[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

@celebrianna @Jillia I'm not very fond of such ending but I prefer them over sad ones. I just feel bad for the characters in the current timeline because they didn't get to be happy now as themselves. In other dramas, they usually get reborn and meet and get their happily ever after but essentially they are not the same people anymore. Their journey, memories and feelings are different. The experiences that made them who they are, that made me love them, are all gone and they feel more distant to me. I also think that for me personally  the dissatisfaction with this 'in the next life' ending hits very close to home. In the latest years I've often thought that there are some things I won't be able to do or experience in this life and at least I hope to do all of that in my next life, if I get reborn. Every time I've had such thoughts, I always felt very sad so if someone told me that 'you'll die soon but you'll be very happy in your next life', I wouldn't be happy or hopefull, insead I'd feel very sad about this current life of mine because it's honestly such a pity... I think anyone would rather be happy now than in the next life. 

In the case of EY, I'd be satisfied if they get reborn in another manhwa but retain their memories from their Secret time. 

• Like 9

Some questions:

Spoiler

On Haru changing the stage with Sae Mi's scene:

Spoiler

There's something that keeps bothering me that I was hoping you guys could help me understand: Haru removing Dan Oh's watch before the Stage.

What I do know:

• The purpose of the scene was to let Kyung see that he doesn't have as much control/freedom like Haru (or if any, at all)
  • This was similar to the party scene where DO's storyboard showed NJ and JD, but the Stage had changed to Kyung making the announcement. The storyboard's dialogues didn't change and it still ended up happening as planned, but the characters changed.
  • That the Stage that was being set up supposedly was supposed to have DO's monitor have her collapse and Kyung will be coming

My questions:

• I thought it was strange that Haru and DO had time before the stage started, but I guess it was because they were already in the setting where the Stage was supposed to happen? Perhaps I'll rewatch other episodes, but from what I remember, usually, Team Aware is suddenly just brought to when the scene is already happening.
  • By switching the watch, how did the role suddenly transfer to Sae Mi? I noticed that after the Stage ends, DO is seen collapsed as if she was hurt. This is my biggest question: DO's monitor was beeping but she herself wasn't in pain in the Shadow, but when the Stage ended, Haru was hurriedly carrying a collapsed DO to safety. But if the watch was on Sae Mi (i.e. Haru switching the Stage prop), why did DO collapse regardless?

I hope my question(s) made sense, because even while rereading it now I think it just made it even more confusing :sweatingbullets:.

This particular snippet:

Spoiler

oEZaA8T.png

Did I miss the part showing how he got it back? The last time we saw it was during the camp, and he was hurt after holding it. He's holding it now, but he's not affected. I know the box where the pendant was kept was in the emporium-like place that DanHaru went for a date to in Ep.9 so maybe he got it there?

After watching the previews, I'm curious as to how much agency does the Aware Team really have -- specifically the BaekDanHaru team, since they're from a different manhwa. This thought occurred to me during the water splashing scene and Haru's flashback, since Secret!DO said the same exact line from Flower!DO. Although...we weren't able to tell (yet) whether or not Haru's flashback was from the Stage or Shadow versions of themselves. It bring up the following question as well whether or not DanHaru's love is just a repeat of their already written story from Flower or rather them falling in love as if for the first time after being rebirthed into Secret.

With the appearance of JMC's lover, I too hope that he will begin to have a more active role. I do wonder how the drama will end, or rather, to what conclusion is the drama trying to get to. From the synopsis, it implied that it was to change DO's fate, to prevent her from dying and finding a way for her to live her life, so I hope we stick to that (since the focus has been going to the direction of Haru's past lately). I'm most excited for Kyung's role in all of this because while he was a jerk these last couple of episodes, I feel like things are looking up for him. The drama writers have been really setting up Kyung as an antagonistic role so there definitely has to be a reason behind that and what it has to do with DO's fate both in Flower and Secret. I do feel bad for the guy (sometimes :sweatingbullets:) -- both DO and DH talk about how Haru does this or that all the time with him, and every time the stage changes DO immediately runs away to look for Haru (although understandably so since her condition is getting worse by the day and would rather spend her remaining time to cherish her moments). There was that scene where he was in deep thought after Haru changed the stage with Sae Mi wearing the watch, and he let the tennis ball go instead of catching it. To me, it implied that maybe he's on the road to acceptance, that after seeing Haru visibly changing the stage, he'll come to terms with that fact that though unexplainable, only Haru can change it and end up collaborating with Haru on changing her fate in the future episodes (and please let DH join too!).

For webtoon readers:

Spoiler

I read that Kyung wasn't meant to be DO's fiance in Flower for the webtoon version, but from the looks of the preview, the drama version has him his as her fiance as well. I haven't actually read the webtoon and only read random bits of information circulating around, so I wanted confirmation because this might change the dynamics in the drama vers. vs. how it played out with the original setup in the webtoon. 

Edited by haelan
Added missing picture
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 7

Okay, finally found some time to spare to talk a lil about the last episode. 

First of all, I am satisfied with the way the first kiss turned out. Since this is a high school setting, I was afraid it'd be some kind of lifeless emotionless kiss. But it was good. Not too steamy, not tasteless...Just right! and beautifully shot, especially how they lit Danoh's face when she initiated it....ah! I love the fact that she did. BUT OH GOD THE BEHIND THE SCENES ARE SO CUTE! nobody seems to resist HyeYeaon's cuteness not even the staff xD and she and Rowan were so nervous lol 

I love the side characters in the drama. I love SeMi and her guy friend probably future BF . She is so enjoyable to watch and I really hope that she wakes up and apologizes to Jooda for the bullying. I honestly don't think she in her core is a bully, but rather simple minded, so quite easy to manipulate by the writer. Idk. At least I hope so cuz she is quite cute with Danoh and Haru. I can't say that much about Back kyung who has proven being just as much of a jerk in the shadow >_> he tries yeah but TRY HARDER DAMN IT BOY! also get therapy! 

The episode was fully of heart fluttery moments and I am so happy we got our FoxHaru back. I can't wait for the future kisses I know he can be more daring

The scene that made my heart flutter the most tho is surprisingly not a Haru x Danoh scene but THAT DoHwa x JooDa hug. Ugh! It was so beautiful and the confrontation that lead to it was heartbreaking. Now I kinda want Jooda to be bad in an understandable way. Like, if she is preventing Danoh and Haru from changing the story, I want it be told and shown in a manner that we would be slightly conflicted, you know? Cuz her character is so pitiful!!! She had quite the horrible life. However...she seems to question wether her happy ending is indeed what the writer has set up for her. And those longing and yearning lol stares she gives DoHwa...And for the sake of my baby DoHwa as well...I now kinda don't want her to turn out as her description on that MBC website ugh but I know it's set so I'm kinda sad

• Like 12

Ska-rmavbild-2019-11-01-kl-14-06-33.png

This was my favourite scene. The whole episode was so beautiful, I can't even tell you how many times i rewatched it haha

The way that they look at each other is breathtaking. I loved how flustered Danoh was and how Haru smiled at her when he realised it was because of him :wub: The kiss was perfect, but i loved most how they tried to find their way back to each other. So so touching. I could go on all day haha...Is it Wednesday yet?? 

Other part i liked was Juda and Dohwa, i love how they support each other. Juda telling Dohwa she enjoyed the violin and Dohwa rushing to find Juda when she didn't show up for work. I like that we are getting a deeper glimpse to the characters. I rewatched from episode 1 and i was thinking what a difference! I feel like the character development is really good, like a slowburn. I'm curious who Namjoo is outside of his character actually. I liked Juda's honesty about being envious, because it makes her more human and less a character. 

The only person i don't like so much aware is Baek Kyung, i don't know why. I think he is still quite difficult and mean but i really enjoy reading your comments about him, i want to understand him. I guess that's the acting skill. He is so nuanced. He clearly cares about Danoh, i just love that actor so much since WWW haha, i want to see that sweet guy again! Maybe i'll go rewatch his clips haha

Finally, it was so funny when Saemi thought that Danoh was cheating on Baek Kyung with Haru, my absolute favourite comedic scene!! :lol:

• Like 12
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1

Can I just say how I seriously love coming back to this thread?! It's been so long since I've been active in a soompi thread for an on-air show, and you all make it so worth it. 

@haelan

I'll tackle the webtoon question, but I don't think I can give much of a satisfying answer, hahah. MAJOR spoilers:

Spoiler

The reason people are saying Kyung isn't Danoh's fiance in the webtoon version of Flower is because, technically, he doesn't even show up in the Joseon-era manhwa snippet that we see. The storyline that the show is giving us right now with Danoh and Haru being star-crossed lovers from a previous manhwa is actually the Squid Fairy's original backstory...or some iteration of it.

Squid Fairy is the only character shown in the second season of the manhwa dressed in that particular era's clothing, and his story is all based around how he fell in love with an extra and started a life with her. As the writer gradually expanded his story, though, she gave him a loveline with a princess. (He had started off an assassin who became aware--primarily because the acts he was forced to commit contrasted so starkly with his own beliefs--and the extra was someone who'd found him by the riverside and given him hope that he could be more than what he did.) Neither he nor the extra could make sense of what was going on. They'd make plans to meet, and he simply wouldn't show up for days. Instead, she'd catch glimpses of him with the princess, wearing trinkets she'd given him, engaged in loving moments. Despite the fact that he'd reassure her that he loved her and that only she truly understood him, a rift grew between them.

The extra became covetous (rightfully so...) and paranoid. She broke the bracelet that the princess had given him at one point and damn near lost her mind when, in the following day, it was back on his wrist like nothing had happened. Eventually, she disguised herself as an assassin and attacked him while he was still on stage, and he cut her down. To her, it mattered more that they ended their relationship in a space where he still loved her and remembered their time most fondly, rather than to have it all lost to whatever was going on between him and the princess. Later on, he ran into the extra again, but she didn't even react to seeing him. It wasn't until that point in time that he realized he was in a comic, and that once someone "dies," they revert back to a clean slate.

It seems to me like the show's director is picking and choosing particular parts from webtoon!Squid Fairy's background to flesh out Haru and Danoh's story in the show, since neither of them actually were in a Flower/Trumpet Creeper manhwa originally. In the ending of the webtoon, Danoh and Haru are actually shown in a new manhwa, a kind of Joseon-style one together--and the logistics of that one's a bit more complicated. Kyung's nowhere to be seen in that snippet, so the assumption is they're happy in this newfound manhwa together. 

@ganko I also love that scene so much! I replayed it so many times :lol:Something that I love about this show and that I think they do particularly well are all the subtle moments of character growth. For Haru, in particular, I love that they show how reflective he is. In the scene you shared where he smiles fondly at Danoh and comments on how shy she is (like he knows exactly what the root of it is), I immediately think back to an earlier scene where they'd sat on the bench together, and she'd brushed her hand up against his face and scooted closer. He was the one who had leaned back, awkwardly shrugging distance between his face and her hand, which I think he immediately recognizes in her own reactions to him throughout last episode. I feel like you can even see that lightbulb moment when it all registers, and he's just happy about it all. 

Edited by Calligrapher
Added more details to Squid Fairy's background story
  • Like 4
  • Love 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 4

@Calligrapher AHHH THANK YOU SO MUCH!

(Re: webtoon spoilers)

Spoiler

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Before MBC world edited their spoiler-y character descriptions, I was speculating that webtoon!JMC's story became drama!Haru's. And now that JMC's girl is back into Secret, I wonder how they're going to change his story as well. Now, it seems more plausible that the theory of Haru killing DO in the Flower Stage against his will is what might really happen (and he becomes so heartbroken that he ends up killing himself as well to lose awareness and meet DO in a different universe and timeline where she's alive, just like the manhwa). I don't think it would have been Kyung himself to have created this tragedy (and honestly it will break my heart for Kyung knowing how much he's been through -- LET THE BOY GET HIS REDEMPTION ARC PLEASE), and Secret!Haru doesn't abhor any kind of hate towards him.

This is honestly so mind-blowing to me, because adding a role for drama!Haru also meant a place for a potential love triangle in the Stage. So far the stages with all 3 (Kyung, DO, and Haru) haven't implied that Haru will become some kind of second lead, but who knows where the drama is planning to go tbh! It seems they're already going in this direction toward the drama's vers. of Flower, which changes the dynamic on how the "past" Flower applies to Secret. Personally I would prefer that Haru and DO's love in Flower was in the Shadow/while they were aware, so as to go against the normal "reincarnation" route of dramas where history repeats exactly as it did in Flower. But seeing the previews, it seems that they'll go for the latter where Kyung was DO's fiance in both universes, with Haru as the second lead each time, esp. because of that part in the preview mentioning exactly that, and also the fact that the manhwa writer in the drama has been called out multiple times by our characters as unimaginative and had a knack for repeating things. I personally think that the former theory (their romance was when they aware/in the Shadow) would reinforce the theme of waiting and the symbolism of the trumpet flower more than where the drama seems to be going, since Haru will always be the one to become aware first after re-cycling through multiple universes and will always be waiting for DO to return to his side.  

AH MY HEART. As much as I'm craving even more episodes to unravel the answers, I'm also wishing it didn't have to end so soon! I'm too invested in this :tears:

Spoiler

@Calligrapher TYSM FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART FOR YOUR DRABBLES. Your content seriously keeps me alive and I coulnd't have asked for a better person to write them ♥!!!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, celebrianna said:

However, for me personally, if they kept falling in love across all their manhwa existences, I’m fine with that...like eternal love.

I think this may be where it’s headed.  The 300yo tree, the promise to meet up.  The fact that they forgot about trying to “change” DO’s fate in their hooky date and just enjoyed the moments that they do have together.  It would fit in the rubric that the writer has ultimate say in what happens on the pages of the comic, but instead of trying desperately to change their fates as predetermined by the writer, they can instead opt to love each other regardless of any scenario the writer pens?  They make the most of it whether in stage or shadow.  It means their love will transcend time and circumstance.  So rather than wasting all your emotional energy trying desperately to get what you DON’T HAVE (in DO’s case long life and changing her fate), you could instead use that time cherishing the things you ALREADY DO HAVE (precious time with a loved one - HR).

• Like 8
  • Love 2

@haelan More speculation/webtoon-spoilers:

Spoiler

Right?! I love all the ideas you've thrown out, and it's so nice to have someone else to gush with over all the possible directions the director might take! I was really surprised when they showed us the preview with JMC's extra since I'd assumed that they were basically going to push most of his background onto Haru. I'm really, really curious about how they're going to weave JMC's loveline with her into the story now, especially knowing that JMC/BK/Haru/DO all had a role to play in TC. I think people are onto something about JMC being a prince/royalty of some sort based on his clothing (with his extra dressed more like a commoner), so now I'm wondering if we're going to get hit with two impossible love stories and how, maybe, in an attempt to partner up to change their fates, they wind up causing the tragedy JMC keeps alluding to. 

And re: Kyung. Yes, I'm so, so, so, so ready for them to set his redemption arc in motion. They've really doubled down on his characterization the past few episodes; and while I appreciate how they're showing how much he's struggling with himself, at the same time, I'm ready for him to remember whatever past history he has with the others (because it's undoubtedly going to paint him in a super!antagonistic light) so he can make amends and just do good by the others and for himself. 

And I can't agree more about how much more poignant it'd be if DO and Haru's love story happened in the shadow. I know I've tossed out a billion and one theories now about TC, but skadjfl;asf... I love how you spoke about the symbolism of the trumpet creeper and show's theme of waiting. I think I'd be genuinely disappointed if their love story wound up pre-penned by the writer. Maybe it'll play out in a way that's similar to JD/NJ/DH, where JD's real/off-stage interest is in the second lead... but ahh, who knows.

(also thank you!! that's so very, very kind of you to say! asjdfl;kdsf at this point, I'm deep into a handful of "what if" brain children haha, but the show and all the conversation here is such great food for thought)

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, Calligrapher said:

Maybe it'll play out in a way that's similar to JD/NJ/DH, where JD's real/off-stage interest is in the second lead... but ahh, who knows.

That seems to be where it’s headed.  Especially since the last ep.  JD has made a stand.  She never did before.  So it’s a significant change.  She told NJ that she’s not his woman anymore.  This implies to me that the whole character set up has changed.  NJ/JD/DH is moving into the minor roles.  BK/DO/HR is moving into the main lead roles.  Question is, is BK still the main lead or is he demoted to second now?  Because the main lead gets the girl.  From the way the drama is unfolding, BK seems to always be “watching” from the sidelines as HR/DO relate to each other.  That seems to imply that BK is the second lead...and HR has stepped into main lead.

• Like 8

@haelan i'm glad you bring that scene up (SM took DO role on stage). I was about to write my thoughts and confusion on that scene but got difficulty putting them to words that i give up writing about it. Like you i was confused in so many things, like how could they change the stage by simply removing the watch/heart monitor to someone else, if the stage was changed didnt it mean DO didnt have to experience the pain then faint because someone else had taken that role, if DO was just around SM right before that stage started how could she suddenly disappear when the stage began, if she fainted before the stage began why didn't HR immediately took her to the hospital but waited till the stage ended instead. And more importantly what is the importance of this scene to the story?

I make my own assumptions here. A character is written with their own setting and traits. That traits won't change even when they are in shadow or gain awareness. So even when DO takes off her watch, her heart has already been damaged over the years in the manhwa so it's natural for her to feel the pain especially when the writer has already written that her heart condition is getting worse. HR managed to bring DO out of the set stage right before the actual stage happened but he couldn't bring her any further because he was also required for the stage and couldn't move when the stage began, hence he needed to wait. But these are all just my assumptions.

How removing a prop can lead to stage changes i think it's like this. When the stage is planned by the writer she/he starts drawing it (from what i know drawing a panel in comic requires lots of time and work). While the set, surrounding, props are drawn one by one our E3 or HR try to interfere by taking away the main character of that stage before that character is fully drawn by the writer. This somehow affects the writer. So when all the setting has been completed but the required character is not there it (the manhwa world) naturally takes closest available characters in the finished setting and turn them into the main character of the stage. In this case the beeping watch and the crowd are drawn first, HR noticed it and took DO away. (I feel like a freak blabbering nonsense now :lol:)

That means the stage can be changed when these requirements are fulfilled :

1. They know about the stage beforehand. At the beginning it was through DO's vision and the last episode through HR's prediction.

2. They take away the main characters from the stage before it starts

3. Haru

I think that this scene solidifies HR's ability to change the stage unlike other characters. Like JMC said changing stage is not something anyone can do. DO tried it at the beginning but it always come back to the way the writer wanted it. Different results obtained when HR is involved. Although at the end of the day things still go to the way the writer wants (NJ confession) but HR does make changes. 

This may lead to them trying to change another stage in the future episodes and maybe another unwanted things will happen after they do this.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

4 hours ago, RODIA said:

Hi everyone ,

i will share some gifs from the bTS :P i liked how Dried Squid  encourage him to put more effort into  the kiss , it's a big NO for a dead fish kiss:unamused:

Link to the BTS please....I officially love Lee Tae Ri now

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I'm liking the theorizing.  I'm interested in the beginning episode: it really seemed like Dan Oh was supposed to be the main lead, with all three A3 boys in love with her.  It's possible the writer (as Packman3 theorized) changed tack after starting the manwha and changed the lead to JuDa.  That makes sense to me because what we're watching is a meta-experiment on a meta-experiment.

The Stage characters, as I've said before, are very much enacting a marketable kdrama formula, whereas the Shadow characters are more real, honest, flawed.  What we have then is a schizophrenic writer writing to formula but her characters have become real enough to her, particularly the recycled ones, that she imagines what they truly think of the cliched writing and their fates within the story and portrays that in Shadow.

So for me the idea that these characters can operate outside the writer's imagination doesn't wash.  The characters can't escape the writer; they can, however, possibly escape the formula if their story is good enough.  And that's what Extraordinary You is - a kdrama escaping the formula by satirizing it, and portraying more realistic characters outside the cliches. (Not that they're that much more realistic, but you know what I mean, I hope).  The book Secret in the story has the staged scenes, but it is not what we're watching; it isn't finished.

So if this is the frame of this drama, everything else has to operate within the frame. The conflict is between stage and shadow within the writer's mind, and therefore the ending will be Stage (formulaic: Nam Ju with JuDa, Dan Oh dies), Shadow (the writer breaks free from the formula and goes where her characters take her), or something in between - like the kdrama we are currently watching!

• Like 5
  • Insightful 5