[Drama 2019] Be Melodramatic/Melo Is My Nature, 멜로가 체질

larus

The way they look at each other when they realize that they are both "psychos" who gave all their money away.. To be honest there are so many good scenes in this drama. They can center a whole episode about this fart joke and still get me teary in the end. I love this drama. It can turn from hilarious to emotional in a heartbeat and vice versa. 

I would love to see a second season. And that's not something i say often. Because i think many kdramas are too long. But in this case there is so much more to tell. We have so many great characters. And even though we often only see a glimpse of them they still feel alive and unique. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

On 9/22/2019 at 12:50 PM, chickfactor said:

I'm especially impressed with Han-Joo's emotional intelligence. Instead of encouraging Jae-Hoon to change his locks and kick Bad Girlfriend to the curb once and for all, she is encouraging him to try and not hate her. It's just so... emotionally generous and kind towards another human being, and not just Ha-Yoon, but Jae-Hoon as well. She knows Jae-Hoon is incapable of being cruel.

This relationship is beyond painful to watch, and I hate how Ha-Yoon has practically become a horror-movie-cliche at this point - the mere sight of her name on his phone is enough to make me groan out loud, not to mention how she sits in the dark waiting for him every night - seriously, she's become Kathy Bates in the movie "Misery!" And yet, it's lovely when he embraces her. At this point, he's not her boyfriend, it's just one human being reaching out to another.

I do want to point out that I do recognize that Ha-Yoon is ABUSIVE. She physically abuses Jae-Hoon, she trashed his home and workplace, and she manipulates him and interferes in his relationships.

I know she cheated on him too, and that is deeply disrespectful and wrong, but it's not abuse. Aside from the cheating, there are MANY reasons he cannot be in this relationship anymore.

So if I knew someone like Jae-Hoon in real life, I would be telling him to change his locks and offering him a safe place to stay. But since this is a drama, I do appreciate how they're explaining how soft-hearted and gentle he is by how he has chosen to handle it.

Can't wait until finale week! I will miss this show.

• Like 4

Jung So Min To Make Special Cameo Appearance On Final Episode Of “Melo Is My Nature”

Sep 28, 2019
by J. Lim

5a0c1f9826824ef8a53c60695fe91ef4.jpeg?s=

Jung So Min will be making a special cameo appearance as JTBC’s Friday-Saturday drama “Melo is My Nature” comes to an end!

The episode of “Melo is My Nature” that will air on September 28 gave a sneak peek of Jung So Min’s cameo appearance in the teaser video. She worked with director Lee Byung Hun on the film “Twenty,” and happily agreed to appear in the drama despite her busy schedule. She will be playing the role of actress Sun Joo, who is under the same agency that Min Joon (played by Kim Myung Joon) moves to.

In the teaser, Sun Joo appears at a hair salon with Min Joon, putting So Min (played by Lee Joo Bin) on edge with how close they appear to be. Jung So Min smiles warmly as she says, “Do you need anything?” to which So Min replies, “Min Joon is mine,” making viewers curious to know how Sun Joo’s presence will affect So Min and Min Joon.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1355505wpp/jung-so-min-to-make-special-cameo-appearance-on-final-episode-of-melo-is-my-nature

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What a great and unique finale which fits for such an amazing show. That said i could watch a lot more episodes of this. That's the great thing about slice of life and so many great characters. You never run out of stories.

• Like 5

Ah I just watched the finale and it was so unexpected but so good! Episode 15 was also really good (that whispering scene was just so awesome!!! Loved it!)

@Fabbo - I also really wish we could have a season 2... oh well... I guess all good things must come to an end.

I still need to prepare my class for tomorrow so I will write more tomorrow.

• Like 4

Watch: Chun Woo Hee, Ahn Jae Hong, And More Bid Farewell To “Melo Is My Nature” While Filming Final Scenes

Sep 30, 2019
by S. Nam

b6411194a5c34812ac623d854c09ab53.png?s=9

JTBC’s “Melo Is My Nature” has released a new making-of video of the actors filming their final scenes!

Kim Myung Joon starts off by saying, “During this long time, we were very happy.” Lee Joo Bin adds, “We started filming in spring, but now it’s already early fall. I feel sad about letting go of this character and project because I’ve grown so fond of them.”

Meanwhile, Yoon Ji On comments that he’s learned and experienced many things while filming, sharing, “Filming was so much fun that I thought, ‘Is it okay to be this happy?'” Jeon Yeo Bin also shares that the set was filled with love, saying, “Don’t go!” to the viewers while thanking them.

Han Ji Eun also thanks the directors, staff, and actors, while Gong Myung adds, “I think we finished filming with a happy heart.” The two actors ask the viewers to look forward to their future projects.

Finally, Chun Woo Hee and Ahn Jae Hong share their thoughts on the drama. Chun Woo Hee says, “Our chemistry was so good that it was referred to as a ‘crazy chemistry,’ so we’ll treasure those times and work hard to greet [viewers] with our next projects.” Ahn Jae Hong also expresses his gratitude to the staff and actors who’ve worked hard until now. He tries to wrap up by saying, “Thank you for supporting ‘Melo Is My Nature’ until now…,” but he hilariously cuts himself off after he realizes they haven’t officially finished filming yet.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1355809wpp/watch-chun-woo-hee-ahn-jae-hong-and-more-bid-farewell-to-melo-is-my-nature-while-filming-final-scenes

• Like 3

I loved every second of this series! And I will miss them terriblely in my Sunday morning routine. 

EunJung's storyline was so heartbreakingly sad but at the same time very hopeful and powerful. 

Can I just say how adorable EJ and sangSoo are?! I'm glad writer-nim choose to give them a short but such a sweet time. For EJ it was just such a healing process to meet someone so quirky and weird like SS, he was someone she needed to move forward. In my imagination they will meet in Morocco and return together to Seoul... I love this pairing so much.

Leaving here my fav BGM. It will forever remind me of their conversations and the "ordinary" life scenes. 

I will definitely watch this series again, it's already on my re-watch list :heart:

• Like 3

I just finished watching it. I loved it.

I am sure the cast, production, and everyone else involved goes on to doing more great work.

It was original. It didn't follow convention. It really was a unique voice.

I'm sorry it didn't get better ratings. But it was truly a hidden gem. At the risk of sounding like an arrogant a**, I honestly think this show was just too sophisticated for the general audience.

Here's to hoping that the low ratings don't discourage original voices.

The best thing about the show is that it really holds up on re-watch. The language is so dense that there are definitely jokes and little moments I missed.

--

Random memories in no particular order:

- Jin-Joo's sister telling her mom what a crazy B Jin-Joo is (and her mom agreeing)

- Jin-Joo's parents savagely insulting her ("What does he see in you, anyway?")

- The fart song

- "Jesus Christmas!" (Dami)

- So-Min's delightful brattiness

- When So-Min and Min-Joon kissed, the one genuinely HAWT kiss in this show

- That nutty way Station Chief yelled, "Beom-Soo Yah!" after Jin-Joo karate chopped Beom-Soo

- The Bap-Noona parody! I die.

- Han-Joo cussing at Jae-Hoon while smiling

- "Oh, come on, toilet!" Han-Joo's boss while drunk

- Shampoo song! The many versions of the shampoo song!

- In-Gook's smart mouth

- Beom-Soo's drunken dance

- The Reply 88 shout outs

- Hyo-Bong and Solbi singing (OST 8!)

- Jin-Joo running through the streets screaming after sleeping with Beom-Soo

- Eun-Jeong's reaction when Sang-Soo (Director Yah) hugged that boy

- Eun-Jeong ripping Sang-Soo a new one

- Eun-Jeong being infinitely cool, at every moment

• Like 2

- Every scene with Eun-Jeong

And is it Solbi in OST 8? There was reference about her in an episode. But i thought it is Nam Young Joo singing the OST. She the female musician who also appeared 2 times in beginning and the end of the drama.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2019 at 12:16 PM, Fabbo said:

- Every scene with Eun-Jeong

And is it Solbi in OST 8? There was reference about her in an episode. But i thought it is Nam Young Joo singing the OST. She the female musician who also appeared 2 times in beginning and the end of the drama.

Nam Young Joo is playing the character Solbi.

Be Melodramatic: Episodes 9-16 (Series review)

by SailorJumun

melodramatic-r3-00014.jpg

You guyssss, it’s over! What are we to do? Letting go of dramas is never easy, but it’s proving to be especially hard with Be Melodramatic. Mainly because I got too comfortable hanging out with our girls and their various friends and family, and I forgot that (duh) it had to end. But then, the slice-of-life genre is just that, a mere sliver of these characters’ lives, so I guess there is no true ending. It simply stops where it needs to be stopped, where the writer wants to leave us off.

All this time, our quirky writer Jin-joo has worked hard on her debut drama “It Gets Better When You Turn Thirty.” This being the actual story of her life (and the story we’ve been watching), it’s been tough for her to power through to the ending, too. She’s trying to figure out the best way to handle work, friendship, and love in fiction when she hasn’t quite figured it out in reality. As we see in this last half of the drama, it’s the odd combination of naivety and experience that make her thirties so great.

melodramatic-r3-00001.jpg

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/10/be-melodramatic-episodes-9-16-series-review/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chun Woo Hee Shares Thoughts On Taking On A Different Role Through “Melo Is My Nature”

Oct 20, 2019

de32db1a8e20431bab1500b240f3b834.jpeg?s=

In a recent interview following the end of “Melo Is My Nature,” Chun Woo Hee expressed her satisfaction for successfully challenging herself to take on a relatable role through JTBC’s “Melo Is My Nature” for the first time in her acting career.

Until now, Chun Woo Hee took on heavy roles that were rather difficult to portray. By playing Im Jin Joo in “Melo Is My Nature” and realistically portraying the life of a working woman in her 30s, Chun Woo Hee was able to gain sympathy from viewers and change her image to a more relatable one.

Chun Woo Hee said, “I’ve been buying trouble on my own. It wasn’t easy taking on such difficult roles, but I’ve also gained a lot from them.” She continued to explain, “A huge part of it is that those roles provide catharsis by letting me experience emotions that I don’t generally express in real life.”

She continued, “However, I can’t say that ‘Melo Is My Nature’ was easier than before just because it is a lighter genre. Acting is hard no matter what the role is.”

The actress added, “An actor chooses projects depending on how they are feeling and what they are interested in at the moment. Until now, I was drawn to unique roles that I had never heard of or seen before. However, I’ve recently been wanting to take on ordinary and realistic roles.” She further explained, “I coincidentally came across ‘Melo Is My Nature’ after ‘Vertigo.’ I liked that I could take on characters that are in the same age group as me, and it was interesting that the two characters have different attitudes even though they are both in their 30s and live in the same time period.” Vertigo is Chun Woo Hee’s latest film about an office worker who lives an uneasy life until she meets a special man.

more

https://www.soompi.com/article/1360018wpp/chun-woo-hee-shares-thoughts-on-taking-on-a-different-role-through-melo-is-my-nature

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I know this show is old, but I just want to report that this show really holds up on re-watch. The dialogue is dense and so funny, and it's not plot-driven, so you can pop in the middle of any episode and just enjoy it over and over.

There are other shows I love (My Ahjussi, Light in Your Eyes) - but sometimes, you're just not in for emotional devastation. Melo has moving moments, but it doesn't leave me on the floor bawling.

Viki is a good place to watch this because I love reading the comments.

https://www.viki.com/tv/36634c-melo-is-my-nature

Sometime a few weeks ago, JTBC Drama channel on Youtube was doing some sort of live streaming of the entire show and the Korean audience was commenting throughout the show, too. It was fun.

With shows I dearly love, I'm always happy to see the actors on other projects later.

The actress who played Han-Joo is in "Kkondae Intern." And the actor who played her child's father (I forgot his name, haha) is in "World of the Married Couple," (daebak hit) and "Sweet Munchies."

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/1/2019 at 2:56 AM, chickfactor said:

I just finished watching it. I loved it.

I am sure the cast, production, and everyone else involved goes on to doing more great work.

It was original. It didn't follow convention. It really was a unique voice.

I'm sorry it didn't get better ratings. But it was truly a hidden gem. At the risk of sounding like an arrogant a**, I honestly think this show was just too sophisticated for the general audience.

Here's to hoping that the low ratings don't discourage original voices.

The best thing about the show is that it really holds up on re-watch. The language is so dense that there are definitely jokes and little moments I missed.

--

Random memories in no particular order:

- Jin-Joo's sister telling her mom what a crazy B Jin-Joo is (and her mom agreeing)

- Jin-Joo's parents savagely insulting her ("What does he see in you, anyway?")

- The fart song

- "Jesus Christmas!" (Dami)

- So-Min's delightful brattiness

- When So-Min and Min-Joon kissed, the one genuinely HAWT kiss in this show

- That nutty way Station Chief yelled, "Beom-Soo Yah!" after Jin-Joo karate chopped Beom-Soo

- The Bap-Noona parody! I die.

- Han-Joo cussing at Jae-Hoon while smiling

- "Oh, come on, toilet!" Han-Joo's boss while drunk

- Shampoo song! The many versions of the shampoo song!

- In-Gook's smart mouth

- Beom-Soo's drunken dance

- The Reply 88 shout outs

- Hyo-Bong and Solbi singing (OST 8!)

- Jin-Joo running through the streets screaming after sleeping with Beom-Soo

- Eun-Jeong's reaction when Sang-Soo (Director Yah) hugged that boy

- Eun-Jeong ripping Sang-Soo a new one

- Eun-Jeong being infinitely cool, at every moment

Was thinking about this drama today & just had to create a new account so I could comment HAHA. Watched this drama earlier in 2020 & absolutely loved it! Might've screenshot the hell out of the entire drama. I love the writing, the dialogues, the characters. TBH I also agree with chickfactor that it's too sophisticated for the general k-drama audience. Not saying that general dramas are bad, but it just doesn't have the typical traits of a regular k-drama: it doesn't capture you using beautiful actors/actresses, amazing expensive attractive sets and styling, captivating storyline from the start etc. Instead, the actors aren't your typical super attractive poor/rich girl, nor do they wear expensive clothes & beautiful makeup. They are ordinary just like you and me, and your neighbour next door. This drama is really peculiar and original, very refreshing and satirical at times. While the stories are as real as what we or people around us experience, I love the honest dialogues that feel more like our inner monologues in real life, or like a heart-to-heart conversation with a close friend over drinks or just one very melancholy night, talking about relationships, what love means, admitting you're a  bad person etc. 

One of my favourite scenes is where Hanjoo goes 3000% on the aegyo blast in her working environment that is dominated by men, in response to their chauvinistic comment about how life would be easier for her if she knew how to act coy around them or ask for favours while calling them "oppa". Of course, the men are all scared off by the intensity, but it's actually the reality of many women in the workplace. I also like the scene of Jinjoo and her sister, telling her sister of the reality of life where you live constantly being in debt, but that in itself is considered being successful in society. 

I've seen a lot of Korean netizens discover this drama belatedly, with many upset they missed it while it was airing & how it's their 인생드라마 (life drama)(?) not sure what's the right term for it. It's also one of my favourite dramas ever and I've been watching dramas since I was 12 (just turned 30 this year so that makes nearly 2 decades of drama watching). I do think it takes a certain amount of life experience in order to appreciate this drama though... I'm not surprised the ratings were low and I'm sure the director knew it wouldn't be a hit since it was reflected in the thoughts about the drama they were making in the drama, which essentially is the drama itself. I also love the smart ways they incorporate PPL into scenes, especially the massage chair scene. That was hilarious!! 

The dialogues are very well written and quite deep, sometimes I had to pause to read and digest, or repeat scenes. Perhaps on a rewatch I can discover something I missed. I think that's the beauty of this drama, I heard the writer compiled 10 years worth of notes and incorporated them into this masterpiece. I like how this drama makes me laugh, cry, and draw the emotions from my own life experiences while watching, which makes it special & unique to each individual watching it. I've had a friend said one thing she learnt from this drama was how people love in different ways, & reflecting on how she had expected her boyfriend-now-husband to love her in specific ways she wanted. I also relate to the temptation of cooking ramyun to eat in the middle of the night: it's a happiness you can feel temporarily while putting aside the important thoughts on problems you need to solve. For me I think of the small moments of happiness as rest. It's important to work hard & also play hard. Also, the sad reality that sometimes love isn't enough. 

I would say this is a drama where you need to be in the right mood & phase of life to appreciate it. It would also appeal to people who have watched k-dramas for a long time & want to try something new & original. I think it's really almost impossible to have a original & unique style for k-drama, seeing how the drama pool over the past 20 years is so saturated & like Beomsoo said in the drama, writers stick to successful formulas & big-name actors/actresses simply because they work & it's easier to have high viewership. 

I'm really glad I stuck around because this is truly one of my life dramas too, alongside shows like Reply1988. I think movies/dramas/art that draw personal memories/feelings from the viewer adds onto the experience of watching a drama, & gives it a higher value. Personally, I was struggling with the pain of having a one-sided love when I was watching this drama, & it really gave me some comfort. Would 100% rewatch when I'm in the mood! Currently on Record of Youth & I think Jeongha (female lead by Park Sodam) could probably be friends with the 3 girls in this drama haha. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just happened to check some information about Lee Byeong-Hun's upcoming movie Dream:

https://asianwiki.com/Dream_(2020)

Cast
Park Seo-Joon - Yoon Hong-Dae
IU - Lee So-Min
Lee Hyun-Woo - Kim In-Sun
Kim Jong-Soo - Kim Hwan-Dong
Ko Chang-Seok - Jeon Hyo-Bong
Jung Seung-Gil - Son Beom-Soo
Yang Hyun-Min - Jeon Moon-Soo
Hong Ahn-Pyo - Young-Jin
Heo Joon-Seok - Hwang In-Kook
Lee Ha-Nee - Byeong-Sam

It's so cool how he's using so many of the character names from "Melo" in this movie!

Also, how great is this cast? I'm looking forward to this movie so much!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Jeon Yeo Bin Talks About Working With Song Joong Ki For Upcoming Drama, Reflects On Her Rise To Fame, And More

e586bacec95047318dfdf540f3565818.jpeg?s=

Jan 10, 2021
by S. P

Jeon Yeo Bin recently participated in a pictorial and interview for Elle Korea to share her thoughts on her upcoming drama, her acting career thus far, and more!

[...]

Referring back to her character of Lee Eun Jung in her previous drama “Melo is My Nature,” Jeon Yeo Bin said that similar to her character, she does her best to say what’s on her mind. “In my youth, I thought it was best to tell the truth, so I always spoke in an honest manner,” she revealed. “I slowly began to realize that I could hurt others with my words. I went to a women’s university and became friends with really kind people. They were really patient, so as I spent time with them I reflected on a lot of things.”

Jeon-Yeo-Bin-4.jpg

Jeon Yeo Bin shared more details about her university life, such as how she sat in on classes for majors other than her own. She explained, “I thought it would be a shame if I missed the opportunity to learn. There were plenty of times where I was so busy auditing other classes that I missed out on lunch with my friends due to our different timetables. I think I enjoy having shallow knowledge on a broad variety of subjects.”

The classes she audited ranged from modern dance to applied music to art. Commenting on the variety of artistic classes, Jeon Yeo Bin admitted, “It’s kind of cringeworthy, but back then I wanted to become an actress who excelled in all artistic areas. I thought that I had to have various artistic abilities. I always worried about whether or not I should take another part-time job or pick up another class during the week.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1447945wpp/jeon-yeo-bin-talks-about-working-with-song-joong-ki-for-upcoming-drama-reflects-on-her-rise-to-fame-and-more

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Slice Of Life K-Dramas That Will Change Your Life

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 14, 2021

The “slice of life” genre is often known for its ability to tell a character’s story and everyday life in a very natural narrative. It does not necessarily need the over-exciting climax or series of events to keep viewers engaged, but instead, viewers are drawn into the characters because they are relatable and have depth. There are many slice of life K-dramas, but here are the ones that might just change your life. If you haven’t watched all of these, make sure you do! You’ll be in for an introspective ride!

Disclaimer: List is in no particular order.

2. “Melo Is My Nature

Im Jin Joo (Chun Woo Hee), Lee Eun Jung (Jeon Yeo Bin), and Hwang Jan Joo (Han Ji Eun) are three women who are over 30, just trying to get through life. They are best friends who lean on each other for help and support. They all have hopes of achieving their dreams and finding love in the process, but things do not seem to always go their way.

“Melo Is My Nature” is an unpredictable series in that it does not follow your conventional K-drama norms. You have three strong female voices as the main leads, all of who are doing whatever they can to achieve their dreams while also finding love in the process. They support each other and help one another through whatever dilemma they may be going through. This type of emotional support that is shown in the series is what many viewers find solace and hope in. The characters deal with such lifelike and relevant problems that it makes it so easy for viewers to fall in love with the series!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1487182wpp/slice-of-life-k-dramas-that-will-change-your-life

• Like 1