[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

Spoiler

I think the point here is if the writers put Dan Oh and Haru in a world together, they will always find one another...and the worst part is they can't escape his intent in broader sense....I guess that is why Jin Michae prefers not being recycled...It makes their struggle that much more painful and in a way useless in crude terms....its a terrible fate....I would imagine as two nameless extras they live their days happily together and will never be recycled past this story....that is the kindest thing the writer could give gift them

• Like 7
  • Love 2

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루

the ending might be underwhelming for some but i'm just happy that 

Spoiler

no one died :joy:

yes there were still unanswered questions about their world and the writer's identity but due to time constraint and filler episodes (cough ep 15 cough), we'll just have to accept their logic :sweatingbullets: 

Spoiler

the most satisfying part for me is, i don't know if you guys noticed but at the end, danoh does not have a name on her locker nor her notebook so i'm pretty sure danoh and haru will continue their love story as nameless characters in the shadow without any pressure from the writer and they can finally do whatever they want and make their own precious memories together. 

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Lot's of romantic cuteness from many of the characters in episode 31.  I am glad they did something more light hearted in this episode considering all the angst in the previous ones.

Spoiler

Dan-Oh pulling on Ha-Ru's tie to get them in position for a kiss was heart fluttering.  :kiss_wink:

• Like 12

This ending was not satisfying :tears: It’s happy but at the same time not happy. All the characters will have to go through the same pain again and again. Danoh and Haru will constantly be separated. 

How come they never reveal the writer? 

I wish the show ended where the characters could block the writer from being like a “god figure” ever again. 

Dohwa, I will hug you forever and ever :tears:

• Like 4

I have so much to say about the ending but I think it will take some time for me to recover from it. I'm already experiencing withdrawal symptoms.:tears: Right now all I can say is I love DanHaru a lot:wub::tears: they are so beautiful

I personally think this is the best possible ending the writers could give us for our OTP DanHaru.

Since some of you may have not watched the episode I'm gonna put few sentences in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

It was highlighted quite few times that Dan Oh and Haru both are nameless characters. First time when Dan Oh's book fell down and second time when she closed the locker. As for Haru the drawing that Dan Oh came across was definitely drawn by Haru which had no name to the name tag. We saw how Dan Oh recovered her memories but Haru's weren't shown to us so I think it's safe to assume he recovered it in the same way as Dan Oh and he drew that drawing because it kept popping in his memories. So I think it's better to exist as nameless characters who hold less significance in the manwha than to exist as characters with some kind of setup be it the main leads or extras because this way you can spend more time in shadow being yourself. So in this manwha our otp are definitely gonna have the time of their lives creating wonderful memories of the lifetime.:heart:

Also one thing is sure no matter where the end up in future they will always find each other and if for some reason the writer stops writing they both will cease to exist together. So I don't think it's totally sad because at one point life stops. At least we know when they were together they were happy. 

Spoiler

Also I really wished Do Hwa , Juda and Baek Kyung also made it into the new manwha because it would be great to see them moving on with their new setup. So yes I am little disappointed about that:sweatingbullets:. This time the writer didn't seem to be that cruel eg: Sae Mi and Soo chul. So I'm gonna imagine they are in some other manwha where Do Hwa and Juda are paired and Baek Kyung has also found his own love interest and is blessed with loving parents including his brother.

After a long time I have got this attached to a kdrama. Last time it was in 2017 suspicious partner. Extraordinary You has it flaws but will always remain close to my heart especially DanHaru. Their love story is so pure and beautiful just like a dream. I know it's difficult to find a love like that in reality but still they did make a special place in my heart entering my favourite kdrama otp list:lol:. Also special appreciation for Do Hwa he is such a cutie :wub:. This was a beautiful journey. Loved reading all your discussions. Thanks everyone for making my wait for Wednesdays-Thursdays  easier. I know I will definitely be re watching this drama a lot. The cast deserves all the praise and appreciation especially Kim Hye Yoon, Rowoon and Lee Jae Wook. I will look forward to their future works. Also the chemistry between Rowoon and Kim Hye Yoon was amazing especially in the emotional scenes they totally deserve best couple award.

P.s. : I am so glad that we have wrap up party tomorrow and not on same day as the last episode. I hope someone posts the pics here tomorrow. Will lurk here from time to time. Also KHY and Rowoon (the business couple) owe us a full heart so I hope they don't forget their promise :sweatingbullets:

• Like 14

Just finished the series and I was pleased.  Spoiler Musings below:

Spoiler

Ha-Ru being taken out of the manhwa was a gut wrenching scene.  Not sure how our two leads can't win awards for their performances as they have done an amazing job of portraying their love for each other in a very realistic and enjoyable way.

Super sweet the way Dried Squid Fairy and Soo Hyang had their special moment together at the graduation.  I also loved his little jealous outburst.  I am glad that they did this for Jinmichae.  Not sure why they threw this part in so late.  I think they could have easily spent at least two thirds of the series further developing their relationship.

Ha-Ru/Dan-Oh meeting again in the college manhwa was handled very well.  It was not something that got slapped on in the last 2 minutes of the series.  I appreciate that they took their time with it.  The hug at the end was a satisfying conclusion to the series.  I think a wonderful message out of this show is that not one of us lives forever.  However the love we show each other lives on eternally.  What a positive message to send out the world.  I wish we had more messages like this.   

It was a pleasure watching the show with all my "Extra Squad" friends.  Posting and reading all of your posts made the experience that much more enjoyable for me.  I hope to be seeing your posts soon on other K-Dramas.  Please be at peace.

:kiss_wink:

• Like 9
  • Love 4

large_86b527f94afe2f4d444b3ce8a4ea125eb06abf08.jpeg

New scientific discovery: mermaids exist and they are beautiful.

On November 20th, SF9's Rowoon uploaded an Instagram post that proved he is a mermaid. Rowoon is currently starring in 'Extraordinary You,' playing the role of Haru. On Instagram, Rowoon wrote, "Behind-the-scene clip of practicing diving scene." 

He was rehearsing for a scene in 'Extraordinary You.'

In the short video, Rowoon, in a pink T-shirt and short pants, dives deep into the swimming set. He doesn't hesitate swimming to the bottom of the pool, staying there for a moment, and shooting high up to the surface like the mermaid we all imagined. 

He is a great swimmer!

1574324883230-1574324883230.png

The scene was aired on the eleventh and twelveth episode of 'Extraordinary You.' It was the moment when Haru realizes his love and dives to save Danoh underwater. When it was first aired, the scene recorded the topmost viewer ratings for the episodes. 

• Like 5

I love this show! There are many loose ends, there are parts i wish they can do better in execution, there are parts i wish they develop more (the trumpet creeper! I see in the making videos that they have more scenes with more proper and complete conversation from TC which they dont put in the drama), and parts that i wish they restrain from, but in the end the drama still remain heartwarming, cute, fun, insightful and will remain as one of my favorite dramas.

Lots of people who read the webtoon got disappointed with the drama. For me, both the webtoon and the drama are great. Each has its own charms. But the main theme is still the same, that no matter in what circumstances we are put in this world with, we can always make choices to find our true selves, put an effort to change the circumstances and be better. Even when the results are not always what we expect and at times turn to be worse, but the process of making that effort itself is precious and the very end result is actually the best for us. Actually BK in the drama (that some people find as flaw or shortcoming of the drama) can actually be strong point of this drama. Through him we see people who give in to their setup, circumstances they're in, not even trying to find who they really are, what they really want, and how to change their situations. And we see that by doing it, he lose himself and precious things that he can have if only he put more effort to it. Life will always gives us obstacles, there are things we can not avoid even when we try to, but if we at least try, we'll find another form of happiness in that process.

Spoiler

About the last episode, I'm surprised that the extras entertained me more in this episode. JD giving NJ the allowance book and tell him to report. Our E3 being together and hilarious. HR with his couple item (i laugh really hard at this). A3 farewell moment with NJ and "my boys" remark. JMC throwing DH with food, and the way DH just innocently eat it instead of getting angry. NJ writing confession on the board (i cringe and crack up at the same time). College fashion terrorist NJ with his strawberry milk. I love every single one of them!

Some people may want BK, DH, or even JD in the new manhwa too. But i'm so satisfied that they choose to highlight the extras in secret instead. I love how they make spin-off to it. How the bullies turn into this nerdish smart bookworm and the model students turn into bullies. I guess after years of studying dilligently for SAT Ban Jang and friends are getting tired and let out their rebellious side once they enter the university. I love all the extras in this drama and wish them to have their own time to shine in other projects.

Lastly, thank you everyone in this thread who keep the discussion alive. Your posts added more fun to the experience of watching this ongoing drama.

I'll give my final greeting just like the way my most favorite characters do

ㅇㅎㄹ ㅇㅈ ㅇㄴ

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

Spoilers

Spoiler

I liked
- Heidegger was mentioned (just like Hotel Del Luna) :).  Questions about existence and meaning of life was obviously woven into the plot.  It just needs to be thought through if people want to look harder.

- the bucket list (nearly completed bar the watch DO tried to give HR) - not quite 100 kisses but that will do :wub::lol:

- the ending that as a OTP they will always find each other in every iteration of the comic (much like reincarnation?) regardless.

- it was a sweet ending for OTP.

I didn’t like

- the forced reconciliations of everyone.  It just felt...very shoe horned.  I can take it if it was just one but it seemed like there was an attempt to get everyone to make amends

- why didn’t JD just let DH go already?  She made a choice.  What was this about dating NJ “Tue, thu, sat” and DH “Mon, Wed, Fri” leaving Sunday for herself?  And her reason was she was the main female lead so it’s expected to “weigh her love interests in the love triangle”? That left me scratching my head...why bother turning her into a  player again so late in the piece?  She was already doing that most of the comic, to end with that was just strange. Just as well DH closed that door himself with his final words to her, “good bye”.  Good for him.

- the secret was that NJ was in love with JD?  What?  The writer could’ve left it at his hidden identity about being illegitimate and I would buy it. :lol:

- poor Squid only found out about his lover’s awareness on the last page.  She could’ve told him earlier and they could’ve spent more time together with no “secrets” between them.  I am still not sure why she would’ve kept it from him till that slip up in the end?

- BK’s brother was just a very strange character.  I think lots of people have mentioned it.  I am not sure he was necessary as a character.  Initially I thought he was the writer’s alter ego but it doesn’t seem so.  One Yoda figure in Squid was enough, I didn’t think they needed 2.  But maybe the writer wanted BK to have someone by his side to the end of Secret which seemed to be the only purpose for his brother’s character.  And trying to sell me the idea that BK was affectionate and nice before in TC (but still lonely)?  Not going to fly.  Not at this late stage. 

• Like 6

So no Ju Da, Baek Kyung , and Do Hwa in the end. Whats the point of showing Nam ju in the new story when they didn't show the others. I'm sure that this is a new Manwha in the end but whats the point of flipping everyones role from side to main and main to side characters if they didn't do it for the rest. Whats the point of leaving those 3 main characters out. I remembered there was a video online showing Haru and Baek Kyung filming their final scenes like a couple days ago with which i assumed baek kyung would appear at least but sadly he didnt in the ending

• Like 3

@Jillia fighting! :lol: I haven’t watched the episode yet either. However, I read the spoilers and I couldn’t help thinking of that famous quote from The Last of the Mohicans that reminds me so much of Haru’s promise to Danoh:

Spoiler

You be strong, you survive... You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you.

• Like 5

I actually don't know how to feel about the last two episodes... maybe even the last four episodes or so. There were really really good moments and very beautiful scenes, heavy with emotions and good acting...but there were also so many filler scenes and especially so many repetitive ones ... This drama should definitely have been longer and balanced by focusing on the other characters without the repetitiveness that I felt watching DanHaru. Don't get me wrong, I SHIP IT! and I get that the writer of the drama wants to highlight the fact that no matter how many times they get separated, they will always find their way to each other again...but...but...at some point everything felt as a deja vu and it had a lesser impact on me. 

I wish I saw less of Kyung torturing Danoh and more of him being conflicted and growing up...l don't care about Namju but I feel so bad for him being such an uninteresting character, I want to know who he is beyound what the writer of the manhwa made him to be...he should have become selfaware! I wanted more Juda, she was soooo interesting and then how she just chose the easy way out, I felt a bit bitter about it but it still is a very interesting choice .... I wish I saw more Dohwa, I love him the most in this drama because he felt consistant and he was the sweetest bests boy till the end. More SaeMi and Suchul and I wished she would apologize for her behavior..cuz she was quite horrible to Joda no?.. more of the other minor characters ... they had so much potential!!!

I keep reading posts here and there written by people that are disappointed or angry and I be like "ouch! nothing but the truth!"

Then I read posts written by people that are happy and completely satisfied and I be like "right! that's true!"

Maybe I need to watch the episodes again to make a proper opinion but surely I enjoyed the the first half of the drama the most because it was so THRILLING. And because of that this drama remains really good even if I don't know how to feel about its second half. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Neunji said:

So no Ju Da, Baek Kyung , and Do Hwa in the end. Whats the point of showing Nam ju in the new story when they didn't show the others. I'm sure that this is a new Manwha in the end but whats the point of flipping everyones role from side to main and main to side characters if they didn't do it for the rest. Whats the point of leaving those 3 main characters out. I remembered there was a video online showing Haru and Baek Kyung filming their final scenes like a couple days ago with which i assumed baek kyung would appear at least but sadly he didnt in the ending

It's giving me a headache as well! I wonder if Kyung got his own manhwa, a thriller perhaps haha?! and if Juda and DoHwa are the leads of a romcom manhwa as well...flowers for you maybe?! So by only showing Namju, the writer is highlighting that she is done with him. He got his happy ending in Secret so now he is an extra that is semi significant or even insignificant (a bit too noticeable tho?!). So maybe she isn't done yet with the other three and she is keeping them for her future manhwas? As for DanHaru she recycled them ASAP in this new manhwa as nameless extras because she probably got tired of them messing up her stories every time lol so she is giving them full free will to spend time with each other and leave her alone xD Idk the plot of this drama will forever be as interesting as confusing...

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

@kawaiibooty yeah I agree the second half dragged a bit and got repetitive.  BK’s redemption arc could’ve come sooner.  And JD... why did the writer regress her character in the last episode?  I would’ve been happy for her to be friends with DH, the poor boy had already moved on (and seemed happy)...why did she string him on again with the “I will date you on alternate days”?  :blink:  That didn’t make sense.

Cryptic BK’s brother seemed only there as a consolation for BK so he wouldn’t be alone in the end...  BK’s brother was unnecessary in the whole scheme of things.  Initially I thought he would be the writer’s alter ego drawn in but it doesn’t look like it.

I really wanted to know the full story of TC.  Did it just end with HR wandering around broken hearted?  JMC what happened to him in that comic?  Or BK?  Or the whole political plot?  Did BK kill JMC in the end too?  Why did BK’s brother say he was affectionate and nice (?) before?  Where did that come from?  

I wish they made the message of the drama clearer.  Heidegger reference in the end says they intended the drama to be an existential discussion.  But you have to really dig deep to find it.  It was definitely an entertaining watch.  I am glad to have discovered the new actors/actresses.  I look forward to seeing them in future projects.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

@kawaiibooty, I see the repetition of separation and memory loss for Danoh and Haru as the consequence of their constant rebellion against their creator and his story. While they wanted the freedom to live their lives and choose their own fate, that was all outside the writer’s will and therefore they had to pay a price in one way or another considering that the writer is omnipotent as only a creator can be with his creation. I understand that even 

Spoiler

in the end the writer’s will prevailed but he showed mercy to Danoh and Haru by leaving them to their own “boundless” fate. I say that’s a win.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I am curious about the book Haru left at the library, Duino Elegies.

Spoiler

DO seemed to be reading the First Elegy: "The Cry" (https://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/German/Rilke.php#anchor_Toc509812215). The poem had a reference to a woman named Gaspara Stampa (1523-1554). According to the notes:

Famous for her intense love for the young Lord of Treviso, Collaltino, which he was ultimately unable to return. She wrote some two hundred sonnets telling the story of her love for him, dying at the age of thirty-one. She was for Rilke a ‘type’ of unrequited love.

:o

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1