” which aired its final episode on November 25.

The romantic comedy told the story of Jeon Nok Du (played by Jang Dong Yoon), who disguised himself as a woman in order to enter a mysterious all-female community, and Dong Dong Joo (played by Kim So Hyun), who didn’t want to become a gisaeng (female courtesan).

Speaking about the drama coming to an end, Jang Dong Yoon said, “It was hectic because I filmed until the very end, so I think it’ll linger with me that much longer. It doesn’t feel real right now.”

Through “The Tale of Nokdu,” the actor was able to prove his knack for action scenes. “I really wanted to try acting in action scenes,” he said. “But since I played many student roles, I couldn’t do them often. I’m extroverted and like to exercise. I prepared a lot and basically lived at the action school.”

He continued, “The peak of my acting in action scenes was probably the island action scene in the first episode. We had some extra time, so we filmed it in one-take without a stand-in. After seeing the result, I became more ambitious about action scenes.”

Jang-Dong-Yoon_1.jpg

Jang Dong Yoon appeared leaner in this drama compared to his previous roles. He explained, “I wanted to do a better job in action scenes appearance-wise as well. I reduced my body fat percentage to 3 percent through diet and aerobic exercise. I wanted to slowly bulk up afterward, but the director said, ‘I think a sleek image fits Nokdu well.'”

The actor received praise for his realistic transformation into a woman, where he showed a different kind of portrayal from previous onscreen male characters who dressed up as women in the past. Jang Dong Yoon commented, “Since it was a shocking topic, I wanted to avoid things that were trite. In order to portray widow Kim, I tried to do something different from the past. I think I played a part in breaking pre-existing stereotypes and prejudices about male characters dressed up as women. I am also a fan of widow Kim.”

Jang Dong Yoon also gained attention for the tone of his voice after transforming into widow Kim, which made it difficult to tell if he was a man or a woman. He explained, “I thought that women also had various tones such as high-tone and mid-tone.”

As for his beautiful facial features that contributed to his portrayal of a woman and earned praise from viewers, Jang Dong Yoon said, “I actually had a complex in the past about wanting to have a face with big, bold features. But I think that having a face with big, bold features wouldn’t have fit well with playing a woman. I realized that my past insecurity could be used as a strength.”

When asked about the difficulty of playing two roles, he answered, “It was okay because the Nok Du who disguised himself as a woman and the Nok Du who was a man were the same Jeon Nok Du and not two different personalities of one character.”

Jang-Dong-Yoon_2.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1368090wpp/jang-dong-yoon-describes-preparations-for-the-tale-of-nokdu-portraying-a-man-disguised-as-a-woman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all for the tags, the recaps and sharing of love for this drama. I honestly don’t like watching period dramas anymore but this one has been so refreshing (some parts were lacking but overall, the pace, story and character development were generally better than many k-dramas I’ve seen). I love the leads and look forward to seeing their growth in their acting skills. The last episode was super sweet - one of the nicest romantic scenes I’ve seen in a while. Till we meet again in another thread! ;) 

I think the Blue ray dvd is available for pre order at dc inside gall.. i really wanted to order, but it's so expensive..:bawling:

hoping they will release a BTS today.. i dont want to say goodbye yet to this thread and the ppl that have made it a wonderful place to visit during my free time so i will leave it for a later date.. 

In retrospect, crossing paths with this drama felt like a beautiful serendipity. I remembered being so charmed by jang dong yoon’s beautiful individual poster that I decided to give this drama a try. How come he’s so pretty for someone who disguises himself as a woman? :D:relaxed: That was my initial reaction.  I never knew him not until Tale of Nokdu. I have lost fascination with Korean dramas years ago but Tale of Nokdu brings back the spark that had worn away.

I have grown too attached to the series that it was hard to say goodbye.I have learned to love not only Nokdu and Dong ju but everyone in the series except ofcourse the spiteful king lol.

I was supposed to have a month break before checking the last episode because I was afraid I’ll be disappointed only. Five days of not knowing any updates, my life felt dry hahaha so yeah I didn’t  keep my word. Seriously, I’m crying bucket of tears while reading your updates guys because the ending is just so magnificently tailored. Kudos to the writer and all the staff! The production really deserved a big round of applause from us viewers.

I can’t contain my happiness for our couple. They are super adorable together! My heart is so full seeing  those kisses and smooches! Probably the best one for me was the beach scene when Dong Ju exhilaratingly scampered towards the shore where Nok du was and he scooped her up then showered her with smooches because they just missed each other so much after being separated for 4 days.  Nok du’s lips are so squishy and kissable like a charming duck when pouting to kiss dong ju haha. It’s so funny that they can’t bear to be away from each other even for a few days. They are extra clingy to each other particularly Nokdu hahaha. ’The scene was so sweet and idyllic that my heart was about to burst. I was a giggling mess during that part.

The drama ends so I am officially dramaless now.

Also, I badly want to avail the blueray disc but it’s too pricey for me. Is there any other way? DVD maybe would be less pricey??

KBS, where art thou with our BTS? It's already wednesday! 

Wonder what was happening in this scene (originally posted by Han Garim @garim_han IG). Why is Aeng Du cutely blocking her eyes?

Garim's caption: Annyeong Nokdujeon. The time felt short yet long. I'm so happy to have met everyone. Thankful and blessed to be with you all. I love you and thank you. (Let's be) together soon.

Naughty, naughty Sso!:joy: Dongyoon was so flustered that he immediately walked away from the frame after saying "me, too" lmao I love them!! I'm really gonna miss both of them and the whole cast:( But JDY mentioned in his interview that he wanted to act with Sso again so see you all guys for their future 2nd drama together, too, I guess?;)

And that picture of Yulmoo on the throne tho. Kang Tae Oh looking dang fine as always:wub:

Now that they both picked the first night as their happiest moments, i wish it was in the broadcast :love:

Really love the way they both laugh after that.

i also love how they kept holding their hands at the beach, fingers interlocked :wub:

and the last part of this bts, ending with JDY staring at KSY yet again 

@Sky8lue Thank you so much for sharing the BTS i was refreshing like crazy after it was uploaded on naver but i was refreshing the wrong page :sweat_smile:

The scene where KSH lovingly stares at JDY caught my attention immediately, KSH seemed extra bold during the last BTS.

It almost seemed like she was flirting:smirk:

i think the scenes that weren't broadcasted will be in the blueray dvd at least thats what i read... now i really want to know what happend during the first night... maybe a topless JDY and flirty KSH...

she most definitely seems like a new women after that night.. :relieved:

@soesje  You're most welcome :) In the language of Extraordinary You, that "first night" scene happened in the shadow, not on the stage. (So, guess we can't accuse KBS of keeping unaired footage for the Directors' Cut Bluray in this case...)

Thank you message from our dear Sohyun-ie:

1 hour ago, Sky8lue said:

@soesje  You're most welcome :) In the language of Extraordinary You, that "first night" scene happened in the shadow, not on the stage. (So, guess we can't accuse KBS of keeping unaired footage for the Directors' Cut Bluray in this case...)

LOL very true in that case DJ and ND loved each other on both the stage and in the shadow and perhaps even in real life:wub::wub:

huhuhu dont mind me fangirling over yet another sweet bts. Is it wrong to hope that someone will kindly share some of the footage of the dvd in the near future :rolleyes: because 253.000 won is waayy to expensive for me:tears:

seriously whats wrong with this two people ?

https://www.soompi.com/article/1368369wpp/watch-kim-so-hyun-scandalizes-jang-dong-yoon-in-last-behind-the-scenes-video-for-the-tale-of-nokdu

62e7587024c5482b8d95c0b10104fc34.jpeg?s=

As all good things must come to an end, so too must “The Tale of Nokdu.” Luckily for fans of the drama, the production crew had one last video of behind-the-scenes footage to share.

In the video, everyone is all smiles as they congratulate each other for a job well done. It appears that they are filming some of the very last scenes of the drama, including the windy wedding scene. In order to create the drastic wind, the production crew brings in a giant fan. While it creates the intended effect, it creates some hilarious obstacles for the actors reciting their lines.

The video also shows the filming of the epilogue scene, where Nok Du (Jang Dong Yoon) and Dong Joo (Kim So Hyun) are seen walking hand in hand toward the shore. Jang Dong Yoon assures everyone that the drama will have a happy ending, and Kim So Hyun says that she has enjoyed the time filming with everyone, and that she’s both laughed and cried during that time.

Jang Dong Yoon then asks Kim So Hyun what she thinks is Nok Du and Dong Joo’s happiest moment in the nine years between the ending and the epilogue. She jokingly responds, “The first night?”, referring to their marriage consummation. The comment earns a scandalized laugh from Jang Dong Yoon before he sheepishly admits, “Me, too.”

Watch the full behind-the-scenes clip below!

And if you’re missing “The Tale of Nokdu” already, you can start from the beginning by clicking on the link below

So the BTS implied that even though they sleep together all the time and have a lot of PDA, they only did it after the wedding? Kudos for Nokdu and Dong joo for their self control, they're still conservative afterall. Or may be living in the same house with Aeng Du was the reason, hehe... Ah and Korean Spoon's handle is slimmer than other type of spoon. Ideal as a door's bolt. 

Archived