[Drama 2019] Aide/Chief of Staff Season 1& 2, 보좌관

larus

Finally binge watch four episodes. I like it! Politicians should watch this show. Well as they say, in politics there's wheeling and dealing,  no permanent friends or enemies just permanent  interest.  Have to step up to achieve your goal.. by all means. 

Kang and Tae Jun...I like their dynamics ans Rendevous. They're ambitous, shrewed cunning, smart in  their politcal ways and maneouverings. It's like watching  'Pope and  Grant' ( of Scandal) on lower tier level.

My favorite.. I realis is Han Do Kyung. His ideals and passion.... all things law.. wanting to repay or at least show gratefulness to Tae Jun  as he was the only who visited his father.. who was also a woker and victim from the harshness of politics and business.  I have a feeling in the latter episodes of the drama we will see Han Do Kyung... arc story about his father, background and family will be thrust in the political limelight and wil be used for one's benefit.. Ugly benefit. Because it's the jerk (the one who wants TJ job) who recommended him to Song.   My question is.. doesn't Tae Jun remember meeting him? ( Remember the flashback scene)

I also like  Hyun's character- the one who was a reporter before. I don't know who the actress is but she's got mild meek gentle beauriful face. I guess she's also fighting for social rights for victims... having been a reporter before, she saw the plight of injustice.

So how many episodes for this drama?

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, emmie said:

I'm enjoying this show... Is there anyone recapping this?  I got lost at some parts due to the fast pace and the subbing.  

I believe DB has recapped the first episode. 

3 hours ago, jongski said:

According to Netflix it is 10 episodes. But I have read that there might be a second series. TBC, I think. I'm not 100% certain.

HDK is turning out to be a bit of a dark horse I suspect. I'm glad there aren't enough episodes in this series to turn him into fillery comic relief. It's usually the role played by the newbies in an already established team. ;) Here he earns his pay and has a valuable skill set.

26 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I believe DB has recapped the first episode. 

yup, really happy to have read that.  But I don't think they are keeping it on their recap list unfortunately.

Started to watch this drama because of Lee Jung-jae, but I got hooked right from the first ep. Good acting and even better writing!

I've never been into Shin Min-a, but I must say she's pretty good here, and I actually like her pairing with LJJ. I'm rooting so bad for the couple I really hope TJ won't betray Ms. Kang. The preview for ep 5 makes me nervous tho :unsure:

2 hours ago, luvabe said:

Started to watch this drama because of Lee Jung-jae, but I got hooked right from the first ep. Good acting and even better writing!

I've never been into Shin Min-a, but I must say she's pretty good here, and I actually like her pairing with LJJ. I'm rooting so bad for the couple I really hope TJ won't betray Ms. Kang. The preview for ep 5 makes me nervous tho :unsure:

Same! I got nervous when he mentioned the card thing at the end. So far they have exceeded my expectations by working so well while being on opposing sides. I hope he doesn’t throw her under the bus when he kinda already did with the hotel room Kim in gyu interview.

1 hour ago, philosophie said:

Same! I got nervous when he mentioned the card thing at the end. So far they have exceeded my expectations by working so well while being on opposing sides. I hope he doesn’t throw her under the bus when he kinda already did with the hotel room Kim in gyu interview.

Well I kinda understand why he did that in the Kim In-gyu situation - he basically had no other choice. But now hopefully he can find a way out for both himself and Ms. Kang. There are only 6 eps left, so I hope we won't get like 5 eps of our couple playing tricks on and hating each other :mellow:

8 hours ago, philosophie said:

I think we will hear more about the the whistle blowers and their plight hopefully nothing much more will happen to Kim In Gyu. It seems that what happened long ago to the laborers, their unions and the whistle blowers is a common thread touching all the main characters. 

So what do you guys think is the situation with the interns dad? Was he a whistleblower too then got health problems? Then JTJ visited his dad in the hospital. Unless maybe it has to do with Song, since we saw how he does shady stuff like tweaking with the sign of Lee’s office. The intern is a sweet cinnamon roll and I hope that’s not true. When JTJ found out the intern was recommended by Oh or something, I feel like he was giving a slight glare to the intern, like he might be his replacement or a sign that song wats to keep JTJ on a leash from rising to the top. 

2 hours ago, philosophie said:

So what do you guys think is the situation with the interns dad? Was he a whistleblower too then got health problems? Then JTJ visited his dad in the hospital. Unless maybe it has to do with Song, since we saw how he does shady stuff like tweaking with the sign of Lee’s office. The intern is a sweet cinnamon roll and I hope that’s not true. When JTJ found out the intern was recommended by Oh or something, I feel like he was giving a slight glare to the intern, like he might be his replacement or a sign that song wats to keep JTJ on a leash from rising to the top. 

Dad could have been one of the laborers during the strike of Hanjung Group or Bugang Co when TJ was still a police officer. Some people were injured when the special police unit  were sent to break up the striking laborers. Or the dad could have been an aide or worked at the Assembly. The intern is hiding the fact that he is intern with the Chief Aide of Song from his mother who thinks that he is studying to pass the Civil Service exam or his dad's condition had something to do with Song and he is there set things right or he is there to support TJ. 

On 6/23/2019 at 3:43 PM, larus said:

I wish to know more about Sun Young. I think she is the daughter of Assemblyman Song and nobody knows the information yet.  I read again the first page of this thread to see if it is true but it wasn`t there. I don`t know where I read about this. Let see if I understood corectly.

I don't think she is his daughter ... from how he treat her there's no way that they have blood relation. 

this drama really does have connection with US series House of Cards.. the intrigue... the politic movement.. the strategy... the deals between them..how they make it... how they achieve it..how they trample their opponents...

Tae Joon is Frank Underwood but less evil. Sung Young is Frank's wife and less evil too.... both are achieving the top rank in politic... 

I must admit from all politic theme drama ever in korean drama history... this is the best i ever watch...

Sung Young and Tae Joon will face their battle next episode. I'm sure it will be not easy for assembly Song to trample Sung Young...after he stole her project in TV interview just to save his face, Sung Young definitely has plan for him to be in her side.

42 minutes ago, Yippeun_eonnie said:

I don't think she is his daughter ... from how he treat her there's no way that they have blood relation. 

this drama really does have connection with US series House of Cards.. the intrigue... the politic movement.. the strategy... the deals between them..how they make it... how they achieve it..how they trample their opponents...

Tae Joon is Frank Underwood but less evil. Sung Young is Frank's wife and less evil too.... both are achieving the top rank in politic... 

I must admit from all politic theme drama ever in korean drama history... this is the best i ever watch...

Sung Young and Tae Joon will face their battle next episode. I'm sure it will be not easy for assembly Song to trample Sung Young...after he stole her project in TV interview just to save his face, Sung Young definitely has plan for him to be in her side.

Interesting that you compared TJ to Frank Underwood, 'cause I thought TJ was more like Frank's chief of staff, Doug, considering that both TJ and Doug go around fixing things for their respective bosses. But I guess Doug doesn't want to go to the top, so TJ is kinda like Frank in that respect. But TJ is also different from both Frank and Doug in that he (TJ) still has some conscience and doesn't resort to killing people to get what he wants. This is also why I like this drama, even though I've never been interested in political dramas. (Tried watching Money Flower but quit after just a few eps because of all the murder schemes.)

5 minutes ago, luvabe said:

Interesting that you compared TJ to Frank Underwood, 'cause I thought TJ was more like Frank's chief of staff, Doug, considering that both TJ and Doug go around fixing things for their respective bosses. But I guess Doug doesn't want to go to the top, so TJ is kinda like Frank in that respect. But TJ is also different from both Frank and Doug in that he (TJ) still has some conscience and doesn't resort to killing people to get what he wants. This is also why I like this drama, even though I've never been interested in political dramas. (Tried watching Money Flower but quit after just a few eps because of all the murder schemes.)

Yes.. that's why i said Tae Joon is Frank but less evil.. Tae Joon will never kill someone to achieve his goal because the reason he switched to politic was he so sick to see how the powerful destroy the poor and everyone turn blind eye to the victim. I remember seeing scene where Tae Joon stil in his police uniform try to block the SWAT team capturing the demo and hurt the people include in that protest... was it related to Bugang? I don't know...

to trample his opponent Tae Joon like to find their weakness that will make them ashamed so the opponent will have no choice except to take his offer. And I love Tae Joon informants especially the guy from the prosecutor office. 

Jang Tae-ju is the ultimate political juggling act. And while it's a lot of fun watching him put out fires and outmaneuver everyone, there were a number of heart stopping moments. I don't how much of this reflects the actual  workings of party politics but wow... this is one talented operator. My head's still spinning from all the maneuvering in Episode 5. Talk about "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" on steroids. These people shift alliances more often than the rest of us go through socks. It would be interesting to chart KSY's movements on a graph and see what she's had to do to see through her particular platform. While I never really believed that TJ would actually throw her under the bus, she did end up being something of a sacrificial lamb. I am impressed though that she put her single parent bill before her own ego and career. 

It is becoming increasingly clear to me that this show is really about the battle for the heart and soul of JTJ. I don't think he is especially loyal to A. Song per se but he knows which side his bread is buttered at this stage.  Political masters are merely a stepping stone to a bigger endgame and those who labour under them will have to swallow their pride and put up with being demeaning tasks. Is it worth it? I suppose it depends on the prize. But then if the emotional and ethical cost becomes too high... what then? Clearly things have been made more complicated by the arrival and presence of Oh Won Shik who as we see at the end of the episode has become privy to his Achilles' heel. No doubt TJ did expose himself to protect KSY and he will pay the price in the short-term. But since she's also his "partner-in-crime", it is a price he has to pay. After all she has supported him and put herself out for his benefit as well.

Then of course there's the Seobuk market redevelopment kerfuffle. He cares and I'm sure that sort of issue is why he felt compelled to go into politics. It is however, a political nightmare because... look at the long list of vested interests. It doesn't take much to trigger a disruption.

I am also struck by how much bills work like a kind of political currency. It's a pity they don't get passed on their relative merits... whether it's providing extra financial support to single parent families or redevelopment projects... but they function as political leverage or bargaining tools. Even conviction politicians who have worthy pet projects must play that game in the political marketplace. 

There's no doubt that OWS needs to go. Not only is he exceedingly corrupt but he will continue to be a thorn in TJ's side. Now that he knows that TJ is in a relationship with KSY, he has something on him.

Seems like the Seobuk market redevelopment project is big arc of this series. 

June 29, 2019

Political dramas show what’s behind the chaos: Audiences find JTBC’s ‘Chief of Staff’ a refreshing antidote to standard fare

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

28191121.jpg

JTBC’s drama “Chief of Staff” stars Lee Jung-jae, far left, as an ambitious assistant to a National Assembly member who also hopes to enter politics. Shin Min-a, right, known for her roles in romantic comedies, stars as a lawyer-turned-lawmaker. [JTBC]

The legislative elections are still nearly a year away, but TV networks are warming viewers up for the big event by dishing out political dramas. 

On June 14, JTBC kicked off its new series “Chief of Staff,” which stars Lee Jung-jae as a National Assembly member’s ambitious assistant who dreams of becoming a powerful politician. Starting Monday, tvN will begin airing “Designated Survivor: 60 Days,” a show based on a hit U.S. drama of the same name about an environment minister (Ji Jin-hee) who suddenly faces the task of leading the country after a terrorist attack kills the president. By the end of the year, tvN is also set to air “The Great Show,” and spin the tale of a former lawmaker (Song Seung-heon) who tries to enter the National Assembly again. 

These shows promise something new compared to political dramas from the past, which have traditionally been limited to featuring characters sitting in the nation’s highest office. “Fifth Republic” (2005), for example, was about former President Chun Doo Hwan, while “Big Thing” (2010) and “The President” (2010) were both coming-of-age stories about fictional presidents. A notable exception is “Assembly” (2015), which aimed to capture the inner workings of the National Assembly by following the journey of a shipyard welder-turned-lawmaker. The drama’s screenwriter, Jung Hyun-min, had previously served as an aide to a lawmaker. Yet “Assembly” failed to find an audience, with ratings stalling between 4 percent to 5 percent despite being aired on KBS, one of Korea’s three major broadcasters. 

Airing its sixth episode today, “Chief of Staff” has attracted steady media and viewer attention so far thanks to its fast-paced plot and star-studded cast. The first season will end after the 10th episode, but a second season is due to start again by the end of the year. 

The protagonist in “Chief of Staff” is Jang Tae-joon (Lee), a brilliant former detective who became a lawmaker’s aide in hopes of getting a spot in the National Assembly himself. He’s a charismatic character whose talents don’t go unnoticed and threaten to outshine his boss, lawmaker Song Hee-seob (Kim Kap-soo). 

“I fell in love with the screenplay and thought that I should do the drama before it’s too late,” Lee said. “Chief of Staff” is the veteran actor’s first drama appearance since the MBC series “Triple” (2009). 

Shin Min-a, Lee’s love interest in the show, plays a talented lawyer-turned-lawmaker in the series. Shin is known for her roles in romantic comedies like “My Girlfriend is a Gumiho” (2010). 

The biggest appeal of “Chief of Staff” is perhaps the realistic portrayal of the lives of lawmakers’ aides, whose numbers are estimated to be around 2,700. In Korea, each of the 300 National Assembly members are allowed to have nine assistants working for their personal office under government payroll. The types of assistants that a lawmaker is allowed to have are very specific - two level-four civil servants, two level-five civil servants, one from level six, seven and nine each and two interns. In Korean government parlance, level nine is the lowest rank for civil servants. “Chief of Staff” also captures the tense and often competitive relationship between the aides themselves.

Director Kwak Jung-hwan, whose previous works include “Ms. Hammurabi“ (2018) and “The Slave Hunters” (2010), described “Chief of Staff” as a “drama that highlights the tensions from the competition between those who hide the truth to remain in power and those who can only survive by revealing it.” 

Critics believe that the bitter partisan stalemate that has plagued the National Assembly for the past months helped peak viewer interest in the show.

“People are able to really immerse themselves in ‘Chief of Staff’ given the crippled operations of the National Assembly,” said drama critic Gong Hee-jeong. “It’s refreshing to look at the National Assembly from the viewpoint of the aides rather than the lawmakers.” 

“Given how viewers are tired of dramas featuring police and prosecutors, I think the trend of exploring new careers will continue,” he added. Real aides in the National Assembly are also taking notice of “Chief of Staff,” and are excited about sharing the often-misunderstood reality of their work.

“My partner’s family opposed our marriage because they thought I just carried bags around and would lose my job after the lawmaker leaves the Assembly,” said one lawmaker’s aide, a level-four civil servant. “I hope that the drama will help improve the perception that people have of us.” 

“I’ve rarely seen lawmakers with female aides who are level-five civil servants or higher. The drama also doesn’t show any high-level female aides - I think the producers did their research well,” said a level-six civil servant lawmaker’s secretary. “I’m curious to know whether Lee Elijah [a level-six civil servant in Song’s office] will be able to break the glass ceiling and go beyond.” 

If there is one thing unrealistic about the drama, the aides noted, it’s that becoming a lawmaker’s assistant is hardly a guaranteed path to entering politics, as Lee’s character desires in “Chief of Staff.” 

“Although some aides do go on to run for municipal elections, it’s nearly impossible for them to get into politics like Jung,” said the secretary. “Aides are more likely to go join a National Assembly standing committee in the field of their specialization.” 

BY MIN KYUNG-WON [kim.eunjin1@joongang.co.kr]

I was nervous at the end of episode 4 however, I had faith that both JTJ and KSY would weather this off as they had dealt with crisis before. KSY did say she trusted in JTJ until that moment but then he said to keep trusting in him that he did not want her to get hurt. I love that she stood her ground and told him that she can handle whatever is thrown at her. She met with the Minister of Gender Equality and Family and aligned herself with the assembly women who protested Song's sexist attitudes and comments to report Song to National Ethics Committee. Then both TJ and SY worked together to convince Assembly Man Lee Sang Woo (there are so many Lee characters in the drama) who was vying for the position of Assembly Chairperson against Jo and thought that Song would support him. The people at the Song dinner meeting which included the President's aide did not even notice the phone placed casually at the table by TJ which was connected to SY who let Lee listen in to the conversation at the dinner table and realized that Song was double crossing. Lee then endorsed the Bill sponsored by KSY and bill passed. I have a feeling that Chairperson Lee will not be supporting Song at his hearing and so will the Assembly Women headed by the Minister of Gender Equality despite the President nominating Song. It will also be a battle for Jo for the position of Speaker of the House against Lee. And Song and Jo will be pointing their fingers at JTJ especially when OWS will report TJ and SY's relationship to Song. The preview shows JTJ saying that they have to rid of OWS. I wonder how he will do that. Kang has gotten herself some powerful enemies in Jo and Song. 

It looks like Lee Sung Min will be waking up soon to reality and start to make deals to get something done for his district? TJ said, he also saw his mother work at the markets but knowing how the people feel and sympathizing with them does not help change their situations. LSM walked around the neighborhoods of his district and witnessed the hardship. Maybe he will see the reality of making deals to help his district or is his character just meant to be the conscience of TJ? Lee is the main man for the redevelopment project. 

HW blames herself for the whistle blower getting hurt and hospitalized. She should not. She probably was a reporter who thought that her piece would help the whistleblower get some justice or make a change on the employers practices and regulations to favor the workers. She was not the one who harmed or put the whistleblower in the hospital it was the unconscionable employers who did. Now we know her motivation for working at the Assembly. It seems that slowly Do Kyung and JW are getting more chummy and both are avid supporters of Chief Aide Jang. 

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

No doubt TJ did expose himself to protect KSY and he will pay the price in the short-term. But since she's also his "partner-in-crime", it is a price he has to pay. After all she has supported him and put herself out for his benefit as well.

I just loved that their partnership is still strong. I was nervious a little. I know that they love each other but them being in different teams made me a little worried. Tae Joon is so smart. He came up with a good plan again and it worked. But my heart hurt when I saw Oh Won-Sik finding about Tae Joon and Sun Young. I just knew it will happen. I can`t wait to see what is happening next.

There are still good people in politics but seing how hard they have to work in all these political intrigues is depresing. 

On 6/25/2019 at 12:00 AM, jongski said:

Ten episodes in Season 1 and 10 episodes in season 2 who will air in November.

I think it is the new drama format. Kdramas are divided into seasons. Two parts this time. 

1st post after watching Chief. Supporting my oppa Lee Jung Jae for his comeback drama. So so glad he picked tis project.

Hav to admit lots of political stabbings n terms went over my head but am getting the hang of it. Love how all the characters r written. Watching Chief of Staff Jang juggling so many balls while still having to keep a close watch on both foes n enemies proved his keen senses on the pulse of the political players. Assemblywoman Kang is strong woman willing to go all out to fight for her causes. I love her strong character. The romance between her n Jang is also interesting n bit like walking on a tight rope, esp Jang boss Assemblyman Song is willing to step (getting Jang to prep the path) anyone n everyone.

As for Song office staff, Ms Yoon is the model worker. TBH i was kinda of rooting for her n Jang, esp knowing she seems to be carrying a torch for him. Think Lee Elijah has outdone herself with her projects n prove tat she is not just a pretty face. 

As for the rest of cast, am so happy to see so many veteran actors n enjoying their portrayal of their characters.

On a side note, a bit sad only 10 eps as was hoping the usual 16eps. Regardless a well paced n well written drama is better than an unnecessary drawn out filled with senseless sub plots one.

4 minutes ago, larus said:

Ten episodes in Season 1 and 10 episodes in season 2 who will air in November.

I think it is the new drama format. Kdramas are divided into seasons. Two parts this time. 

Sorry to cut ur post. So confirm will have season 2?

Watching ep 5 now, bit anxious as it is mid point of drama.:sweatingbullets: dun wan it to end

Archived