[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

It's so refreshing to have such a self-referential drama on air, defying all the usual tropes and cliche. I don't think that there are meta kdramas (maybe only W?) like this (constantly breaking the 4th wall), if there are, do recommend, I am dying for more.

When reading the forum, the theory that Dan-Oh and Haru, belong to another story (hence the many flashbacks to saguek references), but repurposed for another story, reminded me of Doki Doki Literature Club. But hopefully here, they will have a happy (not a bloody ending like in that video game), because the Dried Squid Fairy has forebode for something darker, even in the webtoon.

I went to read the webtoon, whatever has been subbed, the drama is moving very fast, already breezed through 18 out of 60 chapters. I wonder if the drama script writer will be kinder than the webtoon writer.

P.S. Kim Hye Yoon is really hard-carrying the drama. Really glad that she has levelled up to lead level. Prior to Sky Castle, she only had minor roles.

• Like 6

A new fan here!

I initially watched the drama to support Hye Yoon because with her acting skills she deserves to be a main lead. She was in minor roles before just because she wanted to focus on her study (I read somewhere that she got a scholarship for her undergrad). I'm super glad that she took this role!

And now I'm hooked on this drama because of the plot, characters, and everything about it! It is torturing me to wait for next episodes :(

Need help here! Do you think the last scene between DO and BK is a stage or shadow? I kept thinking it is a stage but then how come Haru came and punched BK?

And about the bleeding Haru, it is because several books fell down and hit him on the forehead. It was not shown but I believe that was what the director wanted us to think.

Anyway, keep on posting. I love reading your comments, at least they sustain me for Wednesday to come :)

• Like 5

Just caught up to episode 8. A few things I noted, some of which I hope will be addressed (or connection will be seen) later in the show.

1. Jinmichae definitely recognizes or knows Haru, when he saw him at the courtyard from the library. But how and from where is an unknown for now.
  2. I like the fact that the boys wear pink and the girls wear blue, exactly opposite from the usual societal norm colors. I wonder if it was an intentional choice.
  3. BK is actually a nicer person in the shadows than on stage. His jerk persona is “scripted” and spills over to the shadow, but his slightly nicer side sometimes surfaces in the shadow, which I feel could be a foretelling of his possible “awakening” e.g. he bothered to ask DO where she went and that he was concerned about her heart, the day after the original stage, (which was changed by Haru) when he was in the shadows, and then DH came to ask about the previous night, and BK realized something was off.
  4. It’s fun to see the friendship between DO and DH. The way they sometimes observe the other on stage while they are in the shadows is quite amusing.
  5. Since Haru is an extra without even a name, he probably doesn’t have a family nor a home. Does he then live in the school and the corner in the library (which is likely a part of the shadows) thus becomes his special hiding place, allowing him to put up DO’s portraits?
  • Like 6

I noticed one more thing...if u see the cover of secret ,u can never guess it is a light romance novel...its too dark and mysterious as a cover for love novel isn't it?

The cover looks really like a historical novel (kind off..)

Somehow that makes me feel that the story is changing but its meant to be that way..

Also that black hole could be the portal to the novel haru and danoh were leads in and which had a sad ending...

My guesses are going wild now..

• Like 5

Papago translation: How did you find yourself?
                                    Danoh X Dohwa.jpg
                                    I'm rooting for this chemistry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too am also now noticing that "Secret" novel's book cover has trumpet flower on it!
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

33 minutes ago, Jillia said:

5. I think Ha Ru lives in the library or school overall. But then... what about all the other extras? They go somewhere. But he is a exceptions for anything at the moment, soooo....

If Haru and Jinmichae are from a different manhwa then they don't really have a place in this world. They technically don't belong here so maybe that's why one stays in the kitchen while the other in the library. The way Jinmichae continues to say that it's impossible to change what the writer has in mind makes me think that he failed to do it, and the only way to save himself and get rid of the writer's influence was to run away through the black whole to another manhwa. Maybe Haru is like that too.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, adibadiba said:

Need help here! Do you think the last scene between DO and BK is a stage or shadow? I kept thinking it is a stage but then how come Haru came and punched BK?

I suspect the stage ended when it started raining.

1. The lighting for the stage tends to be warmer tones but the lighting changed when it rained, possibly because it rained or it could also signal that stage has ended.
  2. After it started raining, DO spoke her thoughts (which was totally out of her manhwa character) when BK lashed out at her.
  3. HR said BK probably wouldn’t remember anything because the scene will change. Since HR is one of those who is aware, he would know that whatever happens in the shadows isn’t remembered by those who remain unaware, and in this case, BK isn’t fully aware yet.

Which reminds me I missed out one other thing in my previous list of things I noticed.

BK might have been the first person to notice HR’s existence but due to his lack of awareness, he did not connect HR to anything. Before HR’s face was revealed in the show, he knocked into BK near the staircase (from where DO fell subsequently) and BK kept wanting to see who he was but couldn’t figure out anything. That scene made me think BK would become aware soon, so to see DH becoming aware before BK, was unexpected for me when it happened.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

9 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Really the more I think about and the more I rewatch all those moments Kyung treats Dan Oh like trash the angrier I get at him. I just don't think it would be okay to excuse his actions just because the writer has written him that way. Yes, maybe he is struggling inside - hating how he can't say otherwise - but when the stage was over and the rain started he was still mean to her. So no way I can root for Kyung. Like I want his background story and I want him to become aware, so Dan Oh can finally tell him the face that it was not okay how he treated how - no matter what.

Like Kyung deserved that punch and more.

I'm with you, there's just no way I can like him much less ship him and DO together. I don't really get how one can justify the fact that he left her alone in the forest at night when she was almost ready to collapse from her heart problem. He knows that she collapses easily. What if she lost consciousness and had gotten hypothermia which in itself is dangerous but combined what a weak heart would be twice as dangerous. Sigh... every time he's treating her like trash I just feel so exasperated with his character.  The manhwa writer made him not only a jerk but also such an exhausting character. I would not be surprised if he became self aware next. But then again there is no guarantee that everyone that becomes self aware will be different from their written persona. Maybe JD and NJ aren't becoming self aware because their 'real' personalities are somewhat similar so they don't feel the dissonance like DO and DH did. 

BTW, the more I rewatch the episodes the more I believe that DO and HR were leads in another historical manhwa before meeting in this one. Based on how long he's been drawing her, he noticed her way before she even got a proper look at him. And the way her heart beats faster every time he's near is really strange. It's like her heart recognizes him way before her brain does. I also wonder how did HR find that hidden beautiful place in the woods? It was the first time he was there much like everyone else. Plus that traditional building where he and DO spent time together. It's like he knew those places. HR also was the one who found that old treasure box. Then there's his strange expression when DO joked about being a princes in her previous life... Maybe that was the plot of their previous manhwa? But then again I haven't read the original webtoon so these are all just my speculations. The only chapter that I look at was the last one currently translated and in it

Spoiler

Jinmichae tells DO that he was a swordsman in a historical manhwa and the writer 'forced' him to kill many people, including the woman he fell in love with, even though he didn't want to do any of it. I wonder how he knows HR? BTW, HR's wound on his palm looks like the one you'd get from trying to grab a knife... or a sword. Weird coincidence if you ask me.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

SF9’s Rowoon Makes Hearts Flutter With His Mere Presence In “Extraordinary You”

SF9’s Rowoon Makes Hearts Flutter With His Mere Presence In “Extraordinary You”

SF9’s Rowoon is charming viewers with his role as Ha Roo (also known as “No. 13”) in “Extraordinary You”!

The MBC drama tells the story of a high school student named Eun Dan Oh (Kim Hye Yoon) who discovers that she is a character in a manhwa (Korean comic). When she meets a nameless extra in the story (SF9’s Rowoon), she decides to go against her predetermined fate and find true love.

Rowoon made his official first appearance in the drama during the fourth episode, which was dubbed one of the most powerful male lead “entrances” in drama history. With his lofty height and good looks that make it seem as if he really stepped out of a manhwa, Rowoon has amplified the anticipation towards the drama with how well he suits his character.

Spoiler

Spoiler

The subtle changes in Ha Roo’s emotions have also stimulated curiosity and excitement among viewers. At first, he treated Eun Dan Oh with expressionless silence, but he gradually started to warm up to her. In addition to being caught smiling in the most recent episodes, at the end of episode eight, Ha Roo told Eun Dan Oh’s fiancé Baek Kyung (Lee Jae Wook), “Even if you say it, you won’t remember it. Since the scene will change soon,” making viewers explode with curiosity, since it seemed like he knew the secrets of the manhwa world.

Despite his belated appearance, Rowoon is adding interest to the plot development by imprinting a strong presence in the drama. Viewers are anticipating the romance that he will create with Kim Hye Yoon’s character amidst the love triangle with Lee Jae Wook’s character.

sf9-rowoon2.jpg

CR:soompi

• Like 6

You know, I was wondering this: Haru draws so well, so what if he had been the writer of the historical webtoon of which Jinmichae was originally a part of? And the way he keeps drawing Dan Oh.... What if Dan Oh was a character he himself created and then fell in love with. He tried to make her real, but Jinmichae messed it up, and the present situation arose....

What do you guys think?

10 hours ago, Jillia said:

It must be so weird for Ha Ru to be suddenly noticed by the girl he has been drawing all the time. :lol:

Awwww

Dear old Won-Won:lol:

• Like 3