[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Storm Eye 暴风眼

Lynne

ep 1 subbed....lyrics "even if you live your whole life unknown" ....talking about multitasking  in the workplace and totally dedicated that there is no room for compromise, mistake or even socializing .  So far I  know that 10 years ago she left without a trace , and he searched for 3 years .  They are not disclosing their true occupation even to the best friends and old 'loves' ? .  There is no joy in her eyes seeing him again while he stayed around hoping to see her at the funeral .    I was never curious about the current toys , but today with this episode I got a pretty good lesson and while I too was sleeping the world really did change .    

I just finished watching ep 5.  

This is a complicated story.  So a lot of basics have to be put into place before the story can flow smoothly.  But being of a Suspense Genre,  they should have inserted some excitements and up the tempo a bit.  So that viewers could catch onto it more easily.

At least in ep 2 there is some suspense.  This story revolves around 2 companies, Dinghua and Changan.  And eps 3 - 5 laid a lot of groundwork for that.

Ep 5: There is a tender moment between the 2 leads.  When the ML gave the FL a birthday present - a Calendar.  He inserted a Dried Maple Leaf within the Calendar, which carries a nostalgic meaning for both.  They have planned to make a trip after graduation.  It didn't materialise because the FL suddenly disappeared.  But the ML went ahead as planned.  And that Maple Leaf is a souvenir from that trip.

We also got to know why the FL - An Jing suddenly left Ma Shang. She has to take care of her mother. 

Ep 6:   I've yet to watch it.  But I believe the Excitement should begins.  As the ML - Ma Shang joined Dinghua company as an Undercover Agent.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hush puppy said:

I just finished watching ep 5.  

This is a complicated story.  So a lot of basics have to be put into place before the story can flow smoothly.  But being of a Suspense Genre,  they should have inserted some excitements and up the tempo a bit.  So that viewers could catch onto it more easily.

At least in ep 2 there is some suspense.  This story revolves around 2 companies, Dinghua and Changan.  And eps 3 - 5 laid a lot of groundwork for that.

Ep 5: There is a tender moment between the 2 leads.  When the ML gave the FL a birthday present - a Calendar.  He inserted a Dried Maple Leaf within the Calendar, which carries a nostalgic meaning for both.  They have planned to make a trip after graduation.  It didn't materialise because the FL suddenly disappeared.  But the ML went ahead as planned.  And that Maple Leaf is a souvenir from that trip.

We also got to know why the FL - An Jing suddenly left Ma Shang. She has to take care of her mother. 

Ep 6:   I've yet to watch it.  But I believe the Excitement should begins.  As the ML - Ma Shang joined Dinghua company as an Undercover Agent.

I finished ep 3 subbed and watched raw up to 7.  I think end of 7 his parents are sooo happy that he finally has a job LOL or it looks like it.     So big daddy is in contact with the shady man and i guess the daughter does not know about her girlfriend and fiancee otherwise she would not cry so much.   Thank you @hush puppy because without subs i am not able to follow clearly and yet very much  curious, so your input definitely helped :)  . Our FL has been the station chief for 4 years now and she is one of the best and watching the conversation in the other episodes she and ML seem to be mentally almost 99.9 match  so there is hope for love even for them . 

• Like 1

@jadore1

1) Miao Fei's fiance Jia Chang An is murdered by her father Miao Huan Yang (my guess).  (I change my mind. Cannot be her father).  Bcos the confidential documents which he took away with him held incriminating evidences of both their cooperation in some illegal activities.  Also he was murdered in Dinghua's carpark.  

2) Chang An is not a good man either.  So I have no Sympathy for him.

-  He depends  a lot on Huan Yang's company Dinghua to give him some overlapping projects. In other words he is not a capable person.  He cannot survive on his own.  He is taking full advantage of his girlfriend

-  And of course, not a faithful man. 

-  Easily blackmailed because of his foolishness and amorous nature.

3) Miao Fei's father Huan Yang was blackmailed to take advantage of China's legal loopholes 10 years ago and did something illegal.  That old man took him gambling and made him lose a lot of money. After that blackmailed him to do it for him.

But the man whom he met up is not the same person.  It was the Super Spy -  Liu Ba Qiang.  Every time he wore a Rubber Mask which resembles the Old Man.

So I can safely guess that in the End , Miao Huan Yang will either die or serve a long-term imprisonment 

4) I think An Jing's (Yang Mi) parents were divorced. Her father also work in the same office as her. As her immediate superior told her, in this line of work there are many things you cannot tell your family.  And so will cause frictions and misunderstandings.  I guess which is why her parents' marriage cracked

So if the ML and FL ends up together, it is good that they are in the same line of work. So that they can understand each other.

5) The 2 spies are starting to have Trust Issues now.  So we don't have to wait long for them to betray and try to kill each other.

• LOL 1

4 hours ago, hush puppy said:

But the man whom he met up is not the same person.  It was the Super Spy -  Liu Ba Qiang.  Every time he wore a Rubber Mask which resembles the Old Man.

Is this the guy that they caught after he was serving the tea and they ripped his moustache off  ..Liu Ba Qiang ? or is it someone new ?  They released him after 6 am?  if you did not mention the mask i would have never guessed, but our station captain she zoomed in on their conversation and with the body language i guess she can see that the father received quite a blow during their little walk ....or should i say walk on the wild side based on your info lol...

• Like 1

I just finished ep 1 and sorry I skipped many posts here to avoid spoilers but so far, it is like in setting up the story. As with many Cdrama - the pace is a bit slow but I do see some potential for a complex story! I think it is too early to say how it goes but I like that it is different kind of role for YM (I like that she also looks the part). I haven’t watched a modern Cdrama with the police/investigation genre  since the 90’s lol - this is new to me again. Will give it a chance and not compare it to American/Kdrama police shows. 

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 11:08 PM, jadore1 said:

Is this the guy that they caught after he was serving the tea and they ripped his moustache off  ..Liu Ba Qiang ? or is it someone new ?  They released him after 6 am?  if you did not mention the mask i would have never guessed, but our station captain she zoomed in on their conversation and with the body language i guess she can see that the father received quite a blow during their little walk ....or should i say walk on the wild side based on your info lol...

@jadore1 

1) No The guy you mentioned is called Chen Can - Codename "Blaster".  He is further down the ranks.

2) Liu Ba Qi Qiang is the guy who always wear the Rubber Mask to disguise himself as the Old Man. - And now I wonder if he has always disguised himself - even 10 years ago when he first met Miao Huan Yang.  Otherwise he would not know  MHY so well. (But this is rather ridiculous.  Because Liu Ba Qi Qiang is Taller & has a sturdier Physique. Whilst the old man is shorter and thinner)

3) Who Killed Jia Chang An?

I take back my words.  I don't think PaPa Miao Huan Yang did it.  He is not a Cold-Blooded Man.  Yes, he was petrified because he has assisted and funded  his son-in-law in his projects.  And with the latest Revelatlions about his company being involved in smuggling ores,  PaPa Miao became a Partner In Crime.

I forgot about the European Man - the Big Fish, the one at the Top of the Ladder, Liu Ba Qi Qiang's Boss.  I believe he arranged the Murder, with the Cooperation of someone from  Dinghua. 

4) Right now I suspect the  Rogue-Insider is Pang Yi Shan - the one who is in charge of R&D. (Just a guess. I could be Wrong:))

-  He was promoted to take over Papa Miao's position as the Executive VP, the moment he resigned. 

- The first thing he did was to "Split Up" the Admin Dept which previously oversees the Personnel Dept as well

- And then restrict the Age Requirement for the New Personnel Recruit to be Above 35 years.  That will limit the choice of Eligible Applicants.  And he can use that excuse to  promote his own follower

5) I'm extremely disappointed with An Jing's (Yang Mi) Team.  Because when they "search" Jia Chang An's office, they "Failed" to discover the Pin-Hole Camera planted among the Books.  Very Sloppy Job by  the National Security Agency.

** This thread may be quieter.  But I'm not complaining.  More peaceful.  I've recently been in a Thread where someone tried so hard to make a few of us leave so that she can monopolise the discussion.  In the end we left.  And she indeed took over the Helm.  Now whenever I see her name, I'll stay out** 

• Insightful 1

@hush puppy I think you and I are social distancing lol not too crowded here , but I am happy and you are a joy to keep company with  . Jiayou :blush:  ps. I am sorry that my comments are way behind since i do see raw 10 today.

Ep 4 subbed today...Papa Miao called  LBQQ   Mr.  He when he called and interrupted the dinner and when he met the old man in the hotel he also called him Mr He , and my puzzle was solved when the old man stripped lol   BUT the old man looks so frail, mind you i was checking his hands and they looked pretty good for an old man, and the younger LBQQ looks strong and robust ???

LBQQ having the lunch with double squealing girlfriend . .I think El Vino  or El Booze seems to be the required oil change on daily basis. So Miao Fei is not the brightest cookie while the younger sister seems to inherit the brains.  And yes Pang Yi Shan is just protesting to much lol  

• LOL 1

@jadore1

Miao Fei is extremely naive.  That's why she gets such a BF.

How could she give her GF free access (spare key) to her apartment.  It is so dangerous.  And she took the opportunity to install "spy cameras" everywhere.

Xu He is the old man's name:  If I were Miao Fei (at the hospital), I would choose the stairs to escape anytime.  No need to press for the Lifts.  And from the stairs, u can walk a Floor or 2 down or up.  After that take the Lift to return.  Even if u bounce into Old Xu He, u don't have to panic.  But the way she behaves, is as though she is the one who has done something wrong.  No doubt she cares for her Father.  And don't want him to know that she has seen them.   But this is not the way to go about it.

And then after that, just stupidly do what Xu He demands.  When she knows nothing about him.  Unbelievable.  For a woman of her Wealth, I'm sure she can easily hire an Investigator to check into his background.

And I find it funny (Poor Scripts) that after her father suddenly woke up and looked shocked (because he saw Xu He at the door), she can simply leave him to go for a cuppa of Coffee???

As for the Pace of this Drama:  I got it now.  This is not An All-Out Homeland Security Crisis, where one has to race against a Ticking Time Bomb.  This is just a High-Level Commercial Espionage.  So the Degree of Urgency is different.  We don't have to mobilise the Whole Country's Resources  just to combat this crime.

Nevertheless, there are rooms for improvement

Romance :  From the concluding teasers, we can expect to enjoy some hilarious romantic scenes in the upcoming episodes.   

P/S:  You make me LOL with your El Vino & El Booze

• Thanks 1

Started watching this drama today because it has both Zhang Bin Bin & Yang Mi in it. I have seen the ability of both actors in other dramas, so I don't think they would be a disappointment in this one. Hopefully, the plot is exciting & there is some romance to spice it up a bit LOL.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 10:57 PM, hush puppy said:

5) I'm extremely disappointed with An Jing's (Yang Mi) Team.  Because when they "search" Jia Chang An's office, they "Failed" to discover the Pin-Hole Camera planted among the Books.  Very Sloppy Job by  the National Security Agency.

ep 5 subbed under my belt.  Agreed with #5 , if we can spot it they should have too LOL ...

• Love 1

On 2/25/2021 at 9:35 PM, Yinye said:

Ohhhh it is airing?!? Yey!!! Feels like we YM fans have been waiting forever. Prays for Eng subs and I will wait a bit to watch.

On 3/2/2021 at 4:03 AM, Shari said:

Started watching this drama today because it has both Zhang Bin Bin & Yang Mi in it. I have seen the ability of both actors in other dramas, so I don't think they would be a disappointment in this one. Hopefully, the plot is exciting & there is some romance to spice it up a bit LOL.

A big welcome to both of you.  Hope you enjoy "Storm Eye".  This drama is "Not Galloping" at the moment.  It "Trots".  But I believe it Will Gallop soon.

Ep 7 :  I tend to Fast Forward a lot.  But I'm minimising that now.   The Killer of Jia Chang An is "Sleeper" - sent by the Big Brother, the European Man.  I almost forget and suspect Papa Miao.

Ep 11:  We have some Romantic Moments between the 2 Leads.  They are drawing closer to each other.

Ep 12: Miao Fei finally did the right thing.  She went to the National Security Bureau.  

She is not as stupid as I initially thought she is.  She asked Ma Shang to install the Heightened Security Measures for their Network System i.e. separate R&D Department Computer Network from the other Departments.  Before she did what Old Man Xu He asked her to do.  So even if she breached the security for him, Old Man LBQQ will still be unable to get the DS Materials.

It is funny when the NS people asked her why she went the round about way to reach NS.  She said she learnt it from Movies. In order to shake off anyone tailing her. :lol:    But it was good.  She even cleverly left her 2 mobiles behind.  She should have her 2 mobiles scanned by NS for any Spy Wares.  Her office and apartment too.

Old Man Xu He

So I was right about him.  LBQQ has been disguising as Xu He right from his very first meeting with Papa Miao.  

@jadore1  While you sleep, the World has not only changed.   But has also become More Dangerous.

• LOL 1

Sharing with you all what I found in the net.

Top5, "Storm Eye"

Popularity: 67.49

Starring: Yang Mi, Zhang Binbin

It’s a little bit like watching public security dramas when I was young, like "Beijing Arrest Squad" and "The Sixth Group of Serious Cases".

It's not a brainless romance drama.  It's pretty serious. Yang Mi and Zhang Binbin's makeup is natural.  She has not changed into a Korean drama, and he has not changed into an urban idol drama.  They act naturally without acting.

All supporting actors are online. Of course, the narrative rhythm is not tight, and it is not so touching. As a positive energy popular science drama, it is still OK. It is very passionate and does not fall in every episode. I like dramas with this theme. It is very positive. I also hope that contemporary young people will watch more. This kind of drama is better than those brainless dramas.

P/S:  I'm not a Fan of both Leads. I watch as long as the Plot is good

• Love 1

@hush puppy thank you for the welcome, it's the first time someone has actually done that in the few threads I've joined. I see what you mean when you said the drama is trotting along LOL but I liking it nevertheless. I'm now getting familiar with the plot as I'm started episode 8.

To me Ma Shang & An Jing are like great minds think alike as their analysis of situations & events are so synchronized. Meanwhile, what's up with Du Meng? It appears like he has some sort of crush or hero worship of An Jing going on. Poor fella looks as though he is grasping at straws to find faults with Ma Shang that it just makes him look so silly.

OMG it's really hard to believe that LBQQ is disguising as the old man Xu He. Writers/producer really?!? Their marked height & built difference is too blatantly noticeable. I guess we viewers have to believe what they want us to believe.

As for Miao Fei's head in the sand behaviour, I hope she could realise soon that her so called best friend is no friend at all, with friends like that who needs enemies? Although she may not know it yet but their so called friendship may come in handy at some point, like the saying goes "keep your friends close and your enemies closer".

Gonna take in a few more episodes and see where the plot takes us....

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Shari said:

@hush puppy

OMG it's really hard to believe that LBQQ is disguising as the old man Xu He. Writers/producer really?!? Their marked height & built difference is too blatantly noticeable. I guess we viewers have to believe what they want us to believe.

@Shari Yes.  We all agree. Old Man Xu He & LBQQ are of different build.  And how about the Voice? Dramas are dramas.  We must be a bit naive ourselves in order to enjoy the show....

17 hours ago, jadore1 said:

@hush puppy saw raw 14....did Miao Fei find out about her girlfriend's betrayal or are they doing her apartment search as a precautionary  measure since she went to them? 

I've to delay my comments a bit for both of you to catch up.

The plot is getting more complicated and interesting.....

Ep 13:

An Jing has already told Miao Fei about Chang An's infidelity.  Don't know if she suspects her friend.

An Jing's  (Yang Mi) father was previously working in the National Security Bureau too.  10 years ago while going after a Commercial Espionage Spy, he died in a Car Accident. Her mother went "Beserked".  Which was why she suddenly left UNI and Ma Shang (Vin Chang)

Smart An Jing is now wondering if that Spy and Old Man Xu He are the same person. Because there has been no occurence of a Commercial Espionage until now- 10 years later.  (I'm very Sure that they are the same Person - Old Man Xu He).  So now An Jing has another Motivation to catch Xu He.

We are also closing in on the Rogue Insider from within Dinghua.  

Is it Pang Yi Shan?  Or Wu Miao?  Yu Hao Ran?  Or even Lao Cheng who looks so Quiet & Simple.  Which means this Rogue Insider is also "Sleeper" - the man who murdered Jia Chang An

Ep 14

Younger sister Lulu spoils everything.  Sis Miao Fei together with NSB, sets up a ruse to catch LBQQ.  But Lulu asked on the phone why their father has not been seen for some time. Then came barging into her apartment.  Setting off the Alarm for the 2 Spies. So the Female Spy quickly came to dismantle all the Pin-Hole Cameras.  And LBQQ didn't turn up.

At times we Viewers are smarter than the NSB.  I already said they should scan Fei Fei's mobiles, office and apartment for any hidden cameras and Spy Wares.  They did it for her mobiles.  But not for her office and apartment.  What kind of a NSB is that??  :o

With the Spy-Cameras removed, they could only "Brush" for Finger-Prints.  Will take a few days. for the results.

On the lighter side,  Du Meng's subordinate Lao Liu is so funny.  This Sherlock Holmes is always suspecting the wrong person - Ma Shang.  Only An Jing and Du Meng know about Ma Shang's Team.  So Lao Lu kept suspecting Ma Shang.  More so bcos Ma Shang's father has biz relationship with Dinghua.  (An Jing & Du Meng cannot say anything.  They could only sniggle in private)

Meanwhile the Rogue-Insider has already acted - stolen the DS Material.  

The Excitement should begins now.........

:gangnamstyle:

• Thanks 1

Ep 15:

An Jing's mother was in a Car Accident.  Car driven by her new bf Mr Wang (a doctor).  Her mother went "Bonkers" again.  An Jing was in an assignment.  Cannot rush to see her in the hospital.  But Du Meng later told An Jing's boss Mr Song, who then went to pacify her.

Silly Miao Fei still has not suspected her Spy/ GF Zhou Lian. This girl is Real Dense.:o

LBQQ failed to get access to the AST (Artificial Synthesis Technology) for the DS Materials. He wants to opp out.  But do you think the Hirer will allow that?  (He will definitely die in the end).  The European Boss disallow.  And then drop him the "Bomb Shell".  He has already got Access via someone else.

LBQQ was furious and asked him: "Then why did u hire me?".

An Jing at last visited her mom at the hospital

Ep 16:

Ma Shang's mum told him about An Jing's mother.  Ma Shang went visiting.  At last An Jing told Ma Shang what happened 10 years ago.  She nearly broke down.  And Ma Shang "hug" to comfort her.

Ma Shang told An Jing - not to worry.  He is grown up now and will protect her. Will help to hunt down Old Man Xu He

An Jing and Du Meng had a meeting with Miao Fei.  Miao Fei suspected Ma Shang, saying it is suspicious how he joined Dinghua at such a time; a lot happened; and how Ma Shang seems particular about security and always not in office (Silly Du Meng almost gave away the facts that MS is with them.  I think he has)

An Jing then ticks Miao Fei about her GF - Zhou Lian.  She refuses to even discuss further.  "Head In The Sand"

We can "cross out" Wu Miao as the "Sleeper".  He did what he did for personal reasons - Financial Problems.

Meanwhile Pang Yi Shan continues to apply pressure on Miao Fei.  He is out to get rid of the Last Trace of the Miao Family.  

So.... who is "Sleeper" ?   I have no idea...............  Honestly it is difficult to guess.