Quantcast

[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

3 hours ago, nimon said:

is it just me or the latest episodes (13&14) kinda felt a little off?? SHDHD idk i just have this kind of feeling that it wasnt as satisfying as the past episodes but thats completely fine

No you're not. I felt that too. I also agree with @Nymeria289 that the editing is all over the place. There's this slight disappointment in me but i've become invested in the characters and actors of this drama (especially KHY) way too deep that i willingly choose to overlook the flaws. Here's hoping they wrap everything well so i can remember and rewatch this drama again fondly.

• Like 8
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hahahaha... these two cuties really. I wonder though why they would try to hide their feelings in front of Do Hwa. He is their biggest shipper. Plus Ha Ru asking Dan Oh if he needs to practice flirtin

It doesn't matter if the manhwa world is real or not. The characters are the ones who turn their world into reality.   In this drama it seems that on the one hand the real writer is using D

I think HR killed DO but it was not deliberate and he grabbed the sword with his left hand to stop it but it was too late. But the scene doesn’t look like a sword fight. It starts off with guards surr

Posted Images

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

sent you a message. Probably best to discuss there. :)

@nrllee I hope you are not put off of posting to this thread about BK.  I do have some negative feelings about BK to present based upon his actions and what he has said in the shadow.  However, I don't judge him when on stage since it is not fair to judge him on what he does or says in stage since the players don't have any control.  That said, I do hope for his eventual turn around.  Having worked as a social worker and a child abuse investigator for a number of years, I have seen my fair share of familial disfunction.  I have also seen children coming out of abusive situations eventually turn their life around and on more rare occasions abusive parents.  Like you have tried to express in your posts, BK is a very complex character and there are in fact explanations as to why his behavior is as it has been up to this point.  My experience has been that the time when real change occurs within a person is when they no longer see themselves as just the sum of their circumstances.  I am beginning to think that this is perhaps the point of this entire series.  Each aware character in their own way is asking the same questions:

• Is this all that I am?
  • can I change who I am to the better despite my circumstances?
  • can I find happiness even in my existing circumstances?

I think director-nim and writer-nim are asking us to look into our own lives and ask these same questions.

Please continue to support BK in the series and promote his cause.  I find him interesting and in the end we should at least be hoping for his eventual turn around.

• Like 10
  • Insightful 1

A question for the folks about Korean ladies fashion.  Are Korean high school ladies allowed to actually wear skirts so short to school.  I am no prude but I was actually a little shocked to see how short some of the student's skirts were and how much leg they show.  I know that as a father this would make me very uncomfortable to know my daughter dressed like that.  I also found it interesting that their was such a wide variety of different shirts, blouses, dresses, skirts, jackets, etc that one could wear and still be counted as wearing a uniform.  I thought the whole point of wearing uniforms was to make everyone the same and be less able to make class distinctions between the wealthy and poor so that everyone gets treated the same.  I am clearly missing something and it seems a lot more noticeable in this series compared to some other school series. 

• Like 4

I mean they're definitely trying to put him on the path of redemption (despite his actions in the last episode) - it's only 2 episodes left, so I expected that. The question is whether Kyung will be deserving of it in the end. At this point I don't think so. From the beginning I wanted Kyung to be the different kind of character. I didn't expect him to be 100% different from his stage character. I even expected him to be very hard to change because his setup is so coldhearted. But he isn't even a real tsundere character because he isn't really warm on the inside either. However I hoped for him to be more ambivalent than he actually is - the few times he showed how hurt he is by his mother's death and the treatment by his father is not enough to make him likable. It made me feel empathy for him because who wouldn't when a father is treating him like garbage. But that doesn't qualify him to be a likable character. I read somwhere that some even like his current stage character more than shadow!Kyung because "Secret" writer entered the stage of suddenly the male character starts liking Dan Oh. I wouldn't agree but I also can see why people think so, shadow!Kyung is just awful.

Anyways, I wanted Kyung to slowly ask himself who is and who he wants to be. If one character had reason to do so it's actually him with his terrible family and his even worse setup. But if he asked himself exactly that then he came to the wrong conclusion. He just decided that apparently he is fine with how everything is. He wants to be that person who owns Dan Oh because the plot dictates so. He wants to be this character who walks around blaming everyone for his situation. 

Meanwhile we have Dan Oh who as well does have a reason to change her fate. She was so clear about her feelings, that she doesn't like Kyung - no matter if he changes or not. No matter if he "permits" her on stage to keep doing what she likes. In the end she always wanted one thing: to live. I think Dan Oh is hurting herself in that process the most because instead of being honest about her pain and worries she keeps on smiling. She chooses not to be mean to people out of frustration over her setup. When she finds out that Ha Ru changed the stage, instead of adressing it she keeps on smiling and even tells Kyung not to tell Ha Ru (because he is so great in keeping things to himself). She only allows herself to be desperate when she is completely alone.

I can accept when some characters find it harder to come to terms with a) being fictional people and b) trying to figure out who they really are and if it's even worth to change something. But just because one setup seems to be harder to deal with than the other doesn't make a character worthy of redemption or to give them a pass for everything.

Also I would like to add: we can discuss everything here, just because the majority isn't happy with Kyung doesn't mean we can't discuss him here. But also a good discussion can only grow from different opinions and nobody needs to agree with the other one. How boring it would be if we all have the same theories, opinions or feelings. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2

large_34032cf9d6c3e19625b453d38babd87934b9a92c.jpeg

Rowoon has proven that he is an idol who can act well. 

On November 14th, the 27th and 28th episode of MBC ongoing drama 'Extraordinary You' aired. The story got more exciting and Eun Danoh (played by Kim Hyeyoon) is now facing her critical health condition. Eun Danoh has to part with Baek Kyung (played by Lee Jaewook) and Haru (played by SF9's Rowoon), the two guys who have feelings towards her. 

In the episode, Haru, who believes he can change the fate given by the writer, could not hold back his tears as he watched Danoh struggling with her life. 

Rowoon immersed himself in the character and naturally teared up in front of the cameras. Thanks to his all-out acting, he was able to completely deliver the story and touch viewers' hearts. 

Fans who saw Rowoon's acting shower him with praises, leaving comments such as "He is an idol but he acts so well," "I think Rowoon will get more drama offers in the future," "It looks so real that I also teared up during the scene," and more. 

• Like 8

Another reason why “I” don’t find BK interesting or compelling is because his character is just a matter of course: his father controls, abuses and uses him but instead of rising above that and making a determination to be different to his father, he follows his natural impulses to rage against the world and anyone in his path. He shows no restraint in his behavior or struggle to overcome these impulses. That’s why I thought that perhaps there would be an improvement after Haru told him to fix himself because I thought I sensed a response from him. Kind of like he was convicted by the truth of his poor attitude and violent behavior. That would have made him more interesting to me as I see him struggle to make changes in his attitude and approach to life. 

And regarding the intrigue of good behavior vs bad behavior, I have a contrary opinion.

Take for example, a worker who complains because of something his boss did to his team. It’s natural inclination to bad mouth the boss and give vent to his feelings. It’s like trying to engage the sympathy of others to your side while simultaneously getting back at the boss. However, say if there’s another worker in that team who equally didn’t like what the boss did but didn’t bad mouth the boss nor complain about him to others. Which person would you find more interesting? The person who naturally vents to relieve his feelings or the person who shows restraint? For me, the latter because it’s not normal. Most people are complainers. That’s why I find people so interesting when they take lemon and make lemonade. It’s probably also why some people including myself really enjoy stories of individuals who overcame their bad environment rather than settling for the excuse of being a product of their environment.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 5

In all honesty, with Kyung it's not even his setup and family... take that all away and leave him as this man who tells Dan Oh her feelings don't matter to him, that he owns her because the story has it all planned for them. Hurting Dan Oh by grabbing and dragging her around. Leaving her in the woods despite her condition.

If I have to choose between Dan Oh and Kyung I will always choose Dan Oh.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

Thought Baek Kyung will change to a better person... Watching him to do those little things, I felt selfish... Does he really love DanOh?  Or for his own sake?  Just like what he told DanOh,  she is his everything... 

As for Haru,  he over protective... Should not change the medical report... 

Really prefer Baek Kyung's character in manga... Never force DanOh to like him. Just be with her whenever he can... 

Haru's character in manga also good. Waited for DanOh quietly... 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, larrysouth said:

A question for the folks about Korean ladies fashion.  Are Korean high school ladies allowed to actually wear skirts so short to school.  I am no prude but I was actually a little shocked to see how short some of the student's skirts were and how much leg they show.  I know that as a father this would make me very uncomfortable to know my daughter dressed like that.  I also found it interesting that their was such a wide variety of different shirts, blouses, dresses, skirts, jackets, etc that one could wear and still be counted as wearing a uniform.  I thought the whole point of wearing uniforms was to make everyone the same and be less able to make class distinctions between the wealthy and poor so that everyone gets treated the same.  I am clearly missing something and it seems a lot more noticeable in this series compared to some other school series.

I've seen HS girls in Korea in their uniforms and their skirts are that high. I don't know if the school allows it, but outside of the campus, their skirts are pretty short, maybe they hike it up when they are off campus, not sure. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, larrysouth said:

Well if we take the K-fashion as a whole, not just in the high-school setting, then generally they think that showing even a little bit of cleavage is considered to be very sexual and scandalous, but wearing ridiculously short skirts and shorts is the norm, it's not frowned upon and girlies all over Korea do wear them. Where is the logic in that I have no idea. Where I live wearing such short skirts/shorts would be considered a bit much. As for high-schools, the uniforms that I've seen when I was in S. Korea had skirts that were just above the knee, not this short as they show in the drama, but maybe that's how it was for middle schoolers. I've seen some high school girls that had short skirts but I've also noticed that some of them wear the skirts pretty high up the waist to deliberately shorten them :P As for the uniform customization, it's pretty extreme in the drama, I don't think it reflects the real world, but nowadays kids are allowed to use accessories, back in the day they would be in trouble for that but it seems that high schools are becoming more lenient. Still, I'd say a drama is a drama and it has sponsored clothing that gets styled a certain way to appeal not only to high schoolers but to all young ladies who are watching. I've already seen some girls on K-forums asking around where to buy all these bows and pins that the girls are using on their blouses. 

• Insightful 4
  • Thanks 1

Baek Kyung did not kill Danoh...he did remove her Oxygen mask but put it back on when realized that he was doing the same thing to her like the previous story....Danoh just died as was intended in shadow....ans she was stable when Haru walked in

As for what I feel about Kyung....up until the revelation he has been pretty one note...atleast that's how he is written...a guy desperately holding on to his Manhwa storyline as his silver lining and Danoh as well...does he love Dan Oh, yes...in the most toxic, complicated way possible ..did he love her in Trumpet Creeper....I think he did but he was not self aware as much as he is in here...hence he regretted putting that sword in her...I must applaud Lee Jae Wook here....writers of the drama has given him a pretty black and white canvas...nuances were added by him...or else in the hands of a lesser actor, I can say with confidence, this would be a disaster...I for one liked that they pushed him to the point of almost killing Dan Oh in shadow...his burden is heavier in the shadow...that's gotta mess you up...I liked that he backed away with realization that he doesn't have to stay the same as the previous Manhwa...where selfishness, ego drove every part of his actions, its up to him to do things differently....It also gives me hope that he will be the one reuniting Dan Oh with Haru...we will have to wait and watch

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

@larrysouth

I agree with @nateko. When I lived in South Korea women in general were dressing up a lot. Or at least it would be considered "dressed up" where I live. In university female students were dressed from wearing short skirts to casual wear. Yet I always felt underdressed. I think with school, especially middle and highschool, it really depends what kind of school you attend. I'm sure in a Catholic school the dress code is much more strict than in other schools. Yet, I don't see dramas as a norm for how students look like. I would take Sky Castle as a more realistic representation. In some dramas you can see a teacher checking students if their skirts are too short or the male students wear their dress shirts and ties properly. I think a certain customization is permitted but when it goes too far students probably have to fix their appearance. In EY there is one female student who is wearing some sort of net stockings. I'm pretty sure you can't wear those at school in South Korea. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

Baek Kyung did not kill Danoh...he did remove her Oxygen mask but put it back on when realized that he was doing the same thing to her like the previous story....Danoh just died as was intended in shadow....ans she was stable when Haru walked in

As for what I feel about Kyung....up until the revelation he has been pretty one note...atleast that's how he is written...a guy desperately holding on to his Manhwa storyline as his silver lining and Danoh as well...does he love Dan Oh, yes...in the most toxic, complicated way possible ..did he love her in Trumpet Creeper....I think he did but he was not self aware as much as he is in here...hence he regretted putting that sword in her...I must applaud Lee Jae Wook here....writers of the drama has given him a pretty black and white canvas...nuances were added by him...or else in the hands of a lesser actor, I can say with confidence, this would be a disaster...I for one liked that they pushed him to the point of almost killing Dan Oh in shadow...his burden is heavier in the shadow...that's gotta mess you up...I liked that he backed away with realization that he doesn't have to stay the same as the previous Manhwa...where selfishness, ego drove every part of his actions, its up to him to do things differently....It also gives me hope that he will be the one reuniting Dan Oh with Haru...we will have to wait and watch

if he didn't kill.. i bet it is his brother who killed

the brother has suddenly got more lines.. and his only objective seems to be Baek Kyung's happiness

so he killed DO.. pretty sure in trumpet also he egged on BK 

• Confused 1

I really have many thoughts on the episode though. Despite the editing or maybe because of that there was a lot going on. And I have some theories but can barely put them into words.

I think it's true Kyung did put the mask back on but actually the monitor went off with an alarm because the oxygen supply rate went down by removing the mask. We don't know for how long Kyung stood there until he put the mask back on. When Ha Ru comes back in the alarm is still going. And then Dan Oh's heartrate goes down and she dies. We will never now what actually lead to Dan Oh's death. But I think in this episode Ha Ru and Kyung are not so different. Yes, they ARE different in character but both of them found out something today. The episode started off with Kyung telling Ha Ru that he killed Dan Oh, that it's because of Ha Ru that Dan Oh died and possibly will die. But the episode ended with Kyung realizing that he played a big part in it as well. It's a wakeup call... when he said "I'm not so different from back then".

Ha Ru believes he killed Dan Oh in "Trumpet Creeper" but actually it was Kyung who pushed the sword to stab Dan Oh. On stage yes, but the image is there. Both their hands clutching the sword. There is a reason why this scene was cut in after Kyung took off the mask.

81304854095b62ccda5830c277336332b57e813e

But then in "Secret" Ha Ru's actions lead to a change of the stage and actually Joo Da's grandma gets the surgery Dan Oh was supposed to get and survives. I wonder whether Dan Oh would've been healthier after receiving the surgery or if she would've died depending on blood values. We also will never know. But anyways just like "Trumpet Creeper" it was like Ha Ru and Kyung were again stabbing Dan Oh together. Of course reasons were different back then, Ha Ru didn't want to stab Dan Oh and Kyung wanted to kill Dan Oh for the sake of his power game. Here both want to save Dan Oh (we can argue about Kyung all along but the thought of actually letting her die was there - knowing she would come back without memories) but their actions lead to her death anyways.

(my brain is just having so many thoughts... like... what a chaos. I hope you know what I mean :))

And then of course Dan Oh's heart going off as soon as she is near Ha Ru. I wonder what the reason was? In the past, her heart would go off but not because of her disease but simply because her heart would recognize him. But now it's connected with the pain from her heart disease. Is this something the writer controls as well?

On another note: I'm suspicious about Kyung's brother. He is creepy. I wonder whether he will actually play a bigger role than we think. How could he know that killing someone in the shadow would lead to memory loss? Nobody told him. But he seems to remember everything from "Trumpet Creeper". So what if... he was the one who ordered to kill Su Hyang in the shadow. I'm very certain the stage death was ordered by Kyung. But in the shadow I could imagine he would do something like that. He seems devoted to his brother - just like in "Secret" - and he would possibly do anything to ensure his brother the throne.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 8

@Jillia That is a very interesting theory and it does make sense.  Of course in real life it would be very difficult to do what BK did.  After my wife's heart surgery, she had about 5 different machines, twenty-two IV's, and at least 4 tubes going into her.  The slightest change in any of those things would have set off alarms and a very quick response from the medical staff.  While, I was in the hospital with my wife, she had two nurses assigned to her and out of three hours of time, I would say there was only a total of 15 minutes where I was the only person in the room but never 15 minutes straight.

I agree that BK and HR both played a role in what happened to Dan-Oh.  I think this is why Jinmiche is so strong in his urgings for all the aware characters not to mess with the stage.  His experience down this road was horrific and he wants to instill caution in anyone considering changing the stage because they can really never know what the eventual outcome will be (butterfly effect).

BK's brother.  He just gives me the creeps.  I am getting that "Children of the Corn" vibe off of him.

51eSGelIHuL._AC_SX466_.jpg

• Like 3
  • Insightful 6

We need to protect Rowoon aka Ha Ru and Jung Gun Joo aka Do Hwa at all cost. These cuties were filming, Hye Yoon was there as well and so were Lee Jae Wook and Baek Hyun Sung aka Kyung's brother. :D

1573810595.gif

• Like 7
6 minutes ago, Jillia said:

We need to protect Rowoon aka Ha Ru and Jung Gun Joo aka Do Hwa at all cost. These cuties were filming, Hye Yoon was there as well and so were Lee Jae Wook and Baek Hyun Sung aka Kyung's brother. :D

Ok, how is it that everyone else appears to be wearing coats and gloves but 2 of our E3 members are only wearing suit jackets?  It looks cold out there.  Let's send them warm thoughts.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, larrysouth said:

Please continue to support BK in the series and promote his cause.  I find him interesting and in the end we should at least be hoping for his eventual turn around

O I am not put off :D.  Robust discussions are where it’s at.  My analysis of BK was very long and probably a lot of it would’ve been covered piecemeal through this thread and in various other sites already so I sent it to the interested reader in a message as a result.

What really piqued my interest about BK was the fact that the screenwriters of this drama decided to paint him in such a bad light.  Especially seeing his webtoon counterpart was supposedly a lot softer and grey.  In contrast HR has zero flaws and is pretty straightforward and obvious.  Why would they do that?  So my interest in BK’s character set up was therefore elevated because I am also wondering how the screenwriter will choose to redeem him, if at all.  Maybe he will be like Gollum.  :lol:  But Lord of the Rings wasn’t among the list of books on the shelf used as inspirations for this drama.  The only character in that list that I can see being so tarnished as a character is Shylock.  He was given the chance to proffer mercy but he chose not to give it.  

@celebrianna

Your example about complaining workers is interesting.  In the context of this drama then, the boss would be the writer.  So far, HR is the only one who hasn’t “complained” about the boss/writer.  Everyone else has blamed the boss for their situation.  So he’s the one who is the most interesting then because he’s bucked the trend.  One could argue he really has nothing to complain about because he has no family breathing down his neck (no expectations familial or societal), he has no home, no bills to pay - he lives in the school library doing what he wants all the time. :lol:  There are really no expectations at all placed on him.  He is a totally free agent.  His only reason for existence is DO.  He has no reason to complain really.  Conversely that also makes him very unrealistic as a character?  That’s why he always seemed otherworldly for me because someone like him doesn’t exist in real life.  Everyone born into the world has some form of external expectations placed on them by family or society.  But his character is interesting in that he approaches the “problem” of DO’s health differently.  He doesn’t curse the writer, he doesn’t bemoan the circumstances or how unfair it is, he works with what he’s been given and “experiments” to enact change within those parameters.  He doesn’t look at the perceived parameters and just wallow in despair.  He remains undaunted in the face of setbacks.  So if you want to go really meta with it then HR’s character is the one to aspire to be like.  Everyone has been allotted a certain “set up” in life, you can choose to bemoan how someone else has it better than you and therefore excuse yourself from living your best life given the parameters, or you can choose to be like HR/DO, they were at their happiest when they forgot about trying to “change” her set up, when they stayed in the moment and lived the best life they could with the time allotted to them.  Quality of life Vs Quantity.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Jillia changed the title to [Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year