Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

19 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Oh my heart... They really need a happy ending. The writer tortured them long enough.

this is so pretty. omg. somehow its appropriate. 

someone said haru was innocent and i totally agree to this but can we discuss about how totally smooth he is though he is innocent. he is instinctively such a sweetheart to dan oh because he just loves her that much.

it also just occurred to me that when dan oh's heart would beat faster just by the presence of haru near her was because she still loved him in her subconscious.   

i know it's totally very near impossible to expect another kiss scene but i really want more kisses. who else agrees?

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, taskdramafanatic said:

someone said haru was innocent and i totally agree to this but can we discuss about how totally smooth he is though he is innocent. he is instinctively such a sweetheart to dan oh because he just loves her that much.

Hahaha... that's why Korean viewers call him "fox". :lol: Even MBC-Team is calling him "fox Ha Ru" because he is such a smooth flirt. He learnt quickly but I also think Dan Oh is bringing it all out.:wub:

0ace58ec680e4e0541145603a7e599bcfe545d2e

Which is more reason why I don't want that the writer has actually control over the shadow as well because that would mean Ha Ru is such a good man and smooth flirt because of "Secret" writer which still would be great. Like I want men like Ha Ru or Do Hwa in the dramas. But I like it more that Ha Ru is a good man because of himself. You know what I mean? :D

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, taskdramafanatic said:

I think he's innocent more because he's like a foal learning to walk at first.  He says or does something more harsh later (can't remember what) and Squid says that's more like the "old you".  But I also think what we've seen of him and his loving nature is the real him unadulterated by experience.  As he remembers, he'll likely have a fuller personality.  One thing to remember is the books on  the shelf in the library.  A close up reveals this is the writer's  reference library.  One book is  Romeo and Juliet.  I do think Haru is based on Romeo, and Romeo, despite his young age, was a player, falling in and out of love until he met Juliet.  Juliet was beautiful but intensely witty as well, and it's her wit as well as her insistence on the real, the authentic, the honest that reverberates with the Dan Oh character the most for me.

I sometime think the reason Squid and Haru can remember the past books (unlike Do Hwa and likely younger brother who have just read Trumpet Flower) is because they are not the writer's original creations. He or she stole them wholesale from the classics.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 8

6 hours ago, Jillia said:

@dairymilks

Unfortunately I don't know where else you can read it. Maybe somebody else can help. Maybe @Peach? :D

Ohh hey:lol: It's been a long time I didn't post in this thread but it's so fun reading all the comments. So much love:wub:

Before the drama airing, the raw version of the webtoon is still free on Daum Webtoon, all the chapters and seasons. But unfortunately, we have to pay now. You can read the english version on mangarock, but it's not finish yet. Here the link,

https://mangarock.com/manga/mrs-serie-100297968

Btw, how can our Danharu so adorable together? Ah, I'm crazy about them.

Also, I understand there are two teams in this drama. But, can we support them both? I mean Kyung and Haru, they're so adorable together too! (That's pottery class pft) I'm sad reading the comments out of there.

It's just my thought. I always feel suspicious with all the lessons in the class. Especially, the last art class. It's about the process of making a pottery, somehow I feel it's indicated the 'author's creation'. When someone asked how to understand the pottery wants, the teacher said it's about instinct. We can't force our creation, if you do then it's will mess up (or something like that).  What if it's indicated the writer's real situation, like how he/she taking deal with his/her story and characters... (Somehow I feel the real writer is the art teacher LOL.)

One more, like @Jillia mention before, that's past perfect tense too!

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Peach said:

Ohh hey:lol: It's been a long time I didn't post in this thread but it's so fun reading ...snip

It's just my thought. I always feel suspicious with all the lessons in the class. Especially, the last art class. It's about the process of making a pottery, somehow I feel it's indicated the 'author's creation'. When someone asked how to understand the pottery wants, the teacher said it's about instinct. We can't force our creation, if you do then it's will mess up (or something like that).  What if it's indicated the writer's real situation, like how he/she taking deal with his/her story and characters... (Somehow I feel the real writer is the art teacher LOL.)

One more, like @Jillia mention before, that's past perfect tense too!

Nice catch on the art lesson!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jillia said:

Ha Ru could speak before the beach scene. :lol: I really don't get why his first time using his voice should've been at the beach when he said her name. He did so before... long before Dan Oh became aware. Even though yes, he did say her name back then. I agree Dan Oh was his beginning but definitely not at the beach but long before that.

I feel like we’re talking in different planes.  Yes he could speak but he didn’t technically “exist” as HR the character in Secret to everyone else in the Secret Universe.  He had no face to everyone in the Secret Universe.  He was just #13.  Nobody knows or remembers anything about him.  No family, no home, no background.  That’s why when he first called her name in class, she walked right past him like he wasn’t there (she wasn’t “looking” for him).  Until DO “found” him and willed him into existence and he became the real #13 to her.  She tried to find his “back” and then finally “gave him his face in the world of Secret”.  Then she kept relating to him as #13 and solidified his existence and purpose in the Secret Universe.  Just because we as the audience can see him as Rowoon/HR right from the start doesn’t mean the characters in Secret can.  That’s probably why nobody else could “recognise” #13 initially.  Yes he may have had beginnings from the past in TF and existed as an ethereal creature prior to DO finding him, but reality is had she not looked for him, he wouldn’t have “existed” as HR the character in Secret.  Importantly she’s set the precedent here in Secret.  She can will him to life even if the writer didn’t pen his character in from the beginning.  This is vastly different from TF where he already existed.  If we go with the iteration theory where the comic world is like an iteration of someone’s reincarnated self.  Then it means even if future comics where only one of them exists in the initial character chart, the other can will the missing one into existence and they can play out their love line once more in the shadow.  HR exists in her subconscious and he’s always “waiting” for her, he protects her even if he’s a faceless “extra”.  If she can do what she did in Secret, she can do the same in the next comic and the next, she will always find him.  Their love line will transcend time and circumstance.

As for why using his voice for the beach scene was significant, it was because it was the first time he acted of his own will to disobey DO’s instructions.  He became his own person, he had his own “voice” as it were, capable of making his own decisions apart from her.  He solidified his character as part of the landscape of Secret.  He wasn’t just a robot following DO’s bidding anymore. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 5

36 minutes ago, nrllee said:

I feel like we’re talking in different planes.  Yes he could speak but he didn’t technically “exist” as HR the character in Secret to everyone else in the Secret Universe.  He had no face to everyone in the Secret Universe.  He was just #13.  Nobody knows or remembers anything about him.  No family, no home, no background.  That’s why when he first called her name in class, she walked right past him like he wasn’t there (she wasn’t “looking” for him).  Until DO “found” him and willed him into existence and he became the real #13 to her.  She tried to find his “back” and then finally “gave him his face in the world of Secret”.  Then she kept relating to him as #13 and solidified his existence and purpose in the Secret Universe.  Just because we as the audience can see him as Rowoon/HR right from the start doesn’t mean the characters in Secret can.  That’s probably why nobody else could “recognise” #13 initially.  Yes he may have had beginnings from the past in TF and existed as an ephemeral creature prior to DO finding him, but reality is had she not looked for him, he wouldn’t have “existed” as HR the character in Secret.  Importantly she’s set the precedent here in Secret.  She can will him to life even if the writer didn’t pen his character in from the beginning.  This is vastly different from TF where he already existed.  If we go with the iteration theory where the comic world is like an iteration of someone’s reincarnated self.  Then it means even if future comics where only one of them exists in the initial character chart, the other can will the missing one into existence and they can play out their love line once more in the shadow.  HR exists in her subconscious and he’s always “waiting” for her, he protects her even if he’s a faceless “extra”.  If she can do what she did in Secret, she can do the same in the next comic and the next, she will always find him.  Their love line will transcend time and circumstance.

As for why using his voice for the beach scene was significant, it was because it was the first time he acted of his own will to disobey DO’s instructions.  He became his own person, he had his own “voice” as it were, capable of making his own decisions apart from her.  He solidified his character as part of the landscape of Secret.  He wasn’t just a robot following DO’s bidding anymore. 

Yes, I think this is right.  Moreover, interestingly, I think Kyung recognized him, was in a way waiting for him, subconsciously too.  We were talking about Romeo and Juliet and Juliet's fiance Count Paris.  It's eerie how Kyung plays out the role of Paris.  Paris and Juliet's engagement is political yet he comes to truly love her.  Even when she says she doesn't love him and refuses to marry him, he goes into denial and calls her his wife and his love.  When she dies he takes vigil at her grave, faithful, and mistakenly gets into a sword fight with Romeo.  Romeo kills Paris but fulfills his dying wish and, weirdly, buries him with Juliet before killing himself.

So these 3 share a grave, and you can see how an imagination could project their entanglement in every incarnation and every book.  Because in the Shakespeare, it wasn't just a record of two in love, but of three.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 6

9 hours ago, Jillia said:

Hahaha... that's why Korean viewers call him "fox". :lol: Even MBC-Team is calling him "fox Ha Ru" because he is such a smooth flirt. He learnt quickly but I also think Dan Oh is bringing it all out.:wub:

yeah i've heard about that. i feel like he just shows how he feels for dan oh very bravely. 

9 hours ago, Jillia said:

Which is more reason why I don't want that the writer has actually control over the shadow as well because that would mean Ha Ru is such a good man and smooth flirt because of "Secret" writer which still would be great. Like I want men like Ha Ru or Do Hwa in the dramas. But I like it more that Ha Ru is a good man because of himself. You know what I mean? :D

i don't thnink the writer has any control over the shadow and that is the reason that they are able to do what they want and i know that beak kyung doubts that haru and dan oh can actually change anything but we've seen haru do it several times to doubt it now. and i think haru is the way he because of himself. like he is so perfect because he came into existence as someone perfect, so even when the writer draws him as someone who can't do things, in the shadow he is able to do everything that others can't, like beak kyung is better at tennis at the stage but in the shadow haru is better than him and then he is so intelligent and also good at literally everything from art to sports to music you name it.

conclusion, haru is perfect but i don't secret's writer intended him to be perfect.

8 hours ago, brielover said:

I think he's innocent more because he's like a foal learning to walk at first.  He says or does something more harsh later (can't remember what) and Squid says that's more like the "old you".

JMC said this when haru was rewritten back in secret as bad boy haru because he was more like himself because of how he was in the stage of trumpet creeper, a ruthless assassin, loyal to beak kyung and he knew him well for sure. haru was created to be quite dangerous by the writer.

8 hours ago, brielover said:

I sometime think the reason Squid and Haru can remember the past books (unlike Do Hwa and likely younger brother who have just read Trumpet Flower) is because they are not the writer's original creations. He or she stole them wholesale from the classics.

that is actually a very interesting theory

• Like 7

7 hours ago, brielover said:

sometime think the reason Squid and Haru can remember the past books (unlike Do Hwa and likely younger brother who have just read Trumpet Flower) is because they are not the writer's original creations. He or she stole them wholesale from the classics.

that is actually a very interesting theory. i always thought the writer literally stole characters from other works and books because all the characters are self aware and stuff, that was my theory in the beginning until they explained they were from the previous work of the writer.

4 hours ago, Peach said:

I mean Kyung and Haru, they're so adorable together too!

i love kyung and haru interactions even though they are always hostile towards each other. there is a charm about all those scenes

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, mikhaella75 said:

Just wondering why is it the book titled SECRET? 

In the webtoon, I think it was titled that way because

Spoiler

Oh Nam Ju was dyslexic and hid it from everyone, the childhood memory that occurred between Yeo Ju Da and Lee Do Hwa, and Lee Do Hwa’s dad playing a role in the death of Yeo Ju Da’s grandmother. They didn’t seem to adapt those arcs in the drama, which imo would make it too complicated.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 6

Thank you so much, @Peach, for posting the link. :D I think with Kyung and Ha Ru, I love Lee Jae Wook but can't really support Kyung, even though I'm all here for him to find out the mystery surrounding "Trumpet Creeper" and therefore "Secret". :) But the drama writer certainly knows how to create situational humor. :lol: Their scene, even though it was just seconds, in the pottery scene was comedy gold.

Your thoughts on the lessons echo with mind. I would need to rewatch but in many lessons, even math, it's almost like the "Secret" writer is hinting to something. And most definitely a interesting theory about the pottery lesson. :)

When it comes to Dan Oh dying or not dying I'm a bit torn. On one hand I don't want her to die. The writer just really hates her, giving her a terminal disease, making her a plot device for Nam Joo and Joo Da, giving her a 10 year crush which is unrequited, pushing her down the stairs (Sae Mi, really... that was a terrible thing to do to Joo Da!) and so on. Also, in any other drama or manhwa/manga this would be a setup for a female lead, not for a extra. But anyways... on the other hand I think if Dan Oh - and subsequently Ha Ru - remainin "Secret" they can never be together. Yes, they say it's enough for them to be together in the shadow. But I think they deserve a happiness in the shaodw and on stage. So if that means Dan Oh needs to die in order for a) her to be reborn in another manhwa without this terrible setup and b) to have a complete happy ending with Ha Ru, then maybe that's the only way? (don't slap me! :D)

The other option would be for the writer to completely change/rewrite "Secret" in order to make Ha Ru and Dan Oh the couple on stage as well. But if a writer would do that last minute in a drama I would call it bad writing, so I don't think this will happen.

I'm also still here hoping Baek Kyung gets shipped off to his own manhwa where he doesn't have a abusive father and terrible stepmom and in which he gets the girl. Like can we give all the character a break, "Secret" writer?!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Jillia said:

Oh my heart... They really need a happy ending. The writer tortured them long enough.

Reveal hidden contents

Credit: anastasiaromnov

I have always strongly agreed with this line "You can't love someone unless you love yourself first". But Haru really changed my thinking. He actually never thought of himself. He always put Dan Oh before himself and everything. That kind of man is possible only on comic books :wub::tears: Thanks for sharing these gifs. 

4dc4ab68ce86676546a51c7d5e8ba920230d7e82

:joy:

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • LOL 14

2 hours ago, taskdramafanatic said:

that is actually a very interesting theory. i always thought the writer literally stole characters from other works and books because all the characters are self aware and stuff, that was my theory in the beginning until they explained they were from the previous work of the writer.

i love kyung and haru interactions even though they are always hostile towards each other. there is a charm about all those scenes

Well it is quite possible that the writer's crisis of imagination is realized on paper in the conflict between Stage and Shadow or between a kdrama plot and stolen, classic characters.  Thinking about that bookshelf with Pride and Prejudice, Romeo and Juliet, Merchant of Venice: what happens if you throw established literary characters with well-developed personalities (and some of their set up like Juliet dying early), like Mr Darcy, Elizabeth Bennett, Lady Catherine deBurgh, Romeo Montague Juliet Capulet, Count Paris, Shylock, and Portia into a Boys Over Flowers script?  They would keep reverting to their original characters and plots.  Further, what if you throw in Juliet and Paris, but leave Romeo out in the cold?  As a writer myself, I could never write Juliet without Romeo.  Of course she'd call him even subconsciously:  Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou?  And of course he'd blast through to find her.

I was imagining just Romeo, but it could be all the self-aware characters.  The writer, in his or her own imagination, is unable to completely control them as characters because he or she did not create them.

I think I convinced myself while writing this!  I like it, whether it's true or not!

And it makes me smile the way they keep talking about how bad the writer is: literary snobs first written by Austen or Shakespeare!

• Like 8

I mean if this scene isn't a perfect image of what their relationship is then I don't know. :wub:

539465c274a1b8237e36780523101981e24c9a50

8dcc89ed9ed88bf55c1ad0e97bbfbeeeef65a1cd

30e9ecc6fdb1c3610a23a1e3170e65f786d0437a

Spoiler

b0ac510418494e0769ee0fb18ae70bc771af4ba1

Credit: kdramaxoxo

@-Love Blossom-

You're welcome! :D Also, how can we find a man like Ha Ru in the real world. Certainly men close to him exist but a man like Ha Ru... impossible. It's manhwa/kdrama fantasy.

• Like 8
  • Love 7

im still curious as to why the book cover of the secret manhwa is literally the same as the charm trumpet creeper haru gave to dan oh, even the writing on it is exactly the same, like what does it mean is it significant to the storyline? KSKSKS i might judt be overthinking but the detail was kinda nice it's like telling them that there are secrets that exist in their world one of them is them being manhwa characters

• Like 8

@nimon

Yeah I mean that could be another hint that everything was planned by the writer actually. It's one thing to have a manhwa called "Secret" with a actual secret inside, like the one @dairymilks talked about, but it's another to have such a intricate ornament which says "Secret" appear on the cover but also in the ornament Ha Ru gave to Dan Oh in "Trumpet Creeper".

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Jillia said:

@nimon

Yeah I mean that could be another hint that everything was planned by the writer actually. It's one thing to have a manhwa called "Secret" with a actual secret inside, like the one @dairymilks talked about, but it's another to have such a intricate ornament which says "Secret" appear on the cover but also in the ornament Ha Ru gave to Dan Oh in "Trumpet Creeper".

To add, could the show have a different meaning for Secret since they didn’t include /the/ webtoon!secrets in the arc? 

As for the flowers, does anyone recall a scene where Ju Da ~interacted~ with the trumpet creeper? Because I can only remember in the recent ep how Dan Oh and Do Hwa were surprised to see her destroy the garden. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 4

if you think about it secrets is starting to really turn into trumpet creeper's parallel, with the main female leads falling for the second leads in the shadow

i think it's safe to assume now that juda has feelings for dohwa and is slowly understanding the difference of stage and shadow due to dohwa (also that scene where namjoo is holding onto juda but juda is looking towards dohwa which lowkey means that her feelings belongs to dohwa) 

i wonder how the plot of secret is bound to change especially since juda would probably want to break from her character (i also thought that nah it wouldn't turn out like trumpet creeper since dohwa was ready to accept his fate and knows it would be juda and namjoo in the end but then again in trumpet creeper too, haru accepted it that they can't be together but dan oh held onto him, would juda also hold onto dohwa? can juda and dohwa be also a key into changing something in the manhwa?) 

• Insightful 14