[Drama 2019] Aide/Chief of Staff Season 1& 2, 보좌관

larus

July 16, 2019

Unstable, anxious character reminds actor of early years after debuting

optimize

Actor and singer Kim Dong-jun meets with reporters after finishing the first season of the JTBC drama "Chief of Staff," Friday, in Sinsa, Southern Seoul. Courtesy of MAJOR9

By Lee Gyu Lee The Korea Times

After the first season of JTBC's political drama "Chief of Staff" wrapped up with moderate success last week, actor and singer Kim Dong-jun said his role in the drama has some parallels with the early years in his career. 

Kim plays Han Do-kyung who has just stepped into the "real world" as a legislative intern for a ranking lawmaker. His character is full of enthusiasm, yet he is an inexperienced newcomer to the legislature.

Before debuting as a member of K-pop boy band ZE:A, Kim followed the typical process of becoming an "idol" ― spending time as a trainee and competing with others to make it into the debut group.

He said he had gone through long periods of instability and anxiety as he was always competing with fellow trainees. "The role aligns with when I first started my career in the sense that I was always anxious about everything and was so clueless," said Kim in an interview with the reporters, Friday, in Sinsa-dong, southern Seoul. 

"But going through the struggle, I found meaning and happiness as I grew from my experiences," he said. 

At his age, he said most of his friends are job seekers or entry-level employees who are stepping into the real world. "I got a lot of help from my friends who have gone or are still going through a rite of passage for newcomers in real work," said Kim. 

He asked about the outfits they wore to work and tips on what attitude to have as a newcomer on the job. 

Kim tried his best to draw empathy among those who are in the transition to a working life. "I felt great when I found people's comments that they sympathized with the character," he said.

8bbd07eeea314663b806fd0940d37cac.jpg
A poster for the drama. Courtesy of JTBC

The drama revolves around Jang Tae-joon ― played by Lee Jung-jae ― who is chief of staff for a lawmaker named Song Hee-seob ― played by Kim Kap-soo. The story develops on the closed-door maneuvering among lawmakers and their staff at the National Assembly. As Jang chases a strong ambition to become a lawmaker himself, he faces betrayal and conspiracies. 

To play the unfamiliar role, Kim said that he did a lot of research to learn about the world inside the Assembly and politicians' offices. "I visited two National Assemblymen's offices to get realistic advice from the politicians and their staff," Kim noted. 

He even took subways to the National Assembly during morning rush hour to observe people on their way to work. "I tried my best to make my character as familiar and realistic as possible."

Most of the time, he barely put on any makeup to project the modest and work-focused personality of the character. 

"I know some men are taking time to groom themselves nowadays. But the director told me that this character isn't one of those and would put far less emphasis on looks."

The drama, directed by Kwak Jung-hwan, drew people's attention even before it was aired because this was the first TV series for actor Lee in 10 years. Kim shared his experience of what it was like working closely with him as his character works in Jang's office. 

"It felt so surreal to work with such an admirable veteran actor like Lee. The way my character looks up to Jang Tae-joon is much like how I feel about him." 

Ending with the TV series' highest viewership at 5.3 percent, the production company is preparing for the next season.

"It was a bit awkward to have a wrap-up party after the season because we were going to see each other the following week," said Kim. "As for soccer games, we have passed the first half and are in half-time, gearing up for the second half." 

The first season's last episode showed Jang yielding to power to work up the hierarchical ladder. "Season two will be filled with new stories and a new environment," said Kim. It is scheduled to air in November.

Kim debuted in 2010 as a singer in ZE:A, but began developing his career in acting in 2011 with the TV drama "Crossing the Yeongdo Bridge." He has since diversified his portfolio by taking part in musicals and reality shows. 

gyulee@koreatimes.co.kr 

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, zenya22 said:

. TJ said though that season 2 will be darker. I am thinking TJ will be a real badass the next season 

Sounds good. ;)

I'm really hoping that's the case. This is why I watch shows like this because I expect the show to take things and characters to their logical conclusion. I don't expect things to be pretty in any case but I do expect TJ to act consistently with his ambitious idealism. I don't think we should forget that TJ is an idealist even if his methods don't seem to his friends/allies to be consistent with his ideals. But as I've said previously, I think that his tactics have so far been quite consistent with his egotistical impulse to change the world. It will be interesting to see if his quest for power will consume him completely.

On the subject of OWS I think things could have turned out differently for Team TJ if OWS had not been in the picture. Things were going quite well for them before his unwelcomed arrival. It is as if Minister Song keeps him around to keep both men in check... like when kings of old maintained factional rivalries to keep the balance of power and to keep away potential threats to his throne by encouraging factional fighting.

Tactically I'm of the view that OWS needs to go before TJ goes after Song.

Kim Dong Jun Talks About “Chief Of Staff,” Advice From Im Siwan, And More

Jul 20, 2019
by L. Kim

d04aadd0fae148f4936772cc95d685ab.jpeg?s=

The first season of Kim Dong Jun’s latest drama, “Chief of Staff,” recently came to a conclusion.

Following the ending, the idol-turned-actor participated in an interview to talk about various topics concerning his career.

First off, Kim Dong Jun talked about his anticipation for the viewership ratings of the second season of “Chief of Staff.” He said, “As season one ended in a dramatic fashion, I think you will look forward to [season two] more. If you’ve seen season one, you will have a better understanding [of the story], so please anticipate it. If I describe it as a sporting event, the first half is over and now it’s the halftime. This is the process of trying to get to the second half.”

When asked if he had any similarities to his character Han Do Kyung, he answered, “I thought a lot of times when I started as a trainee. It was the first step in society away from the fence of school, home and family. I think that’s when I started to be a trainee in my life. I could relate to why he was so nervous and hard-working. When I first came in as a trainee, I also didn’t want to miss out on the stories of each and every one of my the staff, senior artists, and junior artists. I was always tense. Therefore, I became very empathetic to those who are in the early years of society. The reason why interns make mistakes is because they don’t know anything. If they knew everything, the word ‘internship’ or ‘social beginner’ wouldn’t apply to them.”

Kim Dong Jun was asked how he prepared for his role, and he said, “I learned while visiting two offices of the National Assembly. I saw how things went. The aide explained that if you think about it simply, this is your company. I heard that interns go around many congressional offices to get a stamp on a royalty or joint venture. I tried to express myself that way after hearing the explanation that it’s a step-by-step process.”

more

https://www.soompi.com/article/1340014wpp/kim-dong-jun-talks-about-chief-of-staff-advice-from-im-siwan-and-more

• 2 weeks later...

August 3, 2019

Im Siwan Shows Love For Fellow ZE:A Member Kim Dong Jun On Set Of “Chief Of Staff” cuppa.gif

Source: Soompi by J. Lim

Im Siwan Shows Love For Fellow ZE:A Member Kim Dong Jun On Set Of âChief Of Staffâ

Im Siwan showed his support for his fellow ZE:A member Kim Dong Jun recently!

Kim Dong Jun’s agency Major 9 shared photos on their official social media account with the caption, “Experienced intern Jang Geu Rae from ‘Incomplete Life (Misaeng)’ has sent his witty and loyal support to dedicated intern Han Do Kyung from ‘Chief of Staff’! ‘The life of an intern is hard for everyone~ From experienced intern Jang Geu Rae.’ Sunny and dedicated intern who is willing to run wherever he is needed. How much will Do Kyung have changed by the next time you see him? One big step! Please anticipate season two of ‘Chief of Staff’ to see Han Do Kyung’s growth!”

The photos show Kim Dong Jun posing in front of a snack truck with a bright smile on his face. The banners on the truck read, “The life of an intern is hard for everyone~ From experienced intern Jang Geu Rae” and “Our Do Kyung has a very sunny personality, but he’s also good at his job! From Im Siwan.”

Both Kim Dong Jun and Im Siwan have been branching out into the acting world. Kim Dong Jun wrapped up his appearance in the JTBC drama “Chief of Staff” in July, and he is set to reprise the role when the second season premieres in November. Im Siwan is currently gearing up for his new drama, OCN’s “Hell is Other People,” which will premiere on August 31.

Source (1)

• 2 weeks later...

Shin Min Ah Receives Sweet Support From Boyfriend Kim Woo Bin

Aug 12, 2019
by L. Kim
f87f1ffe4e164d249ddbfcffaf972a5f.jpeg?s=

Kim Woo Bin sent a coffee truck to the set of “Chief of Staff” to support his girlfriend Shin Min Ah!

The coffee truck business Support Truck uploaded photos of the coffee truck with cool drinks and macarons and wrote, “A support truck full of Kim Woo Bin’s sincerity has arrived on the set of ‘Chief of Staff’ for the many members of the cast and crew.” Support Truck shared they heard Shin Min Ah was happy to see the banner reading “I support all the cast and crew of ‘Chief of Staff,’ especially Shin Min Ah,” which was written by Kim Woo Bin himself. According to them, Kim Woo Bin’s sweet gesture made her the center of envy.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1345013wpp/shin-min-ah-receives-sweet-support-from-boyfriend-kim-woo-bin

It looks like they are filming for the second season. YAY.

I miss this drama. I hope to see more information about the next season.

These drinks, churros and cute staff are what Lee Minho made to support actor Lee Jung Jae in his shooting schedule.

Cofee & food truck for Shin Min Ah at Chief of Staff season 2 set. 

Shin Min Ah, Coffee Tea Certification Shot during Chief of Staff 2

201909210920176210_1.jpg

Shin Min Ah shared a coffee tea certification shot.

Actor Shin Min-ah shared four photos on September 20 with the phrase "thank you" on her Instagram.

https://news.joins.com/article/23583068

12 hours ago, luvabe said:

Our dreamy Chief of Staff Lee Jung-jae is nominated for the Top Excellence Award at the Korea Drama Awards!!! :glasses:

I think /hope he will win. :D But even if he will not take the award, it is good that he was nominated. Kim Dong-Wook is nominated again and he won an award already for his role in Special Labor Inspector Mr. Jo. We`ll see. Whoever will win, congratulation.

The last script.

Spoiler

Do Eun-Bi who plays a supporting character, No Da-Jung , last day of shooting and her birthday (on September 28)

18 hours ago, luvabe said:

Our dreamy Chief of Staff Lee Jung-jae is nominated for the Top Excellence Award at the Korea Drama Awards!!! :glasses:

6 hours ago, larus said:

I think /hope he will win. :D But even if he will not take the award, it is good that he was nominated. Kim Dong-Wook is nominated again and he won an award already for his role in Special Labor Inspector Mr. Jo. We`ll see. Whoever will win, congratulation.

Yes to LSJ KDW.  For award seasons we want awards given to thosr who excel and not because they're popular.  I also wish JiSung (from Doctor Yohan) is nominated too cause ..talk about excellent acting!

Waiting for season 2 and I can tell you guys Aide is my fav drama of 2019  for me anway.  And that's only season 1 what more season 2.

I wonder what will happen to TJT. I mean it's hard to have moral integrity when in politics because there are temptations leading to power and corruption and blackmail but  you have to have conviction.   Excited  for Season 2.

More group pictures as the drama has finished shooting

Spoiler

Kim Dong-joon's fans cheer for the actor
We sent coffee tea present to drama <advisor> season 2 shooting room.

Spoiler

11 hours ago, jongski said:

I wonder what will happen to TJT. I mean it's hard to have moral integrity when in politics because there are temptations leading to power and corruption and blackmail but  you

have to have conviction.   Excited  for Season 2.

I can`t wait to watch it as well. 10 episodes will pass so quickly. This second part will be like a resolusion of the events in first season.

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2019] Aide/Chief of Staff season 1& 2, 보좌관 - Mon & Tue @ 21:30 KST - Season 2 premieres on November 11th

The first teaser of season 2. YAY!

JTBC’s “Chief Of Staff” Announces Premiere Date For 2nd Season With Teaser Video

Oct 1, 2019

2c0f548dd62d40a1b8bb56bb00db6b80.jpeg?s=

“Chief of Staff” is returning with a second season!

On October 1, JTBC officially announced the second season of “Chief of Staff” by releasing a teaser video.

In the first season, Jang Tae Joon (Lee Jung Jae) was an ambitious senior aide of powerful politicians who graduated at the top of his class in the police academy but turned to politics to seek more power. The season ended with Jang Tae Joon announcing his candidacy for the National Assembly.

According to the teaser video, Jang Tae Joon will return as a member of the National Assembly for the second season. The upcoming season will tell the survival story of Jang Tae Joon as he begins his life as an Assembly man. The main cast remains the same with Shin Min Ah, Lee Elijah, Kim Dong Jun, Kim Kap Soo, and Jung Woong In. New actors joining the drama include Jung Man Sik, Park Hyo Joo, and Jo Bok Rae.

The production team said, “On November 11 at 9:30 p.m. KST, the first episode of ‘Chief of Staff 2’ will air. The key point to the second season is what kind of political path Jang Tae Joon, who has sacrificed and paid to become an Assemblyperson, will take as he is at the peak of having power.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1356130wpp/jtbcs-chief-of-staff-announces-premiere-date-for-2nd-season-with-teaser-video

Episode 10 -- Did Taejun... actually have his friend killed? I'm completely shocked. Is he really walking down this path? What a development, but I certainly can't say that I'm happy with the way this is going. I am looking forward to season two, I wonder how he's gonna still be the 'good guy' protagonist. Every 'bad' thing he's done up until just now was either a temporary setback or mitigating disaster. Even the Seojuk market thing could probably be justified as he tries to explain. But this... I can't explain. I'm at a loss for words. I hope they concoct some way of him not knowing about it but that's just not realistic, right?

14 hours ago, jokesapart said:

Episode 10 -- Did Taejun... actually have his friend killed? I'm completely shocked. Is he really walking down this path? What a development, but I certainly can't say that I'm happy with the way this is going.

I never thought that Tae Jun killed his friend. I know that he was desperate for that nomination, he is on the edge but I don`t think he killed his friend. But we`ll see.

October 2 2019

First two teaser trailers for JTBC drama series “Chief of Staff 2”

Chief_of_Staff_2-SM111-.jpg

First two teaser trailers added for JTBC drama series “Chief of Staff 2” starring Lee Jung-Jae and Shin Min-A. The drama series is a sequel to JTBC’s “Chief of Staff” which aired earlier this year. Set to return and reprise their respective character’s from season 1 are Lee Jung-Jae, Shin Min-A, Lee Elijah, Kim Dong-Joon, Kim Kap-Soo and Jung Woong-In. Also cast to play new characters are Jeong Man-Sik, Park Hyo-Joo and Jo Bok-Rae. Teaser trailer #1 briefly introduces all 8 of these actors and teaser trailer #2 focuses on Lee Jung-Jae as Jang Tae-Joon. In season 2, Jang Tae-Joon (Lee Jung-Jae) returns as a lawmaker.

“Chief of Staff 2” first airs November 11, 2019 in South Korea.

Shin Min Ah Prepares To Return Stronger Than Ever In “Chief Of Staff” Season 2

Oct 9, 2019
by C. Hong

ad5b1e3a0a1a444983fbc5dcdc4ddcf8.jpeg?s=

On October 9, JTBC released stills of Shin Min Ah in the upcoming second season for “Chief of Staff.”

The first season of “Chief of Staff” aired earlier this year and told the story of politicians and their political aides and advisors. In addition to Shin Min Ah, it starred Lee Jung Jae, Lee Elijah, Kim Dong Joon, Kim Kap Soo, and more.

Spoilers (Season 1)

Shin Min Ah’s character, Kang Sun Young, began Season 1 as a newly elected member of the National Assembly and a proportional representative of the ruling party. She rose as high as spokeswoman for the party and continued on her path despite numerous obstacles placed in her way by Song Hee Seob (Kim Kap Soo) and his running mate, Jo Gab Young (Kim Hong Fa). But during her investigation into Song Hee Seob’s corruption, her chief aide, Go Suk Man (Im Won Hee), died mysteriously.

This is not the only suspicious death surrounding Song Hee Seob. Lee Sung Min (Jung Jin Young), who was preparing a hearing to block Song Hee Seob’s appointment to the position of Minister of Justice, took his own life. Even Jang Tae Joon (Lee Jung Jae) eventually bowed down to authority in order to become a National Assembly member.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1357811wpp/shin-min-ah-prepares-to-return-stronger-than-ever-in-chief-of-staff-season-2

Archived