[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

Christ, that last scene absolutely gutted me, and I feel like this show is going to just bury me at this point. 

The whole lead up with all the flashbacks to TC, all the hints they gave in prior episodes of Danoh and Kyung's recycled lines--it was all done so damn brilliantly. Both during last week's episode and in this past one, we saw Haru grappling with memories he couldn't exactly place. Re-discovering the flower pendant, playing with Danoh by the riverside, hearing her thank him for awakening new feelings--you could see him piece together, bit by bit, the history that he has with her, and just how disconcerting it was for him to hear the same lines uttered by her across two entirely different settings. Were they dreams? Memories? He'd always known that he didn't belong in the Secret manhwa, that he didn't have the same "beginning" that others in the manhwa did with their families and their relationships and their setups; so what was he to make of all those familiar but seemingly distant memories with Danoh, where he's not who he is in the present and neither is she? 

Squid Fairy basically confirms it for Haru this episode that they are memories from another time. Add to that Haru's first concrete memory after his return, where he experiences a flashback to when Danoh had splashed him, and you could see, in a way, how he'd started rationalizing their story as a sort of star-crossed lovers scenario. The more he remembers, the more palpable his determination becomes; so then we get the culmination of that in the art room scene. 

If there's any TC moment Haru remembers with crystal clarity, it's watching silently meters away while Danoh and Kyung talk beneath the night sky (hell, they'd shown us this scene twice now). So in the art room when Danoh thanks him for presenting her with beautiful stars and thanks him for remembering her wish and it connects that these are the lines she'd once said to Kyung in the past, you can just see the heartache in his eyes. Despite how, moments earlier, he'd gently brought up their connection and how he doesn't think the author has fully determined who they are, Danoh goes and says exactly what she once had to Kyung while on stage.

Danoh is Danoh regardless of which manhwa they're in; and while who she is, is precisely why he likes and treasures her so much, it begs the question of how much control the writer of their story truly has and if they could ever author their own story together, free of that influence. I think it makes Haru's promise to find her that much more poignant... because he doesn't carry just the burden of waiting, but also of remembering each and every single desperate attempt, past and present. 

ea16a070fa2dd9d80ba4478ec9ab6c2036ed3784

© ariays

• Like 9
  • Sad 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Just straying off a little... when I read the recent scathing comments on KHY in another forum, I took some time to clear my feelings on my bias and ruminated. I would say KHY’s voice can be grating at times (not often), but I find it very difficult to see how her acting in this drama can be denigrated. I can’t help but feel really sad for KHY regarding such undeserving chides. I feel many conflicting emotions after seeing the latest episode(s), but Haru’s and DO’s tears in the “star scene” really stood out and I am gutted. 

• Like 8

I find it ironic that BK is proposing on a stage in front of their classmate. Consider stage is a symbolic word for when they are "acting" out Secret story. it is like we get the symbolic meaning of a stage couple that is faking it for the public but in private their relationship is very different. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Insightful 4

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

I usually don't like to comment on what's going on in other forums or blogs but I saw the specific post and I will only this time say something about it:

Reveal hidden contents

I find the post very emotional to a point I can't take it serious. I definitely had to get used to Dan Oh's aegyo, especially in the beginning. But I also saw it as a way of coping with her really terrible setup. I find criticising someone's voice... actually weird. What is Kim Hye Yoon supposed to do? Plus I paid extra attention to it after reading the blot post and I don't know but I think her voice is fine.

Now with the acting, I think everyone is entitled to have their opinions. If someone isn't feeling the acting by any cast member in this drama nothing can be done about it. I think as long as criticism is constructive and not insulting (the barbie/ken comment is not something I call constructive) it's absolutely fine to discuss it, even here. 

If I take away my love for the drama overall and would look at the acting I can say it's decent and even good. Those are all young actors who didn't do many projects before this drama, so they all have time to learn and mature in their skills. But I definitely did watch dramas with actors who are passed their 30s and whose acting skills are non-existent and don't reach me emotionally at all.

Every actor in this drama makes me feel something, so if they can achieve it and I forget they're actors but only see the characters then I think they've accomplished a lot. :)

I think she's failed to see that KHY has added an extra dimension to her character from anime.  I'm not an anime buff but I watched Sailor Moon and Pokemon etc with my daughter, and KHY's exaggerated voice and some of her body movements are straight out of those shows.  The fact we're feeling her emotionally anyway -it takes an amazing actress to do that in my opinion.  I liked watching Haru and Kyung crack up in the bts when she was doing it off script.  Also, I thought she was quite plain at the beginning, but I could see how every single boy would fall in love with her.  That's skill and charisma.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

I usually don't like to comment on what's going on in other forums or blogs but I saw the specific post and I will only this time say something about it:

Hide contents

I find the post very emotional to a point I can't take it serious. I definitely had to get used to Dan Oh's aegyo, especially in the beginning. But I also saw it as a way of coping with her really terrible setup. I find criticising someone's voice... actually weird. What is Kim Hye Yoon supposed to do? Plus I paid extra attention to it after reading the blot post and I don't know but I think her voice is fine.

Now with the acting, I think everyone is entitled to have their opinions. If someone isn't feeling the acting by any cast member in this drama nothing can be done about it. I think as long as criticism is constructive and not insulting (the barbie/ken comment is not something I call constructive) it's absolutely fine to discuss it, even here. 

If I take away my love for the drama overall and would look at the acting I can say it's decent and even good. Those are all young actors who didn't do many projects before this drama, so they all have time to learn and mature in their skills. But I definitely did watch dramas with actors who are passed their 30s and whose acting skills are non-existent and don't reach me emotionally at all.

Every actor in this drama makes me feel something, so if they can achieve it and I forget they're actors but only see the characters then I think they've accomplished a lot. :)

Your defense of KHY was just perfect.

I went through the other blog after hearing about it from the comments here... and found it wholly preposterous. The way they kept saying how HY was reaching for too much by getting the role of a female lead. They were like she should stick to supporting roles, and that she was not'pretty' enough to be the female lead.

The whole post made me feel highly incensed, and at first I wanted to reply to each of those derogatory comments, but then decided to give up.

So your post here makes me feel really relieved.

• Like 4
  • Love 4

When Haru made that star curtain for Dan Oh Aww my Heart :wub:Curtain stars is so beautiful and romantic

That ending with Haru’s tears is so emotional.

Let Beak kyung find happiness please:tears::tears:The chemistry between the him and the female lead is so good. Meanwhile Haru's and the female lead  This is a stupid situation where the bad boy is finally the second lead... but we're all having the syndrome anyway:cold_sweat::bawling:

Lets not forget our Main leads JD and NJ i miss the glowing when they met NJ come to ur sense please and also JD accept the boy already he is suffering enough from the hand of the mother  

• Like 3

Ep 11. The teacher in class talked about Alphonse Daudet’s short story The Stars
http://www.saigonline.com/truc_huy/stars_daudet.htm

It’s beautiful. Pathetic restraint. And it fits well with the HR and DO story… there’s the ever present water motif (does DO drown in the end? :tears:)... he a poor shepherd, she the mistress. He from up above (mountains), she from the plains below. She visits him, he explains the stars… there’s talk about stars marrying. He with noble thoughts only despite spending the night together. They share a moment alone looking at the stars. Shooting stars are spoken of as souls who enter Paradise… is that to be DO?

• Like 9

@Sanju98, I thought KHY was “extra” pretty when she showed up in front of Haru at his locker in the episode last night. I admit beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think KHY is very pretty and she fits the lead in this show. I know she’s a little extra when she’s perky and excited but I see it as part of her character. I really enjoy her Danoh. 

• Like 12

1 minute ago, celebrianna said:

@Sanju98, I thought KHY was “extra” pretty when she showed up in front of Haru at his locker in the episode last night. I admit beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think KHY is very pretty and she fits the lead in this show. I know she’s a little extra when she’s perky and excited but I see it as part of her character. I really enjoy her Danoh. 

Agree, her looks really grew on me... 

• Like 5

Also, Danoh is terminally ill and I like the way she’s not gloomy. Instead she chooses to have a bright attitude. There’s a saying that you might not feel happy but if you act happy then those feelings of happiness will come along. Danoh’s attitude toward her circumstances always remind me of that saying. Perhaps she read one of those books that @Jillia mentioned where the author talked about enjoying the things we take for granted in the busyness of our lives like watching the sunset, taking walks in the mountain, etc. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

So do I

which is why I could not understand why those commentors kept disparaging her looks

She's simply adorable

• Like 7