[Drama 2019] The Joseon Romantic Comedy: Tale of Nok-Du, 조선로코: 녹두전

marykarmelina

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTS stills to tide over the anguish of tonight's episode!

Dong Joo and her flower ring...and that's Nokdu in the background? (Is it too much to ask for BTS from last week's episode? *twiddles thumb*)

Rough translation of preview:

@Ameera Ali @lightbringer06  You'll be proud to know Nokdu is still working hard at working out.

Spoiler

Yikes...this ep depresses but the events had to happen. So long as the situation improves. 

How is it that a King trusts stranger ND more than his own son ND? This King has real psychological issues made worse by low self-esteem and betrayals, having to second-guess everything. But my hope for this King to redeem himself has been reduced to cinders.

Once this hits the climax featuring blood relations wiping each other out, we can get on with the romcom bit of the story if there’s any left. 

Please do. :tears:

Omigod...so double heartbreak episodes this week... guess we are all gonna be...

cry.gif

.. whew, gotta prepare myself for this big one :tears:... gawd, that little misunderstanding that kept them apart. Now that the truth is out between ND and DJ, I hope DJ finds out next that the King actually wanted to kill his own son, and let them be reunited on episode 27-28 next week. I don't think I can bear to survive this week after they end it in that note. I'm just hoping they release good BTS content tomorrow for me to cope up with this. Gaahh.. I'm gonna be bawling my eyes for sure if I finally watch this.. I really tried avoiding much spoilers so that I can torture myself crying when I finally watch it... why don't they just rip my heart out and stomp it into pieces, it would be much easier... LOL... me being dramatic :sweatingbullets:

@Sky8lue I think seeing JDY still doing pilates for his abs is gonna be my only consolation after this. At least my baby is doing his best to fit his body. That better be in preparation for their bed scene with ND and DJ showing some skin...or else <_<

I know that there're only 3 episodes left, 2 weeks to go... But I really want to skip 2 eps this week. They're tiring. And Dong Joo is not much different with Han Ga Eun.

Look at the webtoon author new fanart, seems like the webtoon ver are trying to console drama ver :))

drama milk comment on today's episodes

COMMENTS

Ah-mazing! No noble idiocy in this show! This separation completely makes sense. If they stay together then the other will die. especially with Dongju who only wants to kill the King. Everyone around her will die if she accomplishes this. So she needs to separate herself.

If Nokdu’s plan does not go well, then all the people around him will die as well. Plus, everyone is starting to find out that he is the King’s son that the King wants dead, so his life is not long for this world if the King stays alive anyway. The King basically has to die y’all. He is about to hunt Nokdu to the ends of the earth to find him.

Ah, what a tearful separation. Nokdu should really patent that pout cry because it gives me the poor baby feels whenever I see it. I love how the writer waited for this moment for that reveal and to have it come with pretty big stakes under life threatening conditions for both of them, but especially for Dongju. Love this show so much. Will we have a happy ending for our duo? Right now it really looks like it will be a Hamlet ending where everyone dies. Can’t Nokdu and Dongju and the Queen sneak out and live happily ever after?

13 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

This scene is so sad, and a demonstration of the ambiguity of the lack of pronouns in the Korean language.

If only they would open up to each other, they might realize that they both had traitorous intent towards the king, so they might as well stay together since they wouldn't be protecting each other any by being apart. Come on, drama, brings the OTP together again. Perhaps they could both help YM become king, and as their reward, they both retire far away from Hanyang to live out their lives with the widows near them in a new Widows Village. Just saying.

Thanks for the explanation! I never knew that there was so much ambiguity... I wonder if ND will reprocess all his conversations to realise what DJ has been trying to say all along. What I did like of all the secret reveals this week was the execution with the voiceovers - where all their interactions were hints to the bigger truth - we already knew what that was but it felt as if I could see what's in his/her mind now, as they dont single mindedly believe what someone else said. 

That would really be the ideal ending but trying to picture how YM will give up on DJ - he will probably be strong armed by the fellow conspirators in staying cooped up in the palace?

I know previously i was annoyed by all the palace politics and scheming but now i'm actually quite into it, since it's the least frustrating part of the story now. HAHA.

However, I think that ND teaming up with YM to kill the king, regardless of his thirst for revenge, is a bad call. I think in revealing his identity as the king's unwanted son to the ministers, ND is exposing himself to more danger. Also YM does not seem like he's gonna be a benevolent king who will let ANYONE who could potentially be a threat to his throne, live as a reward for dethroning the king, let alone let ND, his arch enemy and life's rival live, and also most likely with DJ, happily ever after. 

Politically it makes zero sense for YM to keep ND alive after getting his help to dethrone the king. After all since ND is of royal blood line, is the son, albeit unwanted :dissapointed_relieved:, of a king AND queen, making him a legitimate heir even though he was supposed to be killed since birth. usually after a coup, the bloodline of the previous king is killed off. (e.g. Yeonsangun was overthrown for his cruelty, died in the same year he was dethroned, and all his sons were killed off. The young king Danjong, who was forced to abdicate after a coup, was also killed off. also historically, although Gwanghaegun continued living in exile many years after he was dethroned, his son died in the year of dethronement) now that we're speaking about history, the queen (ND's mother in the show) also died months after she was dethroned ): i hope the drama doesnt follow history and allow her the chance to live with the son she's always wanted. 

Also, romantically it makes no sense either since YM is an obsessive madhouse who wants DJ all for himself . 

SO i highly doubt YM will keep ND alive after the scheme (if it even happens since the king's guard seems to know what's up), since ND is his love, and potentially political, rival. 

Welllll despite this, I don't think ND has many other choices if he wants to kill the king while implicating as few of his friend as he can and continue life with DJ.

PS when i intitally watched the preview and heard the king's body guard saying that yeon soo is dead, i thought ND faked his death LOLOL (pipe dream, i wish he fakes his death and run away with DJ LOL). until i heard the king asking, "THEN WHO IS THE GUARD????"

but does it actually mean that DJ is not going to take revenge anymore.. because she is now a wanted person.. or is she still going to try and take revenge even though they are searching for her..

it almost feels like ND is now so sad that he does not even care anymore if his actions will lead to his death.. 

The Roller Coaster of this OTP Moments ... 36.gif

Spoiler

SgjpoWx.gif

" DON'T GO ... "

ToETDZ7.gif

Spoiler

* Letting Go

kECXWqf.gif

* Holding-On

askT7WW.gif

Spoiler

* Nose-to-Nose Kiss

vRBISut.gif

* Break-Up Kiss

zvCmupb.gif

" LET'S BREAK-UP ... "

lA3sJaF.gif

The K-dramaland OTP Trademark  "  Don't Go ~  Let- Me Go  " 133.gif

Spoiler

LjBGj6e.gif sJlEDtX.gif

On the other hand~ I'm amazed with the breath-taking scenery. 101.gif

Spoiler

S17teGT.jpg

Rcf1qLy.jpg

OBjgeGH.jpg

This drama has gone from a fun first half to a heavier tone on the remaining half. :tears: So much angst..so many tears this week.. Although Nok Du still maintains such kissable lips ha-ha! :w00t: The King has turned into a freaking monster! :crazy: I don't trust Yul Mu either, I don't think he'd honor his promises once he assumes the throne.. Ironic considering he said he wanted to overthrow the King for being a bad ruler, when he himself is no different. :P<_<

With the things Aeng Du has seen, she could be a love guru LoL :lol: She ain't shy about it either! :phew: Ugh I shudder when she ate the egg raw, like hello food poisoning no!? :blink: 

I just hope that Nok Du & Dong Ju get to be together and be happy...please drama?? :(

These episodes summed of what it feel like a survivor guilt - both nokdu and DJ suffered survivor guilt. But luckily Nokdu had his adopted father who constantly remind him that he would save him over again if he was given a chance to go back in time and encourage him to value his life. Dongju, on the other hand, has been all alone and she set her will to live to do revenge. She doesn't think she deserved to laugh and smile and fall in love being the only one who survive in her family. 

Spoiler

If I remember correctly, in the webtoon there was a short panel of a little DongJu getting chased in the street for stealing food to live day by day. She did not have an easy life until she run into the gisang Jeon. I wonder if the drama will elaborate on DJ past for the last 3 episodes. 

Anyhow, i wish their separation will not be too long. please let them be back next episode!

Ep. 13 (25-26): Well, that's one way to get re-introduced to your gf - with her aiming her crossbow at you, ready to kill whoever is unfortunate enough to have followed her or die trying! Loved the ending - the situation is so dire that both could end up dead in the very next scene (though they won't) and still make the choice they make (letting go and running for their lives, protecting the other, doing what they have to do to make things right in their own mind.) DJ should come back to protect ND from the king or YM - crossbow in hand! He needs all the help he can get!

Loved how the king kept killing or beating everyone around him, bloodthirsty, unhinged, in front of the son. The prophecy is true - he will be dethroned by his son, though history will never record it as such! I think the only way in the end ND and DJ will get out of the king's and YM's crazy-hairs is if they fake their deaths and live in obscurity on a beach somewhere in China or Japan! (well, hiding on an island like YJ did for 20 years!) - a dire prognosis but considering how things stand right now - at least they'll be alive, if not living well or to their best potential. Is that a happy ending? If they think so, yes, I guess. Because right now, it's all going to hell!

Looking forward to all the confrontations and cool sword-fighting stunts and possible deaths and (hopefully, fingers crossed) happy-marooning in eye-catching scenery. 

Archived