[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

A question for the folks about Korean ladies fashion.  Are Korean high school ladies allowed to actually wear skirts so short to school.  I am no prude but I was actually a little shocked to see how short some of the student's skirts were and how much leg they show.  I know that as a father this would make me very uncomfortable to know my daughter dressed like that.  I also found it interesting that their was such a wide variety of different shirts, blouses, dresses, skirts, jackets, etc that one could wear and still be counted as wearing a uniform.  I thought the whole point of wearing uniforms was to make everyone the same and be less able to make class distinctions between the wealthy and poor so that everyone gets treated the same.  I am clearly missing something and it seems a lot more noticeable in this series compared to some other school series. 

• Like 3

large_34032cf9d6c3e19625b453d38babd87934b9a92c.jpeg

Rowoon has proven that he is an idol who can act well. 

On November 14th, the 27th and 28th episode of MBC ongoing drama 'Extraordinary You' aired. The story got more exciting and Eun Danoh (played by Kim Hyeyoon) is now facing her critical health condition. Eun Danoh has to part with Baek Kyung (played by Lee Jaewook) and Haru (played by SF9's Rowoon), the two guys who have feelings towards her. 

In the episode, Haru, who believes he can change the fate given by the writer, could not hold back his tears as he watched Danoh struggling with her life. 

Rowoon immersed himself in the character and naturally teared up in front of the cameras. Thanks to his all-out acting, he was able to completely deliver the story and touch viewers' hearts. 

Fans who saw Rowoon's acting shower him with praises, leaving comments such as "He is an idol but he acts so well," "I think Rowoon will get more drama offers in the future," "It looks so real that I also teared up during the scene," and more. 

• Like 7

Another reason why “I” don’t find BK interesting or compelling is because his character is just a matter of course: his father controls, abuses and uses him but instead of rising above that and making a determination to be different to his father, he follows his natural impulses to rage against the world and anyone in his path. He shows no restraint in his behavior or struggle to overcome these impulses. That’s why I thought that perhaps there would be an improvement after Haru told him to fix himself because I thought I sensed a response from him. Kind of like he was convicted by the truth of his poor attitude and violent behavior. That would have made him more interesting to me as I see him struggle to make changes in his attitude and approach to life. 

And regarding the intrigue of good behavior vs bad behavior, I have a contrary opinion.

Take for example, a worker who complains because of something his boss did to his team. It’s natural inclination to bad mouth the boss and give vent to his feelings. It’s like trying to engage the sympathy of others to your side while simultaneously getting back at the boss. However, say if there’s another worker in that team who equally didn’t like what the boss did but didn’t bad mouth the boss nor complain about him to others. Which person would you find more interesting? The person who naturally vents to relieve his feelings or the person who shows restraint? For me, the latter because it’s not normal. Most people are complainers. That’s why I find people so interesting when they take lemon and make lemonade. It’s probably also why some people including myself really enjoy stories of individuals who overcame their bad environment rather than settling for the excuse of being a product of their environment.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 4

Thought Baek Kyung will change to a better person... Watching him to do those little things, I felt selfish... Does he really love DanOh?  Or for his own sake?  Just like what he told DanOh,  she is his everything... 

As for Haru,  he over protective... Should not change the medical report... 

Really prefer Baek Kyung's character in manga... Never force DanOh to like him. Just be with her whenever he can... 

Haru's character in manga also good. Waited for DanOh quietly... 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, larrysouth said:

A question for the folks about Korean ladies fashion.  Are Korean high school ladies allowed to actually wear skirts so short to school.  I am no prude but I was actually a little shocked to see how short some of the student's skirts were and how much leg they show.  I know that as a father this would make me very uncomfortable to know my daughter dressed like that.  I also found it interesting that their was such a wide variety of different shirts, blouses, dresses, skirts, jackets, etc that one could wear and still be counted as wearing a uniform.  I thought the whole point of wearing uniforms was to make everyone the same and be less able to make class distinctions between the wealthy and poor so that everyone gets treated the same.  I am clearly missing something and it seems a lot more noticeable in this series compared to some other school series.

I've seen HS girls in Korea in their uniforms and their skirts are that high. I don't know if the school allows it, but outside of the campus, their skirts are pretty short, maybe they hike it up when they are off campus, not sure. 

• Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, larrysouth said:

Well if we take the K-fashion as a whole, not just in the high-school setting, then generally they think that showing even a little bit of cleavage is considered to be very sexual and scandalous, but wearing ridiculously short skirts and shorts is the norm, it's not frowned upon and girlies all over Korea do wear them. Where is the logic in that I have no idea. Where I live wearing such short skirts/shorts would be considered a bit much. As for high-schools, the uniforms that I've seen when I was in S. Korea had skirts that were just above the knee, not this short as they show in the drama, but maybe that's how it was for middle schoolers. I've seen some high school girls that had short skirts but I've also noticed that some of them wear the skirts pretty high up the waist to deliberately shorten them :P As for the uniform customization, it's pretty extreme in the drama, I don't think it reflects the real world, but nowadays kids are allowed to use accessories, back in the day they would be in trouble for that but it seems that high schools are becoming more lenient. Still, I'd say a drama is a drama and it has sponsored clothing that gets styled a certain way to appeal not only to high schoolers but to all young ladies who are watching. I've already seen some girls on K-forums asking around where to buy all these bows and pins that the girls are using on their blouses. 

• Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

Baek Kyung did not kill Danoh...he did remove her Oxygen mask but put it back on when realized that he was doing the same thing to her like the previous story....Danoh just died as was intended in shadow....ans she was stable when Haru walked in

As for what I feel about Kyung....up until the revelation he has been pretty one note...atleast that's how he is written...a guy desperately holding on to his Manhwa storyline as his silver lining and Danoh as well...does he love Dan Oh, yes...in the most toxic, complicated way possible ..did he love her in Trumpet Creeper....I think he did but he was not self aware as much as he is in here...hence he regretted putting that sword in her...I must applaud Lee Jae Wook here....writers of the drama has given him a pretty black and white canvas...nuances were added by him...or else in the hands of a lesser actor, I can say with confidence, this would be a disaster...I for one liked that they pushed him to the point of almost killing Dan Oh in shadow...his burden is heavier in the shadow...that's gotta mess you up...I liked that he backed away with realization that he doesn't have to stay the same as the previous Manhwa...where selfishness, ego drove every part of his actions, its up to him to do things differently....It also gives me hope that he will be the one reuniting Dan Oh with Haru...we will have to wait and watch

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

2 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

Baek Kyung did not kill Danoh...he did remove her Oxygen mask but put it back on when realized that he was doing the same thing to her like the previous story....Danoh just died as was intended in shadow....ans she was stable when Haru walked in

As for what I feel about Kyung....up until the revelation he has been pretty one note...atleast that's how he is written...a guy desperately holding on to his Manhwa storyline as his silver lining and Danoh as well...does he love Dan Oh, yes...in the most toxic, complicated way possible ..did he love her in Trumpet Creeper....I think he did but he was not self aware as much as he is in here...hence he regretted putting that sword in her...I must applaud Lee Jae Wook here....writers of the drama has given him a pretty black and white canvas...nuances were added by him...or else in the hands of a lesser actor, I can say with confidence, this would be a disaster...I for one liked that they pushed him to the point of almost killing Dan Oh in shadow...his burden is heavier in the shadow...that's gotta mess you up...I liked that he backed away with realization that he doesn't have to stay the same as the previous Manhwa...where selfishness, ego drove every part of his actions, its up to him to do things differently....It also gives me hope that he will be the one reuniting Dan Oh with Haru...we will have to wait and watch

if he didn't kill.. i bet it is his brother who killed

the brother has suddenly got more lines.. and his only objective seems to be Baek Kyung's happiness

so he killed DO.. pretty sure in trumpet also he egged on BK 

• Confused 1

@Jillia That is a very interesting theory and it does make sense.  Of course in real life it would be very difficult to do what BK did.  After my wife's heart surgery, she had about 5 different machines, twenty-two IV's, and at least 4 tubes going into her.  The slightest change in any of those things would have set off alarms and a very quick response from the medical staff.  While, I was in the hospital with my wife, she had two nurses assigned to her and out of three hours of time, I would say there was only a total of 15 minutes where I was the only person in the room but never 15 minutes straight.

I agree that BK and HR both played a role in what happened to Dan-Oh.  I think this is why Jinmiche is so strong in his urgings for all the aware characters not to mess with the stage.  His experience down this road was horrific and he wants to instill caution in anyone considering changing the stage because they can really never know what the eventual outcome will be (butterfly effect).

BK's brother.  He just gives me the creeps.  I am getting that "Children of the Corn" vibe off of him.

51eSGelIHuL._AC_SX466_.jpg

• Like 3
  • Insightful 5

6 minutes ago, Jillia said:

We need to protect Rowoon aka Ha Ru and Jung Gun Joo aka Do Hwa at all cost. These cuties were filming, Hye Yoon was there as well and so were Lee Jae Wook and Baek Hyun Sung aka Kyung's brother. :D

Ok, how is it that everyone else appears to be wearing coats and gloves but 2 of our E3 members are only wearing suit jackets?  It looks cold out there.  Let's send them warm thoughts.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, larrysouth said:

Please continue to support BK in the series and promote his cause.  I find him interesting and in the end we should at least be hoping for his eventual turn around

O I am not put off :D.  Robust discussions are where it’s at.  My analysis of BK was very long and probably a lot of it would’ve been covered piecemeal through this thread and in various other sites already so I sent it to the interested reader in a message as a result.

What really piqued my interest about BK was the fact that the screenwriters of this drama decided to paint him in such a bad light.  Especially seeing his webtoon counterpart was supposedly a lot softer and grey.  In contrast HR has zero flaws and is pretty straightforward and obvious.  Why would they do that?  So my interest in BK’s character set up was therefore elevated because I am also wondering how the screenwriter will choose to redeem him, if at all.  Maybe he will be like Gollum.  :lol:  But Lord of the Rings wasn’t among the list of books on the shelf used as inspirations for this drama.  The only character in that list that I can see being so tarnished as a character is Shylock.  He was given the chance to proffer mercy but he chose not to give it.  

@celebrianna

Your example about complaining workers is interesting.  In the context of this drama then, the boss would be the writer.  So far, HR is the only one who hasn’t “complained” about the boss/writer.  Everyone else has blamed the boss for their situation.  So he’s the one who is the most interesting then because he’s bucked the trend.  One could argue he really has nothing to complain about because he has no family breathing down his neck (no expectations familial or societal), he has no home, no bills to pay - he lives in the school library doing what he wants all the time. :lol:  There are really no expectations at all placed on him.  He is a totally free agent.  His only reason for existence is DO.  He has no reason to complain really.  Conversely that also makes him very unrealistic as a character?  That’s why he always seemed otherworldly for me because someone like him doesn’t exist in real life.  Everyone born into the world has some form of external expectations placed on them by family or society.  But his character is interesting in that he approaches the “problem” of DO’s health differently.  He doesn’t curse the writer, he doesn’t bemoan the circumstances or how unfair it is, he works with what he’s been given and “experiments” to enact change within those parameters.  He doesn’t look at the perceived parameters and just wallow in despair.  He remains undaunted in the face of setbacks.  So if you want to go really meta with it then HR’s character is the one to aspire to be like.  Everyone has been allotted a certain “set up” in life, you can choose to bemoan how someone else has it better than you and therefore excuse yourself from living your best life given the parameters, or you can choose to be like HR/DO, they were at their happiest when they forgot about trying to “change” her set up, when they stayed in the moment and lived the best life they could with the time allotted to them.  Quality of life Vs Quantity.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

finally got to watch lates episodes. frankly I have been hesitating after reading some spoilers.... so yeah really heartbreaking two hour for our characters. So sad seeing how Dan oh trying to be so brave even though she is so scared and ended with death in the shadow... Seeing Haru going true the turmoil of even thinking killed her. But wow BK move his sword. for all the big words he is spitting to Haru in the end he should be the one with biggest guilt. I wonder if this gonna turn him around to do the right things, or become even worse.... 

I see many people say ep. 25-26 did no have any plot movement. om some way I agree. But to me that episode was about how our characters deal with terminal illness and their fears. really speak true about what people and their loved one is going true mentally. I am glad drama writer gave time for this for Dan oh, Haru and BK. sometime I think we are waiting for plot point after plot point so we forget to dive into our characters psychology. to me this is important for us to understand them and what they are thinking. I just really love Dan oh positive attitude even in her worst state. I need a little bit of her spirit.  :phew:

I hope after so much misery next week is looking up on us in a more happy place and that our characters are happy. 

• Like 4

@nrllee your analysis about Haru is spot on....Its not in his control that he is an Extra with sole purpose of being a friend/lackey to Kyung...so he has no family, house or relations, what is surprising is he doesn't care much about that....his friendships are all through Dan Oh...Saemi, Sochul and Deo Hwa all know him via Dan Oh....if you lay out the fact the only reason he even attempted to change the stage for Deo Hwa was because of Dan Oh...he is not particularly invested in anything else....he always sits alone, he is not particularly friendly like Deo Hwa or Jin Michae or does not seek them out....Dan Oh on the other hand has a dad, friends, family and all of that mean something to her...in other words as magical as it all looks...their relationship is off balance in a way...I always found it odd.....don't get me wrong, I love them together....but where is it all headed?? I sometimes wonder that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

Btw in the conversation with his brother it almost sounded like Kyung wants to kill himself in the shadows? So maybe that's foreshadowing what will happen in the end? But that's a stretch. I really can't predict how this drama is going to end.

Interesting theory. This triggers my thought, 

Spoiler

We know from the webtoon that DH killed himself in the shadow out of guilt for what his family has done to JD. The drama tends to adapt some parts of the webtoon and apply it in different way to the drama. So what if they use this trope for BK instead of DH? What if BK in TC killed himself in the shadow out of guilt for what he's done to HR, DO, and his own brother JMC? BK might start to gain his awareness in TC. And the last look when he pulled his hand out of the sword after killing DO, it could be confusion, shock, or guilt. His step bro who witness BK's suicide in TC and know that it's actually not BK's fault because the mastermind of all that is his father (the minister) and BK can only move the way the writer wanted it, felt bad for BK. Therefore he wants to protect BK in secret manhwa so that BK doesnt have to go to the same pain.

We havent seen the closure of TC yet. Did the manhwa end with BK becoming a king? Then what about HR? I think they need to put a closure of what happened with HR and BK after DO's death in TC. This may give answers to how HR can come to secret and how BK bro seems to know it all, and like JMC, insists on keeping the story as the way the writer draws it.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

2 hours ago, bee_wannabe said:

We havent seen the closure of TC yet. Did the manhwa end with BK becoming a king?

In the confrontation scene between Squid and BK at the lockers with Squid’s past love, she was holding a comic with a pink cover. I think she’s reading TC. :) so maybe we will find out through her.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

4 hours ago, Jillia said:

Btw in the conversation with his brother it almost sounded like Kyung wants to kill himself in the shadows? So maybe that's foreshadowing what will happen in the end? But that's a stretch. I really can't predict how this drama is going to end.

tbh if kyung ends up killing himself in the shadows for all the guilt he feels for doing that in secret and in trumpet creeper it wouldn't feel like a satisfying end to his character?? he did alot of wrong things to all the characters especially to dan oh and haru and it would be better if he atleast asked them for forgiveness than just choosing to forget everything (it would be really tormenting on harus side to have him the only aware one on what has went on with everything while kyung and dan oh enjoys the bliss of ignorance and unawareness, its unfair) but then again, i can see it happening with kyungs selfish tendencies but i hope they dont do that T___T (or atleast his brother doesnt attempts to do that to him to make hin forget everything and restore the balance of the manhwa) 

• Like 5

Why does he keep creeping up uninvited! He does not even say hello just goes right into questioning mode!

---------------------

Some Random thoughts : Haru would be aware that someone tipped the handle of his sword forward at the time it happened. So I hope he becomes aware of that incident in an objective way soon enough!

Maybe DO will have to fall off the stairs again to become self aware!! Haru will be there to catch her I hope!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2