[Drama 2019] Love Affair in the Afternoon, 평일 오후 세시의 연인

0ly40

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am looking forward to this series every Friday. I already saw the Japanese version, but I love the chemistry of  the OTP from the korean version and how the production team are carrying the story.  It's a story as romantic as sad for being a controversial topic (the affair), but it doesn't matter for me if they follow the original story or modify it, because they are doing an excellent production.

7 minutes ago, triplem said:

Artist stuck at Long meeting in SA hubs office.  SA waits for him at the ballet concert, but no sight of him . She goes into the hall.  The show starts , lights dim & suddenly he sits next to her. 

Hubs meanwhile in office losing his temper over something at work , scolding his staff . 

Artist ex Wife at her gallery looking at the paintings & talking to her staff - the one whom I think flirts with SA hubs . 

SA hubs come to the gallery . The artist ex Wife & SA hubs have dinner discussion. Think he’s a bit exasperated with artist

Thanks @triplem for the updates live from the episode. Waiting for watch the raw version.

51 minutes ago, triplem said:

@0ly40 my favourite drama or more like obsession at the moment. Main OTP really has chemistry & gives me all the feelings! 

For me too, is one of my favorite drama. I wait for every friday to come (and is so long the wait XD) because of this drama and the twdrama "Before we get married." Thanks again @triplem for the recap.

In the  preview, they will be discovered by a text message. :blink:

@dramaninja said:-

So is this one of those uncomfortable affair dramas?

I mean they all are but their are different levels too it,like if the spouse is a piece of garbage.

:w00t: Depends on your tolerance level I guess LoL..? It's Rated 19 by Channel A Network btw so...:phew:

I like how you likened it to levels like the levels of spiciness to chicken or something!:lol: Unfortunately, all the spouses here suck which is why they cheat YO:P Garbage is pretty harsh but in this context it's a fitting description HA. 

Wait, is that SA husband in the preview who is watching the couple at the beach? Well, things are starting to get messy.....

So the bed scene is at the end of the episode. I wonder if they will continue the scene or show them in the morning in bed. That would suck lol:sweat_smile:.

Thanks @triplem for the recap:heart:.

Oh for second she scare me , when she let him go :joy: 

@lu09 the husband is open minded , he probably waiting for her to finish her fun then have chat with her :mrgreen:, the beach is so big she can’t run far :lol:But I hope bird husband didn't notice his wife outside late  & didn’t feed the bird :joy:

OMG. Ji-Eun & Jung-Woo spent the night together:blink: His wife is goin' to go ballistic when she finds out! I love how they spent the day...it was very in keeping to both their love of nature... the fireflies... walk in the forest... etc. 

Overall ep. 07 felt very Soo-Ah-centric. It was nice to see that Bad Boy Van Gogh turn up for the ballet musical date. I'm disgusted by how Soo-Ah's husband looked at that female artist:angry: it was like he was practically drooling. It's funny 'cause Soo-Ah's lovers can't get enough of her LoL & yet her idiotic husband want nothin' to do with her. He sees her only as a maid of some sort & an ornament. :rolleyes:

I've watched plenty of similar scenes where the one like Soo-Ah gets assaulted it seem to mirror what's happening in South Korea at present with their many reports of women bein' taken advantage of. All the while the women were either drunk or passed out which makes it all the more disturbing... To think South Korea is known to be safe

@triplem True lol:joy::mrgreen:. I was disappointed:ph34r: that they were gonna stop there Imao:mrgreen:.

@Ameera Ali bwahaha:lol: he is waiting for her lol. From the looks of the new stills, he is taking photos lol:sweat_smile:. I'm starting to feel sorry for her because with this prove of infidelity, she won't get anything if she gets divorce:(.

As for bird husband, hope that colleague of his took him to another round of dance lol:mrgreen::joy:. Hope he never notices until we get enough of cute scenes between them. We and they deserve it :rolleyes:

@triplem

Bus-stop scene and continue at home with MIL

Spoiler

JE: I wanted to contact you but I was afraid you'd feel uncomfortable

JW: Me too. I was afraid my text message will put you in difficult situation

(He saw the broken phone screen)

Your screen is broken.

JE: I dropped it a few days ago

JW: Was it at the time when we were talking on the phone? (but he deleted it and instead type) Ji Eun, I know I have made you feel uncomfortable, how about we... (then her text came in before he finished typing)

JE: How about we set some rules? (He looked to her) Don't look at me, what if the students discovered it...

Bus came. Girls called out to JW bus is here.

JE narration: We set some rules. We don't call each other. We delete text messages after we read it. We don't send further text if there is no reply. And we already know that the price of an affair will be more cruel than these.

At home. JE overhead the MIL and husband in the kitchen.

MIL: What is sexless marriage? Is there sex or is there no sex?

Hub: I'm really going crazy.... Is this really a normal conversation that exist between mother and son?

MIL: Shut up. Answer me quickly.

Hub: Aiyo, such a difficult word, where did you learn it from?

MIL: From Sun-ae Ahjumma

Hub: Is that ahjumma a know-it-all professor?

MIL: Don't beat around, quickly answer me. Do you both really not do that thing?

Hub: This stuff, why must I tell... (JE hit the door)

Then it's some pleasantries about JE apologizing for coming home late, and then MIL said no problem, there's more feels in living to come home late once in a while.

Hub then said: If there's more additional feels, she'll be able to run away from home (MIL kicked him)

MIL: It must be hard to work overtime.

Then it's about whether MIL had eaten already or not. Hub took the chance to chase MIL home by saying only when she leaves then they can do it (sex or sexless). So MIL left and wish them a good time together.

Hub: This is really crazy.

24 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

@triplem

Bus-stop scene and continue at home with MIL

Reveal hidden contents

JE: I wanted to contact you but I was afraid you'd feel uncomfortable

JW: Me too. I was afraid my text message will put you in difficult situation

(He saw the broken phone screen)

Your screen is broken.

JE: I dropped it a few days ago

JW: Was it at the time when we were talking on the phone? (but he deleted it and instead type) Ji Eun, I know I have made you feel uncomfortable, how about we... (then her text came in before he finished typing)

JE: How about we set some rules? (He looked to her) Don't look at me, what if the students discovered it...

Bus came. Girls called out to JW bus is here.

JE narration: We set some rules. We don't call each other. We delete text messages after we read it. We don't send further text if there is no reply. And we already know that the price of an affair will be more cruel than these.

At home. JE overhead the MIL and husband in the kitchen.

MIL: What is sexless marriage? Is there sex or is there no sex?

Hub: I'm really going crazy.... Is this really a normal conversation that exist between mother and son?

MIL: Shut up. Answer me quickly.

Hub: Aiyo, such a difficult word, where did you learn it from?

MIL: From Sun-ae Ahjumma

Hub: Is that ahjumma a know-it-all professor?

MIL: Don't beat around, quickly answer me. Do you both really not do that thing?

Hub: This stuff, why must I tell... (JE hit the door)

Then it's some pleasantries about JE apologizing for coming home late, and then MIL said no problem, there's more feels in living to come home late once in a while.

Hub then said: If there's more additional feels, she'll be able to run away from home (MIL kicked him)

MIL: It must be hard to work overtime.

Then it's about whether MIL had eaten already or not. Hub took the chance to chase MIL home by saying only when she leaves then they can do it (sex or sexless). So MIL left and wish them a good time together.

Hub: This is really crazy.

The mother in law is hilarious lol:mrgreen::joy:. What kind of discussion is she having with her own son ROFL???:lol:

The heart of Ep7 belongs to CSA whose stark terror, despair, desolation, shame and resigned hopelessness is brought to life by YJW's pitch-perfect performance, and this time, this time I finally care for her and hope she would somehow find happiness and fulfillment, even as I already know it is most probably just a pipe dream. The scene where she tentatively goes to see DHY after the hotel incident brings me to tears as we finally gain insight into CSA's psyche the day she made the fateful decision to keep the hotel appointment after all - and YJW nails every nuance of CSA's raw emotions and vulnerability as she exposed her heart bare before him:

Spoiler

DHY:

How could I have asked you to go to that kind of place?
And you. What would you have done if I had not gone?

CSA:

But you came.
I went because I missed you
I wanted to see you for a moment even if it was in that way
My brain clearly knew it could not be you
Yet my heart still hoped it was you
No... felt that it had to be you
After that, I thought it was you,
It definitely was you
I... must have gone mad over you
Mad until I lost all reason

Just as moving is their reconciliation, the Midsummer Night's Dream ballet recital, and her subsequent dance, allowing the man she loves and loves her in return, to see her true self, the one he instinctively sensed the first day they met -  the woman whose passion for dance had been buried for too long in exchange for material, perhaps realistic needs. The last was such a powerful scene and I ached so much for her - to have taken the senseless, reckless paths that she did all these years, only to finally find someone she loves at a time that can bring her and her children nothing but pain. I don't begrudge her momentary idyll - if anything, I wish it would be longer, but I already fear that it is too late and she will find the price too exacting to pay.

SJE and YJW are in their own world of romantic bliss, and it is so poignant to see them spend those precious moments together, basking in each other's love, momentarily forgetting the reality of their situation. However, again and again, we are reminded of the consequences of their actions even in their sweetest moments. YJW's description of the brief lifespan of the firefly which take a year to metamorphose from egg to adulthood, flicker for roughly 10 days, then dying after laying eggs - "Ending one's life at the brightest moment" - is yet another ominous portent of what lies in wait for them down the road... just as we find similar comparisons with the morning glory, having to dive deep into the earth to breathe, yet never able to bear fruit. Not for the first time, I wish they would be free of their marriages before embarking in the affair, though it is obvious the affair started long before they consummated it, already unfaithful to their respective spouses in their hearts.

It is interesting that DHY's ex-wife seems intent on keeping her knowledge of their affair secret, at least for now. Is it out of concern for her ex-husband, or purely due to pragmatic business considerations. I don't know yet.

The drama continues on its deliberate pace... but it is obvious that consequences are around the corner. Where it succeeds is making me fear for them even while I do not condone their actions, which is an incredible feat... and I hope against hope that there will be a silver lining somewhere, even when I believe there will be none. Well done.

Thanks @triplem for the live-caps... It’s time to prepare our hearts for the angst next week :tears: And I just realized I would be on a plane when the final episode airs! Probably won’t even have enough time to watch the penultimate episode too!! Argh...

@liddi As always, I enjoyed reading your insights of the episode. I felt for CSA too in this episode, although I still wish PD-nim could’ve made the reasons for their initial attraction clearer at the start. I also noted the fireflies reference when JW was explaining it... I wonder if the J-version has that too? Are you still watching in parallel with K-version?

1 hour ago, triplem said:

jW Wife goes meet him after school , they bump into the principal. I can’t stand her , she said something like he’ll be joining him in Seoul soon . He never agreed . He stopped her from saying more ( she’s really too much ) 

Whoa... she actually blatantly asked the principal to please fire JW... 

I wonder what her frustrations about regarding the pregnancy test pack. Whether it is a positive or negative. I mean, for a person not wanting to get their marriage registered properly, she wouldn’t be in such hurry to get pregnant, would she? Especially with a new post at the university. Seems more like a career-minded person instead of one who cannot wait to have a child. 

What's with Jung-Woo's wife's reaction over the pregnancy kit? Is it because it's a failure? Ji-Eun's hubby's floozy had the cheek to address her MIL as Mom. Naturally that angered the MIL. Both Soo-Ah & Ji-Eun's hubbies seem to now bond. Well Birds of a Feather pun intended:P  

Jung-Woo's wife just come across as a spoiled brat, entitled & bitter ugh. :rolleyes: Soo-Ah's husband becomes a crazed man on the prowl as he tracks her using a GPS device. Whether he confronted her & Do - will have to wait next week. But in preview, it's gettin' to be an uphill battle. 

I found it poignant how Soo-Ah's eldest asked if she was happy~  

@ktcjdrama I agree the drama faltered in convincing us that CSA and DHY's initial attraction was more than just her usual fling which is why I really disliked it trying to shoehorn "love" into the equation when I could not see its natural progression at all. It is to the actors', notably YJW's credit that I finally believe they do love each other after all even when the plot failed dismally to do so. 

I am still watching the J-version in parallel, though I have not shared my thoughts on them in a while. Will put them in spoilers though none of what I am about to say is anything beyond what is already shown in the K-version.

Spoiler

There are no fireflies in the J-version. Instead, Sawa and Yuichiro have already consummated their affair upon their chance meeting in the woods after he cancelled the date. What is interesting is how they playfully sought to determine the outcome of their affair based on the first person they see walking past a white surfboard outside the hotel - remain as friends if it was a woman, begin a relationship if it was a man, and never see each other again if it were a Martian. When a dog on a leash walked past the surfboard instead, Yuichiro concluded it was sort of a Martian, yet, they proceeded with the affair anyway. What I do like is Yuichiro's conflicted emotions about seeing her again after their first time and not responding when she suggested a 2nd date - afraid to step into a relationship where he couldn't call her whenever he wanted, unable to help even when she was in danger, yet despite it all, he wanted to see her. Those words made me believe that he truly considered the consequences of a relationship, even though ultimately, he gave in to his desires instead. Thus far, this is something that is lacking in YJW, which is unfortunate, as I would like to see him take responsibility and think through the consequences of embarking on an affair with SJE.

Kang Cheol's J-counterpart Tomoya, not a random lover-wannabe, is behind the hotel appointment. Here Rikako is far more blasé and in control during the hotel incident, that even if Sawa and Osamu had not arrived when they did, she would have found a way to extricate herself. Having ached over CSA's ordeal and hard-won love, Rikako remaining unchanged, still pragmatic in pursuing her affair with Osamu, fails to convince me that Osamu is any different from her other flings, and that there is love, not mere impulsive lust. If I were to compare, CSA exudes a vulnerability that makes me as a viewer want to protect her, even from herself, while Rikako's resilience makes her seem far more unsympathetic as a character.

Archived