Quantcast

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Legend of Xiao Chuo 燕云台

Ep 33 is by far my favorite!

Spoiler

I love it when a plan comes together. They killed 3 birds with one stone. Mingyi, Derang, and YanYan are unstoppable when they work together!

• Like 3
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@SC2019  If you watch the drama closely,  the queen is already pregnant with her 3rd child when the emperor brought back the concubine.  Which is even worse.  Having another woman when your wife is pr

@hell59, @SC2019, @baiqian - Thank you all for your emergence in this thread.  It's so quiet here.  I'm about to give up already     @baiqian Let's agree to disagree. And with this ope

Just finished ep 38.  Men are Men.  Their Love seldom last.   The Queen is tirelessly helping to do his Work.  So that he can relax.  And he found a Concubine for himself instead.      

Just finished ep 38.  Men are Men.  Their Love seldom last.   The Queen is tirelessly helping to do his Work.  So that he can relax.  And he found a Concubine for himself instead.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1

I've been reading some reviews and historical facts.  It seems the Emperor don't really love Yan Yan.  It's more Needs than Love. As is always the case for emperors.  The Concubine is his true love.  When he met the Concubine, he realised what "True Love" feels like - so Lovely.  The Concubine is so Gentle, Affectionate and Subordinate to him. Unlike Yan Yan.   He realise what it is like to tear a pair lovebirds apart.  And he wants Yan Yan to be with Derang again.

The Queen, unable to escape her Marriage to the Emperor because of Responsibility, decided to devote her Energy and Attention to the country instead.  She kept her affections for Derang in her Heart.  In History, she bore 7 Children for the Emperor.  In this Drama only 3.

In History, she married Derang. When she died, Han Derang also died a year later.  They were truly in love.  Their Sacrifices: for the Emperor, and  the Nation is really too Much, too Heartbreaking.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, hush puppy said:

I've been reading some reviews and historical facts.  It seems the Emperor don't really love Yan Yan.  It's more Needs than Love. As is always the case for emperors.  The Concubine is his true love.  When he met the Concubine, he realised what "True Love" feels like - so Lovely.  The Concubine is so Gentle, Affectionate and Subordinate to him. Unlike Yan Yan.   He realise what it is like to tear a pair lovebirds apart.  And he wants Yan Yan to be with Derang again.

The Queen, unable to escape her Marriage to the Emperor because of Responsibility, decided to devote her Energy and Attention to the country instead.  She kept her affections for Derang in her Heart.  In History, she bore 7 Children for the Emperor.  In this Drama only 3.

In History, she married Derang. When she died, Han Derang also died a year later.  They were truly in love.  Their Sacrifices: for the Emperor, and  the Nation is really too Much, too Heartbreaking.

So do you think that at the end of this drama the queen and Derang will not be together? That's usually how most Chinese historic dramas end, in a heartbreak!

On 11/17/2020 at 10:35 AM, hush puppy said:

You are exactly right! He manipulated and separated them both and found happiness for himself!

• Like 2
On 11/18/2020 at 9:21 AM, hush puppy said:

I came to this forum wanting to gripe about this and found that you had done it already [prior to this, I have had nothing against the Emperor; he may not have always listened to the Empress and he made a few bad judgements but he placed the interests of the people forefront, and he tried to be understanding and respectful of the Empress]. I too was discontented with the fact that he hid the fact from her and she had to find it out from her vengeful sister (who was doing it more out of spite, than sisterly love). Imagine the disappointment of slaving away, bearing the weight of the kingdom on your shoulders and having the Emperor confide that he had idle time on his hands and finally had the time to enjoy in the pleasures of the flesh.

He pointed out that the concubine was very different from the Empress - so it's ok to take another woman in your arms as long as she is different, because you now have too much time on your hands and you can't bother your wife to tend to you, someone whom you claimed to love, because you have passed the burden of responsibility to her? What sort of justification is that from an Emperor, who is supposed to be wise? I would say that's pure selfishness; yes you are human, yes you have needs, but two wrongs don't make a right. As a matter of role reversal, she's become the man of the house so to speak, so you should take care of her then and persist at it! Instead you go behind her back and indulge in yourself?

Yes, even from the very start, he needed her. It wasn't really out of romantic love. He needed someone who could help him keep a stronghold on the political situation and a wimpy woman by his side wouldn't have cut it. He knew he wasn't healthy and in his vision, he was hoping she would take over the reigns from him. But that is being selfish, frankly. From a nationalistic stand-point, duty to people kinda thinking, that makes sense, but to Yan Yan as a person, that is pure selfishness. And that can't jolly well be called love. If you wanna call it strategy, fine, you wanna call it duty, agree. But love, no way. So drop that act, mister! 

I hope the ending sees the Empress with De Rang. If they stay true to history, then this storyline is possible @hell59. Looking at how De Rang behaves in this drama, even in the scene where his wife was poisoned, he was being considerate of Yan Yan, not that he wanted to push her away, but he knew her too well and didn't want her to get implicated further - now that is real love. And I hope the Emperor redeems himself. In his dying breath, he pulls Yan Yan and De Rang together, and tells them that he apologises for being a prick, and gives them his blessings to reclaim the love that he took away from them. Be a man, for heaven's sakes. Besides, a general by her side who has brawn and brains would certainly keep the political wolves at bay.

Btw, where is the 3rd child? I only saw a son and a daughter so far :P

• Like 3

I feel I have a different take on Mingyi.

He's a flawed but good person. He's a morally grey and I think that's what makes his character appealing to some like me. I like a character that feels human. I do believe that Mingyi genuineIy loved her even though he knew it was more one sided. I believe he just got so worn down by the weight of the crown and he probably felt guilty even ashamed to have Yan Yan handling all his duties at court. Mingyi was looking for an oasis, he needed a place to escape from all his problems and found that with the new concubine.  Is that selfish? Yes but I'd argue that he knows he doesn't have much longer to live either so he's like screwed it I'm going to live on my terms. Derang's character much like the Korean King in "Empress Ki" was bland. It's the writing not the actors fault.  The Emperor in "Empress Ki",was so multilayered and flawed like Mingyi.  I'm just sort of drawn to characters with that kind of depth. It helps that Jing Chao and Ji Chang Wook acted the heck out of their respected emperor's. I didn't feel the chemistry between Tiffany and Shawn at all. They were more like siblings or best friends not lovers. Honestly Shawn had more on screen chemistry with his male costar Jing Chao. I'm not into BL dramas but I'd watch one starring those two.

• Like 2

@hell59, @SC2019, @baiqian - Thank you all for your emergence in this thread.  It's so quiet here.  I'm about to give up already:(

7 hours ago, baiqian said:

He's a flawed but good person. He's a morally grey and I think that's what makes his character appealing to some like me. I like a character that feels human. I do believe that Mingyi genuineIy loved her even though he knew it was more one sided. I believe he just got so worn down by the weight of the crown and he probably felt guilty even ashamed to have Yan Yan handling all his duties at court. Mingyi was looking for an oasis, he needed a place to escape from all his problems and found that with the new concubine.  Is that selfish? Yes but I'd argue that he knows he doesn't have much longer to live either so he's like screwed it I'm going to live on my terms.starring those two.

@baiqian Let's agree to disagree. And with this opening note, I would have to disagree with you.

Which character is not flawed?  All human beings are flawed bcos "No Man Is  Perfect". The difference - only in Degree.  But Society (Men & Women, father and mothers, sisters and brothers...) always "pamper" the males too much. We tend to give excuses to Men when they do wrong. In my opinion, this should change.  It's already 21 Centuries in passing.  And Society has not changed.

I've said it before in my earlier post.  As long as he can tear a "Lovebirds" apart, to achieve his goal, he is not a good person in my eyes anymore.

1) He has made his plans long ago before he met Yan Yan Don't tell me he cannot succeed without her?  It's just that he happened to meet her.  And so he changed his plans.

2) After getting Yan Yan into his nest, he has to "spy" on Derang - under the guise of "protecting him".  But he passed the info to that infatuated girl - Li Si.   So that she can find and stick herself to Derang. (That is to make sure that Yan Yan & Derang can never get the chance to be together again.  He is so Manipulative, Cruel and Selfish.  Luckily he is "Sicko".  Otherwise he won't be this nice. The only Grace he has is - he is not a Tyrant Emperor).

And when "gossips" and "rumours" about his Queen and Han Derang started milling, he has to get Derang married.  All under the excuses of the Country.  Country? Humbag!.  His Reign,  His Kingdom is more like it.

3) "He is worned down by the weight of the "crown" ?

Yan Yan is not "worned down"?  She has to take care of a sick husband, carry a baby in her belly for 9months, take care of her 2 children, runs the country.  And tell me.  Which is not caused by him?  Whether it is about "babies" or "country", it is all generated by him. 

He said his concubine makes him forget that he is the emperor. Just a man and enjoying a normal life.  How about Yan Yan? Does she get the luxury to do that?

All the "in-fightings" is also generated by him taking the throne.  The murder of Yan Yan's father Siwen is also caused by him.  He never listen to Yan Yan's advice.  But took him on a hunting trip - the best place to get killed.

And..... don't forget he also turned Han Derang's father into a "Criminal" and almost had him executed, if not for the intervention by Yan Yan.  He is a "coward".  When all the officials asked for his execution, he agreed.  And he was the one who triggered the problem.  As Yan Yan said: "You are too impatient to promote him to a General.  If you had him executed, you will regret it one day"

Derang's father has no experience in Warfare.  That is why he succumbed to the enemy's trap and was defeated.

I say if you cannot run a country by yourself - health or brains, don't take the throne. Do not ruin a young lady's life.  I believe he also has Vengence in his bones: for the murder of his Parents, the Castration of his younger brother, for the lifelong surveillance on himself

Otherwise Yan Yan would be living a blissful life with Han Derang.  I have no Sympathy for this kind of character.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, SC2019 said:

I hope the ending sees the Empress with De Rang. If they stay true to history, then this storyline is possible @hell59. Looking at how De Rang behaves in this drama, even in the scene where his wife was poisoned, he was being considerate of Yan Yan, not that he wanted to push her away, but he knew her too well and didn't want her to get implicated further - now that is real love. And I hope the Emperor redeems himself. In his dying breath, he pulls Yan Yan and De Rang together, and tells them that he apologises for being a prick, and gives them his blessings to reclaim the love that he took away from them. Be a man, for heaven's sakes. Besides, a general by her side who has brawn and brains would certainly keep the political wolves at bay.

Btw, where is the 3rd child? I only saw a son and a daughter so far :P

@SC2019  If you watch the drama closely,  the queen is already pregnant with her 3rd child when the emperor brought back the concubine.  Which is even worse.  Having another woman when your wife is pregnant with your child.  Ep 40 did not show the delivery of her 3rd child though.

I believe this drama will show Yan Yan and Han Derang getting together but with no wedding ceremony. Just a very low-key celebrations under the guise of his son's ascension to the throne.

In History, Yan Yan is the 3rd Queen to re-marry.  2 Queens before her has done that.  So it is not such a Scandal or Taboo in Khitan's royal history and culture

• Like 5

@hush puppy I frankly skipped quite a few episodes so I didn't catch onto as many details as you did. At the end of the day, the Emperor felt that the ends justified the means, and we both feel that it is not necessarily the case. @baiqian that same idea ran through my head, "since I don't have much time left, may as well enjoy what's left of my life"- I don't necessarily approve of what he did but I suppose I can empathise with why he did it. And though he wasn't mean to Yan Yan, he was cowardly in hiding the matter from her, he didn't know how to break the news to her after putting her through that much.

Just watched that part in E41 - and my wish came true, though he didn't succeed in joining both hands together!

• Like 3

Finished watching E43-44 tonight. Is it really lonely being at the top? That's what my ex-CEO used to day. Seems like this show is sending the same vibes to viewers. One by one, those near and dear to her have left her, making her doubt herself.

I am glad that when Yan Yan needed comfort the most, for the first time in many episodes, the show has allowed De Rang to finally blurt out that his feelings for Yan Yan have not changed. It's playing out as a historical drama, so this is not the right place for those looking for romantic vibes, but I have been wondering when/ if the show is ever going to even hint at Yan Yan having any feelings for De Rang after all these years (there are only four episodes left). We shall see. 

• Like 2
On 11/19/2020 at 5:04 PM, baiqian said:

He's a flawed but good person. He's a morally grey and I think that's what makes his character appealing to some like me. I like a character that feels human. I do believe that Mingyi genuineIy loved her even though he knew it was more one sided. I believe he just got so worn down by the weight of the crown and he probably felt guilty even ashamed to have Yan Yan handling all his duties at court. Mingyi was looking for an oasis, he needed a place to escape from all his problems and found that with the new concubine.  Is that selfish? Yes but I'd argue that he knows he doesn't have much longer to live either so he's like screwed it I'm going to live on my terms. Derang's character much like the Korean King in "Empress Ki" was bland. It's the writing not the actors fault.  The Emperor in "Empress Ki",was so multilayered and flawed like Mingyi.  I'm just sort of drawn to characters with that kind of depth. It helps that Jing Chao and Ji Chang Wook acted the heck out of their respected emperor's. I didn't feel the chemistry between Tiffany and Shawn at all. They were more like siblings or best friends not lovers. Honestly Shawn had more on screen chemistry with his male costar Jing Chao. I'm not into BL dramas but I'd watch one starring those two.

Nice to see someone who loves layered character :) yea, that’s why I also love MingYi as well. I agree with everything you said. And not going to bother further because the other team is just going to be “agree to disagree” and proceed to call MingYi by various names, and love their bland MLs :p

• Like 2
On 11/20/2020 at 8:15 AM, SC2019 said:

Finished watching E43-44 tonight. Is it really lonely being at the top? That's what my ex-CEO used to day. Seems like this show is sending the same vibes to viewers. One by one, those near and dear to her have left her, making her doubt herself.

I am glad that when Yan Yan needed comfort the most, for the first time in many episodes, the show has allowed De Rang to finally blurt out that his feelings for Yan Yan have not changed. It's playing out as a historical drama, so this is not the right place for those looking for romantic vibes, but I have been wondering when/ if the show is ever going to even hint at Yan Yan having any feelings for De Rang after all these years (there are only four episodes left). We shall see. 

Watch episodes 45 and 46 on youtube and you will find your answer! But there are still 2 more episodes left. I wonder how it's going to end?

• Like 1
On 11/22/2020 at 3:49 AM, hell59 said:

Watch episodes 45 and 46 on youtube and you will find your answer! But there are still 2 more episodes left. I wonder how it's going to end?

Check your PM

• Like 1

Hunian is my favorite character out of all the characters in this show and they couldn't even let her experience a little bit of happiness? No children, both her lovers died, her sister died. I just... Ugh. 

• Like 1

The more I think about this drama the more it reminds me of the kdrama historical epic Empress Ki.  From the romantized history to the convoluted love triangle. I just hate it when dramas do love triangles that didn't exist in reality. Most of the characters are well written and well acted but there's only so much a actor can do with a mediocre script. Both dramas started out strong but slowed down after the big battle against their enemies and their triumph. The later episodes feel like filler. Mingyi and Hunian portrayed beautifully by Jing Chao,and Charmaine Sheh,are the Legend of Xiao Chuo's saving grace. Just like the Emperor portrayed brilliantly by Ji Chang Wook in Empress Ki was that dramas saving grace.

On 11/23/2020 at 10:25 AM, Sirry Usly said:

Hunian is my favorite character out of all the characters in this show and they couldn't even let her experience a little bit of happiness? No children, both her lovers died, her sister died. I just... Ugh. 

Yup. The poor woman.

6 hours ago, baiqian said:

Mingyi and Hunian portrayed beautifully by Jing Chao,and Charmaine Sheh,are the Legend of Xiao Chuo's saving grace.

Yansage was compelling for me as well in addition to those two.

The ending, to me at least, made it seem as though Hunian was the lead. 

Unfortunately I came away from the show disappointed in its portrayal of this great empress. I didn’t get any greatness from this Xiao Yanyan and towards the end she was reduced to mere empty talk verging on hypocrisy and bad makeup, with pettiness or even snottiness thrown in to further diminish the character.

I couldn’t help but feel that much of the dislike the empress et al (so to speak) had for Hunian’s boyfriend stemmed from his humble background. 

Oh well.

Happy Thanksgiving.