[Drama 2019] Flower Crew: Joseon Matchmaking Maneuver Agency, 꽃파당 : 조선혼담공작소

0ly40

@ck1Oz I only can tell you that... Bravo! I very much agree with you about what you comment of this serie. It’s a light saguek with certain modern aspects that we have seen directly or indirectly, without major pretensions other than entertaining and of course, if we scratch a little, there are very interesting topics that invite an analysis; but above all, it is a love story.

I am also a kdrama veteran (over 10 years... maybe I don't write a lot in the forum or any, but I enjoy reading you), so the saguek (and in general all the drama), depress me. "Life is for dramas" it is said out there. And I do not deny that it is good to see or read something like that, but waiting a week and seeing two chapters of a “tear drama”, it’s no longer my idea to enjoy. But it's just an opinion. I only advise that this series should be seen with not so critical eyes.

On the other hand, I understand very well the issue of the names (in this case the name of the brother of GD). I think is rather a bad translation or interpretation of what it’s pointing out. It is not the first time nor will it be the last, in which we observe these errors of interpretation.

Therefore, what we want? A quick but understandable translation or a detailed translation that we cannot finish reading while the characters speak? xD

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw ep11 yesterday, and yep Ma Hoon need kissing skills...hehhee... also, i was a bit surprised that he suddenly kissed GT since she hasnt completed her sentence about why she has to be a ^lady^ to rescue her brother. But i think when she said she was scared that she and her brother will burden to him later on, gets him hence the kiss... haha... 

Great that GT was rentless to find out what MH thinks of her confession ... atta go girl... :)

Since he didnt directly reject and avoids her, so there must be a chance....haha

2 hours ago, jensenver2 said:

On the other hand, I understand very well the issue of the names (in this case the name of the brother of GD). I think is rather a bad translation or interpretation of what it’s pointing out. It is not the first time nor will it be the last, in which we observe these errors of interpretation

I didn’t realize my question would cause such a stir.  It wasn’t meant to.  It was purely an academic exercise.  I am sure the subbers have their hands full (many of whom are volunteers) so errors here and there are inevitable (especially in Sageuk where the speech is vastly different from modern day lingo).  On the whole I am grateful they even take their time to do it as a service.

Moving on,

Spoiler

YoungSoo’s backstory is revealed in this ep (12), he used to be a beggar and he’s a fugitive on the run from the law.  Lord Kang threatens to reveal this knowledge unless he acts as his personal mole in the Flower Crew.  GD breaks the news of her change of heart to Soo. :tears:.  JiHwa learns of DoJoon’s ruse and coldly breaks it off with him (smashing the vase in the process) - sigh, I wish writer didn’t make her so nasty.  I am wondering if she even deserves DJ now.  :mellow:.  Episode ends with JiHwa and GD facing off and Hoon and Soo facing off.  GD still doesn’t know Soo’s real identity.

If the romance between DJ and KJH was developed I could somehow understand the lengths he goes to try to win her affections but they just met in the street and and then he's pursuing her? in love with her? I can't se what he's supposed to see in her, she's awfully nasty and cruel >:(

But Hoon and Gae Ttong give me life, they are too cute. Is just that now I fear for they safety. Evil Ji Hwa.

And Soo is becoming quite obsessed, I understand he's mad and hurting but forcing the girl to marry him is not the best way to start the marriage, no to mention he's withholding a tiny piece of information he should have told her the moment he met her again. Like geez, shouldn't your fiancee be the first person to know you are a king? 

6a19f21da7c916955d2240ddb3a9951afe54bb18Flower_Crew_-_Joseon_Marriage_Agency_OST_Part_2.jpg1*yt5AxaySePsOos-X5YgTSQ.png

I guess I stopped feeling sorry for LS/King the moment he met GD and once again didn't man up and tell her the truth about himself.  Nor did he hear her words not once but twice or understand her tears in almost begging for him to forgive her honesty in explaining that one cannot control the heart or hold back what the heart feels...

To me knowing all he knows and has seen with his own eyes and heard with his own ears wouldn't be easy to accept and yet I wonder how much of LS is left under the weight and loneliness of that crown.  For his threats and plans are becoming more selfish in believing that his feelings are the only ones that matter or the only thing he will accept seems less like LS and more like the weight and power of a King...

Power can break the body and control life or death and everything around someone but what it can't do is force the heart to surrender what it feels or change whom it loves.  For even if you break them and make them deny it with words you cannot make them feel what isn't there.  And the beauty is that no one can change or force what's safely tucked and hidden within oneself.

"You can't touch that..."

With the Kings men surrounding him MH knows and understands yet risks everything including himself and his family.  In following his heart just like his older brother in choosing the path that feels and is right no matter the price or where it might lead.  For love is always worth fighting for no matter what century your in...

:heart:

I really like your metaphor @ck1Oz to go to library and pick teen fiction. It is how this drama feels. It’s just light, sometimes too slow, no real struggles in comparison with regular sageuk. But it’s just refreshing, seeing stiff MaHoon builds affection towards GD. It’s romcom drama in sageuk costumes. For me, I like watching these young actors in sageuk costumes. In a modern drama, I usually prefer senior actors.

In here, I really like Kim min jae as Ma Hoon, because he can portray a very smart person, yet very attentive. 

I actually also like seeing Seo Ji hoon here. His sad expression and how he could hide his true intentions as King, it’s really good. But I don’t ship the King with GD. It’s just too complex, and we can see from the beginning of episode 1, when Soo asked her to marry him, she was not in love with him. She just follows what she thinks okay. 

But when she lives in MaHoon’s place, she just slowly falls in love with him. Just like a “normal” romcom, from usually barking couple and then they fall in love. 

I think that’s what keeping me watching and really waiting for the episodes. It gives your first happy feeling of watching romcom.

Ji Hwa continues to be a major ***** I'm not sure what her obsession is in obtaining the queen position when she made it pretty clear she wanted to retain her freedom:angry: Other than the mere petty reason of upstaging Soo Yeon for hurting her pride:rolleyes:

I want to feel for Soo.. really I do, but now he just comes across as a selfish fool-_- He wants badly to hold on to the past that he resorts to any means to keep it which isn't fair to anyone, especially Soo Yeon. People change & grow all the time... as Soo Yeon herself said, it's something beyond her control.

Kim Min Jae has the most charismatic voice (swoons) not to mention whenever he smiles my heart skip a beat~:wub:

Hear hear... Hoonie is still the best... so no offense, i dont understsnd why the other person is the most buzzworthy's actor recently... his screen time are not many, and his character is mostly playful until ep 12... sigh..

Glad that Ma Hoon is literally risking his life to fight for GD.... coz realistically he knows by doing that, he literally could lose his head.... and his family killed.... though the king has to consider GD's feeling after that...

Cant wait for ep13, Hoonie proposing to DG/Lady Yun! :)

I'm glad things between GD and MH got resolved pretty quickly in few episodes. I thought the issues would get dragged on and on like other drama with constant misunderstandings and jealousy.

GD is really one of a kind and has become my favorite lead character. Not only she confessed first, but when MH kept avoiding her she made sure to make him confront her right away. When MH acted like he couldn't reciprocate her feelings, she didn't dwell on negative emotions for too long. It was also very brave of her to sort things out with Soo properly though the outcome hurt both of them badly. But it was bound to happen anyway.

Seeing MH being openly affectionate towards GD after he realized his feelings makes me feel giddy! He still remains calm and collected disposition as ever but becomes more tender. He has evolved as a reserved character and admitted his true feelings. What a great male character I haven't seen in a long time.

I wonder what MH would do from now on. He won't give GD up but Soo is on a turning point to become a bitter and vengeful king. The showdown between the matchmaker and his client is approaching in the upcoming episodes! I'm worried that he might want give GD a hard time during the queen selection process. I hope Soo will learn how to let go and love GD unconditionally.

About Lady Kang, 10+ episodes in but I still couldn't see her redemption. Her father treats her badly but that doesn't give her a free pass to bully the inferiors. I can't really sympathize with this character just because her pride was hurt. She is just written as a plot device, I guess.

Lady Kang is the (d)evil in the drama... so we shouldnt dwell much on it... except see how far to the end will DJ carry on his 'love' for her.... sigh... indeed being nasty, she really cant redeem herself and ive stopped hoping for the best and just wish DJ can just knock himself out of his stupid dream with her.... 

And yes, we are glad that MH and GD iron out their feelings in less than 2 episodes and promised to be together after that..of course we will see how the King will try and separate the two....

i just dont know what is in store for us in the next episodes... testing MH's strong belief that there is love afterall in the world and GD wouldnt abandon him, as what happened in the past when his older brother helped their servants?. We saw that MH dared to defy the King's orders boldly with regards to GD, therefore, its probably GD's part to show how much she love MH in the episodes later on... perhaps?... Fingers crossed!

Yup Lady Kang is wicked. The way she stood up to her dad at first was like you go girl but then you see the vitriol and abuse for anyone who's "beneath" her. She doesn't deserve DJ.

I love who they've revealed the scars of our flower crew. Intrigued to find out more about YS's backstory. Seeing his PTSD kick in was so sad.

I'm holding faith that smithy will come good and realise she's family he has to let her go as even with power someone will always be gunning for her and most importantly she does want him, so surely he does want her to hate him by forcing the issue.

If smithy goes all possessive powder mad nutter on us then hopefully flower crew kidnaps big bro and flee to the Qing and leave them to their mad unnecessary power struggle. 

Hoon is supposedly already “married” to Lady Yun (GD) marriage ban or not :lol: ...and if Lord Yun goes along with the ruse...well...Soo can’t actually wed her again (?)...although we know that as King, he can make up the rules and take her regardless?  Unscrupulous Kings of the past would’ve done the same.  There was no other reason to show that wedding scene about Lord Yun’s sick daughter - it is likely a plot device to be used later.  I am now less sure that Soo will go “mad nutter” (thanks @tas82) on us seeing his righteous foster dad is back in the Palace by his side keeping him sane.

Hoon seems to have disowned his father by declaring that he is no longer his son.  I wonder if this is going to pave the way for his come uppance.  Lord Kang (whilst he seems less tyrannical) is still a threat to Soo.  He seems more tempered in his lust for power.  Not sure he will be content to stay put if Hoon’s father is removed/exiled. Not many eps left to tie up the loose ends.

I was willing to give JiHwa the benefit of the doubt but this last ep pretty much made her out to be so nasty I am not sure she’s worth redeeming?  Even if DJ is smitten.  

Count me in in everyone's boat of not seeing how JiHwa can redeem herself (in reasonable fashion) at this point. Episode 12 and I still don't like her. Maybe it is the writer's intention to keep JH as an antagonist all the way through the drama. My main issue with her story line and her character is much like you all, I just don't understand why and how DoJoon is so smitten with her. I thought they'd bond over their desperate need for their parents' love, or something on that line, but nope. Hence, something felt missing when it comes to JH and DJ, be it when they're together, or as an individual. Such a pity as I recently saw the actress in 'Perfume', and I liked her performance there. I've never seen DJ, but he's doing fine, performance-wise and with what he's given. His backstory, while nice that he has one, was not as deep as I thought it'd be. I can see how netizens don't really talk about his character aside from when they're talking about JH. Another pity, as he is one of only four members of the Flower Crew, the titular 'character' of the drama.

Speaking of members, there's YoungSoo aka ChilNom. His backstory is just coming to light, and seems like given proper storytelling it could be quite interesting (which I am skeptical of, since there are only 4 episodes left). At first I thought his cheery, bubbly personality is a bit over-the-top even for fusion sageuk, but as it turns out, he actually has a dark, traumatic past. They mentioned that the bounty on his head was the highest in the city (100 Yang) so I'm intrigued to learn more. I might have missed what his offence was (did he kill an aristocrat?), so someone help me if they did mention it in the recent episode. Based on the preview, it seems like he's going into the palace as Soo's eunuch (at Lord Kang's behest, I presume). I predict he is going to turn on Lord Kang within a couple of episodes in order to protect his crew. Additionally and objectively speaking, the actor was good for someone who's just debuting as an actordol (sp?). I normally detest when idols go into acting, for no valid reason *shame on me*.

The Ma family is on a downward spiral, and I expect them to completely fall by episode 15 (again with my predictions). They'd be followed quickly by the Kangs, of course. In the final episode, Lord Yun is going to return to the palace as the minister in shining hanbok, so to speak. The Queen Dowager is already turning on her uncle, for the sake of her (deluded) brother. I really can't hate the QD, even if she was meant to be one of the antagonists.

And finally; the 'core' of this drama, the triangle of MH, GD and King Soo. I'm using quotes there because personally, I feel like the drama is really supposed to be about the "Flower Crew of Joseon". I feel like it would have been way more interesting to watch the crews' adventures and antics as they try to match-make people in that historical setting. There are so many potentially ridiculous, interesting, and/or funny matchmaking adventures they could have gone on. Plus, it seems like there are only two ways comments on this drama go on about online (on other message boards/forum); the commenter would either root for MH and GD, or insult them for betraying Soo. Personally, I just don't see the Soo-and-GD connection that warrants his current developments, or the intensity at which some viewers are rooting for him and GD. And I think it was intentional, but Soo's always-on-the-brink-of-crying eyes are working mightily against the writer. He/She stands no chance, surely.

I also think that the writer should have given all the airtime for Soo on a more believable development towards settling in his "ruler of Joseon" position, and bonding with his closest servants (eunuch and maid). Bound to his post as the King (no time nor chance to go out strolling in the city, ALONE at that), he thought he'd forgotten his first love, only to see her again as one of the candidates to be his bride. GD on the other hand was working hard to change her fate with the help of the Flower Crew (she thought being the Queen is the answer). But damnit, she fell in love with the matchmaker! And double damnit!! The King is her first love! dun dun dun.

tl;dr: I feel like the writer took a wrong turn while writing the story for this drama so there's a mismatch between what the title implies, and what we're actually shown. I may be proven wrong by the time episode 16 airs, but this is how I personally feel now. I'm also aware the drama we're watching is the story that the writer wished to tell, so I'll respect that and just enjoy it as it is.

On 10/24/2019 at 7:58 PM, wizuwizu said:

Speaking of members, there's YoungSoo aka ChilNom. His backstory is just coming to light, and seems like given proper storytelling it could be quite interesting (which I am skeptical of, since there are only 4 episodes left). At first I thought his cheery, bubbly personality is a bit over-the-top even for fusion sageuk, but as it turns out, he actually has a dark, traumatic past. They mentioned that the bounty on his head was the highest in the city (100 Yang) so I'm intrigued to learn more. I might have missed what his offence was (did he kill an aristocrat?), so someone help me if they did mention it in the recent episode. Based on the preview, it seems like he's going into the palace as Soo's eunuch (at Lord Kang's behest, I presume). I predict he is going to turn on Lord Kang within a couple of episodes in order to protect his crew. Additionally and objectively speaking, the actor was good for someone who's just debuting as an actordol (sp?). I normally detest when idols go into acting, for no valid reason *shame on me*.

The Ma family is on a downward spiral, and I expect them to completely fall by episode 15 (again with my predictions). They'd be followed quickly by the Kangs, of course. In the final episode, Lord Yun is going to return to the palace as the minister in shining hanbok, so to speak. The Queen Dowager is already turning on her uncle, for the sake of her (deluded) brother. I really can't hate the QD, even if she was meant to be one of the antagonists.

And finally; the 'core' of this drama, the triangle of MH, GD and King Soo. I'm using quotes there because personally, I feel like the drama is really supposed to be about the "Flower Crew of Joseon". I feel like it would have been way more interesting to watch the crews' adventures and antics as they try to match-make people in that historical setting. There are so many potentially ridiculous, interesting, and/or funny matchmaking adventures they could have gone on. Plus, it seems like there are only two ways comments on this drama go on about online (on other message boards/forum); the commenter would either root for MH and GD, or insult them for betraying Soo. Personally, I just don't see the Soo-and-GD connection that warrants his current developments, or the intensity at which some viewers are rooting for him and GD. And I think it was intentional, but Soo's always-on-the-brink-of-crying eyes are working mightily against the writer. He/She stands no chance, surely.

I also think that the writer should have given all the airtime for Soo on a more believable development towards settling in his "ruler of Joseon" position, and bonding with his closest servants (eunuch and maid). Bound to his post as the King (no time nor chance to go out strolling in the city, ALONE at that), he thought he'd forgotten his first love, only to see her again as one of the candidates to be his bride. GD on the other hand was working hard to change her fate with the help of the Flower Crew (she thought being the Queen is the answer). But damnit, she fell in love with the matchmaker! And double damnit!! The King is her first love! dun dun dun.

tl;dr: I feel like the writer took a wrong turn while writing the story for this drama so there's a mismatch between what the title implies, and what we're actually shown. I may be proven wrong by the time episode 16 airs, but this is how I personally feel now. I'm also aware the drama we're watching is the story that the writer wished to tell, so I'll respect that and just enjoy it as it is.

No, they didn't mention what happened that warrant a reward of 100yang for Young Soo.  In Episode 12, we only knew that he was a wanted person by the authority. The only thing was Ma Hoon telling Young Soo that he is giving Gaeddong 2nd chance just like how he gave Young Soo in the past a few episodes ago when Young Soo was not happy that Ma Hoon was more concerned about her than him.  Nothing was mentioned before Episode 12. 

Regarding the idol actor who was acting as Young Soo, he is Park Ji Hoon. i will put in the spoiler about him. 

Spoiler

Actually he was a child actor. Same age as Kim Yoo Jung. He doesn't have the kind of roles like Kim Yoo Jung had when she was young, his were mostly acting as cameo as someone's child in the village, etc. He also participated in musicals during elementary to middle school. It's some times in Middle school that he saw BTS MV and decided to be an idol. So he started learning dancing (like popping) & singing.  He was formally from SM and Fantagio but his current agency is Maroo Entertainment. 2 years ago (March 2017), he participated in Produce 101 Season 2 and has never fall below 3rd Rank. In the final, he was 2nd in ranking and was 1 of the 11 to form the temporary group named Wanna One. They disbanded in Dec 2018 (according to the contract with Mnet) and had their final concert in January 2019.  After that, he started preparing for his solo album which was released on 26th March 2019. But he didn't promote on music shows because he wanted to prepare for his role in Flower Crew.  He also chose a supporting role in his 1st drama when he could have chosen a drama that offers him 1st lead but he didn't. He knows he has to take one step at a time. That's what i admire about him. He may be 20 years old only (international age) but he has a matured mindset. i was a k-drama fan for 14-15 years and never support an idol group but this boy changed me.  I'm still supporting him as a soloist as well as an actor now.  The more you know about him, the more you will like him. 

Btw, Min Jae commented during presscon that Park Ji Hoon is the moodmaker at filming sites.  you can look for the Flower Crew making videos on youtube or naver tv.

i read earlier about a comment on why he was rank 1st on the hot topic for actor for weeks.

I'm not sure if it is ok to discuss it here, so i will put it in the spoiler as well. 

Spoiler

If anything it is the fans and general public that are discussing about his role/character, Wannables (who support 11 of them) are not many. Most of them do not have enough time for all 11 of them.  Because he was from an idol group, viewers are more curious or waiting to see if he is 1 of those that can't act. But he has proven in Episode 12.  I know some of you wants to see Min Jae and Seung Yeon name on the list but if you look at the korean articles on the drama, not many people commented on it.  For Park Ji Hoon, it's a mixture of fans and drama viewers.  In fact, even if it is his fans who are hyping and posting comments on those articles, it is helping Flower Crew to gain attention, so i do not know why there are people not happy with him on the hot topic list. 

Though he is only in a supporting role, he and his agency have been promoting the drama on twitter.  Ji Hoon will post a pic or gif and remind fans every Monday & Tuesday (without fail) to watch the drama.  His agency will post every week on his costumes in the drama on naver blog.  Fans will hashtag FlowerCrew, his name every time they tweet.  There are more things that his fans are doing to promote this drama that i can't list down all. 

If anyone of you wants Min Jae, Seung Yeon, Seo Ji Hoon or Woo Seok's name on that list, you can help by commenting & click the 'hearts' on naver tv ( https://tv.naver.com/jtbc.flowercrewjoseonmarriageagency ) when JTBC uploads their  clips.  Or you can comment on naver articles (https://m.entertain.naver.com/search?searchType=issue&searchQuery=꽃파당 ) - i have given this page because you can refresh the page for latest article about Flower Crew.  Remember to mention their names in your comments. *you need to login using facebook or line in order to comments or click 'likes' . Same goes for tv naver.  

And regarding the drama, yes, i agreed that there is something missing..  I'm not sure if some of you feels the same way.  But i think scenes of Gaeddong falling for Ma Hoon is a bit lacking. We can see Ma Hoon starting to feel something for Gaeddong in the earlier episodes but for me, Gaeddong starting to feel something for Ma Hoon is too sudden.. there were not enough scenes to build Gaeddong feeling for Ma Hoon.  

I have no problem with Lee Soo and i believe he really likes Gaeddong. Seo Ji Hoon is using his eyes to act if you notice it.  On twitter, i can see comments on viewers feeling sad for lee soo at the lantern festival scene.  

Anyone of you have seen the making videos? Because their age are quite close, they really had a lot of fun during rest time. 

Sorry for the long post... the last time i posted on soompi forum was like 2 years ago..:sweatingbullets:

Hey @chocolatepie, thank you for the insight. Oh yes, I did watch bits of WannaOne's season of Produce101 (the only season I tried watching, but they - the show that is - are just too time consuming for me), just not every episode. Plus, I'm not really a fan of K-Pop so I didn't really follow or listen to their songs. BUT I'm positively surprised to see him going into acting, doing well and improving as the drama goes on.

11 hours ago, chocolatepie said:

I have no problem with Lee Soo and i believe he really likes Gaeddong. Seo Ji Hoon is using his eyes to act if you notice it.  On twitter, i can see comments on viewers feeling sad for lee soo at the lantern festival scene.

Regarding this, my problem (emphasis on MY) with the character is that, it seems like the sad, puppy eyes has been his default expression throughout the drama. There are some scenes here and there where Soo shows determination and guts, but otherwise he is always "sad, puppy eyes". I will admit in the past few episodes anytime his character comes on-screen I'd go, "Oh here we go again..." It's not the actor's fault though, don't get me wrong. I'm pinning it on the writer and director. BUT, then again there might not be anything wrong direction-wise and writing-wise. I'm just being a difficult viewer, just saying that is how his character makes me feel.

I am, however, still interested to see how his character will end up like. A just ruler? A dictator? A paranoid one? Despite the cheery beginning of this drama, I really don't know what to expect as the writer seems to not be tied to a singular premise, and is willing to go a bit dark with her writing. On that note, was this story adapted from a web novel/comic? If it was, can someone enlighten me on its accuracy and/or faithfulness to the original material?

5 hours ago, wizuwizu said:

On that note, was this story adapted from a web novel/comic? If it was, can someone enlighten me on its accuracy and/or faithfulness to the original material?

I don’t think so?  If it were, there would be many posts about the original webtoon (much like Extraordinary You).  There’s usually a following for webtoons or comics and inevitably fans will want to watch the dramatised version and compare so there would be posts about them.  I googled the writer and nothing came up.  I think this is her inaugural piece of writing.  And I am told the PD is also female.  So it’s a nice change.

But yes there are flaws in the plot and it’s a bit uneven in spots.  Still I really like the dialogue - it’s clever and witty.  The writer is has shown promise in that.  It’s a good first effort.  Also aesthetically it’s been a visual feast for the eyes.

EDIT stills for queen selection process

Cr https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/468/0000583417

0000583417_001_20191028154219199.jpg?typ

On 10/28/2019 at 2:06 PM, nrllee said:

I don’t think so?  If it were, there would be many posts about the original webtoon (much like Extraordinary You).  There’s usually a following for webtoons or comics and inevitably fans will want to watch the dramatised version and compare so there would be posts about them.  I googled the writer and nothing came up.  I think this is her inaugural piece of writing.  And I am told the PD is also female.  So it’s a nice change.

But yes there are flaws in the plot and it’s a bit uneven in spots.  Still I really like the dialogue - it’s clever and witty.  The writer is has shown promise in that.  It’s a good first effort.  Also aesthetically it’s been a visual feast for the eyes.

EDIT stills for queen selection process

Cr https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/468/0000583417

i think the writer won 2nd place in a script-writing competition if i'm not wrong. (Edit: not script-writing but novel competition. So when it was converted to a drama script, it goes a bit out of the flow). I think it has got to do with the flow of the drama... i dunno but i'm with all of you that there is something missing... 

On 10/28/2019 at 12:40 PM, wizuwizu said:

Hey @chocolatepie, thank you for the insight. Oh yes, I did watch bits of WannaOne's season of Produce101 (the only season I tried watching, but they - the show that is - are just too time consuming for me), just not every episode. Plus, I'm not really a fan of K-Pop so I didn't really follow or listen to their songs. BUT I'm positively surprised to see him going into acting, doing well and improving as the drama goes on.

Regarding this, my problem (emphasis on MY) with the character is that, it seems like the sad, puppy eyes has been his default expression throughout the drama. There are some scenes here and there where Soo shows determination and guts, but otherwise he is always "sad, puppy eyes". I will admit in the past few episodes anytime his character comes on-screen I'd go, "Oh here we go again..." It's not the actor's fault though, don't get me wrong. I'm pinning it on the writer and director. BUT, then again there might not be anything wrong direction-wise and writing-wise. I'm just being a difficult viewer, just saying that is how his character makes me feel.

I am, however, still interested to see how his character will end up like. A just ruler? A dictator? A paranoid one? Despite the cheery beginning of this drama, I really don't know what to expect as the writer seems to not be tied to a singular premise, and is willing to go a bit dark with her writing. On that note, was this story adapted from a web novel/comic? If it was, can someone enlighten me on its accuracy and/or faithfulness to the original material?

Now that u mentioned, oh yes, he has this sad expression most of the time.. but i think there is nothing he can do, hahaha.... he is worried and miss Gaeddong.. 

I just watched episode 13 raw. I loved scenes between the king and Gae Ttong. So much chemistry & feeling. At the end, when Ma Hoon screams No and it feels so empty and even looks he gives lacks sincerity from my pov.

Second lead syndrome is so intense for me here as Seo Ji Hoon's acting never disappoint.  I remember the drama I need romance 2. Where Yeol Mae had to choose between old love Seok Hyun even though she is in love with new love Ji Hoon. I rooted for Ji hoon so much...

Here is opposite case for me as i want Gae Ttong to have empathy for her old husband to be& beloved brother& loving family as she calls. I know it wont be like that ever. Still hoping for better ending for the king.  

'

Archived