Quantcast
0ly40

[Current Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - Wed & Thu @ 20:55 KST

Just came back from the dentist and while sitting on that chair I had to think a little bit about Baek Kyung. Despite him being a jerk I think the writer (of the drama) has a lot to work with and I think the episodes showed mostly his bad sides.

Again... I'm not shipping him with Dan Oh and I'm not a fan of Baek Kyung apologists. He IS a problematic character and not everything can be excused by his terrible father and overall family situation.

To me it's sometimes confusing, who is stage!Kyung and who is shadow!Kyung.

But both grow up in a dysfunctional family. His father is abusive, his mother passed away from illness (I kinda get why he is angry at Dan Oh or should I say why he is afraid to be nice to her and to really like her), his step mother doesn't care AT ALL about him but only for her biological son. And the relationship between Kyung and his brother seems distant.

Kyung is must loathe his brother because while he gets abused by his father and is used by him for his own business, his younger brother pretty much gets away. No wonder, there is so much anger inside of Kyung.

And it broke my heart when the younger brother told Kyung he likes Dan Oh and he wants her to be part of the family and Kyung tells him this is not a family. Ugh... like Kyung is terrible but he is living a terrible life as well.

We got Kyung being confused over Dan Oh who is swooning (not like in the beginning) over him but as soon as the stage ends it's like a switch turned off and she is off to Ha Ru.

Kyung made it clear he is afraid to lose another person he loves hence why he is rather hateful and angry than allowing himself to like Dan Oh. But at the same time he wonders why he cares about her.

So I think when he told Ha Ru he is just playing Dan Oh... it was half a lie and half the truth. He pretty much wanted to anger Ha Ru because he knows (even if he doesn't remember Ha Ru) that there is someone always coming inbetween him and Dan Oh but also he really is playing her on stage because of his jealousy.

I think Kyung has so many issues to take care of and if he is really responsible for Ha Ru disappearing then I don't know...

• Like 15

Hi guys I am new to this forum. I have been a silent reader of soompi forum but this drama urged me to join. I don't like school romance much cuz I find them too cheesy. I like school dramas as long as they are not heavy on romance like School 2015 and Moments of 18. I stumbled upon this drama and found the premise interesting so watched first 2 episodes and I was completely hooked. It was fun seeing Dan Oh and Do Hwa making fun of JD and NJ's typical but cringe worthy romantic moments.:lol:

The extraness of Eun Dan Oh's character can easily make her annoying but Kim Hye Yoon made her so loveable. It's my first time seeing Rowoon and he is very handsome as Haru and their scenes together are so heart fluttering :wub:. I am also watching Search WWW right now and I must say Lee Jae Wook is really a good actor. I don't see Seol Ji Hwan (his character name) in BK nor BK in SJH. Don't know why but for some reason his smile reminds me of Park Bo Gum.

As for Haru and DO's past. I think DO was engaged or married to someone else (maybe BK) or they were from different social class so they were not meant to be together and Haru tried to change that but instead something bad happened. 

English is not my first language so please be understanding.

• Like 14

Watched with subs!!!

1- It looks like several of the other extras are starting to become aware... any thoughts that it is only extras who can become aware? There are several scenes with extras looking confused/surprised (when BK "confessed"; when BK and Haru had their confrontation)

2- Are they giving BK a reason to pretend like he didn't like DO? (that he pushes her away because his mum died from sickness so he never wants to get close to people who might die?... fairly classic trope)... But it in no way makes him a good guy... and I really can't stand his character. 

3- Speaking of tropes! urgh. loving them here so much. very well done and often subverted, even the love lines.

4- yes! totally agree. I think he has always been aware of his feelings for DO but they have become stronger as it goes along... the bit on the bench did me in. But the movie theatre scene was the best... so many memories of being a teen and hyper aware of your date in a dark theatre :D

4 hours ago, Jillia said:

when he got a nametag it was almost like he was able to be a real character who starts liking and disliking things

5- I am going to admit that I've always felt a bit sorry for Jinmichae... I think he genuinely wants the best for the manhwa (not necessarily the characters)... when he said that everything had returned to what it was my heart broke a bit. Clearly whatever ending Flower had is really tragic and he wants to prevent that. He seems lonely. I loved at the beginning when he said that it took DO a much faster to figure it out, as if she always does. His relationship with Haru is clearly complicated and he cares for him. When he said "you would disappear" I interpreted that as who Haru really is. That who everyone is on stage isn't who they really are. With Haru's new role in the manhwa, he is now just another character. 

6- I think he could still know all those things and be a body guard / military official in a sageuk (plus fusion etc)

4 hours ago, Jillia said:

I wonder if that wouldn't mean is rather a noble man in the other drama than a bodyguard?

7- This was hilarious! I've really been missing him--and occasionally rewatch METS for the cute he brought in the beginning... I wonder why he hasn't gotten more roles? (he has always been my favourite of the Lee Minhos)

3 hours ago, angelbeast90 said:

She sounded like she was saying Lee Taeri. Found out Lee Tae-ri previous name was Lee Minho before he legally changed it!

Final thought... So many of the guys in this drama are "armpit sniffers" (guys where the girl is so much short that she only(barely)  comes up to his armpit... not gross if they bathe regularly! come one! hehehe... I am also dying to see how they manage the DO Haru kiss... even sitting down she is so much short than him. :D

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Welcome to the thread, @-Cherry Blossom-! :D I hope you enjoy your time here and don't worry about language skills. English isn't my first language either. 

And welcome to the world of being in love with Ha Ru's aka Rowoon's face.... Oh MY! :wub: Ha Ru looking at Dan Oh:

tumblr_pzkcu2pXmF1r12xzyo4_400.gifvtumblr_pzkcu2pXmF1r12xzyo6_400.gifv

Spoiler

tumblr_pzkcu2pXmF1r12xzyo2_400.gifvtumblr_pzkcu2pXmF1r12xzyo5_400.gifv

tumblr_pzkcu2pXmF1r12xzyo1_400.gifvtumblr_pzkcu2pXmF1r12xzyo3_400.gifv

Credit: pacadong

7 minutes ago, tinymel said:

Watched with subs!!!

1- It looks like several of the other extras are starting to become aware... any thoughts that it is only extras who can become aware? There are several scenes with extras looking confused/surprised (when BK "confessed"; when BK and Haru had their confrontation)

2- Are they giving BK a reason to pretend like he didn't like DO? (that he pushes her away because his mum died from sickness so he never wants to get close to people who might die?... fairly classic trope)... But it in no way makes him a good guy... and I really can't stand his character. 

3- Speaking of tropes! urgh. loving them here so much. very well done and often subverted, even the love lines.

4- yes! totally agree. I think he has always been aware of his feelings for DO but they have become stronger as it goes along... the bit on the bench did me in. But the movie theatre scene was the best... so many memories of being a teen and hyper aware of your date in a dark theatre :D

5- I am going to admit that I've always felt a bit sorry for Jinmichae... I think he genuinely wants the best for the manhwa (not necessarily the characters)... when he said that everything had returned to what it was my heart broke a bit. Clearly whatever ending Flower had is really tragic and he wants to prevent that. He seems lonely. I loved at the beginning when he said that it took DO a much faster to figure it out, as if she always does. His relationship with Haru is clearly complicated and he cares for him. When he said "you would disappear" I interpreted that as who Haru really is. That who everyone is on stage isn't who they really are. With Haru's new role in the manhwa, he is now just another character. 

6- I think he could still know all those things and be a body guard / military official in a sageuk (plus fusion etc)

7- This was hilarious! I've really been missing him--and occasionally rewatch METS for the cute he brought in the beginning... I wonder why he hasn't gotten more roles? (he has always been my favourite of the Lee Minhos)

Final thought... So many of the guys in this drama are "armpit sniffers" (guys where the girl is so much short that she only(barely)  comes up to his armpit... not gross if they bathe regularly! come one! hehehe... I am also dying to see how they manage the DO Haru kiss... even sitting down she is so much short than him. :D

You might be right about Jinmichae. I guess... maybe he can't return to his original manhwa? Plus he isn't a student, so he can't even interact with other people - other than in the canteen. I just think the problem is he is speaking in riddles. But maybe he isn't allowed to say much because he genuinely believes he isn't allowed to disturb the story in the manhwa he is in now.

And yes, but it also depends on what kind of bodyguard he is. There are lowborn men who become bodyguards to noblemen. But again this is more of a fantasy setting, so I'll buy anything. :D

And kissing... well of course it would be nice to have Dan Oh standing on her toes and Ha Ru bending down meeting her halfway. :wub:

• Like 9
  • Love 7

15 hours ago, Jillia said:

Do Hwa deserves everything - don't fight me!:wub:

Agreed

The way he starts crying when talking about DO's death..... he's just do adorable

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 9
  • Love 2

Extraordinary You is one of the most gorgeously shot TV shows I have ever watched. The visuals are simply stunning. Each frame looks like a beautiful manga panel. 

tumblr_pzjp6r9Azz1s8t96qo1_540.gifvtumblr_pzjp6r9Azz1s8t96qo2_r2_540.gifv

• Like 10
  • Love 8

Everything about this scene is just adorable...  but Ha Ru, honey, please do not surprise Dan Oh too much. Her poor heart! :wub: That soft "Annyeong" though. *swoooon*

tumblr_pzjmo0Ioxv1yqjmjzo5_540.gifv

tumblr_pzjmo0Ioxv1yqjmjzo2_540.gifv

Spoiler

tumblr_pzjmo0Ioxv1yqjmjzo3_540.gifv

tumblr_pzjmo0Ioxv1yqjmjzo4_540.gifv

tumblr_pzjmo0Ioxv1yqjmjzo6_540.gifv

tumblr_pzjmo0Ioxv1yqjmjzo1_540.gifv

tumblr_pzjmo0Ioxv1yqjmjzo7_540.gifv

Credit: ahnjoonghee

Me:

Fangirl1.gif

• Like 12
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

THE EXTRA SQUAD IS BASICALLY THE AWESOMEST THING THAT HAS EVER AWESOMED!

tumblr_pzhvw4MABX1s8t96qo1_540.png

I want them to stage a coup d'état and overthrow the writer, wait… this is exactly what they’ve been doing in the shadows - basically planning a revolution, prepared to do whatever is neccesary to take control of their lives; their oddball trio of losers adding some extra chaos and disorder to the predictable world of the webtoon.

tumblr_pzhvw4MABX1s8t96qo5_540.png

It’s literally them against the whole universe and its creator. Plus I dig how Dan Oh has so naturally become the head of this operation and the boys follow whatever she says obediently like two cute puppies. She is their general and she’s barging foward with that boundless energy of hers. It’s hard not to fall in love with her.

rC6wGMG.jpg

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Yes, @briseis! Preach it! :D They're the best and we need more screentime of them together. Also, welcome to the thread! :wub:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

It’s always been only Dan Oh for Haru since the moment he can remember. And her name was actually his first word ever. She’s been the literal and figurative center of his universe from the very beginning. Frankly, I’m even afraid to even guess for how long Haru’s been self-aware because that would mean possibly years of utter desolation and loneliness.

daQgWPk.jpg

I love that we got to see Haru’s POV of their previous encounters this week and that they were even more magical and memorable for him than for her to the point where he even drew the flowers on her umbrella. At first, I thought that the reason why Haru draws might be because he’s somehow connected to the writer or he used to draw in his past (possibly in different webtoon), which is partly true, the whole truth behind his drawing is much more heartbreaking - he draws because he wants to learn who he is, who she is and because he does not want to ever forget her. And he keeps all those drawings in this little alcove which can’t be describe as anything but a temple where Haru worships the altar of Dan Oh’s awesomeness.

P2a60oA.jpg

There are all these barely noticeably details and the one which gutted me the most was the fact that the desk Haru picked out for himself and where he’s been sitting the whole time and where he so often thought about Dan Oh is the very desk where she sat when he first approached her! My heart stay still!

JlY7xEe.jpg

• Like 12
  • Love 2

@briseis

It must've been terrible to wake up and trying to talk to Dan Oh or any character but not being able to because on stage Ha Ru never had lines or purpose so he couldn't do anything at all. I loved how he discovered his own voice and how much he enjoyed the sun and giving this joy to Dan Oh who was so sweet by dazzling him. :wub: From the beginning the drama was trying to tell us... Ha Ru is the light/day.

Spoiler

0419916487c4f3f2401bd04dddfd596d7c7db5a8

65548340a10cf34aea208b8693e95ccbf01d9c28

145445881a8e20db0af3ecd4901b70df9dd5458c

At the same time, Ha Ru's frustration is showing slowly because he is torn between what Jinmichae told him and what his hearts wants. He is not happy how things go right now. He has awakened but it seems there is nothing he can do.

Extra - cutie Ha Ru :wub:

tumblr_pzk5syzAbd1qehjbco2_400.gifvtumblr_pzk5syzAbd1qehjbco1_400.gifv

Credit: thesingingnorwegian

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

45 minutes ago, briseis said:

Extraordinary You is one of the most gorgeously shot TV shows I have ever watched. The visuals are simply stunning. Each frame looks like a beautiful manga panel. 

Ahhh my two favourite really I love so much this scene ,I miss Legend Of The Blue Sea:tears::bawling:

Spoiler

MTVkYTliODMxM2JmYWU.gif

'Extraordinary You' best minute and scene of Kim Hyeyoon and SF9 Rowoon achieved their best rating 5,2%!

Netizens comments :

(+303,-1) It's so fun ㅠㅠ Danoh acting is so good and Haru is so handsome ㅠㅠ I will only waiting for Wednesday.

(+187,-2) You have to give the cast a real prize.

(+158,-5) Everyone's not interested with the channel, and then they just turn the channel around. When they just click Kim Hyeyoon appears and the scene changes, they see something like this~

(+48,0) It was fun!

(+29,0) So fun !

(+8,0) Extraordinary You was so fun ㅋㅋㅋ

cr:storykpop

I want to add so many things but no time :bawling::bawling:I like so much gifs all of them wonderful

two babies, Rowoon ah I hope you are happy now ,this time I hope you receive a recompense for work:bawling:

365b7b3c-img1.gif

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 8
  • Love 2

Hi, 

I felt in love with this show since first 2 minutes of episode 1. And I just  scroll this forum like crazy , to read all of your theories. 

Sorry for my ENG.

• Like 7

Fact: Ha Ru is smooth AF. :lol:  Also the whole time while screaming like a fangirl I was thinking "Dan Oh! That sofa is broad enough so if you want you can just move away a little bit." ROFL

tumblr_pzkhv96Whm1qeysf2o1_400.gifvtumblr_pzkhv96Whm1qeysf2o2_400.gifv

Spoiler

tumblr_pzkhv96Whm1qeysf2o3_400.gifvtumblr_pzkhv96Whm1qeysf2o4_400.gifv

tumblr_pzkhv96Whm1qeysf2o5_400.gifvtumblr_pzkhv96Whm1qeysf2o6_400.gifv

tumblr_pzkhv96Whm1qeysf2o7_400.gifvtumblr_pzkhv96Whm1qeysf2o8_400.gifv

Credit: moonlightsdream

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

When a drama is just hinting what most of us already predicted/hoped. :D

tumblr_pzkhjcOf4F1w73lqxo1_400.gifvtumblr_pzkhjcOf4F1w73lqxo2_400.gifv

Spoiler

tumblr_pzkhjcOf4F1w73lqxo3_400.gifvtumblr_pzkhjcOf4F1w73lqxo6_400.gifv

tumblr_pzkhjcOf4F1w73lqxo4_400.gifvtumblr_pzkhjcOf4F1w73lqxo5_400.gifv

Credit: tyangie

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Jillia said:

It must be painful when Dan Oh is put on the stage. She can't do anything about it when the writer decides her it's "Baek Kyung Time". I had to laugh a bit when Dan Oh made that sarcastic comment. But also it must be painful for Ha Ru as well because he can't do anything either.

Also, very telling that as soon the stage is over Dan Oh just flees the scene. See what I did there. :D

What must be infuriating to BK is that every time the stage is finished not only does DO flee but she is always fleeing to the same person, HR.  You can see first confusion, then disgust, and then finally fury when he sees DO and HR together once the world returns to shadow.

I will be curious to find out when he actually became aware.  I think it may have been as early as the summer camp trip.  He may have been biding his time, figuring out what was going on, and then planning how he can get things to go his way.  If it weren't for the fact that he is a total jerk, he might actually be one of the great team members helping to get people what they want.  Unfortunately, he is not a team member at all.  I thought his remark about not being with A3 all that often was very telling about how he is primarily a loner. 

• Like 7