[Drama 2019] Aide/Chief of Staff Season 1& 2, 보좌관

larus

9 minutes ago, ilmare said:

Sorry to cut ur post. So confirm will have season 2?

Yes. From what I know it was already announced. The informations are on the first page. Season 2 will follow drama My County in November.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was worried at the beginning of ep 5, then when TJ told Kang to keep trusting him, I had some hope, but was still kinda worried because she still looked at him with hate. Then when their plan was revealed, I literally clapped lol. I'm so happy to know our couple still love and support each other, tho I gotta be honest, I was kinda bumped that it was TJ not Kang who came up with the plan. I kinda want our assemblywoman to solve problems on her own w/o TJ's help for once.

I knew their relationship was bound to be found out (they need to be more secretive when they go on a date ;)), but ugh, that Oh guy is such a thorn. TJ really needs to get rid of him ASAP!

Does anyone know if the second season will have the same cast? Or will it be like True Detective, with a different cast each season? If it'll be the same cast then I hope the writers have some kind of cliffhanger in store for us at the end of this season.

OSW is such a creep, he really stalked them from the movie house to their apartment. 

Oh boy it seems it going to be the mentor against the mentee. I can imagine Do Kyung being so disappointed with his hero TJ. He got his first dose of reality in politics. He ran over to give them the stick of the CCTV recording and everything that the employee told him that the supervisor re-called the 911 and told them not to bother and sent the ambulance away and then took the injured employee to a designated hospital? Can they really do that? Companies have designated hospitals? I first learned about this in Doctor Prisoner. Companies own or are connected to hospitals and the medical records can be doctored and other medical malpractice are practiced?

It seems everyone got dirt if not blood on their hands and somehow, someone knows about it but they all agree to scratch each other's back so they can get on with their business, nevermind that there is blood in the streets. TJ thinks that he can compromise to get where he wants to be, but people like CEO Lee, Song and Jo will always want something back. TJ's mentor Lee Sung Min told him not to be dazzled by what CEO Lee is offering because in the end TJ will owe them. There will be a steep price to pay. TJ thinks that CEO Lee will cooperate with the police, make repairs and change working conditions in his factories. Assembly Man Lee Sung Min reminded him that that Song will use that to get his nomination approved at the hearing and when Song becomes Minister of Justice, CEO Lee's investigation by the police will not happen and the reforms for the justice department submitted by the former Minister will also be debunked by Song. KSY who has gone through the wringer between Song and Jo warned him that his mentor LSW is right. That Song and Jo will not help him without squeezing him dry. She just went through that herself, Jo asking for her head and making her resign her position as the speaker for her party and now Jo turns around to ask for TJ's head instead because TJ knows too many dirty things about him. KSY tells him to stop and says that LSM is right and that they can work with LSM and do their job properly. But TJ thinks he can't give up as he is too far gone to back down. SY tells him that she will stop him. Everyone thought that LSM will not be invited or assigned to be a member of the hearing committee because the committee for the hearing was already cooked. Surprise, surprise....me thinks the Assembly Woman who took over SY as speaker for her party assigned LSM. Yes!!! Song for once is nervous. Jo is happy too. Seems the other Lee will not vie for Speaker of the House? KSY cares very much for TJ that she is willing to go against him if only to stop him from traveling the wrong path. 

I wonder whom HW and DK will support? DK likes LSM but he also has a crush on HW who told him that even if the CCTV USB will be submitted to the authorities that it won't help or will not change anything. I guess she is speaking from experience. She must have written an expose long ago about dangerous work condition and look what happened. But with LSM and supporters of the Assembly at his side will there be a change?

Can't wait till next week. What is going to happen between TJ and SW? Will TJ realize that the CEO, Jo or Song won't help him? What about OWS? The preview shows Song wanting to destroy "him", will that be LSM or TJ? 

11 hours ago, luvabe said:

I was kinda bumped that it was TJ not Kang who came up with the plan. I kinda want our assemblywoman to solve problems on her own w/o TJ's help for once.

If you think about it, she did do some of the heavy lifting herself and she was willing to sacrifice her position as the chair for her party and willing to give the mayor the credit for the bill that she sponsored  because she knows that the bill will help families. 

I am wondering what the role of the grandma who lost her grandson will be in changing minds of the characters especially TJ? 

The ending. Wow. That was an unexpected twist... and apparent change in direction. 

Are his friends now working "against" him "to save him"? Whatever that means. According to them TJ crossed the line with the industrial incident case. Apparently he put the interests of his political masters above those of the victim and the bereaved. He didn't do enough. So says the idealistic LSM. I can't say with any certainty either way if TJ was on a slippery slope but I would argue that if it were that easy to fix systemic issues of corruption... if getting elected and using the law alone was enough, I don't imagine that JTJ the cop would have bothered throwing his hat into the political ring to throw in his lot with the weasley, corrupt A. Song.

I suppose it's bad enough he has to fob off the likes of O Won Shik and this new interloper Mun wanting to join the Daehan party and now he has his allies trying to re-steer the ship in a direction that doesn't compromise his ethics or vision. 

Will it work? It's difficult to say. If A. Jo did not approach KSY in a deal to be rid of JTJ... would they have had his support to put LSM on the hearing committee. Unlikely... I would have thought. 

My own view is that all of this smacks of naivete. I suspect that LSM is exposing himself to even greater attacks and putting not only himself but all his supporters in jeopardy. I'm not sure if the writer supports his idealism but it can lead to a kind of rigidity. I imagine both LSM and KSY think they are protecting TJ's integrity by getting to A. Song directly and taking him out of the equation so that things can be done fairly and properly. Again, they could be biting off more than they can chew. They still have to be in bed with one devil and he could come back to collect.

All of this makes for good drama. Still I'm a little annoyed at their interference even if I understand where they're coming from. They're worried that TJ may be losing sight of the big picture but perhaps it is they who are losing sight of the bigger picture.

I feel that with all that he's done to make the best of one bad situation out of another, I feel that TJ has earned the right to be trusted to achieve the mission he has set for himself and do the right thing by everyone.

By the way, I'm really enjoying LJJ's veiled poker face moments... For instance, he sure looked like he wanted to pummel OWS to a pulp when the latter was blackmailing and yet his mastery over emotions remained steady. The man sure knows how to prioritize. ;) 

Hye Won told Do Kyung "rather than focus on the powerless we should build a system that can ensure there will be no more victims as such", a great goal. How and what kind of a system will they build with Song, Jo, A Lee, Ng and all the politicians who invested with swinish CEO Lee to restructure a community? Maybe she is saying that she supports TJ wholeheartedly thinking that if he gets his A badge that he can build a system that will ensure safety but would TJ not have made some powerful enemies or are in bed with the pigs by then? The ousted justice minister, would he still be active politically? Am sure he knows things and he does not like Song and surely not TJ either? I think that SY is very aware that she is being used to get LSM to disrupt and stop the nomination hearing of Song to become the Justice Minister.

CEO Lee covering this incident by lying about a defective equipment, not putting the injured in an ambulance therefore denying the injured a timely help, putting him in a company car to a designated hospital one hour away where he was unable to be saved because he probably was already dead and then he was blamed by his supervisor to have used the equipment improperly. On top of that suits from CEO Lee's company brought papers for the grandmother to sign without explaining what it is that she was signing. All that buried but they can't change a thing by exposing the truth however they can build a system to change their world? They all believe they have a point and they do.  As for SY, she is not naive politically. She once worked as a lawyer and she also has worked and supported TJ and saved him a time or two. LSM is an independent party but sometimes they are the parties that could disrupt the course of elections or nominations. It happened in many political battles. 

Would Do Kyung be the unexpected weapon of LSM?  Am only guessing here but I have a feeling that he will volunteer his services to be a witness at the hearing. HW told him to temper his emotions and think that the best thing he can do for his community is help build systems that can change their world. If he volunteers, can LSM protect him? I think if LSM uses DK, it will sway public opinion which could influence a change in policy. Pens are sometimes mightier than the sword. If Lee is able to sway public opinion his way, he could win points. I will be worried for his and DK's safety ....just guessing .... 

10 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

My own view is that all of this smacks of naivete. I suspect that LSM is exposing himself to even greater attacks and putting not only himself but all his supporters in jeopardy. I'm not sure if the writer supports his idealism but it can lead to a kind of rigidity. I imagine both LSM and KSY think they are protecting TJ's integrity by getting to A. Song directly and taking him out of the equation so that things can be done fairly and properly. Again, they could be biting off more than they can chew. They still have to be in bed with one devil and he could come back to collect.

All of this makes for good drama. Still I'm a little annoyed at their interference even if I understand where they're coming from. They're worried that TJ may be losing sight of the big picture but perhaps it is they who are losing sight of the bigger picture.

I feel that with all that he's done to make the best of one bad situation out of another, I feel that TJ has earned the right to be trusted to achieve the mission he has set for himself and do the right thing by everyone.

I was actually happy with what LSM and KSY did. Protecting or "saving" TJ may be a factor but it's also about doing their jobs. Perhaps TJ has earned the right to be trusted, but IMO they are an elected assemblyman and assemblywoman and as such should be working to achieve their missions and not just trusting that TJ will do right by everyone after he has achieved his. Song becoming Minister of Justice is not a good thing, and they are fighting against it. Yes, they got in bed with one devil to get rid of another but that's politics, and they are playing the game,  I'm rather glad they are finally seemingly playing their game and not just TJ's. 

2 hours ago, qynn said:

I was actually happy with what LSM and KSY did. Protecting or "saving" TJ may be a factor but it's also about doing their jobs. Perhaps TJ has earned the right to be trusted, but IMO they are an elected assemblyman and assemblywoman and as such should be working to achieve their missions and not just trusting that TJ will do right by everyone after he has achieved his. Song becoming Minister of Justice is not a good thing, and they are fighting against it. Yes, they got in bed with one devil to get rid of another but that's politics, and they are playing the game,  I'm rather glad they are finally seemingly playing their game and not just TJ's. 

Sure. It's fair enough that they should as elected officials act according to their conscience. I don't necessarily have a problem with that. If they want to hold a press conference or an inquiry into the industrial incident, they should if there's warrant and support for all of that. And yes, it is interesting... as far as the drama is concerned that the other "good guys" act and not rely on TJ to deal with the corrupt singlehandedly. As I've said... good twist in the narrative.

Politically... sadly... I doubt the wisdom of their actions. I could be wrong of course. The show might be wanting to pull a David and Goliath. However, the rationale (at least in large part) behind what they're doing seems to be that they're wanting to stop JTJ... to save him from himself or his political masters. Certainly LSM wants him to play by Marquess of Queensbury rules so that TJ doesn't have to be embroiled in political games. To achieve this, they're targeting A. Song directly and his cherished goal of becoming Minister of Justice.

Is that wise? TJ isn't the only person who works for A. Song. Even if they somehow manage to shove TJ to the sidelines, there's the ever obliging OWS... and he doesn't care about anyone except himself. He's not interested in protecting anyone's rights.

My other problem with LSM and KSY entering the fray openly in the way that they have is that they will come under serious personal attack except by some other miracle that is prevented. As we've seen, there is already a history of retaliatory tactics by A. Song and A. Jo that's very ugly. 

To me TJ is always trying to find the middle ground... that's what I've always thought politics is largely about. One can't always get exactly what they want at the exact time they want it... even the CEO had to be bullied into making a compromise. He didn't completely get away with murder either.

It's good to have convictions and hold to them strongly but it's important in politics to work with all kinds of people at various times.

The other problem too is that we have the "good guys" acting as disparate entities rather uniting under a single banner to deal with the big picture. Having good leadership and working in concert with common goals is crucial. Perhaps this is a lesson that the good guys need to learn from all of this.

There are good people in politics but even they know the limits of what can be achieved within the framework of diversity of thought and also timing is an important issue. Maybe I'm too cynical about politics and politicians and a media-driven public that I think someone like LSM can hold sway without some willingness to negotiate. ;)

On 6/29/2019 at 8:36 PM, philosophie said:

I hope lee becomes the justice minister! Wow this show keeps me at the edge of my seat haha can next week come soon enough?!

Agree .....hopefully he learns to protect himself when Song will retaliate or will do something to him before the hearing. Maybe if Song will not be approved for the Justice Ministry, that the President will nominate someone else. LSM is independent party but if he is popular to the public, it will be an advantage for the President to nominate him. The President will not have to pander to the two strong parties and he will up his approval to the general public. Just my 2 cents. 

Did anyone watch the first ep of Designated Survivor? Kim Kap-soo played the killed president there. Tho I'd already known about his appearance in the ep, I couldn't help laughing when he first appeared lol. I was like: Assemblyman what are you doing there?? :D

Gong Hyo Jin Sends Support For Shin Min Ah’s New Drama

by S. Park

Gong Hyo Jin cheered on her friend Shin Min Ah!

On July 1, Shin Min Ah posted photos of a coffee truck and smiled while holding up a drink. She added, “Thank you, unnie!” using the term women use to address older sisters or female friends.

The banner next to the truck reads, “I’m cheering for drama ‘Chief of Staff’ and actress Shin Min Ah. From Gong Hyo Jin.” On top of the truck, it says, “Please take good care of our Congresswoman Kang Sun Young. From the Chief of Staff of the first row in the living room for Congresswoman Kang Sun Young.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1335930wpp/gong-hyo-jin-sends-support-for-shin-min-ahs-new-drama

I found this drama yesterday and binge watched the episodes.

It was that good!

I agree with LSM, at this rate, TJ did crossed the line. I hated it when he said ‘you wanted him to kneel down and apologised and he did’. Like brush, seriously. Do you think LSM gonna buy it? Lol.

I looovee how KSY didn’t move back down against both Jo and Song. But used them both against each other instead. Both of them are trash but I found Jo is smart while Song is a dumb, he’s nothing without TJ. Plus that creepy OWS, hate him so much. Ever since he played a psychopath in other drama, I hated him so damn much. Lol.

Yep this drama is good.  This my current fav. I finished watching episode 5-6. I didn't want it to end.  Exciting ending!I wanted more.  KSY is one smart assembley woman fighting both the goliaths of politics! siding with the  people's assmlyman  A. Lee. She knows how to manoeuver both  A. Jo and A.Song.  of course teaming with ambitious TJ. But A. Lee wants JTJ to fight to achieve by all means his ambtion but not withtramplingon ordinary people's path.

On 6/30/2019 at 9:27 PM, zenya22 said:

Would Do Kyung be the unexpected weapon of LSM?  Am only guessing here but I have a feeling that he will volunteer his services to be a witness at the hearing. HW told him to temper his emotions and think that the best thing he can do for his community is help build systems that can change their world. If he volunteers, can LSM protect him? I think if LSM uses DK, it will sway public opinion which could influence a change in policy. Pens are sometimes mightier than the sword. If Lee is able to sway public opinion his way, he could win points. I will be worried for his and DK's safety ....just guessing ..

Yup. I have this feeling that he will also be  the secret weapon. For committee hearings testfying against big industrial companies and the treatment of workers.  But I also get this feeling that his ideals and how he looks up to TJ is going to be shattered  once TJ makes a move and whatevet is necessarry to achieve this ambiton. Like I said in politics there's only permanent interest. you're friend could be your enemt one day and then they'll be your ally when it suits their interest and helps their situation.

Loving Shin Min Ah in this drama. Her acting and I like her in this type of characters.Good to see her back in drama land. 

July 3, 2019

Political dramas hit TV screens as elections draw closer

By Kim Boram

SEOUL, July 3 (Yonhap) -- As the nation is gearing up for next year's general elections, TV networks are moving swiftly to fill their programs with political dramas to catch the eyes of viewers.

KBS' "My Fellow Citizens!" broached the subject in April, exactly a year before the 2020 parliamentary elections.

The comedy drama revolves around a con man, played by Choi Si-won of boy band Super Junior, who runs for a parliamentary seat after unexpected accidents.

It failed to record high viewership ratings but established significant presence by putting politics at the center of a TV drama.

Arriving next was JTBC's "Chief of Staff," starring Lee Jung-jae and Shin Min-ah.

Premiering on June 14, the series has been praised as "well-made political drama" for its realistic and charming characters. Star actor Lee plays a lawmaker's brilliant and capable assistant who tries to become a parliamentary member himself.

Different from past political dramas paying attention to political heavyweights and kingpins, it focuses a spotlight on the thousands of aides and assistants of lawmakers who really move politics behind the scenes.

This photo provided by JTBC shows the main promotional image of "Chief of Staff." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

This photo provided by JTBC shows the main promotional image of "Chief of Staff." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Cable channel tvN launched "Designated Survivor: 60 Days," a remake of the popular American series "Designated Survivor," this week.

Starring Ji Jin-hee, the drama is about a scholar-turned-minister who takes the role of president after an unknown terrorist attack on the National Assembly killed the president and most high-ranking government officials at the same time.

The Korean edition of the U.S. series is expected to attract viewers' attention as the country's interim leader has to strike a delicate balancing act amidst highly tense geopolitical issues like North Korean provocations.

It got off to a solid start with viewership ratings of 3.4 percent and 4.2 percent for the first and second episodes, respectively.

This image provided by tvN shows the main poster of "Designated Survivor: 60 Days." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

This image provided by tvN shows the main poster of "Designated Survivor: 60 Days." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

In the latter half of this year, tvN is preparing another political series titled "The Great Show," featuring a former lawmaker, played by Song Seung-heon, who tries to enter the National Assembly again.

Critics say a growing number of people are interested in politics as the election draws closer and amid the recent dynamics of regional politics surrounding North Korea and the United States.

"With the general elections less than a year away, TV channels seem to think that political dramas can bring in higher viewership ratings," Yun Seok-jin from Chungnam National University said.

But he doubted whether such political dramas can find success in a country whose politics in real life feel more like a drama, saying viewers may be tired of watching political debates and quarrels in news programs and dramas as well.

"So, it is uncertain whether these shows will make positive outcome as they want," he added.

brk@yna.co.kr

What a twister. 

I wonder if the young gun DK will come to the rescue. I know he said that he went straight to TJ and gave him the CCTV USB that recorded the accident of the factory worker. I thought he was still too straightforward to look into the envelope that OSW told him to pick up from the messenger, but then he opened the envelope. It makes me wonder if he did not make a copy of the USB before running over and handing it to JTJ. I am thinking that he will play a big role in helping the Assembly to deny Song his Ministry. Speaking of killing the messenger. DK did nothing wrong. He is the intern who was sent to an errand by OSW and he got canned by JTJ because he opened the envelope or because he went to pick it up not knowing what it was? But then HW talked to him about working at the assembly even if it was not in Song's office. Am betting he is going to work with LSM who witnessed him fighting for the rights of the grandmother with the suits and quoting them the law. It probably reminded LSM of TJ when they were younger. Song is such a gangster and so is CEO Lee  and Jo. CEO lee said of TJ that he found out TJ is an ambitious man and thinks that is TJ's achilles heel. He needs CEO to support him and he thinks he has one more step go before he becomes Assemblyman. TJ has the USB to threaten CEO Lee but Lee thinks he has got the upper hand since TJ will not reveal the existence of a USB because he wants CEO's Lee's support to fulfill his ambition. I am glad that this happened because I want to see what TJ will do against Song and Jo. 

Oh Tae-joonie you're in big trouble :cry: Seems like he and USBs don't get along. Every time he has one, he gets into trouble lol.

Poor DK got fired for having done something he didn't know was wrong. I thought TJ was a little hard on DK with that.

Loved LSM & KSY in this ep. I think next ep they're gonna try to help TJ.

Archived