[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

Btw suddenly the cutie dohwa became cool and more handsome in my eyes when he stopped trying to confess to juda or change his fate...he is such a good friend for juda and namjoo...but i feel that conscious juda actually will fall for dohwa..and i find that too cute...

• Like 4
  • Love 3

@larrysouth An idea I've been playing with after watching the latest episode goes back to observations a few people had made before (and, in fact, that Kyung made when he first became aware--and Dohwa in passing to Danoh, too). They spoke about how most characters still possessed their key traits from onstage even in the shadow. For Dohwa, it was being enamored with Ju Da and wanting to act as her protector, and wondering, partly in jest, why it wasn't the case for Danoh when it came to her and Kyung. Even Kyung had wondered why Danoh seemed to possess such vastly different feelings for him on and off-stage, going as far as to ask her how much of what had transpired between them was "really her" (which I assumed to mean that, despite the fact that his lines and actions were planned, how he behaved still felt real to him).

Since we already know that the author recycles her characters (and that she does this most often for characters she's most fond of, going by what our Squid chef says), I think it stands to reason that maybe the disconnect that we've (and they've) noticed might stem from the fact that Danoh's character might have undergone changes from her first iteration in the Trumpet Creeper manhwa to the current version of her character that we see in the Secret manhwa. 

What are these changes? I'm going to put my tinfoil hat on for a moment, so bear with me! :lol:

So things we know:

• Both Danoh and Haru are repeating lines they've said onstage in Trumpet Creeper while in the shadow of Secret (e.g., for Danoh,
    Spoiler

the line about never feeling the way she's felt before in the latest episode

, and for Haru, the line about wanting to change his own fate)
  • Danoh is also repeating lines that she's said onstage in Trumpet Creeper while onstage in Secret (e.g., the "I could be married now" line).
  • Both Danoh and Haru are re-enacting (somewhat unwittingly) events that have occurred in Trumpet Creeper while in the shadow of Secret (e.g., Danoh falling onto him, him catching her, the water splashing, playing in the water, etc.) 

We already know based on the latest episode that

Spoiler

Haru is clearly Kyung's right hand man/servant/guard/personal warrior/etc, who the latter is reluctant to let go and goes on to accuse the former of liking Danoh

, so we already have some kind of established dynamic between him, Kyung, and Danoh in Trumpet Creeper. 

If Trumpet Creeper is where Danoh, Kyung, and Haru were first conceptualized, then I think that it's possible that how they behave in Secret in the shadow are the remnants of their old characters. Both Haru and Danoh visibly resist their new characterization in Secret (with Danoh finding her pining after Kyung to be a shame, and with Haru undergoing all the subconscious work to find his way back to Danoh, a character he's not even meant to interact with). There aren't as many changes to Kyung (possibly) because his characterization isn't very different from one manhwa to the next. 

I think that what these romantic snapshots of Danoh and Haru in Goryeo are showing the viewer is that maybe the onstage loveline in Trumpet Creeper is between Haru and Danoh. We don't know who Danoh's referring to when she says she "could marry him the next day" in the comic snapshot. We assumed that she was talking about Trumpet Creeper!Kyung because that's what she said to him onstage in Secret. But what if she was talking about Trumpet Creeper!Haru? We've seen a lot of evidence of Danoh and Haru interacting in Trumpet Creeper now through Haru's memories--what if those memories aren't from the shadow of Trumpet Creeper, but from their onstage interactions? 

In which case... maybe the disconnect that Danoh's feeling from this storyline in Secret (the fact that she doesn't actually like Kyung as one example among many) is because, at the core of her character, who she is, is rooted in her prior characterization. I think this might explain, in part, why she's saying things she'd said before to Haru and why she's behaving in ways that are reminiscent of events that have already happened in their past manhwa. So maybe Trumpet Creeper ended in a tragedy with Danoh dying/being separated from Haru, and that lasting regret between the two of them followed them into Secret. We know, at least, that it's definitely followed Haru. 

(And wouldn't this make that scene with her father in the hospital especially poignant, the fact that in this life and in all others, she wishes to be his daughter? Ugh!) 

Mostly conjecture though. :)

...Also, can we talk about that majestic half-cape that Haru's sporting in the last few seconds of the episode? Mm

• Like 3
  • Insightful 10

What a bad writer / creator...

same faces - okay I can live with that. I knew it from a few Mangas I read - there is extremly this one writer I really like her stories but for some reason her leads looks always the same - and a few other people too.

But same names? Hello - be creative writer...

same lines....  I am lost now...

• LOL 10

23 minutes ago, Mau_Cherry said:

What a bad writer / creator...

same faces - okay I can live with that. I knew it from a few Mangas I read - there is extremly this one writer I really like her stories but for some reason her leads looks always the same - and a few other people too.

But same names? Hello - be creative writer...

same lines....  I am lost now...

I think that is the recurring punch line that some characters who can be much more that what they are forced to be are limited by an unimaginative, bad writer. Dan Oh, Haru, Do Hwa, Ju Da, Sae Mi...all of them have uniqueness to them that the writer won't flourish or explore....be it in a good way or bad way....only Kyung seems to have a one track thought process which is being a boiling pot of anger and destruction....I am guessing that was part of his initial characterization hence he can't break free even in Shadow....Dan Oh, Haru are also retaining their characteristics from original Manhwa....Mi Chae has been in maximum Manhwa's hence he knows it and wishes to forget it all so that he does not have to witness the same tragedy being repeated again and again. Its very meta....I mean aren't most romance shows like that in reality....recycling the same setup simply because audiences lap it up.

• Like 11

@Calligrapher I like how you are thinking.  The only thing I might add is that maybe Trumpet Keeper is not their first Manhwa together.  Perhaps this is their 4th or even 5th iteration of their characters.  If that so, it speaks to some degree about the eternity of love and how despite the many changes that are thrown at us, love is the one constant that never changes.  I think Ha-Ru expressed it best when Dan-Oh was lamenting how his saving her life in the pool led to his oblivion.  His response was that even if it meant losing himself thousands or hundreds of times, he would do it again.  Maybe he was not just speaking figuratively.  Maybe he has been cast into oblivion many times but his love for Dan-Oh keeps bringing him back.  I must be getting tired if I just wrote something this cheesy.  :sleeping:

• Like 9
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2

It’s all true! Look at the angle at which he is clutching the blade - it’s Haru’s right hand that’s holding the sword while he is desperately trying to stop it. And that look of absolute agony and utter despair on his face! He feels pain, terrible pain. Once he learns the full truth about what really happened it’s going to tear him apart!

8ec3e8a21675f2b0d1ee3b81b614a67ac08e00a2.png

BUT A FACT: We know that when people appear on the stage they can’t move even an inch but HARU ACTUALLY MANAGED TO GET FREE AND RESIST THE WRITER FOR A TIME BY POWER OF SHEER WILL AND HIS LOVE FOR DAN OH! That’s extra AF and damn epic! He might get to see the scar as something that marks him as a terrible person but it’s a proof of his defiance in the face of fate even if he ended up defeated.

37202ecb41482a2e8b708efc9c66e85fd99d546a.png

• Like 11
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 2

Instead of talking about HaruxDanoh like I always do (y'all already doing a great job with your posts)

I'll just drop quickly to confess that I love I love I love DoHwa beyond words.

The guy is so precious I want to cry! Also he thicc *chefskiss*

• Like 9
  • Love 1

I’m so glad Haru is no longer taking any of BK’s crap. That guy has real anger issues and he needs to fix his attitude just like Haru pointed out and later Danoh pointed out. It’s quite obvious he looks down on Haru both through his words and actions. He better be thankful for the stage because that’s the only powerful advantage he has over Haru thanks to the unimaginative writer. It’s also clear that he had anger issues back in the goryeo period. He was kicking down stuff in that final scene when goryeo Haru decided to sever their bond. Even in that period his words conveyed that he looked down on Haru who seem to not know his origin. Maybe BK has abandonment issues. 

Jinmichae said their (Danoh, Haru, BK) story in Trumpet Creeper ended in tragedy. That seems to imply that the drama might stick with the story that

Spoiler

the manhwa writer forced Haru to kill Danoh and after that he began his quest to find her and protect her no matter if it cost his life.

Anybody else was laughing at the music teacher’s outfit? He certainly likes to dress in the spirit of the lesson he would be teaching that day. :lol: 

OTP scenes and development were so good in today’s episodes. Loved all of them including the sad but beautiful moments in the beginning of the episode.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Could it be DO and HR’s lines in sageuk were not coming from the writer, but coming from themselves on the shadow. Then DO and HR in the modern era unintentionally repeat those lines since they’re also beginning to fall in love like in sageuk era. So probably they still fall in love in the shadow regardless what comic or what characterization the writer wrote for them. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 5