[Drama 2019] The Great Show, 위대한 쇼

lsbsg

4 hours ago, zoks said:

He was an assemblyman before, right? Maybe the real father is the current assemblyman. You know, the old guy. Da Jung might have just told her that her bio dad is the assemblyman from that area and she got confused by which one.

I doubt.  Kyun Hoon looks like her gandpa already. And because that would mean, Joon Ho would be  Da Jung older brother that will be weird.  Dae Han, Joon Ho same age (they're classmates)  and might be same age with the Da Jung's mother (shown from flashback).They met when Dae Han was in college.  Politicians tend to have an affair to someone younger  even when married. But please no. Politician having affair with younger woman that could be same age as his son. The thought of it is not pleseant

Joon Ho is  showing resentment already for putting politics first before family. Well if it's not Dae Han and it's not shouldn't be  the Kyung Hoon. Who else could it be. Who would it be. I don't want anything complicated. I'm liking this drama as it is.

By the way,  Kyung Hoon lied to the locals assuring them no shopping mall complex will be built and they can keep their small business but when out of sight..  he's says otherwise ands green light the project with no remorse for their feelings.  Dae Han is going to rise up and endear himself to the locals.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably the father is Joon Ho. I think it will play out JH and KH go head to head then JH finds out about the children being his. This will test his belief of whether family is #1 or not.  I feel ultimately JH is not a bad guy and want to play by the rules. 

Episode 4: " We need a Superman"

cto

EDpGne4XoAAEw11.jpg

But wait...I'm excited for episode 5 next week. Da Jung could be pregnant? A junior in high school could be a mom.. and this will have an impact or  controversy for  Da Haen as he is  agains abortion. Hyuck is the boyfriend. The one that Da Jung was talking over the phone. Exciting! Teaser for next week .. showing Hyuk calling Dae Han father. Oh man!

Back to  last Ep 4. Dae Han is such an opportunist.  The lightbul moment again. He wasn't hit by truck but knowing that  he was able to save chubby cutie Tae Poong at the right time and that a lot of on lookers watching him,  Dae Han banged himsef on the front of truck and acted like he was so hurt and he lost conciousness and got a bruise.  The end result.. everyone saw him as  a hero. Pfft!

At the hospital, Tak wasn't even convince Dae Han was badly hurt and just putting an act. He can discern. It really is just one  great show to put on.  Then  when he was at the amsument park, another situation afforded him to  be recognized as Tae Poong wanted to be carried  on Dae Han's shoulder. He gave in to the demads but ask Soo Young to take photo- because.. obvious for social media. but he shusshed SY and said it;s for memories sake. Pfft! Okay I'll give you that but really. And then, a group of friends saw him and got excited seeing the "hero" of yesterday and wanted to have photo with him so.. yeah. Dae obliged because.. he knew again it's an oppotuniy. One of the girls said hey it's the "national dad". Little by little he's getting adoration of voters.

Soong Yi the shy baby girl wandered around in the midst of busy photo ops with Dae Han and fans. So she was missing, but luckily Dae Han found her. It was touching. DH was genuinely relieve to have found her and after hearing why she wandered, she though she saw her daddy but it was not and little girl sad and crie and  DH showed true concern and felt empathy.

Meantime, SY wanted to change the format for their weekly tv program (she's a writer) instead of doing interviews tyhey decided to do panel debate for topics They got Dae Han and Joon Ho as panelist on opposing sides. The topic, pro choice or pro life. Dae said abortion is a sin. Cue Da Jun sunddely wanting to vomit! And that's the end scene.

So for next week, we'll see if she's pregnant.  We don't even know who is the real father and here  we may have another story arc which is tied up to  politcial consequences that will affect Dae Han winining the election. It could be fall out or an opportunity.

I say the  Soong Yi and Tae Poong characters stealing the show. So cute child actors  I want to squish squeeze that chubby bunny baby boy Tae Poong. They act like how kids are suppose to act.. One is shy, soft and emotional,  the other so hyper active. I feel you Dae Han! :lol:

Once again, I enjoyed the episode. The drama as a whole. It's nice to watch light humurous political drama with a human touch.

One thing for sure, this drama doesn't drag out the secrets at least so far. By episode 2, we knew WDH was not the father of DJ, then in DJ and WDH cooly write up a contract for their "family" (she also overheard and knows he is not her father, right?) 

Now the candidates are going to tackle the tricky topic of abortion...and DJ might be pregnant?!? Whoa! The writer is sure not playing it safe or going for the easy route. Some things are predictable, like the destruction of the fish tank, or getting lost at the amusement park. However the amusement park scene really turned when WDH hugged SY, and he seemed to realize how much he missed her and worried about her. 

I love this drama so far--it's heartwarming, and funny in the right amount. 

I'm posting an excerpt of my review of Eps 1 and 2 here.  Hope you'll enjoy the show. 

“Optics”

Remember this word: optics. It has a special meaning in politics. :)

Image result for optics gif

When the hero Wi Daehan was eight years old, his mother brought him with her to witness her confrontation with his cheating father. His father was out on a date with the Other Woman and a nasty knock-down, drag-out fight ensued.

Spoiler

MGhnC0w.jpgAImzTCz.jpg

To me, this is the moment when he unconsciously learned the usefulness of OPTICS, or how an event or a decision is PERCEIVED by the public.

In retrospect, Daehan says, “Mom taking me over there was a calculated move. If she showed such a scene to her child, she thought my dad would stop cheating. But as a result, Dad chose to divorce my mom. And between my Mom and Dad, I had to choose which one to live with.”

Dad: Once I leave, I’ll never see your mom again. If you choose to live with your mom, I won’t see you again either.
Mom: How dare you threaten the child!
Dad: It’s not a threat, I’m stating the facts. Daehan, me or your mom. Who do you want to live with.

In retrospect again, he says, “For an eight-year-old child it was a tremendous choice. So I used a method which I relied on for making hard choices.”

Then the eight-year-old Daehan began to sing the Korean version of “Eeny meeny miny mo.” It’s a nursery rhyme used to eliminate or pick a player in a game.

Ok1N07R.jpg

The purported message of the grown-up Daehan here is that his life-altering moments were determined, not by careful deliberation, but by sheer luck. A game of chance decided his fate.

Or did it really?

When you look at the way his eight-year-old self played the game, you’ll notice that he cheated to select his mother. On the third stanza of the nursery rhyme, he kept singing but he’d stop picking between his mom and dad. His pointer finger rested on his mother. He only restarted when the song was down to the last four words, “Ding. Dong. Deng. Dong!” He chose his mom.

Do you see what happened there? He manipulated the game so he could pick out his mom. Of course, after seeing his mom duke it out with the Other Woman, his sympathies lay with mom. To put it simply: the optics of a suffering mom vs a cheating dad influenced his decision to vote for his mom.

This small flashback gives the viewers an insight into Wei Daehan's past. It should also teach viewers that life isn’t at all that transparent as they think it is. Sometimes, things aren’t at all what they seem to appear. And, for better or for worse, the “appearances” of events can shape and change spectators' perception and opinions. They fall for the optics.

And that's the theme of this kdrama, which is aptly called, "The Great Show."

Opposition Research

This triggered me, too. Come on now.  Who doesn’t do “opposition research” nowadays? The male lead Wei Daehan lost because he was running a seriously unsophisticated campaign.

He was going up against the Establishment politician so he should have expected them to hunt for skeletons in his closet.

His absentee father was obviously his weakest link.  And he could have protected himself by a) trying to mend fences with his father before campaigning, b) finding a bigger scandal about his opponent and redirecting the negative focus on them, c) disclosing the truth of his estrangement BEFORE it was uncovered, or d) lol, gaining the public’s empathy by playing the victim card.

To his credit, however, he didn’t play the victim card.

Instead, he tried to gain the public’s sympathy by doing this crazy “Three-Step Pilgrimage of Repentance.” As the name implies, his repentance required him to take three steps (literally, three steps) and then to prostrate himself on the ground. It's a "pilgrimage" because he began from the city center and walked all the way to his father’s ossuary outside of Seoul. It took him about six? five? days.

Wei Daehan was giving in to the people’s demand that he should have SHOWN filial piety to his father while his father was alive. Daehan gave the people what they wanted (i.e., his shame and punishment) while at the same time, he SHOWED them that he was a *noble* person (quote-unquote noble person) so he could win back their sympathies and their votes.

Do you see now where this story is heading?

Daehan declared that he desired to be a politician to get rid of corrupt politicians. In his own words, “From that day on, I had a dream. To become an assemblyman and to clean out those privileged pieces of trash.”

Spoiler

nAWb0as.jpg6UH9ecV.jpg

However, in the process of becoming an assemblyman, he began to corrupt himself, and doing these trashy things politicians did which he deplored.

He was becoming one of "them."

Now, it would all have been easy for him had he come out with the TRUTH that his father was the one who walked away from his family and cut ties with him when he was a child. Seriously now: what kind of father wouldn’t vigorously protest losing custody of his son because of a stupid “Eeny, meeny, miny mo” game? His father should have declared the outcome of the game as stupid, and insisted on his shared visitation rights as a parent.

That's the truth there.

But if Daehan had opted to share this family secret to the public, then he would have played the “victim card,” and DISHONORED his father’s name. His father was already dead. So was his mother.  And the Other Woman wouldn't be able to contest Daehan's version of the events, and salvage her reputation and the father's. All things considered, they were the adulterers.

In my opinion, this is what many viewers don’t get that about Wei Daewan's character.

As I said, it's to Daewan’s CREDIT that he didn’t play the victim card. He chose to be notoriously known as the “Nation’s Sinner” rather than throw his dead father under the bus. He could have revealed the truth and let his dad be called, posthumously, as the “Bad Dad” or the "Nation's Adulterer" for abandoning his own son for another woman.

Daewan's choice of action tells me that despite all his shady-ness, opportunism, and self-promotion, he's still capable of SACRIFICING himself for the benefit of another person, even if that person was one that he despised. He's redeemable.

Saving face

That night after losing the election, he’s dumped by his girlfriend. He knew that he was about to be dumped by his fake girlfriend. There was really no love lost between them. Their relationship was a strategic partnership. It was created for “optics.”

lol. Remember that buzzword word now: Optics. That’s why the title of this kdrama is “The Great Show.” Everything is for show. And that’s what optics means.

Instead of getting mad at being dumped, Daewon ended the relationship GRACIOUSLY. He preempted her, saying, “I didn’t keep my promise to you, so I’ll take responsibility. Let’s not see each other again. In my current state, I have no room to take care of you. I’m sorry.”

The girl then replied, “Oppa, you’ll become a successful politician. You say what the other party wants to say in their place.” And she got out of the car.

Her parting words are what I call a damning praise.

On one level, she’s praising him for his ability to express things better than she could ever have. On another level, she’s insulting him. What she’s saying is that he’s got it what it takes to become a politician because he can FAKE SINCERITY.

Look: they both knew that the nice things he said were simply to keep up the "appearance." Moreover, they both knew that she insulted and trashed him for losing the election.

She said these, didn't she? "How will you make a living? You come from a poor family and no job to go back to" and "What station would hire you? The national 'sinner'?"

So his seemingly kind words to her were actually a "double-sided punch" just like what Attorney Kang delivered on the tv show. He was SCHOOLING her on how to break-up with dignity, with class.

That's why on the third and deeper level, she's damning him. She knew she'd been insulted. Because he took the high road, he made her look like she's in the gutter.

And that's why, in her estimation, he'll make a very good politician. lol.

Spoiler

ag7Zeqh.jpg

source: https://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/09/08/the-great-show-eps-1-2-first-impressions

Because SSH is actually funny in this drama. :thumbsup:

credit:  https://m.post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=24797627&memberNo=35839671

ED_XV8tXYAAF8DI.jpg

Ep 5 tonight. Oh no.. the appearance of the son-in law??  :):D:lol::lol:

But I can imagine Wie Dae Han's reaction------ > :blink::o:unsure:

Waiting for the episode 5. We'll find out if Da Jung is pregnant or not.  Hah.  But I'm going to wait for the sub. I like that the sub for this drama is quick.

Hyuk even calls him father already. :lol:

At the end of Episode 3 and I must say I find the Head of Household Girl really unlikeable.  For someone so young she's manipulative, scheming and conniving.  The apple must not fall far from the tree so it makes sense to me that she's related to the Kang family.  DH may be doing the right thing for the wrong reason but he's doing the right thing.  In the end, that's what counts, whether we do the right thing...

\Oh My Gosh! it is has been a long time since I have wanted to comment on a current Kdrama!

Abortion: in all it's forms. Yes, no, only before 6 weeks, until 24 weeks and then...

She gets pregnant.Teen pregnancy! What a huge issue! 

This drama has some hairy balls to tackle this social issue in week 3. I am impressed.

I love this teenager's choice. 

I love the heart of this show.

(ok, I do not agree with low income housing in my neighborhood. That story arc is pure propaganda. In my town, it  brought a whole lot of crime and destroyed the property value.)

true story... the worst crime in my town is where low income housing was implemented.  I feel for the homeowners there. 

I love the (possible) redemption arc of our lead man.

I love this show!

Episode 5: "If It Happens To You"

Oh yes. When it's ther other way around. When art imitates life. This show is full of social realism.

cr: @boopstars

EEC0UBRX4AUHxkI.jpg

A high school girl and 20 year old college drop out involved with each other. A young politiician unmarried but have 4 kids trying to get voters  approval. In Korean society that's filled with conservatism, even a if this just a kdrama, to show someone aborting a child could be troubling. There will pros and cons of such and issue will arise.

Yes it's revealed that she's 1 month pregnant. The shock the anger the what were you thinking moment to  to the boyfriend.  And yes, Dae Han ask Da Jung to get an abortion.  You hyprocrite. Saying life is precious yet decided she has to get an abortion. Dae  Han is for anti abortion (but he dislikes children, doesn't have enough time and enery for them.. he's honest about that at least)

The ending scene though. I predicted already because. Korea's conservative. But still. The look Dae Han's face.

So the start of the episode we have the debate between Joon Ho amd Dae Han and. A progressive vs conservative. They tackle abortion up to 24 weeks vesus the right the life. Dae said he did the Anti abortion law. Towards the end of the tv program live viewers has to vote who they side with and Dae got high votes.The tv program  and Dae Han  trending.  Boy you can see his grin from a mile. He was proud! They went to dinner to celebrate success of the show but Da Jung didn't want to come. Dae Han being Dae Han, didn't want to miss oppotunity of success went instead. Da Jung went home alone.

Cue Da Jung in the next scene checking articles for signs early pregnancy. She took the pregnancy test kit and it's positive. She's 1 month pregnant. As predicted. She's a junior high school and the boyfriend is the father. Jung Woo (not Hyuk- it's the actors real name)  is 20 years old and and an idol trainee. So... they did it.  Talk about social realism. a high school girl with a college boyfriend. She  doesn't have anybody but a lousy uncle who doesn't want her and the siblings.  Without a mother or father out there. being the eldest  with her half siblings relying for love and comfort with the older boyfriend. End result  she got pregnant.

Da Jung told  Soo Hyun the truth so  Soo Hyun told Wi Dae Han, the same time that Da Jung told Jung Woo. Both reaction were mix of shock  anger. Anger  for Dae Han after finding out that a 20 yeard guy got a high school girl pregnant.  I totally understand his anger. How the baby will be raised by a high school girl  with  guy who didn't even finish college but trying to debute as an idol.  Athough it is sincere it comes of as somewhat insincere  because being so self righteous and being pro life, thinking what's to happen to him and his image and how voters will view the situation.  Dae Han said its hard for him. That she needs to have an abortion. Soo Hyun found him unbelievable and said it's  much harder for Da Jung.

To Jung Woo's credit he did acknowledge and ask forgiveness and  said he'll take responsibility which shock Dae Han and Da Jung and Soo Hyun.  He said  he doesn't have the right to be called a kpop star if he can't even do something good.  He told Da Jung he felt bad.  Da Jung being the tough girl  said that at least he didn't shun the responsibility but that she'll handle the rest.

So they went to the hospittal to get the abortion. Dae Han as usual always thinking himself and his image gave Da Jung a face mask to which Soo Hyun found to unbelievable as Da Jung is being treated like a criminal. When they came out. Everyone was sullen then they went to eat dinner... and yeah they're hungry but Da Jung was ravenous so it gave already the indication what happened. I knew it! She  told Jung Woo and Dae Han she did not get an abortion, that she decided she will keep the baby.  To the shock faces of the men. Open mouth and all.

So now the reveal is out the current situation changes the dynamics and the relationship of Da Jung and  Dae Han.  They will still abideby the contract they made. But  the issue of  Da Jung keeping the baby it could go either way for Dae Han. It will raise is moral values with voters and  his image will greatly improve or it could ruin his chances especially  voterrs find out a high school girl got pregnant by a 20 year old guy and wanna be idol.

By the way,  Da Jung's real father could be.... could  be.. yes, it could be Kyung Hoon? chingu @zoks  you could be right. During the flashback scene of Da Jung, the mom mentioned it's an Assemblyman. So many possiblities to happen to this drama.

This drama is good. It's better than one expected. And I like how they put humor in it's correct place. if there's one thing, I'm not really fond of the  boyfriend.  I mean I'm not much for  the actor.. I don't know who he is. Other than that  I'm enjoying this drama and SSH. He's hilarious actually. :D

Waiting for the sub of ep 6.

Did DH scripted that ending speech lol? Because it sounded genuine and I was in tears just like the rest of the people:lol:. But he made a good point in that speech. Although some support abortion and some don't, it's different story when you are personally involved with the decision making. I think his talk with JW, the sonogram and the fact that she was getting bullied at school made him choose to keep the child. 

I'm glad that JW took responsibility and will be there for her as well even though he had to give up his dreams. Hopefully his information isn't leaked to the press because it will hard for him to get a job and the backlash he will get for getting a minor pregnant will be bad. DJ is getting bullied at school already:(. Hopefully nothing happens to her and the baby while she is attending the school.

I'm surprised JH is different from his father. He was more worried about the family getting hurt from the rumors about the pregnancy. Told his mom and DH ex-girlfriend that it's not something to laugh about. I hope he stays the same and don't change because it's really refreshing to see a second lead like him. As for his crush, while I don't want SH to join his family, I still want him to get the girl. But then again, DH needs her too so It's hard to choose LoL:D

DH, Ohh WDH, he never fails to make us laugh lol. It's funny how he makes us question whether he is genuine about something or it's just a big show. Not to mention, his friend, BJ is hilarious pointing out how he screwed up big time:mrgreen:.

But ouch, I felt for DH in EP 5 when SH said how could she be interested in someone who has four kids? I felt sorry for him at that moment and he probably felt hurt by her words. DH said they were close in college and she suddenly cut contact with him one day. Now I'm curious why SH took a semester off and didn't keep DH in contact. Looks like it has something to do with why she can't take the elevator or maybe her sister:mellow:. But, for someone who is not interested, she sure is cooking and eating breakfast in his house lol. It's too late for her to get out:ph34r:.

The twins dad shows up and knows that DJ is not his bio daughter. Well, things are about to get messy and I'm wondering how he is gonna get out this lol. 

Sorry for the long post. 

1 hour ago, lu09 said:

I'm surprised JH is different from his father. He was more worried about the family getting hurt from the rumors about the pregnancy. Told his mom and DH ex-girlfriend that it's not something to laugh about. I hope he stays the same and don't change because it's really refreshing to see a second lead like him. As for his crush, while I don't want SH to join his family, I still want him to get the girl. But then again, DH needs her too so It's hard to choose LoL:D

@lu09 I know right. Second lead that could be the protagonist too. Refreshing as you say that we see second lead that's a good guy. Lets hope it stays that way throughout.

1 hour ago, lu09 said:

DH, Ohh WDH, he never fails to make us laugh lol. It's funny how he makes us question whether he is genuine about something or it's just a big show. Not to mention, his friend, BJ is hilarious pointing out how he screwed up big time:mrgreen:.

Like I said he looks so sincere but then it comes of as insincere because  there's always that  doubt he's doing it for his political image because he's going to run for assemblyman.  :D

@jongski I hope he stays the same:tears:

As for WDH, yep that's something we will question until the very end lol:mrgreen::joy:

I'm reading comments saying that SH sister is a ghost or a fraction of her own memory. I mean I can the signs especially when she showed up out of nowhere when SH was at work or the fact that her parents didn't ask of her. Something is really wrong here:huh:.

Archived