[Drama 2019] Home for Summer, 여름아 부탁해

0ly40

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/10/2019 at 11:49 PM, stroppyse said:

Anyway, it was fun while it lasted, but I think this is where I'm checking out. It was fun to share this long thread with everyone here. For those who are sticking with it, I hope that the ending is ultimately satisfying. Take care.

Episode 118

In these dramas a 'dutiful'/conventional person is great as a child and sibling. Unfortunately, s/he is often not great as a lover. A 'dutiful' person is basically a conservative. S/he puts priorities to relationships according to the order of when they occur. S/he would put first priority to his/her parents, as this happened first. Then next priority would be to his/her siblings. The lover’s priority often comes last as this relationship comes last in the person’s life journey.

Relationship between a 'dutiful' person and his/her lover could last if the lover could subordinate his/her own interest to the interests of the dutiful person’s significant others, like parents and siblings. Otherwise, the relationship may be doomed.

For example,

-          In “Secrets and Lies” the marriage survived as the wife agreed to live with her husband’s adopted parents, even though they treated her poorly and openly wanted to break up their marriage.

-          In “Liver or Die” the wife could keep the marriage as she was willing to be a servant to look after her husband’s younger siblings

-          In “Blowbreeze”, the lead male insisted that his wife lived with his mother. The mother treated the wife cruelly as she wanted a rich girl and the marriage was broken (the marriage was resumed when the wife turned out as a chaebol’s granddaughter)

By contrast, relationships are more stable when both persons are of ‘rebellious’/unconventional types. Couples, in “Secret Garden”, “Nameless Woman” “You Are Too Much” could marry early and maintain their marriages throughout the serials as the main male lead and female leads were both 'rebellious'. Thus, they could withstand pressures from families from either side.

In this serial, Sang-Won is a 'rebellious' type. However, Geum-Hui is a 'dutiful' type. It pains me to state that, unless she changes, their personalities do not match and that she might not the best fit for Sang-Won.

The most enjoyable moments of this serial happened when Sang-Won and Geum-Hui were just friends. They supported each other best. Sang-Won gave her a job while Geum-Hui helped him to run the restaurant. As a friend, Geum-Hui defended Sang-Won against all sides. Sang-Won, of course, always defended her. They both cared for YR. Remember the beach scene in which they, as friends, spend happy time together with YR?

Their relationship declines when SW tries to change the friendship into romance. Why? Because, GH would have to put SW's and her own priorities above family and sibling priorities, and this is what GH belief would not allow. Geum-Hui would not allow SW’s and her own priorities to come above her parents' and siblings’ priorities. Heck, she would even put SW’s dad’s and mom’s priorities over Sang-Won’s & her own priorities.

Thus, realistically, the show may end when Geum-Hui told Sang-Won to break up. The realistic ending would be one in which they stay as friends but co-parent YR.

The writer would try to reunite them in the last episode. However, without changes in her belief, the end would not be realistic. If they marry, in their life journey, there would be crises in which priorities should be decided. Without change, Geum-Hui would put others’ priorities above Sang-Won’s and hers and that could mean break-up or that Sang-Won would have to surrender to Geum-Hui’s belief and suffer to maintain the marriage.

Note: The same issue happens with Geum-Ju and Seok-Hoo, as Seok-Hoo is a 'dutiful' type.

@jasmine19 if priorities put a relationship in the last position, then people should not be getting into relationships or marrying at all. Marriage entails responsibilities and obligations towards your other half and future children. If these people are to be set aside in favor of parents and siblings then one should not enter into relationships or getting married at all. 

This means they should just stay with their parents and siblings and devote their loyalties and service and care towards them.

There needs to be a balance in all types of relationships as well as priorities. If one cannot put a relationship especially if one is married (spouse & children) as a first priority above all else then one should not enter into such relationship because is is unfair to the spouse and children because if you cannot put them first  then one should not create a family of his own.

But first and foremost of all one should give priority to oneself because if one is not happy he/she will be unable to make others happy.

1 hour ago, dramaninja said:

Even the crew must be feeling the frustration we viewers are feeling.  So, they don't care what happens to it either.  

Just dislike the fact that JH is acting up while SW has to go through this alone.  JH has the audacity to ask SH to put in a good word to GH dad to help him be in GH's life.  Does she not even understand how she is hurting the one she loves.  Or she is too pre occupied in her illness to think about it.  

Next she is sending YM to his father.  Nice.  GH  - you truly don't deserve to be a mother.  If you care about how others would see you when you have your Chemo,  then, may be it is better for Sw to find a lady who would fight and stay strong in adversity.  

I think the writer went wrong with this direction for this story and should have kept it simple.  

Anyway, not even interested to watch today's subbed episode :rage::thumbsdown:

I think GH is just in a horrible position and her illness is not making her think straight as well. She know both SW and YR lost the person they love once and the possibility for it to happen again due to her illness is  something she cant seem to bare.  GH herself its terrified I cant imagine going though something like this.

This stuff happens in real life too someone gets sicks denies or is terrified it while pushing people away its truly is heartbreaking.

despite my previous strong dislike for Sangmi, lately the actress has been so good. All her crying scenes, her begging JH, her pathetic state make me feel she is still human. I hope the actress takes a different role next time. 

@angelwingssf don't be hard on GH. She is afraid of death. She doesn't want SW to love her more, because if she dies, he will be devastated. She is not selfish at all. I feel so so so sorry for her :( poor Gemhee 

On 10/12/2019 at 11:06 AM, USAFarmgirl said:

@Takingthehighroad  Hoping you change your mind but if not since I am on a theme... " May The Force Be With You until we meet again on another thread.   You will be missed:bawling:

I feel as if I am on a sinking ship and yet I too can understand what you and others are feeling.  Without intending to step on any writers freedom in creating their own story which I know is their right.  Still I do wish there were more stories that had less stress, struggle and craziness and more than one or two episodes of relief, REAL justice and contentment.   That gives us more happiness, understanding and a view of beyond even a happy ending to what happened after.  Just a bit more could add so much to a viewers whole experience.

All to often it feels as if the suffering is 95% and happiness 5% of an entire drama and to be honest the evil characters never ever seem to get the type of justice they truly deserve for all the cruelty they have created and we too suffer through.  Every now and then there those that come along but it's to few and far between...

Maybe it seems a lo

16 hours ago, 10192123sangre said:

@jasmine19 if priorities put a relationship in the last position, then people should not be getting into relationships or marrying at all. Marriage entails responsibilities and obligations towards your other half and future children. If these people are to be set aside in favor of parents and siblings then one should not enter into relationships or getting married at all. 

This means they should just stay with their parents and siblings and devote their loyalties and service and care towards them.

There needs to be a balance in all types of relationships as well as priorities. If one cannot put a relationship especially if one is married (spouse & children) as a first priority above all else then one should not enter into such relationship because is is unfair to the spouse and children because if you cannot put them first  then one should not create a family of his own.

But first and foremost of all one should give priority to oneself because if one is not happy he/she will be unable to make others happy.

t to ask for but you sure wouldn't have people jumping ship when they are tired and have just had enough.  Reality is hard enough and in this fast paced world we live in getting away from real stress, struggles and craziness is what's needed not more of it...:heart: 

V

I think the worst writing in this drama is they continue to torment the lead female. Besides her parents who are trying to encourage her to go to the hospital and seek treatment they have made everyone else continue to be selfish and not see the big picture. The doctor told GH I am sure that the best thing is to have people who care about her around her to provide support. But instead of trusting in YR and SW she listens to his father who is a poor  physician and human being. How selfish are you to forget your vows to help people and only think of his personal feelings. He used this as a chance to steal his grandson back and get his son back and he will have to learn that it will only upset his grandson and son. 

I can't believe so many people who do not need to be around GH are. I have had it with this drama the min that GH showed signs of being ill and I am only waiting to see the last episode to see if she and SW really do end up together. I stuck with it this long only for this reason only to get a curve ball at the end with this new plot line. Was there no other way to try to redeem people and gain parental support? I guess not if they resulted to this. 

Extensions never do good in my view and the one they added to this drama has only made my view of this drama go down. Its not going to be one that I would want to put on my favorite drama list.  I prefer daily drama's but with so many networks doing away with daily drama time slots I can see the future pickings as being slim and will have to re-watch old drama's to get my fix. 

I am very disappointed in how they are going about this. I am not surprised by GH's actions but someone should have told her how selfish she is being as well. Its too bad that there is no one around her to do so. I want to hope that perhaps SM will be the one person to wake GH up and provide something that makes her see her actions are hurting herself, SW and YR. Even if SM's actions are born out of selfish reasons to hold on to JH perhaps she will provide the kick in the pants that GH needs to stop it. 

2 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

@angelwingssf don't be hard on GH. She is afraid of death. She doesn't want SW to love her more, because if she dies, he will be devastated. She is not selfish at all. I feel so so so sorry for her :( poor Gemhee 

Irrespective of whether she breaks up or stays together, SW and YR will be devastated by her death.  Why think of something that may not happen.  I wish the writer shows that a person can be strong instead of portraying to be weak and indecisive - everyone telling what to do.  They usually have one friend or confidant who smacks some sense into such people.  Why did the writer not provide one.  

Why does GH not understand it is better to be with the one she loves because love works miracles.  The love of the family would uplift the spirits and brings life back into her.  

I think SW would not let her go if he found out that GH has lukemia.  I hope he finds out soon and make sure that he does not let her go.  It is getting late for GH to be sick and staying at home.  Today was disappointing SW, Tomorrow it is going to be YR and both will fall into the abyss of loss and will suffer more pain.  

After watching so many dramas, I think I will call it quits with Korean dramas after this set and will focus more on developing software which does not give me heartaches, headaches or wake me up in the middle of the night.  

For all the time I spent here, I can honestly say, that I enjoyed the conversation more than the dramas itself.  I prefer light hearted dramas without this overbearing mothers, idiotic and daunting SIL or gullible Female and Male leads.  Tired of it.  So far, even though the dramas start out well, the writers have gotten into repeating the same old story and the entire drama goes down hill being sucked into a whirlpool.  Thank you all for creating a wonderful environment of discussion and have immensely enjoyed participating in it.  

2 hours ago, Ldy Gmerm said:

Its too bad that there is no one around her to do so. I want to hope that perhaps SM will be the one person to wake GH up and provide something that makes her see her actions are hurting herself, SW and YR. Even if SM's actions are born out of selfish reasons to hold on to JH perhaps she will provide the kick in the pants that GH needs to stop it.

This is what I am looking for too.  Too late for it to move any other way.  I am hoping that YR sad and crying face and overhearing the conversation about GH having lukemia is what SW hears from his son, since he can ask his father what that means and the light bulb goes off in SW and hopefully he will barge in to take care of GH.  I hate JH trying to hover around GH even in my dreams.  To me he is a sick selfish B.  Trying to get SH even though he is trying to give JH advice, the only way JH moves away is when GH openly takes SW help and support and gets better.   I want JH to lose both SM and GH and be a loner and go away.  

@angelwingssf I am sad you want to stop watching :(

Try miniseries, they are cheerful

I don't get heartache except when my favourite characters die, otherwise I can watch. This drama was mostly good, it is expected most of the time, surprises are few. The cheating JH was provocative, but we had YR and his sweet moments with GH and SW. YR made the drama good

Don't leave my friend, I was happy with our group in dailies, we were happy together.

Never thought I would applaud the female villan in the peice but there you go first time for everything.  Glad she is pushing things along.

However this storyline is still boring and transparent I dont have to watch it except for the previews now.  Let me guess he is going to stay out in the rain, get himself sick and end up in hospital to sort things out.

As she is not marrying JH, its one thing if she gets sick but she cant have his dad getting sick.  I knew she was going to hide the sickness after all that is what Bora did and the family as well.  Meantime he is the one struggling because he doesnt know what is going on.  I love the interpretation of love, sacrifice to make others happy when your actually making people miserable.

Your last moments should be telling nthe people you love how you feel about them and ensuring all matters settled including your partner as well.  Not chasing them off to the ends of the earth and leave them with a world of regret later when they find out then......pfft

If the illness had appeared at the beginning of the drama, it might have even helped the story-line.  But now - no can do. Personally, I can see why GH is pushing YR & SW away. She thinks she will die - she doesn't want SW or YR to see that.  Having always supported/helped everyone else, it's hard to change from a supporter to a supported. No one wants to be a burden, especially to the ones we love. You who've always been strong are now weak, helpless, lost, & confused. You don't want your loved ones to see you as you become even more helpless. Perhaps it isn't fair to SW & YR but then your illness isn't fair either. So you do what you feel you have to do - SW is not  her husband but a boyfriend. YR has found his father who loves him dearly. SW & YR can support each other now. In her weakened state, she can die in peace; hence, in essence, GH is giving up, resigned to die.

Of course, this is just my morbid opinion on a drama I'm NOT watching. :D  I think the scripts should always contain a well-written just-in-case scenario submitted with the original plot. That way we wouldn't get a Pee Wee Herman surprise.

Archived