[Drama 2019] Aide/Chief of Staff Season 1& 2, 보좌관

larus

11 minutes ago, triplem said:

Oh goody @40somethingahjumma, you’re watching this. It took me a while to understand what’s going on . Politics is not a genre I watch often but this one just pulled me in. The main selling point  is the writer from Life on Mars. And I also like SMA.  I only remember seeing Lee Jung Jae in my very first K movie - Il Mare , and recently in both box office hits - Along with the Gods 1& 2. But do you recall - he had a guest role in Life on Mars? I think it was the scene where he was holding them hostage in some house . 

I am trying to wrap my head around the relationships . So is Kang, Lee Seo Min , rival assemblyman Jo  is from the same party as TJ’s boss  ( the Daehan party )?  However I suppose there are two ( perhaps even more)  camps - Jo who is Kang’s sponsor and TJ’s boss , Song . Song is the current floor speaker for the party but Jo is also eyeing the role (I hope I got this right - I need to rewatch! ). Jo is suspicious of Kang helping TJ , and is now sidelining her.  Kang is now cutting a deal with TJ’s boss ( smart  move . ) .

Then there’s Lee SM - idealistic assemblyman who is keen to do things right  . Being TJ’s mentor & good friend , I believe they both share the same ideals / goals but TJ is fine with using some underhanded ways as the ends justifies the means . But Lee is more straight laced ...hmm i hope I am getting the right impressions.  :D I was quite confused at first but as the episodes progressed, it became clearer . 

If you had extra time you can look up to US series House Of Cards... I guess the base story is similar. About the chief of staff doing everything to gain power. In the series the lead and his wife will become the US president... But their way up to that chair is so nasty and dirty... 

This is the first korean political drama that amaze me to the top. I cant stop mentioning how great the casts in this drama... All the characters filled with perfect person to portray them... 

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am here for Lee Jung Jae but the episode really attracted me. I thought I was watching a movie until I realized it was a series. The leads have great chemistry and the story is fast faced and love the mindgames between the parties. Off to see 2nd episode. 

8 hours ago, triplem said:

Oh goody @40somethingahjumma, you’re watching this. It took me a while to understand what’s going on . Politics is not a genre I watch often but this one just pulled me in. The main selling point  is the writer from Life on Mars. And I also like SMA.  I only remember seeing Lee Jung Jae in my very first K movie - Il Mare , and recently in both box office hits - Along with the Gods 1& 2. But do you recall - he had a guest role in Life on Mars? I think it was the scene where he was holding them hostage in some house . 

I am trying to wrap my head around the relationships . So is Kang, Lee Seo Min , rival assemblyman Jo  is from the same party as TJ’s boss  ( the Daehan party )?  However I suppose there are two ( perhaps even more)  camps - Jo who is Kang’s sponsor and TJ’s boss , Song . Song is the current floor speaker for the party but Jo is also eyeing the role (I hope I got this right - I need to rewatch! ). Jo is suspicious of Kang helping TJ , and is now sidelining her.  Kang is now cutting a deal with TJ’s boss ( smart  move . ) .

Then there’s Lee SM - idealistic assemblyman who is keen to do things right  . Being TJ’s mentor & good friend , I believe they both share the same ideals / goals but TJ is fine with using some underhanded ways as the ends justifies the means . But Lee is more straight laced ...hmm i hope I am getting the right impressions.  :D I was quite confused at first but as the episodes progressed, it became clearer . 

Was Lee Jung Jae one of the hostage takers in Life on Mars? I remember the slimeball chief of the woodworking section in Prison Playbook but not the others.

Lee Seong Min is an independent from what I can gather. He doesn't seem to be affiliated with any party. It seems that Jang Tae Ju campaigned with him in the early days but switched sides later. Usually it's hard for independents to get a seat but somehow... can't remember the details... he managed to get through. He is much more straight-laced. He certainly got into politics for the reasons we hope most of our politicians get in. To do some good for the populace. I think he and JTJ are more than just friends. I suspect that LSM is a mentor figure... a former teacher/professor perhaps.

Yes, Assemblyman Song and Assemblyman Jo are from the same party but of different factions. Factional politics is quite common. Here in Oz, it's the same. There's usually a more conservative faction and then a more radical faction of various iterations within the same party. I'm not sure how the SK version works. (I imagine it has more to do with connections and power than ideology) But the individual that can get the most support from the both factions in Oz gets to be the prime minister if the party dominates the lower house (House of Representatives). It's probably not that dissimilar to Malaysian politics.

Jang Tae Ju is from the same hometown as Lee Seong Min. JTJ was a police officer and was witness to the injuries of the striking workers of the Bugang Electronics Co. when the police/"swat team?" were ordered too break up the strike and he was trying to tell them to stop. Hence his determination to have the unfair business practices of Bugang Corp investigated and exposed. I wonder who ordered the sign in LSM's office to loosen and fall on a passerby to get LSM in trouble. Can't wait to see what JTJ will do to help LSM. Was his boss involved?

Seems Hye Won is secretly crushing on JTJ? I like her. She is smart, enthusiastic and considerate of her coworkers and pretty but so is Sun Young and the newbie is crushing on Hye Won? Got the latte for her?

On 6/16/2019 at 3:00 PM, triplem said:

Nah,the one who appered in that episode is the actor who played in Prison Playbook Joo Seok Tae...This is Lee Jung Jae's drama return in like 10 years,he is more in movies so this is why this drama is even more special and gaining intrest aside from the content:D

17 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Jang Tae Ju is from the same hometown as Lee Seong Min. JTJ was a police officer and was witness to the injuries of the striking workers of the Bugang Electronics Co. when the police/"swat team?" were ordered too break up the strike and he was trying to tell them to stop. Hence his determination to have the unfair business practices of Bugang Corp investigated and exposed. I wonder who ordered the sign in LSM's office to loosen and fall on a passerby to get LSM in trouble. Can't wait to see what JTJ will do to help LSM. Was his boss involved?

Seems Hye Won is secretly crushing on JTJ? I like her. She is smart, enthusiastic and considerate of her coworkers and pretty but so is Sun Young and the newbie is crushing on Hye Won? Got the latte for her?

My suspicion goes to the new face in mr. Song office... the chief who order latte... 

When mr. Song said he'll handle assembly Lee.... why do I feel this is why the new aide show up. I guess mr. Song like to do dirty things to achieve his goals unlike Tae Joon who play smart tactics to win. 

1 hour ago, serraannisa said:

My suspicion goes to the new face in mr. Song office... the chief who order latte... 

When mr. Song said he'll handle assembly Lee.... why do I feel this is why the new aide show up. I guess mr. Song like to do dirty things to achieve his goals unlike Tae Joon who play smart tactics to win. 

There is a new chief, did they show him already or are we going to see him in the next episode? Is he the one in the preview? Actor Jung Woong In (he always plays bad character and good at it) who plays Oh Won Sik? Yeah, Song is dirty... and I also had a creepy feeling about him when he said he will handle Lee. I think Song realizes that Lee would be a stiff competition. 

On 6/16/2019 at 8:15 PM, Yippeun_eonnie said:

This is the first korean political drama that amaze me to the top. I cant stop mentioning how great the casts in this drama... All the characters filled with perfect person to portray them... 

Agreed . I like the cast , they have a lot of veterans in this drama . 

On 6/18/2019 at 3:14 AM, Miky88 said:

Nah,the one who appered in that episode is the actor who played in Prison Playbook Joo Seok Tae...This is Lee Jung Jae's drama return in like 10 years,he is more in movies so this is why this drama is even more special and gaining intrest aside from the content:D

I see . Thanks ...JST was also in Children of the Lesser God right? . Gosh my apologies for getting them all mixed up. 

@serraannisa @zenya22the latte is for the new chief . This can’t be good for  Tae Joon as I’m sure there will be a power struggle  within that small office ! ( lol! That actor really does play villain type characters a lot , with the exception of Prison Playbook :lol:).  But it is an indication that Song does not fully trust him cause he knows TJ is too close to & has too much for respect for Lee. That falling sign board is likely Song’s idea 

BTS

Lee Jung Jae’s comeback to dramaland is creating a stir 

Spoiler

Hi to all chingudeuls here. I really, really like this drama. The characters,  the twists and the acting are all great. LJJ, SMA and all the supporting casts are amazing. 

The first two episodes just made me realized again how politics is so dirty and how those politicians (not all)  are being imbecile. 

There is one other thing. Someone created trouble for LSM. However when he and JTJ were sharing a drink and a meal someone called LSM and he answered the phone as if he was talking to his daughter but the caller's name on the phone was "Human Rights Committee Director". Hmmmm, I think that LSM has something up his sleeves eh? Can't wait to see what that is all about as well as how JTJ will help LSM. I wonder if JTJ will move to be Aide somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, zenya22 said:

There is one other thing. Someone created trouble for LSM. However when he and JTJ were sharing a drink and a meal someone called LSM and he answered the phone as if he was talking to his daughter but the caller's name on the phone was "Human Rights Committee Director". Hmmmm, I think that LSM has something up his sleeves eh? Can't wait to see what that is all about as well as how JTJ will help LSM. I wonder if JTJ will move to be Aide somewhere else. 

He did that earlier too right ? That one he said minister of something . And he pretended it was his wife . I’m glad you brought this up.  

@zenya22 @triplem I don't think the names on LSM's phone suggests sinister overtones, but rather, are affectionate nicknames for his wife and daughter. In C-subs, his wife's moniker is 内务部长 Minister of Home Affairs which makes sense since she is literally in charge of the home, while his daughter's moniker 人权斗争委员长 Human Rights Chairman implies that she must often demand her rights in the family. It is adorable, and reflects just the importance of these two people whom he panders to :)

Just quickly dropping by to say just how much this drama has exceeded my expectations in two short episodes - with its tight momentum - nary a dull moment, keeping me at the edge of my seat with the ever-shifting goalposts and changing alliances, twists and turns. Brilliant ensemble performances and a riveting script that leaves me greedy for more. Thankfully tomorrow's Friday!

1 hour ago, liddi said:

I don't think the names on LSM's phone suggests sinister overtones, but rather, are affectionate nicknames for his wife and daughter. In C-subs, his wife's moniker is 内务部长 Minister of Home Affairs which makes sense since she is literally in charge of the home, while his daughter's moniker 人权斗争委员长 Human Rights Chairman implies that she must often demand her rights in the family. It is adorable, and reflects just the importance of these two people whom he panders to :)

@liddi thank you so much. How cute. I wasn't thinking of sinister I was actually thinking of him being recruited for the position at the Human Rights Department since his personality and mentality is fitting the position. I was so over thinking :lol: That is so adorable of LSM though

I do feel bad for Hye Won though. She went to the pharmacy to get ointment for JTJ's split lip that resulted from the slap of Assembly Rep Jo and she saw him walking out following KSY. Not that I want a 3 way love affair, there is already too much going on. I just feel bad for unrequited love. 

4 hours ago, zenya22 said:

hahaha the way he named his contact sure crack me up. the one that call him really is his daughter i guess since he named his wife as minister of what i don't remember.

I believe he just a honest assemblyman with failure to become the top assemblyman since he doesn't have the "greedy" thing in him. 

in matter of assembly Lee case... about his banner fell down and hit the citizen ... somehow I believe that Song has his hand on it thru the new chief of course. 

that will put Lee in tight spot since may of supporters of the assemblyman a.k.a the businessman will like him to be silenced or even take down because the working environment bill that he is now fight for. 

and Tae Joon will find out that Song has something dirty on it so I guess he will likely help the assembly Lee thru the back door so he can put the new chief in trouble. If the new chief is in trouble then he will come out and offer his solution to Song that will likely take Tae Joon advice and blame the new chief for his failure. in the end Tae Joon is helping both side. 

Archived