[Drama 2019] The Great Show, 위대한 쇼

lsbsg

@jongski  

I think we have a similar view. I was in for the everyday family stuff.. Them slowly bonding. And the fun/cringe how he genuinely cares about them but then tries to sell it to the public. That's already more than enough to handle. But then we have all those external factors coming in that are just distracting and take a lot of the episodes. We have the plot with the blogger mom, we have the dad coming, we have all the merchant marketplace stuff. I just dont care about any of it. There are so little character moments at this point. It's plot plot plot. And not a very good one. 

Don't get me wrong. I am not opposed a nuanced or thrilling political drama but this isnt it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 12....wow, did that feel rushed or contrived for anyone else? Minimal emphasis on the kids, maximum on the political shenanigans. It's a good thing I like this show a lot, or I would have dropped it! 

However, we do have ample background on the elevator accident, how all that ties in with the political issues--and a solid foundation of the level of corruption WDH and his team are up against. My fear now is that the baddies will target the children or pregnant DJ. After everything she has been thru, I'd hate to see her lose the baby due to some dastardly deed by JH's father KKH. 

I do enjoy seeing JW now employed by SH's parents at the chicken restaurant. At least he gets to see a goofy but functional relationship between her parents. 

Like him or not, Han Tak is a perfect grouchy, disaffected teenage boy. He's got all the right mannerisms to make viewers scream in frustration. What a promising young actor. If he wasn't doing such a good job, there would not be such strong feelings toward him. 

He isnt as young as you would think. He is actually the same age as Lee Sun-Bin^^

The casting is a bit all over the place.

For the teenage boy it doesnt really matter because it still works. Lee Sun-Bin taking on more mature roles works as well. Similar to let's say Kim So-hyun. Song Seung-Heon playing an a bit younger role works as well.  

But you cast this 18 year age gap and we are supposed to believe that the 2 leads went to college at the same time. That is just a bit far fetched. I am normally not a fan of this oh actor x is y years old and therefore... I look at the story and characters first. I just couldnt help myself in this case. Such an odd casting decision.

Unpopular opinion: I actually really dislike JH's character. He seems like this total nice guy who wants to help. But for some reason he comes off like a self righteous spoiled brat. He has no idea what it ia like to struggle. I agree with WDH said. Everything he has gotten is because of his father. DH lost opportunities to be something other that politics because of him. He had to fail on purpose so JH could be top at school or else his family lose their only means of survival. He didn't earn it. Scholarship are given to top students right? If DH was going get those, he could have been very successful in any field he chose, instead he had to come up with a new life goal. JH just annoys me with his whole personality and trying to give the person who's life was ruined because of him "advise" and wanting to "play fair". What does he know about fair or what the people at the marketplace face just to live. 

On 10/3/2019 at 5:42 AM, shamrockmom said:

Episode 12....wow, did that feel rushed or contrived for anyone else? Minimal emphasis on the kids, maximum on the political shenanigans. It's a good thing I like this show a lot, or I would have dropped it! 

@shamrockmom same here. I feel you. Even ep 10 we can see the political direction of the story and less with the kids.   Writer should focus on the  main gist of this dram which is th the 'fake family'. The title The Great Show is all for the 'fake' portrayal of DH as a father to 4 kids. . I don't want focus on love rivalry as major plot arct. It's not eveb love story as it is a family story with political implications of a candidate lying to voters to get empathy and sympathy. Plus the biggest probably non secret... who is DJ father.

I have free time so I'm just about the watch 11 and 12 episodes.

On 10/3/2019 at 6:22 AM, Fabbo said:

He isnt as young as you would think. He is actually the same age as Lee Sun-Bin^^

The casting is a bit all over the place.

For the teenage boy it doesnt really matter because it still works. Lee Sun-Bin taking on more mature roles works as well.

Oh wow.. didn't know. When I check Lee Sun Bin is only 24. Korean age 25. Sheee's young! I rwally thought she's like Nana's age (28) or Shin Hye Sun (30 ) even Won Jin Ah (28)  

Her leading men here And Song Seung-Heon is 42! Lim Ju Wan is 37!  I'm more  surprise. LSB is young.  But since this ain't love story I didn't bother with the ages 

On 10/3/2019 at 6:22 AM, Fabbo said:

But you cast this 18 year age gap and we are supposed to believe that the 2 leads went to college at the same time. That is just a bit far fetched. I am normally not a fan of this oh actor x is y years old and therefore... I look at the story and characters first. I just couldnt help myself in this case. Such an odd casting decision.

I know right. Odd casting. Now that you mentioned it. I wasn't even thinking of their age gap because I didn't think of this as romance type drama. IKR... thanks for pointing that one. yeah the characters they are like college friends/lovers but they have huge age gap. Not that I'm bothered just.. yup odd.

59 minutes ago, lilybeth baah said:

Unpopular opinion: I actually really dislike JH's character. He seems like this total nice guy who wants to help. But for some reason he comes off like a self righteous spoiled brat. He has no idea what it ia like to struggle

Well he is nice character for me. If you saw episode 1 He even went on national TV to defend him instead of the father. And when DH got the top spot  JH looked gloomy. Plus I also think e also did not know that back in high school DH went to his father's office and begged the father not to close the store of his mother.  The catalyst for DH was that incident. This was shown in ep  during the flashback. He wanted to show KKH that using power, tramplie their small business is abuse of power and authority and will have his revenge.

JH knows his father's political career comes first before family, that his father doesn't pretty much are about his mother.  Hence he didn't want to enter politics and run. He was insisting on this.  Even told his father, SH and DH.  And he isn't spoiled. He works for a law firm.  But he likes SH.. The father's insistence for hin to run and SH excitedly telling him about DH. He even move to SH neighborhood. It's all for SH and not for DH though e's threatened more of SH love for DH...

To quote my post review after ep 7

On 9/18/2019 at 1:07 AM, jongski said:

And then we go to JW.  I like him. He already told  DH he will not run for elections. DH wanted to let him know he wants to take Kang out of the Assembly. . DH said there are two types of politicians, those who do for sense of duity and for power. He said he's doing it for sense of duty ( pfft! and power too). He said JW is not interested in sense of duty and power to which JW countered it's not that he doesn't have intered intersted n sense of duty [ or power] but he knows what it does to a family. JW is not bad guy. I want it to stay that way. Don't make him out like he has to out do DH to win over SH.

And then I said....on ep 8 review

On 9/23/2019 at 3:01 AM, jongski said:

Out of all the character it's JW that I like. I hope the character is not going to be tainted with jealousy and anger resorting to dirty tactics. These are. He's going to be DH rival because as the father keeps pushing him to run for the positionwith the aim to be elected and go tot he Blue House. From experience, he knows what it's like as a politician's son. Knows what his  father has done.

But anyway we have character that we like.. for me. I don't find JW annoying. I hope he doesn't do anthything annoying and  use dirty tactic just to impress SH and beat DH because him running is not because of of his father.

@lilybeth baah

Oh i agree. Are there people who like him though? I dont think it's an unpopular opinion^^

All this he choses the same disctrict and moves into the house next to him is super weird. If it was just about politics for him like he claims he would act differently.

Episode 14.

Oh that slap! SH found out about contract between  Da Jung and Dae Han. She nows already it was a farce.  The man she likes and has a crush and supports the candidacy kept everything a secret. So what to do to remedy the effect of the lies. As to the real father....whaaaat the twist?! So Da Jung's biological dad is a criminal. A rapist. Da Jung is product of tha t. And Da jung doesn't know about this. Imagine how she would feel knowing she was So why did the mother say he was an assemlyman in the first place?! So it's not KKH but rather criminal.

By the way not fan of SSH but when one thinks of him first drama you'll think of is always Autumn in my Heart.

Belated Happy Birthday Wie Dae Han.. I mean Seong Seung Hoon. October 5. Looking good and dapper.

credit to naver ssh

EFtd34xUYAA2cfE.jpg

And little Song Yi  is favorite. I hope to see this child actress ( don't know her  name)  more in other dramas.

EF9YF1RXoAE-EiI.jpg

Cuteness overload. Wi Dae Han Song Yi Tae Poong... hehe calling them by their character names.

credit naver ssh

EFczU9rVAAAyKhV.jpg

On 10/9/2019 at 12:11 PM, jongski said:

Episode 14.

Oh that slap! SH found out about contract between  Da Jung and Dae Han. She nows already it was a farce.  The man she likes and has a crush and supports the candidacy kept everything a secret. So what to do to remedy the effect of the lies. As to the real father....whaaaat the twist?! So Da Jung's biological dad is a criminal. A rapist. Da Jung is product of tha t. And Da jung doesn't know about this. Imagine how she would feel knowing she was So why did the mother say he was an assemlyman in the first place?! So it's not KKH but rather criminal.

By the way not fan of SSH but when one thinks of him first drama you'll think of is always Autumn in my Heart.

Belated Happy Birthday Wie Dae Han.. I mean Seong Seung Hoon. October 5. Looking good and dapper.

I'm gonna take the contrarian viewpoint here. The twins bio-dad is stating that DJ's mom was raped, and he was looking for the rapist...but what evidence do we have that he's telling the truth? He has lied over and over, and he's been bought off by KKH, so he may be spouting this rapist story as a cover to create drama/friction now that DJ is about to have the baby. WDH will be distracted with yet another fire on the home front, and lose his focus in the political arena--thus paving the way for KKH to win the assembly seat. 

I think DJ's mom may have been raped by the assemblyman back in the day, but this show has so doggone many twists as you noted, it may be pointless to speculate. 

As to how DJ would feel if she knew her father was a rapist....I think she would be proud that her mother chose life for her instead of the alternative. Knowing that her mother chose to have her and raise her was a primary reason why DJ decided to have JW's baby. 

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019] The Great Show, 위대한 쇼

What is your overall conclusion now that the drama is finished?

I am still catching up. Just finished ep 14 now. It has become quite a pain and drag to watch. Even though i am already skipping a lot of scenes. 

The bullying tak stuff again and all its underlying implications are so annoying. Yeah i get that those people care more about the "national hero dad" or the bullying son and stuff like that than actual politics. But in the drama they dont come to the conclusion that that might be a problem. Instead it's again the usual bowing to the public and apologizing for stuff he didnt do. All the vlogging election stuff as well..

And oh yes the biological father appears again. How we all have been waiting for this... 

Archived