[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

8 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

I want the wrap party full video. Huhuhu... but thanks to those snippet cuts shared. Oh I love seeing the three are hugging each other. Hope they will get new good project in the future. And i wish that someday somehow they meet again in another drama project together. It's because they're that good I want to see them again soon. 

If only we can see Rowoon and KHY in historical drama :tears: but I don't think so, because I have waited for so long time YeoJinGo and KimYeo Joung in a same drama again but no, :tears: so sad , really good chemistry finding is difficult:tears:  I already worried about Rowoon's next partner :joy::joy: it's a really hard being a mother :joy: me:mother mood :lol: 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

10 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

will miss them!! Danharu ♡

@leeminhosny yup. I like them in TMTETS. Sigh... I hope some saeguk pd plan to take them with their new project. They have proved that they have that charm and skill for it. 

I still stay when Haru said " agassi" :wub:  and Rowoon said he wanted to act historical drama previously , I hope next partner will be good 

Spoiler

• Like 5

I hope the party isnt over yet. Because where's our heart picture. ㅠ.ㅠ 

Also theres like no pictures of Rowoon and Hyeyoon together >,< Alone just the 2 of them. Not 3, with Dohwa. Lol 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

9 minutes ago, egv said:

I hope the party isnt over yet. Because where's our heart picture. ㅠ.ㅠ 

Also theres like no pictures of Rowoon and Hyeyoon together >,< Alone just the 2 of them. Not 3, with Dohwa. Lol 

They did take a selfie together you can see them taking a pic together in one of the wrap up party pictures. Not sure of they are gonna share it. I think I will be okay if they forget to share the heart picture from the clips we did get plenty of interactions. Also the trio's hug tops it all. 

• Like 4

On 11/19/2019 at 5:10 PM, nrllee said:

When I reference HR as otherworldly, this is what I mean.  He’s like the Little Prince.  Naive, childlike, untainted by the world.  So he behaves like someone who is unconventional.  He loves DO just as purely.  Which is why he comes across as an ideal.  He’s totally a person of DO’s imaginings.  Probably why he came to existence in Secret when she named him.  Entirely connected to her now and forever...fated to meet and fall in love.  It’s their story.  BK was always a minor detour.

I’m sorry that this response is rather late,  @nrllee You didn't tag me and I only found it by accident.

But yes, I do think you’re right. You already mentioned your ambivalence regarding Haru on my blog, and I know where you're coming from. But let me clarify some points, okay?

I'll just post an excerpt here because it's too long. The rest will be on my blog, under Rilke's angels. 

https://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/11/22/extra-ordinary-you-on-rilkes-angels

First, re. being otherworldly and the "Little Prince" reference

I understood perfectly what you meant by “otherworldly.” And you’re right, Haru’s similar to the Little Prince, that famous character from that eponymous book by Antoine St-Exupery. His story is an allegory on the dangers of narrow-minded adults and the importance of a pure childlike love.

People who read that book would easily get what you’re alluding to. It’s this:

Just like how the Little Prince unconditionally loved his capricious, whimsical, demanding and vain rose, Haru loves his bubbly, a bit self-centered, whimsical and cut DanOh with the same pure, untainted, I’m-here-wholly-for-you love.

That’s why he didn’t care if he lost his life jumping in that pool.
That’s why he didn’t care that his scar was hurting him everything he changed the scene.
That’s why he didn’t care if he was Kyung’s sidekick.
That’s why he didn’t care if Kyung came at him as he didn’t hurt DanOh.
That’s why he didn’t care what his final scene would be as long as he was there for her.

Moreover, just like the Little Prince was a transient visitor from another planet, Haru too seems to have been transplanted in “Secret.” He travelled to “Secret” in search of DanOh. He wasn’t meant to be an important figure in the story. He was just a nameless #13, somebody who was even lower than an “extra” like DanOh.

But he was there looking for answers, just like the Little Prince was wandering in the desert, looking for answers to a lot of things, when the Narrator/Pilot chanced upon him in the desert.

However, you’ve also pointed out that you found him *too* perfect. I think there’s a reason for that. Let me get to that later....

Second, on the manhwa's structure and reincarnation

I was the one who suggested that the manhwas be interpreted as a reincarnation because, essentially, that’s how reincarnation is: a recycled story. For believers of reincarnation, they’re stuck in this cursed (well, to me, it’s a curse) circular life. They're doomed to repeat the same thing over and over again ad infinitum. People are continually being born into this world (like in the manhwas) without knowledge of having been born before, so they have flashbacks of their hidden pasts.

For this kdrama, the manhwa world is the reincarnation theory in effect. None of the characters can escape the perpetual cycle of birth and rebirth. For instance, Kyung may have a moment of insight and consequent change of heart at the last minute. But when the next manhwa comes, his memory of this moment will have disappeared again, and he’s bound to repeat the same mistake…unless he awakens to the reality of Stage early in the new manhwa or senses a déjà vu (or a memory recall) in the Shadows.

For real world “application,” viewers are right to feel dismayed by this kdrama.

The viewers would have to be extraordinarily vacuous NOT to see the futility of such life that offers no escape for characters, be they major or minor players. And they would have to extraordinarily spineless NOT to feel that the setup is ridiculously cruel, and to wish for something better.

The viewers have a right to feel frustration, exasperation or anger that Haru and DanOh are doomed to this kind of cycle where the lose, find and lose each other again and again…ad nauseum. If the “best situation” for the couple’s happily-ever-after existence is to live a life of anonymity, a life “under the radar” or hidden from the prying eyes of the manhwa writer, then what’s the central message there?

On one hand, the central message can be to live for the moment, to live day by day, to enjoy life as it is. :) In this context, Haru’s answer to DanOh’s question is perfect then. Remember this? From Ep 10.

DanOh: Is this how the writer feels when the writer is looking at us? The writer watches us from above, and we move how we’re drawn and stop when they want to erase.
Haru: We can move even when we’re not drawn in the scenes.
DanOh: Ah. That’s true. What’s your dream?
Haru: Dream?
DanOh: Like your dream job.
Haru: I’m not quite sure. What’s yours?
DanOh: I want to be an ordinary person who can spend an ordinary day like today. I want to do whatever I want. What’s the story ending the writer is drawing right now? I wonder if I’ll be alive until I’m 19.
Haru: You’ll be by my side when you’re 19 and 20, since we’re creating our own story.

lol. I know you must have been dismayed by his answer as I was…because we were expecting him to give a real-world answer like go to college, have a successful career, be a father, travel around the world, win the Nobel Peace prize, and so on. But our real-world answers don’t work in this world of manhwa.

You see, there’s absolutely no point in having ambitions or big dreams when the characters don’t even control their destiny. As Haru pointed out, the focus should just be on taking each day as it comes, and focusing on living well each day with the one person he loves.

On the other hand, the *real-world* message can also be don’t stand out. Whatever you do, don’t stand out and be noticed by “the” writer, or by God, by your boss, by your professor, by your parents, or whoever it is that you consider your Supreme Being. Be content being an ordinary person because you can add on your own “extra” meaning to your life in secret.

Is this kind of life satisfying? Is this the kind of reality you want? The answer depends on each viewer. I know what my answer will be. 

Third, on being perfect and angels

I agree with you when you said that Haru appeared to be an ideal and too perfect. I told you, didn’t I? that I found it odd that Haru didn’t rail against the writer like DanOh did in the beginning and Kyung did in Episode 18.

When DanOh said that the writer must be stupid, he only answered (something like) “so do you think we’re created by stupid writers”? Meaning, if the creator is stupid, then obviously and logically, his creation MUST be stupid because there’s no way an idiot cannot give birth to a genius. (There! I summed up the whole “Intelligent Design” theory of creation.)

Here's the reason why Haru seems to be ideal. It’s the “Duino Elegies” by Rainer Maria Rilke.

Who, if I cried, would hear me among the angelic
Orders? And even if one of them suddenly
pressed me against his heart, I should fade in the strength of his
stronger existence. For Beauty’s nothing
but beginning of Terror we’re still just able to bear,
and why we adore it so is because it serenely
disdains to destroy us. Each single angel is terrible.

Haru is an angel. :)

Throughout the kdrama, there were many forms of angel. You and @Barbrey discussed Squid thoroughly (and I’m sorry I couldn’t join you then because I was marathoning to catch up with you, ladies). I agree with you. He’s the fallen angel, Lucifer.

The other angels were DoHwa. That was so obvious. Jooda kept on calling him her “guardian angel.”

Then, there’s the --

The rest will be here: https://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/11/22/extra-ordinary-you-on-rilkes-angels

VRZEnID.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, mightychimchim said:

the ending might be underwhelming for some but i'm just happy that 

Reveal hidden contents

no one died :joy:

yes there were still unanswered questions about their world and the writer's identity but due to time constraint and filler episodes (cough ep 15 cough), we'll just have to accept their logic :sweatingbullets: 

Hide contents

the most satisfying part for me is, i don't know if you guys noticed but at the end, danoh does not have a name on her locker nor her notebook so i'm pretty sure danoh and haru will continue their love story as nameless characters in the shadow without any pressure from the writer and they can finally do whatever they want and make their own precious memories together. 

Yeah i agree. The way they recognized and remembered their previous story, i think they have the power to do so. There was a scene where SH said if they have strong feelings they will find each other again. Well probably it’s supposed to be a hint, that they can change their fate if they want it.

• Like 3