[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

Romantic dramas “When the Camellia Blooms” on KBS2 and “Extraordinary You” on MBC both wrapped up this Thursday, recording 23.8 percent and 3.6 percent, respectively, in viewer ratings for their final episodes, according to Nielsen Korea.

Despite the large discrepancies in the number of viewers who tuned in to watch the grand finales of the two series, “Camellia” and “Extraordinary” took first and second place on the list of most buzzworthy dramas compiled for the second week of November by media analyst Good Data. Three actors from each drama also landed on the top 10 buzzworthy actors list the same week, according to Good Data. The lists were calculated after an analysis of the amount and quality of posts and comments about the dramas and characters in the news, social media and on video platforms.

So what’s the secret behind the explosive online fame of “Extraordinary You,” which hadn’t received as much TV attention as its competitors but had many of its clips on YouTube viewed more than a million times?

Besides the interesting storyline and talented cast, the popularity of the drama owes a lot to the fact that it’s based on the hit web comic “July Found By Chance,” which was first published on Daum in 2018.

“Extraordinary” is just one of the few webtoon-turned-TV shows dominating Korean television today. KBS2’s ongoing “The Tale of Nokdu,” a romantic comedy set in the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) that first appeared on Naver Webtoon in 2014, ranks third on the most buzzworthy list. TvN’s comedy “Pegasus Market,” which was first serialized on Naver in 2010, wraps up Good Data’s buzzworthy list at No. 10.

Although viewers have a general idea of how these dramas are going to end, the compelling characters and the intricate story lines of web comics, often devised over the course of several years by cartoonists, have won over legions of young fans who are used to the medium.

“Extraordinary You” has a complicated plot that only the most diligent viewers can keep up with. Protagonist Eun Dan-oh (Kim Hye-yoon) is a high school student who suddenly realizes that she is actually a minor character inside the comic book “Secret,” whose only purpose of existence is to help the book’s two protagonists fall in love. Having discovered her own “ego,” Eun tries to help the comic book characters uncover theirs.

Many viewers were excited to continue following the ever-thickening plot and even willing to help others understand what was going on, said Park Myung-jin, a researcher at Good Data.

“Webtoon dramas usually attract high interest because there are fans of the original work,” Park said. “The resemblance of the actors to the original webtoon characters and word-of-mouth marketing influences the subsequent interest, but in the case of ‘Extraordinary You,’ many people uploaded videos that compiled key clips from the drama and online posts explaining the fictional universe.”

“A lot of diverse stories are coming to TV thanks to the creativity of webtoons, as shown in ‘Extraordinary You,’ where side characters become the protagonists, and ‘Pegasus Market’ which features indigenous people,” mused drama critic Gong Hee-jeong.

“Webtoon users are familiar with a wacky sense of humor and open to experimentation, but they’re strict when it comes to dramas undermining the quality of the original work,” said Prof. Park Ki-soo, who teaches culture contents at Hanyang University.

“Viewers are more proactive now in the era of Netflix, Watch Play and other streaming platforms, so content [providers] need to make corresponding changes.”

• Like 6

I just checked Mydaramlist and saw that many people were disappointed about how Dan Oh stopped caring about changing her terminal illness set up after she met Haru. And I couldn't help myself from defending her :lol: Firstly, we all saw how desperately Dan Oh wanted to change her fate and stopped only when Haru disappeared. Haru the person who tried to help her changing her fate, was always nice to her and treated her with utmost respect. You cannot let another person die because of you in order to save your life especially if that person is innocent like Haru. It's not about being strong and progressive. It's pure selfishness and wrong.

Secondly, to Dan Oh in the beginning Haru was just someone who can change her fate and she was actually "using" him. Only after losing him she realised how important he is to her. She is an extra whose purpose of life is to bring the leads together and provide solace to Baek Kyung. She existed for others and her life had no meaning. But like Dan Oh said Haru is the one who makes her feel like she is main character. When Haru disappeared she became depressed but when he returned and came back to her she became cheerful in no time. I'm not saying that her happiness depends on Haru. Yes she was happy before too but she often became sad when she remembered that she is a character and an extra. So how can she bear to lose the person who makes her feel like she is the most important and precious person even though she's not. She gave up trying to change her fate because she realised that a short but colorful and happy life is much better than a long and dull one. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

36bd62e0edcf9b4e7c4df4b32f414d69aaed5679

1e9c81fbe1588a9a460822e78af6486f96ab92d2

DanHaru must be doing their 20th kiss now :wub::wub:

@Jillia I was actually ok with Joo Da's decision because I could understand her reason. But then she said she wants to date both the boys and I was totally turned off. If this was said by Dowha or Haru everyone would have started cursing them but since she is a girl she got free pass. Thankfully Dowha said goodbye to her. He deserves someone like Dan Oh not Joo Da.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Jillia said:

@-Love Blossom-

Yeah, it was a bit much. Like I was on her side when she decided to be fair about her decision and to let Do Hwa know. But instead of letting him move on she comes around with that "proposal". She probably meant it as a joke but it took away from her personality a bit. And I agree: Do Hwa deserves EVERYTHING.

But OMO! All that kissing... Now I have in my mind maybe Ha Ru had to straighten his tie again because they really made out for some time. You know a lot of kissing. :D :wub:

Since they are university students now they can do a bit "mature" kissing now. :wub::P Dan Oh should have written 1000 kisses now that they don't have any interference and can stay with each other all time

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

6 hours ago, Harry97 said:

And the saga of Dan Oh getting accidentally hit continues:D Lol Rowoon hitting his own hand for accidentally hitting her:sweatingbullets: he is so sweet just like haru

Ahhh this is so painful Rowoon and KHY really cried :tears: They sould be so sad because drama finish and they are together for 6 months:tears:  Haru and Danoh together again but they break up now :tears:

1 minute ago, Jillia said:

I will post any updates on that matter here. But I believe we can be optimistic about the blu-ray production because like @leeminhosny said EY was/is actually a popular drama despite the ratings. :D 

we don't trust people  :joy:  so I aware of everyone left Rowoon after drama 

Spoiler

Everytime I think SF9's fandom bigger but every cb era album sales low:tears: 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

Ahhh this is so painful Rowoon and KHY really cried :tears: They sould be so sad because drama finish and they are together for 6 months:tears:  Haru and Danoh together again but they break up now :tears:

we don't trust people  :joy:  so I aware of everyone left Rowoon after drama 

Reveal hidden contents

Everytime I think SF9's fandom bigger but every cb era album sales low:tears: 

They definitely became good friends during those 6 months. I hope they will continue to remain remain so. 

Don't worry rowoon has really worked hard and has won so many hearts. Whenever I visit sf9 mvs I find comments like how they became curious about the group due to rowoon from ey but now have actually started to like the group. Hard work always pays off it's just that it takes some time .

13 minutes ago, Jillia said:

@Harry97 @leeminhosny

I was so touched to watch the making of of Ha Ru trying to make Dan Oh remember him and Rowoon and Kim Hye Yoon were tearing up. They know how much Dan Oh and Ha Ru mean to eachother.:bawling:

Ya they were totally breathing their characters for the past 6 months. They really gave their all for this drama and it reflects onscreen in their performances. I hope they get more and better opportunities in future to showcase their talent. 

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Harry97 said:

Don't worry rowoon has really worked hard and has won so many hearts. Whenever I visit sf9 mvs I find comments like how they became curious about the group due to rowoon from ey but now have actually started to like the group. Hard work always pays off it's just that it takes some time .

But last year SKY castle was hit and rating super high, everyone praised Chani but unfortunately there aren't change amount to much for group , so I aware again:tears: , I hope this time Rowoon and SF9 will achieve aims 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Explaining the tennis balls and Heidegger here. I'm sorry, I'm pressed for time so I can only copy an excerpt here. Too many pictures for me to paste. 

https://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/11/23/extra-ordinary-you-ep-32-on-tennis-balls-and-heidegger-again

On tennis balls. 

lol. Even tennis balls have meaning, don’t you know?

Tennis is a two-player game. Kyung has always been always looking for a partner. The manhwa writer gave him Haru as a tennis partner after Haru came back from the “dead” and lost his memories, just like the writer gave him Haru as his guard in the first manhwa, “The Flower.”

But his real partner should have been his younger brother. From the start, the younger brother had been there. In the Flower manhwa, the younger brother was concerned when Kyung’s minister/father began scheming Kyung’s power-grab. But he stayed in the sidelines, afraid to change his stage.

In “Secret,” the younger brother also didn’t want anything changed. He thought if he let things be, Kyung would eventually find happiness with DanOh and end his loneliness. He wasn’t concerned that DanOh was unhappy with that setup as long as Kyung would have somebody finally at his side.

Because he knew that his brother had always been lonely. Lonely BY CHOICE, mind you. He rejected the opportunities which people threw at him to become close to him....

On Heidegger.

You do realize that the final moment of DanOh and Haru at the stairs refers to Heidegger’s “Being and Time,” too, right?

They were escaping the void or blackout of the manhwa. Heidegger would call this “Das Nichts” or the “nothing” that eats up our existence, our being. In the drama, it was a literal “nothingness.”

Lights out in the library!

pic

And then, in the hallway. This was a visual “Das Nichts.” lol.

pic

Haru: DanOh. I wasn’t able to protect you then, but it’s a relief that I was able to change your destiny. I’m sorry for not being able to be with you until the very last scene.

He smiled at her tearfully. The “Das Nichts” approached them, extinguishing the lights one by one.

Haru: DanOh. Don’t cry. Today’s been the happiest day for me. Since my beginning and ending was you.

Haru: Call my name. (she shook head). DanOh. My name.

DanOh: Haru. Haru-ya.
Haru: DanOh.

I like that she called him “Haru” first. She gave him this name because she CHOSE him to be the one to change her fate, step by step, little by little, day by day.

But I also like that she called him by the more affectionate term, “Haru-ya.” This was her name for him, too.

Remember that poem, “Flower” by Kim Chunsu that I explained earlier? I said that to call each other’s name is a personal and intimate act, in the sense that they EXIST in that world for each other. They’re not nameless, unfamiliar, unknown strangers. Look: whenever DanOh called him by name (as opposed to “Hey, you!” or “Yah!”), he couldn't help but to turn around and look back at her.

To me, Haru wanted to hear her calling his name, at this moment when he disappeared, because he wanted HER to be the last thing on his mind. He wanted their names to be final words when he ceased to exist. That way, when he woke up again in another time and world, he would hopefully, remember them at first instance.  He would like that the first thought in his consciousness was a) his name is Haru, and b) he’s looking for DanOh.

https://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/11/23/extra-ordinary-you-ep-32-on-tennis-balls-and-heidegger-again

jmsjduQ.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 4

52 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

But last year SKY castle was hit and rating super high, everyone praised Chani but unfortunately there aren't change amount to much for group , so I aware again:tears: , I hope this time Rowoon and SF9 will achieve aims 

All SF9 members have the necessary talent and skills to hit big but the problem is their company FNC is bad at marketing and managing their artists. When Chani became popular instead of making use of his popularity and giving them catchy song FNC sent them on world tour or something. As a result people forgot about him and it didn't change the status of their group. Hopefully this time they won't repeat the same mistake.

• Like 3

Did you see deleted secenes , you can watch this page

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, -Love Blossom- said:

All SF9 members have the necessary talent and skills to hit big but the problem is their company FNC is bad at marketing and managing their artists. When Chani became popular instead of making use of his popularity and giving them catchy song FNC sent them on world tour or something. As a result people forgot about him and it didn't change the status of their group. Hopefully this time they won't repeat the same mistake.

I like song and I think so many popular group songs are so bad , I can't understand people tastes, I don't think same with Korean about KPOP 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jillia said:

At first I thought it was weird that Dan Oh seemed to be... not okay with the couple items. Like poor Ha Ru doesn't have rich parents who can buy expensive presents. :lol: Plus Ha Ru made it. But let's just put ourselves in her shoes. Would we be impressed by a gift like that? Probably not because we're so used to getting gifts which are bought by money. But Ha Ru simply did what he could with what had available and it turned out cute. It's the innocent Ha Ru from earlier episodes and I love it and so does Dan Oh. :wub:

Just Haru's look even is present for Danoh :lol:

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Jillia said:

Hence why I don't get how some people saw no chemistry between them. They were oozing chemistry and cuteness. Like you said they gave everything and put everything they had in this role. Because from the beginning they were the emotional core of the drama. You can have a non-functioning couple in a fantasy romance. And they did it all. :D 

ITA. Personally I thought they did a wonderful job convincing me of their love. Not to mention their interactions imo were quite natural. :wub:

By the way, I never mentioned how much I love the scene where they spoke about Extraordinary You. I loved Haru’s English pronunciation. 

• Like 7