[Drama 2019] The Great Show, 위대한 쇼

lsbsg

Greetings, All...

So I'm all caught up through Episode 6 and my opinion of DJ hasn't changed.  In fact, my poor opinion now extends to her male siblings as well.  The only child that hasn't yet come across badly is the little girl.  Now, you can say that anyone does what they must to "survive" but the fact is, every human has developed his or her moral character by age 7 and, for the most part, this moral character doesn't generally change for their entire lives.  The deliberate scheming that goes on in DJ's mind as a 17-year old has been going on since age 7 and will be going on when she's 27 and 37 and 47, you get my drift...  The greed and selfishness that seems to be a problem for little brother is hopefully something he can outgrow but....  And the Rebel without a Cause older brother needs to be signed up for military service the minute he turns 18.  I admit I could be misreading the drama and perhaps these kids are so obnoxious for the purpose of the plot or they could be so obnoxious to make the WDH character look more saintly than he actually is.  That said, I have a few questions...

1.  WDH's memory of watching his father and mistress at dinner and his father doting over the other teenaged boy... was his father a polygamist or remarried.  I don't remember whether he actually divorced WDH's mother.  So, does this mean WDH has a brother somewhere?

2.  From the last episode its pretty clear the writer is pointing at Kang as DJ's biological father and either DJ's mother didn't want DJ to know her father was an old, married man or DJ made up in her own mind that WDH is her father since he's young, ambitious, smart and good looking... given  a choice, who wouldn't want WDH as a father?

3.  That comment Kang made to his son about being able to do worse than leak the story of the pregnancy for politics, is that an allusion to him being behind WDH's mother's "accident" either because he was concerned about the election or because she wanted him to acknowledge DJ since she's approaching the age where Kang's money and influence will be useful for launching her future.

4.  I know its for the plot--to make the case that WDH is "using" the kids for the purpose of winning the election--but I don't understand why WDH doesn't reveal the fact that he is not DJ's biological father.  Now, it looks like the step-father will be making that public shortly (although if I'm right and Kang is behind the mother's death, the step-father is not long for the world and the three other kids will shortly also be orphans) but it makes WDH look even more virtuous if he takes in four orphans than that he "stepped up" and did the right thing by an illegitimate daughter he never knew.  Unless there's some cultural thing going on that I'm not getting, I don't understand why he doesn't tell DJ he's not her father so that she stops trying to manipulate him and so the entire country doesn't think he's a deadbeat dad.  

5.  I don't know if its the writer's intent but WDH comes off looking like a really good guy.  He does the right thing even if he knows he has no legal or moral obligation to do so, he hides what needs to be hidden and reveals what needs to be revealed when it needs to be revealed.  I don't understand why he allowed himself to be called a "sinner" instead of explaining why he had no relationship with his father.  I don't understand why he did the 3-step penance thing when his father didn't deserve it since they were technically strangers.  I don't understand why he didn't tell DJ they're not related, her mother lied or she's mistaken about his paternity, and bring the kids to an orphanage.  I don't understand why he hides what Kang did to him and his mother instead of explaining it in the context of why he wants to run for political office.  Its a really courageous and moral thing for him to reveal DJ's pregnancy and his role in wanting her to have an abortion even if it makes him look hypocritical based on his previous statements about the immorality of abortion--and it shows his wisdom and love for DJ that he doesn't want her to ruin her future--and, again, his wisdom in being willing to rethink his opinions and his courage in admitting he may have been wrong and loving in ultimately supporting DJ's decision to keep the child even though that means two more mouths to feed on his designated drivers' salary.  I'm not sure if this is the writer's intent or if this is just really good acting but if I'm supposed to see WDH as a politician who's putting on a "great show", what's coming across is that WDH is a great guy who has a knack for taking lemons and making lemonade.  And that does make for a great show...  Cheers.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Chickpea To answer some of your questions.

1. DH dad got divorce and remarried his mistress. DH indeed has a brother. I think the fact that dad was living on his own in a studio suggests that he got divorce a second time. Not to mention, while the stepmother showed up in the funeral, so-called brother didn't. This is all in episode 1.

2. Yep. Looks like they are going with Kang being her bio dad. But considering the fact that we have a lot of episodes to go, maybe it's not what it seems. 

3. I think with what Kang told his son, JH at that moment, it confirmed for him what WDH told him before was the truth. 

4. Good question. I still don't know why he is not telling DJ that he isn't her bio dad. I understand maybe in the beginning he wanted all four kids to move in and get rid of his image. But now with the pregnancy, I thought he would tell her " Hey, I don't care whether you keep the child or not because I'm not your bio dad. And you signed a contract, so stick with it and don't cause any issues for me". But the opposite happened, he accepted her and took responsibility. I think sometimes he forgets that he is not the father. With the stepfather back in their lives, he is bound to make a mess. And yes, information about him not being the real father will leak out soon. But knowing DH, he will lie through his teeth again and come up with a solution lol.

5. And this is what makes WDH an interesting character:D. He is putting on a big show but at the same time, he is not crossing any line and is indeed a good guy who is just doing whatever he can to get back his old job which he is good at lol. One thing I love about DH is the fact that while his dad wasn't good, at least he isn't smearing his name in public. Sometimes it's better to be silent.

@lu09 @Chickpea  At the funeral the step-mother said that the brother (Yong Soo) did not come because he is not blood related to the father. So they are only brothers by marriage not by blood. She seems to have had him from a former relationship. She also says that they had no contact with the father for 5 years before he committed suicide and she only came cause he did not have anyone else to mourn.

3 hours ago, selen4ever said:

@lu09 @Chickpea  At the funeral the step-mother said that the brother (Yong Soo) did not come because he is not blood related to the father. So they are only brothers by marriage not by blood. She seems to have had him from a former relationship. She also says that they had no contact with the father for 5 years before he committed suicide and she only came cause he did not have anyone else to mourn.

Ohh, I thought the brother was blood related to DH. But if this is the case, then why on earth would be treat his own son like that? That is not fair. Poor DH, no wonder he was pissed off and messed with his dad's car when he saw the three of them together acting like a family.

Episode 6: " Family Scandal"

This show and it's social realism. The moral message for this episode. Respect. You respect the right  to choose but then you also respect the right to choose whatever decision  is made and that goes to keeping the baby.

cr: @imjaebs

EEKSWtLXYAEjbiC.jpg

I didn't like Dae Han in this episode but  he made up for it with the end scene saying  he may be a reprobate son, that he even if he wasn't at the mom's side, he always always be there for him.  It look so genuine. I'd like to believe.  Especially after seeing that  ultra sound video sent by  Da Jung,  maybe it  touch his heart and head. But know how Dae Han is how his mind works and how he's concerned about his political image, this  sudden confession on national TV could be all for 'the great show' as the title suggest.

I understand where he's coming from. He wants Da Jun to enjoy life and freedom of teen instead of being tied up as teen mom. He is adamant about her having an abortion. Even doing guilt trip on her  how Jung Woo will lose 3 years of being a trainee. He wants her to  her to get abortion again. I dislike him for doing that guilt trip.  Going to the agency without telling Jung Woo, and short of blaming Da jung for what's may happen to Jung Woo's career.  Dae Han...shut it please!

As for Joon Ho, I want him to stay a good person as he is. I wondering, perhaps he may know of his father's infidelity? He did complain that his father was always out, was never with the family, that politics always comes first. And doesn't even care about the mother.  He's perceptive and knows how his father does slime tactics to opponents. I remember episode 1 flasback,  I'm thinkin Joon Ho doesn't know about  how Dae Han begged Kang in his office.

It's only episode 6 but I don't to  want Kang to be the real father.  The mother during the flashback said he was assemblyman.   So who else would be? But like I said, I just feel weird if I see Joon Ho as brother to Da Jung. I don't know why. But if he is, then  she'll have a protective brother.

@lu09 Same  with you for #2  for #4  Cleaning his image is part of it. He was honesy enough with the aide that  he said he'll use children to his advantage. It will somehow erase the 'reprobate son' image stuck to voters.  If he  discloses that Da Jung is not his bilogical daughter, then that wouls make her a liar.  That would make hism look like he lied to voters - which is technically what he's doing with this who big show. Lying to voters is a sin.. and it's a fact in real life. That will open up  more 'skeletons in the closet' so to speak.  More prying to his lives which will likely ruin his image.  It will give Kang more ammunition to throw at him. It also goes same way for Kang. And for #5 we'll the father's dead. He only realized how proud he of him he saw the news clippings kept by his father..

All this this big phony how that Dae Han is doing is to bounce back from his loss. So does the end justifies the means.  Achieving something even if it's morally wrong because the end result and the target is a seat in the National Assembly. This has been Dae Han's goal ever since he begged Kang in that office.

All this this big phony how that Dae Han is doing is to bounce back from his loss. So does the end justifies the means.  Achieving something even if it's morally wrong because the end result and the target is a seat in the National Assembly. This has been Dae Han's goal ever since he begged Kang in that office.

Thinking about next week's episode. Who's that man in the hopsital? The real father ( of twins)

10 hours ago, jongski said:

"A woman's decision to go through abortion should be respected. The same goes for the woman who wants to keep her child" -

Soo Hyun, The Great Show

cr: as tag

Maybe it's just me, but I saw a whole lot of coercion going on in Ep.6. It turned my stomach to see WDH as a grown man and a father figure lobby to abort DJ's baby, especially since DJ thinks WDH is her father. What the heck kind of grandfather wants to kill his own grandchild?  Yes, I know he knows he's not her father; he has no "skin in the game" or blood ties, so to speak. She doesn't know though. That's gotta hurt. He only looks at this as more expense, more hassle and possibly a final kibosh on his plans to become an assemblyman again. It's so hypocritical too....didn't he have unprotected sex as a young man? Maybe more than once or with more than one girl? Hmmm.

I believe that a woman's decision to go through an abortion is often fueled by coercion from the baby's father, other family members, friends, and even medical personnel. (source). A decision made out of coercion is not a morally valid decision. The intestinal fortitude it must have taken DJ to get up off that operating table was no joke. She's a tough cookie. 

In addition, that was pretty darn uppity of WDH to go and blow the pregnancy news up to the CEO of the agency without JW being there. Honestly, all of them (JW, DJ and WDH) should have gone together. The penalty is excessive, but one has to assume JW knew that clause was in the contract from the start. I'd really like to see the CEO publicly shamed for the 100 Million Won penalty (about $85,000 USD if my app is correct) now that everyone knows that the baby's father is one of his idol trainees and the future son-in-law of WDH. That's a lot to ask, and I don't expect it--but would love to see how that might play out. 

I nearly dropped this show, but the writer redeemed it for me at the end when WDH went live on-air and 'fessed up. WDH may go through all these hoops to put on a Great Show, but he seems to realize deep down that being honest with himself, those close to him and the public is the Greatest way. 

I like that they show that WDH is not a perfect person, but a work in progress. Yes, he does not make the greatest of decisions, nor does he approach things quite the right way, but I like that he is not 100% stuck in his ways and that he is open to being flexible and changing. I think that though out the show we will see how he grows and changes. Plus we have to give him some credit, he has never had a good male role model and his father was completely absent. Plus his parents are both dead, he has had no one show him what a good father is like in real life and no one to give him advice about the best way to handle his new parenthood. I know not everyone will agree, but I think considering the situation and his lack of experience, he is not doing so bad. Could he do better? Of course, but the only way he is going to get there is through trial and error, so I expect he is going to make a lot more bad mistakes before he gets it right. And since WDH is not an evil person and is good buried deep down, I am looking forward to seeing him succeed in becoming the best version of himself.

Just some thoughts.

@selen4ever I noticed. I wonder whats the reason.

I'm still watching this show while I wait the  premier drama I'm interested.

Episode 7: "Secret and Lies"

I finished the espiode and I find myself wary ar DH. Maybe because he's confrontational with JH? Perhaps it's due to being insincere with what he's doing. For every action, he's waiting to see reaction from voters.  ie: Did it touch the voters heart? Did he came across as someone that voters will trust and vote him to the National Assembly. I'll give him credit though for setting things straights infront the the camera and admitting trying to ask daughter DJ to get abortion and what happened with  DJ pregnancy rumors. The text that he receive prior to airing of program triggered his confession.  So he does have conscience. But I'm still wary at him for a reason I can't seem to pinpoint.

Though his popularity as  the nation's dad starting to wane,  people are more interested in his daughter's pregnancy. Still most search in ranks.  DH is on track from being a 'reprobate son' to becoming 'the nations dad' or as he sees it the  'nation's grandpa'.  His aide said The baby is his lucky charm.  Heck,  when a politician kisses a baby ( IRL this always works) carries a baby, have aphoto with a baby, voters sees a different type of candidate. One with warmth and care and it transcends to trust that they will be taken care off.

DH  said " Low birth rate is a serious issue. Having a child is an act of patriotism. People like me should be elected to the National Assembly. I'm going to have four children and a grandchild before marriage."  Then  I though this must be why I'm still wary of him  because it's all for the act.  Sincerely insincere. He's genuine in a phony kind of way. After all, the main goal of him having the children stay with him and be legal guardian is to ensure he gets elected, in however way, whatever act or show he presents himself to voters.

He had this dream there was baby on his back and crying and it startled him but I was more like  is that really baby crying cos it look more like doll. I know. I'm sorry. Tiny one.

And the scene where DJ wanted to continue her studies until semester ends. DH want her to give up school. DH doesn't like as she would be scrutinized for getting pregnant becoming teenage mom. He sounds genuine here at least.  DJ told him "she will continue. That pregnant students have right to education too." And the principal agreed. "The right to education is basic human right guaranteed by the constitution". DH thought that  principal will not allow DJ to continue as parents will oppose to pregnant student on school. But  the principal was touch by what DH confessed on TV. Assemblyman Kang doing something to make sure mothers of students  go against teen girl continuing school. The moms saying having DJ may influences other students and should be not permitted. This is another tactic that will be bad for Kang but DH can turn situation to his  advantage.

And then we go to JW.  I like him. He already told  DH he will not run for elections. DH wanted to let him know he wants to take Kang out of the Assembly. . DH said there are two types of politicians, those who do for sense of duity and for power. He said he's doing it for sense of duty ( pfft! and power too). He said JW is not interested in sense of duty and power to which JW countered it's not that he doesn't have intered in sense of duty [ or power] but he knows what it does to a family. JW is not bad guy. I want it to stay that way. Don't make him out like he has to out do DH to win over SH.

This episode also shows what life's like for an idol trainee when an agency drops them. It's not glitz and glamor. I felt sad for him when the agency owner said his other group mates are practicing and shooting for video.  3 years of being trainee and not debuting is hard to person who has to give up everything. Poor JW. He has to do manual labor to earn a living. DJ must be feeling guilty. But it's admirable what he's doing. Rather than disowning the child in DJ womb, he's taking responsibility. But I feel the strain on their relationship. Something's gotta give I suppose. 

Then the sister @lu09 yeah she's like figment of her imagination.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:34 PM, lu09 said:

@jongski I hope he stays the same:tears:

As for WDH, yep that's something we will question until the very end lol:mrgreen::joy:

I'm reading comments saying that SH sister is a ghost or a fraction of her own memory. I mean I can the signs especially when she showed up out of nowhere when SH was at work or the fact that her parents didn't ask of her. Something is really wrong here:huh:.

I didn't even noticed about that. So the sister is just SH talking to an air. Like imaginary one. The flasback showed how she died. Elevator crashed. SH is feeling all the guilt. Not sure I like this part of the arc for SH.

Overall I like the episode as there's realisation. Coming to terms with the situation and dealing with head one rather than leaving it as it is with will be subject to even more speculations (DH confessing on national televsion). When you  want somehing go for it ( DJ going back to school). When you make a decsion be firm about it though it hurts (JW choosing to be with DJ than continuing with idol debut)

Waiting for sub of ep 7.

And next week's episode.

Haven't watch Ep 8 yet.. busy real life. I still watch this because I enjoy it. But perhaps the could do away about the Soo Hyun and  younger sister story arc. Guess it's vital to her character.

Behind the scenes. Watch the video clip.That Lee Sun Bin. What is she cute for :blush:

On 9/19/2019 at 8:11 AM, jongski said:

But perhaps the could do away about the Soo Hyun and  younger sister story arc.

Greetings,

It explains the relationship between SH and WDH, shows SH did like WDH, and he liked her but she blames herself for her sister being in the wrong place at the wrong time leading to her death.  Its not clear to me whether she blamed him for her not being at the mall at that time because of the date or if she blames herself for procrastinating on returning the item and then pressuring her sister to do it on her behalf leading to her death.  Or perhaps she feels she should deny herself a relationship with WDH as atonement for her sister's death.  Now that we know that, if little sister really, really wants SH and WDH together we may continue to see "hauntings"?  "visitations"?  "phantoms"?  "manifestations of conscience"?...

After watching Episode 8, my poor opinion of these kids has not changed and I'm beginning to feel like a bully.  They are a miserable, ungrateful bunch.  I almost had a change of heart when DJ sent WDH the sonogram, then when she followed up with a threat, I feel justified in my opinion.  And she has the nerve to ask him if he can be her "real" father and not just a guardian... does that mean she knows he isn't her "real" father.  And the brother bringing the father home knowing what pond scum he is.  If he had any brains and decency, he would have called WDH ahead of time to ask what he should do.  But then I guess we wouldn't have a drama.  My dislike of these kids is now extending to their parents.  Forget the sires, what kind of woman was DJ's mother.  She had children with two losers and a fling with a college student she met on a ferry and that, really, is the basis for this drama which seems to be about how WDH always has to be a step ahead of these morons making lemonade out of lemons.  Well, its fun.

Episode 8: "Qualifications of a Father"

But who's qualifed to be the father? DH uses the children  for his own benefit. Restoring his image and now he's know for being 'national dad". Between tak's school assault, DJ teenage pregnancy,  having no income to fully support 4 kids. He's got his hands full. But being the person or the politician that he is, he wants to take advantage of the situation more, turn in to his own favor after al he's the "national dad."  It's all good he weathered that controvery with DJ pregnancy. It's all going to change once voters find out about he's not the real father of the children. How will they react to a politician who lied (IRL we shouldn't be suprise anymore).

It could be seen as postive that he took care of 4 kids, shows him being compassion and taking responsibility even if it's not his obligation. Ot..  it could be negative thing that could ruin his image again if truth is revealed with relationship with children. I will give credit to DH though. There are times when he looks and sounds sincere for the children anf their welfar. But wbenever he talks with BJ he goes back to thinking about his chances of being elected and having the children with him is more of the advantage.

The father of the twins and tak came back. I'm not  to sure exactly why he said  " I killed their Mother".  I mean understand but the flashback shows  him staring at the urn. Plus he's a corrup detective.

Out of all the character it's JW that I like. I hope the character is not going to be tainted with jealousy and anger resorting to dirty tactics. These are. He's going to be DH rival because as the father keeps pushing him to run for the positionwith the aim to be elected and go tot he Blue House. From experience, he knows what it's like as a politician's son. Knows what his  father has done.

On 9/21/2019 at 9:04 AM, Chickpea said:

And she has the nerve to ask him if he can be her "real" father and not just a guardian... does that mean she knows he isn't her "real" father. 

She doesn't know.  From flashback the mother told her it's an assemblyman. She has no idea hat  DH already knows she's not his biological daughter. I don't think he told her.  He was strategizing nd thought having her would help restore his image. But DJ knew what he's trying to  do (she searched  DH on net and found about reprobate son image).  She knew already that by taking her will help restore that negative image so they made a contract.  DH actually just wanted to take in DJ and not the other three. She said no thanks, if she can't be with the her sibnglings. she'd rather not.  Which is admirable.

We still haven't gotten to the reveal part about who the real father is and it's looking more and more like KKH which will make JW her half brother. which is weird because.. it just is.

I wonder when will the writern reveal.

I think the fun part of this drama will be JW DH debate.  I wanna see that. :D

On 9/20/2019 at 6:04 PM, Chickpea said:

After watching Episode 8, my poor opinion of these kids has not changed and I'm beginning to feel like a bully.  They are a miserable, ungrateful bunch.  I almost had a change of heart when DJ sent WDH the sonogram, then when she followed up with a threat, I feel justified in my opinion.  And she has the nerve to ask him if he can be her "real" father and not just a guardian... does that mean she knows he isn't her "real" father.  And the brother bringing the father home knowing what pond scum he is.  If he had any brains and decency, he would have called WDH ahead of time to ask what he should do.  But then I guess we wouldn't have a drama.  My dislike of these kids is now extending to their parents.  Forget the sires, what kind of woman was DJ's mother.  She had children with two losers and a fling with a college student she met on a ferry and that, really, is the basis for this drama which seems to be about how WDH always has to be a step ahead of these morons making lemonade out of lemons.  Well, its fun.

I am with you not liking the kids very much and them being ungrateful. You would think that going through the hardships they have, it would have matured them in some aspect in appreciating the good. But I do know from experience that sort of maturity only happens for certain personalities. I have seen some people become selfish and uber manipulative, and others become very thoughtful and proactive team problem solvers... yet both went through the same experiences. Plus when people are in surviving mode, the worst or best of them can come out. 

For all that WDH goes on with his buddy/advisor Bong Soo about using the kids to try and get him elected, it's becoming clear that there is a dichotomy between his actions and his words. His words say that he is using the kids, but the reality is fast becoming that he acts like a responsible parent and the "scumbag" father of the twins is on his last nerve. WDH looked and acted like a real father when SY was sick at the hospital, while Idiot Dad went out to gamble. :angry: 

I was not happy that WDH gave that piece of trash who calls himself the father of the twins the 30 million won that was supposed to be for his wedding. His mother saved that money with her blood, sweat and tears, so it really irked me. He'll gamble it away and ask for more. I admitted to hoping that WDH gave him counterfeit cash, but noooo.....

WDH also didn't help himself when he lost his temper and punched that landlord guy. Sure, he had it coming to him, and WDH was obviously replaying the scene in his head where his own mom got kicked out of her restaurant--but it looks bad on tape. 

JH as 2nd lead is quite refreshing--he is not the evil foil (at least not yet) and he seems to not want to ride on his dad's coat tails and resort to trickery and schemes to win the assembly seat. 

Episode 9: Dangerous deal

Wi Dae Han.. whenever he's with the children he becomes more genuine and human. And especially with the twins. His scenes with  very soft Song Yi warms my heart and then his interaction with Tae Poong makes me  smile. He's so good with them.  He makes me care for him.   I can see  the sincere way he felt towards  the twins. He even had that flashback with Song Yi. Aww.

I really don't know what's the deal  with that scumbag blackmailer father of twins.  He knows  DH is not the real father and is just putting up show for owm benefit but then when asked,  he also doesn't know who is the real one.  Dj mother only said a politician. Like??? I ope to see the big reveal. Like who's Da Jung's biological father?

I want more focus on that one because,from the start it's the  gist for the big show. For creating a scenario that DH can come back and repair his image. Maybe in latter parts once election starts, everything will come out in the open. Including the farce of having four children who isn't even his own. But he's become more of the father the one who cares more than the real one.  You can see when the twins we're praising him he felt  that pride and. Liek he may 'conning the voters but  the twins  appreciate him. Aww.

Episode 10: Match Up.

Please writer, don't make  Kang Joon Ho a bad guy. I don't want his image character ruined. Heck, evebn Dae Han think  HJ is gentleman. So  JH us going to run  agains't DH, he quit the law firm and even move to the neighborhood of DH and SY.  He has his own agenda. Nothing like what his father KKH is doing. KKH trying to  gain upperhand and swaying the voters mind   by doing something and staging  that knife attack so sympathy of the people will be with him.  JH overheard the conversation  of his father and aide. I think this is one the that triggered him to run. Or I think it's when SH ask hims to just be friends.  He wants to prove something. He want;s to be  someone who isn't  like his father. He knowsa the tatics the KKH used is not right.  Maybe he wants to rpove he is different kind of son. He is the good son.

Please JH stay  a good son.  A good man.  I don't want his character to become the antagonist that ruins someone because he isn't like that and based from what he's said before, he knows that politics ruins a family.

Well I am still waiting for the big reveal. Who is the father of Da Jung?

I'm still watching this drama.  Can't resist those twins.  Song Yi baby girl so soft spoken so sweet.

❤️❤️❤️❤️

❤️❤️❤️❤️

EFfzUesXUAAy1BX.jpg

EFfzUeeWwAIL_8j.jpg

Archived