[Drama 2019] Aide/Chief of Staff Season 1& 2, 보좌관

larus

On 7/8/2019 at 1:53 PM, zenya22 said:

KSY, the love and political partner of JTJ is an intelligent and savvy pol who played both Jo and Song against each other. She also liked LSM and was on his side. I am counting on her outsmart the two again. 

Looking for a twist?

So, here is a question. Did LSM really die or is it a ploy by JTJ? 

WOW... I love this statement. She did outsmart TJ with LSM nomination to tackle Song previously, by putting Lee as the hearing member it did jeopardize Song at that moment and result to this chaos. Now I do waiting for that moment too... where Kang clear the mess with her style. And I do think the girl who tried to do abortion will do some help for her. Well that girl won't be part of Kang story if she doesn't have anything to help her right writer-nim??

about your twist... I never thought about that... but I hope LSM won't die... he can't be dead... he should rise and win. I remember one of the Samil member said how LSM reminds him of Joseon people that he sometimes feel pity about him. I think LSM is someone that I feel pity too in this drama, he seems capable of changing the world but he doesn't have power or greed to do that. He just like a glass that always half full for me. 

One of my wildest thought is... maybe... maybe Oh will turn Song table too.... he will do something that will ruin Song. Well if he can't be Song replacement in his district why bother to do his dirty things again....

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Yippeun_eonnie said:

about your twist... I never thought about that... but I hope LSM won't die... he can't be dead... he should rise and win. I remember one of the Samil member said how LSM reminds him of Joseon people that he sometimes feel pity about him. I think LSM is someone that I feel pity too in this drama, he seems capable of changing the world but he doesn't have power or greed to do that. He just like a glass that always half full for me. 

He's like the people's assemblyman.  Politician for the people. He would put them first over himself. Politicians a love to make promises  for the betterment (is that a word? hehe) of nation and it's people but once in power, greed and corruption and ambition takes over and.. gone are the promises for a better nation. LSM wants JTJ to succeed as he believes in his moral convictions. But JTJ is ambitious too.  I just hope when he gets the powerver and  get to see and do meetings as an assemblyman ..or even higher he  stays gounded with his morals and ideals.  Once a person has power.. the mindset and perception changes.

This is an absolutely fantastic drama.  It is a dose of political reality.  As the saying goes:  "Politics make strange bedfellows." and "In politics, today's enemy is tomorrow's friend." :blink:

As for the disclaimer, at the beginning credit of each episode, it is mere formality to prevent any lawsuits on the production company because every situation, incident and issues depicted in the drama is absolutely true.  I can make this statement because I have been a political junkie for decades.

Politics is always a fight between ones conscience and ones fervent desire to achieve ones agenda, for the public good.  However, the battle is on how to attain enough power and support, in order to achieve the said agenda. The dilemma is how far down does one stoop to compromise ones conscience, for the sake of power.  Also, people entering politics need to have elephant hide for skin and be as vicious as a tiger.

The writing is excellent and the acting by the ensemble cast is superb.  However, I'm sure this drama isn't many people's cup of tea.  Therefore the lack of popularity. 

I really wish that the dinner party of the sleazy rats had been full of puffer fish, sliced by the dishwasher because the certified puffer fish expert was indisposed with appendicitis.  They could all go to the designated hospital that is five hours away. :crazy::P

As for the suicide, I've expected it.  It's always the most idealistic person that is appalled at and can't handle the realities.

JTBC posted a behind-the-scene video for last week's eps and in that video it says the hearing session scene was the last scene that Jung Jin-young (LSM) shot, so I guess that (kinda) confirms that LSM's dead :cry:

I ummed and ahed about watching the most recent episodes this early but then realised that I wouldn't have time this weekend to binge watch all four episodes.

Sad to say everything I thought would happen did... and more. There is a tragic consistency to the show and the writer took it to its logical conclusion in a much more horrifying fashion than even I had anticipated. When LSM and KSY went up against A. Song, the writing was on the wall. All we could do was brace ourselves for the blowback. Politics can be very dirty and right down nasty as we're seeing things unfold. Good intentions and determination alone aren't enough. In fact the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I struggle with politicians like LSM more than TJ because I don't feel that a person like LSM should ever been in politics. I certainly am not convinced politics is the place to go to change the world. He would have been better off as a journalist, lobbyist or an educator influencing public opinion or the culture and calling government to account. Politicians seldom ever change the world or the status quo... they tend to move according to what they think the cultural currents are. They are for the most part, opportunists.They see which way the winds are blowing and jump on whatever bandwagon that takes them to where they want to go. I'm not saying that there aren't good people in politics... there are... but are limited in what they can achieve because of various kinds of restraints. Once they're in parliament, they don't just represent their constituents, they are also usually members of a party with policies and platforms. To be really effective they have to win the right to govern with majority seats. Then of course at the back of their minds is re-election because 3-4 years is not a very long time to get things done.

But I think LSM knew about the illegal campaign funds all that time that's why I imagine he told TJ not to be sorry or turn himself in.  In all likelihood he was racked with guilt. Whatever it is, he gave TJ an exit strategy of sorts. LSM always came across to me as a tragic figure... his scruffy appearance  (fascinating contrast to A. Song's visits to the barber) belied an anti-establishment conviction politician who had the courage but not the will. I don't think he lacked the savvy actually from the fact he saw through TJ's schemes. I think he wanted to do everything by the book and ironically he himself fell victim to the very rules that he desperately wanted to prove spoke truth to power.

This is why I root for guys like TJ and the Prisoner Doctor Na Yi Je. The thing is those men are idealists too. The difference is that they know they can't do things entirely by the book because the people they're dealing with have created their own game within the game with its own set of rules. To dismantle the power games within the game, one has to win it from the inside... at least that's the thinking in these dramas. To me it's like a cop going undercover without "official sanction".

I'm sorry that TJ had to sack HDK but in a way I think he did it to protect the younger man... to help him maintain his idealism and integrity. In the long run that's more important than hanging on to the intern position.

Pandora's box has been opened and it will be interesting how things continue from here on.

I am sorry that Lee Sung-Min`s life was ruined. He killed himself and his reputation was distroyed. Honest people like him usually don`t resist much in the politics but he resisted.  I remember that he was ill (I remember corectly?) I think he chose to sacryfice himself to save Tae Joon. Maybe he knew that Tae Joon could fight Song Hee-Seob better than him. He trusted Tae Joon that he did not crossed the dark side completly. He knew that Tae Joon will continue their dream.  In a way I wanted Tae Joon to confess, to start anew,  but I know his political career would have been over. Knowing how much dirt have the other politicians, I still root for him to succeed.

This week we`ll have the last two episodes from this season. I really don`t like that we have to wait until November to watch other episodes. I don`t like when dramas have more seasons.

Dear JTJ, I'm highly frustrated with you right now, and have been for the past three episodes now, with that tendency of yours to: 

1) not better hide USB keys you do,

2) hand over key evidence to the man you say you want to dethrone,

3) letting down your idealist, ingenious young intern who always thinks you're going to do the right thing with the information he unearthed.

You ask us to trust you no matter what (only to go and kneel before the devil). What am I gonna do with you? This show almost kills whatever little hope I had left in politics and in politicians, implying that the corrupted full of money and high on power will always triumph. Yet... I will not discount those like assemblywoman KSY who are still fighting the good fight. So long as at least one person in this show is doing it, I will hang on to that sliver of hope, and pray for an invigorating ending.

Rant over. :ph34r:

LSM's death is tragic but the more I think about the more I feel that there is a certain kind of inevitability to it. My feeling is that the show is saying that someone like him is at the wrong place at the wrong time. It's sad I think that there's no place in party politics for an honest operator... it's a sad indictment on how systemically corrupt that political system is and how dysfunctional SK democracy seems to be. Here we have a man who is trying to do the right thing at every turn, even turning the other cheek... rather than lauded for his work, he is destroyed for his efforts. There is no appreciation for someone like him, only scorn and opposition. He's the anomaly in a world that has been turned morally upside down. "Fair is foul and foul is fair"

It is realistic sadly that all attempts to re-steer the ship would fail barely before the handover begins.

Yeah, I hope we don't get a cliffhanger ending because... sigh... I'll be outstation when the second season starts airing.

What an episode. Every time I think I can take a breather, something happens and I  get jumpy again. That chase though. Wow, how JTJ timed that light to stop OSK and company from following him or crush on the oncoming traffic. I so hate OSK but without him, there will be no bad boy creating mayhem especially for JTJ. Those men are such gossips including the reporter. Now everyone knows the relationship of KSY and JTJ. OSW, even found out about the girl who had an abortion. I guess abortion is illegal in South Korea or maybe even most parts of Asia? KSY can be prosecuted because she was there at the hospital when the girl who took pills for abortion was rushed to the ER because she was bleeding profusely and the doctor said they needed to perform surgery to save the mother's life? Unless KSY gave consent which is illegal since she is not the guardian. If the girl was in imminent danger of dying if the procedure is not performed then the doctor had to do what was needed to save a life? I am trying to understand what KSY is being accused of or what OSK  wants to accuse KSY with. 

That ending with JTJ kneeling before Song. Song's nomination was already approved. He is the appointed Minister of Justice. JTJ now knows that there is nothing he can do from his level in the lower ranks of politics. He is not even a politician yet but an aide to the Assembly. So he made a decision that to be able to do what has to be done, he joins the club. TJ, like Daniel deliberately entered the lion's den. He will be criticized and many will disapprove but he has a goal and that matters most  TJ has made up his mind and set his heart to become an Assembly man and help to make a change, at least in his district, the district LSM used to hold. Song is deeply connected to the powerful members of the Samil Group, the den of lions. TJ's face when he was kneeling was not the face of someone who was humbled but the opposite. It is the face of man who has accepted the challenge. Everyone from Samil have already written TJ off so soon and surprise of surprises, A Jo said with respect, mind you, the "viper" has returned with more venom and I bet he was referring to no other than TJ  who has a new nickname. The "Viper". 

Will TJ give up on KSY? HW was looking wistfully at TJ and SY holding hands while leaning and looking out the window and DK was looking at HW looking at TJ. I wonder who will work with TJ to help him win his seat to the Assembly? Will TJ distance himself from SY to save her? Tomorrow come soon. 

I think TJ has a plan; I don't think he's only interested in gaining power. I've just been a bit discouraged because Song seems to always be ahead of the situation. He has a long reach, and a solid, old network/boy's club. TJ is clearly an outsider, and I think he will always be. I'm curious to see if he will succeed where Assemblyman Lee failed. He clearly wants his district to continue and win the fight, I think. The opponents just are so powerful, I can't see how he will win, unless he manages to win over the public opinion by publicly exposing Song in such a way that his "friends" abandon him, and justice is served. The question is: how rotten is the system? How deep does the corruption go? There is no getting rid of it all, for sure. That wouldn't be realistic... 

“Chief Of Staff” Cast Bids Farewell To Season 1 And Shares Hints At Season 2

by L. Kim
2cee209660cf4761bb5536a47e44539e.jpeg?s=

The first season of “Chief of Staff” is coming to an end!

With the final episodes airing this week, the cast bid their farewells to the viewers and described memorable scenes.

Lee Jung Jae showed his fondness for the drama by commenting, “Every scene of season one remains in my memory, so I can’t pick a scene. In season one, I did some light teamwork with all the actors. In season two, a darker, more powerful, and fiercer story is likely to unfold. Please look forward to the 9th and 10th episodes of the season as well.”

Shin Min Ah said, “There are so many scenes left in my memory, but the ending of the last episode was the most shocking and memorable. I think there will be many interesting and fun stories in season two. Please love and look forward to season two.”

Lee Elijah shared, “The parting shot that Representative Lee Sung Min [Jung Jin Young] and his aide Jang Tae Joon [Lee Jung Jae] drank was the most memorable scene in season one. When I was reading the script and filming the scene, I could feel a lot of mixed emotions. Season two has many more fun and touching stories to tell, and I hope you look forward to it.”

Kim Dong Jun commented, “The scene where I first appeared in the National Assembly’s office seemed like my first step into the world, so I still remember it a lot. The change of Han Do Kyung [Kim Dong Jun’s role] and Jang Tae Joon is what I look forward to the most in season two. I ask you to love me more than season one.”

Kim Kap Soo relayed his sincere feelings to the viewers, saying, “It may have been uncomfortable because of Song Hee Seob’s words and actions, but thank you for enjoying it. We’ll be back in season two with a better look, so please wait a bit.”

morehttps://www.soompi.com/article/1338287wpp/chief-of-staff-cast-bids-farewell-to-season-1-and-share-hints-at-season-2

@triplem or any other moderator, I have a question. Should I start a new thread for season 2 or I could aranged this one for the next season? It`s confusing with this new presentation of a drama.  I saw that Arthdal Cronicles has the same thread. It is kind the same situation with Aide. I am waiting for your replay. Thanks. 

Thank you @larus for the cast "Farewell To The Viewers." All their comments seem to hint to a darker and more fun Season 2 but I want to know the change in HDK as he seems to imply he will lose his naivete and will have a different outlook and regard for his hero JTJ. But most of all  I am looking forward to the "darker" side of the story in the 2nd season. 

I can't wait for tomorrow though to see how the Viper will juggle his love relationship with his political ambitions, political enemies and friends. 

5 hours ago, triplem said:

ok we will use back this thread . Thanks! At least there will be continuity for our discussions  

Thanks. I don`t know why they try a new format. Maybe they want some time to prepare for the upcoming episodes.

They start filming at the end of July.

HDK is bound to lose his naivete. This is not the first time his role model has betrayed his trust. Just like how TJ realized he must change, DK will soon realize that too.

Can't wait for that shocking ending that Shin Min-ah mentioned. Also, I'm kinda surprised Kim Kap-soo has survived this long in a drama lol.

22 minutes ago, luvabe said:

Also, I'm kinda surprised Kim Kap-soo has survived this long in a drama lol.

He is the main antagonist in this season so far and reason why TJ survives so they can fight it out to the end. 

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2019] Aide/Chief of Staff, 보좌관 - Mon & Tue @ 21:30 KST - Season 2 premieres in November

When Jang Tae Joon and Kang Sun-Young were so close to put down Song Hee-Seob, something is discovered and they are at square one again.

I hated that Tae Joon sat down on his knees in front of Song Hee Seob. He did not use the information against the current Minister of Justice but I remember his words toward Sun Young. I will trust him. He will turn dark but I know he has a plan.

I hope season 2 will end with the distruction of Song Hee-Seob, Jo Gap Young and others like them.

"The viper has return with more poison." Yeah!

Just watched ep 10. Shin Min-ah was right - the ending was way beyond my expectation. I won't spoil it for now in case some of you haven't watched it, but I'll share some thoughts about the ep:

• Jang Tae-joon, I can't believe you went that far :dissapointed: I guess he's beyond redemption now, but that's probably better for the viewers, because it can get really frustrating if he keeps straddling between good and bad.
  • Honestly DK kinda got on my nerves in this ep. TJ's actions were obviously incondonable but he had his reasons, and somehow I kinda understand them? It'll be interesting to see how DK sheds his naivete in season 2.
  • Yoon's loyalty to TJ. Wow. It's like, the more TJ becomes like Frank Underwood, the more Yoon becomes like Doug Stamper.
  • Song's smiles at TJ throughout this ep confused me. I have a feeling Song still considers TJ his protégé and so is pleased when TJ comes back to him, and proud when TJ gets his job done by the end of the ep.
  • Between now and November, should I rewatch all 10 eps?

Jung Tae Jun went down on his knees as a soldier and a challenger whom Song could not refuse. He was on his knees but his body language was saying differently. His body erect, his hands in fists and his head held high. Song can't deny him because Song knows he was the best soldier on his team. In a way, Song also acknowledged and respected TJ's determination, certitude and single mindedness. He sees himself in TJ. Song after all came from a butcher family and was even mocked by his detractors for his  humble beginnings and yet fought his way to the highest office of the Justice Department with the help of TJ. He can appreciate the breadth of intelligence, information and influence TJ has that could have stopped Song from being appointed as the Minister of Justice and destroy CEO Lee and his boss Chairman Sung. That is the two-fisted machismo and audaciousness that Song understands. That is why even when everyone of the members of the Samil Club were against the nomination of TJ, Song still supported him. He knew that TJ will come up with a stunt like the goons sacking of the marketplace to impress the members of the Samil Club to admit and support his candidacy. Song hates men like Lee Sung Min, dislikes bootlickers like OSW only useful for no-brainer tasks but understands and appreciate men like TJ. There is a big difference though, Song knows how intelligent TJ is, more than himself. The last scene though where Ko Seok Man, Aide to KSY was in an "accident?" because he had the information from Hong Kong that could  destroy the members of the Samil Group was distressing especially for SY. JTJ's speech said it all. He is a shoo in for the nomination but will he win the election? 

My heart is breaking for KSY. I cried when she said she felt like she fell right before the marathon finish line. Not only did she lose the fight against Song but she lost a friend and a colleague to suicide and witnessing her Chief of Staff in an "accident" being carried by emergency staff to an ambulance and listening to TJ's acceptance speech of his nomination to be Assembly candidate to represent Seonjin City. It is so sad. I think though that TJ  as the one who gave Seok Man about the speech of Ah.  I cheered for and with her when she won the round of debate with Ah and Jo who were trying to oust her from the party by making her look like the Assembly Woman who supported abortion which was against the law. It was under review to be repealed not as a crime but  a choice but that was still  not passed. So when she brought out the campaign speech of Ah where he supported abortion to save the life of the mother and got Ah to recant his attack against her, I cheered. Jo said, that they were supposed to use that TV program to oust SY from the party and the Assembly but instead they managed to raise her approval ratings and made her a more formidable opponent. Her face of distress though when she saw her Chief Aide in a stretcher was so sad. I am guessing she knows that TJ had something to do with it?

OSW is more like a goon servant than Chief of Staff and his big disadvantage because he is unaware that is how he is perceived as. 

Hye Won seems to be the main go to guy for TJ and as everyone predicted will be the Chief Aide for TJ when he gets elected to the Assembly. Whom will DK work for? Probably SY? It will be a long wait for Season 2.

I love this show!!!

Archived