[Drama 2019] Aide/Chief of Staff Season 1& 2, 보좌관

larus

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chief of Staff: Episode 1

by lovepark

chiefstaff01-00003.jpg

Stylish and smart, the first episode of Chief of Staff introduces its audience to a world of politics filled with morally grey characters all fighting for power. Pulling the curtain back a little, the show highlights those in the shadows, and the schemes plotted in secret. Though the public sees the carefully constructed images of politicians and their agendas, the journey to these final products is often riddled with intrigue and deceptions. In the end, politics is a snake pit people willingly jump into all for the grand prize at the end of the battle: a 6 gram badge representing power and prestige.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/06/chief-of-staff-episode-1/

June 20, 2019

HanCinema's News

Kim Kap-soo Briefly Hospitalized During the Shooting of "Chief of Staff"

By William Schwartz HanCinema.net

photo1073773.jpg

Actor Kim Kap-soo was hospitalized on June 18th for a collapsed lung. The medical incident happened during the shooting of "Chief of Staff". The surgery went by easily without complications, and Kim Kap-soo was able to quickly return to work.

Kim Kap-soo's agency emphasized that the decision was not made under pressured circumstances. Kim Kap-soo was not showing serious symptoms of being sick and the possibility of delaying the surgery until shooting was finished had also been considered. Ultimately the relevant parties decided that doing the surgery sooner rather than later was the best possible option.

The most likely reason for this is that Kim Kap-soo's symptoms, while not severe, were still inconvenient to the intensive nature of his acting work. He reportedly had a stuffy feeling in his chest and shortness of breath. Kim Kap-soo is sixty two years old and plays an elder statesman central to the political action in "Chief of Staff".

Written by William Schwartz

I hope actor KKS is OK and takes some time to get well. 

This drama is like a thriller politically. It makes me nervous for team JTJ. They can't really rest easy always thinking someone will stab them in the back. LSM seems exhausted because it is exhausting tryig to do good in the midst of no good doers. Everytime I think I can breathe easy and JTJ team got the solution to the problem, someone else have information to thwart them. Hye Won and the new intern just like JTJ have bad experiences in the past that spurred them to work at the Assembly, to help make a change? LSM and JTJ had experiences with big companies illegal and unfair working conditions. HW seems to have been a reporter and for some reason, reading an old article that she seemed to have written, made her throw up. What is her story? The newbie intern Han Do Kyung also had his story regarding his father. But how did OS know him. He was the one who recommended him to work there. I think LSM is right, Song will never keep his word to nominate JTJ. He is too good of an aide and Song will see him as a threat as JTJ seems not to be afraid of anyone. 

After last night's episode i get worried about the usb.... I knew it will backfire to him when he decide to keep it. But he is smart right???? He can get out from this.... 

Ms. Kang not in a very good stand also as tonight preview but I hope the witness can pull the string for both of them. 

That Oh weasel he is playing both sides in dirty way i hope someone will kick his richard simmons soon.

I hope Tae Joon can overcome this Bugang things tonight. Fighting!!!!!

8 hours ago, zenya22 said:

I hope actor KKS is OK and takes some time to get well. 

This drama is like a thriller politically. It makes me nervous for team JTJ. They can't really rest easy always thinking someone will stab them in the back. LSM seems exhausted because it is exhausting tryig to do good in the midst of no good doers. Everytime I think I can breathe easy and JTJ team got the solution to the problem, someone else have information to thwart them. Hye Won and the new intern just like JTJ have bad experiences in the past that spurred them to work at the Assembly, to help make a change? LSM and JTJ had experiences with big companies illegal and unfair working conditions. HW seems to have been a reporter and for some reason, reading an old article that she seemed to have written, made her throw up. What is her story? The newbie intern Han Do Kyung also had his story regarding his father. But how did OS know him. He was the one who recommended him to work there. I think LSM is right, Song will never keep his word to nominate JTJ. He is too good of an aide and Song will see him as a threat as JTJ seems not to be afraid of anyone. 

It will awesome if Tae Joon joining assembly Lee again take secretary Yun and intern Han with him. Fight mr Song. 

Then put assembly Lee as minister of justice then Tae Joon will becime the floor leader assemblyman replacing mr. Song.... Isn't that will be perfect..... 

5 hours ago, Yippeun_eonnie said:

It will awesome if Tae Joon joining assembly Lee again take secretary Yun and intern Han with him. Fight mr Song. 

Then put assembly Lee as minister of justice then Tae Joon will becime the floor leader assemblyman replacing mr. Song.... Isn't that will be perfect..... 

That will be awesome except Assembly Man Lee is a straight arrow and does not seem to favor JTJ's shrewd, wily and ingenious but sometimes illegal maneuvering to destroy another inorder to produce results that favor him. Lee sometimes can be uncompromising, idealistic and wants to do his work with honesty and integrity for the people he represents. I really hope though that JTJ will see the advantage of working with Lee and Lee appreciate the talent of TJ. Jo and Song have connections all the way to the justice department. Also, when Song gets into big trouble it will be TJ who pays the price. TJ is being targeted by the justice department. Lee and TJ working together would be ideal, one will check the other and the other push/inspire the other. We shall see. 

Yes, OS is at the office and trying to open TJ's  drawers and TJ is on his way to the office. I like what Kang is working on but Jo now wants to destroy her also. Can't wait to see what happens next. 

Question though, is the relationship of Kang and TJ a secret? But don't they live together? Wouldn't the aide of Kang know? 

This drama has no chill. Just as Team Tae Joon scores a minor victory , he gets into hot soup with Song. @zenya22 I too doubt that Song will actually keep his promise to nominate TJ when he becomes the minister of Justice , but now the chances seem close to nil. But TJ is too good at what he does for Song to fire him now. Song will still need him to help him oust the present Minister and secure the position himself. The weasel Oh is good at underhanded ways of digging dirt on people , but he is quite useless with policy making etc. And it seems like Oh is trying to cut some sort of deal for himself with Minister's Chief of Staff. So I think there's a chance he will also betray Song. 

Yes @Yippeun_eonnie Kang seems to be at risk of losing her position as party's spokesperson given that her 'sponsor' Assemblyman Jo is constantly sidelining her . But then again Kang is very shrewd and I am not so worried for her as we have seen her handle Jo very subtly but effectively. 

Urghh Tae Joon should have known better than to keep the USB in his desk. Somewhere at home , in the pocket of a jacket, inside some books ...I could think of a million places . Probably this a plot device but still...:unsure:.

I like TJ's team - or more like I like both intern Han and HW. I can see why Han has been so starstruck by TJ as the latter has shown support for his own dad in the past. Even though Han got the job via Oh , I don't think he's Oh's person so to speak. Yes, HW was a reporter and I think she was the one who may have published the Bugang whistleblower's case. So in some ways Han and HW share the sort of ideals that TJ has , and I would like to see them be on his team even as he runs for assembly. I am not sure if we will get to see that this season. This season is 10 episodes long and season 2 will be shown in November. 

5 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Question though, is the relationship of Kang and TJ a secret? But don't they live together? Wouldn't the aide of Kang know? 

Yes, it seems to be a secret. But I think Kang's aide knows - when they passed TJ , she said she forgot something and need to go back to the office to look for it. ( she had wanted to talk to TJ) - the aide had this knowing look but does not say it. Even HW is aware. She once saw TJ and Kang leave the office together and she had this resigned expression. She also kept away the medicine that she had bought for TJ instead of giving it to him.

21 minutes ago, triplem said:

So in some ways Han and HW share the sort of ideals that TJ has , and I would like to see them be on his team even as he runs for assembly. I am not sure if we will get to see that this season. This season is 10 episodes long and season 2 will be shown in November. 

I don't think so either that he will become assembly man this season that it will be next season. I do want to see him with Lee or at least help Lee in some way to become Minister of Justice or at least speaker of the house. Lee is a person whom the voters really need. 

Looking forward to tonight. Song will "punish" TJ is his own way -_-...anyway on a side note , I hope the actor gets well soon and does not stress himself too much. He has a guest role on the upcoming Designated Survivor : 60 Days

I like them together and always have this slight worry that they may betray each other. I am also hoping they don't push the love triangle - TJ , Kang, HW. I prefer the romance to be a side dish ! If they really want some love lines - intern Han can be paired with HW :D 

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/06/chief-of-staff-episode-1/

recap of dramabeans of episode 1, detailed and insightful, i hope they will continue done the recaps of the drama. 

52 minutes ago, triplem said:

I like them together and always have this slight worry that they may betray each other. I am also hoping they don't push the love triangle - TJ , Kang, HW. I prefer the romance to be a side dish ! If they really want some love lines - intern Han can be paired with HW

@triplem I like them together too and yes let the romance be a sidedish. I think the intern is already crushing on HW but there is also the reporter who helped her with releasing the article. I think the reporter is probably an extra. Anyhow, please drama, continue with the political maneuvering. I want to see the team headed by TJ fight and win

This show is undeniably a fantastic ride so far and the last couple of episodes proved (I hope) that the first two weren't a fluke. Most of the credit I think goes to the stellar writing. Of course the actors make it work too.;) Veterans and younger actors alike. For a show about party politics, it feels so much like a detective cum heist drama. Certain scenes were reminiscent of something like The Sting or the Italian Job or Leverage (I adore heist films incidentally ) and the drama has me at the edge of my seat the entire time. I wonder if the fact that it's only a 10 episode drama makes all the difference in the world in terms of tight plotting and efficient storytelling. Plus it's superb how romance is minimally incorporated here without detracting from the overall narrative.

Admittedly I worry about the romance between JTJ and KSY because it seems from the preview that trying days are ahead of them. I like their dynamic in terms of how they support each other in the political arena and out of it. I wasn't sure how KSY was invested in that relationship previously and what kind of person she was. But it certainly feels, after the more recent episodes, that she's clearly supportive of TJ's career and does have genuine concerns for her local community. That was a relief to me. However, whether that relationship will be able to weather the storms ahead, depends largely on where I think they want to take this show.

It's good to see Jung Woong-In again... although he's a much less likeable creature here than he was in Prison Playbook, there's no doubt he plays villains well. Here he's reliably slimy and has his eye on TJ's job/ his old job. The show doesn't allow TJ to ever rest on his laurels so while he's trying to put out fires here and there, a rival arrives nipping at his heel clearly wanting to oust him from Song Hee Seob's good graces. But the reality is that SHS needs JTJ probably as much as/more than JTJ needs him. Sure keeping the USB in the top drawer came back to bite TJ but as we've worked out, TJ is a master at turning crisis into opportunity... an observation that I too made last week. 

Song HS may think he's the owner and perhaps for now that appellation stands. But my feeling is that though he has enough cunning to keep his head above the water, he is not as much the master of the game as he thinks. If TJ can undermine his campaign to be Justice Minister just by making a few calls, it's clear who is the brains of the operation.

KSY makes an obvious but salient point about how politics when boiled down to its essence, is really about people using people. Although it may sound reductionist on some level, there's something to it. But rather than say "using", I would put it this way. It's a relationship that can be mutually beneficial, that promotes mutual self-interest. When played well, all parties can benefit. SY demonstrated that in the women's shelter. No doubt politicians use charities to promote their profile but hey, if you want government funding and support, you've got to smile for the cameras and tell your sob story. Like it or not, governments too need justification for using tax payer's money to fund worthy but competing projects.

I expect that we will be hearing more about the plight of whistleblowers in this series because I feel that we've only touched the tip of the iceberg. HDK and YHW's interest in that issue indicates that at least. A government can't get serious about corruption until it offers much better protection for whistleblowers. No one will blow the lid off anything if all that happens to them is ostracization and destitution. Without the rule of law, corruption rules the roost and society eventually falls into decay.

After all these years of watching K dramas, it's obvious that the political corruption is systemic. It isn't just the fact that a lot of the politicking is theatre for public approval, it's that no one can get anywhere in politics without having strong backing or connections. The result is that democracy is more a sham than a grassroots movement. Seeing how the minions are physically abused and humiliated in appalling ways does beg the question as to whether SKs are doomed to be trapped in Joseon perennially. 

44 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Admittedly I worry about the romance between JTJ and KSY because it seems from the preview that trying days are ahead of them. I like their dynamic in terms of how they support each other in the political arena and out of it. I wasn't sure how KSY was invested in that relationship previously and what kind of person she was. But it certainly feels, after the more recent episodes, that she's clearly supportive of TJ's career and does have genuine concerns for her local community. That was a relief to me. However, whether that relationship will be able to weather the storms ahead, depends largely on where I think they want to take this show.

I think i might have felt a little emotional at the end when she was smiling so happily at him but it was a bittersweet moment for him since she may be the "card" that he has to throw away . Urghh. After 4 episodes , she does seem to be of great help to him while delicately balancing her own position . So I would be somewhat disappointed if he does choose  to get rid of her to advance his own ambitions. I do hope he can once again turn crisis into opportunity but who knows . While TJ is a "good" person, he has come too far to throw his dream away , so I wonder if he will tell her to resign so that she does not get hurt. 

I thought the conversation that he and Lee had at the rooftop was quite telling. Lee is a man of integrity and truly has the people's welfare at heart ; TJ's values and beliefs are not as clear. I guess he needs to be in some sort of position in order to be able to serve the people but so far from my observation of him , it seems the  ends will justify the means. So he may be willing to make some sacrifices and compromises along the way .

@zenya22 if before this  HW did not know that something was going on between Kang and TJ, she definitely does now. 

23 hours ago, triplem said:

I too doubt that Song will actually keep his promise to nominate TJ when he becomes the minister of Justice , but now the chances seem close to nil. But TJ is too good at what he does for Song to fire him now. Song will still need him to help him oust the present Minister and secure the position himself.

I agre. I think  Assemblyman Song won`t keep his promise and I hope  Tae Joon won`t put all his trust on his promise. I think he is not naive. He kept the evidence on his boss. The moment I saw him putting the USB in his desk I knew someone will take it later.  Bad move.

22 hours ago, triplem said:

I like them together and always have this slight worry that they may betray each other. I am also hoping they don't push the love triangle - TJ , Kang, HW. I prefer the romance to be a side dish ! If they really want some love lines - intern Han can be paired with HW

I like that they are in a relationship already. I do worry a little that it will be a time when one of them will have to do something that will affect the other negatively.

Yoon Hye-Won has a crush on Tae Joon and Han Do-Kyung has a crush on her. I don`t think it will have a love triangle. I don`t worry about that.  Seeing Intern Han so innocent and enthusiastic on politics, I don`t want his heart to be hurt. He will be dissapointed, I am sure. He will learn that cruel reality, that politics... kind of sucks.  Sorry!

I wish to know more about Sun Young. I think she is the daughter of Assemblyman Song and nobody knows the information yet.  I read again the first page of this thread to see if it is true but it wasn`t there. I don`t know where I read about this. Let see if I understood corectly.

Song is totally ruthless. I think though that TJ became a little complacent with that USB when he just casually put it on his office drawer and forgot about it because he did not expect WS to be back in the office as aide to Song. That really should teach him a lesson though that with the work he does he can't take anything for granted. I think Han Do Kyung, the intern will become as good if not better than TJ. TJ looks like he does not have a conscience but he does know what laws and reforms to support, what is good and just for people. So he is fighting in the only way he thinks will win him what he supports but also his ambition. I love what he did to get both Song and Jo to cooperate with each other and get what he wants. Kang and TJ seem to understand and even help each other. The Justice Minister recommended Song to the President's Aide but the Minister got a text before he went to the press conference. Next scene shows WS running to Song to show the TV channel where the President's choice for Justice Minister was announced as JO and not Song.  Jo thought he totally won, but then TJ sent an email about his family corruption specifically his wife and also gave the press the information that Song has the testimony of Kim In Gyu against Bugang and the press went storming Song's office to verify information regarding Kim In Gyu. TJ is a champion political juggler. He got Jo and Song to meet and compromise. Song will support Jo to be the floor leader and Jo will recommend Song to be Minister of Justice. However, a very difficult and painful sacrifice will be asked of TJ, to destroy or "rid of" his ardent love and partner, his political ally and most avid supporter the beautiful and astute politician Assembly Woman Kang Sun Young. Ohhhhh.... but he should be real careful as the saying goes "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". What a cliffhanger for next week. This drama is a smashing winner. Lee Jung Jae is an ace at his role as the juggler, it fits him, but so are all the other actors.

I think that something happened to Hye Won when she was working as a journalist and reported on the shabby practices of Hanjung Company and the whistle blower punished, hospitalized and the family harassed. What is her story, what happened to her or what horrible event did she witness? 

I don't like Joon Wok the other male aide looking down on the intern and bossing around SY and the other female aide Da Jung ordering her to give him coffee as if he does not have his own hands to make himself one. 

2 hours ago, triplem said:

I think i might have felt a little emotional at the end when she was smiling so happily at him but it was a bittersweet moment for him since she may be the "card" that he has to throw away . Urghh. After 4 episodes , she does seem to be of great help to him while delicately balancing her own position . So I would be somewhat disappointed if he does choose  to get rid of her to advance his own ambitions. I do hope he can once again turn crisis into opportunity but who knows . While TJ is a "good" person, he has come too far to throw his dream away , so I wonder if he will tell her to resign so that she does not get hurt. 

I thought the conversation that he and Lee had at the rooftop was quite telling. Lee is a man of integrity and truly has the people's welfare at heart ; TJ's values and beliefs are not as clear. I guess he needs to be in some sort of position in order to be able to serve the people but so far from my observation of him , it seems the  ends will justify the means. So he may be willing to make some sacrifices and compromises along the way .

@zenya22 if before this  HW did not know that something was going on between Kang and TJ, she definitely does now. 

She might well be. :( But I also wonder if it's a trick on the part of the show to make us think that she's the dispensable card. It's not as if she's just a political ally... they're living together like they're in a long-term relationship and she's put herself on the line for him more than once that we know of. It sometimes feels to me that she went into politics primarily to support him.

I love how much of a savvy realist she is though. I am really hoping that it's all just a smokescreen to make us think that he's going to drop her like hot potato. Whatever it is, I am sure it will be heaps of fun seeing how he gets out of this unholy predicament because I love how JTJ gives new meaning to troubleshooting each week. ;)

I think a character like LSM is important even if he's a rarity in politics. There are people who go into politics to do good and to represent the interests of their electorate. However, the show realistically shows that idealism can only go so far. He allowed himself to be used as a punching bag which I don't think helps his cause in the long run. One can't play by Marquess of Queensbury rules when everyone else is playing a somewhat different game with different rules. I'm not saying that he has to resort to the tactics of his political adversaries and play dirty but he should have (within the confines of the law) asked for an investigation into the incident and got legal help to deal with the ramifications of the incident. If he lets things pass once too often, his enemies will just keep doing the same things to him or use this against him and this will eventually wear him down or even hurt his family. He's no good to anyone politically crippled or dead. 

I don't doubt that there needs to be balance. "Innocent as doves and wise as serpents". I suppose it's too early for us to say definitively what TJ's real agenda is. But I think he has a conscience still. Honestly, I understand why he has to resort to underhanded tactics like blackmail at times... especially when you're dealing with unconscionable individuals. They don't speak the same language as guys like LSM.

I'm pretty sure HW has known about KSY for some time. These people all have a history with JTJ in some fashion even if we don't quite know what all of that entails.

I should also add that I love what they're doing with HDK. He is really coming into his own as a researcher and investigator. Sweet kid and it's cute the way he's crushing on HW. And he's certainly much more on the ball than the brown nosing Noh. 

On 6/16/2019 at 11:05 PM, zenya22 said:

I am here for Lee Jung Jae but the episode really attracted me. I thought I was watching a movie until I realized it was a series. The leads have great chemistry and the story is fast faced and love the mindgames between the parties. Off to see 2nd episode. 

agree... i watched coz of the actors but got hooked on the fast phased drama enfolding.

btw, nice to see familiar name on this thread ^_^

6 hours ago, triplem said:

if before this  HW did not know that something was going on between Kang and TJ, she definitely does now. 

@triplemI do think that she had known for awhile. Seems she and TJ have a history. She told him at one time that she will do everything to get one of the reporter she knows to write and publish an article regarding Bugang and said "you know the reason why I gave up on reporting and am now working here". TJ may have helped her then. 

When I thought what a great team Tae Joon and Sun Young made, I had to see the last scene where Jo Gap Young wanted to know the one who betrayed him. :tears:

It is really a roller-coster to work there. I would not like it but it is a facinated watch. I hope Tae joo will make his dream come true but not with a big price to pay.  I love this drama. I can`t wait to see what happens next. 

Archived