[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

What is definitely the best line of Episode 27, if not the whole series so far:

Spoiler

As Dan-Oh and Ha-ru attempt to complete her bucket list, and they go out on a romantic picnic to the park,  Sae-Mi and Soo-Chul show up.  An obviously disappointed Dan-Oh asked, "Why are they here?"  To which a delighted Ha-Ru replies, "I called them."  Dan-Oh's crestfallen response, "Ha-Ru, you're an idiot."  I think she was imagining some serious lip action with Ha-Ru at the park.   :lol:

• LOL 8

LMFAo at Do Hwa's Why did the writer cast such a handsome face for an extra?! It's too inconvenient! :w00t:

Now Haru & Kyung are experiencing what the Dried Squid guy tried hard to warn them against.. While ignorance is bliss, the characters live on as puppets with no will of their own.. It's all quite tragic.. :(

Kyung really did want to save Dan Oh but he knew it was pointless anyway, somethin' Haru found out the hard way. -_-

Say what you want on Kyung but he's the most compelling character here and it's thanks to Lee Jae Wook for playin' him with conviction. He's a rising star.

• Like 2

Ye, I feel for Kyung.

The writers did him dirty, well this is life, what did i expect the second main leads never get the girl in the end (except for reply 1988, which was the only one time I rooted for the main lead yet he still lost). I'll support Kyung in whatever decisions he plans on making in the last two episodes. But lord help the writer if they decide to kill him off :)

Edited by Ciiderella
  • Like 2

@Jillia  Oooo!...the back theory is a really good one.  How do you think they would work that into the plot?  I did not notice that she was not wearing her wrist alert.  I just went back and watched the scene.  To be fair, I could not really tell because she was wearing a long sleeve shirt and the school jacket.  If that is the case, then that blows one of the two options that I was thinking would reignite her memory  It seems like it would always go off when Ha-Ru was around, but she would not feel any chest pain.

My main go to item I think might bring Ha-Ru's Dan-Oh back is the trumpet creeper ornament and tassel (Norigae?).  It is definitely something that she seemed to cherish since even when her life was endangered in Trumpet Creeper, she went back for it when she dropped it during the chase.  It also exists in the current world as well, although heavily worn.

In any event would love to read everyone's thoughts.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

I have mixed feelings. I honestly dont like seeing DO losing her awareness. To me this trope makes it seems like the drama writers lack creativity that they use the same cycle. But on the other hand i can understand that this can lead to character development

(1) just like @Jillia said BK redemption when he realizes that the new DO is not what he wants

(2) HR realizes that what matters most is he and DO cherishing every moment and spend their remaining time together. He's been trapped in this guilt and fear of losing DO that he's so occupied in changing her fate, he even starts to avoid DO due to his confusion of what he should and shouldn't do for DO not to die. He doesnt realize by doing so he's wasted his precious limited time with DO.

Spoiler

Why is it limited? Because i still believe DO will get the surgery and die. In the webtoon at first they thought DO is save because she's supposed to not appear in volume 5 of the secret comic but then volume 5 starts and she's still there alive. But HR finds out later that the comic changes and actually volume 4 (when DO dies) is just about to start. I bet the same thing will happen.

And in DO's medical record it is written that the date of surgery is nov 20 which is next wednesday, is it clue that DO will still get her surgery in next week episode? I dont know. It can be me being overthinking again because DH says JD's grandma surgery date is supposed to be DO's and her grandma has finished and survived the surgery.

On a side note i come to notice this signature move by LJW when he wants to emphasize certain part of the dialogue. He'll slightly tilt (is this the right word) his head to the right. Lots of actors do that but somehow the way LJW does it catch my attention. It happens wayyyy too often that i start to guess which part or when will he tilt his head again everytime he appears on screen. :D Anywayss i agree that he's good promising actor. But i'll give a no to BK character.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 5

43 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

Seriously, what should I do with my swollen eyes now! My stages will begin in an hour. Sighh.... why they make me cry so much!!! 

So the writer switched DO's healthy shadow to stage. What was that??? Does what JMC said truly happen??? What happens before the next scenes changed to amnesiac DO??? Did she die on the shadow or what?? Writer don't tell me you'd take her self-awareness this time?? 

If the Trumpet Creeper supposed to be a tragic ending like that, this secret world should be their chances to live a happier one writer! 

Two eps left for next week. Sighh.. I don't like it to end this soon. I need to calm myself and would write when I get better later. 

Last but not least, Their acting is superb!! It's so heartbreaking!! 

My theory, she was supposed to flatline on stage and then be resuscitated and become healthy....since they changed the stage..  the same thing happened on shadow with a possible time jump...that is why the pages were left empty....since it happened in shadow, she lost her awareness obviously....the way the world works so far from my understanding...you can't cheat your storyboard no matter how hard you try....it'll happen either way

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

DO died in the shadow (that’s why the weird backwards timer).  And as Squid said, if a character dies in the shadow, they get rebooted in the stage (but their memories are wiped clean).  If you die on the stage, that’s it for you...end of story.  In the stage she is completely better (that’s what the comic Secret said).  No more heart problems. That’s how it played out in the comic so far.  So she’s back on track now to be BK’s fiancé and marry him some time later.  The proposal scene which was supposed to happen before happened in the park instead for BK and DO.  Everything is still going as planned by the writer.  

BK didn’t kill her.  He removed her O2 mask but he put it back on (when HR ran in, the mask was back on her).  She flatlined then.

I don’t think BK killed Squid’s lover in TF.  It doesn’t make sense for him to.  He wanted the throne.  If Squid was going to abdicate with his lover, all the better for BK.  Why force him to stay put as Crown Prince?  I think DaeBi (NJ’s mother) was the one who ordered the assassination both times...shadow and stage.

As an aside, Squid’s lover (the new girl) was reading a book with a pink cover at the lockers...it looks like it’s TF :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Insightful 1

This is just some fun and werid theory from me.

Maybe the manhwa trumpeet is supposed to have a happy ending. In there baek kyung is evil but a main character as the hero right? Like namjoo. So my guest in the manhwa because of their changing the story line..the manhwa beome tragic. Becausr of dan oh fall in love with the 2nd lead in shadow, the dynamic of the manhwa changes.

So the writer try to make another manhwa based on his/her orignal idea in trumpeet but different setting. Maybe that is why all the warning why they shouldnt changes the story. They may have a happy ending in stage but they may not like it in shadow

Spoiler

And why i feel like baek kyung will die in shadow?  Just like do hwa caharacter in the mahwa.. i hope not

And just some random theory for me. The writer idea is fate for them. So the drama is talking about how they go against the fate..

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

47 minutes ago, nrllee said:

DO died in the shadow (that’s why the weird backwards timer).  And as Squid said, if a character dies in the shadow, they get rebooted in the stage (but their memories are wiped clean).  If you die on the stage, that’s it for you...end of story.  In the stage she is completely better (that’s what the comic Secret said).  No more heart problems. That’s how it played out in the comic so far.  So she’s back on track now to be BK’s fiancé and marry him some time later.  The proposal scene which was supposed to happen before happened in the park instead for BK and DO.  Everything is still going as planned by the writer.  

BK didn’t kill her.  He removed her O2 mask but he put it back on (when HR ran in, the mask was back on her).  She flatlined then.

I don’t think BK killed Squid’s lover in TF.  It doesn’t make sense for him to.  He wanted the throne.  If Squid was going to abdicate with his lover, all the better for BK.  Why force him to stay put as Crown Prince?  I think DaeBi (NJ’s mother) was the one who ordered the assassination both times...shadow and stage.

As an aside, Squid’s lover (the new girl) was reading a book with a pink cover at the lockers...it looks like it’s TF :lol:

I thought BK put the mask back on so no one would suspect him of killing DO if someone comes into the room...? Lol that’s how I understood it. 

By the time DO had the mask again, it was already too late for her to recover from the loss of oxygen when the mask was removed. Hence, she flatlined??? Wild guess :sweatingbullets:

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

42 minutes ago, dairymilks said:

I thought BK put the mask back on so no one would suspect him of killing DO if someone comes into the room...? Lol that’s how I understood it. 

By the time DO had the mask again, it was already too late for her to recover from the loss of oxygen when the mask was removed. Hence, she flatlined??? Wild guess :sweatingbullets:

Nah she was stable when HR came into the room.  He was talking to her (she was stable) for quite a bit before the alarms started to ring so it’s debatable if BK killed her.  That wasn’t my line of thinking.  BK thought to do it...but in the last scene before he walks out into the hospital corridor his hand moves to put the mask back on.  He couldn’t go through with it.  And even during that whole time when her mask was off, none of the alarms went off so she was still “stable”.  

As for whether BK killed her in the shadow when she was running away with HR in the forest?  It looked like he was hunting them down...he was following them and he drew his sword.  But the next stage scene we see DO running from guards and then the courtyard scene.  Here’s the thing, she’s still aware in that stage scene.  She’s wondering where is HR? He needs to save me!  This means BK didn’t kill her in the shadow (when they were running in the forest).  Had he killed her, she would’ve had her memories wiped in the stage scene in the courtyard (like Squid’s lover after she was killed in the forest and she couldn’t remember him anymore in the stage/shadow).  

I get the feeling BK is not the selfish man he’s being sold to us.  This episode has given me hope - thanks to LJW’s acting. This could be the Secret. 

The courtyard scene. This is interesting. Just because of how it played out. DO is apprehended. BK’s father orders her to be killed (NOT BK). The Guards move in to obey, HR comes out to her defence. BK then appears and yells, “stop”. Why do that? Why not just let the Guards kill them both? Is HR’s life so important to him that he would want him back by his side? He orders HR to kill DO (he refused by the way) and it was BK who pushed the sword into DO as HR held it. Again curse you LJW, was that a hint of remorse/hurt I see in your eye at the end of that scene as you removed your hand off the hilt? Did she die? Or was she just stabbed and would recover later? Was BK actually “aware” in TF? Did he yell “stop” and this was his rather convoluted way to get the pair of them out of “danger” and let them move on to a happy ever after? Or maybe he was this sadistic narcissistic self through and through? 

Who killed Squid’s lover? On first watch it looked like BK…but both instances, it was an assassin who did it… first in the forest, and then in the Stage. In one scene, BK walks in on Squid embracing his lover (who can’t remember him). He tells Squid not to leave his throne. Next scene is when Squid walks into a room and finds that she’s already dead, the assassin stands with bleeding sword over her motionless body. BK walks in only after. The assassin bows and walks out. BK then says, “You should feel the pain of losing your beloved. You’re next”. I am not convinced BK ordered the killing. Why would he? He’s better off with Squid out of the picture? He wants the throne. He’s better off if Squid runs away with his lover? Who would kill Squid’s lover then? It would be DaeBi. She doesn’t want him to abdicate. Killing off his lover and reason for leaving would ensure he stays in his place.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Nah she was stable when HR came into the room.  He was talking to her (she was stable) for quite a bit before the alarms started to ring so it’s debatable if BK killed her.  That wasn’t my line of thinking.  BK thought to do it...but in the last scene before he walks out into the hospital corridor his hand moves to put the mask back on.  He couldn’t go through with it.  And even during that whole time when her mask was off, none of the alarms went off so she was still “stable”.  

As for whether BK killed her in the shadow when she was running away with HR in the forest?  It looked like he was hunting them down...he was following them and he drew his sword.  But the next stage scene we see DO running from guards and then the courtyard scene.  Here’s the thing, she’s still aware in that stage scene.  She’s wondering where is HR? He needs to save me!  This means BK didn’t kill her in the shadow (when they were running in the forest).  Had he killed her, she would’ve had her memories wiped in the stage scene in the courtyard (like Squid’s lover after she was killed in the forest and she couldn’t remember him anymore in the stage/shadow).  

I get the feeling BK is not the selfish man he’s being sold to us.  This episode has given me hope - thanks to LJW’s acting. This could be the Secret. 

The courtyard scene. This is interesting. Just because of how it played out. DO is apprehended. BK’s father orders her to be killed (NOT BK). The Guards move in to obey, HR comes out to her defence. BK then appears and yells, “stop”. Why do that? Why not just let the Guards kill them both? Is HR’s life so important to him that he would want him back by his side? He orders HR to kill DO (he refused by the way) and it was BK who pushed the sword into DO as HR held it. Again curse you LJW, was that a hint of remorse/hurt I see in your eye at the end of that scene as you removed your hand off the hilt? Did she die? Or was she just stabbed and would recover later? Was BK actually “aware” in TF? Did he yell “stop” and this was his rather convoluted way to get the pair of them out of “danger” and let them move on to a happy ever after? Or maybe he was this sadistic narcissistic self through and through? 

Who killed Squid’s lover? On first watch it looked like BK…but both instances, it was an assassin who did it… first in the forest, and then in the Stage. In one scene, BK walks in on Squid embracing his lover (who can’t remember him). He tells Squid not to leave his throne. Next scene is when Squid walks into a room and finds that she’s already dead, the assassin stands with bleeding sword over her motionless body. BK walks in only after. The assassin bows and walks out. BK then says, “You should feel the pain of losing your beloved. You’re next”. I am not convinced BK ordered the killing. Why would he? He’s better off with Squid out of the picture? He wants the throne. He’s better off if Squid runs away with his lover? Who would kill Squid’s lover then? It would be DaeBi. She doesn’t want him to abdicate. Killing off his lover and reason for leaving would ensure he stays in his place.

It was only a few minutes before HR came in after BK took it off and put it back. How do oxygen masks work? Does the person die immediately after you take them off or...? 

IIRC, BK was never able to catch up to them when he was chasing them in the forest. While DO and HR were running, the flip sound happened and HR was alone and cornered by the guards. 

This is just me, but even though we can see through a person’s eyes and try to go deep into the character’s life, I will still take BK’s actions for what they are. He’s a man afraid of losing and he had such a sad & empty life; an indifferent family, a cruel father, & a woman who doesn’t love him back. If the manhwa stays put and HR won’t intervene, maybe BK hopes that he can have a happy life with DO. He will do what he can to remain hopeful, even at the cost of DO’s life. 

Of all the romcom dramas I’ve seen, BK has probably been the most cruel antagonist I’ve witnessed. For a romcom/fantasy, he takes such drastic measures to get the girl.

We don’t know yet who ordered SH’s killing, it indeed could be the Queen Mother, because we haven’t seen BK plotting the murder. I’m actually curious how they will explain everything next week. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

In my opinion BK has been the epitome of selfish even without adding murder into the mix. Even if he didn’t kill Danoh in either manhwa stories, all his actions up until now has been self-centered. There’s no way he’s been faking it unless somebody jumps out and say, “Surprise! You’re on Candid Camera”.

@stroppyse, I often wonder if LJW got the role of BK because of his character in the soap opera drama in Search:WWW that the female lead who was his love interest used to watch like a drug. :lol:

• Like 8
  • LOL 2