Quantcast
Lmangla

women in dramaland

imageproxy (8).jpg

Lee Hye Young in Lawyess Lawyer.

"I OWN YOU" says the judge Cha Moon Seok and the Godmother of Giseong. Her father owned the town but she wants the whole country and beyond. She is a character you love to hate but can't help but admire for her chutzpah. She was ruthless yet she covered that with the power of the law as the judge and executioner and the demeanor of Mother Theresa. She had men of power bowing to her and the masses adoring her. 

And ohhhhhh,  how could I forget the heroine of my favorite drama Secret Love Affair? 

Image result for drama secret love affair images

Image result for drama secret love affair images

Oh Hye Won played by Kim Hee Ae. She had the guts to face the condemnation of society, and chose to love a young upcoming piano virtuoso.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

@Lmangla, Thanks a lot for tagging me. It's a topic I'd love to rant on.

When I first saw this topic the one I wanted to talk about first and most is "Lee Seo Young" from the drama My Daugher Seo Young, amazingly played by Lee Bo Young.

MV5BNDljMzg3OWEtMTg3ZC00YTY5LWI5OWMtOWY1

She was a fighter..A girl who has a strong sense of self respect, so strorng that almost no one can touch that. 

Her happy family starts to lose their happiness when her father started involving himself in questionable investment project afte rhe lost his job during IMF crisis. Her father used to be her hero but he lost himself after the crisis. Seo Young and her mother had earn money to live by . Seo Young had a twin brother, Lee Sangu. Both of them were brilliant. As she was a resposible girl and sacrificed a lot for her family. She lost it when her mother suddenly died due to a late surgery and found out that her father gained more debt in that time. She felt the frustration with her father so bad that she started to avoid him after paying for that debt.

In a time like this she ended up meeting another strong headed perosn, Kang Ujae. Elder brother of her tution student. As she was struggling with money she ended up living in Kang's palce for increment as her student was doing better under her care. Initially Ujae and Seo young had some issues and disagreement but Ujae couldn't help but be attached with Seo young. Her strong persona caught him real hard. He wanted to make her smile.

Things became complicated when she wanted to hide existance of her father to Kang Family before even considering a relationship with Ujae. 

Seo Young tried to ignore all Ujae's affection becuase she knew how much theres a differences of status between them and he wouldn't understand her. But things happens in life. She ended up loving him. When situation demanded So Young to marry Ujae, she didn't want to lose him.

She built new relationship, her in laws started opening up to her but she wasn't completely happy. In the back of her mind she kept feeling guilty herself for hiding such a big part of life and kept resenting her father.

But she came around long after things around her goes twisted because of her big lie.

She never really wanted to feel small in front of anyone. Despite what happened in her family she never wnated anyone to disrespect her father. He wronged her but why should he feel little in front of other people?- that was her thought all along. She did wrong, she knew it very well, so she took a step back, wanted to deal with it alone. She had her vulnerable moments but never really lost her fighting spirit.

Lee Bo Young said in Happy Togather that most people may not understand So Young becasue they never went through similer struggle. But I want to say I understand her. I love Lee Seo Young.  I'm glad someone like Kang Ujae was there for her. I'm glad he tried to understand Seo Young. I'm glad he gave her the space she needed. And thanks to her brother Sangu too, who knew her noona all along and understood her too. 

It's sad that she didn't have few friends in her life..It's most probably because she didn't want to rely on others. She found one friend later though. I'd like to belelive later when she found peace in her life, she made some more friends too.

An example of one of those moment where she blown people away with her strong resolution..And I think men who are going to marry strong women needed to face moments similar to these to konw who they're dealing with.

Spoiler

t0ckw3T.png

yYzg6Rv.png

sPIUhOM.png

• Like 6

On 3/7/2019 at 12:46 AM, Lmangla said:

tagging friends

Hello friend, @Lmangla Thanks for your tag. :) 

Very interesting. Too many beautiful women - yes, every.single.one.of.them. - from dramaland have inspired, shocked and moved me. Too many floating in my mind atm, lol. I shall collect my mind and pick a couple or more. I will be back. :) Btw, why are there so many from K-dramas? Can we have more from C's or HK's or TW's or J's, please? 

It's International Women's Day (妇女节) today. Happy WD to every one of you beautiful ladies/women out there. :wub: 

international-womens-day.jpg

CR: G-search

Incidentally, like it or not, it falls on 3.8. (三八).

Spoiler

I wonder if any deeper, cultural thought was given when such a date was chosen as THE day of celebration for women all over the world. On the one hand, it's an encouragement, an exaltation. But, on the other hand, it's a slap in the face, as if to say, 'wake up from your castle in the air!' :P:rolleyes:

I'm quite sure that anyone, someone, of Asian descent (or is well-read) would have thought about the meaning of  3.8. (三八) and what it denotes? In Mandarin Chinese, it literally means 'stupid', 'foolish'; while derogatorily and informally, it also means 'gossipy', 'nosy', 'deranged', 'undignified' and such other disparaging equivalence. 

If one were to dig further into its origin, one would know such a celebratory day for women didn't begin on 3.8., nor was it always celebrated on 3.8. Somehow, along the way, such a date was chosen and 'cast in stone' when the U.N. began its celebration on 3.8. (Src: https://womenwatch.unwomen.org/international-womens-day-history)

However, to be fair, and in the context of China, it could also have been derived from yonder days when she first began to allow Hongkongers/foreigners into her land for trading/commerce purposes. At that time, only days such as the 8th, the 18th, and the 28th were the days allocated for such entry purposes. Hence, to the mainlanders, when they see foreigners on those days, they would refer to them as 3.8. (i.e. referring to folks who enter on those three days that end with the number 8).  If I were a fly on the wall over there in that era, it would not surprise me to overhear the reasoning behind such terminology to be both delightful (i.e. welcoming of new trading and interaction) and also dismissive (i.e. unwelcomed invasion of foreigners). If I were a fly on the wall.

Perhaps, nothing should ever be regarded superficially? Perhaps, there's always a deeper meaning, an expanded relation, to everything? We know too well that there are two sides to everything, the likes of a head or a tail of a medallion. Yet, I can't help but wonder, perhaps, it just happened to be a date that was selected on a whim.:rolleyes: (Seriously, out of 365 days of probabilities... Enough said. :vicx::wink:)

Whatever it may be, it's always good to have a celebration, a day of inspiration, recognition and encouragement such as this for sisterhoods of the world. *group hug*

group-hug-girls-5.png

CR: G-search

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 3

another girl that i came to admire :) Song YiRen :) i knew her after watching her in Ever Night however she shine for me....at first i was skeptical of the drama itself however after seeing her i'm suck into it that i had come to admire her and im looking forward to all her drama too :) 

005YYBWJly1fzzfkmloy8j318g0xadmr_zpsng6r

At first i was like she was too young to be the lead and i thought she look awkward in it too....till i start picking up the series and seeing her for real.....

im probably the opposite for others...when one series or someone received hates just for playing the role i tends to fall for her more :D hahaha am i nut? :D  i think @UnniSarah @lynne22 u guys like her too right? :D 

one thing that make me fall for her role as SangSang in Ever Night was probably i kept seeing her stuffing her face in the series :D and i was thinking how the hell could she stuff her face but still remain so skinny...honestly i want that metabolism myself!!! :D 

6c9f96b9ly1fx8oqxxt7wg20pc0hm7wl_zpsfnq9

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Happy International Woman's day...  eventho its a day late.. but here's my cheers for everyone :wub::wub::wub:

Thanks for tagging me @Lmangla @kokodus @angelangie 

I have to agree with

- Lmangla's Mishil, because she is an amazing antagonist! 

- Kokodus's Byun Hye Young, because She is an amazing woman to lookup to!

- Angelangie's Sang Sang, because it is very rare right now in drama's to present a role like Sang Sang.

She is a special woman... Sang Sang for me, gave meaning for the idioms "Behind a great man, there's a great woman". 

My contributions on this thread is Song Mi-jin a supporting character from On The Way To The Airport (2016)

airport01-00143.jpg

OTWTTA is a scandalous drama about 2 married individuals who, because of different personal circumstances, fall for each other. By the time they meet, they already have settled down for the wrong people. The drama is about true and fated love, but in its core it talks about putting yourself, your needs first and choosing your own happiness over everything and everyone else.

My personal favorite from OTWTTA is Song Mi Jin, played by Choi Yeo Jin, I love her character and the friendship she had with the female lead, she was strong and intelligent yet also flawed. In the end, she cares more for her friendship with the female lead than her past affections with FL's current husband. 

• Like 8

Kinda late again, before the poll is already closed:joy: still wanna write some in my newbie knowings here that I see haven't mentioned yet..

Young sin - Mother (2018)

mother.jpg 

Beside the heroine (Soo jin like mentioned by Dhakra's before), she is also that ultimate image of being a mother is a choice, no matter what the genes. She is that sincere. She makes Soo jin have that braveness to choose to be a mother too.

Ji Eun tak - Goblin (2017)

goblin14-00875.jpg

Despite all the bitter fate, she still makes the most of her life and holding on. After all, she is so pure. A pure human that can be an angel anytime.

Lee Ji an - My Mister (2018)

myahjusshi.jpg

Her responsibility is what I love first from her. Then her character that is being open up to the kindness of the hero and how it's changed her to see herself positively, with all the darks she is not giving up!

already mentioned: Eun Bong hee - Suspicious Partner (2018)

Suspicious-Partner11-12-00127.jpg

• Like 7

On 3/7/2019 at 2:46 PM, Lmangla said:

mi jung from five children

she is a divorcee with 3 kids when she meets our lead sang tae. instead of getting scared by a MRI scan, she hilariously falls asleep. when sang tae is shocked, she responds that there is no one to comfort her if she is afraid and so she might as well not be. while she struggles with letting him in after having been single for so long, she recognizes her mistake and learns to voice out her frustrations and fears. when placed in the unique position of basically having two mother-in-laws, she embraces the challenge. she sets healthy boundaries of what she can and cannot accept and welcomes the relatives of his first wife as she recognizes his kids love their grandparents. the two leads develop a joint team style to all the challenges they face in blending their family. while she has a no-nonsense approach, she was hilariously cheerful and feisty in a fun way! absolute delight to watch sang tae and mi jung fall in love and blend their families.

On 3/7/2019 at 10:29 PM, Dhakra said:

Lee Bo-Young as Soo Jin from the drama "Mother".

Her transformation from an almost hermit kind of woman, who enjoyed her freedom and usual, non-exciting life to a full time mom, who becomes a criminal,  lives through so much terror, where not only the cops are her enemies, but instead the whole world, constantly living in hiding, lying to everyone, even her own family and pretend to be someone, makes her an excellent candidate for this contest. 

She does the right thing, her actions were all reasonable and the right thing, you cheer for her all the time. The way she becomes a caring, loving mother over night, having only one thought to protect her "new" daughter, is so unbelievably heartwarming.

Thanks for the tag @Lmangla Been quite busy last week that I have only had time to catch up on soompi threads this weekend.

The two above are also the women I admired from kdramas. Especially having just finished watching Five Children only very recently, the character Ahn Mi Jung still stands out fresh in my memory, and she is definitely the first person who came into my mind. I really admire her strong character. No wonder Sang Tae fell in love with her. I love this husband and wife pairing, and thought Sang Tae is really the dream husband and father. (oops, we're supposed to talk about women ya... will save this for another occasion :P)

Besides LBY's character in Mother, I also love her character in God's Gift 14D. I guess being a mother of one daughter made it easy for me to relate to these two characters of hers.

I shall just add one more woman to my list then, that will be Go Ae Rin (Jung In Sun) from Terius Behind Me. I just love how she keeps surprising everyone around her with her unexpected abilities despite being an ordinary single mother.

Terius_Behind_Me-p01.JPG

• Like 6

On 3/7/2019 at 9:29 AM, Dhakra said:

@sushilicious @Lmangla Thanks for tagging. 

Well there are a lot of woman I want to mention here, but if it's about the female role that had the most impact, I have to come back to someone I already mentioned a few times in various contests.

Lee Bo-Young as Soo Jin from the drama "Mother".

Her transformation from an almost hermit kind of woman, who enjoyed her freedom and usual, non-exciting life to a full time mom, who becomes a criminal,  lives through so much terror, where not only the cops are her enemies, but instead the whole world, constantly living in hiding, lying to everyone, even her own family and pretend to be someone, makes her an excellent candidate for this contest. 

She does the right thing, her actions were all reasonable and the right thing, you cheer for her all the time. The way she becomes a caring, loving mother over night, having only one thought to protect her "new" daughter, is so unbelievably heartwarming.

Sigh, the more I talk about this drama, the more I realize it's probably my fav crime drama of all time. 

I'm late, but wanted to add mine. 

@Dhakra, Soo Jin is a woman I greatly admire too. This woman stood up for what was right even if it meant she would go to jail. She also demonstrated to the world that "mother" isn't necessary the person who gave birth to you, but it's the person who loves, cherishes, and protect you; willing to give up their life in order to protect you.

There are two other women that are also sited with Soo Jin, Dong Yi and MingLan. 

fbaef38d4bf921029a049c339ac07fcf5f5543fev2_hq.jpg

If there is still anyone on this thread who have not watched Mother, Dong Yi, and The Story of Minglan, you are missing out on some of the  best written, logically written, and very smart women with strong characters.

• Like 4
  • Love 1