[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

I am having trouble understanding Baek Kyung's character. He is showing care for Dan Oh and on the other hand getting angry at Haru who wants to change the stage to save Dan Oh's life. Is his jealousy more important than the life of the person he likes? He is always talking about how he wants to change the story to make Dan Oh like him but not once he said anything about changing her terminal illness set up. Hey Baek Kyung you know right that a dead person cannot love you. Though from the preview it seemed like he will work together with Haru to change Dan Oh's story. Well better late than never. Still last two episodes was very frustrating to watch.

After "Secret" ends can the writer please make DanHaru leads or secondary leads in his/her next work or all future works which is even better. He won't have to worry about his story changing :D We still have 4 episodes left so we might see the surgery next episode and aftermath of the  surgery on episode 14. They will still have two episodes to show everything properly. I don't want our couple to meet in another manwha and just smile at each other. There is no way I'd be satisfied with it and I don't want think anyone else will be too. Greedy viewers B)

@nrllee Above all they will have problem with their identity. Nobody will know them. They wouldn't have house and money. Their qualifications will be of no use. They will just be poor and strange people :lol:

But wouldn't it be better if self aware characters actually come into the real world. They will no longer be controlled by anyone and can live their life the way they want. Haru-Danoh and Dowha-Jooda can also like each as much as they want :wub:

• Like 14

i think by what haru meant in changing dan ohs stage so she doesnt have to die is by sacrificing himself in place of dan oh, just like what kyung said that every changed stage needs a stand-in who could fill in for the role that is supposed to be played :( but then again in whatever universe they are in the writer keeps killing dan oh, does the writer hate dan oh that much? (also saeguk haru seems to be the one who ends dan ohs life hence why jinmichae says its a tragedy and dan oh is someone he can never protect) 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 6

23 minutes ago, nimon said:

i think by what haru meant in changing dan ohs stage so she doesnt have to die is by sacrificing himself in place of dan oh, just like what kyung said that every changed stage needs a stand-in who could fill in for the role that is supposed to be played :( but then again in whatever universe they are in the writer keeps killing dan oh, does the writer hate dan oh that much? (also saeguk haru seems to be the one who ends dan ohs life hence why jinmichae says its a tragedy and dan oh is someone he can never protect)

I  think the writer didn't want to kill Dan Oh in Flower. He might have wanted Kyung to use Dan Oh and than gradually fall for Dan Oh type of story. But Haru interfered and that's why the writer had to change the story and kill Dan Oh. Maybe that's why Jinmichae doesn't want to Haru to change anything this time. Like @brielover said it's a school romance manwha and maybe Dan Oh will live in the end.

If Haru sacrifices himself to save Dan Oh and then reappears again like last time would he forget Dan Oh again and lose self awareness? Don't want such mess in the end 

The drama will surely have happy ending after all it's teen romance drama and they never said it's going to tragic or sad when promoting it. I am still feeling anxious about the ending as Kdramas have a habit of ruining their dramas with terrible ending.

• Like 6

Actually, I have the impression that as long as JiMinchae and BK don't change anything, there will be a tragedy, as in reality, the tragedy happened because of their indifference or their selfishness. In the last episode, JiMinchae blamed BK for his misery saying that BK had changed something so that he ended up losing everything. And this admission is important as it proves that JMC is more afraid of any change than anything else. He believes that his fate is predetermined and can not be changed. That way, he won't lose anything and won't get hurt. 

From the beginning, our cook confided to DO that she wouldn't be able to change anything. In other words, he was pointing out her powerlessness and her inability. He denied that as a character, DO had the strength to change the script. Later, our "cook" advised DO not to change anything which illustrates that he had actually lied to her. He warned her that by changing the stage, she or someone else could end up paying for the change. This new point represents a contradiction to his previous statement.

Furthermore, he blamed HR for being responsible for the future misery... Consequently we can observe that JMC is blaming HR and BK for the tragedy and his misery. I don't have the impression that JMC really cares for DO. He knows her fate and accepts it as such because this doesn't concern him at all.

I have the impression that JMC might have even switched his place with NMJ in order to escape from his fate. He might have believed that if he was no longer the son of that powerful group, then he wouldn't need to fight and he wouldn't experience any pain and loss. NMJ's mother mentioned the word "secret" to her son twice and this is no coincidence. But the writer let the new student appearing and she is linked to JMC's tragedy in Trumpet Creeper. In other words, even by switching his place, JMC will meet his fated loved one. He can not escape.    

• Like 6
  • Insightful 4

I like the theories being thrown out here and some philosophy as well. 

Putting on the spoiler for the respect who didn't watch the latest episode.

Spoiler

For the first two episode of the week (21-22) Looks like they're giving us fluff since something is coming. As for Do Hwa I agree with some posters here, he's the biggest DanOh-Haru shipper. Dan Oh is still nice to Baek Hyung I think she can be a good friend to him but as a love/partner that won't work. As for Joo Da, looks like she's spunky and tired of all the writer's on what she's doing on stage. 

For the last part of the episode the acting is very top notch from KYH pleasing and enamored look to Rowoon's emotional realization and LJW hearbreak plus loneliness is really top notch. It's also nice to see DSF role in the "trumpet creeper" manhwa. Especially the dynamic between him and BaekKyung. Also Haru is really different in this manhwa as well.

For the second episode of the week (23-24) I liked the "Trumpet Creeper" parts. Especially it was revealed that Haru is the one who was aware of himself first. Also the DanOh was aware as herself as well. It's nice to see the parallels between the "Trumpet Creeper" and "Secret" manhwa. As for the stage, the effect I think just reset since it already started. Nice to see the 3 "Extra Musketeers" on action like they have a mission to do. Haru's dedication and love for Dan Oh is really a person who values (DanOh). I do have sympathy for Baek Kyung but it's up to him how would he proceed forward, but the looks of it still not good.  The ending part where they're hugging and saw something (Dan Oh on her death and on Haru side on how Dan Oh's life ended in "Trumpet Creeper"is really emotional and powerful performance for both KYH and Rowoon. 

Can't wait for the last 4 episodes.  I would remember this as one of my favorite k-drama for 2019 (with Sky Castle and Hotel De Luna).

• Like 11

At the end of Extraordinary You, I'm hoping someone very skillful can come and edit all Trumpet Creeper scenes together and make a mini movie for us. #wishfullyhoping 

I would love to watch all those parts together. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

@stargazer187 

Daydream (Junkilla)

Something about you is different
Found what the others were missing
Can’t believe I waited for this long
To feel something so strong

You got me spinning in circles now
I’m already giving up all my doubts
Cause if this is real then I want more

Your love is like a daydream
You keep me high in your fantasy
Ooh, Wide awake in my sleep
Don’t wake me, don’t wake me up
Captivating my reality
Oh, Close my eyes seeing things
Don’t wake me up
Don’t wake me up
Don’t wake me up

Minutes and hours I’m dreaming
And now I know you’re the reason
Everything hasn’t felt this right
For the longest time

You got me spinning in circles now
I’m already giving up all my doubts
Cause if this is real then I want more

You keep me high in your fantasy
Ooh, Wide awake in my sleep
Captivating my reality
Oh, Close my eyes seeing things
Don’t wake me up
Don’t wake me up
Don’t wake me up

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Why is there so much foreshadowing going on?

When Ha Ru woke up from the dream he was in the English lesson and the teacher said following sentence as an example:

"When I arrived there, the tragic stage had already finished."

@Jillia

Yesss, I immediately thought of their sad scene in "Trumpet Creeper". 

My assumptions here, but Haru is staged/ordered? to kill? Dan Oh. And before he can stop himself, the tragic actions of killing Dan Oh had already been done. And it was probably too late when he was able to move to stop himself, hence the cut on his hand. 

Although, I want to think of other theories and not poor Haru as the one who killed Dan Oh.  T.T

Also thanks for fixing the Instagram Link. Total noob here. Lol

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 9

32 minutes ago, Jillia said:

@egv

I actually think we're supposed to believe it's Ha Ru who kills Dan Oh but in the preview the sword we see isn't Ha Ru's sword. It could be Kyung's.

Here some screenshots...

Ha Ru's sword:

The sword we see in the dream/preview:

I think since we now learn a lot of about changing the stage by adding/removing things in the shadow, maybe something like this happened in "Trumpet Creeper". Plus Jinmichae told Kyung it was something HE did, not Ha Ru. So... maybe Kyung found out about the love between Dan Oh and Ha Ru and is ambushing them but something goes wrong and Dan Oh dies. At Ha Ru's hand or maybe someone else's hand.

I was thinking maybe Kyung incites a fight to the death with Haru, and Dan Oh, because Stage dictates that she loves Kyung, throws herself between them to save Kyung from Haru's killing blow.  She dies for a love she never had, at the hands of her lover, who tries to literally pull the sword back with his other hand.

Man, Haru's remorse but also bitterness towards the writer would know no bounds.

2 hours ago, Jillia said:

I've noticed a couple things while watching and rewatching. First of all:

Is nobody suspicious that suddenly a new manhwa appears in the manhwa? The one Do Hwa has been reading. It's called 장미꽃을 그대에게 (A Rose for You). Do Hwa is reading it and is promoting it as something to learn how to flirt from.

Now of course we could say that even in the world of "Secret" manhwas exist. But I would say if we really believe that things are still controlled by the writer I can't imagine it's a coincidence that Do Hwa aka the drama keeps showing us this specific one. Also, who do we know in this drama aka manhwa who doesn't need any lessons in flirting? Yes, it's Ha Ru. So could it be that:

Hide contents

Since "Trumpet Creeper" ends on a sad note, so will "Secret" but just like in the webtoon Dan Oh and Ha Ru will meet in another manhwa as the leads (I think in the webtoon they're extras?) and have their happy ending there?

Of course:

Hide contents

It could also hint towards Baek Kyung since he gave roses to Dan Oh. So he may end up in a new manhwa as well and finally get the girl (which hopefully isn't a 2nd  Dan Oh... that would be weird).

On the other hand, the manhwa only appeared in the shadows and never on stage. So it might be not relevant at all. And I might be overthinking. :D But "Trumpet Creeper" also only appears in the shadow.

What a saccharine sweet cover. I wouldn't be caught dead reading it.  Thank goodness Dohwa's reading it for dating advice not pleasure.  Just goes to show if all Haru and Dan Oh get is a happ y ending, it wouldn't be much of a story.  Put them out to pasture.

But covers can be deceiving.  The title reminded me most of Flowers for Algernon and A Rose For Emily, both very disturbing stories.  The first might have a vague tie in with the protagonist first 'awaking' then sleeping again. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 8

Hold still my heart! The only thing Haru fears is a world that doesn’t have Eun Dan Oh in it while his own existence is of no consequence to him. The love he feels for her is so selfless and unconditional while Baek Young always makes everything about himself. Even he is shook by Haru’s declaration and it almost appearss as if, deep down, BY wanted to be like Haru but some inherent part of him prevented him.

3c99c0e0f000f92e26e6f3bd35ecf1b3b78a2899.png

It really makes such a perfect, yet heartbreaking sense why Haru is so ready to make himself out of the equation for Dan Oh’s sake - be it in the previous manhwa or now, he never had anything; no family, no friends, no home. It’s therefore only natural that she would become the center of his universe. 

When Haru stands up to Baek Young, it’s such an epic moments because while previously he was always defending only Dan Oh, now, he is actually standing up for himself. He basically declares that he isn’t the writer’s puppet, not matter how much some people want him to be or push him into that role. IT WASN’T THE WRITER WHO GAVE HIS LIFE A REASON, IT WAS DAN OH. IT WASN’T THE WRITER WHO MADE HIM LOVE DAN OH, IT WAS HIS CHOICE. His alone and no one else’s, be it in the previous webtoon, or now.

The conviction with which Haru is ready to give up his own existence to protect Dan OH might seem shocking until you realize that he can’t live in a world without her. She gives his life a meaning so when he’s protecting her, he is also fighting for his right to live.

a097a4d1d2ec85253ed235bf44a9e9faf1d45fd6.png

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Love 9
  • Insightful 2

I think HR killed DO but it was not deliberate and he grabbed the sword with his left hand to stop it but it was too late. But the scene doesn’t look like a sword fight. It starts off with guards surrounding figures kneeling? DO’s father is supposed to take BK’s side in his desire for power. It could well be that he refused? And BK decides to kill him? HR does the killing for him so as he steps forward to kill DO’s father, DO steps in and dies in his stead.

29-F9-AE4-E-B014-4-DBD-8158-4-A7938-AAFA

So I think what’s happened is that just as in Secret, DO and HR fall in love in TF. As they attempt to change the stage, the wedding between Kyung and DO is called off (just like the most recent stage scene in Secret with the proposal). The marriage alliance falls flat. Kyung no longer has the allegiance of DO’s father (which was why he insisted on marrying DO in the first place) so he chooses to kill him just like he did the other official who refused to take his side. This chain of events therefore leads to DO sacrificing herself to save her father. Had the wedding moved forward, this tragic end would not have eventuated..

That’s why JMC is so adamant that the stage isn’t changed in Secret.  DO is meant to stay by BK’s side.  If she stays, she lives.  If she doesn’t, she dies.

• Like 8
  • Sad 6
  • Insightful 7

Something that is funny here. Dunno whether you feel the same way or not. But you all must notice it too. It's a manhwa where they set to live in an monarch age. I know that Joseon is the nation after silla and Goryeo ended right? So Joseon is much modern than the two. And they're not in Joseon, much more like in Goryeo. So how could they blatantly show that super sophisticatedly colorful printed-manhwa in that time? Isn't it supposed to be something like a sketch book, LOL. And how in the world that the writer's book reaches onto its characters' hands. Well.. well... just for laugh, I don't mean to be serious with it. Other parts are well done tho.

I noticed that too instead of being amazed by that kind of book with that kind of ink, picture, and paper, they are more shocked by the fact that they are manhwa character. :lol: Did word manhwa or manhwa book even exist in that era? I thought they used to only have novel with no pictures.

From the beginning there are a lot of questionable things i found while watching this drama. Another one i found after watching ep 12 is how can the proposal stage happens normally with BK video when DH clearly has substituted the flash drive and take the initial fd BK give. Only after HR directly interferes the stage can the stage change and the other video from the other fd is played. The sequence just does't make sense to me. But then i decided to just enjoy the show. So far for me EY is good enough even with its flaws, it just needs to wrap up well with the remaining 4 episodes and this will be one of my favorite dramas of the year.  

Just like we are deceived by last week preview into believing that JMC back story with the girl would be revealed this week, i think DO surgery will happen in the final week.

I love all the discussion, thoughts and insights on this thread, keep it going good people.

I want to post this compilation of DO hitting HR. It's funny how the video ends with HR pulling out his sword to DO and the caption for that post means is this the reason DO was killed in the past

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

I really find it intriguing that both female leads (DO/JD) and second male leads (HR/DH) in the "writer's" webtoon (Secret/Trumpet Creeper) became self aware and had fallen instead with each other. This just shows that in the fantasy world (stage) majority of females tend to like the bad boy type as shown in sooooo many kdrama examples but in real life (shadow) females prefer the kind and loving type more. The reference to this specific drama trope is really funny and satisfying because no girl will really like someone who is always a jerk to her much more have a 10 year unrequited love.

As for HR killing? DO, it reminds me of something in the webtoon.

Spoiler

In the webtoon, JMC falls for someone other than the female lead. I assume she's the second female lead or an extra. Both of them are self - aware as well. But when the stage started, JMC killed the one he's in love with. He doesn't have a choice since that is the stage. He only realized it when the stage is over and he saw the girl he loved dying in his own hands. I don't know if they will do the same thing in the drama but the parallels are there. I think BK will order HR to kill DO and since it's in the stage he will follow but when the stage ended he will see DO dying at the end of his sword that's why in the scene, he is holding the blade trying to pull it away from her and that's where he also got his scar from. I also think that is the reason as to why HR suddenly appeared in Secret. He is unconsciously looking for and waiting for DO since they had a sad ending in the Trumpet Creeper and that's why the trumpet creeper flower is always resonating with him. Because it signifies his will to wait for DO forever.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

Let us not forget the importance of BK's father in both manhwas. The father is the one who advises or forces BK to marry DO in order to increase his power/position. Then in both manhwas, the marriage is called off. Based on @Jillia's screenshot, 48967862c34421c3d301016af9a5a0f0c7ed0e9fBK's father/minister is present, when DO dies. So in my opinion, the minister is the one who actually causes DO to die by advising BK to  arrest DO and even kill her in order to weaken the king's support since they didn't choose BK's side. One possibility is that HR on the stage is forced to kill her. That's why JMC warned HR not to change the stage because calling off the engagement would lead to her death. In other words, this could mean that BK's father in Secret is also involved in DO's announced death and no one is aware of it. Maybe he decides to have DO died in surgery because he has found a new ally: NMJ's mother from that S. group. 

From the manhwa, we know that

Spoiler

LDW's brother was involved in the loss of JD's mother... so maybe the writer might have decided to use this trope in DO's life. And LDW's brother is forced to kill her... "stage", just like in Trumpet Creeper. In both cases, DO dies because of a cut and a knife/sword!

Since the brother was there, I suspect that he can remember the story from the Trumpet Creeper. That's why he kept pushing BK not to call off the engagement. Yet, the brother wasn't aware of the reasons why the engagement was called off in the first case and I am sure, he is still unaware why DO called off the engagement in Secret. He believes that he was the only one who was aware all this time.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 4