[Drama 2019] Love Affair in the Afternoon, 평일 오후 세시의 연인

0ly40

@triplem You raise very good points. I think the drama does well in drawing us to root for SJE and YJW from the get-go in spite of ourselves because their own marriages/relationships were clearly crumbling, and their connection with each other was perhaps one of the very few avenues of warmth and understanding in their unhappy lives. From the start, we are confronted by how bleak and depressed SJE is in a marriage where she is so neglected, and how uneven his relationship is with NMY where she clearly calls the shots in everything. I appreciate that the buildup of their relationship is perhaps more emotional rather than just physical, which gives hope that when all the passion and excitement has waned, there is still a core bond that would tide them through the highs and lows. However, if their relationship finally works out, can it withstand the guilt of hurting those who love them, particularly in SJE's case? I don't know. Her monologue is actually inconsistent - at the one hand she always talks about asking not to be forgiven since she consciously chooses to have an affair even when she knows the backlash down the road, yet she also asks not to hurt her husband in this lifetime and to love him solely in the next. Her internal flip-flopping is exasperating for me, but perhaps not as much as YJW's procrastination.

I never thought of it that way, but you are absolutely spot-on about CSA and DHY's relationship - which has eroded from being upfront and clear-cut about their expectations, to now tender-footing around each other. In CSA's case, I believe it has to do with protecting DHY's pride as a man who is less than able to support himself much less a lover, just as it is to hide what it has cost her to leave her family and home for him - bereft of her children, living hand to mouth - so as not to compound to his guilt. He on the other hand, is astute enough to know what she, behind a veneer of contentment, has left unexpressed. Now, with the cost of their affair catching up on them, will it finally be too much for them both - him unable to stand seeing her in such pain; her unable to hold back her yearning for her children? In her case, I guess it is a matter of not treasuring what you have until you have lost it - her hurting children whom she should have considered first. Of the two couples, theirs is the one that is least likely to work out in the end, with too much weighing them down.

And here is where the drama truly succeeds, showing us imperfect people in unpalatable circumstances making unwise, frustrating choices, so it is to its credit that we still care for them, even when they infuriate us. Well done.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@triplem

Idk what to feel tbh LoL. 

I do think this drama or at least the writing has a lot of flaws at best. I'm still unclear what even brought these people to marry each other LoL!?

I'm disappointed in Ji-Eun for allowing herself to stay stagnant for so long. She knew it (her marriage) was broken but like I said it's probably her nature to hope things turn around. It's upsetting no one really talks or even feel the need to express ( so suffocating! ) 

And in Jung-Woo's case, he just seems so weak LoL? If he asserts himself with more conviction I would've felt his & Ji-Eun were worth fighting for. But I guess that's why they're both attracted to each other LoL! They're so similar. 

I agree with you on seeing how well their relationship will work out sans their spouses (if they ever get out of it) It's all a thrill as they're pursuing something forbidden. I do find them both sloppy LoL! Like Jung-Woo seriously thinks his wife couldn't make out that it was Ji-Eun's silhouette in the pics?! Or Ji-Eun showing up wherever Jung-Woo was in view of his wife wouldn't raise suspicion? Sheesh. 

Soo-Ah will get the raw end of this as she has an overbearing husband & daughters.. While I am inclined to side with Ji-Eun's husband - I mean what man would plead forgiveness & admit his mistakes to his wife's lover LMFAo?? I find it hard to forgive him 'cause he did neglect her & refused to address their issues sooner. 

This drama has truly opened a whole lot of discussion on what to look out for before delving into marriage & finding love again. 

Live caps 

resumes with library scene . They show us a bit more before the confrontation . jE had actually stretched her hand across the shelf & JW held it . Then MY came & repeat of the whole fiasco . JE walks out with a voiceover

Artist hands Aram back to SA . Lil girl bids him goodbye & ask him to visit. SA left with the kid & Husband 

JW drives MY home passing JE who was on her bike . Such a sad scene 

SA etc reach home .  The curator apologises for losing the daughter. Anyway SA took the daughter in . The curator told the husband off . Saying this is not what she’s supposed to be doing, she’s an artist after all . Anyway she packed her stuff & left 

JW took MY back home to her parents . But she just pretend like nothing happened. He’s suffocating but says nothing as she pretends to be happy 

SA older Daughter not happy that She’s back , ask her to leave . She tried talking to her , by the oldest daughter lock herself in her room . She did not pick up Artist call. 

JW walks to the park . Thinking if he should call her . jE crying in bed , the hubs hears it.  Just goes to living room

The library video goes viral . Intern saw it . Bird Husband saw it . jE colleagues all saw it ..,everyone talking about it. jW gets criticised by students at school   . JE colleagues talk behind her back.  jW gets call into principal office . Think he may be suspended.  The repercussions are not pretty 

JE at work , her nice colleague says it’s not you right , I’m sure it’s Not. jE apologise & says it is . The colleague cries , why you bad girl .the other colleague  , the one who always pick on her stops the older lady . And later comforts JE & was the more understanding one.  The irony . JE just apologised non stop 

Bird Husband goes to school & hit JW . Hold him by the collar & tells him to back off . Let’s him go after that 

SA back to her house chores . The husband comes home . Looks at her baking . Didn’t say anything to her . Then she left . Went back to artist apartment. The ex Wife was there talking to him . But from her tone , whatever advice she gives him to get a grip on himself is pointless , they start bickering. SA walks in hearing them, I think ex Wife mentions it’s unlikely SA will get a divorce from the husband. He’ll lose everything. Anyway , as she leaves , she comes face to face with SA . Says more hurtful things & leave . 

SA decides to leave . Artist holds her back as per preview 

jE siting in the sofa in the dark at home . The mum in law comes in. . Sees that JE is down . Are you not well ?  Anyway she gives JE a pair of bb shoes that she had made . JE starts to cry , tells the MIL that she wants a divorce. MIL thought it was the son’s fault. jE confessed that she was in the wrong & has another man. Kneels to apologise . MIL faints 

At the hospital, JE sits by her . The hubs came . 

They both talk outside the room. She told him mum fainted because she told him about the divorce. He’s like who is giving you a divorce. He says he won’t give it to her .  She cries . 

JW looks at the video that has gone viral & think of what the husband said to him. 

Back in hospital room , the Husband asleep on the floor. jE continues to look at MIL .Flashback to when MIL 1st met her . How happy the older lady was . You’re so pretty . JE feels so bad 

SA Daughters come back  . They look for her , she’s not home . The girls are sad.  

I think A Jin having problems at school , the husband got called in to see teacher 

i think Artist is not agreeing to work with the ex Wife in . Something about turning  Barcelona down   He tells SA about it . Oh my , is he saying he & the ex would remarry or something! ?  ( edit - sorry think he means Marry SA ) 

JE gets a call from some man regarding her husband 

JW has to leave the school. He walks out with his stuff . 

SA Husband looks for A Jin. She seems to have gone missing . Oh dear . She’s standing at the edge of a building , but the BF comes to see her. What are you doing ? He pulls her down & uses reverse psychology, if you want to jump , here’s better . He then pulls her away & says don’t be a fool. Hugs her as she cries .  Later she goes home & sees her dad . They hug 

There’s something that the hubs did not tell JE I think as they both hv a serious talk.  He kept saying he’ll do better but JE is like this is pointless . ( I know it’s hard , but he has to let her go ). He just brush aside her request for separation & goes back to the ward

JW goes to his in laws. He kneels before them & apologises . He says we’re getting a divorce . As he drives away , MY kept sending him all sorts of threatening message 

Artist gives a gift to SA . A pair of rings . Think it’s a proposal 

mY storms home. jW has packed his stuff & left . MY calls JE hubs & tells him to stop JE from leaving with JW

At work , JE gets scolded by her boss . They are using the affair to pick on her . JW sees her . Tells the man to stop . He grabs her hand & they walk out of the supermarket.

the hubs came but miss them. He ask for her , but scolded by her boss for being a useless hubs 

JW & JE drive off . It’s tough but I suppose they hv each other . He holds her hand

-eps ends - 

preview 

sweet scenes  of JE & Jw but the spouses aren’t giving up . 

The whole proposal between Do & Soo-Ah is like they're gettin' ahead of themselves. Soo-Ah's husband is still unwilling to budge even at the expense of their daughters. But maybe, it might change in the finale (K-Dramas are known to wrap things neatly in a pretty bow) Great. Now both Jung-Woo's wife & Ji-Eun's husband has become allies in keeping their cheating spouses apart LoL! The worse bein' Jung-Woo's wife, who continues to live in a delusion:rolleyes: Herself bein' quite the hypocrite & not exactly innocent either. Gee those students who uploaded the video ought to be ashamed of themselves!!!:angry::crazy:

Ji-Eun's husband is using his Mom to tie her down but she puts her foot down & presses on for a divorce. Only did it need to get this far for you to say/do something huh Ji-Eun ah!? I really wish the actress playin' Ji-Eun styled her hair better. Is it intentional LoL?? To have her hair cover her face to further push the notion she's meek..? 

Soo-Ah should've prepared herself better. If she knew this was the outcome, she should have worked out a backup plan that would've served her well & perhaps save her future with her girls. Instead she too, like Ji-Eun was content to let everything spiral out of control. At least Ji-Eun & Jung-Woo don't have children to shackle them down.  

I don't think married couple would know from the get go how their married life would be like. Some couples can grow apart or just not sexually compatible once they wed. People grow and love will change, the spark will no longer be the same if both sides don't work on it. JE is a very simple girl, I think traditional and complacent as well so meeting JW really lure her into the path that she would never dare to walk on. Without him, she will just live her life as an unhappy housewife until her husband does something about it, but now it's too late. As for JW, he might have married his wife out of pity and he seems pretty indecisive as well, his character let the situation/environment take control of him. But with JE, she brought out the more assertive him. These two characters are really meant to be together, it's just at the wrong place and the wrong time right now.

Live caps eps 14

jE & JW arrives at a home , think it used to belong to his dad . It’s a small cozy place , they stood at the window , looking at the stars.  

JE gets a call & so does JW. . ( it’s their spouses ) . He turns off the phone .my stream is not good tonight but I think he takes her phone , switched it off & puts it away as per preview 

The scene pans to their upset spouses & Artist & SA asleep with their rings 

JE , JW sit outside looking at the stars.  He says it must be hard right ...then she replies poetically . My stream lagged but saw them both smiling & laughing at the end 

SA sends  Artist off . Think he’s headed for Barcelona for work  . She tells him to stay safe . He tells her not to skip meals . He is in the plane with his ex Wife 

Next morning , JE gets up. He’s not next to her . She finds him making breakfast for her . He picked all sorts of fresh vege & explains the them to her ( gahh,  I ship them all the way ) . So sweet . Eating brekkie in the garden

Then JE hubs still trying to track her whereabouts. His mum who had been discharged, comes to their house . Think she asked where is JE ..MY calls him asking if JE is there . He says no . She says neither is JW. And the betrayed spouses meet in a cafe 

jE & JW go for a walk . They are happy . Joking & teasing each other . They go to a nearby waterfall , sweet scenes

Artist in Barcelona. Critics recognise & appreciate his work . SA looking around his house . Gets some chores done & sends him pics of the house spick & span. Artist  busy with meetings . No reply . She looks at her phone & think of all their lovey dovey moments together 

The bird Husband in depression. Won’t get up from bed . His mum had to drag him out . The house bell rings . Mum opens the door . Omo ! It’s the intern . She brought him some food , mum pushed it away . Says don’t disturb other people’s Husband . But she is like I’m really worried about him . The mum got her to go . 

More sweet scenes of JE / JW in the forest . He gives her a surprise peck on her lips . Many sweet scenes . They ask each other their respective 1st impressions of the other , this is as per preview . They talk a lot . She feels bliss . ( can they be happy like this forever pls ) 

JE has a nightmare , she’s looking for JW but suddenly the hubs & mum in law , her colleagues , MY appear . All pointing at her . She gets up & JW hugs & comforts her . ( the guilt I think will affect her) 

MY & JE hubs meet again , think they are planning something. Urggh , can’t they just be gracious about this ? 

Artist in the hotel showering , ex Wife comes to his room. Hmm. She has a scheming look on her face 

Curator comes to SA hubs office . Show him her work 

gym instructor sees pics of Artist & his ex Wife In Barcelona., he’s angry on SA behalf 

JW has to go somewhere. She seems worried . You’ll be back soon right . She ties his shoe lace as per preview. He gives her a necklace with a bird cage pendant . He has a matching one . Be careful she tells him . He tells her  not to worry. 

He decided to go see JE hubs . Wahhh he’s brave . The mum is there , yells at him to get out. Bird hubs tell mum to calm down . Jw kneels before them , apologised & to not blame JE . Of course the mum was still scolding him . The Son screams at her to stop & to leave the two of them . The hubs ask where is JE . My stream is so bad but I think JW tells him to pls let JE go . The hubs of course holds him by his collar & yells at him . 

JE finally gets a call from JW . She smiles in relief 

Next morning intern visits bird Husband & sees all the bottles of soju . He’s still fast asleep. She goes to feed the birds & help him clear up . He gets up . Ask why are you here ? She says am worried . He respond - why ? Who are you to worry? He was so harsh to her . She breaks down  in tears . She told him she likes him 

SA visits JE . JE tells SA that JW has gone to sort out their marriages . SA is like that is so courageous. SA ask if she’s happy . jE says she’s  very happy 

Little AH Ram is sick with fever . Ah Jin tried  calling dad , can’t get . She finally calls  SA . Cries & tell her the sis is sick . sA leaves to see the girls quickly 

meanwhile , JW meets MY to sort out his divorce . He apologised. So she says you still want a divorce, he’s like please do this for me . She finally relents but says give me time . But after he left , she gets a call . I don’t like this , she’s up to no good & is planning something. ( stream lagged , so not sure but I think she wants him followed as per preview) 

Ah Jin has taken the sis to hospital. SA arrives 

JW text jE who was cooking . I’ll be back soon . She ran out to greet & hug him . 

Artist finally gets time to look at all the text & pics that SA sends him . He’s still in Barcelona. 

He calls her but Ah Jin had her phone & cancelled the call . SA was busy talking to The doctor . He calls again & leaves a message . But Ah Jin , I think listened to it & cancelled it . Ah jin excused herself to the washroom & wonders if she had done the right thing 

The hubs comes &. Picks them up . The girls want her to go back with them especially the little one . She tells the hubs to take care of the lil girls , he sees her ring . He leaves quite angry 

Urghhhhh this is not good . MY comes with the bird Husband to look for jE & JW who were sound asleep . MY comes up & barge into the room . Starts yelling , she says some stuff which i missed because of bad stream . She says she’s pregnant or something . Bird Husband drags JE away . Omg . This is so darn unfair . They just stare at each other helplessly. JW tearing up as JE is dragged away 

Yup she says she’s preggers 

Spoiler

Preview is horrible . I can’t even type . I’ll post it here later :bawling:

Archived