[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Legend of Xiao Chuo 燕云台

sugarplum892

59 minutes ago, baiqian said:

Given who YanYan was and her royal status she couldn't just marry whoever the heck she wanted.

In history she wasn't unhappy with the emperor and had no problem marrying him. Why complicated the plot for drama sake.

In history, she was betrothed to Han De Rang at first. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bluehibiscus said:

In history, she was betrothed to Han De Rang at first. 

Is it really? Wiki page of her is very limited. So in Chinese history book, she was betrothed to Han Derang? And later? Did she marry him like the drama?

2 hours ago, baiqian said:

I'm watching for Ming Yi as well. He feels so real!  Many people to see him as the guy it stole his best friend's girl but in reality she was supposed to marry into the emperor's clan. Given who YanYan was and her royal status she couldn't just marry whoever the heck she wanted. I truly believe Ming Yi had his country's best interest at heart when he chose her he saw her passion for politics her love of country and knew she make a perfect Queen.   Well Han Derang sees her as his greatest love Ming Yi sees her as an equal someone who will help him rule.  Plus with Ming Yi's brother being castrated Ming Yi has to produce heirs.  I just hate over complicated love triangles it's is bad as Empress Ki. In history she wasn't unhappy with the emperor and had no problem marrying him. Why complicated the plot for drama sake.

Wow! Glad to meet you! Not sure if many see that POV as you and I! I read comment on YouTube, and they are so nasty toward MingYi. Even in the drama, MingYi has said his health is deteriorating, and he needs to put his country in a hand of a capable someone. Passing it to any of the princes or next in line will cause chaos, but passing it down to his bloodline is more stable. Plus YanYan is truly brilliant in her political views, and MingYi in a sense has asked Han Derang his POV. He did not make that decision lightly, but he knew it was the right one to make. So many people got so caught up in the romance (yes I know it’s a romantic drama so love must trump over everything >_>) that they just can’t see the logics that the king has to make. Same goes with the promise of chang’an lol. So many hated the king and mingyu, and think the ML deserve to be king because he has integrity. 

Just watch 20 and 21, gosh MingYi’s scenes with YanYan are just too cute. Too bad there ain’t going to be scenes where she’s falling in love with him because the fans will be up roaring lol. Must be pure of heart and love 1 man only >_> let’s not trying to love our husbands and daydream of our first love because that’s how human works xD

18 hours ago, Alila N said:

Is it really? Wiki page of her is very limited. So in Chinese history book, she was betrothed to Han Derang? And later? Did she marry him like the drama?

Many Chinese websites talk about Xiao Yan Yan and Han De Rang but their reliability may be questionable. You can try to use Google autotranslate to read them.

According to some Song Dynasty books, the two were betrothed when Yan Yan was young. But these are apparently considered unofficial records (not written by authorised officials. Unofficial records may or may not contain an element of truth) as this article (about the tombs of Han De Rang’s adopted sons) said that official records do not mention this.

Baidu Baike pages on Xiao Yan Yan and Han De Rang. https://baike.baidu.com/item/萧燕燕/559897

https://baike.baidu.com/item/韩德让/2447184

It was said that after the Emperor died, to get Han De Rang’s support, she told him, “l used to be betrothed to you, now I’m willing to resume our relationship, the young Emperor (her son who was 12 years old then) is your son.” This is probably from unofficial records.

As to whether they married, there was probably no wedding ceremony. I read that in the 6th year of Emperor Shengzong’s reign, Xiao Yan Yan held a feast for all the officials at Han De Rang’s residence. This was later speculated by some people to be a wedding feast in disguise but I guess no one now knows for sure if it really was.

An official record about the Chanyuan Treaty described that a Song messenger saw them sitting side by side in a camel carriage.

There were also claims that Shengzong allowed Han De Rang to be buried beside Xiao Yan Yan’s tomb after his death. Not sure how true this is.

The Wiki page for Xiao Yan Yan was edited by someone who believes Han De Rang (941-1011) is a fictional character based on Han Yan Hui (882-959) but this Wiki about Han Zhao Rong references the families of Han De Rang and Han Yan Hui as two different families in different prefectures and the article about the tombs of Han De Rang’s adopted sons said Han De Rang did exist.

5 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

Many Chinese websites talk about Xiao Yan Yan and Han De Rang but their reliability may be questionable. You can try to use Google autotranslate to read them.

According to some Song Dynasty books, the two were betrothed when Yan Yan was young. But these are apparently considered unofficial records (not written by authorised officials. Unofficial records may or may not contain an element of truth) as this article (about the tombs of Han De Rang’s adopted sons) said that official records do not mention this.

Baidu Baike pages on Xiao Yan Yan and Han De Rang. https://baike.baidu.com/item/萧燕燕/559897

https://baike.baidu.com/item/韩德让/2447184

It was said that after the Emperor died, to get Han De Rang’s support, she told him, “l used to be betrothed to you, now I’m willing to resume our relationship, the young Emperor (her son who was 12 years old then) is your son.” This is probably from unofficial records.

As to whether they married, there was probably no wedding ceremony. I read that in the 6th year of Emperor Shengzong’s reign, Xiao Yan Yan held a feast for all the officials at Han De Rang’s residence. This was later speculated by some people to be a wedding feast in disguise but I guess no one now knows for sure if it really was.

An official record about the Chanyuan Treaty described that a Song messenger saw them sitting side by side in a camel carriage.

There were also claims that Shengzong allowed Han De Rang to be buried beside Xiao Yan Yan’s tomb after his death. Not sure how true this is.

The Wiki page for Xiao Yan Yan was edited by someone who believes Han De Rang (941-1011) is a fictional character based on Han Yan Hui (882-959) but this Wiki about Han Zhao Rong references the families of Han De Rang and Han Yan Hui as two different families in different prefectures and the article about the tombs of Han De Rang’s adopted sons said Han De Rang did exist.

Lol, thanks. Yes, one of those up to imagination. It seems reasonable, a woman of her power needs the support of a strong governor, and if being with him gives her that support, then it’s great! Plus when her husband die, he was only 35something, so she was still quite young xD and it’s understandable why there is no official record as these sort of things are better open secret than officially on the face of everyone.

I do wish they show how she falls in love with her husband (you gotta especially when you don’t know how long you will be together for), and how she’s more matured up, and then fall in love with Han Derang again. Because the trope I’ll forever love you unchanging is really old. And I’m not asking for realistic but seriously, we human have multiple loves, and our love changes over time. But if they do show it this way, I’m sure the fans will call her $lut >_<

8 hours ago, Alila N said:

Garrrrrrr! The dramalist comment section is making my blood boil! The fan girls are displaying their age is of 10!

I totally feel you!  It's overwhelmingly one sided over there. They'll about love and true love wins the day and to hell with duty. Ming Yi has become enemy of the state 1# to them.

So far to me one of the stand out performances so far is Jing Chao as MingYi. His acting as MingYi is full of such great character depth.  He won me over from day one. Just like Ji Chang Wook did as the Emperor in the Korean drama Empress Ki. I find it kind of funny at how tall Jing Chao is in comparison to the other actors. 

17 hours ago, baiqian said:

I totally feel you!  It's overwhelmingly one sided over there. They'll about love and true love wins the day and to hell with duty. Ming Yi has become enemy of the state 1# to them.

So far to me one of the stand out performances so far is Jing Chao as MingYi. His acting as MingYi is full of such great character depth.  He won me over from day one. Just like Ji Chang Wook did as the Emperor in the Korean drama Empress Ki. I find it kind of funny at how tall Jing Chao is in comparison to the other actors. 

Haha yea. I was watching white hair princess, and Jing Chao won me over in that series, that’s why I’m keen on this series lol. No offend to Tiffany’s fans but she has always just been ok for me, something about the chemistry between her and her costar just isn’t there for me. She’s pretty though I have to admit, so when the plot is decent, her drama isn’t bad to watch.

and yes, for a sickly person, MingYi is not only tower over everyone else but also more muscled :lol: every time he stands up, I’m like it’s his gene, he was born buffed! Big bones and what’s not! He’s still a sickly person :lol:

On 11/12/2020 at 10:58 PM, bluehibiscus said:

I think MDL has a substantial young base and younger viewers tend to be more idealistic.

There’s idealistic and there’s ... lol. Pretty sure atm it feels like the grp that’s on that page is like 10 >_>

I just finished ep 15.  A very exciting ep.  With the emperor just killed.  And all the contenders fighting for the Throne.

The opening ep (ep 1) is not so impressive.   I almost didn't continue. Surprised to find this thread so quiet.

Whatever it is, it is still Sad when the Love Birds are forced to separate.  So the uproar by Viewers is only natural.  I also feel sad for Han Derang.  He is such an All-Round Gentleman.  But Fate is Fate.  At times, you just cannot win over Destiny - and those with better Status.

Mingyi is All Brains.   Yansage is All Brawns.

I'm watching for Shawn Dou.  He is a good Actor - very Imposing and natural.  Whenever I'm watching him, I forgot that this is a drama, acting. He makes you feel that you are actually there with him. Very rare talent.

What do you think is wrong with Mingyi? He states before that he was always a sickly child and his body has never been strong. It also seemed like his uncle the horrible emperor was poisoning him.  Personally I think it's both the poison and whatever illness he has. I speculate it's probably a heart problem due to the fact that he faints every time he seems to get agitated or doesn't get enough rest. My mom has a heart condition and has a dry cough just like Mingyi's because of it. 

I just finished ep 25. 

The emperor is very silly.  The empress already warned him of how others will be jealous of his father.  And he took him for a Hunt instead.  With not enough reliable soldiers to protect them. That's the best place to kill them both.  And when some people kept preventing you from getting to your companion, the Prime Minister Siwen, then you should know that something is wrong with these people.  Suddenly he cannot read the situation and people.

Another stereo-typed scene is with people who kept talking without reading the Listener's face or situation. The eldest sis kept blabbing to the Emperor without reading that he is troubled.

Thats the problems with Dramas.  It is always the same in every drama.  They choose to be Smart and Stupid as and when the Scriptwriters want them to be.  Not for the sake of a sensible plot.  Scriptwriters do not grow up.  

Pls do not hate me.  But I don't like Jing Chao.  I know he has a lot of fans here and I respect yr choice. Just how I feel. That's all.  Peace ok

On 11/15/2020 at 9:40 AM, baiqian said:

What do you think is wrong with Mingyi? He states before that he was always a sickly child and his body has never been strong. It also seemed like his uncle the horrible emperor was poisoning him.  Personally I think it's both the poison and whatever illness he has. I speculate it's probably a heart problem due to the fact that he faints every time he seems to get agitated or doesn't get enough rest. My mom has a heart condition and has a dry cough just like Mingyi's because of it. 

@baiqian  I just finished ep 32.  Mingyi was fed Poisons wll these years. Arranged by Yansage.  He had one of the Concubines exchange his medicine for Poisons.  So he definitely cannot survive for long.

So Yansage is the Biggest Culprit in this Drama. He not only has Brawns, but also a wicked and ruthless heart. He does not care for his In-Laws at all.  The murder of Siwen, the poisoning of Mingyi and now the poisoning of Mingyi's infant son.

As a Point of Interest, I find it Funny how a Pregnant Express can take part in killing using Arrows, 2 of his Father's murderers (or rather accomplices).  Isn't it a Taboo for a Pregnant Lady to do that?  It is bad for the foetus isn't it?

1 hour ago, hush puppy said:

@baiqian  I just finished ep 32.  Mingyi was fed Poisons wll these years. Arranged by Yansage.  He had one of the Concubines exchange his medicine for Poisons.  So he definitely cannot survive for long.

So Yansage is the Biggest Culprit in this Drama. He not only has Brawns, but also a wicked and ruthless heart. He does not care for his In-Laws at all.  The murder of Siwen, the poisoning of Mingyi and now the poisoning of Mingyi's infant son.

As a Point of Interest, I find it Funny how a Pregnant Express can take part in killing using Arrows, 2 of his Father's murderers (or rather accomplices).  Isn't it a Taboo for a Pregnant Lady to do that?  It is bad for the foetus isn't it?

Where did you watch ep 32? I'm watching on the WeTv VIP

OMG, I thought Han De Rang was a fictional character just to add story about love triangle. Looks like he is a real character.

But given that in history, Yanyan x Mingyi son will become the next emperor, does this mean that they will eventually fall in love with each other. I actually like Mingyi, other than separating Yanyan x Derang, he has been very respectful and loving towards Yanyan.

The one I couldn't stand is Wuguli. Since the beginning she has done nothing but whining all for the sake of her own love. She doesn't even consider nor grateful to what her sisters have done for her and instead fell into self pity because she couldn't be Queen and her sisters got better chance at being Queen. 

Why is Soompi Thread so quiet nowadays?

7 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

I actually like Mingyi, other than separating Yanyan x Derang, he has been very respectful and loving towards Yanyan.

The one I couldn't stand is Wuguli. Since the beginning she has done nothing but whining all for the sake of her own love. She doesn't even consider nor grateful to what her sisters have done for her and instead fell into self pity because she couldn't be Queen and her sisters got better chance at being Queen. 

@shihuangdi  That is the Worst.  Separating a pair of Lovebirds.  Imagine if it happens to you? He may be a good guy.  But I don't like this type of person.  He could at least have the Decency to discuss it with Han Derang.  Even if he cannot agree. But at least you have tried.

It never pays to be an Emperor's friend. They are always Selfish.

Wuguli?  Nobody likes her.  Partly her eldest sister's fault. She never correct her. She spoils her from young.

Ep 35 is good.  Come on everybody.  Must see - A Pregnant Empress went to War - to save her Ex-Love. This is the only Highlight for me so far.

This drama fails to live up to it's Hype. Unlike other Legendary Epics.  It lacks a certain "Oomph".  Due to the way it is directed I think.  Somehow the Excitement, The Grandeur is not there. 

So far the outstanding performances come from the Actor who acted as Yansega and Shawn Dou. Both the Emperor and Empress do not impress.  

China's History is so sorrowful.  Her rich natural resources, manpower and culture always tempt others to covet her : Mongols, Manchus, Thitans ... and of course, Japan, Britain and other European Powers eventually.

But when China takes back Ownership, the Minorities made so much accusations.  And the rest of the world side with them. Very pitiful.:(

What do you all say?

Archived