Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2019] Aide/Chief of Staff Season 1& 2, 보좌관

22 minutes ago, luvabe said:

Also, I'm kinda surprised Kim Kap-soo has survived this long in a drama lol.

He is the main antagonist in this season so far and reason why TJ survives so they can fight it out to the end. 

• Like 5

When Jang Tae Joon and Kang Sun-Young were so close to put down Song Hee-Seob, something is discovered and they are at square one again.

I hated that Tae Joon sat down on his knees in front of Song Hee Seob. He did not use the information against the current Minister of Justice but I remember his words toward Sun Young. I will trust him. He will turn dark but I know he has a plan.

I hope season 2 will end with the distruction of Song Hee-Seob, Jo Gap Young and others like them.

"The viper has return with more poison." Yeah!
  • Like 6

Just watched ep 10. Shin Min-ah was right - the ending was way beyond my expectation. I won't spoil it for now in case some of you haven't watched it, but I'll share some thoughts about the ep:

• Jang Tae-joon, I can't believe you went that far :dissapointed: I guess he's beyond redemption now, but that's probably better for the viewers, because it can get really frustrating if he keeps straddling between good and bad.
  • Honestly DK kinda got on my nerves in this ep. TJ's actions were obviously incondonable but he had his reasons, and somehow I kinda understand them? It'll be interesting to see how DK sheds his naivete in season 2.
  • Yoon's loyalty to TJ. Wow. It's like, the more TJ becomes like Frank Underwood, the more Yoon becomes like Doug Stamper.
  • Song's smiles at TJ throughout this ep confused me. I have a feeling Song still considers TJ his protégé and so is pleased when TJ comes back to him, and proud when TJ gets his job done by the end of the ep.
  • Between now and November, should I rewatch all 10 eps?
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Jung Tae Jun went down on his knees as a soldier and a challenger whom Song could not refuse. He was on his knees but his body language was saying differently. His body erect, his hands in fists and his head held high. Song can't deny him because Song knows he was the best soldier on his team. In a way, Song also acknowledged and respected TJ's determination, certitude and single mindedness. He sees himself in TJ. Song after all came from a butcher family and was even mocked by his detractors for his  humble beginnings and yet fought his way to the highest office of the Justice Department with the help of TJ. He can appreciate the breadth of intelligence, information and influence TJ has that could have stopped Song from being appointed as the Minister of Justice and destroy CEO Lee and his boss Chairman Sung. That is the two-fisted machismo and audaciousness that Song understands. That is why even when everyone of the members of the Samil Club were against the nomination of TJ, Song still supported him. He knew that TJ will come up with a stunt like the goons sacking of the marketplace to impress the members of the Samil Club to admit and support his candidacy. Song hates men like Lee Sung Min, dislikes bootlickers like OSW only useful for no-brainer tasks but understands and appreciate men like TJ. There is a big difference though, Song knows how intelligent TJ is, more than himself. The last scene though where Ko Seok Man, Aide to KSY was in an "accident?" because he had the information from Hong Kong that could  destroy the members of the Samil Group was distressing especially for SY. JTJ's speech said it all. He is a shoo in for the nomination but will he win the election? 

My heart is breaking for KSY. I cried when she said she felt like she fell right before the marathon finish line. Not only did she lose the fight against Song but she lost a friend and a colleague to suicide and witnessing her Chief of Staff in an "accident" being carried by emergency staff to an ambulance and listening to TJ's acceptance speech of his nomination to be Assembly candidate to represent Seonjin City. It is so sad. I think though that TJ  as the one who gave Seok Man about the speech of Ah.  I cheered for and with her when she won the round of debate with Ah and Jo who were trying to oust her from the party by making her look like the Assembly Woman who supported abortion which was against the law. It was under review to be repealed not as a crime but  a choice but that was still  not passed. So when she brought out the campaign speech of Ah where he supported abortion to save the life of the mother and got Ah to recant his attack against her, I cheered. Jo said, that they were supposed to use that TV program to oust SY from the party and the Assembly but instead they managed to raise her approval ratings and made her a more formidable opponent. Her face of distress though when she saw her Chief Aide in a stretcher was so sad. I am guessing she knows that TJ had something to do with it?

OSW is more like a goon servant than Chief of Staff and his big disadvantage because he is unaware that is how he is perceived as. 

Hye Won seems to be the main go to guy for TJ and as everyone predicted will be the Chief Aide for TJ when he gets elected to the Assembly. Whom will DK work for? Probably SY? It will be a long wait for Season 2.

I love this show!!!

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted (edited)

I will watch both episodes back to back today . But from reading the posts , it seems like TJ had to sell his soul ? @zenya22 @luvabe Thanks for the recaps . My heart is breaking for KSY , but one of the things  I like about her is that she often appears gentle & the men mistake her as just a pretty face , but she’s smart and won’t allow to be bulldozed. Really won’t mind DK to be in her team.

The wait to November is too Long . I’ll have to rewatch before S2 as  I’m bound to forget details . If you guys know of anywhere doing recaps , pls put the link here . But at least we can come back to this thread to refresh our memories .

@larus I am not so fond of this new format as it kills momentum. The only upside is that we get more episodes ( another10 for S2) . Netflix wants to sell to an international audience , so they are testing out the ideas of having seasons like the American shows 

Ratings ended on a high 5.5%

Spoiler

Edited by triplem
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

JTJ gave a powerful speech of creating a world of equal opportunity at the ending scene which was ironically juxtaposed with demolition and destruction of the Seobuk Markets the markets whom Lee Sung Min was trying to save. DK was walking along the markets witnessing this looking helpless. but worse was the scene of Emergency Medical Techs extracting Seok Man from his car and putting him on a stretcher to the ambulance. It looks like the scene was made to look like a suicide? Also at the scene is a distressed SY looking helplessly at Seok Man, her faithful aide and friend being carried on a stretcher. JTJ has become the penultimate politician whom everyone is going to be afraid of, probably worse than Song. Jo repeated his mantra about JTJ, "the viper has returned with more poison" while watching JTJ's speech on TV.  My heart goes to SY, I cry for and with her. What is to become of my ship, will it sink in the future? 

Another thing I want to know and hope to see at the 2nd season are the wife and daughter of Lee Sung Min, what becomes of them. I hope to see them join SY to carry on LSM's legacy in their own way. 

• Like 5

Has LJJ ever considered going into politics? He sure delivered his speech with plenty of punch. ;)

I'm not sure what to make of the ending... As far as season endings go, it's decent in so far as it signals the end of an era and the beginning of another. It also has the added benefit of creating anticipation for the next season.

But as far as TJ's journey goes... it's hard to say where he's at. On one level it he appears to have entered a Faustian pact... he's sold his soul to the devil in order to gain fame and success. That's the obvious take from the last episode from the moment he went back to A.Song kowtowing to him. However, is that all it is? I sure hope not because it would break my heart. Because also in his nomination speech addressing the party, his voice has the edge of a man on the warpath. It's as if he's had a gutful of putting out fires, being at the mercy of uncontrollable, powerful forces and doing the bidding of others. All of which hasn't gotten him very far at all. The frustration is palpable. I doubt he's lost his desire to change the world but in truth, he's been slapped with the reality of his powerlessness even when he tries to do the best thing he can. That feeling of powerlessness was further compounded by LSM's suicide. Doing the right thing by everyone has taken him nowhere. And now it feels like he's taking one last big gamble.

I don't think TJ's lost his desire to "change the world" one bit. I imagine he's doing all this because he still believes he can... he says as much in his speech. I suspect he's escalating the process... the Seobu market incident is collateral... because he believes that dragging it out and biding one's time has made things worse. There is something egotistical about people who want to change the world and that belief that they're the ones to do it. The idealism that drives the egoism may be derived from something virtuous at first. But when one realises the people around you don't dance to your tune, the frustration can lead to terrible consequences. It's a slippery slope that can lead to an unhappy conclusion. 

Still I genuinely feel sorry that an intelligent, talented like him has to resort to all this demeaning tactics in order to get to where he has to make change happen. The show has largely been quite convincing in prosecuting the case as to why JTJ "has to" take the course of action he does in these last couple of episodes if he wants to continue fighting the good fight. (Of course nobody "has to" do anything but TJ is idealistically ambitious)

The show is logical in a tragic way. Almost Shakespearean like. There are no miracles or last minute saves... I was stunned and amazed that things that I said in my previous posts were actually uttered by characters in these last couple of episodes. That said I don't want JTJ to join the pantheon of the bard's tragic protagonists.

Logical and ruthless... poor Chief Go... did they really have to kill him off? I was hoping for the immensely shady OWS to disappear (go to prison already) but looks like he's here to stay for the next season :angry:. Sigh... I suppose he's too valuable to Minister Song and too willing to do anything to be in the minister's good graces.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I was stunned and amazed that things that I said in my previous posts were actually uttered by characters in these last couple of episodes

@40somethingahjumma I laughed when I saw that as I was watching the show and I thought the writer may have trolled the thread and copied you.  :lol:

• LOL 5

Dear all, a big thank u to all for this S1 Chief Of Staff journey. I really enjoyed reading all ur insights. 

For S1, am so sad to lose 2 precious characters, LSM n Mr Go(i assumed he passed on).

For JTJ to take over LSM district is for him to continue LSM legacy. Althou it is kinda of shady with his methods n direction to become in charge of LSM district. Am a bit disappointed but also think it JTJ way to level the playing field. Althou now Song is Justice Minister, still 1 step ahead of him. Still once in the samil club (old men club), perhaps he could uncover some critical info n bring them all down.

KSY, i feel for u. Cheered her for turning the tables on the live interview. She has brains n looks, turning crisis into opportunities. But the ending is too much for her, JTJ betrayal n possible loss of Mr Go. She has soldier on bravely with Mr Go by her side thru every possible trials thrown at her, i do hope in S2 someone capable will aid her along (again if Mr Go passed on).

Ms Yun is devoted to JTJ. Can just see her becoming his Chief when he becomes Assemblyman. Do i see her devotion as blind? No she is more of the behind the scene silent type. She n JTJ must hav some undisclosed history (like how JTJ helped Han DK) for her to trust fully in JTJ plans. I do feel tat she is not 100% on board with the seobu market incident but accepted JTJ explanation. She obviously knew a bit of JTJ plan to try warn HDK off. (How not to ship her n JTJ after all they went thru?)

HDK has really taken a beating thru the seobu market incident. He is finally shedding those rose tinted glasses n drawn a line between himself n JTJ. Am sad cos still pinning aft my dream team. Ok pure speculation on my part here. If Mr Go is gone, i do see HDK joining KSY team. They worked together n he is likely to see KSY goals aligned with his.

Minister Song is one confusing character. I can understd him making use n discarding ppl around him. Wat really puzzles me is even aft being played/betrayed n discarding JTJ, he is still willing to accept JTJ back. As Assemblyman Jo said the viper is back with more venom, does Song actually think he can control JTJ by making him an Assemblyman? Mayb Song never intended to discard but merely to teach JTJ a lesson. There seems to be something Song see in JTJ.

Mr Go has been a supportive pillar to KSY n a crucial player in so many of their plans. S1 is so cruel to leave us wondering "whodidit" n the whereabouts of HK FIU report. Hope JTJ has nothing to do with Mr Go apparent suicide. My take is JTJ managed to convince Go to give him the reports n parted ways. Then tat Lee person (construction owner) sent his men to get the reports n stage the suicide.

Quite like the scene when LSM pen leaked all over JTJ shirt. LSM pen is a reminder to JTJ to do gd n just. With JTJ underbelt handling of Seobu market, the leakage is as if the gd n just has gone out of JTJ.

• Like 7

I watched the episode with a heavy heart. It was so hard to see Tae Joon taking to the dark side and losing his friends along the way. As much as I hated that he tricked the people from the market I believed that he indeed prevented a much bloody confrontation.

It was hard to watch Tae Joon "selling his soul to the devil" for that seat. I really don`t know if it is worth the prise he has to pay to get there. Things will never get easy. He still has to fight all those powerful people and their interests. If you compromise so much you never be free to act the way you want.

I am glad Hye Won has remained at Tae Joon`s side. He needs a person who can trust.

The coruption is very big. The powerful people who are hand in hand with the politicians are capable of anything, included murder. I believe Lee Chang-Jin received the information about Ko Seok-Man`s discovering in Kong Kong and he or his boss gave the order to stop him. He was murdered. 

Tae Joon needs to be the poison viper to survive in politics along with all those sharks. Season 2 will give us another the race to the limit of the impossible. We need to strengthen your heart.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ilmare said:

Minister Song is one confusing character. I can understd him making use n discarding ppl around him. Wat really puzzles me is even aft being played/betrayed n discarding JTJ, he is still willing to accept JTJ back. As Assemblyman Jo said the viper is back with more venom, does Song actually think he can control JTJ by making him an Assemblyman? Mayb Song never intended to discard but merely to teach JTJ a lesson. There seems to be something Song see in JTJ.

Mr Go has been a supportive pillar to KSY n a crucial player in so many of their plans. S1 is so cruel to leave us wondering "whodidit" n the whereabouts of HK FIU report. Hope JTJ has nothing to do with Mr Go apparent suicide. My take is JTJ managed to convince Go to give him the reports n parted ways. Then tat Lee person (construction owner) sent his men to get the reports n stage the suicide.

I was confused by Song's behavior too. He must know TJ is fully capable of betraying him again, so it's hard to understand why Song took TJ back so readily.

I hope you're right about Mr Go's case. I still don't want TJ to go full evil to the point of killing his long-time friend just to save his career.

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Has LJJ ever considered going into politics? He sure delivered his speech with plenty of punch. ;)

Ikr? I was like: Damn, this man can deliver a good speech :love:

• Like 5

Song character may seem contradictory unless we imagine that he started out in the same vein as TJ and Assemblyman Lee. 

Most politicians run on a platform of making a better world for the people.  At least that belief is what incites them to run, in the first place.  Reality sets in when they become part of the 'system/machinery'.  They find that they cannot stand alone, with their beliefs, and still get things accomplish for their constituents. So, the compromising starts.  While making the first compromise is the hardest, it gets much easier afterwards.

So, Song may understand TJ and Assemblyman Lee's perspective.  And, perhaps, there is a tiny part of him that identifies with them.

LJJ's acting skills = :thumbsup:.

Chief Secretary Go played the political game, but he played fair.  He still maintained his integrity. And, the loss of such an individual is a big loss to everyone.  So much so that it made me emotional.   :tears:

I agree that Netflix style of splitting dramas into seasons doesn't work with Korean dramas.  Unlike American dramas, where momentum is structured within one season, momentum in Korean dramas are structured within one entire drama.  They split the drama at an artificial cliff-hanger that stalls the momentum.  It's like getting on a roller coaster, on New Year's Day.  Just as it gets to the top, and before the vertical drop, one is told to return, on July 4th, to finish the ride.  :blink: My reaction would be, "Say what?"

• Like 7

7 hours ago, ilmare said:

Minister Song is one confusing character. I can understand him making use n discarding ppl around him. Wat really puzzles me is even aft being played/betrayed n discarding JTJ, he is still willing to accept JTJ back

Song understands ambition, greed, persistence and fortitude to attain that ambition at all costs. He sees himself in TJ and understands the allure of power. He has done many things that TJ can do and knows TJ can even do better or worse. He sees in TJ a person worth fighting against or fighting for. An expert athlete for example a tennis champion would want to test himself against another expert tennis player. He would not want to play with a beginner. In TJ, Song has found a worthy opponent at the same time an ally. That is the way of politics and he knows that TJ has learned to be a politician's politician. Both are just itching to battle for or against in the political playing field. These two will be itching to get at it. 

• Like 4

Just finished the last 2 episodes... I don't like the ending... :(

I don't get it...isn't TJ in trouble with the law?  He was on the news for being a wanted man.  Did they mention how they made the charges against him go away?  Suddenly he can come back to office and prepared to be a congressman?

And I so hate the smarmy OSW.  He is as long life as he said TJ is. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, emmie said:

Just finished the last 2 episodes... I don't like the ending... :(

I don't get it...isn't TJ in trouble with the law?  He was on the news for being a wanted man.  Did they mention how they made the charges against him go away?  Suddenly he can come back to office and prepared to be a congressman?

And I so hate the smarmy OSW.  He is as long life as he said TJ is. 

Song is the Minister of Justice so he can easily make TJ's charges go away.

• Like 2

Gosh.... i finally watched the season finale... what assemblyman Jo said is right 

"The viper has come back with more poison"

I scared of what he'll capable doing next.

He even killed his best friend (i really hope he's not)

Intern Han and ms. Kang definitely disappointed on him. Even raged at him for what he's doing. I'm sure ms. Kang hint that Tae Jun must have something with her aide death. Esp this happen after the FIU things.

And Oh Won Shik definitely raged at Tae Jun fornthe nomination... things that he thought will be him after all those dirty role he plays for Song.

Is Tae Jun will also become a president in the end like what happen to Frank at house of cards... I don't think so. Tae Jun wants to rebuild what assemblyman Lee left but he took the wrong way... as he joined hands with the devils now. 

See you in season 2 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, emmie said:

@emmie here is how I see it. Well Song made up those charges against TJ because at that time, Song wanted to rid of TJ thinking TJ was easy. TJ dug information regarding the Samil Group including CEO Lee and Chairman Sung that could destroy Song and his career. Remember that Chairman Sung arrived from abroad to tell Song to let go of his bid for the Justice Ministry and even the President's Aide told Song that the President plans to rescind his nomination of Song to be the Minister of Justice. The Samil Club is made up of men of power, the makers and shakers of policies and laws that affects SK. The fact that TJ has gotten info to destroy Song and his supporters at the Samil, made Song call off his dogs chasing after TJ. Then badass TJ dared to fearlessly march inside the Samil Club and the confrontation/negotiation between him and Song occurred. That is when Song took notice that the man got guts and heart of steel. In exchange for destruction of the stick that held the info that could destroy Song, TJ asked to be nominated to the Assembly seat which Song could not refuse. How can he? 

• Like 5

The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to think that there wasn't a lot else TJ could have done... if he wanted to stay in game. Sure, he could have thrown in the towel and walked away but then we wouldn't have a S2 to look forward to ;) but more importantly it would also be an admission of defeat, a sign he was giving up. I don't think he disposed of Chief Go... that's more the MO of someone like OWS but hey, it's not impossible either.

The Seobu market redevelopment issue was instructive in another aspect. It certainly demonstrated in parallel with what happened with LSM... that if one is unwilling to compromise in certain areas, and instead double down, you might end up losing even what little leverage that you have. I'm not sure if that's something the writer meant to say but somehow that came through. To me at least. In life you have to pick your battles. You may win a minor battle but end up losing the war.

Why does Minister Song support TJ? Because he knows better than anyone, how well TJ plays the game. And with a lot of guts. On top of that, TJ knows things about him. Politics is somewhat different to how we conduct relationships in other areas of life. You don't necessarily support someone because you like them or trust them. You support that individual because they potentially have the capacity to take you where you want to go. Even if the person in question is hated by every single person in the party or the inner circle, the majority of people will throw their weight behind them because they have something the rest don't which will (in this case) win votes. In politics people are not human beings but cards and stepping stones that one uses strategically to arrive at a favourable endgame.

The incident with the teenage mother who got an abortion showed how important it is to be political savvy even when being honest. There's not a lot of reward for being honest in politics. This is what I've been trying to say in the Designated Survivor thread. Being honest only has currency if you can use it to score political points over your opponents. Notice how KSY and her team spent so much time researching for any kind of mileage/upper hand in the debate to reveal her opponent's hypocrisy. 

The show could go one of many ways. There's a part of me that wants HDK to be right... that one doesn't need to get one's hands dirty to do politics well in this context. But if the show follows the consistent trajectory that it has so far taken, I don't see how that can be. The status quo is so incredibly powerful and to dismantle all that would take more than good intentions. So I tend to think if TJ doesn't lose himself on his way to gaining LSM's seat in the by-election, that will certainly be on his agenda.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to think that there wasn't a lot else TJ could have done... if he wanted to stay in game. Sure, he could have thrown in the towel and walked away but then we wouldn't have a S2 to look forward to ;) but more importantly it would also be an admission of defeat, a sign he was giving up. I don't think he disposed of Chief Go... that's more the MO of someone like OWS but hey, it's not impossible either.

The Seobu market redevelopment issue was instructive in another aspect. It certainly demonstrated in parallel with what happened with LSM... that if one is unwilling to compromise in certain areas, and instead double down, you might end up losing even what little leverage that you have. I'm not sure if that's something the writer meant to say but somehow that came through. To me at least. In life you have to pick your battles. You may win a minor battle but end up losing the war.

Why does Minister Song support TJ? Because he knows better than anyone, how well TJ plays the game. And with a lot of guts. On top of that, TJ knows things about him. Politics is somewhat different to how we conduct relationships in other areas of life. You don't necessarily support someone because you like them or trust them. You support that individual because they potentially have the capacity to take you where you want to go. Even if the person in question is hated by every single person in the party or the inner circle, the majority of people will throw their weight behind them because they have something the rest don't which will (in this case) win votes. In politics people are not human beings but cards and stepping stones that one uses strategically to arrive at a favourable endgame.

The incident with the teenage mother who got an abortion showed how important it is to be political savvy even when being honest. There's not a lot of reward for being honest in politics. This is what I've been trying to say in the Designated Survivor thread. Being honest only has currency if you can use it to score political points over your opponents. Notice how KSY and her team spent so much time researching for any kind of mileage/upper hand in the debate to reveal her opponent's hypocrisy. 

The show could go one of many ways. There's a part of me that wants HDK to be right... that one doesn't need to get one's hands dirty to do politics well in this context. But if the show follows the consistent trajectory that it has so far taken, I don't see how that can be. The status quo is so incredibly powerful and to dismantle all that would take more than good intentions. So I tend to think if TJ doesn't lose himself on his way to gaining LSM's seat in the by-election, that will certainly be on his agenda.

@40somethingahjumma eonnie, I always love how you put attention to details to all drama you've watched. I even amazed how you explain everything so all become make sense to me... see you in another drama..:heart:

• Like 2
  • Love 3