[Upcoming Movie 2021] Seo Bok, 서복 - Park Bo Gum, Gong Yoo - Premieres on April 15th

autumnight

:approves:

Soompi for better reading 

Gong Yoo Praises Co-Star Park Bo Gum And Talks About Filming Upcoming Sci-Fi Movie

Gong Yoo Praises Co-Star Park Bo Gum And Talks About Filming Upcoming Sci-Fi Movie

Oct 27, 2020

by J. K

Gong Yoo shared praise for his co-star Park Bo Gum and spoke about his role in the upcoming sci-fi film “Seo Bok” (literal title).

The movie is about Ki Heon (played by Gong Yoo), a former intelligence agent who is tasked with ensuring the safe transportation of mankind’s first human clone Seo Bok (played by Park Bo Gum) as his last mission. They become caught in dangerous situations as several forces aim to take the clone for themselves.

An online press conference was held for “Seo Bok” on October 27, featuring actors Gong Yoo, Jo Woo Jin, and Jang Young Nam along with director Lee Yong Joo.

Park Bo Gum was unable to attend as he is currently serving in the military, but he sent a video message to the event, conveying his regrets over not being able to participate.

He said, “I was sincerely grateful for everyone including Director Lee Yong Joo who gifted me with the character of Seo Bok and guided us, Gong Yoo who taught me a lot on set, Jo Woo Jin who was so considerate, and all the staff who worked so hard. I was happy to be able to work with you. I hope everyone will give our film a lot of attention and love.”

Gong Yoo shared, “He won’t be able to watch this press conference in the military, but I get a bit emotional thinking about how he must be working hard. Park Bo Gum did well at sowing and now we’ll do the reaping.”

He continued, “Park Bo Gum needs no advice, he’s naturally good already. He was my youngest junior actor, but he’s got a broad mind. I noticed how he is considerate toward everyone. All his fellow soldiers in the military probably already know him well. I believe that when Park Bo Gum is discharged, he’ll be even more mature and deep.” He added with a laugh, “This may sound strange, but I think it’s alright if you don’t work too hard [in the military].” Jo Woo Jin joked, “Gong Yoo’s getting teary.”

On the topic of points to look out for in the film, Gong Yoo named Park Bo Gum’s transformation.

“The public is aware that Park Bo Gum is a kind person,” he said. “But he transforms in ‘Seo Bok’ and has a completely different image. I was very surprised while we were filming too. We even said things to him like ‘You need to play a villain’ and ‘You have a wicked look in your eyes.’ As his co-star, I was very charmed by him.”

Director Lee Yong Joo also praised Park Bo Gum for his concentration and following his instincts. “Park Bo Gum has an energy that can change the atmosphere on set in a moment,” he continued. “There were many times during filming when he surprised me.”

Gong Yoo went on to talk about his role. “My character Ki Heon is a former intelligence agent who suffers from trauma,” he said. “I thought that ‘Seo Bok’ wasn’t an easy topic. I found it fun and it made me curious, but I felt a lot of pressure because it seemed like it would be difficult to embody the role. However, I learned about the essence of what Director Lee Yong Joo wanted to say with this film, and that motivated me.”

“It wasn’t easy to act while having to imagine things that weren’t happening and people who weren’t there,” he added.

Director Lee Yong Joo said, “I wrote the scenario for ‘Seo Bok’ with Gong Yoo and Park Bo Gum in mind.” He went on to say about Gong Yoo, “He’s a perfect fit for the role.” He continued, “As he’s shown in his previous works, he has a great natural sense of movement. You should look forward to his action scenes in this film too.”

Jo Woo Jin also praised Gong Yoo’s action skills and said he was very considerate to all the cast and crew. “He also kept the mood up on set,” he added. Jang Young Nam shared, “To me, Gong Yoo is the best actor there is.” Gong Yoo said about the pair, “They steal every scene. They’re true veterans.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1434300wpp/gong-yoo-praises-co-star-park-bo-gum-and-talks-about-filming-upcoming-sci-fi-movie

• Thanks 1

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Movie 2021] Seo Bok, 서복 - Park Bo Gum, Gong Yoo - Premieres on April 15th
  • 2 months later...

Seobok part in the article :

From 'Shark: The Beginning' to 'The 8th Night,' more films going direct to OTT.

In April, local OTT player Tving made an unprecedented dual theatrical-streaming release for the sci-fi thriller "Seobok," starring Gong Yoo and Park Bo-gum.

Tving, which has the second-largest share among local players, saw its monthly active users hit a record of 3.34 million in May, since its launch as an independent entity from CJ ENM in October last year.

According to CJ ENM, "Seobok" topped the most popular film category for two weeks after its release on the streaming service.

"Tving's first original movie Seobok has shown us how streaming and movie theaters can coexist. We will continue to employ strategies and expand our portfolio to bring diversified experience to audiences," the company official said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.amp.asp%3fnewsIdx=310845

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gong Yoo And Park Bo-Gum Learn What It Means To Be Human In ‘Seo Bok’

How do you measure the value of a life? That question has been asked the dawn of time and the Greek philosopher Aristotle answered it by saying, “We live in deeds, not years; in thoughts, not breaths; in feelings, not figures on a dial.” Yet Aristotle could not have known science might one day create a clone like Seo Bok, the subject of the film Seo Bok, currently playing at the Fantasia International Film Festival.

While Seo Bok is not technically immortal, he is immune to human disease and aging. Scientists want to use him to grant some humans a degree of immortality, but in the process treat Seo Bok as a mere specimen and less than human. As a specimen he is very valuable, which is why conflicting forces want to steal him, no matter how many human lives it costs. 

To protect Seo Bok, a shadowy government agency hires Ki-hun, a man whose days are numbered due to a brain tumor. In exchange for protecting Seo Bok, they offer Ki-hun a chance to be a guinea pig in their experiments and receive a possible cure for his cancer. Ki-hun doesn’t want to die, but he’s also lost some of his reasons for living and feels as if his death sentence is deserved. 

While attempting to transport Seo Bok to a safe location, the convoy is attacked and Ki-hun must fight to save him. Despite at first thinking of his charge as not quite human, he begins to feel protective toward Seo Bok.

Gong Yoo convincingly plays Ki-hun with the weary desperation of a man haunted by past deeds, a man whose only moral compass is to stay loyal to the security forces he committed those deeds for. Park Bo-gum plays Seo Bok with the candor and sweetness of a child.

Having lived a sheltered existence, Seo Bok really has no idea how the world works and asks Ki-hun endless questions, trying to establish what’s right and wrong. He soon realizes that his very existence is problematic. 

The sci-fi thriller features the requisite number of exciting action scenes and displays of Seo Bok’s special paranormal powers, but director Lee Yong-ju’s film is strongest when it focuses on the relationship between the two men, the man who is dying and the man who might live forever. Whose life matters most? Between them they must decide whether life is measured in deeds or years.

Both Gong Yoo, who starred in the TV drama Goblin and the film Train to Busan, and Park Bo-gum, who appeared in the drama Record of Youth and the film Coin Locker Girl, are popular actors in Korea. They offer another compelling example of their talent and appeal in this film.

The film’s release in Korea was delayed due to COVID and finally reached theaters in April 2021, where it ranked number one in the box office on opening day. Seo Bok is currently being shown On Demand at the Fantasia International Film Festival, which runs through August 25, 2021. The festival features several Korean films, including Midnight, The Devil’s Deal, Josée and Fighter.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2021/08/07/gong-yoo-and-park-bo-gum-learn-what-it-means-to-be-human-in-seo-bok/amp/

• 3 months later...