Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

I don’t know about anyone else but it’s most cliche for the mean guy to end up with the girl.

Like the way Namjoo treats Juda is straight up manga cliche and probably manhwa as well. I have a lot more experience with manga than manhwa but I assume their tropes and cliches are pretty much the same. Most definitely Dong Hwa wouldn’t get the girl in a manga. Amusingly, it’s pretty much the same with a lot of drama as well. The second leads are a lot of times nicer and gentler to the girl. Both Haru and Do Hwa’s attitudes toward their love interests fit more with second leads in drama shows for the most part. Therefore, this is another reason why I feel that the Haru and Dan Oh coupling is not typical in drama, manga or manhwa. It’s also even less likely that Do Hwa would get Juda.

• Like 7

I don’t believe we should excuse BK. He is physically violent towards a lot of people ( including DO) and emotionally violent. Having bad background doesn’t mean you allowed to be mean. I mean it’s fictional but IRL woman regrets staying with this kind of men. 

Si for this reason I don’t ship him with anyone at all. 

But i can’t deny that BK is extremely interesting. He doesn’t seem to remember HR yet he always try to make him angry and jealous. I don’t know if he was self aware of being an manhwa character and he realized that HR is dangerous to the story. Or if he always suspected something was weird and was frustrated by HR/DH/Dan Oh giving clues. If he actually don’t want to think about it because it’s painful to know you don’t have freedom and your feelings aren’t maybe your own. He is a mystery to me even after the last episode. 

• Like 11

There's new update on webtoon July found by chance English scanlation

chapter 23 jin mi chae back story

Chapter 24 the reason haru lost his awareness (bittersweet ones)

You can read here

For anyone who want spoiler for webtoon ending

Drama and webtoon really different, but I love them both individually :)

• Thanks 10

1 hour ago, cherryblossomkawai said:

I don’t believe we should excuse BK. He is physically violent towards a lot of people ( including DO) and emotionally violent. Having bad background doesn’t mean you allowed to be mean. I mean it’s fictional but IRL woman regrets staying with this kind of men. 

I don't understand this too, everybody hate and blame violent in reality but while they watch dramas they like so much prone to violence character :tears: really I can't understand  I hate that BK push /pull Danoh and Haru and he did this so many time , If we understand every criminal so we don't need prison because everybody has a story .In reality everybody hate like BK person.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, cherryblossomkawai said:

I  don’t believe we should excuse BK. He is physically violent towards a lot of people ( including DO) and emotionally violent. Having bad background doesn’t mean you allowed to be mean. I mean it’s fictional but IRL woman regrets staying with this kind of men. 

I don’t ship it at all. I don’t like when men get violent with women.

I remember I stopped watching Law & Order: Special Victims Unit after the main cop pushed this female pedophile suspect against the wall in an interrogation room and she went into a coma. Meanwhile, if something like this happened in reality and was on the news, the same viewers would likely be against the cop. So I don’t understand how they can treat the same issue differently depending on reality vs fiction. 

I’m not surprised at all to Baek Kyung’s actions towards Haru or Dan Oh on or off stage. Somebody like him would definitely be jealous with the way Dan Oh now brushes him off for HaRu who even the other students were beginning to notice and praise.

• Like 8

tumblr_pzlouutBxg1xe2ihho1_400.gifvtumblr_pzlouutBxg1xe2ihho2_400.gifv

Spoiler

tumblr_pzlouutBxg1xe2ihho5_400.gifvtumblr_pzlouutBxg1xe2ihho3_400.gifv

tumblr_pzlouutBxg1xe2ihho6_400.gifvtumblr_pzlouutBxg1xe2ihho4_400.gifv

Credit: chaeunwoo

I think the show is really a parody of all the clichés, tropes and cheesy lines found in k-dramas, namely Boy Over Flower etc. Like the fact that on stage the bad guy gets the girl - aka Nam Joo getting Joo Da. So it's safe to say: Kyung won't get the girl. They're giving us all the shippy scenes with Ha Ru and Dan Oh's heart is already going dokie dokie. She is still fighting it, also because her main goal is to change the story and to do whatever she wants. She is basically rebelling against what the female characters are supposed to do. Hence why it's always so funny to have her internal monologue everytime she has to act in "Baek Kyung's Time". :lol:

• Like 10
  • LOL 2

@Jillia, I have never watched Boys Over Flowers because I couldn’t stand the original Japanese manga or anime. I didn’t like the male lead or his crew and I didn’t understand why it was so popular. ^_^ I still don’t even today. I definitely get the Hana Yori Dango vibes though in terms of the onstage story in this drama. 

• Like 5

MTVkYWJhZmI4MTYwNTI.jpg

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

I think the show is really a parody of all the clichés, tropes and cheesy lines found in k-dramas, namely Boy Over Flower etc. 

BK look like Choi Young Do ( Heirs) and I don't like Young do also :lol: but BK is more prone to violence

That means maybe shooting finish

• Like 6

@leeminhosny 

51 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

That means maybe shooting finish

I dunno but I kinda feel like the guy felt insecure taking picture side by side with Haru. He is just way too beautiful for a man :joy:

• Like 6
  • LOL 3

by the description of the character of Haru who is willing to give his life I think he could sacrifice himself to save Dan Oh I think I will cry a lot

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

32 minutes ago, adibadiba said:

@leeminhosny 

I dunno but I kinda feel like the guy felt insecure taking picture side by side with Haru. He is just way too beautiful for a man :joy:

:joy:

9 minutes ago, Dalila said:

by the description of the character of Haru who is willing to give his life I think he could sacrifice himself to save Dan Oh I think I will cry a lot

happy end will be and we will be happy :joy: I don't think bad end, finally this is school drama :joy:

• Like 7

On an off note... I love the whole cast, especially Shin Sae Mi.

I hope they all act together again.

I would love for Dan Oh and Do Hwa to have a drama of their own.... and With Beak Kyung too

Girl has incredible chemistry with everyone. 

• Like 7

@leeminhosny @celebrianna

I mean it in the overall sense. It's not a one to one copy/parody. But as @stroppyse said that first scene with the A3 is basically a parody on the entrance scene of the flower boys squad which is called F4. So a clear parody. :D 

And overall the drama (probably the webtoon as well) plays on all the drama clichés like dragging the girl by the arm. The bad boys who treat the female leads terrible but then they still get the girl (aka Joo Da is still somewhat smitten by Nam Joo due to her role as the female lead). It's just fun to see a drama using those clichés and have Dan Oh, Do Hwa and Ha Ru rebel against themm. Just the fact that as extras they try to become more important than that is just a nice twist.

• Like 7
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

My thoughts on BK’s journey to awareness after watching till Ep 12...

I suspect his awareness began by the end of the rain scene, when Haru said he will not remember him and the scene will change soon.

Basically, it appears that awareness may slowly develop when a character encounters something that doesn’t make sense to him/her, or is against the original “destiny/storyline” of the characters.

To hear someone say you will forget something with such certainty, and that a “scene” will change soon, definitely doesn’t feel logical, so that probably already started to trigger. Then when DH bumped into him immediately after the rain scene (which I believe was in the shadows) DH commented on how he is drenched while others are dry and that DO has awareness while he doesn’t, got him thinking further.

Along the way, the 3 musketeers kept making comments on the stage and shadows, writer, scene, not remembering, etc., which further triggered his awareness.

He also realized DO behaved very differently/“out of character” in split seconds, e.g. the bridge scene when she asked to break the engagement, the end of party after his announcement, when he invited her for the movie (he smirked and said “humph, stage?” when he was walking away after DO fled him to go to Haru), the pool scene, etc.

After the rain scene, whenever he asks Haru “who are you?”, it may look like he has forgotten him, but I think he is beginning to slowly gain awareness of his existence and he was actually asking “who exactly is this weird person I never noticed but suddenly appear out of nowhere and is unknown to other classmates, yet DO and DH who have been acting oddly seem to know him well”.

• He added Haru’s name to the soccer reserve list but his classmate didn’t know Haru, something I inferred, because the next scene shows him asking NJ if he invited Haru but NJ asked if he was in their class, showing he doesn’t know him too.
  • He probably recognized Haru at the entrance of NJ’s party but ignored him, but noticed him again as the waiter and followed him.
  • After the announcement, he was smirking at Haru in the most challenging manner, so he definitely recognized him, even though he was unknown to the rest. Haru only became “known” to other classmates during the series of lessons, specifically the art class, when Saemi and the art teacher could name him.
  • After the tennis match, he told Haru he wants him to play with him in future so he can keep an eye on him, probably because he wants to know more about this weird person.
  • Just before the soccer game, he offered to invite Haru to join the group but what he was really trying to do, was to provoke Haru. He did not mention the soccer match nor invite, but provoked by intentionally mentioning the “secret” that he was playing with DO. When he asked Haru who he was and again Haru said he won’t remember, he responded with “oh...” but in a condescending way.

I think he was gaining awareness throughout, bit by bit, but mostly because he kept getting triggered by the 3 musketeers. He knew there was something going on, but could not figure out what is really happening, until he saw the SECRET...but when did he come across it for the first time, remains a question for now.

Jinmichae must have noticed that the changes in the story direction impacted BK and BK was being out of character (e.g. announcement at party and how the tennis player playing with BK changed from a bespectacled classmate to Haru) as well. So when DO left to look for the book, he commented that “the next person to gain awareness...”

• Like 11
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, leeminhosny said:

:joy:

happy end will be and we will be happy :joy: I don't think bad end, finally this is school drama :joy:

I hope so

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote images, thanks! :)
  • Like 7

-----------------------------
On another note I wanted to see Dohwa win that swimming race between him and Namjoo. Dang but Baekkyung rang that alarm and everyone scrambled!!

----------------------------
I wanna see the full video of this !!!!

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

I agree, @chubbz! :) 

I would even say that Kyung became slowly aware something is off a little earlier. Even before he actually met Ha Ru. When the class went on the summer trip it was apparent that after Kyung was looking for Dan Oh in the woods, he got moved to the temple site so suddenly he couldn't even remember how he got there. So this was already an indicator that he isn't dumb and notices little things. Then when he met Ha Ru - Ha Ru repeately told him: you won't remember my name or any of this anyway so what does it matter if you know my name. Plus Ha Ru is pretty much connected with Dan Oh and always putting himself between Kyung and Dan Oh. So his subconscious remembered this annoying guy who are was a) stronger than him (I noticed each time he put his hand on Dan Oh or Ha Ru, Ha Ru effortlessly was able to remove his hand), b) everytime when the scene ends Dan Oh is turning to this guy whose freaking name he can't remember and c)Dan Oh and Ha Ru telling him all the time about character purpose and "the stage is over".

So in the regard I'm really curious to see HOW aware Kyung is. And if he is reponsible for Ha Ru disappearing.

And about the episode again: I think it was good portrayal of how different Ha Ru and Kyung react to Dan Oh, to jealousy and anger. We got jealous Ha Ru but instead of becoming violent he was only throwing looks at Do Hwa and interrupting Dan Oh and Do Hwa by punching the piano keys. Meanwhile Kyung is violent, he grabs Dan Oh and not too gently and kicks things. Meanwhile Ha Ru gentle puts Dan Oh behind him in order to protect her. Yes, he grabs her as well in order to remove her from Kyung's and terrible female extras' present but he immediately lets her go as soon as they outside. 

So there is that. Kyung is certainly a interesting character but there are things which are barely forgivable. And he himself needs to realize what he

Also, let's remember he only became jealous when Dan Oh stopped swooning over him. I'm pretty sure when she wasn't aware she was just moving through the world and even without a scene would swoon over Kyung. Now that she has a mind on her own, she stopped that behavior which frustrates Kyung. And suddenly he becomes obsessive and possessive, telling Dan Oh she needs to stop playing tricks and that she is his fiancé. 

I hope with him becoming aware he is realizing that the more important thing for him is to change who he is and to change his behavior. Also, I wouldn't mind him and Dan Oh becoming friends. I think they need a good talk about how they were both so unfitting for eachother were pushed together by that dreadful writer.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 4