[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

@Jillia I agree completely.  The arm grab and drag is a plot device that needs to disappear completely.  It is demeaning to women and borders on abuse or at least a form of harassment.   There is a subtle difference between how Ha-Ru does it compared to how BK does it.  However, to be honest, neither in my opinion would be very comforting to a woman.  How about instead of grabbing the female by the arm, instead the male offer his hand to her, and then let her decide if she wants to take his hand or not.

Reading all these great theories about how there may be intersecting manhwas in the storyline is great.  A thought occurred to me as I was reading these theories.  What if, the characters are constantly moving within multiple manhwas, so that what we are seeing are actually multiple stage worlds, with the characters never being in shadow.  As all this is occurring this might explain why at some times DO & HR are the leads, while at other times it would be ONJ/YJD.  In others it might be Do-Wha/Joo-Da, etc.  What we are seeing is multiple stories intertwined where sometimes the characters are leads and sometimes extras depending on from who's perspective you are viewing the world.  Wow!  I need more coffee or to breathe in less trumpet creepers.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Since lots of question about JMC is raised I will give details about JMC backstory in the manhwa (spoiler alert). This could be different from the drama because there are already lots of differences between the drama and manhwa.

Spoiler

In other manhwa, JMC was an assasin with awareness. He didnt like killing people but its his role therefore he felt discouraged whenever he's in the shadow after doing his killing job on stage. Then this female nameless extra recognized him (which means she's aware) and sympathized with him. As they grew closer than ever the manhwa writer decided to add another role to JMC : love interest of a princess. He had to spend more and more time on stage with the princess and less time in the shadow with the nameless extra. Up to this point no one knew about manhwa world. JMC got confused as to why he's always with the princess when he loved the extra and had no power to defy it. The extra on the other side having difficulties being left alone most of the time and saw JMC with other girl. They had no explanation or answer to this unlike DO and HR. The extra, affraid of being totally left alone by JMC, then decided to disguise as one of the enemy when JMC did his role as assasin. JMC killed her and was so shocked to see that it's her. He felt guilty but then in other occasion he saw the girl again being fine and healthy with no trace of memories with him. Thats when he found out that they are manhwa character. It's cruel ending for him and it maybe why he's always against our E3 changing the fate.

@stargazer187 I think HR can freely move around on stage when he's not drawn properly or doesn't have specific role. Just like a human/silhouette like background to make the page livelier from readers' point of view. In the tennis duel with BK, though he hasn't get his official identity as HR, he slowly takes over the manhwa, being drawn properly as BK opponent on stage, therefore he can not move till the stage is over.

And i absolutely love DH DO antics. Can't wait for the E3 team to be complete with aware HR next week.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 6

12 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

Oh @leeminhosny I like the fliping sound inserted in the video. It's a trademark of stage act huh, :D Is that a song from SF9?? I like it. And I think I'll think to start digging through YT to find some good clips of them. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, SF9's Still My Lady and So Beautiful songs, you're welcome:thumbsup:

• Like 4

Every time I see Jinmichae on screen I want something to happen for him to finally want to change the stage. Hi's so passive about everything that's going on, if you look at it, his existence is very limited too. I really want something to shake him up a little so that he joins our gang in their fight for freedom. 

BTW, found this wonderful fan vid, the song fits so well too. I miss smiling Haru. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

As it relates to BK/DO ship,  I can see where folks are coming from.  We should all have an open mind about two people and whether they choose to make a life together or not.  BK demonstrates personality traits of someone who is selfish, vengeful, and completely self centered but everyone deserves the chance to make changes in their lifestyle or character.  I also recognize that he has clearly had some tough circumstances in the shadow relative to his family history.  However, I see his family situation and abuse as an explanation of his behavior, not an excuse.  The behavior he exhibits toward DO once he has become aware can be deemed as growing affection and concern.  Unfortunately, when you try to discern a cause or reason in his changed behavior, it does not seem to register as love for DO.  Instead it comes off more as someone who has had his property or goods threatened and he is taking steps to retain that property, even though he was not at all concerned with that property previously.  Until BK views DO as a valued person with feelings that can be hurt and views their relationship as more important than his own personal wants; he will always come a distant second to HR.

Honestly, I do hope that BK in this series continues to grow as a person and overcomes some of his shortcomings.  All people deserve to be loved and he is no exception.  I actually wished they had used a different actor for the BK character.  I can't get Lee Jae Wook's character in Search: WWW out of my head as I loved him so much in that series.  For that reason I can't hate him as BK either.  However, I firmly stand in the HR/DO ship camp because in the end, I think that the HR/DO relationship would make DO the most happy. 

• Like 13

Current theory percolating in my mind

Spoiler

Flower is a Sageuk comic where Kyung is betrothed (hence the 10 years reference in Secret) to marry DanOh (she’s a Princess? Or someone of noble birth) - their marriage was one of alliance (just like how in Secret it’s the parents who benefit from the marriage).  The black holes are links between the 2 Universes (plot lines).  Haru is Kyung’s guard or servant or someone of lowly birth in Flower.  That’s why he carries a sword?  He falls in love with DanOh.  And she in turn with him.  The other characters in Secret who seem to give us weird vibes (NamJu’s Mother, Kyung’s brother and Squid Fairy) are all characters in Flower as well.  Characters are recycled in comics (they all look the same anyway :lol:).  But once you move to a new comic, you lose your memories but you have Dejavu moments of recognition but because it’s not in context you can’t quite place them.  Like when Squid Fairy sees NamJu’s Mother and has a strange look on his face. And why Kyung’s brother can tell Kyung that DanOh is a nice person.  That’s why when Haru returns a second time, he doesn’t remember anything.  So far scenes in Secret is playing out like Flower.  Squid Fairy is the only one in the Secret Universe who has read Flower in full.  He obviously does not want anyone else to get ideas from it.  Whether it’s Kyung or Haru both who chance upon the book.  I don’t quite trust his character.  I am not quite sure how he fits in so far.  He seems happy to have characters gain self awareness but not so much that they interfere with the main plot line.  He seems to have a lot of background info eg he explains the story board, the stage/shadow settings.  Is he the writer’s alter ego in the Secret Universe?  Like how Stan Lee appears as cameos in the Marvel Universe :lol:.  Maybe that’s why Squid Fairy doesn’t want anyone to read Flower.  Secret Writer has plagiarised Flower. :lol:

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Insightful 3

So finally manage to catch latest episodes :D 

Really hard to watch Dan oh struggle with losing Haru and him returning without memory. But also great way to establish how much Haru means to Dan oh. Seeing Haru frustration was delicious angsty. also the way he was grasping for air after Dan oh did walk away in the stair scene. oh man it was like he was struggling seeing her leaving him. 

This was great forward arch as he now have to figure out where they come from with his dreams.  Anyway great to have our Haru back! loved the scenes between him and Dan oh at the road. I can´t believe how much our man have gonna true just to save our girl already. even so he still manage to find his way back to her every time. it´s like there is strings between them bulling them back together :wub:

Regarding BK totally feel for how lonely he have been true the years and DO have been the constant friend in his life. this is why I think he have a hard time seeing her laying her eyes on another man. To BK DO have been the only person giving him unconditional love and maybe been the one lighten up is dark life. But this do not give him right to behave like she is his possession and she do not have any autonomy. Even in those scenes where he do show that he care it do not come off as pure intention with her wellbeing in mind. But he do seems to struggle with feeling that he gonna lose her. But yeah like the scene where he make Haru giving those flowers just comes off as he is taunting them and that he enjoys seeing Haru not remember....with that said I would love for BK to get away from his family though and can find peace with himself. this more than getting DO as I think this is more important for his character growth.

Seems like more characters are becoming self aware so curious how this gonna impact the manwha world. 

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Jillia said:

I also want to say. I really mean it when I say that I dislike all the arm grabbing in Korean dramas overall. And while I also don't like it when Ha Ru it does I also agree there is a big difference between how he grabs Dan Oh's arm and how Kyung does it - was it you who mentioned it @haelan. Plus with Kyung comes a lot of violence tendencies. He really grabs in a way it hurts Dan Oh. With Ha Ru, Dan Oh isn't afraid to pull her arm away and can do so easily without Ha Ru holding onto it. She is also never afraid like she is with Kyung. 

Just my observation. Still a cliché which needs to disappear from drama entirely. :) 

Just something interesting for your info (I hate the wrist grab too - it always looks painful in addition to forceful): over on When the Camillia Blooms, I learned that grabbing a woman by the hand without permission in Korea constitutes assault.  The free zone is between forearm and wrist.  Grabbing there is not automatic assault, but if the woman complains to the police it might constitute sexual assault (rather than assault?).  I just found this interesting because wondered if this Korean law lies behind all the wrist grabbing in kdrama, much more so than in other Asian dramas, and of course it's just not a thing in North America.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 4

@Jillia Since DO thought that Haru was the only one who could change her fate, I have been thinking that Haru could also change BK's fate. Maybe Haru has the skills to change people's fate, not just DO's destiny. Let us not forget that he can draw so well... so he has a connection with the writer. Furthermore, his quick thinking made it possible to change the scenes in the manhwa. In other words, his abilities resemble the skills of a manhwa writer.

Besides this would explain why Jinmichae would resent Haru so much as he embodies the opposite of him. Jinmichae might have experienced the opposite in the past... he came from another manhwa and each time, he tried to change his fate and his lover's fate but he always failed. By experiencing failure each time, this might have impacted our cook so much that at the end, he resigned. 

That's why I think that by becoming BK's friend, Haru could have such an impact on him... he might even intervene and stop BK's father from assaulting his son f. ex.  

• Like 3
  • Insightful 6

@Jillia Since the words and the situation in this manhwa are similar to the manhwa "Trumpet Creeper", then we have to assume that DO must have died in the other manhwa. This would explain why Jinmichae burnt the book as if he feared that they might make the connection between the two books. I don't know why but I can't help thinking as DO has a heart disease that maybe in the other manhwa she died brokenhearted. So what if her heart condition is linked to Haru, in the sense that he can be the only one who can save her heart? First, we always hear how the heartbeat of DO increases, when she is close to Haru. It was as if her heart was brought back to life... and back then, what if Haru protected her so much to the point he lost his life? In my opinion, Haru and DO's life have always been intertwined but something bad must have happened during the Goryeo epoch. Maybe one extra got self-aware and messed up the story, like f. ex. Joo Da. 

By giving her now the main lead position, the writer might have thought that this time, the characters wouldn't mess up the story... However, it didn't turn out as expected. Maybe JD will use her position as main lead to get more... like she has always been ambitious.  

• Like 3
  • Insightful 7

Just a thought, I have been thinking about this for quite a while. About the colors of dress chosen by the characters during the presscon.

Initially, I thought those who wore the lighter tone colors mean that they will gain awareness (I realized this after DH’s awaken). But then, BK also gained his, the only thing left I believe is the colors symbolizes their dark/bright or evil/good personality (?).

Those who wore the darker colors may convey the idea that they might be the anatagonists(?) of the story. On the other hand, those who wore brighter color have nice and sweer chatacters (?). We’ll see. I just think it is too concidence that the three wore darker color and the four wore brighter one.

As for Jiminche, I watched in one of his videos, he explained that his character might be mysterious and misunderstood in a way that people (viewers and the characters) wont understand why he says some things, but then later on as the story unfolds they will understand why he did or said those comments. In a nutshell, I believe he is a good character who tries to protect the main leads. We’ll see what will happen. 

Cheers~

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1

Okay - Its been a while since I joined the fun here - but for this Drama I guess I have to come back.

My Mind was spinning a lot already thanks to this drama and I thought I found a nice solution for me but after reading something I had to work it all over again.

I am sure it is already here but in case not -

Spoiler

This was shared

484def845475b7290dbeffa897ba7db8da25e52a

So - I guessed before Haru got the scar because he tried to rescue her and messed up the script like that - but I forgot that historical stories tend to be more tragic and it makes more sense like that too - the pain get worst.

I just really really really hope they will give us a happy end for the Drama.

Hi - and sorry for beeing late chingu -  @nonski

• Like 9