Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루

Be prepared for a wall of text. :D So where to start?

Spoiler

Let's start with all the extras:

I kind of adore that they basically became the leads in the new manhwa. I got that right, right? :D I don't know in the end EY was about extras and how important extras can be. Also, despite "Secret" writer keeping on recycling characters this time he/she went for a different road: taking the extras and make them the main attraction in the next story. I'm a bit disappointed in Sae Mi. I love her but also I can't completely root for her since she is just as much a bully as Kyung. She was real nasty to Joo Da and her friends as well. I get that they were not the important part of the story but still it's not okay to wave passed bullying, no matter how cool Joo Da took care of it.

Talking of Joo Da:

I'm still torn what to think of her arc. In all honesty, it's not like I needed Joo Da to make the decision to be with Do Hwa instead of Nam Joo. But I think the pacing to her decision to be with Nam Joo felt very off. I mean they dropped the line "Money." as the answer to Nam Joo's question what Joo Da likes, so maybe that was an indicator of what to expect from her. And you can be a strong woman even if you make the decision to go along with the plot. I think Joo Da is pragmatic. She loves her grandmother and she needs the money to take care of her (even though now Nam Joo doesn't have any money?). I saw some people celebrating Joo Da's joke (?) to have two boyfriends. But I was a bit like "what!?". And thankfully Do Hwa was like:

tenor.gif

Do Hwa doesn't need to worry. No matter where he will be after "Secret" ended I'm pretty sure he is either in his very own manhwa where he finds a girl who appreciates him as much he appreciates the ladies OR he is somewhere in the college manhwa, still getting the girl he deserves. I'm just glad we got a scene with A3 as well. That we found out they've really known eachother since kindergarten and that Do Hwa got to acknowledge what a cute/good/deserves everything kind of man he is. I teared up with him. Nam Joo's line "My boys" cracked me up so hard I had to stop myself from laughing on the bus. Cheesy guy remains cheesy. It was bittersweet. Talking of Nam Joo though, it's so funny he is actually strawberry boy in the new manhwa but also I probably had like 5 seconds of thinking that he is actually aware but maybe I'm wrong.

And then of course Do Hwa proving that he is the biggest DanHaRu shipper out there. I still want my E3 24/7 drama. I think if anything I'm sad that even if they should be in the same manhwa they will probably never meet and we will never have our E3 moments. Okay the tears start coming again... need to stop myself:

giphy.gif

And then there is Kyung:

I'm also glad he isn't in the same manhwa as DanHaRu but for entirely different reasons than some might expect. I think he simply deserves his own story, his own manhwa with a great family and with someone who loves him like Dan Oh and Ha Ru love eachother. Quite honestly, I didn't expect it but that last scene with Kyung putting down his diploma and the dreadful tennisball (my headcanon is he somewhat hates playing tennis but his setup forces him to do so) touched me more than his "redemption" arc. He knew the ending was coming which is terrible because in the end he couldn't do what Dan Oh, Ha Ru, Do Hwa and Joo Da did, to find his true self. But I'm sure he will be able to do so in another manhwa, may it be as a male lead or a nameless extra.

Dan Oh, Ha Ru and DanHaRu (how could I separate them when "Secret" writer is already so cruel to do so?):

I have to say Dan Oh and Ha Ru set the bar high for future drama couples to come. Is there any way someone can top their love for eachother? Their love feels unearthly but at the same time so real. Soulmates are rarely found and their unconditional love seems almost not possible to exist outside books, tv shows or movies. Yet, there are people who claim to have found their soulmates who would describe their love for the other half just as it's shown with DanHaRu. It never felt forced to me or too good to be true. They were just natural together. They found eachother in "Secret" and I'm still wondering whether the writer intended for it to happen. We still didn't get any answer as to why Dan Oh became aware in the first place. Or why Ha Ru came into this manhwa. In the webtoon it's all explained with a glitch, the writer basically doesn't know something is wrong outside the panels. But in the drama it's not so clear in the end. Was it because of Dan Oh's wish to live that the glitch happened and she became aware or was there somewhere in the writer compassion for the female extra with the terminal disease.

But anyways... in all that Dan Oh and Ha Ru found eachother and they fought for eachother. There was never any doubt on Dan Oh's or Ha Ru's part that they belong together. They tried to change their fate but in the end they had no power to go up against the almighty writer who moves the characters around. The writer tried to separate Dan Oh and Ha Ru: first in "Trumpet Flower" by killing Dan Oh, then in "Secret" by making Ha Ru a extra with a setup and later with Dan Oh losing her memory. Yet none of that stopped them to find eachother. But towards the end of "Secret" it's clear they've reached the point of no return. And Ha Ru knows he won't be there to be with Dan Oh until the end. The whole scene with Ha Ru disappearing felt like it was taken straight from a horror movie. I was a crying mess when Ha Ru asked Dan Oh to say his name... he wanted it to be the last to hear before he disappears, just like her name was the last thing he would say. It takes guts to put a scene like this in a so-called highschool fantasy romance. The drama broke my heart into pieces.

And then when Dan Oh heard Ha Ru calling her name and she is the only one not looking into the camera. Isn't that saying it all?

68509078e95b3921aeca3beb14246a63de6b43d7

7113312733e0d26c3b75cc55a5e8ed4147552201

And then she found Ha Ru's drawing book with their story in it... if you weren't crying by then, then you probably have no heart because I was a mess. And then the dreadful sound of pages turning starts and you know the manhwa is over. (who else expected Dan Oh to just die right there at the tree? My anxiety level was UP THERE)

I loved that in the new manhwa Dan Oh and Ha Ru are extras without any setup or significance. We knew they would find eachother. Though I wonder if the writer, again, intended for it to happen, for Dan Oh and Ha Ru to get their happy ending, living without boundaries and without having to follow a setup. And who remembered first? Or did Ha Ru, just like when he was a nameless extra in "Secret", just drew their story without knowing the roots of it?

And then when Dan Oh found Ha Ru, saying exactly that "I found you"... I haven't cried this many tears in a drama for a long time. And you have Ha Ru who is probably anxious to acknowledge her because what if he does and it's all but a dream. But then he stops her by calling out her name and they hug and I'm just living for this moment of perfection. Because these two... they love without boundaries, live without regret. They live their lives to its fullest just like the drama wants to teach us. Even when Dan Oh was suffering from her heart disease what stood out to me was that she rarely made it all about how she suffers. It was all about changing her fate but also about living her life and not regretting one thing. We all should live like that. Don't waste your time on things that make you unhappy, with people you don't love and complaining when you can actually change your own fate. It might not be easy and not everything will work out as we want it to be but it's better than to do nothing and remain unhappy and unloved.

I haven't even written all of what I wanted to write down but I think my heart can only take this much. This drama was simply the best this year, for me at least. I will remember it for as long as I remember all my favorite dramas and I will rewatch it and laugh with all the characters and cry for them.

I want to say thank you to everyone who contributed their thoughts but mostly showed their love for this drama here. :D It was amazing to be active in a drama thread again after a long time. I hope we will have some more discussions in the next couple days and maybe weeks but mostly I hope to see you all in other drama threads again. Thank you, Extra Squad! You were, no, you ARE awesome!

• Like 10
  • Love 7

I adore how Dan Oh got Ha Ru there. Usually she is always flustered by him but this time she was really aiming for his heart. :wub:

e47265ee93c72f6d571cd3bdc6bcc952f7929ae5c1caf406dc2f810462c83754e16a83f51963c83d

Spoiler

a678efd472224a52e39275c77ec8c9d40ace4fc7ee2dd3451ab6d9bd4e1b128651436edcb14831d2

e38b96aa8d1ad4d44c1e8a129ed6f021d55c28aaa541b66d47f79220e6667e4f7caf9e004a208201

1dd5b9928c3503049bc8d9f9c2ec6a2e3a00c7e736fb8c6e86de2c12471fb945b9ce6cfff5f1c3be

1dfab2ce07708c2150cb0816406a12e114de10630ad2f7bf18f73c6804ad2e86735f3582fe32b0d5

Credit: thingskateknows

• Like 5
  • Sad 3
  • Love 5

Romantic dramas “When the Camellia Blooms” on KBS2 and “Extraordinary You” on MBC both wrapped up this Thursday, recording 23.8 percent and 3.6 percent, respectively, in viewer ratings for their final episodes, according to Nielsen Korea.

Despite the large discrepancies in the number of viewers who tuned in to watch the grand finales of the two series, “Camellia” and “Extraordinary” took first and second place on the list of most buzzworthy dramas compiled for the second week of November by media analyst Good Data. Three actors from each drama also landed on the top 10 buzzworthy actors list the same week, according to Good Data. The lists were calculated after an analysis of the amount and quality of posts and comments about the dramas and characters in the news, social media and on video platforms.

So what’s the secret behind the explosive online fame of “Extraordinary You,” which hadn’t received as much TV attention as its competitors but had many of its clips on YouTube viewed more than a million times?

Besides the interesting storyline and talented cast, the popularity of the drama owes a lot to the fact that it’s based on the hit web comic “July Found By Chance,” which was first published on Daum in 2018.

“Extraordinary” is just one of the few webtoon-turned-TV shows dominating Korean television today. KBS2’s ongoing “The Tale of Nokdu,” a romantic comedy set in the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) that first appeared on Naver Webtoon in 2014, ranks third on the most buzzworthy list. TvN’s comedy “Pegasus Market,” which was first serialized on Naver in 2010, wraps up Good Data’s buzzworthy list at No. 10.

Although viewers have a general idea of how these dramas are going to end, the compelling characters and the intricate story lines of web comics, often devised over the course of several years by cartoonists, have won over legions of young fans who are used to the medium.

“Extraordinary You” has a complicated plot that only the most diligent viewers can keep up with. Protagonist Eun Dan-oh (Kim Hye-yoon) is a high school student who suddenly realizes that she is actually a minor character inside the comic book “Secret,” whose only purpose of existence is to help the book’s two protagonists fall in love. Having discovered her own “ego,” Eun tries to help the comic book characters uncover theirs.

Many viewers were excited to continue following the ever-thickening plot and even willing to help others understand what was going on, said Park Myung-jin, a researcher at Good Data.

“Webtoon dramas usually attract high interest because there are fans of the original work,” Park said. “The resemblance of the actors to the original webtoon characters and word-of-mouth marketing influences the subsequent interest, but in the case of ‘Extraordinary You,’ many people uploaded videos that compiled key clips from the drama and online posts explaining the fictional universe.”

“A lot of diverse stories are coming to TV thanks to the creativity of webtoons, as shown in ‘Extraordinary You,’ where side characters become the protagonists, and ‘Pegasus Market’ which features indigenous people,” mused drama critic Gong Hee-jeong.

“Webtoon users are familiar with a wacky sense of humor and open to experimentation, but they’re strict when it comes to dramas undermining the quality of the original work,” said Prof. Park Ki-soo, who teaches culture contents at Hanyang University.

“Viewers are more proactive now in the era of Netflix, Watch Play and other streaming platforms, so content [providers] need to make corresponding changes.”

• Like 7

From the beginning to the end until another manhwa...:wub:

0dcbab2f91f92ec17f952736a632e371190407a3

Spoiler

c4e36ffea1d56ea1d7a4a230f954e35d67e0fb97

03c886bd047da26579cf376d783e05732d07e056

592a373dfc96637d9e45000b04a39215a3d4e772

6240f3a1148e0e6a90f32894f5ec3ecc141471d8

5465acf5456874621ab52e9d0d171a7b85fcbb4d

d72decc30a6a6aebc4fef36b444b194007357d1c

Credit: mufalo

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3

Loved the ending and how DO can literally pull off any hairstyle. She is so beautiful. And ahh I wanna date a guy HRs height!

• Like 8

I just checked Mydaramlist and saw that many people were disappointed about how Dan Oh stopped caring about changing her terminal illness set up after she met Haru. And I couldn't help myself from defending her :lol: Firstly, we all saw how desperately Dan Oh wanted to change her fate and stopped only when Haru disappeared. Haru the person who tried to help her changing her fate, was always nice to her and treated her with utmost respect. You cannot let another person die because of you in order to save your life especially if that person is innocent like Haru. It's not about being strong and progressive. It's pure selfishness and wrong.

Secondly, to Dan Oh in the beginning Haru was just someone who can change her fate and she was actually "using" him. Only after losing him she realised how important he is to her. She is an extra whose purpose of life is to bring the leads together and provide solace to Baek Kyung. She existed for others and her life had no meaning. But like Dan Oh said Haru is the one who makes her feel like she is main character. When Haru disappeared she became depressed but when he returned and came back to her she became cheerful in no time. I'm not saying that her happiness depends on Haru. Yes she was happy before too but she often became sad when she remembered that she is a character and an extra. So how can she bear to lose the person who makes her feel like she is the most important and precious person even though she's not. She gave up trying to change her fate because she realised that a short but colorful and happy life is much better than a long and dull one. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

And the saga of Dan Oh getting accidentally hit continues:D Lol Rowoon hitting his own hand for accidentally hitting her:sweatingbullets: he is so sweet just like haru

• Like 7
  • Love 3

36bd62e0edcf9b4e7c4df4b32f414d69aaed5679

1e9c81fbe1588a9a460822e78af6486f96ab92d2

DanHaru must be doing their 20th kiss now :wub::wub:

@Jillia I was actually ok with Joo Da's decision because I could understand her reason. But then she said she wants to date both the boys and I was totally turned off. If this was said by Dowha or Haru everyone would have started cursing them but since she is a girl she got free pass. Thankfully Dowha said goodbye to her. He deserves someone like Dan Oh not Joo Da.

• Like 11

@-Love Blossom-

Yeah, it was a bit much. Like I was on her side when she decided to be fair about her decision and to let Do Hwa know. But instead of letting him move on she comes around with that "proposal". She probably meant it as a joke but it took away from her personality a bit. And I agree: Do Hwa deserves EVERYTHING.

But OMO! All that kissing... Now I have in my mind maybe Ha Ru had to straighten his tie again because they really made out for some time. You know a lot of kissing. :D :wub:

• Like 7
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Jillia said:

@-Love Blossom-

Yeah, it was a bit much. Like I was on her side when she decided to be fair about her decision and to let Do Hwa know. But instead of letting him move on she comes around with that "proposal". She probably meant it as a joke but it took away from her personality a bit. And I agree: Do Hwa deserves EVERYTHING.

But OMO! All that kissing... Now I have in my mind maybe Ha Ru had to straighten his tie again because they really made out for some time. You know a lot of kissing. :D :wub:

Since they are university students now they can do a bit "mature" kissing now. :wub::P Dan Oh should have written 1000 kisses now that they don't have any interference and can stay with each other all time

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

52 minutes ago, -Love Blossom- said:

Since they are university students now they can do a bit "mature" kissing now. :wub::P Dan Oh should have written 1000 kisses now that they don't have any interference and can stay with each other all time

Great minds think alike. 

giphy.gif

• LOL 7

I think they didn't call media to party because there aren't media pictures, only fansite pictures 

Spoiler

So cute:wub:

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, egv said:

Does anyone know, if we buy EY blue ray on Yes24 global (https://global.yes24.com/Goods/82145952) does this equivalent daum cafe? (https://m.cafe.daum.net/extraordinaryBD/_rec)

Yes this is the pre-order website for international fans. :D However, please note if you pre-order this it can happen that when the number of pre-orders is too low they won't produce it. In that case of course the pre-order is cancelled. But we will get infos on that after the pre-order phase has ended on December 1st. 

I will post any updates on that matter here. But I believe we can be optimistic about the blu-ray production because like @leeminhosny said EY was/is actually a popular drama despite the ratings. :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Harry97 said:

And the saga of Dan Oh getting accidentally hit continues:D Lol Rowoon hitting his own hand for accidentally hitting her:sweatingbullets: he is so sweet just like haru

Ahhh this is so painful Rowoon and KHY really cried :tears: They sould be so sad because drama finish and they are together for 6 months:tears:  Haru and Danoh together again but they break up now :tears:

1 minute ago, Jillia said:

I will post any updates on that matter here. But I believe we can be optimistic about the blu-ray production because like @leeminhosny said EY was/is actually a popular drama despite the ratings. :D 

we don't trust people  :joy:  so I aware of everyone left Rowoon after drama 

Spoiler

Everytime I think SF9's fandom bigger but every cb era album sales low:tears: 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Harry97 @leeminhosny

I was so touched to watch the making of of Ha Ru trying to make Dan Oh remember him and Rowoon and Kim Hye Yoon were tearing up. They know how much Dan Oh and Ha Ru mean to eachother.:bawling:

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Love 3

37 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

Ahhh this is so painful Rowoon and KHY really cried :tears: They sould be so sad because drama finish and they are together for 6 months:tears:  Haru and Danoh together again but they break up now :tears:

we don't trust people  :joy:  so I aware of everyone left Rowoon after drama 

Reveal hidden contents

Everytime I think SF9's fandom bigger but every cb era album sales low:tears: 

They definitely became good friends during those 6 months. I hope they will continue to remain remain so. 

Don't worry rowoon has really worked hard and has won so many hearts. Whenever I visit sf9 mvs I find comments like how they became curious about the group due to rowoon from ey but now have actually started to like the group. Hard work always pays off it's just that it takes some time .

13 minutes ago, Jillia said:

@Harry97 @leeminhosny

I was so touched to watch the making of of Ha Ru trying to make Dan Oh remember him and Rowoon and Kim Hye Yoon were tearing up. They know how much Dan Oh and Ha Ru mean to eachother.:bawling:

Ya they were totally breathing their characters for the past 6 months. They really gave their all for this drama and it reflects onscreen in their performances. I hope they get more and better opportunities in future to showcase their talent. 

• Like 7