[Mainland Chinese WebDrama 2020] Love of Thousand Years 三千鸦杀

sugarplum892

Novel Epilogue translation

- Fu Jiuyun part 2.2

Spoiler

Fu Jiuyun was amused and somewhat peeved. This girl had lived wretchedly for ten lifetimes and unexpectedly became so brave in this lifetime. He wanted to temper the arrogance of this little girl. As a girl, it was better to be gentle and forbearing. So he asked the second prince to convey his provocative message: "There is no problem completing the song. If the imperial princess can dance well, this humble one will give his two best paintings to her. But if the imperial princess can’t dance, then the whole Great Yan Kingdom will know of her unwarranted arrogance."

He wanted to find out the Imperial Princess’ reaction to his provocation, but unexpectedly Meishan Jun sought him for a drink, so he put it aside. Meishan Jun notice that he seemed to always have a smile on his lips, and couldn't help teasing him: "What happened? Your lucky love star is activated? Which girl caught your eye?"

Fu Jiuyun didn't move, and lightly said: "Lucky love star? Who dragged me along to see Miss Xin..."

Before he could finishing his speech, Meishan Jun ran away like a daughter-in-law, covering her face, and then quibbled: "I only treat her as my sister!"

Fu Jiuyun just laughed. These few days he decided not to go to the riverbank, only staying at Meishan Abode. He found a quiet room to focus on finishing the second half of the Eastern Wind Peach Blossom Song.

It is unknown how the imperial princess responded to his provocation, but he felt inspired by the challenge. It was as if he spent his whole life to come up with a question that no one in the world could answer, the pride of his life. Yet he could not help feeling disappointed when everyone was defeated by the Eastern Wind Peach Blossom Song. Unexpectedly, the person who eventually rose to the challenge was her. He was slightly reluctant yet a little hopeful.

It is extremely difficult to find true confidants. Okay, little girl, let’s see what you are capable of?

The completed Eastern Wind Peach Blossom Song music score was brought into the Great Yan Palace by the second prince. Within a few days, this bold yet innocent imperial princess disguised herself as a man and secretly followed her second brother to the riverbank to find him.

At that time, Fu Jiuyun had just finished drinking and left Meishan Abode. He hid under the clouds while driving his carriage to observe her. Thinking to himself, the child hasn’t change much, and still wore men's clothing while thinking that everyone is blind. After ten miserable lifetimes, he finally saw her having a carefree and pampered look while carrying a sweet smile on her tender cheek, and he couldn't help thinking of the Third Princess of Zhou Yue Kingdom from many years ago.

Fortunately, she was blessed in this life. Just laugh like this, and hopefully nothing will change forever.

The imperial princess waited for a whole day, and finally went back angrily. Fu Jiuyun thought that she looked very cute when she was angry and couldn't help quietly following the carriage. But just as he was about to arrive at the palace, he was intercepted - it was Meishan Jun’s eldest fellow disciple, the half-immortal old gentleman.

"Gentleman Gongziqi, please stop here. The imperial princess is still young and incapable of dealing with your tricks." The old gentleman thought that he wanted to extend his demonic claws towards the innocent and lovely little imperial princess, and quickly came out to protect the her.

Fu Jiuyun didn't like being misunderstood, and he didn't like to explain. He laughed lightly: "What if I insist on eating her?"

The old gentleman looked at him embarrassedly: "The old cow eats the tender grass but not like this. Your cow is too old, and her grass is too tender." 

[translation note: 老牛吃嫩草 is an idiom meaning a May December romance when the man is significantly older. Literally means “old cow eat tender grass”]

Fu Jiuyun was amused by his humorous appearance and jumped off the carriage to explain sincerely: "I just want to see how she is living now. I have no other intentions, and the old gentleman does not have to worry."

The old gentleman was relieved: "I heard from Meishan that Gentleman Gongziqi has seen her ten unfortunate lifetimes. Her fate should be excellent in this life, as long as you don't interfere."

Fu Jiuyun was puzzled, and the old gentleman said thoughtfully: "Gentleman is an existence beyond the mortal realm, with no ties with mortals. You have seen her ten lifetimes, and unexpectedly formed an ill fate. If you are in contact, it’s hard to predict how her life will be. "

Bad luck can be produced just by looking? What sort of logic is that? Fu Jiuyun thought for a long time in the carriage and decided not to visit her again. It was the same as before, he did not owe her anything, so why observe her for another lifetime?

But after making up his mind not to look, he felt very empty and nothing seemed interesting. It was as if he gave up something very precious, and he felt regretful and unwilling.

He secretly broke the Great Yan Palace ward at night and slipped to the princess's Jingyan Palace. It is no big deal to peek at her, right? They still have a gamble! This childish excuse made him feel better, and he quietly observed into her sleeping face in the darkness.

The imperial princess is still young, with childish features and was peacefully pressing down the quilt with her hand. The ten white jade-like fingers were very delicate and lovely. Fu Jiuyun gently picked one up, turned it over and placed it in front of his eyes, carefully reading the palm for her.

In this life, her life was indeed really good. Her father is kind and her mother loving, life is smooth till old age, and her marriage will be full of happiness.

Fu Jiuyun felt a sense of contentment in his heart, and was about to let go, when he noticed that she moved and was awake. He didn't have time to hide, or perhaps he secretly didn't want to hide, and wanted her to see him, to know that there was such a weird person who peeped at her for ten lifetimes without her knowledge.

The Imperial Princess’ reaction was obviously not so wistful. She was so frightened that she could not even shout.

Fu Jiuyun cast a spell to leave in an instance, leaving a note behind: Pretty lady, but dressed as a man, ugly ugly! Agreement of song and dance, forget not forget not.

Perhaps she will cry when her spirits are dashed? He wanted to laugh at his little mischief, but instead the Imperial Princess shouted: "Gongziqi! I will surely win! Just you wait!"

He almost fell off the roof beam.

This peek made the old gentleman feel very helpless. He went to Huanhe River and waited for Fu Jiuyun for several days, but Fu Jiuyun intentionally avoided the old gentleman. After all, Fu Jiuyun felt a little guilty, but he also felt a sense of childlike happiness and expectation. He hasn't felt this way for a long long time.

When drinking with Meishanjun, he couldn't help but say: "Maybe... this time the Eastern Wind Peach Blossom Song can really find its owner."

Meishan Jun felt very curious: "So what if you find the owner? You will marry her?"

It seemed that Fu Jiuyun had never thought about this, but after being questioned, he silently drank the fine wine and was quiet for a long time.

Meishan Jun laughed and shook his head proudly: "What's so difficult about marrying her? Fly to the palace and snatch her away! I'll be the matchmaker..."

"Xin Mei's figurine ..." Fu Jiuyun only said a few words and MeiShanjun once again hid his face and ran away angrily: "Just you wait, just you wait!"

He didn't manage to wait for Meishan Jun's revenge, but instead got the Eastern Wind Peach Blossom Song on the Zhaoyang stage.

There were so many people on the stage, but he understood that she made the bet for fun. Moreover the dance wasn’t just meant for him, and is mostly meant to let the man in the dragon chair laugh.

But so what? He asked himself, so what?

Now that her flaming red skirt brushed past the white stone railing on the stage, the thousands of flowers under the stage could not compare to her smile. He came up with an unsolvable problem, and she gave the best answer. It is his heart’s desire. After wandering in the world for three thousand years, three thousand years! It is as if it was all for this moment.

To meet her and to watch her.

The mystery disappeared in an instant, it turned out to be her.

He told Meishan Jun the answer to the question that he failed to respond before: "I want her, and I will take her away."

Meishan Jun always thought he was kidding. So this time he was really shocked and muttered: "Hey ... Are you serious? Her life is very fortunate, but it has nothing to do with you ..."

"I will make her life better. I will change her life. I will bear all the consequences." Fu Jiuyun said without hesitation. "She is mine."

Meishan Jun could not stop him in time and watched him go.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Dundee said:

I definitely enjoy your translations, i especially curious the novel side regarding the underwater giant clam scene :D 

In the novel the stone was found by FJY alone. Basically he just went to get it himself (Being the self sacrificial bf type who does all the dirty work and didn’t claim credit). 

So instead of that one underwater trip they actually stayed in an underwater house for a while - so not in a clam but on the bed... 

==== 

re the translation above 

4 minutes ago, Adidaem said:

He came up with an unsolvable problem, and she gave the best answer. It is his heart’s desire. After wandering in the world for three thousand years, three thousand years! It is as if it was all for this moment.

This part! Omg the drama totally omitted this!

Instead he just looked irritated during the dance? Seriously the scriptwriter/director so screwed up man. Such a waste of our dear JY daren. :( 

Ok happy Mother’s Day if anyone here is a mum! 2 more parts of the epilogue left! 

10 hours ago, Adidaem said:

"I will make her life better. I will change her life. I will bear all the consequences." Fu Jiuyun said without hesitation. "She is mine."

This is just a FJY saying. Best ML ever! :love:

Thank you for translating this, please continue. 

- Fu Jiuyun part 3.1

Spoiler

Fu Jiuyun felt that he had never been so immature before. Those twisted guts that used to deal with women have been twisted into a straight one.

What does she like? What does she dislike? He repeatedly broke into the palace at night, is it a form of disrespect to her?

After brooding for half a day, he finally left her two paintings and a note and was all sweaty when he came out. She is a small fish at the bottom of his heart, swimming here and there freely, and he was unsure if she will fall for this bait?

Fu Jiuyun waited for a long time by the riverside, and it gradually started to rain. He was holding an oil-paper umbrella. The young man by the river looked very dazzling in the drizzle. The Great Yan people were quite liberal. From time to time, some bolder girls would came over to ask, only to be absentmindedly dismissed by him.

The river was gurgling, and the dense raindrops that fell on the surface of the river left pits and bumps behind, just like his nervous heart.

The rain continued intermittently, and he quietly counted each crystal clear water droplet that rolled off the willow tree leaves. He looked forward to the little fish catching the bait, but wasn’t sure when she will catch the bait? He was also a little afraid of her coming. She is young and innocent. What would you say to make her understand?

If she comes, I will take her away and change her life. If she isn’t willing to... well, if she isn’t willing should I knock her out and run away? No, no, this isn’t good, need to be more gentle...

He waited for more than half a month by the riverside but the Imperial Princess never came. So he went to the Zhaoyang stage and saw the embracing figures of the Imperial Princess and Zuo Zichen.

Meishan said, "Fortunately, you were not reckless this time. This girl has an immortal fate, and this Zuo Zichen has a marriage fate with her. The two will be married, and eventually cultivate to become immortals, to make up for her ten unfortunate lifetimes. How will you be able to give her a better fate? Fu Jiuyun, you better stop being obsessed. From now on I will not let the little crow help you to find her, let it go!"

Fu Jiuyun felt that he has encountered the biggest problem in his life.

She will become an immortal?

Become an immortal. 

When you become an immortal, you will live a long life, and moreover she will be accompanied by her lover. It is really an extremely good life, and indeed very fortunate.

What... about him? What should he do?

Meishan Jun sighed: "Isn't it just a dance? I really don't believe that no other woman in the world can dance to it. I'll find one who can dance better for you. Stop thinking about her. After looking at her for ten lifetimes, have you not seen enough? "

He hasn’t seen enough. So it turned out that Zuo Zichen will give her a destined happy marriage. His little Imperial Princess was very innocent and everyone could see the single-minded love that she is unable to contain in her heart. At this moment, if someone asks her who is Gongziqi, she has probably forgotten.

She is very happy and her life is wonderful now, which is what he has always wished for.

Fu Jiuyun suddenly smiled, shook his head and walked away.

There is no salvation. They are saved but he cannot be saved. It has nothing to do with who danced well. Once you have encountered true love, you cannot find another that can compare*. Theirs is called destiny. Him and her can only be called ill fated. He also felt that he was crazy, inexplicably observing a woman for ten lifetimes, inexplicably falling in love, and inexplicably leaving eventually.

[translator note: author used 曾经沧海难为水,除却巫山不是云 which literally translates as “once you have seen the ocean others cannot be considered water, none apart from the Wu mountain can be considered clouds”. It expresses that once you have encountered true love, you cannot find another that can compare/replace]

In his long and endless reincarnation, this will probably be a small ripple. After a few thousand years, he may not even remember what she looks like.

It's just that he is really unwilling.

He counted the water droplets, counted thousands and tens of thousands of times, but she didn’t turn up, and finally he can no longer wait for her.

Fu Jiuyun went back to Xiangqu mountain, where he originally thought to take away the soul lamp, and then find a beautiful place with the Imperial Princess to live happily forever. But now he feels that although the world is so big, it makes no difference where he lives.

The female disciple Qing Qing saw that recently he has been depressed and unhappy, and could not help teasing: "Your personality has changed after going out for so long? A few days ago, Huai Shan and the gang of little girls asked you over to drink but you refused. What are you feeling troubled over? "

Fu Jiuyun thought for a while: "I'm thinking about being the big stick that separates the loving couple."

Qing Qing couldn't help saying: "You stand right there, you will fall apart before you can even be the stick. But it’s best to do less of such immoral deeds? It’s rare to find true love in this world."

Fu Jiuyun seriously considered again, nodded, and then smiled slightly: "indeed, you said it well."

He didn't need to be the one who gave her happiness. If she didn't fall in love with someone else, he could have given her anything she wanted and pampered her to the heavens. Now that she is in love with someone else, except for Zuo Zichen everyone else would be hell for her. He wanted to keep her to see her laugh. But if he was happy but caused her to be sad, why not suffer a little and instead see her laugh more happily.

He is a spirit with a stronger heart than mortals, and is not afraid of some pain that is hard to erase.

- Fu Jiuyun part 3.2

Spoiler

After Fu Jiuyun spent some leisurely time in Xiangqu Mountain, the Mountain Lord somehow heard of a treasure in the Western Qiong Kingdom Mausoleum, named Joint Heart Mirror. It is said that if men and women in love go to the mirror to have a look, the mirror will reflect the appearance of the two if it is a match made in heaven. If it is not meant to be, the mirror will remain blank.

The old Mountain Lord has always been interested in these weird treasures, and was moved to acquire it. Coincidentally Fu Jiuyun recently felt bored and decadent, and volunteered to help grab the treasure, taking it as an excuse to do something and take his mind off matters.  

After waiting for more than a year at the Emperor's Mausoleum, the War Ghost and Xin Mei* never returned. Fu Jiuyun was sick of seeing the green mountains and waters in the Emperor's Mausoleum everyday, and left a note behind for them. He planned to enjoy himself along the way back, playing from the bottom of the sea to the Northwest Tianyuan Kingdom. 

[translation note: Xin Mei is the girl that Meishan Jun is in love with, and the “war ghost” is her husband. The novel about them has been completely translated to English - FJY makes an appearance in the novel too. Anyone interested to have the link?]

Unexpectedly the borders around the ports were heavily fortified, and the people in town had been driven away. There were thousands of people who patrolled the mountains and guarded the ports daily, as if they were expecting an enemy.

Fu Jiuyun was curious and secretly captured a soldier for questioning, "What is this for? Will there be war?"

A spell had been cast on the soldier and he was surrounded by darkness. Trembling with panic, he said in a rush: "It's theTianyuan Kingdom! That day, the destined crown prince ordered the demon army to sweep across other countries ... Several small countries around Qiong Kingdom have been invaded, and it is also said that the Eastern Great Yan Kingdom was destroyed not long ago! The Emperor feared that Tianyuan’s spies have infiltrated Qiong Kingdom, so he sent troops to guard the border... "

Fu Jiuyun only heard the words "Great Yan Kingdom was destroyed", and his heart almost stopped beating.

Great Yan Kingdom should only be destroyed at least ten years later. And where did the Tianyuan destined crown prince come from and how did he have the capability to gather the scattered demon tribes to fight for him?

He didn't ask further, and summoned a spirit bird to rush to Great Yan.

But Great Yan Kingdom no longer existed in this world. 

The Left Minister committed treason, and the demon army led by the Tianyuan crown prince had crushed the Great Yan army like broken bamboo, and set fire to the Great Yan Palace which burned for a month. Those once magnificent palaces have been burnt to ashes, leaving only some broken walls.

And the Great Yan Imperial Princess had vanished during the catastrophe.

Fu Jiuyun couldn't believe his eyes. Wasn’t it said that her current life is extremely good? Wasn’t it said that there is an immortal fate? But... the kingdom is destroyed and her family dead, what sort of pain is that? She had an even worse death than in previous lives!

He wandered through the ruins for a long, long time, and there were many charred corpses. Every corpse he saw was hair raising, feeling like it resembled her, and hoping that it was not her.

When the anxious Meishan Jun came to him, he was still rummaging through the ruins as if he wanted to find a miracle.

"There are also times when I see wrongly!" Meishan Jun's face was green with anger. "The national adviser of Tianyuan Kingdom is really f-king not simple! The man with unparalleled destiny can also be suppressed by him, and to forcefully go against heaven to change lives. Finding a demon to replace! How many people's lives have been messed up, this time it's really a big mess!"

Fu Jiuyun's eyes were red and he held Meishan Jun, his voice hoarse: "Imperial Princess? Dead or alive?"

Meishan Jun spread his hands: "I can't find her, it must be that my elder disciple brother has cast a curse on her, just to prevent you from peeping..."

Fu Jiuyun pushed him away, stumbled onto the spirit bird, and searched everywhere aimlessly.

He didn't know where to search. He once observed her destined life so high up, never thinking that there will be a day she cannot be found.

It turns out that the world is so big, how many years will it take to find a grain of sand in the vast sea?

Don’t even know if she was dead or alive.

With the last glimmer of hope, he returned to Xiangqu Mountain to find Zuo Zichen. Unexpectedly his memories had been sealed up, and he has forgotten everything that happened in Great Yan Kingdom. He is even blinded in both eyes and has become a handicapped person.

The girl standing next to him is no longer the Imperial Princess, but another beautiful unknown girl with a proud and indifferent look.

"Are you asking about the Imperial Princess?"

The girl's name was Xuan Zhu, and she was a Great Yan princess. Her face changed when she heard about the Imperial Princess.

"I don't know, probably dead long ago."

She seemed to deeply hate the Imperial Princess.

Fu Jiuyun went to see the Mountain Lord and wanted to ask what happened to Zuo Zichen.

The Mountain Lord was enjoying his latest collection in the treasure vault. There are the two magical paintings which Fu Jiuyun had personally gifted to the Imperial Princess.

Seeing that Fu Jiuyun was staring at the two paintings, the Mountain Lord felt quite proud: "This is a magical painting by Gongziqi, a treasure that can't be bought even with twenty thousand gold. No wonder you keep staring at it."

Fu Jiuyun abruptly turned and stared at him coldly, quietly saying: "... How did you get the painting?"

The Mountain Lord felt a little embarrassed and annoyed: "Naturally it was gifted by someone... why did you ask?"

Fu Jiuyun smiled: "Did someone send you the paintings so that you will seal Zuo Zichen's memories?"

The only one who can execute the seal spell so perfectly and superbly can only be the Mountain Lord. He has always been good at weird curses and seals.

The Mountain Lord froze: "Jiuyun! You are too rude!"

"Let me guess." Fu Jiuyun didn't seem to fear his anger. "Zuo Zichen knew that his father was going to commit treason, and the Left Minister feared that he would leak the news. So he gifted you the two magical paintings, so that you will trap Zuo Zichen on Xiangqu Mountain. Am I right? "

The Mountain Lord was furious and turned around to go back through the curtain without saying a word.

Fu Jiuyun didn't have anything else to ask. He finally understood how everything happened.

The Tianyuan National Advisor went against the heavens to alter fate, and used the queen to birth the fierce demon that was raised by his own blood to replace the legendary destined one. That is why Tianyuan Kingdom has so many demon armies that can invincibly sweep the Central Plains, thereby bringing forward the time of Great Yan Kingdom’s destruction to ten years earlier.

This is the first alteration to the Imperial Princess’ fate. The destruction of the Kingdom.

And he himself made a bet with the Imperial Princess that day and lost two paintings. The same paintings that were used by the Left Minister to bribe the Mountain Lord. Without Gongziqi’s paintings, it's hard to say whether the Left Minister can touch the iron heart of the Mountain Lord. After all, not many treasures in the world can tempt the Mountain Lord, not to mention to tempt the Mountain Lord into taking action against his own disciple. The Left Minister may not have been able to make the request.

This is the second alteration to the Imperial Princess’ fate. A love robbed.

Fu Jiuyun finally understood what the old gentleman meant by ill fate.

Everything was too subtle, and he thought he had taken a step back, only to now realize that it was too late. The ill fate began the moment the he made the bet with the Imperial Princess.

It was too late to take back any actions.

Fu Jiuyun had no more interest in life, and stayed in Meishan Abode all day long. He had never been so wretchedly drunk in his life. After being drunk, he just vomited and made a mess, as if he was going to die.

Meishan comforted him: "This matter has nothing to do with you. The Tianyuan National Advisor went against the heavens, and sooner or later will suffer divine retribution. You don’t have to regret not avoiding her. What will come will come. There are other treasures apart from the two magical paintings, so why blame yourself?"

He was still thankful that the person who altered fate wasn’t Fu Jiuyun, so naturally the divine retribution will not fall on him. His old friend can continue to live a carefree life.

Fu Jiuyun was dead drunk by the pond, struggling to roll over, and finally rolled to the bottom of the pond, leaving only a string of bubbles on the water surface. His long hair rippled under the water, spreading out like a black lotus.

Blame himself? No……

He floated to the surface, and crystal clear drops of water dripped down his eyelashes.

"... I only blame myself, that I failed to make up my mind to take her away."

If the heart is moved, then don’t regret it, don’t back off at the last minute, only to finally watch her fall to this point.

"I will wait for her next life, and this time I will not let anyone else."

He smiled and slowly closed his eyes.

Meishan Jun was speechless: "Fu Jiuyun, you can't be like this. Firstly, you shouldn't even intervene in her affairs, I will not help you to trace her again. Secondly, even if I want to help you, I'm afraid that I can't. Elder Disciple Brother has already cast a spell on her, and I can’t see her regardless of reincarnation, life or death. There are so many people in the world, where will you go to search?"

Fu Jiuyun thought for a while: "I will look one by one. Anyway my life is long, and I will surely find her."

Meishanjun's nose gradually turned red. He coughed twice and turned his head to give a soft sigh: "Look at you, what should I say..."

Fu Jiuyun splashed out from the pond and stretched out an empty wine glass, indicating for him to pour the wine.

Mei Shanjun sighed: "In my opinion, the girl may not have died. Elder Disciple Brother is over there, so it will not be so easy to die. Although we can't find her trace now, but there is still hope. What are your plans if she is still alive? Still stay drunk like a dead person?"

Fu Jiuyun gently put the emptied wine glass on the side, and thought for a long time, but finally gave a shallow smile: "Find her, accompany her. If I go against the heavens so be it."

He sank to the bottom again.

He is not afraid of anything. He is not a saint. He gave way once and will never do it a second time.

If she is still alive, if he can still find her, he will hold on tight and never let go. Let her eyes truly see him and look at him.

If she can laugh again, then there is absolutely no problem even if he has to do everything he does not want to do, and give everything he cannot give.

Ill fate? What about that? He will disturb her and give her a better life. That is his own ill fate, and it has nothing to do with her so he alone will bear all the consequences.

Spirits have very strong hearts, and are not afraid of pressure and waiting.

He really wasn't afraid of anything. While he is alive, he vowed to pamper and indulge her.

Done! The epilogue is so great right? One of the best epilogues from the ML POV I’ve read. :love:

FJY is really the best part of the novel and the drama. After completing the novel, I understood why so many people were critical of the drama team - poor script, poor editing... and... FL not gorgeous (actress) or capable (script) enough.

Like why did they omit all the best bits from the novel? If they had incorporated the epilogue into the drama, it would have been so much more heart breaking, like how we all knew the back story from Eternal Love and loved Ye Hua even more right. 

But... still love JY daren. Really one of the best ML characters around. 

Spoiler
13 hours ago, Adidaem said:

She is very happy and her life is wonderful now, which is what he has always wished for.

He wanted to keep her to see her laugh. But if he was happy but caused her to be sad, why not suffer a little and instead see her laugh more happily

12 hours ago, Adidaem said:

Fu Jiuyun thought for a while: "I look one by one. Anyway my life is long, and I will surely find her."

Once you have encountered true love, you cannot find another that can compare*. Theirs is called destiny. Him and her can only be called ill fated.

Omg!! Sooooo many good quotes!! They really should have incorporated FJY POV into the script! Major points lost. FJY is the best ML by far.

Again love the cast. Also, Zhao LuSi did a great as QC too. 

@Adidaem Thank you 3,000 times for translating this :love:

PS. Here is Xin Mei’s story. She’s so funny. I read it just to see FJY, he shows up briefly.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/a-match-made-in-heaven/

On 5/4/2020 at 2:34 PM, Adidaem said:

The last part of the ending from the novel...

=============================

Past the water area and four exquisite palaces is the courtyard where Fu Jiuyun once lived. 

Qingchuan stood at the front door for a long time. Like most of the buildings in Xiangqu mountain, the door isn’t locked. When she opened the door and saw the familiar building, she couldn’t help smiling when she recalled all the beautiful memories when she stayed there. 

Small fishes are still swimming in the pond in the backyard. At this place, she once deliberately destroyed Fu Jiuyun's clothes while washing them, and then hung them all over the backyard, turning him green in anger. There are rooms on both sides of the corridor, and she once used cleaning as an excuse to smash the vases displayed on the cabinet. 

The bed board in the bedroom can still be pulled out. When she was his personal maid, she often pulled out the bed board to sleep. She often endured his sudden troublemaking in the middle of the night, such as boiling water and making tea, adding incense and finding more blankets, and other nonsense.

The mynah was still under the window, and as soon as it saw her, it started yelling: "Bad person! Liar! Liar!" 

Qin Chuan grabbed a handful of millet and shooked them temptingly in front of it: "Hey, let me hear you call me a good girl and I’ll let you eat, otherwise you will starve to death! Who is a liar?" 

Suddenly there was a familiar chuckle behind her. Her wrist shook, and all the millet scattered on the table. Before she could turn around, someone tightly hugged her from behind, and breathed warmly above her ear. 

His voice is mellow and soft, so familiar, and so calm: "Are you upset that I'm late?" 

Just like the first day they met in Xiangqu mountain. He didn’t seem to care and carried a hint of a smile. 

But she is already infatuated.

I like this ending better , not just how they trapped in the painting. I always hope there will be a little bit piece of ending in the end ( maybe after credit) like after FJY recuperated from his wound in the painting and they go out together and live happily ever after ...having children maybe.. 

On 4/19/2020 at 6:09 AM, Adidaem said:

I finished the book. Still not liking 2FL character but ok she’s consistent. 

Do like the book and the sequencing and flow much better than the drama. Plus I like how she regained her original face in the book.

Some thoughts on the drama vs book:

Pro

- Theme song! Really love the song 

- Zheng Ye Cheng 郑业成 as Fu Jiu Yun 傅九云 - he can act 

Jiang Yi Yi 蒋依依 in the initial episode as the princess
- Natural scenery used during filming 

Mixed

- Zhao Lu Si 赵露思 as Qin Chuan - she can act and she can cry nicely which is great as I can’t watch wooden leads, but after reading the original story I can’t help but wonder if the drama script was revised so drastically vs the story as her image suits the maid better than the princess or the script was already like that and the production team then found an actress that suits the role. Overall I do like her but the image thing gets to me. 

Con

- Super revised vs original story, which I liked better. E.g how he fell for her after 10 lifetimes didn’t come through. Or how much stronger the FL was in the book vs drama. 

- Some of the supporting actors didn’t seem to suit the character? Eg the mountain master, the two princes (the older one looks younger)

- Funny face swap for Qing Qing 
- The ending. And when JY was “dying” the scene was so unemotional? The second leads had so much crying and then JY just left like that? In the book at least there was quite a bit of emo part when JY left, and QC danced for him again etc. 

Overall makes me thankful that Eternal Love and ELOD were adapted so much better/closer to the books and a bit sad that the drama had so much potential and the leads were not properly utilized... 

If you haven’t watched the show, I still think it’s a very watchable show as the ML and FL can act. 

I love Zhang Ye Cheng from Love o2o when he plays as Hao Mei ( a bit part of BL story in that drama..so funny, and KO was played by Vincent Zhang)
Then  I saw him in An Oriental Odyssey, and Royal Nirvana.. He can act very good..but i heard that his agents wasn't so good treated him. IDK if he has changed his agent now. And he is likely using as chess piece with the director and producer that actually want to promote the others actors/actresses. 
He is really gem..But lot of his scenes got cut. I wish him a great success in the future and more wuxiua/Xianxia drama for him as Main lead. 

Thank you for the epilogue translations and clarifications. I went back and watch the first few episodes and it all makes sense now. Why is the editing done so poorly? I love the ML & FL actors; they are amazing together, but it is so jarring with the sloppy story telling. My first impression was that he was being extraordinarily creepy. But it now makes sense: he is boy who has crush on a girl and clearly does not know how to approach her. 

5 hours ago, ElleSor said:

So is it a happy ending? I'm not watching if it's not.

It's a poorly executed happy ending. According to the translations by @Adidaem, she practiced immortality so that she can wait for him until he recuperates his spirit. I have no idea what was going on in the last episode.

10 hours ago, ehn said:

It's a poorly executed happy ending. According to the translations by @Adidaem, she practiced immortality so that she can wait for him until he recuperates his spirit. I have no idea what was going on in the last episode.

According to the director, they got their happy ending in a painting... 

Am rather confused by the drama ending, and really don’t like it so I will imagine the novel ending as the right ending instead. Also am very disappointed with the farewell scene for the ML so I will pretend the novel scene to be the farewell instead.

Trying to translate the scene but it takes a long time... will post when I complete the translation. 

Ha. So yes essentially I’m translating the novel parts of the drama scenes that disappointed me... 

On 5/21/2020 at 10:36 AM, Adidaem said:

According to the director, they got their happy ending in a painting... 

Am rather confused by the drama ending, and really don’t like it so I will imagine the novel ending as the right ending instead. Also am very disappointed with the farewell scene for the ML so I will pretend the novel scene to be the farewell instead.

Trying to translate the scene but it takes a long time... will post when I complete the translation. 

Ha. So yes essentially I’m translating the novel parts of the drama scenes that disappointed me... 

I’ll be following this thread just to wait for your translation!! :love::kiss_wink::heart:

Ok putting all the novel bits I’ve translated together...

This is what I wish the drama team had started the drama off with in the first two episodes. So if you watch TMOPB, remember the scene when Yehua saw Bai Qian again in the underwater palace garden. That look on Yehua (thanks Mark Chao!)... if the drama team had included more of the epilogue, the reunion when FJY met QC again could have been so much more touching  (instead of creepy). 

Fu Jiuyun Epilogue 

Part 1

Spoiler

On the day that Gongziqi died, Meishanjun did not have a drinking buddy and was so bored that he felt like he was getting moldy at home.

Coincidentally his little crow that was nicknamed to have a ‘third eye’, and was always outside observing matters flew back to drink some water. The shocking news the crow brought back immediately killed off most of Meishanjun’s decadent alcoholic cravings. 

How can someone just die like that. After all he’s half an immortal, and can easily live for a few hundred years before reincarnating. Moreover... moreover Meishanjun has never met any immortal that loved life the way Gongziqi did, someone who enjoyed every pleasure that life offered, and maximized fun in every way. 

How could someone like that bear to die? 

Meishanjun couldn’t remain calm. He quickly changed and got on his bullock cart to look for his friend’s remains. 

When Gongziqi was alive, he was extravagant and showy and spent money like water to enjoy the best of everything. But when he died, he hid in a deserted valley. He went so quietly that he didn't even prepare a grave for himself. 

Meishan Jun remembered his intimate relationship with his decades-old wine buddy. He felt a moment of sorrow, and was determined to find an auspicious burial site for Gongziqi.

But when he hurried to the valley, there was no body, and only one piece of clothing was left on the bluestone table, which gradually turned into ashes and was blown away by the wind.

Meishan Jun was stunned and went round the mountain a few times, but did not even find a strand of hair. He glared at the little crow doubtfully and asked, "Are you sure he is really dead? Even if he is half an immortal, he will have to leave a body behind. I have never heard of one turning to ash and disappearing”.

Little Crow's professional ability was suspected, and it flew away with tears. Meishan Jun looked around the mountain a few more times, and found nothing. He could only drive back in his bullock cart. In the future, he would often mourn and ponder over his wine glass but still couldn't understand what had happened.

Most people in the world think that Meishanjun knows everything, but there are always things in the world that even he can't figure out.

A long time ago, he met Gongziqi. Although he is just a half immortal, his appearance and talent is clearly superior to others. While he deliberately did not demonstrate his strength, Meishan Jun can see at a glance that Gongziqi is amongst  the best in the world. It's not that they didn’t secretly investigate. Once, he had even stolen the Golden Snake family's Heavenly Books to check. But even after poring over the Heavenly Books, Gongziqi’s origins remained a mystery.  Gongziqi is indeed the most mysterious and strangest person he has ever met.

Meishanjun wanted to ask in person, but he forgot every time he started drinking. After a long time, Meishanjun felt that this person shared his temperament, and decided to get rid of his secret thoughts. Why not treat it as if Gongziqi simply  jumped out of a rock? 

So Meishan Jun really couldn't figure out how such a person could die. For a long time, he shut his doors and refused to see any guests. He tried to recall Gongziqi’s appearance and what he said the last few times they met. Even after getting a headache from all the thinking, he still couldn’t recall any suspicious points. In the end, he could only sprinkle some wine to the moon for his deceased friend with a long sigh.

With a blink of an eye, over ten years passed. For immortals, ten years is like the time it takes to make a cup of tea.

On that day, Meishan Jun suddenly felt melancholic for no reason and dearly missed having a drinking buddy. Just as he was holding a wine cup and sighing, the gatekeeper spirit came in with an odd expression and reported “Master, there is a youth outside with a delivery of fine wine. He claims to be an old friend of yours".

Meishan Jun was sure that he didn’t know any young man who was an old friend, and curiously went out to understand the situation.

The lilac flowers outside the door were booming beautifully. A small carriage had stopped by the bridge and a young man stood by the carriage. He was slender, with lustrous long hair, and wore a long white robe embroidered with black edges. He was admiring the saffron flowers near the wooden bridge with his hands behind his back.

Hearing the footsteps, the youth slowly turned around. Meishan Jun was so stunned that he was temporarily rendered speechless.

The youth’s appearance and manner clearly resembles Gongziqi who has been dead for over ten years! But he is still young, and carries a trace of youthful tenderness on his cheeks. However, how can a youth have such cold and sophisticated eyes?

When the youth saw that Meishanjun was in a daze, he smiled lightly, and said with a low voice "Meishan, I brought over some jars of "Drunken Dreams". It wasn’t easy to get them from the fox family in the west, so we can’t waste them."

Meishan Jun opened his mouth in shock, and shakily pointed at him. After gurgling and spluttering, he finally spat out "... Gongziqi?!”

The youth frowned slightly, then smiled again: "Call me Fu Jiuyun. In this life the parents treated me very well, and I can't bear to discard my name. I couldn’t bear to leave them until they were buried, otherwise I would have visited you a few years earlier."

It wasn't until most of the ”Drunken Dreams" were gone that Meishan Jun had some understanding of his situation. 

The ancient gods and demons had a great war, and evil ghouls and spirits wrecked havoc in the mortal world, killing endless mortals. Yin Mountain had a divine dragon, that created a soul lamp. At the cost of rebirth and endless suffering, four mortal souls were recruited to activate the supreme power of the soul lamp and peace finally returned to the mortal world. 

Thousands of years later, the soul lamp was finally extinguished, and disappeared into mortal world. The gods were no longer around to claim the soul lamp and eventually a lamp spirit was born from the soul lamp. At first, the spirit was invisible and ignorant. He only wandered around the soul lamp daily, and mostly slept. After thousands of years, it finally developed his own consciousness and intelligence, and can longer continue to stay in the world. From then on, he started an endless journey of reincarnation.

After a mortal’s death, the soul will cross the underworld bridge. Before reincarnation, it is necessary to drink the water of forgetfulness to remove all previous causality and matters from the past life. However, he did not have the qualification to drink the water of forgetfulness, and could only bring along memories of his past life into reincarnation again and again, which caused unbearable pain and misery.

After dozens of reincarnations, even a person made of stone will also feel worn out. And so he began to cultivate immortality. Once he becomes an immortal, he will no longer die be tortured by reincarnation.

"It's just that I have cultivated for so long, and still feel very empty." Fu Jiuyun drank four or five jars of ”Drunken Dreams", and yet didn’t seem to be drunk. Meishan Jun could only run out with a green face and vomit before coming back to drink. He secretly gritted his teeth at Fu Jiuyun’s robust physique. 

"I think you're living a happy life." Indulging in women and having a good time every day.

Fu Jiuyun smiled, but there was some melancholy in his eyes: "If you are like me, there is no difference being dead or alive. You can’t see an end and life is empty."

Meishan Jun was silent.

The lifespan of immortals is also extremely long, but no matter how long the lifespan it will one day end. Entering the underworld after death and drinking the water forgetfulness will lead to a brand new and unknown beginning. Life is fresh and mysterious because the unknown is interesting. If life is like Fu Jiuyun’s, it is indeed not very interesting, or even boring, but a torture.

"Shall I find some time to light up the soul lamp and let you rest for a while?" Meishan Jun squinted drunkenly and offered his enthusiastic help.

"It is a great sin for immortals to take mortal souls, not to mention that the world is peaceful now. Spirits and mortals are living peacefully so why disrupt the peace and make the world suffer due to the suffering of one person?"

Meishan Jun could only maintain his silence.

After enough wine and food, Fu Jiuyun drove away in a little carriage, and even consoled Meishanjun before he left: "I have my own pleasures, so you don't have to think about it."

He indeed had places for fun and extravagance. Within a few years, Fu Jiuyun was known all over the southern countries. This person is musically talented, good with the fairer sex, and managed to stir many young ladies' romantic hearts, and separated many couples who had different dreams in the same bed. Men would  grit their teeth upon hearing his name, while women would blush and fantasise.

The romantic tactics accumulated over thousands of years made him unstoppable, driving women crazy with desire.

Meishan Jun thought that he would continue to live like this, but one day Fu Jiuyun suddenly came to the door, but this time instead of delivering wine, he seemed confused and said, "There is a girl ... somewhat pitiful, help me to check her fate."

Meishan Jun was very puzzled, and he followed Fu Jiuyun in his bullock cart to a battlefield. The battle was fierce, with smoke and blood everywhere. He couldn't help frowning and covering his nose, and asked somewhat helplessly, "What is this for? Why are we here?"

Fu Jiuyun did not speak, but pointed to the southern edge. There were a few broken old chariots, and seven or eight bodies on the ground. One chariot was carrying a large drum. Only a delicate looking young girl that was covered with blood is persistently struggling to beat the drum to encourage the troops. She has almost became a blood person, and blood continued seeping through the thin armor. However, the drum beats and shouts became stronger and stronger, as if it will never let up until death.

"I have been staying in Zhouyue country and earning some money by making figurines. This woman is the Zhouyue third princess, and I... happened to know her. Now Zhouyue is invaded by the barbarians, and almost destroyed. Can you help me to check her fate, can she live on? "

Meishan Jun was taken aback: "Are you planning to save her? No way! This woman has much darkness between her brows, and will die soon. To save her is to go against Heaven's Will and you will surely be punished!"

Fu Jiuyun's eyebrows tightened, and he kept quiet. He watched the last drop of blood drain from Third Princess’ body, until her soul was separated from the body, and went to the underworld.

Seeing his gloomy look, Meishan Jun started to understand: "Jiuyun, do you like her?"

Fu Jiuyun seemed to suddenly wake up. He hesitated and then shook his head: "It's not... just a pity..."

He had made a small figurine of a woman by the city moat that day, and the Third Princess came disguised as a man. She was very charming when she smiled, looked very naive, and was really a cute young lady. She wasn’t on a night escapade, but asked him very seriously while holding one of his paintings: "Why is your name Fu Jiuyun, but the seal on the painting is Gongziqi?"

This is the first time someone asked this question, and Fu Jiuyun couldn't help laughing: "There was a renowned painter named Shengping Jiazi in ancient times, why did does he also have name called Jiang Hui?"

The Third Princess realized that it was such a simple question, but she actually ran out to ask, was rather embarrassed.

That day, her face was even redder than a sunset. Fu Jiuyun felt that even the sunset glow couldn’t compare.

But the beauty had passed away right in front of him.

Fu Jiuyun spent a long time in Meishan Abode, and just drank wine every day. Meishan Jun is not familiar with this situation. Since he said that he did not like the Third Princess, so he must be unhappy because he saw a woman dying in front of him. So Meishanjun tried to console him from time to time.

Later, Fu Jiuyun only asked: "Can she be reincarnated? Where is her reincarnation now?"

Meishan had a little crow with a third eye to peer into the mortal world, and soon obtained the exact information: "Now reborn in the Western Qiguang Kingdom and still a woman. However, her life is not good, will die of illness by seventeen.

And so Fu Jiuyun left for another hundred years. He secretly observed her frail and sick body, and occasionally wanting to help. But recalling that this will go against Heaven’s Will, he had to suppress the urge.

It is unknown what this girl had done, and she was reborn several times. But each time she was sick or poor, or abused by the husband, and always died young.

He felt that he wanted to see she being happy in one lifetime, where she can die while smiling. This way, his heart will finally be at ease.

But her life was just so miserable that when she finally married a good husband in this life, she was killed by a bandit on the way back to her family. When Meishan Jun hurried over, he saw Fu Jiuyun sitting in the carriage in the clouds, looking on helplessly and with melancholy as she died.

"You can’t look at others like this all day." Meishan Jun said helplessly. "What's wrong with you? Is life so boring that all you can do is to observe reincarnation of others?"

Fu Jiuyun thought for a while: "If I rescued her, what kind of punishment do you think Heaven will give?"

Meishan Jun shook his head: "Who dares to tamper with fate? Don't mess around. There is no time for regret if you end up destroying your soul! This child has suffered for ten consecutive lifetimes and will surely be extremely fortunate in the next one. Just leave her alone. "

Fu Jiuyun nodded silently: "... you are right, I've been confused recently."

Sure enough, he stopped observing the mortal reincarnation. He just drank and drew every day, but it was unknown what he was thinking. Later, he felt that the mortal music realm was too mediocre and wanted to compose a masterpiece for the ages. And that life was too boring so he went to Xiangqu Mountain and recognised a demon turned immortal as a teacher. He guarded the Soul Lamp, and messed around with various female disciples and seemed to live a life of leisure.

Meishan Jun drank with him a few times, and recalling that he was once obsessed with the girl, and briefly mentioned: "She is now born in the Eastern Great Yan Kingdom, as the only Imperial Princess. This life should be excellent."

He did not foresee that this sentence caused many disasters.

Part 2

Spoiler

Fu Jiuyun once devoted all his energy to compose half of the Eastern Wind Peach Blossom song. He was unbearably proud and took it to show off to everyone, even searching for dancers all over the world, but no one could dance to the song the way he wanted. He could only sigh and said to Meishan Jun: "There is no confidant in this life. No one in the world can understand my music even after three thousand years."

Meishan Jun knew nothing about music, and had no interest at all, but seeing that his old friend has recently been enjoying life and stopped carrying a vacant and bored look, he was also happy for Fu Jiuyun, so he joked: "Don’t you know how to paint? Draw the ideal woman in your heart on the paper and use magic to get her to show you the dance. It's so easy. "

Meishan Jun just casually mentioned it, but Fu Jiuyun actually created the painting. After thinking hard for three days, he came up with an immortal method so that painting showed an illusion of the people painted, as if they were right in front of your eyes.

When Meishan Jun saw the painting, and he nodded repeatedly: "Not bad. Are these the dancers you have met before? They are indeed incomparably beautiful."

Fu Jiuyun smiled slightly: "Although it's a song for a group dance, you still need a lead dancer. It's just that I still can't figure out who the lead dancer should be. I’ll leave it for now."

Somehow Meishan Jun thought of the girl who suffered through ten lifetimes, so he brought it up to Fu Jiuyun. Fu Jiuyun had to think about it for a while before he recalled who Meishan Jun was talking about. It can be seen that Fu Jiuyun has been living well recently. Hearing that her current life was great, he had some interest: "Oh? If that's the case, I will go and have a look."

At this time, he was already a disciple of the Xiangqu Mountain Lord, and it was not convenient to use his real name. So he put on a mask and had a blast in the Great Yan Kingdom while using his old name Gongziqi.

After more than 100 years, the secret techniques of the imperial dynasty have gradually become more and more complicated, and Meishan Jun’s elder disciple brother have also stayed in the palace to teach the white paper immortal technique to the imperial family. With him around, Fu Jiuyun was a little embarrassed to break the magical wards to go into the palace. So just like before, he created figurines by the river, painted landscapes, or sketched flowers and birds. He purposely used immortal methods so as to draw attention and lure the Imperial Princess out of the palace so that he can see how is she.

But the Imperial Princess is still young, and the Great Yan imperial family is stricter and more solemn, unlike the casual indulgence of Southern Zhou Yue Kingdom. So even after staying by the Huaidai river bank for half a year, he did not manage to meet the Imperial Princess, but he did meet the mischievous Second Prince.

At that time, Fu Jiuyun was drawing a branch of red plum. He wanted to show off so he drew with great flair. When the last of the red paint was done, he picked up the wine jug and took a drink, then sprayed the liquor on the drawing paper. Amidst cries of astonishment and exclamation, gentle white snow started falling and a gently trembling branch of red plum seemed to bloom in front of everyone, like fire in the snow.

The Second Prince's eyes almost popped out, and he pestered Fu Jiuyun for the next three to four days. On the last day, he even chased the carriage and running along, shouted at the window: "Five hundred taels? One thousand taels? Two thousand taels? Sir please give the price! I sincerely ask for the painting! "

Fu Jiuyun lifted the curtains and smiled slightly: "Gentleman, I have never sold my paintings. It is useless even if you offer ten thousand taels."

The Second Prince had no choice but to change his tune: "Sir please stop and allow me to look a bit longer at this immortal painting. I have not seen enough of it."

The carriage stopped, and Fu Jiuyun got out of the car and went to the tavern with the second prince. The Second Prince was soon so drunk and dizzy, he probably couldn’t even remember his last name. He started chattering: “Sir, let me borrow the painting for a few days ... I, I will definitely return it to you in a few days ... If you don’t believe me, just go to the palace to find me when the time is up... "

Fu Jiuyun thought for a moment and nodded with a sigh, "It's hard to find a confidant. If you love my paintings so much, how can I not agree?"

Although the Second Prince is slightly immature, his temperament suited Fu Jiuyun. Fu Jiuyun handed over the red plum and Eastern Wind Peach Blossom Song paintings to him and said with some emotion: "This is the Eastern Wind Peach Blossom Song. Although I have only created half the song, but I feel regret that no one in the world can dance to this song."

The Second Prince's eyes lit up: "I have a little sister who is good at singing and dancing since birth. Why don't you let her try?"

Fu Jiuyun didn't believe that the girl with ten lifetimes of poor fate had any talent in dancing. The so-called elegant singing and dancing should be just the flattery words of others for a pampered imperial princess who grew up in the palace. 

He just smiled and did not answer.

The Second Prince was gone for a few days. When came back, he indeed returned the paintings. He also brought Fu Jiuyun a message from the Imperial Princess: "Please finish the Eastern Wind Peach Blossom Song. If you can finish it, I can dance it. "

So arrogant, and so confident.

Fu Jiuyun was amused and somewhat peeved. This girl had lived wretchedly for ten lifetimes and unexpectedly became so brave in this lifetime. He wanted to temper the arrogance of this little girl. As a girl, it was better to be gentle and forbearing. So he asked the second prince to convey his provocative message: "There is no problem completing the song. If the imperial princess can dance well, this humble one will give his two best paintings to her. But if the imperial princess can’t dance, then the whole Great Yan Kingdom will know of her unwarranted arrogance."

He wanted to find out the Imperial Princess’ reaction to his provocation, but unexpectedly Meishan Jun sought him for a drink, so he put it aside. Meishan Jun notice that he seemed to always have a smile on his lips, and couldn't help teasing him: "What happened? Your lucky love star is activated? Which girl caught your eye?"

Fu Jiuyun didn't move, and lightly said: "Lucky love star? Who dragged me along to see Miss Xin..."

Before he could finishing his speech, Meishan Jun ran away like a daughter-in-law, covering her face, and then quibbled: "I only treat her as my sister!"

Fu Jiuyun just laughed. These few days he decided not to go to the riverbank, only staying at Meishan Abode. He found a quiet room to focus on finishing the second half of the Eastern Wind Peach Blossom Song.

It is unknown how the imperial princess responded to his provocation, but he felt inspired by the challenge. It was as if he spent his whole life to come up with a question that no one in the world could answer, the pride of his life. Yet he could not help feeling disappointed when everyone was defeated by the Eastern Wind Peach Blossom Song. Unexpectedly, the person who eventually rose to the challenge was her. He was slightly reluctant yet a little hopeful.

It is extremely difficult to find true confidants. Okay, little girl, let’s see what you are capable of?

The completed Eastern Wind Peach Blossom Song music score was brought into the Great Yan Palace by the second prince. Within a few days, this bold yet innocent imperial princess disguised herself as a man and secretly followed her second brother to the riverbank to find him.

At that time, Fu Jiuyun had just finished drinking and left Meishan Abode. He hid under the clouds while driving his carriage to observe her. Thinking to himself, the child hasn’t change much, and still wore men's clothing while thinking that everyone is blind. After ten miserable lifetimes, he finally saw her having a carefree and pampered look while carrying a sweet smile on her tender cheek, and he couldn't help thinking of the Third Princess of Zhou Yue Kingdom from many years ago.

Fortunately, she was blessed in this life. Just laugh like this, and hopefully nothing will change forever.

The imperial princess waited for a whole day, and finally went back angrily. Fu Jiuyun thought that she looked very cute when she was angry and couldn't help quietly following the carriage. But just as he was about to arrive at the palace, he was intercepted - it was Meishan Jun’s eldest fellow disciple, the half-immortal old gentleman.

"Gentleman Gongziqi, please stop here. The imperial princess is still young and incapable of dealing with your tricks." The old gentleman thought that he wanted to extend his demonic claws towards the innocent and lovely little imperial princess, and quickly came out to protect the her.

Fu Jiuyun didn't like being misunderstood, and he didn't like to explain. He laughed lightly: "What if I insist on eating her?"

The old gentleman looked at him embarrassedly: "The old cow eats the tender grass but not like this. Your cow is too old, and her grass is too tender." 

[translation note: 老牛吃嫩草 is an idiom meaning a May December romance when the man is significantly older. Literally means “old cow eat tender grass”]

Fu Jiuyun was amused by his humorous appearance and jumped off the carriage to explain sincerely: "I just want to see how she is living now. I have no other intentions, and the old gentleman does not have to worry."

The old gentleman was relieved: "I heard from Meishan that Gentleman Gongziqi has seen her ten unfortunate lifetimes. Her fate should be excellent in this life, as long as you don't interfere."

Fu Jiuyun was puzzled, and the old gentleman said thoughtfully: "Gentleman is an existence beyond the mortal realm, with no ties with mortals. You have seen her ten lifetimes, and unexpectedly formed an ill fate. If you are in contact, it’s hard to predict how her life will be. "

Bad luck can be produced just by looking? What sort of logic is that? Fu Jiuyun thought for a long time in the carriage and decided not to visit her again. It was the same as before, he did not owe her anything, so why observe her for another lifetime?

But after making up his mind not to look, he felt very empty and nothing seemed interesting. It was as if he gave up something very precious, and he felt regretful and unwilling.

He secretly broke the Great Yan Palace ward at night and slipped to the princess's Jingyan Palace. It is no big deal to peek at her, right? They still have a gamble! This childish excuse made him feel better, and he quietly observed into her sleeping face in the darkness.

The imperial princess is still young, with childish features and was peacefully pressing down the quilt with her hand. The ten white jade-like fingers were very delicate and lovely. Fu Jiuyun gently picked one up, turned it over and placed it in front of his eyes, carefully reading the palm for her.

In this life, her life was indeed really good. Her father is kind and her mother loving, life is smooth till old age, and her marriage will be full of happiness.

Fu Jiuyun felt a sense of contentment in his heart, and was about to let go, when he noticed that she moved and was awake. He didn't have time to hide, or perhaps he secretly didn't want to hide, and wanted her to see him, to know that there was such a weird person who peeped at her for ten lifetimes without her knowledge.

The Imperial Princess’ reaction was obviously not so wistful. She was so frightened that she could not even shout.

Fu Jiuyun cast a spell to leave in an instance, leaving a note behind: Pretty lady, but dressed as a man, ugly ugly! Agreement of song and dance, forget not forget not.

Perhaps she will cry when her spirits are dashed? He wanted to laugh at his little mischief, but instead the Imperial Princess shouted: "Gongziqi! I will surely win! Just you wait!"

He almost fell off the roof beam.

This peek made the old gentleman feel very helpless. He went to Huanhe River and waited for Fu Jiuyun for several days, but Fu Jiuyun intentionally avoided the old gentleman. After all, Fu Jiuyun felt a little guilty, but he also felt a sense of childlike happiness and expectation. He hasn't felt this way for a long long time.

When drinking with Meishanjun, he couldn't help but say: "Maybe... this time the Eastern Wind Peach Blossom Song can really find its owner."

Meishan Jun felt very curious: "So what if you find the owner? You will marry her?"

It seemed that Fu Jiuyun had never thought about this, but after being questioned, he silently drank the fine wine and was quiet for a long time.

Meishan Jun laughed and shook his head proudly: "What's so difficult about marrying her? Fly to the palace and snatch her away! I'll be the matchmaker..."

"Xin Mei's figurine ..." Fu Jiuyun only said a few words and MeiShanjun once again hid his face and ran away angrily: "Just you wait, just you wait!"

He didn't manage to wait for Meishan Jun's revenge, but instead got the Eastern Wind Peach Blossom Song on the Zhaoyang stage.

There were so many people on the stage, but he understood that she made the bet for fun. Moreover the dance wasn’t just meant for him, and is mostly meant to let the man in the dragon chair laugh.

But so what? He asked himself, so what?

Now that her flaming red skirt brushed past the white stone railing on the stage, the thousands of flowers under the stage could not compare to her smile. He came up with an unsolvable problem, and she gave the best answer. It is his heart’s desire. After wandering in the world for three thousand years, three thousand years! It is as if it was all for this moment.

He told Meishan Jun the answer to the question that he failed to respond before: "I want her, and I will take her away."

Meishan Jun always thought he was kidding. So this time he was really shocked and muttered: "Hey ... Are you serious? Her life is very fortunate, but it has nothing to do with you ..."

Part 3

Spoiler

Fu Jiuyun felt that he had never been so immature before. Those twisted guts that used to deal with women have been twisted into a straight one.

What does she like? What does she dislike? He repeatedly broke into the palace at night, is it a form of disrespect to her?

After brooding for half a day, he finally left her two paintings and a note and was all sweaty when he came out. She is a small fish at the bottom of his heart, swimming here and there freely, and he was unsure if she will fall for this bait?

Fu Jiuyun waited for a long time by the riverside, and it gradually started to rain. He was holding an oil-paper umbrella. The young man by the river looked very dazzling in the drizzle. The Great Yan people were quite liberal. From time to time, some bolder girls would came over to ask, only to be absentmindedly dismissed by him.

The river was gurgling, and the dense raindrops that fell on the surface of the river left pits and bumps behind, just like his nervous heart.

The rain continued intermittently, and he quietly counted each crystal clear water droplet that rolled off the willow tree leaves. He looked forward to the little fish catching the bait, but wasn’t sure when she will catch the bait? He was also a little afraid of her coming. She is young and innocent. What would you say to make her understand?

If she comes, I will take her away and change her life. If she isn’t willing to... well, if she isn’t willing should I knock her out and run away? No, no, this isn’t good, need to be more gentle...

He waited for more than half a month by the riverside but the Imperial Princess never came. So he went to the Zhaoyang stage and saw the embracing figures of the Imperial Princess and Zuo Zichen.

Meishan said, "Fortunately, you were not reckless this time. This girl has an immortal fate, and this Zuo Zichen has a marriage fate with her. The two will be married, and eventually cultivate to become immortals, to make up for her ten unfortunate lifetimes. How will you be able to give her a better fate? Fu Jiuyun, you better stop being obsessed. From now on I will not let the little crow help you to find her, let it go!"

Fu Jiuyun felt that he has encountered the biggest problem in his life.

She will become an immortal?

Become an immortal. 

When you become an immortal, you will live a long life, and moreover she will be accompanied by her lover. It is really an extremely good life, and indeed very fortunate.

What... about him? What should he do?

Meishan Jun sighed: "Isn't it just a dance? I really don't believe that no other woman in the world can dance to it. I'll find one who can dance better for you. Stop thinking about her. After looking at her for ten lifetimes, have you not seen enough? "

He hasn’t seen enough. So it turned out that Zuo Zichen will give her a destined happy marriage. His little Imperial Princess was very innocent and everyone could see the single-minded love that she is unable to contain in her heart. At this moment, if someone asks her who is Gongziqi, she has probably forgotten.

There is no salvation. They are saved but he cannot be saved. It has nothing to do with who danced well. Once you have encountered true love, you cannot find another that can compare*. Theirs is called destiny. Him and her can only be called ill fated. He also felt that he was crazy, inexplicably observing a woman for ten lifetimes, inexplicably falling in love, and inexplicably leaving eventually.

[translator note: author used 曾经沧海难为水,除却巫山不是云 which literally translates as “once you have seen the ocean others cannot be considered water, none apart from the Wu mountain can be considered clouds”. It expresses that once you have encountered true love, you cannot find another that can compare/replace]

In his long and endless reincarnation, this will probably be a small ripple. After a few thousand years, he may not even remember what she looks like.

It's just that he is really unwilling.

He counted the water droplets, counted thousands and tens of thousands of times, but she didn’t turn up, and finally he can no longer wait for her.

Fu Jiuyun went back to Xiangqu mountain, where he originally thought to take away the soul lamp, and then find a beautiful place with the Imperial Princess to live happily forever. But now he feels that although the world is so big, it makes no difference where he lives.

The female disciple Qing Qing saw that recently he has been depressed and unhappy, and could not help teasing: "Your personality has changed after going out for so long? A few days ago, Huai Shan and the gang of little girls asked you over to drink but you refused. What are you feeling troubled over? "

Fu Jiuyun thought for a while: "I'm thinking about being the big stick that separates the loving couple."

Qing Qing couldn't help saying: "You stand right there, you will fall apart before you can even be the stick. But it’s best to do less of such immoral deeds? It’s rare to find true love in this world."

Fu Jiuyun seriously considered again, nodded, and then smiled slightly: "indeed, you said it well."

He didn't need to be the one who gave her happiness. If she didn't fall in love with someone else, he could have given her anything she wanted and pampered her to the heavens. Now that she is in love with someone else, except for Zuo Zichen everyone else would be hell for her. He wanted to keep her to see her laugh. But if he was happy but caused her to be sad, why not suffer a little and instead see her laugh more happily.

He is a spirit with a stronger heart than mortals, and is not afraid of some pain that is hard to erase.

After Fu Jiuyun spent some leisurely time in Xiangqu Mountain, the Mountain Lord somehow heard of a treasure in the Western Qiong Kingdom Mausoleum, named Joint Heart Mirror. It is said that if men and women in love go to the mirror to have a look, the mirror will reflect the appearance of the two if it is a match made in heaven. If it is not meant to be, the mirror will remain blank.

The old Mountain Lord has always been interested in these weird treasures, and was moved to acquire it. Coincidentally Fu Jiuyun recently felt bored and decadent, and volunteered to help grab the treasure, taking it as an excuse to do something and take his mind off matters.  

After waiting for more than a year at the Emperor's Mausoleum, the War Ghost and Xin Mei* never returned. Fu Jiuyun was sick of seeing the green mountains and waters in the Emperor's Mausoleum everyday, and left a note behind for them. He planned to enjoy himself along the way back, playing from the bottom of the sea to the Northwest Tianyuan Kingdom. 

[translation note: Xin Mei is the girl that Meishan Jun is in love with, and the “war ghost” is her husband. The novel about them has been completely translated to English - FJY makes an appearance in the novel too. Anyone interested to have the link?]

Unexpectedly the borders around the ports were heavily fortified, and the people in town had been driven away. There were thousands of people who patrolled the mountains and guarded the ports daily, as if they were expecting an enemy.

Fu Jiuyun was curious and secretly captured a soldier for questioning, "What is this for? Will there be war?"

A spell had been cast on the soldier and he was surrounded by darkness. Trembling with panic, he said in a rush: "It's theTianyuan Kingdom! That day, the destined crown prince ordered the demon army to sweep across other countries ... Several small countries around Qiong Kingdom have been invaded, and it is also said that the Eastern Great Yan Kingdom was destroyed not long ago! The Emperor feared that Tianyuan’s spies have infiltrated Qiong Kingdom, so he sent troops to guard the border... "

Fu Jiuyun only heard the words "Great Yan Kingdom was destroyed", and his heart almost stopped beating.

Great Yan Kingdom should only be destroyed at least ten years later. And where did the Tianyuan destined crown prince come from and how did he have the capability to gather the scattered demon tribes to fight for him?

He didn't ask further, and summoned a spirit bird to rush to Great Yan.

But Great Yan Kingdom no longer existed in this world. 

The Left Minister committed treason, and the demon army led by the Tianyuan crown prince had crushed the Great Yan army like broken bamboo, and set fire to the Great Yan Palace which burned for a month. Those once magnificent palaces have been burnt to ashes, leaving only some broken walls.

And the Great Yan Imperial Princess had vanished during the catastrophe.

Fu Jiuyun couldn't believe his eyes. Wasn’t it said that her current life is extremely good? Wasn’t it said that there is an immortal fate? But... the kingdom is destroyed and her family dead, what sort of pain is that? She had an even worse death than in previous lives!

He wandered through the ruins for a long, long time, and there were many charred corpses. Every corpse he saw was hair raising, feeling like it resembled her, and hoping that it was not her.

When the anxious Meishan Jun came to him, he was still rummaging through the ruins as if he wanted to find a miracle.

"There are also times when I see wrongly!" Meishan Jun's face was green with anger. "The national adviser of Tianyuan Kingdom is really f-king not simple! The man with unparalleled destiny can also be suppressed by him, and to forcefully go against heaven to change lives. Finding a demon to replace! How many people's lives have been messed up, this time it's really a big mess!"

Fu Jiuyun's eyes were red and he held Meishan Jun, his voice hoarse: "Imperial Princess? Dead or alive?"

Meishan Jun spread his hands: "I can't find her, it must be that my elder disciple brother has cast a curse on her, just to prevent you from peeping..."

Fu Jiuyun pushed him away, stumbled onto the spirit bird, and searched everywhere aimlessly.

He didn't know where to search. He once observed her destined life so high up, never thinking that there will be a day she cannot be found.

It turns out that the world is so big, how many years will it take to find a grain of sand in the vast sea?

Don’t even know if she was dead or alive.

With the last glimmer of hope, he returned to Xiangqu Mountain to find Zuo Zichen. Unexpectedly his memories had been sealed up, and he has forgotten everything that happened in Great Yan Kingdom. He is even blinded in both eyes and has become a handicapped person.

The girl standing next to him is no longer the Imperial Princess, but another beautiful unknown girl with a proud and indifferent look.

"Are you asking about the Imperial Princess?"

The girl's name was Xuan Zhu, and she was a Great Yan princess. Her face changed when she heard about the Imperial Princess.

"I don't know, probably dead long ago."

She seemed to deeply hate the Imperial Princess.

Fu Jiuyun went to see the Mountain Lord and wanted to ask what happened to Zuo Zichen.

The Mountain Lord was enjoying his latest collection in the treasure vault. There are the two magical paintings which Fu Jiuyun had personally gifted to the Imperial Princess.

Seeing that Fu Jiuyun was staring at the two paintings, the Mountain Lord felt quite proud: "This is a magical painting by Gongziqi, a treasure that can't be bought even with twenty thousand gold. No wonder you keep staring at it."

Fu Jiuyun abruptly turned and stared at him coldly, quietly saying: "... How did you get the painting?"

The Mountain Lord felt a little embarrassed and annoyed: "Naturally it was gifted by someone... why did you ask?"

Fu Jiuyun smiled: "Did someone send you the paintings so that you will seal Zuo Zichen's memories?"

The only one who can execute the seal spell so perfectly and superbly can only be the Mountain Lord. He has always been good at weird curses and seals.

The Mountain Lord froze: "Jiuyun! You are too rude!"

"Let me guess." Fu Jiuyun didn't seem to fear his anger. "Zuo Zichen knew that his father was going to commit treason, and the Left Minister feared that he would leak the news. So he gifted you the two magical paintings, so that you will trap Zuo Zichen on Xiangqu Mountain. Am I right? "

The Mountain Lord was furious and turned around to go back through the curtain without saying a word.

Fu Jiuyun didn't have anything else to ask. He finally understood how everything happened.

The Tianyuan National Advisor went against the heavens to alter fate, and used the queen to birth the fierce demon that was raised by his own blood to replace the legendary destined one. That is why Tianyuan Kingdom has so many demon armies that can invincibly sweep the Central Plains, thereby bringing forward the time of Great Yan Kingdom’s destruction to ten years earlier.

This is the first alteration to the Imperial Princess’ fate. The destruction of the Kingdom.

And he himself made a bet with the Imperial Princess that day and lost two paintings. The same paintings that were used by the Left Minister to bribe the Mountain Lord. Without Gongziqi’s paintings, it's hard to say whether the Left Minister can touch the iron heart of the Mountain Lord. After all, not many treasures in the world can tempt the Mountain Lord, not to mention to tempt the Mountain Lord into taking action against his own disciple. The Left Minister may not have been able to make the request.

This is the second alteration to the Imperial Princess’ fate. A love robbed.

Fu Jiuyun finally understood what the old gentleman meant by ill fate.

Everything was too subtle, and he thought he had taken a step back, only to now realize that it was too late. The ill fate began the moment the he made the bet with the Imperial Princess.

It was too late to take back any actions.

Fu Jiuyun had no more interest in life, and stayed in Meishan Abode all day long. He had never been so wretchedly drunk in his life. After being drunk, he just vomited and made a mess, as if he was going to die.

Meishan comforted him: "This matter has nothing to do with you. The Tianyuan National Advisor went against the heavens, and sooner or later will suffer divine retribution. You don’t have to regret not avoiding her. What will come will come. There are other treasures apart from the two magical paintings, so why blame yourself?"

He was still thankful that the person who altered fate wasn’t Fu Jiuyun, so naturally the divine retribution will not fall on him. His old friend can continue to live a carefree life.

Fu Jiuyun was dead drunk by the pond, struggling to roll over, and finally rolled to the bottom of the pond, leaving only a string of bubbles on the water surface. His long hair rippled under the water, spreading out like a black lotus.

Blame himself? No……

He floated to the surface, and crystal clear drops of water dripped down his eyelashes.

"... I only blame myself, that I failed to make up my mind to take her away."

If the heart is moved, then don’t regret it, don’t back off at the last minute, only to finally watch her fall to this point.

"I will wait for her next life, and this time I will not let anyone else."

He smiled and slowly closed his eyes.

Meishan Jun was speechless: "Fu Jiuyun, you can't be like this. Firstly, you shouldn't even intervene in her affairs, I will not help you to trace her again. Secondly, even if I want to help you, I'm afraid that I can't. Elder Disciple Brother has already cast a spell on her, and I can’t see her regardless of reincarnation, life or death. There are so many people in the world, where will you go to search?"

Fu Jiuyun thought for a while: "I will look one by one. Anyway my life is long, and I will surely find her."

Meishanjun's nose gradually turned red. He coughed twice and turned his head to give a soft sigh: "Look at you, what should I say..."

Fu Jiuyun splashed out from the pond and stretched out an empty wine glass, indicating for him to pour the wine.

Mei Shanjun sighed: "In my opinion, the girl may not have died. Elder Disciple Brother is over there, so it will not be so easy to die. Although we can't find her trace now, but there is still hope. What are your plans if she is still alive? Still stay drunk like a dead person?"

Fu Jiuyun gently put the emptied wine glass on the side, and thought for a long time, but finally gave a shallow smile: "Find her, accompany her. If I go against the heavens so be it."

He sank to the bottom again.

He is not afraid of anything. He is not a saint. He gave way once and will never do it a second time.

If she is still alive, if he can still find her, he will hold on tight and never let go. Let her eyes truly see him and look at him.

If she can laugh again, then there is absolutely no problem even if he has to do everything he does not want to do, and give everything he cannot give.

Ill fate? What about that? He will disturb her and give her a better life. That is his own ill fate, and it has nothing to do with her so he alone will bear all the consequences.

Spirits have very strong hearts, and are not afraid of pressure and waiting.

He really wasn't afraid of anything. While he is alive, he vowed to pamper and indulge her.

The ML and FL parting scene that should have been in the drama when the Soul Lamp was lit (the novel version is so much more emotional and touching right?): 

Spoiler

A slight breeze brushed past her, carrying the lingering broken sound of a bamboo flute. Qin Chuan listened uneasily for a long time, then suddenly broke into a run. All the blood in her body seemed to be rushing into her brain, and she even started to see many small stars filling her eyes.

She couldn’t be bothered that her skirt was cut by a stone, tearing into a big hole. She didn't dare to breathe, running and staggering to front of the house, where she saw that the bedroom window was partly opened. The intermittent sound of the flute that drifted out is clearly the Eastern Wind Peach Blossom melody.

Jiuyun!

She pushed the window open, but the next moment her eyes were gently covered by a pair of icy cold hands.

"Don't look." His voice was low and weak. "Why did you come back?"

She stubbornly clung on to his icy cold wrist, and suddenly felt very wronged: "Fu Jiuyun, what the hell are you doing? Let go!"

"Why didn’t you leave with him?"

"If you continue to talk nonsense, I will really get angry!"

"You will be scared if you look."

The hand moved away. The room was dim, as if painted with a layer of light ink. Fu Jiuyun's figure is also blurred, as if it was the silhouette of a random sketch in a landscape painting. The outline is there, but the inside is transparent, and cannot be seen clearly.

Qin Chuan quietly looked at his translucent face, and her turbulent blood settled down, freezing into condensed ice.

He smiled faintly and softly said: "It seems like I can't accompany you in the Soul Lamp. You have to stay alone in the world. I'm just worried that no one will take care of you."

She didn't move, she didn't panic, she didn't cry, she didn't show a look of fear nor despair.

She just quietly looked at him, concentrating and trying her best to find his facial features, his eyebrows, his eyes in that blurred silhouette...

At that moment, she felt that she knew everything, and yet she seemed to understand nothing.

She quietly asked: "... Why? Why become like this?"

Because…

Because... because he is not actually a human, but a spirit that grew from the Soul Lamp. When the Soul Lamp is lit, he will disappear, his soul will scatter, never to enter the cycle of reincarnation, removing all trace of him from this world. Mortals have already forgotten about his existence, and perhaps she will shortly forget as well.

But he didn't want to tell her. Perhaps even now he still had some small inferiority complex or some other messy thoughts that is bothering him.

Hoping that in her heart, he will always be good man, a complete man named Fu Jiuyun. A man that truly loved her from the bottom of his heart.

He is not a spirit, or anything else that that has nothing to do with mortals.

The biggest wish in this life is just to accompany her as a mortal, to spend a short lifetime together.

But the wish can only stop here.

Fu Jiuyun smiled and touched her head: "Silly child, don't cry. Give me a smile, you will forget me soon, so hurry and show me your smile?"

I will not forget!

Qin Chuan suddenly reached out to hug him, but his body gradually became more illusory and transparent, and her hands passed through his chest without any hindrance.

She can't touch him anymore.

"It'll be dawn soon," he said, "Chuan'er, dance 'Eastern Wind Peach Blossom' again, I want to watch."

Qin Chuan's hand slowly retracted, and her thin shoulders seemed as if they would collapse as she violently covered her face with her hands. 

After a moment, she suddenly looked up and smiled lightly: "Okay, I will dance, and you will play the music."

There is no precious golden pipa or jade pipa in the bedroom, only a rather-old pipa made from rosewood with a half-rounded belly and two broken strings.

Qin Chuan held the pipa in her arms, and Fu Jiuyun sat on the window sill and blew the bamboo flute lightly. The sound of the flute was melodious and gentle, like a spring breeze.

Throw the long sleeves like a flowing cloud. But she didn't have long sleeves, so she loosened her belt and rolled it.

She held the pipa and half-covered her face, the smile hidden behind the pipa is like a hibiscus in clear water, and the bright eyes are like a spark in the wilderness, burning spontaneously in the desperate situation, and they are amazingly bright, as if that gaze can burn.

As the bamboo leaves fell, she twirled in the wind and felt like she was back on the Zhaoyang stage.

There is only him and her on the stage, and the Eastern Wind  Peach Blossom melody is their fate and calamity.

The broken pipa can't hold the tune, the broken tune sounding like pearls scattering all over the floor. With a sudden twang, the last two old strings broke. She didn't mind, lifting it behind her head, tapping the panel with her fingers to create a crisp hollow sound.

She remembered many things, for a long time he was following behind looking for her. She didn’t tell him that at that time she wholeheartedly thought of going to see him by the riverside, but she didn't know the way there. Today she wholeheartedly  came back to find him, but he is about to disappear.

There is no way to keep anything, as if their destiny is like drifting sands.

Why did he have disappear? Why didn't he tell her anything?

Just like countless women who are about to be abandoned, she can ask those questions at the bottom of her heart.

But what is the point of asking? She believed that he never wanted to leave. So instead of wasting his last moment on questions, it is better to satisfy his heart’s desire and to let him go in peace.

She owed him too much, and this is the only way she can repay him.  

The darkness gradually faded away, and the pale blue morning light appeared in the sky. The sound of the flute gradually weakened and eventually turned into nothingness.

"Jiuyun ... I am true to you, and I have no regrets."

Tell him, tell him, tell him this one last time! Please God, don’t let the sun rise so fast! Let him hear! Let him know!

Qin Chuan suddenly turned her head. In front of her eyes the little courtyard was slowly turning into gray ashes completely.

That is the little kitchen where he often cooks, this is his painting room covered with paper and ink, as well as the bedroom, the main hall ... Before she could walk to the front, the entire small courtyard disappeared, leaving only an empty land. The tiger was also stunned. He sniffed left and right, then turned back looking wronged and puzzled and gave her a low growl, as if asking why.

She just quietly looked at the last remnant of the human silhouette. The bamboo flute shook in his hand and fell gently to the ground. He seemed to say something, but it was too soft and was blown away by the wind, so she could not hear clearly.

The light ink-like person finally dispersed like smoke, as if he had never existed in this world.

Qin Chuan took two steps, but her feet suddenly no longer had any strength, and she softly fell down, curling up as she hugged her knees.

The western sky gradually turned dark as the spirits of demons from all directions are gradually summoned by the soul lamp, condensing into a dark cloud that will not disperse. As long as the soul lamp is not extinguished, the demon cloud will not scatter.

Fearing this divine power, the tiger shrank into a ball and shivered, whimpering, as if it is crying.

The only wish of her life is that at this moment, the work will no longer have demons, and that the people who have been ravaged by demons are free.

She has saved many people in this world who were ravaged by demons.

And then, she watched her world shatter into pieces and completely collapse.

Can she be happy now?

No one answered, and Qin Chuan hugged her knees tightly, staring at the giant pillar of churning dark clouds, and sat like that for an entire day.

Where will she go? Where should she go? What to do next? Who to grow old with? Who to have children with, the whole family sitting in front of the bamboo forest and pointing at the words carved on the bamboo, laughing at the merry romance that year?

This world is huge, but there is no second Fu Jiuyun.

When Meishan Jun came, it was already dark. He was so desperate that he wasn’t even sitting in a bullock cart, and had rushed over on a floating cloud. Immediately shouting as he arrived, "How come the Soul Lamp is lit up so soon? Didn’t I ask you to tell me before lighting it up?!”

Qin Chuan was still sitting on the ground, not even moving, as if she didn’t see him.

Meishan Jun saw that she was the one sitting on the ground, and was shocked: "You are not dead?! How could that Soul Lamp... Ah! I know! It’s that girl! She and you... She is your blood relative! Why didn't I think of that before! She was the one who went to light the Soul Lamp?!"

Qin Chuan's lips twitched, and she whispered, "Uncle Master... are you here for Jiuyun? He is no longer around..."

Meishan Jun's face was miserably green: "Of course I know! The Soul Lamp is lit, so it’s a miracle if he can live! He forced me to swear to silence, but... but I should have told you earlier... I should have told you earlier..."

Suddenly he stopped speaking and looked at Qin Chuan's pale face. She stood up and walked a few steps towards him, then stretched out her hand as if to grab him for questioning but suddenly collapsed and was still.

—— Must you light the Soul Lamp, is there no wiggle room? Even if I will die, will you persist?

——You ... you don’t need to say that you will die for love... hurhur, this is very different from your usual style.

... ...

It turned out that he had told her, really told her before but she didn't believe it, and even cracked a very bad joke. So when she turned back to ask, he had insisted that it was just nonsense.

He gave her a really bad lie, one of the worst, but why did she believe it? Why simply believe it?

Oh, she chose to believe the lie, so that she would feel more at ease, without having to agonize between the Soul Lamp and him.

So it turned out... It turned out that the person who will die is not her. Those desperate hugs and lingering nights, hoping that the dawn will not come, belonged to him.

Oh right, when he finally left, did he say anything to her? She tried to recall but couldn't remember.

She also wanted to know, what expression did he have at that time, was it relief, reluctance, or his usual careless light smile?

Forget it, no need to think about it. Just go and ask him to find out? She should have thought of this simple method, just intercept him along the underworld and thoroughly ask all the things that should be said and asked. 

How can you still escape in the underworld?

Qin Chuan opened her eyes and saw the familiar Meishan abode guest room. She looked around doubtfully and whispered to the exhausted Meishan Jun who was sitting by the bed, "Why am I still alive?"

Meishan Jun was so tired that he didn’t even want to complain, he gave a long sigh: “Almost dead, don’t worry. That old demon National Adviser put a curse on you and inserted silver needles in your heart. If we can’t undo the curse, you can at most live for a year or two."

"I can't wait a year or two, just die now." Her intense eyes pierced Meishan Jun's fragile little heart, jabbing him until his nose turned red.

"Imperial Princess, don't think about dying and going to the underworld to look for him. If you live then you can probably see him in your lifetime. If you die you will never see him again."

"…… Why?"

Meishan Jun sighed again: "He is a spirit transformed from the Soul Lamp. I am afraid that even the gods don’t understand why he was created. If the Soul Lamp is not lit, he will only reincarnate over and over with his memories intact, without any release from guarding the Soul Lamp. Now that the soul lamp is lit... Alas, the spirit should be scattered and I don’t know where it has gone to rest? You can’t find him in the underworld so you might as well try to live. Perhaps in the future someone is able to extinguish the Soul Lamp, and he will be able to come back. "

Qin Chuan closed her eyes and said indifferently: "But I can't live for long, right?"

Meishan Jun paused for a moment: "That curse indeed cannot be undone, but it is not the end of the road. I'll find a way out for you. Who asked ... Sigh, who asked me to be so soft-hearted!"

He grabbed his sleeves and rubbed his red nose and eyes: "You just stay on in Meishan Abode and don't go anywhere. The Soul Lamp is currently locked in the Tianyuan Palace. Your wanted notices are everywhere, so you will die if you go out now. In short, just leave it to me. Who asked me to be your ill fated Uncle Master!"

Meishan Jun muttered and sobbed as he walked away. The room resumed it’s deathly silence, and the tiger put its chin on her hand and silently accompanied her. Qin Chuan turned her head with some effort, looking out at the brilliant autumn scenery outside the window. She remembered that when Fu Jiuyun was here the last time, he had leaned against the window sill while looking at her with a smile as she was having a lazy nap.

Why did he fall in love with her? Why didn't he say anything, only accompanying her silently? There were many, many questions she wanted to ask, always wanted to ask, but never asked. When someone is about to die, seeking all these answers only adds to the sadness. She had always been so cold hearted towards him.

Now the window sill is empty, and he is no longer in this world. There is no need to grieve or regret. This is the best and most complete revenge on her, and her tears seem to be taunting her.

It is as if he had never appeared, his clothes, shoes, paintings — everything about him has turned into ashes, and Gongziqi has been forgotten by mortals overnight. Only the bamboo flute that he had used was placed on the side of the pillow, carrying the faint scent from his sleeve that still lingers on.

Qin Chuan held the flute tightly in her arms, feeling as if he is still around and hasn’t left.

Outside the window, the verdant bamboo grove seemed vaguely like the little courtyard under Fengmian Mountain. Meishan Jun was probably worried about her being sad, and moved the bamboo forest from Fengmian Mountain to Meishan Abode.

She went outside and moved a stool to sit in front of the bamboo forest, counting them one by one. Both their names should be engraved on the tallest and thickest one. Even if everything else in the world related to him has disappeared, but the name engraved on the green bamboo will not disappear, proving that he has existed. And in her heart, she will not forget until the end of her life.

She put the bamboo flute on her lips and blew gently, but she did not know how to play the flute. For him the beautiful flute sounded exquisite but when blown by her, it sounded as if some ravens were making noise.

The human-form spirits in the bamboo forest that take care of the bamboo shoots couldn’t stand the noise, and held their heads and to come out to beg for mercy, asking her not to blow the flute.

Qin Chuan smiled slightly, looking at the spirits as if begging, and softly said, "Who knows how to play the flute? Teach me, okay?"

She didn't want to be like those mortals in the world, who has forgotten him after he disappeared. No matter if it’s music or painting, she can learn everything, just to be a little closer to him.

The breeze blew her clothes up and hugged her slowly. Qin Chuan pressed the bamboo flute to her lips and softly called, "Jiuyun."

He might be right behind her, gently agreeing. Touching her head, as gentle as the sun.

She felt satisfied again.

My beloved, I am waiting for you.

When you open your eyes again and look upon this world, maybe it will become strange to you. The leaves no longer shine, and the dusk was no longer as beautiful as a poem. The world that has lost its demon power has become mediocre and flat, no longer filled with bright and moving colors. Some people are singing, some are cheering; some are alive, some are dead.

But I will wait for you.

Perhaps by that time I will be gray-haired, with no teeth, and my speech will be unclear.

But I will still wait for you.

I will wait to hug you tightly. I will pray to heaven, and I will never let go again.

And this is how I wish it had ended... novel ending:

Spoiler

Past the water area and four exquisite palaces is the courtyard where Fu Jiuyun once lived. 

Qingchuan stood at the front door for a long time. Like most of the buildings in Xiangqu mountain, the door isn’t locked. When she opened the door and saw the familiar building, she couldn’t help smiling when she recalled all the beautiful memories when she stayed there. 

Small fishes are still swimming in the pond in the backyard. At this place, she once deliberately destroyed Fu Jiuyun's clothes while washing them, and then hung them all over the backyard, turning him green in anger. There are rooms on both sides of the corridor, and she once used cleaning as an excuse to smash the vases displayed on the cabinet. 

The bed board in the bedroom can still be pulled out. When she was his personal maid, she often pulled out the bed board to sleep. She often endured his sudden troublemaking in the middle of the night, such as boiling water and making tea, adding incense and finding more blankets, and other nonsense.

The mynah was still under the window, and as soon as it saw her, it started yelling: "Bad person! Liar! Liar!" 

Qin Chuan grabbed a handful of millet and shooked them temptingly in front of it: "Hey, let me hear you call me a good girl and I’ll let you eat, otherwise you will starve to death! Who is a liar?" 

Suddenly there was a familiar chuckle behind her. Her wrist shook, and all the millet scattered on the table. Before she could turn around, someone tightly hugged her from behind, and breathed warmly above her ear. 

His voice is mellow and soft, so familiar, and so calm: "Are you upset that I'm late?" 

Just like the first day they met in Xiangqu mountain. He didn’t seem to care and carried a hint of a smile. 

But she is already infatuated.

Ok, that’s all. I’m done with the translations. It’s so much work/time and I’m now much more appreciative of all the good translations that I’ve read over the years. 

It’s hard to maintain the lyrical nature of the phrases used or to translate some of the Chinese idioms etc. Have tried my best and hope you have enjoyed my translations as much as I’ve enjoyed the original novel. 

The parts I’ve translated are the parts that I wished the drama had retained/didn’t change as they would have added much more depth and meaning to the show. Plus more opportunities to FJY to be on screen instead of the 2nd leads... (sigh).

The remaining parts of the novel were not as memorable to me, except probably the part where the FL was tortured by the 2FL and needed ML to rescue her (which I thought added to the character/relationship development). 

4 hours ago, Adidaem said:

Meishan Jun sighed again: "He is a spirit transformed from the Soul Lamp. I am afraid that even the gods don’t understand why he was created. If the Soul Lamp is not lit, he will only reincarnate over and over with his memories intact, without any release from guarding the Soul Lamp. Now that the soul lamp is lit... Alas, the spirit should be scattered and I don’t know where it has gone to rest? You can’t find him in the underworld so you might as well try to live. Perhaps in the future someone is able to extinguish the Soul Lamp, and he will be able to come back. "

Omg this part makes so much sense!!! Why didn’t they keep this in the drama. Then it’s explained better how he can come back and it can makes it very drama for him to die and not asking QC to wait for him. Because even FYJ doesn’t know when the lamp will be extinguished. 

oh and the part about her in the forest I can see them film it beautiful as a transparent FJY lead his forehead to QC as he nod and agrees with her. So many scene that could make this more touching. 

regardless, thank you so much for all your efforts. :heart::heart::heart:

7 hours ago, Winterfairy said:

Omg this part makes so much sense!!! Why didn’t they keep this in the drama. Then it’s explained better how he can come back and it can makes it very drama for him to die and not asking QC to wait for him. Because even FYJ doesn’t know when the lamp will be extinguished. 

oh and the part about her in the forest I can see them film it beautiful as a transparent FJY lead his forehead to QC as he nod and agrees with her. So many scene that could make this more touching. 

regardless, thank you so much for all your efforts. :heart::heart::heart:

Most welcome. I seldom feel so strongly about a drama wasting it’s opportunity for a hit. For this drama I really feel that incorporating more from the original novel would have made it a much better and more popular drama.

And they wasted a good ML actor who can really emote and do justice to the scenes. When I read the novel, I really can imagine Zheng Yecheng in the pond scene at the end of Part 3 of the epilogue... or the ML and FL in the farewell scene when FJY was about to disappear. And yes the novel actually explains a lot more and makes the drama development more logical. (Instead we have the drama team adding rubbish scenes/plot lines for the 2ML and 2FL or even 3ML...)

Zhao Lusi is great in her latest drama Romance of Tiger and Rose. I hope Zheng Ye Chang’s next show will be a hit too. 

@Adidaem I’m waiting for LuSi’s Tiger and Rose to finished so I can binge watch. But honestly I think she’s ready for a more mature drama than this idol romance. After 3,000 Crows she should have done a more serious one. Then again she’s good in Tiger and Rose, and the ML is good looking too.

As for Zheng Ye Chang I feel the same as you! So far haven’t heard of any new role for him yet. I hope he’ll be in another costume drama.

Archived