[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

Ahh...guessed right about recycled characters and their lingering memories.  :)

Other thoughts to add

- the dynamic in Kyung’s household.  Possible scenario - his mother is the Queen, if so then he is the Crown Prince (or first wife of a nobleman).  She dies. His father (King) remarries and the second wife has a son (Kyung’s brother).  Kyung is left to fend for himself and feels desperately unappreciated.  Kyung’s brother (second in line) is trying to keep the family together amid Kyung’s acts of rage directed at his father.  Something to that effect.  Kyung is betrothed to DanOh.  Alliance maybe?  He doesn’t exactly love her but just plays along because it’s a marriage of convenience.

- JooDa is definitely self aware.  I am not sure where she sits in the Flower comic.

- Squid Fairy is a character that is recycled over and over and each time, he’s the first to become self aware and watches everything unfold.  That’s why he seems so cynical.  He’s probably saying to himself, “same old, same old, nothing changes”.  He probably burnt the book because he doesn’t want any of the others to find out their final ending beforehand.  I feel like it will be tragic.

- I get the feeling Haru is the one to die.  The pic looks like he’s clasping a sword in his left hand.  The sword looks to be plunged into him (?).  That’s why his face looks stunned.  He has taken the sword meant for someone else (maybe DanOh?  Or Kyung?).  Or is it Kyung who kills Haru?  They seem to be regularly “fighting” in Secret.  The tennis rackets (like swords) with their names on it...ready for battle on court.  Kyung out to kill Haru but Haru betters him.  Kyung has rage enough in him to kill someone.  I don’t think he would mean to, but he has a violent temper.  That’s why Haru keeps telling him to change. I feel like he’s (Haru) set up as some Messianic figure for DanOh... “I will rescue you over and over again”.  Haru looks to be “leaving” Kyung in Flower.  Kyung feels like he “owns” him.  Is Haru Kyung’s hired henchman to do his dirty work and Haru wants to walk away and live a quiet life with DanOh?

- Secret is still being written/drawn out.  I feel like DanOh and Haru have already rewritten some of the pages (at NamJu’s party).  Hence the writer got rid of Haru1 and rebooted him as Haru2 (named extra) so she could rein him back in line.  Haru2 is the one with flashes of the past comic Flower.  Not DanOh anymore.  Interesting to see how that will play out in tonight’s episode.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 4

2 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

I really can't help it to think that BK is actually love HR instead of DO. LOL.

:lol: I know you're joking about this, but I can't help but laugh along and agree hahahaha. At least in Trumpet Creeper, I feel like they have a really strong and well-established friendship/bond (probably similar to what the author has done for Nam Joo and Dohwa now that I think about it... especially with the quick shot we saw of the introductory page and how their poses more or less mirror NJ/DH/JD). Hell, even the expressions are eerily similar across all 6 characters and their posing counterparts. (That quirked eyebrow on Dohwa/Haru... the apathy on Nam Joo and Kyung...) I can't help but wonder if the positioning of the characters is indicative of who the main lead/loveline is for TC... because if it is, then does that mean Haru is the second lead who isn't meant to end up with her?! Did I just completely blow apart my own earlier ideas around Trumpet Creeper?! Hahaha

DL3JMFh.png

2 hours ago, celebrianna said:

I’m so glad Haru is no longer taking any of BK’s crap. That guy has real anger issues and he needs to fix his attitude just like Haru pointed out and later Danoh pointed out. It’s quite obvious he looks down on Haru both through his words and actions. He better be thankful for the stage because that’s the only powerful advantage he has over Haru thanks to the unimaginative writer. It’s also clear that he had anger issues back in the goryeo period. He was kicking down stuff in that final scene when goryeo Haru decided to sever their bond. Even in that period his words conveyed that he looked down on Haru who seem to not know his origin. Maybe BK has abandonment issues. 

Yes!! That confrontation was everything I hoped it'd be. In the past (when Haru didn't think that Kyung was aware), it was impossible to have that conversation for a number of reasons: Kyung potentially forgetting it happening to begin with, Kyung not being reflective enough, etc. So it's incredibly satisfying that Kyung's self-awareness about his own failings and abusive nature is coming about as a result of his interactions with Haru, who--for all intents and purposes--is one of his best friends now. I swear, the more they reveal of Trumpet Creeper, the more I'm getting a My Country feel from their friendship (and its ensuing destruction).

I do think that Kyung deeply cares about Haru (in TC) and about Danoh (in Secret), but that you're also really spot on about his fear of abandonment and how that manifests in his treatment of others like objects to control. After all, he couldn't control Haru's choice to leave/remain with him in TC, couldn't control the loss of his mother in Secret, and can't even control the direction of his own life in terms of who he dates because of his father. Now that he has that awareness of his role in Secret and what that means in relation to how others should behave towards him (particularly in terms of seeing Danoh as his fiancee and Haru as his loyal lackey, regardless of either's real feelings on those matters), it seems like he's spiraling over the thought that they're moving on and finding happiness without him (broadly speaking). 

5 minutes ago, nrllee said:

- I get the feeling Haru is the one to die.  The pic looks like he’s clasping a sword in his left hand.  The sword looks to be plunged into him (?).  

I'm really on board with this! Earlier, I'd assumed that Squid Fairy's talk about past tragedies was referring to the direction of Haru and Danoh's relationship in TC, but now I can't help but wonder if he's also (possibly largely) referring to the clash between Haru and Kyung. Kyung might be violent and explosive, but based on those few seconds at the end of ep. 9, it looks like a lot of that stems from his fear of losing Haru; he probably isn't setting out to hurt/maim/kill his friend, so actually doing so...well... I'm getting flashbacks to Goblin here, haha, and the reaper's descent straight into madness. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 8

Dan Oh has always been so damn strong and brave under impossible circumstances but even she falls apart sometimes. And who can blame her? She’s been controlled like a puppet on strings all her life which she’s been living on borrowed time, her life and death depending on whims of a rather unoriginal writer and she even almost lost the boy she’s been falling in love with.

There would be no shame in giving up; however, just when she’s about to accept her fate, Haru comes. It’s fitting that he often appears when Dan Oh is at her weakest, always being there for her to catch her when she falls.

9V1CllS.jpg

“I would have saved you again thousands and hundreds of times. So don’t say you’re sorry.”

How come that this boy always knows the right way to say while Baek Young basically never does? It’s because they are so inherently different and unlike BY, who always keeps telling DO not to change anything and not to do anything because he fears losing what he has, Haru is willing to risk everything, suffer immeasurable pain and go against the creator himself as long as it would mean saving Dan Oh. BY had so much but he took it all for granted and never showed any real appreciation of it while Haru never had anything to begin with, ONLY EUN DAN OH AND HE WILL NEVER EVER REGRET HER!

Spoiler

She is so desperate here and afraid and, as always, he is unable to deny her anything. Also, just like with their height difference, even his hands are huge compared to hers. He always towers over her which is why it’s so poignant and symbolic that he kneels in front of her now, becoming the one who is looking up (to her), and spends the whole night kneeling in front of her, holding her hands in his own. 

tFasYGb.jpg

And when he tells her that he’ll never let her go, you realize that in his case never really means NEVER because not even death, his nor hers, managed to stop him before and it will not stop him again.

vmUk6HT.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

37 minutes ago, Calligrapher said:

does that mean Haru is the second lead who isn't meant to end up with her?! Did I just completely blow apart my own earlier ideas around Trumpet Creeper?

yes he was always second lead. Like DoHwa.  So it’s playing out like Trumpet Creeper.  BK (TC) is the nasty supercilious rich NJ (Secret).  DoHwa is the nice second lead watching from afar...like Haru.  JooDa is supposed to end up with NJ but she likes DoHwa.  Just like DanOh is supposed to like BK but actually likes Haru.  DoHwa faces off with NJ just like Haru faces off with BK.  

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

Neungsohwa (능소화) which is the name of the sageuk manhwa, it means "Trumpet Creeper". :) 

Thankyou for your translation. How about the sentence beside them? It seems like character description or maybe their dialog?

• Like 5

Did anyone already mention that actually we don't know which one of the comic that release first? (secret or flower creeper).

So, i just get enlightenment about something:

i actually think this line of Baek Kyung a bit strange (episode 1-2)

But, i just let it pass, and thinking that's maybe just another "drama line" from drama writer. But then this happened at last night episode

Then, i just have a thought that line of Baek Kyung actually a spoiler? or i just think too much because i get crazy because this never ended theories thing? 

• Like 5

baek kyung’s only redeeming moment in the entire episode is the moment when the stage ended, he immediately picked up the sandwich which he rejected dan oh on stage and ate a bite. :sweatingbullets:

beyond that i don’t know what he was doing the whole time. he was just a huge box of fireworks exploding all over the place :crazy:

• Like 8
  • LOL 4

Such a nice episode! Wow, i didn't think Haru and Danoh could be cuter but i was wrong :wub: 

I love the way Haru looks at Danoh, and the other way around haha, and with Dohwa, i just love their friendship!!

I really liked the Dohwa and Juda segments too, i remember in a earlier episode, Juda said that it doesn't feel right when Dohwa confessed, i can imagine that plays a part but i see her sneaking glances at him haha :love:  I would like to see some progress with Kyung and Namjoo, they are kind one dimensional right now, Kyung was better last week, i hope his progress continues but i was happy he got called out for bullying and being a jerk. 

I love this drama and (When Camellia blooms) for their portrayal of what real love is, i don't know why but i really feel like it's so important to be reminded of this. I'm so happy to see support and kindness. Even if it's romantic comedy, i like these undertones which really makes you think haha

I'm reaaaally looking forward to tonights episode!! I'll be at work but i'll check in here for the kiiiiiss haha :heart:

• Like 7
  • Love 3

Since it's a saeguk I am wondering what if there was a conspiracy to harm Dan Oh and Haru tried to change it. But instead he ended up killing Dan Oh himself and BK also died because of him. This might explain the reason why Jinmichae doesn't like him much and is against of changing the story. The writer might have deliberately made him a nameless extra to punish him for interfering in his/her manwha. BK's brother also seems to know something since he also doesn't want the story to change maybe he was also there.

• Like 6
  • Awesome 3

@Jillia I was going to say the same on the bullying front.

I wish Saemi gets self aware and stop the bullying. Maybe my love for her is dimming with the latest episode. Juda was realy frustrated but she is imbibing everything in her shadow self. That out burst maybe the tip of the volcano that's about to burst.

I love that Danoh knows what real love is after so much suffering. I'd never have any love for a person who treat me as trash for 10 years after I realize that I have no love left to give. A decade of this will be tiring one's soul who has a heart condition. Even Danoh's self aware self is telling herself you are just 18 why are you trying to get married in a hurry.

Maybe Kyung is only all about the chase when he get's what he wants boredom will settle down and the person beside him will die of lack of attention!

On a lighter note these three , Class President Kim, Park Mobum, Kim Bodung must have been palace gaurds under Haru's command in Trumpet Creeper. They even talk about déjà vu lol!

What if today's episode start with Kyung saying Haru if you step out of the palace no one can have you coz  I'm going to kill you!!

---------------------

In a way I was right the Trumpet Creeper is always searching for Haru to remind him of his past.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 12

The thread is moving faster that i have hard time catching up and the live recap last night in ig is getting slower. This is indeed most buzzworthy drama for now. 

Someone already mentioned it before but i want to bring it up again. I LOVE Dohwa! He's like my top two character alongside DO. And DO! How could she be that adorable. It's a bit risky move actually. Too much aegyo sometimes annoys me. But that's not the case with DO. 

I'd like to highlight how these special moments to DO is not a grand gesture like bringing flower, proposal, or anything like that. For her doing trivial things like skipping the class, eating ddeokboki (though that doesnt happen), playing around with water or just sitting and talking with HR is already special.

I also like that more extras in the drama have their time (though it's limited) to appear/highlighted and play a certain unique character that complement the drama.

BK will always bring interesting discussion right? I think he's in his worst last night. Frankly i dont like the way the drama writer turn him to a man throwing his anger anywhere to anyone. Sorry but this time i like manhwa BK more. 

I can emphatize with him. Her mom was his whole world but his father never treated him and his mom well. To make it worse her mom died his father married another woman and seemed to be nicer to them than he's ever been to BK and his mom. There's this girl who was first his friend who like and care about him but then his father use this girl and push BK to take advantage of her affection. How can he take advantage of his friend who truly care for him? To make it worse this girl has illness and may leave him anytime just like his mom. How can he go through the same pain again? So for him DO is like a string that keep him attached to his father and become his father's puppet. I believe BK really like DO. All these crazy anger explosion is a result of him starting to feel anxious that he is about to lose that important girl he neglected all this years. The last question HR throw to him is like a cold water to him. Does he like DO?

I want him to understand this and also understand that DO will not come back to her. So instead of hurting more and more people and in the end hurting himself most when he keeps hurting those who sincerely care about him, i want him to accept things the way they are now and just appreciate and treat those who like him and who he likes better, just like BK in the manhwa.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

But but this was so funny. Shin Saemi was shocked and went off that
Danoh is cheating Kyung with Haru!!! lol

--------------------------------
Junhyun you need to explain yourself!!

Papago trans says: Junhyun, who showed you sad brotherly love! I'm curious about the next story, but look forward to Junhyun's story.

• Like 8