[Drama 2019] Love Affair in the Afternoon, 평일 오후 세시의 연인

0ly40

On 6/21/2019 at 4:41 AM, irilight said:

extramarital affairs. The drama is a story of escalation. As in the original, housewives Ji-eun (played by Park Ha-sun) and Soo-ah (played by Ye Ji-won) goad each other into having sexual love affairs with predictably dramatic results.

Two women daring each other to be sleazy? Hmmph. It does not sound like something I would sympathise or could empathise with. They seem to have children too.

Be careful whom you befriend? 

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@maribella You pointed out something I missed when I initially read the article, as I thought it was saying the Japanese counterparts in the original goaded each other into having affairs. If so, it does cast a very different light to the couples, especially if it is supposed to be a game. I had assumed that the Korean, while similar in premise, would differ in the characters and motivations of the affairs. Can those who have watched the original tell us whether the characters are similar in background to the original as well?

9 hours ago, maribella said:

Two women daring each other to be sleazy? Hmmph. It does not sound like something I would sympathise or could empathise with. They seem to have children too.

Yes, this article points out something we have not seen before elsewhere.....
Not sure if both of  the ladies have kids..

Regarding that one statement in the article about how they " goad each other into having sexual love affairs," we do not yet know if that is in fact the case....

Furthermore, we do not know, even if it is true, how it is done....  i.e. It could have been a statement made jokingly, or teasingly...

I was not even aware that the two women know each other, and may be friends?.. Was that the case in the Japanese drama too?  I wonder....

What I read on the internet is that for Japanese version, the one working in supermarket got caught stealing a lipstick in the supermarket by the other woman. And she used her to help create alibi for her own afternoon affairs (every weekday at 3 pm). In doing so, the other one got into having affairs as well.

But there is a major difference in that the first woman having affair is with an unmarried man, whereas in Korean version is with a married man. There will be a different kind of emotions involved.

7 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

But there is a major difference in that the first woman having affair is with an unmarried man, whereas in Korean version is with a married man. There will be a different kind of emotions involved.

ahhh. Thank you @ktcjdrama, for sharing with us about the Japanese version....

I want to believe it will be a quality drama,  matching the quality cast we have here... :wub:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dce494bccb564651a7551ead572a1dea.jpeg?s=

Lee Sang Yeob And Park Ha Sun Praise Each Other’s Acting In Upcoming Drama About Forbidden Love

Co-stars Park Ha Sun and Lee Sang Yeob are full of compliments for each other!

Their upcoming drama “Love Affairs in the Afternoon” (working title) is a remake of the Japanese drama “Hirugao: Love Affairs in the Afternoon,” which follows the stories of adults who engage in extramarital affairs.

Park Ha Sun will play the sincere, average woman Son Ji Eun, and Lee Sang Yeob will play the boyish, innocent man Yoon Jung Woo. After coincidentally meeting each other one day, they go through excruciatingly repetitive daily routines and completely twisted experiences. Their innocent yet fatal love story unfolds throughout the drama.

The production crew asked about their teamwork, and Park Ha Sun replied that Lee Sang Yeob is Yoon Jung Woo himself. Yoon Jung Woo is like Peter Pan who loves all life on Earth. She explained, “Lee Sang Yeob is very detailed and careful. He is an actor with a good gaze. When I look at him, it is as if I am looking at Yoon Jung Woo.”

She added, “Perhaps it’s because of that, but we don’t have to practice our teamwork, and we can just fit together naturally. Since Yoon Jung Woo is really here at the filming site, I am able to immerse myself into Son Ji Eun and react naturally.”

Park-Ha-Sun-Lee-Sang-Yeob-1-768x497.jpg

In turn, Lee Sang Yeob started off by saying that he is blessed to have many good co-stars and praised, “Park Ha Sun is a wonderful actress who shines with just her presence. She is full of emotion and acting [skills]. With this drama, I think the era of Park Ha Sun as a melodrama actress will begin.”

He added that they cause bloopers sometimes because of their similar personalities and good teamwork. He commented, “We both laugh a lot. There are many times we caused bloopers because we could not hold in our laughter.”

Park-Ha-Sun-Lee-Sang-Yeob-2-768x497.jpg

“Love Affairs in the Afternoon” will premiere on July 5 at 11 p.m. KST.

source

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please make sure to "like" the article and comment on it. It could help getting the drama licensed by Viki.

Also - please continue to submit license requests to Viki.

https://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form/

On 6/23/2019 at 5:57 PM, liddi said:

Japanese counterparts in the original goaded each other into having affairs. If so, it does cast a very different light to the couples, especially if it is supposed to be a game.

I did not see it that way, but just my pov

Spoiler

The circumstances that the two women were in mostly influenced their decisions to have an affair. The women (the cashier, the publisher's wife, the biology teacher's wife) who originally did not know each other got acquainted through their shopping at the supermart where one of the women was working there as a checkout cashier. The subject of affairs first came up during a dinner party when the rich wife invited the cashier, her office manager husband and the artist who also worked publishing art articles at the publisher's company to support himself and his art work. The publisher then said that an article published by his company was about the wives having afternoon affairs. It was here where the rich wife and the artist started the flirting which eventually led to an affair. That was not the first affair for the publisher's wife who had an affair with a much younger man who worked at the same supermarket with the cashier, got obsessed with her but got ditched. So, for her, having an affair was a game to entertain her boredom until she fell in love with the artist and wanted a permanent relationship with him. The biology teacher and the cashier's affair was slow to develop as they were both married and theirs was a series of chance encounters and conversations where they slowly found that they were compatible in their mentality, the basis of their attraction but the source of their distress because they were aware of their marriage obligations. The cashier also did not know that her new friend, the biology professor/lecturer/researcher was married to the biology teacher she has fallen in love with. The one husband who had an affair was the husband of the cashier who treated his wife like his maid and called her mama even when the wife hated being called that. The biology teacher's wife  had more earning power than the husband, a career oriented woman and a rich man's daughter. But yes when the  wives had a get together, the subject of  women having affairs was discussed where each woman said their thoughts of women having affairs. 

The rich wife had two kids and the supermart cashier none as the husband was "exhausted most times." 

On 6/23/2019 at 11:26 AM, maribella said:

Be careful whom you befriend? 

That was not what happened though. The two women had different point of views regarding marriage and affairs and different circumstances that led them to having one. The J drama points out that illicit affairs will lead to misery and marriage is sacred, no matter that there is no longer love or respect in the marriage. Only one of the illicit partners left the marriage to live independently. In the end, everyone else went back to their unhappy marriages, there was no live happily ever after ending. The ending of the artist was the saddest one. 

There are people who think of unhappy marriages as half a loaf. Therefore it is better than none. Who is to say they are wrong even though it kept them trapped and unhappy. They will only walk away if it becomes abusive - it is not exclusive to low income or the under privileged.  Some even put up with abuse. I earnestly believe that it is healthier for the couple and their children if any, to walk away. Cheating on one's spouse is a coward's way. My guess is the rich wife is so used to the good things in life that she'd rather cheat? Though I have heard excuses that a man who only focuses on his job or his mates is also cheating his wife  of the time and attention she deserves. :lol: I might have used that excuse if there was a young, rich and good looking man at that time. Sadly none.

43 minutes ago, maribella said:

There are people who think of unhappy marriages as half a loaf. Therefore it is better than none. Who is to say they are wrong even though it kept them trapped and unhappy. They will only walk away if it becomes abusive - it is not exclusive to low income or the under privileged.  Some even put up with abuse. I earnestly believe that it is healthier for the couple and their children if any, to walk away. Cheating on one's spouse is a coward's way. My guess is the rich wife is so used to the good things in life that she'd rather cheat? Though I have heard excuses that a man who only focuses on his job or his mates is also cheating his wife  of the time and attention she deserves. :lol: I might have used that excuse if there was a young, rich and good looking man at that time. Sadly none.

The premise here is about the definition of an "ideal wife" in that specific society. This is an excerpt from one of the reviews. "The concept of "ryosai kenbo" or "good wife", is a very popular concept that is seen in films, to portray Japan's "ideal wife". In an article written by David Cozy for the Japanese Times, "it is a phrase that describes a woman who has mastered the housewifely arts – cooking, sewing, household management – and devotes those skills and her energy to maintaining a husband in a fit condition for long days at the company, and to fostering children who, if boys will succeed academically, and if girls, will become, in their turn, good wives and wise mothers."

The wives try to fulfill this definition of ideal wife but fail as they find that they have lost their indivuality. 

The husband of the rich wife sees her as a chatel, a trophy wife that enhances his manliness and tells her that she is only good for her looks suggesting that he thinks she is dimwitted even though she managed the household and the children efficiently including the dinner parties that he hosts. 

In the J drama, the character who steered my attention most was the artist. Handsome, sexy and talented, one would think that he would be the playboy type and take advantage of the opportunity to jump into an affair with the publisher's wife. However, he was reticent because first, she was his boss' wife and he needed money to support himself while working on his art, but mostly because he did not want a cheap and loose affair. His transition to becoming her lover was a slow agonizing battle with himself but it was this reticence that made the publisher's wife fall in love with him. His ending was also the saddest as he was the character most punished in the end by society and circumstance-karma (my pov) for daring to have an affair.

I see here that the actor playing the artist is Jo Dong Hyuk and he looks good in the posters. Hopefully the K drama will give that same narrative for the actor to enact with his charisma. 

@zenya22, thank you very much for the information about the Japanese drama.

I am not very surprised that the artist got the criticism he did, as he was most likely being viewed (according to Asian customs) as the one who led a good wife and a good mother astray.

BTW,  I just recently watched Bad Guys on Netflix, and Jo Dong-Hyuk amazed me. I do not recall having seen him before.

I am not sure why some Kdrama that portray infidelity get the anger response from viewers, and some do not.

I am watching now an older drama on Viki - JTBC's "Your Neighbor's Wife" - and I do not remember hearing a lot of criticism of it. But I also did not watch it at the time it aired, and was not on that thread, so I may be wrong.

In my mind, the key is to watch with a certain degree of non-attachment.  View what is offered for what it is. Sure, viewers can criticize the drama for it's flaws, but infidelity is not one of them - since it was known to begin with -that this is what the drama is about..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Photos] New Ye Ji-won Stills Added for the Upcoming Korean Drama "Love Affairs in the Afternoon"

photo1075549.jpg

New Ye Ji-won stills added for the upcoming Korean drama "Love Affairs in the Afternoon" (2019).

Directed by Kim Jeong-min-III

Written by Yoo So-jeong

Network: Channel A

With Park Ha-sun, Lee Sang-yeob, Ye Ji-won, Jo Dong-hyuk, Jung Sang-hoon, Choi Byung-mo,...

Fri, Sat 23:00
Synopsis
Based on a 2014 Japanese drama, "Hirugao: Love Affairs in the Afternoon", this is the tale of a married couple who move to the country for the husband's job. The wife gets a job at a grocery, but soon grows bored with life. That changes, however, when she meets a local biology teacher.

Broadcast starting date in Korea : 2019/07/05

photo1075548.jpg

source

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Viki has already licensed/or put up fan channels for practically everything coming up in July, but not this drama...

We only have a little over a week before the drama starts airing. It would be nice to see it licensed.

May I encourage everyone again, to please submit many requests for it, to Viki.

https://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form/

And also, ONE request ONLY to Netflix (if you have not yet sent one)

https://help.netflix.com/en/titlerequest

thank-you-glitter-smiley-emoticon.gif

8 hours ago, irilight said:

In my mind, the key is to watch with a certain degree of non-attachment.  View what is offered for what it is. Sure, viewers can criticize the drama for it's flaws, but infidelity is not one of them - since it was known to begin with -that this is what the drama is about..

I think the problem also is the wording of the synopsis or pre-showing reviews that could be seen negatively as in the synopsis that says the woman and her husband moved to the countryside, the wife gets a job at a grocery store gets bored with life.... implying that she gets into an affair because she was bored? Or the wording of the two women goading each other to have an affair making as if they were playing a game. The women are the ones portrayed negatively before the drama was even shown and could discourage viewers from even looking at the drama. 

Anyhow, Ye Ji Won also looks good as the rich publisher's wife. They really paired the couples well. 

Upcoming Drama “Love Affair In The Afternoon” Previews 3 Unhappy Marriages In New Teaser

Upcoming Drama “Love Affair In The Afternoon” Previews 3 Unhappy Marriages In New Teaser

Jun 28, 2019
by C. Hong

Upcoming Channel A drama, “Love Affairs in the Afternoon,” has previewed three of the unhappy marriages in the show.

“Love Affairs in the Afternoon” is a remake of the Japanese drama “Hirugao: Love Affairs in the Afternoon” and tells the stories of adults who engage in extramarital affairs.

While previous teasers for the drama have focused on the illicit affairs between Park Ha Sun, Lee Sang Yeob, Ye Ji Won, and Jo Dong Hyuk’s characters, the latest teaser hints at the lives of the actual married couples in the show.

Park Ha Sun and Jung Sang Hoon

park-ha-sun-jung-sang-hoon.jpg

In the drama, Son Ji Eun (Park Ha Sun) and Jin Chang Gook (Jung Sang Hoon) have been married for 5 years. Jin Chang Gook is the section chief at a social service center and Son Ji Eun works part-time at a grocery store. Although they don’t have any children, they appear to everyone as an ordinary and stable married couple.

However, appearances often belie the truth. Both of them are bored with their marriage and no longer have any interest or passion for each other. Strangely, Jin Chang Gook, despite not having any children, calls his wife “Mom.” (In Korea, spouses might call each other ‘Mom’ or ‘Dad’ after having children.)

Ye Ji Won and Choi Byung Mo

ye-ji-won-choi-byung-mo.jpg

Choi Soo Ah (Ye Ji Won) and Lee Young Jae (Choi Byung Mo) have been married for 17 years. To everyone, they look like the perfect married couple: a husband who is the CEO of a successful publishing company and a beautiful wife who was a former ballerina. They also have two lovable daughters and live in a house that is so beautiful it looks like a model home.

However, their marriage is described as a “display window.” Neither the husband nor the wife trust each other and they each live with their own secrets.

Lee Sang Yeob and Ryu Abel

Spoiler

lee-sang-yeob-ryu-abel.jpg

Yoon Jung Woo (Lee Sang Yeob) and No Min Young (Ryu Abel) have been married for 5 years. They met while studying abroad in the United States and after getting married, they spent three years as a long-distance married couple. Yoon Jung Woo taught biology at a Korean university while No Min Young continued studying for her doctorate in the United States.

No Min Young returned to Korea after getting her degree, but the couple have grown distant from one another in the three years they were apart. They are awkward with each other and act more like strangers than a married couple.

cr. Soompi

3 Reasons We’re Looking Forward To Seeing Park Ha Sun In Her New Drama “Love Affairs In The Afternoon”

3 Reasons We’re Looking Forward To Seeing Park Ha Sun In Her New Drama “Love Affairs In The Afternoon”

Jun 30, 2019
by E. Cha

Get ready for some summer passion—the premiere of “Love Affairs in the Afternoon” is less than a week away!

A remake of the 2014 Japanese series “Hirugao: Love Affairs in the Afternoon,” the upcoming Channel A drama will tell the story of adults who find themselves swept up in forbidden love and extramarital affairs. The romance melodrama will star Park Ha Sun as an ordinary married woman who falls in love with a pure-hearted man (played by Lee Sang Yeob).

Here are three reasons we’re excited to see Park Ha Sun in her new role:

1. Her first-ever steamy melodrama

Although Park Ha Sun has proven her ability to act in a wide variety of genres, including comedies and historical dramas, “Love Affairs in the Afternoon” marks the most intense melodrama of her career to date. The actress will be portraying a character who gives in to her passionate instincts, and the drama will focus on its characters’ tempestuous emotions as it tackles the bold subject of forbidden love, making viewers curious to see how she’ll pull off this new genre.

2. Her transformation into an ordinary wife

In “Love Affairs in the Afternoon,” Park Ha Sun will be playing Son Ji Eun, an ordinary part-time worker at a grocery store who ends up experiencing a far-from-ordinary love. As a modest dresser and a wife who is in a stable but boring marriage with her husband of five years, Park Ha Sun’s character wears minimal makeup and simple, unglamorous outfits. Additionally, the actress will be sporting a new hairstyle for the role.

The producers of “Love Affairs in the Afternoon” enthused, “Park Ha Sun matched her character in the drama so well that she perfectly fit the image that the producers had wanted.”

3. Her passionate acting

After she stole viewers’ hearts with her realistic, convincing performance in tvN’s “Drinking Solo,” drama fans are excited to see Park Ha Sun play another all-too-relatable character in “Love Affairs in the Afternoon.” Additionally, the intensity of her emotional acting is said to only have grown during her brief hiatus (the actress gave birth to her first child in 2017).

Park-Ha-Sun.jpg

cr. Soompi

@triplem A much clearer version of the sizzling poster here ;) 

Lee Sang Yeob And Park Ha Sun Are Romantic And Sensual For New “Love Affairs In The Afternoon” Poster

Lee Sang Yeob And Park Ha Sun Are Romantic And Sensual For New “Love Affairs In The Afternoon” Poster

Jul 1, 2019
by S. Nam

A new poster has been released for Lee Sang Yeob and Park Ha Sun’s upcoming Channel A Friday-Saturday drama “Love Affairs in the Afternoon”!

“Love Affairs in the Afternoon” is a remake of the Japanese drama “Hirugao: Love Affairs in the Afternoon” and tells the stories of adults who engage in extramarital affairs.

On July 1, the production team of “Love Affairs in the Afternoon” released a new poster of Park Ha Sun and Lee Sang Yeob. In the released poster, Park Ha Sun and Lee Sang Yeob are lying in each other’s embrace on top of a bed with white sheets. With the two close enough to hear each other’s heartbeats, they lie in bed with their eyes closed while focusing only on each other.

Love-affairs-in-the-afternoon1.jpg

At the bottom of the poster, the phrase “Slowly…Deeply…Sinking in” only helps to add more imagery to the poster. In the drama, Son Ji Eun (played by Park Ha Sun) and Yoon Jung Woo (played by Lee Sang Yeob) will fall so madly in love with each other that their worlds will be turned upside down. The title, written in red, seems to also hint at the forbidden romance to come.

Previously, “Love Affairs in the Afternoon” released individual character and couple posters for the four main leads Park Ha Sun, Lee Sang Yeob, Ye Ji Won, and Jo Dong Hyuk, as well as a main poster and teaser for the drama. All the posters perfectly portrayed the strength of love with a provocative and edgy feel. With the addition of the new poster of the leads in bed adding a touch of fondness to their sensual romance, viewers are excitedly awaiting the premiere of “Love Affairs in the Afternoon.”

cr. Soompi

20 hours ago, FSA said:

Does anyone know if I can watch this in the US?  I'm an insane Ye Ji Won fan and the thought that I could miss this is driving me crazy!

Are you okay with Chinese subs? If so, I can PM you a link that you can try from where you are. 

Archived