[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

23 minutes ago, Mau_Cherry said:

What a bad writer / creator...

same faces - okay I can live with that. I knew it from a few Mangas I read - there is extremly this one writer I really like her stories but for some reason her leads looks always the same - and a few other people too.

But same names? Hello - be creative writer...

same lines....  I am lost now...

I think that is the recurring punch line that some characters who can be much more that what they are forced to be are limited by an unimaginative, bad writer. Dan Oh, Haru, Do Hwa, Ju Da, Sae Mi...all of them have uniqueness to them that the writer won't flourish or explore....be it in a good way or bad way....only Kyung seems to have a one track thought process which is being a boiling pot of anger and destruction....I am guessing that was part of his initial characterization hence he can't break free even in Shadow....Dan Oh, Haru are also retaining their characteristics from original Manhwa....Mi Chae has been in maximum Manhwa's hence he knows it and wishes to forget it all so that he does not have to witness the same tragedy being repeated again and again. Its very meta....I mean aren't most romance shows like that in reality....recycling the same setup simply because audiences lap it up.

• Like 11
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It doesn't matter if the manhwa world is real or not. The characters are the ones who turn their world into reality.   In this drama it seems that on the one hand the real writer is using D

I think HR killed DO but it was not deliberate and he grabbed the sword with his left hand to stop it but it was too late. But the scene doesn’t look like a sword fight. It starts off with guards surr

@Calligrapher I like how you are thinking.  The only thing I might add is that maybe Trumpet Keeper is not their first Manhwa together.  Perhaps this is their 4th or even 5th iteration of their characters.  If that so, it speaks to some degree about the eternity of love and how despite the many changes that are thrown at us, love is the one constant that never changes.  I think Ha-Ru expressed it best when Dan-Oh was lamenting how his saving her life in the pool led to his oblivion.  His response was that even if it meant losing himself thousands or hundreds of times, he would do it again.  Maybe he was not just speaking figuratively.  Maybe he has been cast into oblivion many times but his love for Dan-Oh keeps bringing him back.  I must be getting tired if I just wrote something this cheesy.  :sleeping:

• Like 9
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2

It’s all true! Look at the angle at which he is clutching the blade - it’s Haru’s right hand that’s holding the sword while he is desperately trying to stop it. And that look of absolute agony and utter despair on his face! He feels pain, terrible pain. Once he learns the full truth about what really happened it’s going to tear him apart!

8ec3e8a21675f2b0d1ee3b81b614a67ac08e00a2.png

BUT A FACT: We know that when people appear on the stage they can’t move even an inch but HARU ACTUALLY MANAGED TO GET FREE AND RESIST THE WRITER FOR A TIME BY POWER OF SHEER WILL AND HIS LOVE FOR DAN OH! That’s extra AF and damn epic! He might get to see the scar as something that marks him as a terrible person but it’s a proof of his defiance in the face of fate even if he ended up defeated.

37202ecb41482a2e8b708efc9c66e85fd99d546a.png

• Like 11
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 2

@Calligrapher i like and have similar thought too!.

Poor baek kyung, he destined to never get the girl's heartin the past or the present

Based on the preview, it seems that the three of them are close in sageuk manhwa. There are pic of three of them.

Cant wait for today episode.

• Like 8

Instead of talking about HaruxDanoh like I always do (y'all already doing a great job with your posts)

I'll just drop quickly to confess that I love I love I love DoHwa beyond words.

The guy is so precious I want to cry! Also he thicc *chefskiss*

• Like 9
  • Love 1

I’m so glad Haru is no longer taking any of BK’s crap. That guy has real anger issues and he needs to fix his attitude just like Haru pointed out and later Danoh pointed out. It’s quite obvious he looks down on Haru both through his words and actions. He better be thankful for the stage because that’s the only powerful advantage he has over Haru thanks to the unimaginative writer. It’s also clear that he had anger issues back in the goryeo period. He was kicking down stuff in that final scene when goryeo Haru decided to sever their bond. Even in that period his words conveyed that he looked down on Haru who seem to not know his origin. Maybe BK has abandonment issues. 

Jinmichae said their (Danoh, Haru, BK) story in Trumpet Creeper ended in tragedy. That seems to imply that the drama might stick with the story that

Spoiler

the manhwa writer forced Haru to kill Danoh and after that he began his quest to find her and protect her no matter if it cost his life.

Anybody else was laughing at the music teacher’s outfit? He certainly likes to dress in the spirit of the lesson he would be teaching that day. :lol: 

OTP scenes and development were so good in today’s episodes. Loved all of them including the sad but beautiful moments in the beginning of the episode.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Could it be DO and HR’s lines in sageuk were not coming from the writer, but coming from themselves on the shadow. Then DO and HR in the modern era unintentionally repeat those lines since they’re also beginning to fall in love like in sageuk era. So probably they still fall in love in the shadow regardless what comic or what characterization the writer wrote for them. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 5

Ahh...guessed right about recycled characters and their lingering memories.  :)

Other thoughts to add

- the dynamic in Kyung’s household.  Possible scenario - his mother is the Queen, if so then he is the Crown Prince (or first wife of a nobleman).  She dies. His father (King) remarries and the second wife has a son (Kyung’s brother).  Kyung is left to fend for himself and feels desperately unappreciated.  Kyung’s brother (second in line) is trying to keep the family together amid Kyung’s acts of rage directed at his father.  Something to that effect.  Kyung is betrothed to DanOh.  Alliance maybe?  He doesn’t exactly love her but just plays along because it’s a marriage of convenience.

- JooDa is definitely self aware.  I am not sure where she sits in the Flower comic.

- Squid Fairy is a character that is recycled over and over and each time, he’s the first to become self aware and watches everything unfold.  That’s why he seems so cynical.  He’s probably saying to himself, “same old, same old, nothing changes”.  He probably burnt the book because he doesn’t want any of the others to find out their final ending beforehand.  I feel like it will be tragic.

- I get the feeling Haru is the one to die.  The pic looks like he’s clasping a sword in his left hand.  The sword looks to be plunged into him (?).  That’s why his face looks stunned.  He has taken the sword meant for someone else (maybe DanOh?  Or Kyung?).  Or is it Kyung who kills Haru?  They seem to be regularly “fighting” in Secret.  The tennis rackets (like swords) with their names on it...ready for battle on court.  Kyung out to kill Haru but Haru betters him.  Kyung has rage enough in him to kill someone.  I don’t think he would mean to, but he has a violent temper.  That’s why Haru keeps telling him to change. I feel like he’s (Haru) set up as some Messianic figure for DanOh... “I will rescue you over and over again”.  Haru looks to be “leaving” Kyung in Flower.  Kyung feels like he “owns” him.  Is Haru Kyung’s hired henchman to do his dirty work and Haru wants to walk away and live a quiet life with DanOh?

- Secret is still being written/drawn out.  I feel like DanOh and Haru have already rewritten some of the pages (at NamJu’s party).  Hence the writer got rid of Haru1 and rebooted him as Haru2 (named extra) so she could rein him back in line.  Haru2 is the one with flashes of the past comic Flower.  Not DanOh anymore.  Interesting to see how that will play out in tonight’s episode.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 4
2 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

I really can't help it to think that BK is actually love HR instead of DO. LOL.

:lol: I know you're joking about this, but I can't help but laugh along and agree hahahaha. At least in Trumpet Creeper, I feel like they have a really strong and well-established friendship/bond (probably similar to what the author has done for Nam Joo and Dohwa now that I think about it... especially with the quick shot we saw of the introductory page and how their poses more or less mirror NJ/DH/JD). Hell, even the expressions are eerily similar across all 6 characters and their posing counterparts. (That quirked eyebrow on Dohwa/Haru... the apathy on Nam Joo and Kyung...) I can't help but wonder if the positioning of the characters is indicative of who the main lead/loveline is for TC... because if it is, then does that mean Haru is the second lead who isn't meant to end up with her?! Did I just completely blow apart my own earlier ideas around Trumpet Creeper?! Hahaha

DL3JMFh.png

2 hours ago, celebrianna said:

I’m so glad Haru is no longer taking any of BK’s crap. That guy has real anger issues and he needs to fix his attitude just like Haru pointed out and later Danoh pointed out. It’s quite obvious he looks down on Haru both through his words and actions. He better be thankful for the stage because that’s the only powerful advantage he has over Haru thanks to the unimaginative writer. It’s also clear that he had anger issues back in the goryeo period. He was kicking down stuff in that final scene when goryeo Haru decided to sever their bond. Even in that period his words conveyed that he looked down on Haru who seem to not know his origin. Maybe BK has abandonment issues. 

Yes!! That confrontation was everything I hoped it'd be. In the past (when Haru didn't think that Kyung was aware), it was impossible to have that conversation for a number of reasons: Kyung potentially forgetting it happening to begin with, Kyung not being reflective enough, etc. So it's incredibly satisfying that Kyung's self-awareness about his own failings and abusive nature is coming about as a result of his interactions with Haru, who--for all intents and purposes--is one of his best friends now. I swear, the more they reveal of Trumpet Creeper, the more I'm getting a My Country feel from their friendship (and its ensuing destruction).

I do think that Kyung deeply cares about Haru (in TC) and about Danoh (in Secret), but that you're also really spot on about his fear of abandonment and how that manifests in his treatment of others like objects to control. After all, he couldn't control Haru's choice to leave/remain with him in TC, couldn't control the loss of his mother in Secret, and can't even control the direction of his own life in terms of who he dates because of his father. Now that he has that awareness of his role in Secret and what that means in relation to how others should behave towards him (particularly in terms of seeing Danoh as his fiancee and Haru as his loyal lackey, regardless of either's real feelings on those matters), it seems like he's spiraling over the thought that they're moving on and finding happiness without him (broadly speaking). 

5 minutes ago, nrllee said:

- I get the feeling Haru is the one to die.  The pic looks like he’s clasping a sword in his left hand.  The sword looks to be plunged into him (?).  

I'm really on board with this! Earlier, I'd assumed that Squid Fairy's talk about past tragedies was referring to the direction of Haru and Danoh's relationship in TC, but now I can't help but wonder if he's also (possibly largely) referring to the clash between Haru and Kyung. Kyung might be violent and explosive, but based on those few seconds at the end of ep. 9, it looks like a lot of that stems from his fear of losing Haru; he probably isn't setting out to hurt/maim/kill his friend, so actually doing so...well... I'm getting flashbacks to Goblin here, haha, and the reaper's descent straight into madness. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 8

Dan Oh has always been so damn strong and brave under impossible circumstances but even she falls apart sometimes. And who can blame her? She’s been controlled like a puppet on strings all her life which she’s been living on borrowed time, her life and death depending on whims of a rather unoriginal writer and she even almost lost the boy she’s been falling in love with.

There would be no shame in giving up; however, just when she’s about to accept her fate, Haru comes. It’s fitting that he often appears when Dan Oh is at her weakest, always being there for her to catch her when she falls.

9V1CllS.jpg

“I would have saved you again thousands and hundreds of times. So don’t say you’re sorry.”

How come that this boy always knows the right way to say while Baek Young basically never does? It’s because they are so inherently different and unlike BY, who always keeps telling DO not to change anything and not to do anything because he fears losing what he has, Haru is willing to risk everything, suffer immeasurable pain and go against the creator himself as long as it would mean saving Dan Oh. BY had so much but he took it all for granted and never showed any real appreciation of it while Haru never had anything to begin with, ONLY EUN DAN OH AND HE WILL NEVER EVER REGRET HER!

Spoiler

She is so desperate here and afraid and, as always, he is unable to deny her anything. Also, just like with their height difference, even his hands are huge compared to hers. He always towers over her which is why it’s so poignant and symbolic that he kneels in front of her now, becoming the one who is looking up (to her), and spends the whole night kneeling in front of her, holding her hands in his own. 

tFasYGb.jpg

And when he tells her that he’ll never let her go, you realize that in his case never really means NEVER because not even death, his nor hers, managed to stop him before and it will not stop him again.

vmUk6HT.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
  • Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year