[Drama 2019] The Joseon Romantic Comedy: Tale of Nok-Du, 조선로코: 녹두전

marykarmelina

2 hours ago, angrytomato said:

@Ly Khánh, Viki English subs are these ones:

According to VIU subbers:

As for me, I'm even more confused... :sweatingbullets::P But I've came with a crazy theory:

Mom was dying, almost blind and deaf. So she cannot really check who was attending her. So he thought it was Hwang-tae by her side ("my son"). Then, when Nok-du actually called Hwang-tae by shouting, she realized it was Nok-du who was there, so she changed her kind words for bitter ones. She was still calling Hwang-tae "my son", so I guess Nok-du is not.

Therefor, it was Hwang-tae who was forced to have a fake name, so probably he was the hunted child and maybe the legitimate king :ph34r:.

I can’t understand the logic here though. If Hwang Tae is the hunted baby then why did mom called him the precious son and then who is her real son because she despised Nokdu so much (blamed him for the misery and didn’t apply the herb on his wounds). And I feel sorry for Nokdu have to grow up like that and yet he still has a very kindhearted personality. 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/3/2019 at 8:28 PM, annamchoi said:

Hi All, newbie here .❤️

Loving this drama so far...question though, is Nokdu a prince or somewhat with royal blood? Thanks!

Question if he'll be a prince of current king or another heir of the previous king?? The drama is very funny and sweet!!!

3 hours ago, angrytomato said:

Therefor, it was Hwang-tae who was forced to have a fake name, so probably he was the hunted child and maybe the legitimate king :ph34r:

Lol..why didn't I realize that when I was watching it. Well, I really hope Hwang Tae is the royal one because I just want Nokdu to be Nokdu^^. But yeah, like you, am a bit confused when the mother says it's his fault. But what if she was saying that still believing it was Hwang Tae?...aigoo..so vague.. guess I need more eps to confirm this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dong Yoon choosing Dong Joo as the best KSH in hanbok...awwww :wub:...I'm so close to shipping these two..ha ha.. their age gap is very ideal too ^-^...

And idk what they were talking here since it was during a commercial break but here's KSH doing an aegyo to Dong Yoon :rolleyes:

20191005-191018.gif 

7 New Korean Dramas To Binge-Watch During Your *Walang Pasok* Days

We're ready for the holidays!

by LILY GRACE TABANERA | 13 hours ago

3. The Tale Of Nokdu

Handsome nobleman Nokdu (Jang Dong Yoon) doesn't want to get married AT ALL. When his parents make arrangements to marry him off to some girl he doesn't know, he *runs away* and disguises himself to live in a women-only village. He runs into Dong Ju (Kim So Hyun), a girl who's training to be a gisaeng (courtesan) but who doesn't want to be one! 

Where you can watch it: Viu 

https://www.cosmo.ph/entertainment/new-korean-dramas-october-2019-a2520-20191005

@lightbringer06  Lets ship them!!! Age gap is just perfect to date!!!!

I actually find the original synopsis of this drama to be more interesting.. him running away from a marriage which forced him to disguise as a woman. Not sure if that was the original webtoon tho (?) since I only did some scanning but not completely understand it^^. 

@frequent_fairy ... haha.. Ikr?... guess it's time for my shipping heart to beat again :D. Even some comments say KSH is so energetic in this drama and looks comfortable with her co-stars compared to previous ones, maybe.

16 minutes ago, lightbringer06 said:

I actually find the original synopsis of this drama to be more interesting.. him running away from a marriage which forced him to disguise as a woman. Not sure if that was the original webtoon tho (?) since I only did some scanning but not completely understand it^^. 

@frequent_fairy ... haha.. Ikr?... guess it's time for my shipping heart to beat again :D. Even some comments say KSH is so energetic in this drama and looks comfortable with her co-stars compared to previous ones, maybe.

Running away from arranged marriage much funnier but kdrama likes birth secret most!!! Lets ship!!! Previous co-stars don't know about them but he looks at her all the time!!!!! Can you see it?????

1 hour ago, Ly Khánh said:

I can’t understand the logic here though. If Hwang Tae is the hunted baby then why did mom called him the precious son (...)

May Hwang-tae be his only son. I guess they were a noble family (remember the fight between "dad" and the other high minister under the rain: they weren't peasants at all) which, for unknown reasons, were expelled and condemned. Open questions are: how did they were forced to adopt Nok-du and why was him the reason of his host family's disgrace?

Hmm... I'm expecting a lot of tears from Nok-du :(

22 minutes ago, lightbringer06 said:

Neither I have read the webtoon, but I guess this is not the original synopsis but a misunderstanding. What was just a funny and cute situation (a 8? years old girl claiming her marriage rights and Nok-du trying to avoid the subject), from press note to press note, from copy&paste to copy&paste, has become the main reason he was running away. I think this is called "Chinese Whispers" in English.

Anyone to confirm or refute? ;) (<- oh, my mouth has turned... guess I've slept in the cold).

2 hours ago, Ly Khánh said:

I can’t understand the logic here though. If Hwang Tae is the hunted baby then why did mom called him the precious son and then who is her real son because she despised Nokdu so much (blamed him for the misery and didn’t apply the herb on his wounds). And I feel sorry for Nokdu have to grow up like that and yet he still has a very kindhearted personality. 

Maybe she didn't know who is her real son ,she was just guessing who is her son.  (Her husband may have hidden the truth  from her. So as not to discriminate between children )When she was dying her husband tell the truth to her.

6 hours ago, angrytomato said:

@Ly Khánh, Viki English subs are these ones:

According to VIU subbers:

As for me, I'm even more confused... :sweatingbullets::P But I've came with a crazy theory:

Mom was dying, almost blind and deaf. So she cannot really check who was attending her. So he thought it was Hwang-tae by her side ("my son"). Then, when Nok-du actually called Hwang-tae by shouting, she realized it was Nok-du who was there, so she changed her kind words for bitter ones. She was still calling Hwang-tae "my son", so I guess Nok-du is not.

Therefor, it was Hwang-tae who was forced to have a fake name, so probably he was the hunted child and maybe the legitimate king :ph34r:

Sorry if anyone has written something similar before: I've trying to avoid spoilers from people who may have been read the webtoon ;) I didn't; this is just a guessing.

A very good Theory indeed! Very sharp observation. :wub:

So yes, it's highly possibly that mom mistook Nokdu as Hwang Tae, first.. that's why she told Hwang Tae's real name.. Jung Yi something. and for me,  it confirms that Hwang Tae is indeed her son and Nok du is not her son... Hwang Tae is a yangban (honorable man) and his surname is JUNG (since his father is Jung Yun Jeo) but must live like a commoner who doesn't have surname and live hiding in small remote island. After she realised it was NOKDU who by her side, she blamed him for ruining her family and her precious son's life. So NOKDU is not Jung's real son.. He was someone's else..

The fact that, he wasn't allowed to learn to read and leave the island.. to live savagely like commoner without surname.. So.. maybe he's the royal baby.. or maybe more clues to confirm in next episodes. His adoptive father let Nokdu go finally as he can't bear to lose his real son who was injured because of the attack.  

3 hours ago, frequent_fairy said:

Running away from arranged marriage much funnier but kdrama likes birth secret most!!! Lets ship!!! Previous co-stars don't know about them but he looks at her all the time!!!!! Can you see it?????

'Don't know about them" about what? Oh yeah, I definitely see him always looking at her. I also mentioned in my previous post how JDY always looking at her whether he/she is talking. He's quite attentive^^.

2 hours ago, angrytomato said:

Hmm... I'm expecting a lot of tears from Nok-du :(

Totally don't wanna see a sad Nokdu. Him crying in the very first part of ep 1 is already heartbreaking for me. Don't wanna see any more of that :tears:

@Ameera Ali.. Nokdu still need that scissors to cut her hair. It's not yet evenly cut :D

Here's the subbed Entertainment Weekly interview of the cast. Guess it's available in Viu now..

ctto

1 hour ago, aoi_karin said:

A very good Theory indeed! Very sharp observation. :wub:

So yes, it's highly possibly that mom mistook Nokdu as Hwang Tae, first.. that's why she told Hwang Tae's real name.. Jung Yi something. and for me,  it confirms that Hwang Tae is indeed her son and Nok du is not her son... Hwang Tae is a yangban (honorable man) and his surname is JUNG (since his father is Jung Yun Jeo) but must live like a commoner who doesn't have surname and live hiding in small remote island. After she realised it was NOKDU who by her side, she blamed him for ruining her family and her precious son's life. So NOKDU is not Jung's real son.. He was someone's else..

The fact that, he wasn't allowed to learn to read and leave the island.. to live savagely like commoner without surname.. So.. maybe he's the royal baby.. or maybe more clues to confirm in next episodes. His adoptive father let Nokdu go finally as he can't bear to lose his real son who was injured because of the attack.  

Oh thank you so much I finally got it. That Hwang Tae real name Jung Yi ... finally came to my sense. So Nokdu is indeed the royal baby now, there is no possible twist about this anymore. And as there is not much to expect from the birth secret anymore, I wonder which direction the writers will take in later episodes (I haven’t read the webtoon).

3 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

'Don't know about them" about what? Oh yeah, I definitely see him always looking at her. I also mentioned in my previous post how JDY always looking at her whether he/she is talking. He's quite attentive^^.

Don't know about their other co-star relations but they keep looking and smiling with each other every time!!!! How cute they're always being attentive to each other!!!!! I will ship this!!!!!!!!!

@uglypearl

Oh yeah, totally love these scenes... shirtless (well slightly?^^) Nokdu :wub:

20191003-032633.gif

20191006-104629.gif 

Idk if this will be the last time we'll be seeing JDY's abs coz I remember during their Vlive interview, when the female interviewer asked if he still has it, I think Jun Ho said he doesn't. Well, hope not!.:rolleyes: I still wanna see a shirtless Nokdu in a woman's hanbok :P

Ooooh I'm excited with the new stills! I was wondering when we will see DongJu in training (and I hope she's not forced back into it because of that icky yangban). I wonder how NokDu teaching DongJu the dance will link to the scene of her shooting an arrow (given same hanbok she's wearing) It looks clear by here that NokDu is interested/attracted to DongJu here and I'm convinced he becomes 'Omoni' to save her from the yangban. 

Maybe the horse scene with the love triangle is when DongJu and NokDu leave the Gisaeng house... anyone know from the webtoon if they stay at the widows village?

A photo of Jang Dong Yoon with Park Chul Min on the set of Tale of Nokdu/Mung Bean Chronicles posted by JDY's agency:

Relationship chart previously posted by @uglypearl (thank you!) below. Reposting for the new fans who haven't scrolled through the earlier pages:
EFuBcwiUUAAyzzA.jpg

Archived