[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

I had a lot to catch up on, wow, this episode made me an emotional wreck, watched it twice and with and without subs and cried both times. my baby haru, he had to suffer so much. My conclusion is this episode is equivalent to the last minute break scenes of the leads in kdramas, since they can't use a break up plot line with dan oh and haru, because they are star crossed lovers who will always love each other, they had to separate them like this. however i'm glad how this episode turned out. We got see Kim Seokwoo give an incredible performance as the heartbroken haru and i could tell rowoon did his best, you could see his efforts, his acting was perfect.  And I'm happy that 

Spoiler

dan oh has gotten her memories back. Let's hope for a happy ending for danharu, they deserve it after going through so much.

I hope we get a lot of rowoon scenes in the next episode too, can't wait till tomorrow,

• Like 7

Screenshot-2019-11-21-01-22-04-897-com-a Even though the whole episode was sad this was the scene which made me teary eyed especially when Dan Oh says "Dan Oh of Trumpet Flower forgives you" and Baek Kyung gave that big smile of relief. It felt like a huge burden was removed off from his shoulder and he could finally breath now. He was extremely thankful to her for forgiving him. I could really feel his emotions. Lee Jae Wook is no doubt an amazing actor. I also hate Baek Kyung a lot but I couldn't hate him in this episode. That boy was genuinely smiling on those date stages. I was wondering how different things would have been if he had appreciated Dan Oh a little earlier. Today he was not even confident like always when he was arguing with Haru and whenever he was with Dan Oh he looked guilty. Of course none of this justify his past mistakes but I didn't dislike him today. Seems like we won't get much Baek Kyung tomorrow.

Did Dan Oh and Baek Kyung became the new leads of Secret. They had more scenes than Nam Joo and Joo Da :lol: I can't blame Joo Da for not choosing Dowha. Even though Dowha is an ideal man it is not easy to be with him especially now when the story is ending. On top of that her life is already pitiful so it's natural for her to want happy ending. Nam Joo is not a perfect man but doesn't seem bad too. He is a typical tsundra guy so yeah he is soft inside :lol:But still poor Dowha :tears:

I thought we will get another kiss scene when she remembered everything and I was thinking on my mind that why their kiss scenes are always so sad. But it didn't happen. I don't know whether I am sad or happy. Maybe it's better a happy kiss scene is needed. I hope the writer doesn't betray us. Since they are high school students one is enough. NOOO Two is compulsory :wub:

I think it was @Jillia who made the prediction that the tree will have something to do with their reunion. So congrats. B) 

• Like 9

I loved episode 15 a lot. I wouldn't say it was sad but it was beautifully sad. I was tearing up during the whole danharu conversation under the tree. They really love each other a lot so please writer-nim give us a happy last episode not just last 5min reunion. We deserve it. DanHaru deserve it. Let's not be cruel like secret writer okay? 

Also Dan oh Baek Kyung conversation moved me a lot especially when Dan Oh said I hope you find the real Baek Kyung. I think he needed to hear that after all even he has been through his own share of pain and sadness. As for his redemption like @Jillia mentioned wish they started it few episodes earlier than the second last episode. I wouldn't say his past behavior and actions can be forgiven based on his part in DanHaru reunion but I know I won't feel disgusted by him like I felt before. So good luck to secret Kyung hope you are given a better character in your next manwha by the writer. 

Can't believe it's the last episode tomorrow. Finally the Extraordinary you journey will come to an end tomorrow. Hope they end it well because this is definitely the drama I would love to rewatch in future because I'm so attached to the storyline and characters especially DanHaru:wub:

• Like 7

@Jillia, I understand what you mean about 

Spoiler

the redemption. Technically he repented (changed his mind) by letting go of his selfish desire to keep soul-less Danoh by his side. What I took issue with is Danoh minimizing his actions in the shadow as just “cranky”. Writers always make their female leads gloss over these types of flaws probably to portray them as magnanimous. *roll eyes* I don’t know what’s so hard about them being honest by saying “yes, you did wrong but I forgive you.” That’s so much better than pretending the actions of the person who did wrong suddenly don’t matter. I see it all the time in drama shows and manga comics. 

• Like 8

@Jillia I don't think Baek Kyung's

redemption arc was weak. I mean he killed her what more is needed. But yes if he hadn't killed her in TC then he might have been possessive and obsessive still. He wouldn't have regretted killing her in shadows. Even though he put her oxygen mask back but I still think memories of TC played a huge part here.

When Dan Oh was at the library and was looking at her watch she felt like she was missing something. I was waiting for another full parallel scene there with them laughing again. And when she said Haru in front of Baek Kyung and didn't even realise her mistake :lol: See Baek Kyung you can erase Haru from her mind but not from her heart. Dan Oh was always Haru's beginning both in TC and Secret. Because of her he became self aware and found himself. But this time Haru was Dan Oh's beginning. Because of his love she became self aware.:wub: 

• Like 4

Ironically, this episode left me Team HR on stage, but Team BK in the shadow.  I only wept in this parting scene of BK and DO...in spoiler below.

Spoiler

Ironically this is the scene that I wept. DO returns the ring to BK (in the shadow) apologetically. He scoffs as he takes it.
BK (whispers almost inaudibly :tears:) – Go.
DO hesitates and looks visibly upset knowing how much this would hurt him.
BK (repeats) – just go.
DO stands her ground.
BK (stands up from his chair, approaches her and says with a pained look on his face) – Back then and even now, I’m like a Monster to you.
(DO turns to walk away. She pauses and turns back and then says in tears)
DO – at least for the Eun DanOh of Secret, you weren’t like that. We were 2 characters who existed only for the sake of the main characters. You were Baek Kyung of A3, the wounded and mean guy, and I’m a terminally ill girl who had a crush on you. They were cliches. But we’re the only ones who knew how cruel and sad this is. We’re just these characters that the writer created, but we’re just DO and BK before our characters. BK, that’s why the Eun DanOh of Secret wants to thank you. The Eun DanOh of TF forgives you. These are only characters the writer created.
(She extends her hand to him... LJW’s face said it all…the build up of emotions as she speaks to him, culminating in a crescendo as the floodgates open- it was beautifully done…the PD obviously knew he could emote, the camera pans in on his expressions right through her speech)
DO – I hope you can become the real BK just like how I found the real me.
(He takes her extended hand of reconciliation and smiles through his tears…ah bittersweet but O so good). Arguably the BEST scene in the episode.

Further thoughts

Spoiler

BK was the selfless one this episode.  Finally giving her up and standing aside for HR to take his place.  It’s all about choices.  He chose right this episode.  He chose NOT to kiss her...even though he could’ve and she wouldn’t have known better (she expected it really :lol:).  Gallant and noble.  Bravo.

@Jillia DanOh thanks BK because he let her go.  He could’ve kept her but he gave up his spot for HR to spend his last moments with her.  She noted that it was BK who replied to her text but HR showed up so she put 2 and 2 together.  That’s why she thanked him.  She understood how much it cost him.  As for your expose about redemption...if you look carefully at the scene above...it has all the salient points.  Acknowledgement (I am a monster).  He didn’t even ask for forgiveness (which means he didn’t expect to get it, he didn’t think he deserved to get it because of how much he has wronged her), DO offers it to him of her own volition.  And with her hand of reconciliation, he takes it as he weeps.  True repentance.  

As for those who say his redemption arc is weak, well, it’s all about changes isn’t it?  It matters little where you have come from but eventually if that epiphany happens, it’s a turning point nonetheless.  And this all came about from his own self reflection so he worked it out himself and internalized it.  It’s a shift in the right direction.  Just because someone is nasty and narcissistic suddenly decides to make a change, do we knock them down and say, “not good enough.  You were so bad, you need to do so much good now to make up for it so until you do that, you’re still bad.”  Or do we say, “good job.  Keep going.”  Redemption is a process.  It takes a long time to unlearn bad habits and thought processes.  The journey of 1000 miles begins with one step.  The path to redemption is the same.  DO even forgave BK of TC...that’s the right response.  I applaud her for that.  Our world would be a better place if we would offer encouragement to those trying to change rather than shutting them down at every opportunity because we see them as irredeemable.  So yes, for some they say “too little too late” in the context of the drama, but just as this drama is about moving onto another comic and another, the BK of the next comic would be a slightly better man.  With each iteration he’s better.  The reincarnation trope.  But even DO acknowledges that it’s a process.  She wished that BK would one day find the real BK.  It’s one of growth.  Does he have a long way to go?  Yes.  Baby steps.  But definitely baby steps in the right direction.  Any other actor I would probably have just said, “whatever” but LJW was stellar in his performance and moved me.  The camera loves him.  I look forward to his future works.

• Like 5

@Jillia, some wrongs 

Spoiler

don’t affect some viewers as strongly. There were always the viewers who probably dismissed his actions as “he’s starved for affection, he’s misunderstood, he’s a tortured/tormented soul, he means no harm, he’s prickly on the outside but soft on the inside, etc”. I’m just drawing from generic excuses for many characters like Kyung that I have seen across various story media. Then there are the viewers who will forget everything with a few tears from the character. It really depends on how much the wrong actions of the character influenced the viewer as well as how easily the viewer is moved by or forgives a character. In a way it’s a blessing to not be so strongly attached to the wrongs done by the character because the resolution is almost always unsatisfactory.

Unfortunately I have a very strong sense of justice so it’s not easy for me to let things slide. However when a character I dislike is given a genuine redemption arc, sincerely acknowledging their wrongs, my heart is usually completely sold on them.  :sweatingbullets: It’s from one extreme to the other extreme. lol The biggest problems (re: in the shadow) I had with Kyung were his feelings of superiority, possessiveness, violence, threats and anger. It’s nice that he finally acted against his self interest and even shed tears because Danoh showed him “grace and forgiveness” which he kind of acted like he didn’t deserve (at least he seemed to recognize that much particularly knowing what he almost did to her). That at least showed a good “start” of redemption for him, objectively speaking. Apologizing would have “ moved me” but since there wasn’t any, my heart wasn’t moved and my eyes were quite dry. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jillia said:

So I'm gonna say this:

Hide contents

I enjoyed the episode very much. It was painful and difficult to watch but I rather have a drama and episode which moves me than something that I don't care about. The editing was weirdly better than it was in the last week's episode. I've seen a lot worse for a drama which has to film the last scene doing live shooting. I can only imagine the editor being awake all night to edit the last episode. Let's hope he gets some days worth of sleep afterwards.

And after watching the preview yesterday I honestly was worried this would be a Kyung/Dan Oh centric episode. And it certainly had exactly the scenes in it we expected from the preview, so basically let's show the viewer what they barely care about and show the real deal in the episode itself.

In the end it was actually the most perfect DanHaRu episode. Painful but thoughtful as well. Completely showing that no matter what the writer has planned for them, if he/she goes against them or not they will find a way to meet and remember again. The parallel scenes were so amazing. I was honestly sobbing and I'm not kidding. I was crying throughout the episode. Ha Ru not giving up while Dan Oh is confused most of the time. And then in the end getting back her memories, not only from "Secret" but "Trumpet Creeper" as well. Like it's what I wished for because she was basically the only one not knowing for sure what was going on.

Kyung certainly played a part in the DanHaRu reunion, it was his "redemption" part so to speak. I will buy it in how they're selling it but I will say though - and some might disagree - I thought of it as a weak redemption arc (not the worst but certainly not the most deserving). Big part is that I don't see it as character development when a terrible person stops for one episode not to drag around the object of his desire or stops telling her her feelings don't matter. 1 1/2 episode isn't enough to make Kyung deserving of redemption. I think to make me really feel for him they should've started his redemption around episode 10 or 11 ago. Maybe then I would care enough for him. Lee Jae Wook however really did a good job again. Like give that man a role in a cute romcom and make me see him as the cute guy he seems to be behind the scenes.

Anyways, overall I thought it was a good episode which has me worried though what's gonna happen tomorrow. Why does "Secret" disappear? Because the manhwa ends? Does this really mean we will get a new manhwa? Do Dan Oh and Ha Ru need to sit through the writer's unoriginal trope-y writing? Will Sae Mi finally stop being a bully on stage? Will Do Hwa finally get the girl (Boy, there is a line in this thread waiting for you :lol:)?  Can we have Jinmichae and Soo Hyang back in a sageuk manhwa, I feel like they belong there? Will Nam Joo stop being the cheesy male lead? And will Kyung get a better family in a different manhwa?

Writer-nim, you better make it all good or else:

@Jillia Wow! I was thinking along the same lines as you.  I just finished watching the subbed episodes.

Spoiler

These two episodes were so compelling.  The storyline was interesting and showed a lot of depth in its development.  We are finally seeing a Kyung that we were hoping for.  One who truly felt remorse and in the end wanted what was best for Dan-Oh.  What greater love could he shown than to give her up to who she was truly meant to love.  I thought her forgiveness to Kyung was so moving and it did in fact draw a tear.

Soo Hyang's character was such a strong presence in the episode.  I almost got the impression that the write placed her into the story to help fix the many issues that were happening in the shadow.  Her words to Dan-Oh and Jinmichae were almost exactly what they needed to hear.

Ha-Ru did not fail to impress.  Despite all the heartache, he was patient and did not try to force the issue but let Dan-Oh start to become aware as she needed.  I was truly hoping that Kyung and Ha-Ru in the end would work together as a team to help Dan-Oh.  That they did in aces.

Overall, I thought these were two of the strongest episodes in the series, which I normally don't find to be the case in other series.  I am very much looking forward to tomorrow's finale.

• Like 6

I think they did as much as possible to wrap things up to be honest...Baek Kyung's story could have made more impact if they hadn't lumped it all in the episode...webtoon did it better...But I still liked it...Dan Oh and Baek Kyung have history as friends who grew up together and lost people close to them while growing up...does that excuse Kyung's off screen/shadow behavior...in my eyes, No.....but Do I get where Dan Oh is coming from...yes....even if those memories were writers storyboard in action...their characters lived those...so I get why she still has warmth left in her when it comes to him, and could forgive and thank him. Juda and Doe Hwa too....It was a good way to end...trumpet Creeper needed more scenes though. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

It’s a testament to LJW and his portrayal of BK that so many were moved to tears in that farewell scene.  :wub:  Bittersweet.  A beautiful goodbye.  Well done LJW.  Well done.  Sleep now and reawaken to a better BK in the next comic.  Or next drama.  :lol:.  Tonight beckons and I am sure our OTP (HR/DO) will appear in  new comic and find each other again.  Surely they have proven their worth to the writer and he/she will give them a straightforward love line together without the angst.

• Love 1

@Jillia, I think Joo Da just took the practical approach. Considering her life experience she probably just went with the failsafe ending where her happiness is guaranteed. I think Do Hwa’s temperament would help him to suffer less and with time move on. I just honestly wished that he hadn’t fallen for Joo Da in the shadow as well because I was 99% sure Joo Da would still end up with Nam Joo.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 2

Just watched some parts of the episode.

Going to say the "main" story of secret will be finished just like that. Very abrupt but understandable. Nam Joo is still stuck unaware, while understandable that Joo Da chose NJ than DH.

I find it very un-original and cliche (which is I think the intention of the writer) when NJ's mother appeared at  the school and being circle around by the students and by NJ fashion made a declaration.

Spoiler

So "Secret" is ending. That's why a student is missing and at the end of the episode the art room "disappeared"

Also It's a nice revelation that all of the characters in the manhwa are really in hand of the writer. They only have freewill (if they awoke)They go to hibernation mode until drawn again (after the writer finishes the story).

I agree with @Jillia that Kyung redemption is really just cramped in this episode. I was hoping it started a bit earlier.

For the main story I'm going to comment again in a different post together with my comment on the last episode.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

@celebrianna

I mean I get it most definitely. She had two options: go with the storyline and like Nam Joo OR live two lives so to speak (being with Nam Joo on stage and being with Do Hwa in the shadow). I think in the end it was just not well-written? They pushed Nam Joo in this pitiful role to make him look equal to Joo Da which is a terrible approach to make Joo Da "like" him.

In the end I can see it was fair of her to tell Do Hwa the truth, so he can move on as well and find someone (or let the writer draw a girl) who is meant for him and makes him happy.

Maybe I just hoped for more fight in Joo Da. Plus the transition from last episode to this episode felt a bit abrupt. But that's probably because of the filming schedule and editing. :)

Funny thing is, they will all just go into a limbo once it all ends so I don't know why Juda chose it that way....thete's no 'They lived happily ever after' in this setup which is cruel to every single one of them.

• Like 3

Watched the episode again and I was mistaken.

Spoiler

The bullies were still around when news of Oh Nam Ju being an illegitimate child broke out. And I can vaguely recall them being on the set filming for the graduation scene. So, they're still around. 

As for Juda and Dohwa, I'm sad that they chose to be friends. The scene in the hallway felt bittersweet, but I'm glad they remained friends despite Juda's decision.

I think the drama also meant to show another side to self-awareness. Changing one's fate is a choice and takes a huge leap of faith. Dan Oh, Haru, JMC, Soo Hyang, and Do Hwa all wanted to change their setup. Juda, meanwhile, chose to go down the path of security and stability, as far as the manhwa is concerned. For a high school student who had gone through so much, from bullying to poverty, I quite understand that she prioritized herself and her welfare. Juda didn't choose to be poor, to work part-time to make ends meet, and to be verbally abused by peers and an estranged ahjumma. She didn't want to go through another round of suffering and risk her happiness. So to her, being able to choose was a luxury in itself. At least that's how I interpreted it. Quite a refreshing take, in my opinion. :sweatingbullets:

I recall a few weeks ago when we noticed Juda being self-aware, we were a bit nervous that she'd want to keep the spotlight on her and would lead to another obstacle for DO and HR. In the end, she didn't do anything about it.

• Like 8