[Drama 2019] Aide/Chief of Staff Season 1& 2, 보좌관

larus

July 4, 2019

The Bingsu From JTBC Drama "Chief of Staff" Becomes a Big Hit

Source: Money Today via HanCinema.net

photo1078672.jpg

Coffee brand Coffee Bay is gaining popularity ever since it appeared in the jTBC drama "Chief of Staff".

On the episode of "Chief of Staff" on the 29th of June, Jang Tae-joon (Lee Jung-jae) and Kang Seon-yeong (Shin Min-ah) enjoyed a date while eating 'Life Bingsu' at Coffee Bay.

The menu they had was the Peach Plum Bingsu, a combination of peach and plum with shaved ice.

Other than that, Coffee Bay introduced five kinds of snowflake shaved ice and four kinds of ice shaved ice for the summer season, and is driving sales of its franchise stores for that time.

Coffee Bay CEO Baek Jin-sung said, "We are experiencing marketing effects, as request for certain menus at Coffee Bay have gone up right after the drama broadcasted. Through further production support, we plan on increasing recognition for the brand and franchise sales".

"Chief of Staff" is directed by Kwak Jeong-hwan, written by Lee Dae-il, and features Lee Jung-jae, Shin Min-ah, Lee Elijah, Kim Dong-jun, Jung Jin-young, Kim Kap-soo. Broadcasting information in Korea: 2019/06/14~Now airing, Fri, Sat 23:00 on jTBC.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what happened to the girl from SY's program. Who beat her and who is the father of her unborn baby that she wanted to abort. Will it affect the launching or support of the program? Some shady pol like Jo will use it against SY. 

The presidential aide met with Song and said that if there is much opposition at the hearing that the President might withdraw his nomination of Song for justice ministry. Now that TJ realizes that Song and Jo are wanting to rid of him I can't wait to see what he will do and what SY and DJ will also do. TJ is too good to be gotten rid of that easily. What about HW? I think she stays at her job to support TJ wholeheartedly. 

HW was an investigative reporter once. So, when she saw what DJ put at the desk from the printing company, she did her own investigating of OWS activities with the printing company. He is using Song's office as his money making business and got caught by HW. 

We shall see what TJ is made of. He is a survivalist. 

Re-watched and HDJ was used by OSW to do research and write ups on the programs OSW requested and have them printed without knowledge of Song and gets kickbacks from the printers. That was why HDJ was fired. HDJ's lessons on how to be an aide is coming fast and furious at him. He is starting to lose his idealism and innocence. Hopefully his facial expressions will change too. 

The Samil Association is comprised of powerful "men" in politics and business and for the first time, JTJ was admitted to the club through the introduction of Song. The Samil Association is where "negotiations" are conducted through. If JTJ loses Song, he will lose connection with the club. But I think that the club will see who will win the fight and decide whom they will throw away, Song or JTJ. I think whoever wins will get the support of the members. 

TJ's face at the ending of the episode!! We are in for a fight. 

Ep 7 was intense! Like the scenes between JTJ & LSM, the conflicts n the wish to protect each other as they charter thru the stormy seas of politics. Pairing them up as mentor n mentee is the highlight of the drama. Esp sad when they both realised tat there seems to be no way to compromise while staying on opposite sides of the line. The last drinks as fren.

OWS is 1 sly character, so glad he is temporary out of pic esp aft tat under belt stunt involving JTJ dad. Still with the current development, OWS might make a comeback soon.

Ms Yun is my fave female character now. She is so attuned to the subtle developments, probably owning to her days as reporter, n her loyalty to JTJ. Although am not sure wat qualifications a Chief of Staff must have but when JTJ becomes assemblyman, Ms Yun is definitely the woman as his Chief.

HDG is the naive part of us who just believes n want to please. He will grow stronger aft all the trials n return to help JTJ.

Episode 8 is the most exciting yet, I was so antsy at the edge of my seat!!! This is one nerve wracking episode. Drank some soju to calm down lol. My heart, my heart ....just because of a campaign fund that was raised illegally by JTJ when he was working for LSM before he went to work for Song, LSM was ousted from the hearing and Song got the nomination just when they were about to win in getting Song's nomination blocked. Song put all the blame on JTJ and arranged for the prosecutors in advance to arrest TJ and put him prison for 5 years. When TJ ran, Song put an APB on him. TJ trusted the old goon so much even when SY was telling him that Song will never keep his promises. All the police officers working with TJ were also arrested. 

Chairman Sung played by another favorite veteran actor Go In Bum wanted Song to give up his bid for Justice Minister and I thought that was it, Song is out and LSM and SY will win against Song because even the President seemed to want to withdraw his nomination.  However, OSW found that JTJ had done some illegal fund raising for the campaign bid of LSM to become an Assemblyman and used that against LSM. This is yet the best episode of the series and there is no preview for the next episode next week.

I guess LSM and team could not use HDJ since JTJ never used the USB in the first place. I think all of the JTJ's team are going to rally against Song that includes HW and DJ. Can't wait for next Saturday. All the members of the Samil Club are now celebrating. Maybe the old Justice Minister who hates Song more than TJ will help out. I am also angry at LSM who I thought needed to put a rod in his back, swallow his idealistic pride and fight back but it seems he got killed or killed himself to save TJ from prosecution? WHOA...I feel sad and so disappointed because I thought LSM would be the one to fight back but by killing himself he just admitted to the world that he did wrong and what about the ones left behind, his daughter and his wife and TJ and his own team? 

2 hours ago, ilmare said:

Ep 7 was intense! Like the scenes between JTJ & LSM, the conflicts n the wish to protect each other as they charter thru the stormy seas of politics. Pairing them up as mentor n mentee is the highlight of the drama. Esp sad when they both realised tat there seems to be no way to compromise while staying on opposite sides of the line. The last drinks as fren.

OWS is 1 sly character, so glad he is temporary out of pic esp aft tat under belt stunt involving JTJ dad. Still with the current development, OWS might make a comeback soon.

Ms Yun is my fave female character now. She is so attuned to the subtle developments, probably owning to her days as reporter, n her loyalty to JTJ. Although am not sure wat qualifications a Chief of Staff must have but when JTJ becomes assemblyman, Ms Yun is definitely the woman as his Chief.

HDG is the naive part of us who just believes n want to please. He will grow stronger aft all the trials n return to help JTJ.

I know the scene between TJ & LSM was supposed to be sad, but the music and the way they shot the elevator scene after that kinda made me giggle, 'cause it felt like a forbidden bromance instead of a mentor/mentee relationship :))

I wonder if DK will join LSM's side. When Yoon talked to DK she kinda hinted that he could work with another person in the assembly.

I know right. In season two want to see a stronger, mature and yes help TJ.

Good riddance to the jerko!

35 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

Episode 8 is the most exciting yet, I was so antsy at the edge of my seat!!! This is one nerve wracking episode. Be back after soju to calm down lol 

Wooh! I'm excited to check the episode now... even if I don't understand raw.

Off topic:

Lovin' these political dramas  Aide and Designated survivor. Then next political thriller will be Vagabond ( like 1 yr in the making, been delayed much) lets all watch that too chingus.  But before that Lets all watch  The Devil Is calling You Name ( yeees!) and Justice ( Choi Jin Hyuk) and lets all enjoy good dramas have good discussions as well :)

Man, the opening and the ending of this ep are the complete opposite. I smiled like a child watching the opening scenes, which shows TJ back when he was a naive, hardworking secretary just like HDK now. But the ending was so heartbreaking. They mention a funeral in the preview, so that means LSM's gonna die right? :bawling: And now that Song knows KSY is TJ's girlfriend, he's gonna try to bring her down :dissapointed: The only good thing in the preview is TJ and KSY still working together.

Poor Lee Seong Min :bawling:

I hope in next episode Tae Jun will gather everything to defeat assemblyman Song...he is such a very dirty politician. I thought he cannot use his brain.. but turns out his brain work perfectly to do dirty tricks.

And I wonder what will Oh do next since he won't have the assemblyman nomination replacing Song in his district, his face showed so much disappointment to what Song said about him for not to be greedy.

I still have hidden card to defeat Song without his knowing... the driver.....driver Lee. He is very meticulous and write everything about who Song met where and at what time. And he is siding with Tae Jun as he helped Tae Jun runway from the restaurant and act as he knew nothing very naturally. He is really one of my hidden card if the writer agree.

Ms Kang also will be in trouble next week as Song will use the press to tackle her. But we have 2 more episodes left so I guess the climax will be next week.

I hope assemblyman Lee will survive... Song will go to jail along with all his minions... the cheeky prosecutor will be send to countryside... Lee will be the next minister... Kang will be the spokeperson again and Tae Jun will become the next floorleader. 

Ah I forgot intern Han and Ms Yun... I hope Ms Yun will become the next chief of staff for Tae Jun and Han will replace her position as the secretary. 

Pass me a box or carton of tissues! Ep 8 is totally a heartbreaker. When JTJ managed to find a way to save himself, OWS dealt him a fatal blow. No wonder the saying politics is a shady world. I know tis is drama n everything is hype up but still if politicians can bother to invest just 50% of tat energy to common gd instead of plotting evil we will have world peace. (Pardon my out of topic rant).

Back to ep 8, the scene where JTJ realised LSM is being dragged in n when he tried to talk to LSM 1st time at the district office is heartbreaking. Although JTJ did wrong n should pay for his crime, never in his wildest dream would he have tot LSM will be dragged in. When LSM was tidying up district office n at the open window, i already had a bad feeling but hope tat both mentor n mentee would join hands to fight it thru. Still i can understd LSM taking his life, to spare his family of the humiliation n also to save JTJ cos with his death the bribery case should (correct me if i wrong) be closed. N perhaps LSM felt responsible for JTJ taking the 1st step down tat dark path.

Tears again when JTJ met with Ms Yun. Why why why, they make a great team n now it is like all over with JTJ throwing in the towel.

Next wk will b the final eps n ep 8 ended with such a cliff hanger! When is Intern Han coming back? Mayb he can find something re the workplace safety (he was looking thru the info/notes) n help JTJ turn the table around. @Yippeun_eonnie forgot abt Driver Lee, thanks! They can form the dream team n fulfill LSM legacy.

On a side note, OWS has just been royally betrayed by Assemblyman Song. Cheer all around OWS is not getting Song district.

Only one more week of season 1. The sadness is starting to kick in. What am I gonna watch until season 2?? :neutral:

@Yippeun_eonnie Good thinking! I never thought of the driver as a hidden card. I know he likes TJ, but he also seems very loyal to Song, so I don't know if he is actually willing to help TJ defeat Song. We'll see.

When I saw OWS's change of facial expression after Song told him not be greedy, I thought: This guy's gonna betray Song in the end. Who knows, he might even switch sides and end up helping TJ (tho TJ would for sure not welcome him).

Me too think that Oh will do something to create a mess for Song.... as he turns out will get nothing instead stay as the chief of staff for Song. The one who will do dirty things and clean up for Song. His face mean something and it show a lot of disappointment to what Song just said to him.... that in the end he get nothing. Well Song have 1 thing in common with us in judging his 2 aides... its because no matter what happen Tae Jun is a better chief than Oh.

I really wish that this first season ended with Lee as the minister, Song stay as the assemblyman, Jo as the floor leader, Kang as the spokeperson with higher power within her as she will have backup influence from Lee. Tae Jun will become assemblyman that will giving Song hard time, within his team Yun as the chief of staff and Han as the secretary along with Da Jung... I can see why the other employee keep asking Da Jung to makes him coffee turns out its Oh who initiate that bad habit. I feel sorry for her... 

Song is trash and needs to be taken out, but I'm really mad at TJ right now. I get why he did what he did to help LSM get elected, but it was such a betrayal of his principled mentor. Given what kind of man LSM was and the cultural context, I understand why the character might commit suicide, but I hate when dramas go there. The suicide rate is so high in SK, and IMO this kind of thing helps normalize it.

I don't see Song going down until Season 2 but I'm ready for it. 

3 hours ago, qynn said:

Song is trash and needs to be taken out, but I'm really mad at TJ right now. I get why he did what he did to help LSM get elected, but it was such a betrayal of his principled mentor. Given what kind of man LSM was and the cultural context, I understand why the character might commit suicide, but I hate when dramas go there.

IKR... the end of Song was so, so near. Chairman Sung his sponsor told Song in no uncertain terms to give up his goal to become the Justice Minister since his company is being investigated as the money contributor for Song's campaign and the President's aide also told Song that the President was wanting to take back his nomination of Song. I guess there are no secrets in politics because of compromises, rub your back, you rub mine. 

13 hours ago, luvabe said:

Only one more week of season 1. The sadness is starting to kick in. What am I gonna watch until season 2?? :neutral:

Me tooooo..... haven't been tis active in soompi for a long time. Came back to support LJJ! N now blown away by the stellar plot n cast.

Lets hope we will see OWS n Song battle it out next wk. These 2 backstabbers need a taste of their own meds.

I dunno how it will end for JTJ next wk. Worried abt how he gonna deal with tge death of LSM n his political troubles. Even though LSM family like him but it will likely change when it is revealed re the illegal funds. I dun see JTJ lying to them. The guilt of wat he had done n the results will b a trial for JTJ. Currently he is alone dealing with all these n when Assemblyman Kang gets targeted, it is going to be the challenge. S1 is definitely gonna end at a high note!

7 minutes ago, ilmare said:

Me tooooo..... haven't been tis active in soompi for a long time. Came back to support LJJ! N now blown away by the stellar plot n cast.

Lets hope we will see OWS n Song battle it out next wk. These 2 backstabbers need a taste of their own meds.

I dunno how it will end for JTJ next wk. Worried abt how he gonna deal with tge death of LSM n his political troubles. Even though LSM family like him but it will likely change when it is revealed re the illegal funds. I dun see JTJ lying to them. The guilt of wat he had done n the results will b a trial for JTJ. Currently he is alone dealing with all these n when Assemblyman Kang gets targeted, it is going to be the challenge. S1 is definitely gonna end at a high note!

If there's a twist than be it.... it will be full of surprises if Jo Gap Yeong become the minister and Song is under him. Kang become spokeperson again and Tae Jun become assemblyman. Next season 2 will ruthless i guess. Who knows that Tae Jun will use his card with Jo help to tackle Song. We need bad guy with higher power to overcome Song. My mind is running with hundreds possibilities to cut Song. We know the one that linked Song to the president office secretary is Jo. 

CEO Lee and Song turned the tables on JTJ when CEO Lee became a witness for Song and accused JTJ of threatening him and his project of community re-development which most of the politicians in the Samil Club had bet their money on and were sponsors of the project. They needed a sacrificial lamb to save Song from destruction by LSM so they framed JTJ. I don't think that Lee Sung Min was against the re-development but was against the exploitation of the lower income population removing their source of income, the mom and pop stores and the public markets. The owners of big businesses did not provide guarantees of safety at the factories or security of employment. So even if they did not like Song including Jo and the party chair Lee GD, they were all against Lee Sung Min because they were all afraid that if Lee Sung Min can derail Song, LSM's popularity and influence will be strengthened. I really dislike that the drama went the way of suicide but the character of JTJ needs to be given a necessary and just cause to make an about face and avenge the death of his friend and mentor, not for his goals alone, but also that of Lee Sung Min. JTJ goes underground and is being hunted for blackmailing and threatening CEO Lee and bribery to raise money for LSM's  election. Is this drama turning into "Two Weeks" political style? JTJ knows a lot that could destroy members of the Samil Group who seem to be the movers and shakers of their part of the world. JTJ is not without resource, he was a police officer who worked with lawmakers as well as lawbreakers, news reporters like YHW and business owners. This mission would appeal to JTJ's thriller penchant. It is the pot of tea he revels brewing. 

KSY, the love and political partner of JTJ is an intelligent and savvy pol who played both Jo and Song against each other. She also liked LSM and was on his side. I am counting on her outsmart the two again. 

Looking for a twist?

So, here is a question. Did LSM really die or is it a ploy by JTJ? 

18 minutes ago, triplem said:

To be honest , his apparent suicide has bugged me . Was  it really suicide?  Could someone have pushed him ? I know we have been led to believe it was suicide but it does not seem characteristic of LSM. By killing himself, he’s admitting to guilt that is not even his to begin with , and this will brand his family in an even more negative light . If it was , I hope Tae Joon is hiding the fact his alive so that it will lower Song’s guard 

I could not see clearly the face of the man who was lying in the street beside a car. I, and maybe we,  are all assuming that the man is LSM because he was talking on the phone with JTJ who was running over to see him. Was he pushed to be run over by a car? Very good question. 

That was some cliffhanger leaving us with many questions and what if theories.

3 hours ago, zenya22 said:

I could not see clearly the face of the man who was lying in the street beside a car. I, and maybe we,  are all assuming that the man is LSM because he was talking on the phone with JTJ who was running over to see him. Was he pushed to be run over by a car? Very good question. 

That was some cliffhanger leaving us with many questions and what if theories.

LSM locked his office door so I doubt anyone could come in and push him down. I think he chose suicide because he wanted TJ to be able to continue his career - that's why LSM told TJ not to go the prosecutor and not to feel sorry.

But I agree that LSM might still be alive. Previews are usually misleading, so the funeral they mention might not be LSM's. Or maybe, like @triplem said, TJ is hiding the fact that LSM's still alive.

Archived