[Drama 2019] Love Affair in the Afternoon, 평일 오후 세시의 연인

0ly40

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the highlight video with new stills,  @briseis

@liddi, Thank you for the Sooompi article about the 3 marriages.  I was relieved to read that all 3 marriages are not happy ones, in that the affairs are not the cause of a break of a beautiful marriage.

Also, thank you for the article about Park Ha-Sun. To be honest, when I first read that she was offered the lead, I almost did not expect that she would accept  - being a new wife and mom.  I was pleasantly surprised when she accepted, and very much looking forward to her and Lee Sang Yeob lighting up the screen; 

Thank you also for the article with the new poster.  Good new poster, and explanation. 

Cute photo of Park Ha-Sun with Jung Sang-Hoon too....  Come to think of it, I think this may be the first time I am going to see him in a role that is not comic...?!

And thank you for the new teasers.  I am glad Channel A is  advertising it now.

@triplem, thank you for the teaser and the new stills. I remember we read about her birds.... sort of an analogy to love birds, I think.

Also, do you know by any chance if Viu is planning on subbing this drama?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Below are a few more stills

00000110655020190626165723883.png

00000110658220190626172433675.png

Spoiler

00000110657420190626172048203.png

00000110657320190626171925497.png
00000110660120190626172949664.png

00000110654920190626165400790.png

@irilight PHS' decision to accept this role took me very much by surprise as well, and I hope that it will be the right choice for her. 

Latest preview... so she is shoplifting too in this version. Wonder if they will keep very close to the original in terms of narrative...

Photos from the press conference...

21 hours ago, triplem said:

unfortunately I don’t see this drama on Viu’s list. And Viki has not committed to sub it right?

@triplem, yes.. Sadly, so far no license from Viki.  I still suggest to continue requesting it. Better late than never. Viki has - on occasion - licensed a drama past it's premier date,  and occasionally  - even after it's run is over. So, I do encourage everyone to continue sending requests.
And thank you for your answer about Viu.

@liddi, thank you much, for this new teaser. I think it is actually my favorite from all the teasers we have seen.  I put a link to it on the Dramabeans article. Maybe they will write additional article about the drama

Thank you also for snapshots from the Press Conference.

Here is one more, that includes the spouses.

1562244699494.jpg?type=w773

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Premiere Watch: Designated Survivor: 60 Days, Weekday Afternoon Lovers

premwatch_des3.jpg

Time slot: Friday & Saturday
Broadcaster: Channel A
Genre: Romance, melo
Episode count: 16 episodes

Reasons to watch: Weekday Afternoon Lovers is a remake of a hit Japanese drama (Hirugao) and it’s a rather unconventional romance melo.

Dramabeans

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2019] Love Affair in the Afternoon, 평일 오후 세시의 연인 - Fri & Sat @ 23:00 KST - Premieres TONIGHT

Here they are talking about what kind of message they want to tell true the drama :) 

PD And Park Ha Sun Emphasize That “Love Affairs In The Afternoon” Is Not Meant To Glamorize Adultery

PD And Park Ha Sun Emphasize That “Love Affairs In The Afternoon” Is Not Meant To Glamorize Adultery

Jul 5, 2019
by L. Kim

Park Ha Sun and the director of “Love Affairs in the Afternoon” have strongly denied that the drama romanticizes affairs.

“Love Affairs in the Afternoon” is a remake of the Japanese drama “Hirugao: Love Affairs in the Afternoon” and tells the stories of adults who engage in extramarital affairs. Recently, the director and the cast of the upcoming drama attended the press conference at a hotel in Gangnam, Seoul.

Producing director (PD) Kim Jung Min shared, “It is a drama where spouses find themselves and grow up in their own conflicts and agony. For married couples, it’s a drama that gives an opportunity to reflect on what you’re headed towards. While the drama is a melodrama in genre, it contains warm emotions of love.”

Since the drama revolves around a romance between people who are already married, people may misunderstand that the drama glorifies affairs. In response, Kim Jung Min said, “Although it is on the subject of an extramarital affair, when I made it, I didn’t think it was a romance about married people who cheated. Rather than expressing a passionate melodrama, I thought the viewers would be able to experience the sensibility of the original Japanese drama, the protagonist’s conflict and agony, love, and self-reflection. Rather than portraying a beautiful image and beautiful love, I asked [the actors] for sincere, simple acting of a realistic married couple. It is true that the drama itself contains affairs. Love is [something that] ‘gradually sinks in,’ but if you watch until episode 16, there is a message about life and human beings.”

Park Ha Sun also shared her opinion, saying, “This is definitely not a drama that promotes or glorifies an affair. It won’t be something that’s uncomfortable to watch either. We feel the responsibility in regards to that aspect and are creating [the drama] while carefully checking. On the contrary, it will be more painful to sympathize with each and every character. I filmed this hoping that it will have a thoroughly sad ending. You don’t need to worry too much. If it was a regular romance drama, it would be nice to shoot a date scene, but [filming] was hard and gloomy. It is a drama that can show [people] ‘you shouldn’t do this,’ ‘if you do this, it will be hard,’ and ‘you’ll completely break down.'”

Park Ha Sun also talked about maturing as an actress. She commented, “It is a drama about the things that happen when an ordinary housewife meets a neighbor and a man. I identified with it a lot. I thought it was the best character I could do now because it’s an ordinary character.”

Lastly, Kim Jung Min stated, “We filmed at least half the drama so far. I am confident that we can develop sympathy with the actors’ performances. I’m grateful to the actors for their sincere approach.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1336719wpp/pd-and-park-ha-sun-emphasize-that-love-affairs-in-the-afternoon-is-not-meant-to-glamorize-adultery

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2019] Love Affair in the Afternoon, 평일 오후 세시의 연인 - Fri & Sat @ 23:00 KST
15 hours ago, sal2 said:

Since the drama revolves around a romance between people who are already married, people may misunderstand that the drama glorifies affairs. In response, Kim Jung Min said, “Although it is on the subject of an extramarital affair, when I made it, I didn’t think it was a romance about married people who cheated. Rather than expressing a passionate melodrama, I thought the viewers would be able to experience the sensibility of the original Japanese drama, the protagonist’s conflict and agony, love, and self-reflection. Rather than portraying a beautiful image and beautiful love, I asked [the actors] for sincere, simple acting of a realistic married couple. It is true that the drama itself contains affairs. Love is [something that] ‘gradually sinks in,’ but if you watch until episode 16, there is a message about life and human beings.”

@sal2,  Thank you for this article. It is very well written, and covers the issue of adultery in this drama well. That is an issue we discussed here too.  This article, and what both the director and Park Ha-Sun said about it, confirms what I thought too.. That is going to be a quality drama with important message about affairs within a marriage.

There was another drama I remember abut that subject, and it was also based on real life case. It was called "My Wife is Having an Affair."   Did you all see it?   It was well done, I thought.

@liddi,   Thank you for the translation of the title from Chinese.  Sounds they were set to always meet at that time, as a regular event.

Sadly, I sort of think that it will not show up on Viu or Netflix, because it says on ODK that it is an ODK Exclusive.

At least, I am happy we will get to see it with subs.

love-affairs-in-the-afternoon

The show did a good job in the introduction of our characters just in one episode, especially in giving us the set up of SJE's marital condition, enough to make me feel sympathetic for her already only 15 minutes in, wanting her to forget about her husband and just leave him :sweatingbullets:

Below is the recap

Spoiler

Scene opened with SJE on her bicycle going home. She saw and passed a neighboring house that was on fire. At home, she continued to watch the fire being put out from her balcony. From there, she also spotted the whole family of CSA looking at the fire. In another direction, there was fireworks, SJE turned her attention there, and noticed the family turned around to watch it too. She commented, that the same fire, one brings celebration, while the other brings disaster.

She was getting dinner ready when the husband came home, greeting the birds so lovingly and not even looking in her direction. They talked about the fire. He only turned to look at her when she didn't answer him whether she has fed the birds or not, because they're looking thinner. He also made a comment about the cage being dirty.

CSA's family of four sat down for a fancy dinner at a restaurant. Husband gave her a pair of earrings, to commemorate their moving into a new house. Cut to SJE eating with her husband, who is busy looking at his phone She told him about the new family that moved into the big house across from their building, wondering how much it cost to build such a house. Husband suggested to change their house, but showed her a fancy cage for birds instead on his phone, it is even named as Alhambra Castle, pffft.... SJE sarcastically remarked that the birds must be so happy to have a Chaebol daddy who buys them a castle. She left the dining table ignoring her husband. In the restroom, she washed her face and wished he would stopped calling her Omma (of the birds). Husband already in bed when she got into the bedroom. She suggested them to have a baby, but husband just say let's sleep. SJE laid down beside her and narrated that it's been 3 years since they slept together. She couldn't sleep and went out to the balcony for some fresh air. Then she saw CSA's family reaching home from their fancy dinner. She went in and talked to the birds, asking them if they're happy, that before dying, life should not just about living, like they should be flying out there instead of in the cage.

Morning time at CSA's house. She prepared breakfast while the girls showed off their dancing skills, and Dad looked on proudly. At SJE's house, breakfast is ready on the table, but husband only drank the juice she prepared saying he is running late, but he took time to say goodbye to the birds and even blew them kisses. SJE even reminded him gently Didn't you say you're running late? She saw him off to the door, and when he turned around, she smiled a bit, looking hopeful, but he just told her to give the birds a bath today.... pffttt... As he turned to walk out, he kicked and messed up her shoes. She bent down and tidied them, saying that it felt like the most precious thing in life is ruined, just like a butterfly leaving only empty dry shell behind. She looked in the mirror and said that even if her house got caught in fire today, she would probably not cry. For her, there is not one thing that she worked very hard to protect... Then her MIL came into the house. She was shocked that she knew the password of her house. MIL brought some herbal medicine to help with conceiving baby (The lady needs to be informed that they're not even sleeping together) and commented about having children, and that she should put on make up and dress nicely. SJE drank the medicine obediently. She needs to leave for work, but MIL said she will stay back to help with cleaning, including the fridge, which SJE insisted rather anxiously No, leave that to me. I'll do it after work.

And that was the first 15 minutes... LOL, I have to go for now, will be back asap to continue the recap.

Recap continued

Spoiler

SJE on her way out with bicycle. Some police passed by and asked her whether she saw anyone suspicious in relation to fire yesterday. Their car blocked CSA's car, so the two ladies had a good glance of each other. SJE narrated as she looked at CSA driving away "It's not the feeling of envious or jealousy, just that it feels that she and I live in a different world, of a different race." She continued her way to work. While arranging the bottled waters, a super annoying sunbae bumped into her causing all products to fall. This is the time YJW came to help them. Good first impression. Later on, when SJE was going to return the cart, she saw him and purposely avoided the same path.

At SJE's husband office, someone causing a scene. He handled it and was praised by a female colleague. They have good rapport. She suggested to eat together later. At first it seems like he didn't want to, but agreed anyway. She jumped in excitement.

At the supermarket, SJE and sunbae saw elegant CSA shopping. They overhead her telling her "darling" she is going for yoga. Cut to her in yoga class.

At CSA's husband office. He's having meeting to launch a new book. They need an artist. Staff suggested DHY who is still on contract with them. He drove to visit him. Not a friendly meeting. Our artist is very cold and aloof. They despise each other.

SJE is pushing a cart at the basement parking. She walked in on CSA being kissed by a man. She quickly excused herself to a corner, flashback to her witnessing her happy family moments and muttering to herself that it couldn't be her, I must have mistaken.

SJE's husband at an empty apartment checking off a list. The female colleague is there too, and shoved him an ice cream. They're being too friendly. He then got a call from SJE asking him about dinner. He lied that he has a group dinner later, and asked her to eat out by herself. SJE went to a mini-mart and looking at dosirak. It's the last one. Just then, YJW came and asked politely if she is going to take it. She quickly looked away shyly and said no. He didn't recognize her. He paid for the food and left in the rain. She looked at him and walked in another direction.

SJE's husband having dinner with the female colleague. He seemed a bit nervous, kept looking left and right. The colleague assured him that no one they know will be in that area. He got a call from SJE but he didn't pick up and send a text to her saying he's in a meeting. SJE wondered why a meeting now when he said he has dinner. She bit into the triangle rice and opened the fridge, which is already emptied by her MIL. She immediately felt sick and couldn't continue eating, threw away her triangle rice and took a medicine instead. Cut to YJW having dinner on his own and getting text from his wife that she'll be back in Korea this weekend. But he didn't respond to it.

Morning, CSA watering her plants and looking at her daughters playing together happily.

Cut to SJE waking up on her couch, looking all weak. Husband just got out from shower and answered her "you don't remember when I got home last night? You're getting old, not even remembering what happened yesterday" then he greeted the birds lovingly. SJE served him breakfast, looking very sick and weak. Husband said Oh right, I bought medicine. She seemed touched a bit, but you guessed it right, it's medicine (supplement) for the birds, because they're looking thinner. He also chided her for not being a good mum to the birds, and continued talking sweetly to the birds, asking them not to be sick. He left for work. SJE took off her apron and said to the birds, it seems that there are only you guys in his eyes. Am I invisible? She was feeling sick and called in to get sunbae switch shift with her. But super annoying sunbae is making it difficult for her, not believing she is sick. So she went for work anyway. As she was getting ready, she remembered her MIL telling her to put on make up, so she found her lipstick but alas, it is finished.... So she didn't put it on anyway and left the house.

At SJE's husband's office. The female colleague put a mug of coffee on his desk. She texted him asking him whether he got home safely last night. He replied, it's just a meal, he meant nothing out of it. She texted back saying that her coffee means nothing too. He looked at the mug of coffee, and the tumbler of coffee from home, and chose the mug instead, smiling after taking a sip...

At the supermarket. CSA was shopping and got a call that she left her cart full of stuff and rushed out. On her way, she passed SJE who is mopping a mess caused by a kid. SJE still looking very sick, and in her mind, flashing scenes of CSA kissing her lover, then kissing her children. Outside in a car, CSA is making out with yet another guy. Someone watching from afar. Then walked close to smash a pot of flowers on the windshield.

SJE leaving the supermarket but some running kids ran into her and she bumped into a display of lipstick and scattered them on the floor. As she was picking them up, she decided to take one and walked another way. As she walked out though, she was grabbed by CSA who saw her and said that in exchange for her to keep her mouth shut, she needs her help. They were near the car, where SJE was pushed to the ground by the young man who smashed the car and fainted. And then everyone was brought to the police station and supposedly CSA's alibi that she was inside the supermarket to meet her instead of in the car with the lover. So the young man who smashed her car was only smashing an empty car. Her lover was there but she said she didn't know him. YJW rushed to the police station. He is the teacher of that young man. CSA picked up on SJE's shying away reaction when she saw YJW. Refusing to be entangled in the mess, SJE left the station. CSA motioned YJW to follow her to settle his student pushing her. SJE fainted in front of the station so YJW brought her to hospital. He got her new shoes as well because her heels were broken. As they were seated in the cab (YJW front seat, she alone in back seat) on the way home, she thought to herself, what a messed up day, theft-adultery, can it be any worse? She looked down at the shoes, thinking that she is being laughed at when these things are ending, but actually the end is still so far away, that it hasn't even started yet. She looked out the window ~ end of episode

That was a very hard 1st episode to sit through, leaving me so angry and frustrated within the first few minutes, a feeling that only continues to build up throughout the entire hour. I feel so keenly for SJE's predicament, existing in a marriage where she is brushed off as insignificant, undesired, unloved, unwanted, trailing far behind the two birds that are her husband's pride and joy. Meek, lonely - merely a tool in a union where she has no standing - no more than a servant for her uncaring husband, a mother to potential grandchildren for her MIL which will never come to pass since her husband refuses to sleep with her. I wonder about his lack of sexual interest in her - is it due to the shingles she suffers, or simply disinterest in her as a woman. Yet he is friendly and kind to the girl at his workplace, and appears to be slowly leading into an affair in that direction as well. In one short hour, that introduction has me rooting for SJE to leave this sham of a marriage, so stifling and emotionally abusive that she is pretty much dead inside - brilliant setup on the script's part which has me already willing for her to find happiness when there is clearly none currently, when she is merely existing, not living.

I am not privy to CSA's reasons for having affairs thus far, which makes her a far less sympathetic character. On the surface, she has it all - a husband who dotes on her and her children, two beautiful loving daughters, and a comfortable life as the upper echelon of society. What is so lacking in her marriage and family that she needs to seek mindless affairs and jeopardise the loving family that she has? She is clearly manipulative and not above using SJE's foolish shoplifting for her own interests, just to cover up the fact that her lover has come knocking on the door. She is also observant enough to see that SJE is particularly awkward around YJW and cares enough about what he thinks of her to retract her original intentions of confessing to the police regarding her stealing of the lipstick. I don't pretend to think that CSA cares anything about SJE thus far, but can it be that her future encouragement of SJE to also indulge in an affair with YJW is due to wanting to influence the younger woman to be like her, thus validating her affairs? Or does she see the naked desolation in SJE reflecting her own which she keeps deep inside. I wonder.

There is not enough to form an opinion of YJW just yet. He appears to be a caring, compassionate man, evident in the way he stepped in to help SJE during the bottled water fracas, then rushing to the police station for his student, and markedly, the buying of sneakers to replace SJE's broken high heels, which he tenderly helps her wear. I understand from the premise that both he and his wife are in a long-distance relationship, yet there is nothing to indicate why he would be less than enthusiastic to know she is returning to Korea. For him at least, I don't see any justification for an affair so far. 

Likewise DHY, whose brief introduction only tells us he is an artist who is passionate and serious about his work, refusing to contribute to what he deems trash, or illustrate anything until he has properly understood it. Certainly we know far less of the men compared to the women, but I hope this will change as the story unfolds.

A very bleak 1st episode for sure, yet one that is well delivered, sensitively portrayed, and already has me empathising with at least 1 of the main characters. Looking forward to Ep2, and hoping that this standard is maintained if not surpassed all the way to the end.

Am very glad to see that the drama earned praise and positive reviews for its premiere despite lower ratings, and hope that the script, direction and performances will continue to be acknowledged down the road.

Lee Sang Yeob And Park Ha Sun’s New Drama “Love Affairs In The Afternoon” Premieres To Slow But Promising Start

Lee Sang Yeob And Park Ha Sun’s New Drama “Love Affairs In The Afternoon” Premieres To Slow But Promising Start

Jul 6, 2019
by E. Cha

Channel A’s “Love Affairs in the Afternoon” is off to a modest but promising start!

The new romance drama, which is a remake of the 2014 Japanese series “Hirugao: Love Affairs in the Afternoon,” tells the story of adults who find themselves swept up in forbidden love and passionate extramarital affairs. The drama stars Park Ha Sun and Lee Sang Yeob as a pair of star-crossed lovers whose ordinary lives are turned upside down after they fall in love.

On July 5, the first episode of “Love Affairs in the Afternoon” aired to positive reviews and praise. However, the drama’s premiere saw relatively low viewership ratings, scoring an average of 0.868 percent nationwide. The contrast between the premiere’s modest ratings and the enthusiastic response from those who watched it has industry-watchers waiting to see if “Love Affairs in the Afternoon” will be able to attract more viewers in the future.

SBS’s “Nokdu Flower” scored average ratings of 4.9 percent and 5.9 percent during the same time slot, while JTBC’s “Chief of Staff” scored an average rating of 4.087 percent for the night.

cr. Soompi

His fiery intensity as the bête noire in While You Were Sleeping had been felt by many. The award he received at the drama awards ceremony serves as a testament to it. Thus I think Lee Sang-yeob was perfectly cast as the inamorato who will rattle a married woman's humdrum existence. On the one hand, in Temptation (ca. 2014 with Kwon Sang-woo), her character was that of the cheated wife, while in this K-drama remake, Park Ha-sun, who is now married and is a mother, becomes the cheating wife. 

This genre always generates heated debate due to the intricacy of the issue of extra-marital affairs. The drama can actually be an opportunity to understand or to, at least, peer into the underlying dynamics of a couple's relationship and of an affair. Students of psychology and those in the career of counselling and psychotherapy will gain insight from this drama esp. if besides adeptly showing how different factors shape the couple's relationship, their psychological functioning is astutely depicted as well.

Anyhow, I wish you all a happy viewing!

Archived